Unofficial Portkey Archive

Strangers in the Night by lilymione1203
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Strangers in the Night

lilymione1203

A/N: This was a gas to write, hadn't had a chapter like this in a bit. Anyways, hope you enjoy, PLEASE REVIEW!!!!

CHAPTER ELEVEN

He felt the frigid water pierce his skin, raining fiery needles against his muscled physique as countless tiny waterfalls flowed freely down his unclothed form, only to splatter relentlessly against the stone basin below.

James stood defeated in his icy shower, letting the water hit him with a vengeance as he stared blankly at the rippling curtain, his mind a thousand miles away- or rather, a spiraling staircase over.

He finished his bathe and rumpled his hair- long, dripping locks of darkest night that hung loosely about his hazel eyes. He looked up at his reflection, delicately placing his bullion frames atop his lengthy nose, and sighed at the doleful face that stared blankly back.

It was Saturday evening, 7:45 p.m., and he had not heard one word from Lily in exactly seven days.

He hadn't gotten one look, one stare, one glance, one eye-roll, one sigh, one purse of the lips, one anything. He was desperate for any kind of attention, whether it was positive or not. It was as if he had vanished from the face of the earth, and the only being that could revive his dying soul was her.

He reached to the table setting to his right, knocking aside the tangled toothbrushes knotted within a lump of dental floss, and wrapped his callused hands around an ancient piece of parchment, the corners tinged with ashes from a prehistoric flame.

He gently opened the deepened creases, smoothing it out gently on the marble sink, and looked for that familiar tiny dot his eyes had always searched for- 'Lily Evans', Gryffindor dormitory, west staircase, seventh floor.

He softly ran his finger over the blackened speck, slowly shutting his eyes before carefully re-folding the parchment and tossing it aside, landing with a 'clunk' among the disorganized array of miscellaneous toiletries.

James shuffled down the stairs dressed in his finest scarlet robes, embroidered with eminent traces of gold about the cuffs and collar. Every witch in the bustling common room swooned at his appearance, collectively thinking he had never looked more dashing. His hair was windswept in the most appealing manner, beckoning to have a dainty hand run through its darkened tresses. Indeed, he was undeniably handsome, but the sparkle that had once vacated his twinkling hazel eyes was anywhere but present.

"That's a boy, James! Well done, old man," Sirius beamed, clapping a hand to his back.

Remus faked a planted smile, glad to see James out of bed, but worried about his date's appearance. He wore robes of ocean blue, tiny stripes of earthy sky visible along the ample seams. Sirius donned a wicked grin beside him, wearing fitted charcoal robes, offset with a lining of magenta.

"You know, Padfoot, you're really not that many steps away from wearing frilly lingerie…"

"What are you getting at, Moony?" Sirius scoffed, looking Remus up and down with tightly furrowed brows.

"Your robes. You are aware you're sporting pink?"

"It's not pink, it's magenta," Sirius retorted, drawling out each syllable.

"Yes, magenta- a shade of pink."

"It is not!" Sirius dignified, wildly searching his robes, "The woman at the shop said it was magenta!"

"That's correct, but it's all in the pink family-"

"No, it isn't!"

"How would you know, Padfoot, you're colorblind," James spoke up for the first time in days, a small smile tugging at his lips.

"Well, we all had to make sacrifices for somebody," Sirius hissed, rounding towards Remus, "Being a dog isn't all kibbles and bits, you know."

"You gave up the ability to decipher colors for me, how touching…" Remus lamented as he dramatically placed a hand to his chest, raising his eyes to the ceiling and pretending to wipe a tear.

"Oh, SOD OFF," Sirius spat, crossing his arms in a huff to conceal the flaming pink. "The shop lady said I looked absolutely dashing, the most strikingly handsome thing she's ever seen. And I'd have to say I agree," he finished hotly, sticking his nose up in the air.

"Well, maybe 'absolutely dashing' for a girl…"

"SHUT UP, Moony, no one cares what you think. And besides, it's not up to you, it's up to the ladies," Sirius drawled, shaking his head quickly back and forth.

