Unofficial Portkey Archive

Strangers in the Night by lilymione1203
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Strangers in the Night

lilymione1203

A/N: Here it is, the LONG-awaited conclusion to "Strangers in the Night." When I wrote this I listened to the piano cover of Frank Sinatra's classic (lyrics below [which I do not own]) that I found on YouTube. If you really want to get in the mood you can listen to that while you read, (not advertising- I did not post it) but that was what inspired me to write this fic in the first place. I sincerely hope you enjoy. I'll miss writing for this : (

STRANGERS IN THE NIGHT

Strangers in the night exchanging glances
Wondring in the night
What were the chances wed be sharing love
Before the night was through.

Something in your eyes was so inviting,
Something in you smile was so exciting,
Something in my heart,
Told me I must have you.

Strangers in the night, two lonely people
We were strangers in the night
Up to the moment
When we said our first hello.
Little did we know
Love was just a glance away,
A warm embracing dance away and -

Ever since that night weve been together.
Lovers at first sight, in love forever.
It turned out so right,
For strangers in the night.

-Frank Sinatra

The crowd stood deathly still, frozen in time like a broken hourglass. The world seemed to have stopped turning for a fleeting moment, all eyes turned to the woman on the stairs. No one dared to take a breath as the sea of masked imposters parted the crowded floor, leaving an open isle to reveal a man waiting at the other end- his hand gracefully extended as if inviting her to dance.

A long, elegant gown flowed gently down the regal staircase, emerald jewels twinkling in the glowing incandescence floating high above. All was quiet as she reached the splendid balustrade, pausing to take in her mysterious surroundings. A beautiful feathered mask of onyx obscured her lovely face, a hint of peacock rising from its plumed edge. Bright green eyes blinked softly behind the partition, locking on the hazel ones directly across the way.

She faintly gathered the luscious silken material in her hands, jade crystals sparkling beneath her supple fingertips. Curls of crimson shined elegantly in the moonlight, carefully arranged above her slender form. Tiny footsteps echoed throughout the stylish ballroom, drawing nearer to their target with each passing moment.

The events unfolded as if in slow motion. Time stood still as two lost souls found one another, searching beneath an ocean of darkness pricked with twinkling stars, bathed in dancing candlelight and beams of a crescent moon. Closer and closer the two figures became, hearts racing as a dainty hand found his- fingers gently coiling around a delicate palm.

"You're late."

"Time must've gotten away from me."

"I knew that excuse would come back to bite me in the arse," James said with a small smile, his eyes locked with Lily's as they waltzed across the flourishing dance floor.

They danced in eerie silence, orange shadows bouncing off their masked visages as they twirled about the room. His eyes were so close to hers she could see tiny jade flecks muddled within the toffee brown. Swirls of chestnut swam around the pricks of gold, a tiny amber ring softly circling the glinting green.

"I didn't think you'd show."

"Well, I lost a bet didn't I?"

"I like to look at it as I won a bet," he said with a smile, turning her in a circle to see the sheath of sparkling emeralds fan out around her fitted form.

"Either way, my hand was forced."

"Is that the only reason you came, then?" James inquired as the music slowed, bringing Lily in very close. He held her hand up to his chest as they swayed underneath a magnificent chandelier, the light reflecting off Lily's placid olive orbs.

Their breathing became deep and shallow, two breaths becoming one as the haunted melody rang throughout the exquisite Hall. Disheveled locks fell softly into James' eyes as he continued to gaze at his companion, searching her perfect face for an answer.

Lily quickly turned away, breaking the entrancing stare that had captivated her minutes before. A million feelings imprisoned within her suddenly exploded, gushing throughout her body like the bursting of a dam. Heat radiated from the inside of her cheeks and swarmed her milky complexion- burning needles singeing every ounce of her fragile physique.

"You haven't spoken to me for a week, what did I do?"

"James, I- it's just-"

"Tell me, Lily," he whispered in her ear, cupping her tiny chin in his hand as he lifted her gaze to meet his own. Her glossy eyes slowly opened, raising poignantly to meet her accuser's, revealing traces of pain and sorrow with every passing blink.

"I don't know what to tell you, James! I don't! I don't know what to think and I don't know what to feel, okay? I hurt a lot of people with what I did- God, it was so stupid! I toyed with things that were none of my concern, and I did it all to save what's left of my dignity-"

"What are you talking about?"

"I can't like you, James, I just can't! I swore I'd never fall for your childish advances, Merlin knows I can do better. I don't KNOW what I feel inside- I should be with someone else, I should want someone else! Someone absolutely bloody perfect asked me to this dance and I- I - I just couldn't say yes. I should have said yes. Why? Because he's flawless! He's charming, he's smart, he's sweet, he's serious- he's, he's everything I should want. But I couldn't bring myself to do it. You know why? 'Cos you were dancing around in the back of my mind. I should want Benjy, I should BE with Benjy! But I'm not. I'm not because even though I should want him, I don't. I want more than that. I want unpredictability and sarcasm and cheekiness and flaws and mischief and-"

"Then be with me, Lily. You have no idea how long I've wanted-"

"I can't!"

"Why??"

"Because I just- I just… I feel….I should want perfect! What the hell is wrong with me? I should want to be with the 'golden boy' and have the perfect life- the gleaming trophy on his faultless shelf! But the only gold I find myself wanting is the gold that sparkles in your eyes- the hazel orbs that haunt my very existence! I've always wanted perfect and I never dreamed I'd fall for someone this far from it. The truth is- is- I, I don't want a perfect life. I don't want to be with Benjy. I don't even like Benjy! I don't like you, I can't like you, I- I don't like you because…because, James Potter, I love you-"

As the music hit its grand crescendo James pulled Lily's glittering frame into his own, pressing his warm lips onto her velvet pink ones. She felt the tenderness of his kiss, closing her eyes to soak in the moment as beams of golden sunlight bursted from within her beating heart, inches from another doing the very same.

Her hands felt the temperate satin slide beneath her fingertips as she worked her way to his windswept hair, massaging the untidy strands of midnight bliss. An uncontrollable heat surged through her body, flushing her cheeks with hidden pleasure.

James deepened their union with a flick of his tongue, feeling the moist warmth radiating from her opened mouth. He stroked the small of her back, sweeping the delicate curves of her feminine physique as he closed his eyes in forbidden ecstasy. The articulate waves surrounding the once-graven statue now swirled around a harmonious one, now flooding the room with streams of romantic delight- two strangers sharing love in the melodious starry night.

Far away a beaming clan of onlookers watched in splendid glee as James picked up his prize and carried her to the marble stairs, the pair gazing longingly in to one another's eyes as they ascended the winding breach.

Back at the table a small purple face furrowed its brows and sported a frown, turning to the others around him as he blinked his watery eyes.

"Where do you think they went?"

"STOOL!"

A/N: I hope you liked it!! It's not quite over yet- the epilogue still to come- but there's no dialogue like in the previous chapters. It's merely information you might find interesting. I greatly enjoyed writing this fic and I truly wish that you found it somewhat entertaining. I've got plenty more L/J fic ideas for the future, so don't be upset ; ) Thanks for reading.

Cheers, lilymione1203