Unofficial Portkey Archive

Adrift by dumbles
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Adrift

dumbles

Title: Adrift

Summary: It was supposed to be the perfect holiday, but a tragic accident plunges Harry and Hermione adrift in to a new, uncertain life.

Rating: PG-13 for language and adult themes

Authors Notes: Sorry, another short one! But this will get you through until the next one next week!

The back story in this chapter I stole from another fic that I was working on a long time ago, but abandoned as I just couldn't get my head fully into it. So, instead of straining my brain over that one, I included it in this and I hope you like it!

Now, as always, please don't forget to review, even if it is criticism, just as long as you're nice about it.

EIGHT

Harry closed his eyes as he span through the fireplaces and then stopped suddenly, stepping out into Kingsley's immaculate office.

'I got your owl,' Kingsley said in his deep voice. 'I'm so sorry, Harry.'

'Thanks,' Harry mumbled. He was beginning to feel tired of people telling him they were 'sorry'.

'How are you feeling?'

'Honestly?' Harry asked, sitting down on one of the chairs in front of Kingsley's desk. 'Honestly, Minister, I feel like shit. My wife and my best friend have just died. I've just come from telling my children that their mother will never come home. Hermione is a wreck and can hardly see straight, let alone think about making arrangements, so I will have to focus on doing that. I've had about 3 hours sleep in two days, and I've only eaten a handful of sandwiches and drunk half a bottle of whisky.'

It felt good to Harry to finally get some of his feelings off his chest and he felt no need to stop.

'Not to mention the guilt I feel for not having thought to get groceries when I went out earlier in the day previous. And for not going with them. And I can't stop thinking that maybe I was supposed to go with Gin, not Ron. Maybe Gin and I were both supposed to die. Maybe our children were supposed to be orphans, like me. And maybe the universe is now pissed that I lived and will kill me in some other way.'

Harry paused to take a breath and Kingsley stood and crossed the room. He stopped at a side cabinet that had an assortment of photos on it. He picked one up and turned to look at Harry.

'Harry, you are one of the few people to know about my beloved Lenore,' he said softly and slowly. 'You know that she and our son, Edward, were killed by Death Eaters in the first war. But what you don't know is why.'

Kingsley sighed, placed the photo down and headed over to the window behind his desk and looked out, even though the view didn't go anywhere.

'Lenore and I met at Hogwarts and married not long out, not unlike yourself and Ginny. We were both aiming to be Auror's, but Lenore changed her mind and wanted a family. Edward was born as I commenced Auror training. Now obviously the last thing Voldemort wanted was more Auror's, and he himself approached me. I was a talented young wizard, he told me. I would go on to do great things. And he would help me achieve those great things.

'I obviously turned him down and he fled before I could summon anyone. He did not attempt to duel or to hurt me. Instead, he told me I would regret my decision and he would give me a chance to change my mind. That night, I was summoned to the Ministry for an unexpected Auror training class. I don't know to this day why I didn't find it strange. I was ignorant then. I did not know how clever the Dark Lord was, I did not know the tricks he would use. When I arrived, there was no such class and I hastened back to our house. When I arrived, I could see the Dark Mark in the sky. Lenore and Edward had been murdered. A message had been written on the wall in some kind of blood, asking me to reconsider now.

'I joined forces with Dumbledore the day after the funerals and pushed myself through Auror training. I kept my motivations secret and fought the Dark Arts in any way I could.

'But for a long time after they died, I was a very angry man. I blamed myself for their deaths. I still do. Maybe I should have joined Voldemort. Maybe if I had, Lenore and Edward would still be here. Maybe I wouldn't be here. Maybe we all wouldn't be here.

'But Harry, my point is, that blaming yourself and feeling guilty about things that could have been done different is not very healthy. I was so angry for so long, until Dumbledore helped me. Dumbledore knew the pain all too well and he helped me through a very dark time in my life. And that is why I am telling you this. Do not blame yourself for Ginny and Ron. Feel angry if you need to, cry and rant and rave. But do not ever blame yourself.'

Kingsley fell silent and sat back down at his desk and looked at Harry, all business.

'Now, I have already spoken with Peggy and she is happy to continue acting in Hermione's job until she comes back. I didn't tell her what had happened, just explained that Hermione might not be back for a while. I have also spoken to Charlie and he is also happy to stay in your role.'

Harry nodded along, not really paying attention.

'Obviously someone will need to be promoted into Ron's job, but that can wait until you come back to work. You and Hermione can take as much time off as you want, and you can even work from home or only part time if that is what you want.'

Harry kept nodding.

'I've written a statement,' Kingsley said, handing over a sheet of parchment. 'Just something very simple.'

Harry took hold of the parchment and read:

Ministry of Magic

Ministers Office

It is with great sadness that I advise of the sad and sudden passing of Mr Ronald Weasley and Mrs Ginny Potter.

Mr Weasley was known throughout our community as a talented Auror who had dedicated his life to the continued eradication of the Dark Arts. As well as his Auror duties, Mr Weasley was often seen at his brothers' joke shop, Weasley's Wizard Wheezes, in Diagon Alley.

Mr Weasley is survived by his wife, Mrs Hermione Weasley and their two children Rose and Hugo.

Mrs Potter will be remembered as one of our finest female Quidditch players. She wrote a regular column for the Daily Prophet, bringing insightful and thoughtful comments on everything from the weekend matches to the issue of illegal potions in competitive sport.

Mrs Potter is survived by her husband, Mr Harry Potter and their three children James, Albus and Lily.

The Potter and Weasley families have requested privacy in their time of grief. A private funeral and memorial service will be held for Mr Weasley and Mrs Potter.

Harry passed the parchment back over to Kingsley, nodding.

'It's fine,' he said. 'Thank you.'

'It was no trouble.'

Harry stood up and shook Kingsley's hand over the desk.

'I'm sure I will see you soon.'

'I'm sure you will.'

Harry headed over to the fireplace and took some Floo powder from the pot on the mantle piece and threw it into the fire. He stepped into the green flames and called 'The Burrow'.