"Whatever floats your boat, I suppose. Which I'm assuming would be men-"

"ARRRRRGH-"

"Eh- eh- eh- hem," a female voice echoed from the top of the stairs, causing Sirius to freeze his fist in mid-air as the trio below snapped their heads to the right.

Alice was wearing a tea-length dress of sparking periwinkle, showing off her dainty ankles. The color was perfect for her eyes, bringing out the dazzling glossy irises that shone through to the ceiling. Her light-brown hair was short and sleek, bouncing about her chin as she bolstered down the stairs.

"Wow, Macmillan, you clean up pretty good for an eleph- OOF!"

"You look smashing, Alice," Remus grimaced as he removed his elbow from Sirius' gut.

"Thanks, Remus, wouldn't be here without you," she gushed as her eyes crinkled with glee. "Shall we go, then?"

"Well, er, I dunno…" Remus mumbled as he threw a pertinent glance to his left, watching James fiddle nervously with his robes.

"And where's your date, Black?" Alice shot with hands on hips, staring pointedly at the wizard in pink. Sorry, magenta.

"My dates are currently waiting on tenterhooks for my debonair prowess to waltz elegantly through the majestic front doors."

"So, you're meeting the harlots downstairs," she said flatly, drooping her eyelids with disgust.

"If that helps you," Sirius sneered, trying to conceal a smirk.

"Well lets not keep the little witches waiting," Alice intoned, turning on her heel to exit the common room.

At that moment Peter came tumbling down the boys' staircase, donning oversized robes of mustard yellow. He awkwardly clambered down the stairs, fastening several maroon buttons as he nearly tripped over his stubby feet.

"What the hell are you wearing? It looks like you mugged a bloody canary!"

"I could say the same thing to you, Padfoot- is it gender bender day?"

With the swift flick of a wand Sirius turned Peter's face a vibrant shade of eggplant, complementing his colorful robes but clashing horribly with his buttons.

The group at the bottom of the stairs stood shock-still with eyes wide-open, mouths agape at the events that had just transpired before them.

"The color's not that bad, is it? Oh well- doesn't matter, I'm going to be late for Gwendolyn!" Peter squeaked as his portly body scuttled out the portrait hole.

"Padfoot, what did you do?!" Remus hissed as his eyes bulged out like a goldfish.

"Well, he shouldn't have pushed my buttons like that! Stupid git deserves what he got. 'Snot my fault he didn't notice."

Remus smacked a hand to his face, exhaling deeply with a roll of his piercing blue eyes, "Let's just get on with it then. Far be it from me to ruin the lad's time- after all, if anyone should tell him it should be you," Remus added, narrowing his eyes at a puffed-up Sirius.

"I'm not telling him anything. Gwendolyn seemed to like him the way he was before, for reasons still unknown- if anything I improved his appearance."

"You're unbelievable, you know that?"

"I do, Moony, I do- but typically I hear that after a meeting in a broom cupboard rather than an the bottom of a staircase. First time for everything, I suppose-"

"Well, with that outfit I know it's not the first time you've heard it from a man-"

"I hate you, Moony-" Sirius said with venom, turning his gaze to his patent black shoes.

"No you don't, chap," Remus returned with a grin and a wink, "Let's not keep 'em waiting! Come on, Prongs, I'm sure Lily will be along. Right, Alice?" he goaded, offering her a nervous smile.

"Oh, right- yes! Um, she'll be down in a bit, no worries, love," she replied quickly, not meeting James' eyes.

"It's alright. It's not like I didn't expect this. Let's just go," James said with a forced smile, deflating his chest and avoiding everyone's gaze.

"Brilliant! I've got three brunettes, two blonds, and a redhead to attend to- not the one you're thinking of, Prongs- let's hit it!" Sirius proclaimed with a smack of his hands as he strode off with a sophisticated air, a hint of magenta billowing in his wake.

A/N: Okay, there you have it! I'm quite proud of this chapter- really fun to write it was. The grand masquerade is next chapter, you'll have to wait and see : ) I sincerely hoped you liked it, I'll have the next chapter up VERY soon, it's all coming together!!