Unofficial Portkey Archive

Strangers in the Night by lilymione1203
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Strangers in the Night

lilymione1203

A/N: This is the longest chapter yet, I hope you can hang in there!! A LOT of stuff had to go down in this chapter, so be prepared- it's the one you've been waiting for!!! : )

CHAPTER SIX

A fervent sea of black and yellow intermingled with colossal patches of scarlet and gold swarmed a thriving Quidditch pitch, teeming with anticipation at the upcoming match. The excitement was palpable as clouds parted overhead, allowing scores of gleaming sunlight to flood the brimming stadium, alive with roaring cheers and laughter.

While those around her chatted animatedly, talking freely without a care in the world, Lily Evans sat a nervous wreck, watching the contents of the entire castle pour into the stadium with unexpected zeal.

"Why are all these people here," Lily hissed as she jammed her woolen cap over her eyes, hoping to camouflage her conspicuous red hair.

"Merlin, the whole castle's here- just look at all the teachers!"

"Well, there's the usual Heads of Houses- Dorcas, you still on that bet with me?"

"Professor Sprout is married, there's no way she's shagging Flitwick!"

"I swear I saw them holding hands just now, look at that glint in her eye- she doesn't get that look when pruning Mandrakes…"

"Alice!" Dorcas squealed, rather forcefully snatching her omnioculars, "Let me see-"

"Get your own! Frank gave me these-"

"I'm not about to lose a bet without any proof-"

"Would both of you shut up! Who else is here?"

"Well, Dumbledore, of course-"

"To the first match?" Lily yelped in disbelief, jade eyes widening in terror.

"Naturally, and is that Filch?"

"Look, even Madame Pince is here! I didn't know she knew her way out of the library…"

"Does she even know what Quidditch is?"

"She's probably read a book on i-"

"SHUT UP! I don't want to know about all the attendants in the crowd-"

"You told us to tell you!"

"Well I changed my mind," Lily snapped at the blond to her left, "Why are all these people here???"

"Why do you think? They want to know the outcome of the bet. Why else would so many people come to the first match of the season? There's more people here now than at last year's Cup."

"How do all these people know???"

"You really aren't as bright as you claim, Lily. Quite thick in the head sometimes, eh, Dorcas? DORCAS??"

"Hmmm?" the fair-haired witch finally replied, snapping her head in Alice's direction. She had been rather preoccupied with her 'stolen' set of omnioculars, standing on tiptoe and searching the muddled crowd, ducking and weaving around the horde of students surrounding her, blond ringlets bobbing in tow.

"What were you do-"

"Anyway," Lily cut her off, "I don't see what the big deal is; it's just a bloody game."

"Just a bloody game? Lily, the two hottest Quidditch players in the school are fighting over you! It's bound to be a grotty bloodbath! Who wouldn't want to see it?"

"Well, I for one, think it's positively barbaric-"

"That's what makes it great!"

"But It's absolutely breathtakingly romantic," Dorcas added in a dreamy voice, brown eyes glazed over behind her pearly frames.

"Romance takes place between two people- not a blooming crowd!"

"Well, depends on where you're from and how you swing, that's just your personal definition-"

"That's disgusting!"

"Oh, come off it, Lily, why do you think witches even go to Quidditch matches-"

"Yourself included, might I add," Lily's open mouth, set to retort, snapped shut in a huff as the Head Girl rolled her eyes.

"To see the deliciously attractive male body operating in perfect form, of course! Except for Marlene, but we've always thought she's been a bit of an uphill gardener…"

"ALICE??!?"

"Well, it's true! Females just don't go with Quiddi-"

"I beg to differ," came a sudden voice from behind.

"Remus! What are you doing here?" Alice shrieked, swatting the Marauder on the arm.

"At the match? Well, I was on my way to Charms and took a few wrong turns. Wound up here- isn't that odd?"

"Oh, Remus, you cheeky prat! I meant in this particular section. Aren't you normally pinning Sirius down?"

"Not in a physical sense- I don't swing that way, love- but his commentary could use a censor."

"You know what I meant," Alice drawled to a grinning Remus, accompanied by Peter, who was out of breath and wearing a considerably large cap with a furry black tail.

"What is that?"

"And what's it doing over here?"

"That's Peter, he's a 'friend' of ours that likes to hang around- kind of like a puppy, only a tad bit messier. Maybe not quite as bright."

"NO, Remus, what's that on his head?"

"Oh, that-"

"It's a badger, thank you very much," Peter jeered with his nose stuck in the air, Remus rolling his eyes all the while, "And Gwendolyn wanted me to wear it. Said she'd go with me if I did."

"Gwendolyn Bones? Edgar's sister? She actually agreed to-"

"It's not really relevant, I actually stopped by to check on a different wager, under an amicably larger set of conditions," the sandy-haired boy said with a smirk, cutting his eyes sharply to the right.

"Oh, Remus, no one wants to talk to you. You either, Peter, you're not even supporting Gryffindor!"

"So is that who you fancy then, Lily?"

"I never sai-"

"Ah, but you just did," Remus interjected in the softest of tones, his blue eyes twinkling in the beams of refracted sunlight.

"But-"

"EH-EH-EH- HEM!! LADIES AND GENTLEMAN, BOYS AND GIRLS, HUMANS AND SLYTHERINS-"

"Black!" McGonagall yelled from her usual third row seat in the top box.

"YES, ER- ANYWAY, IT'S TIME FOR A VERY SPECIAL MATCH TODAY ON THE GOOD OL' HOGWARTS QUIDDITCH PITCH. LET'S JUST SAY MORE THAN THE CUP IS UP FOR GRABS TODAY…" Sirius' voice boomed over the now silent crowd, soon followed by thunderous applause.

"Oh, what is he doing, Remus? Shouldn't you be over there??" Lily pleaded with poignant eyes, looking at the Marauder in desperation.

"I think I'll get just as good of a show from this end of the pitch," he said with a grin.

"AND HERE THEY COME, FRESH OUT OF THE GATE, OUR NOBLE CAPTAINS (AND WOOERS) MARCH THE FIELD FOR THE SHAKING OF HANDS, AN OMINOUS GLEAM IN THEIR EYES AS THEY DRAW CLOSER TO ONE ANOTHER- THE TENSION PALPABLE AS-"

"Black! Just report the game, it's not a bloody romance novel!"

"I beg to differ," he said with the flick of his wand, his tone indignant as he whipped his head back to the players below.

"ER- ANYHOW, POTTER AND FENWICK EXCHANGE FRIENDLY GREETINGS, I ASSUME, THOUGH I WASN'T ACTUALLY DOWN THERE. IN ALL PROBABILITY IT WAS LIKELY TO BE A RATHER NASTY EXCHANGE, CONSIDERING THE PAIR IS CURRENTLY FIGHTING OVER A GIRL. AND THAT'S WHAT DAMES'LL DO TO YOU LADS, TURN A PERFECTLY FRIENDLY GAME INTO A BLOO-"

"Oh, for heaven sakes, Black! Am I going to have to take that thing away from you??"

"ERM, NO, PROFESSOR….'S WILL BE COMPETING IN TODAY'S MATCH. STUDENTS ONLY," the Marauder recovered with rapidly darting eyes.

"Is Sirius high?"

"It's hard to tell anymore," Remus droned with his head in his hands, exhaling a deep sigh.

"MOVING ON, MADAME HOOCH IS NOW ON THE FIELD, LOOKING LOVELY TODAY MIGHT I ADD- WHAT? IT WAS JUST A COMPLIMENT? I CAN'T GIVE THE TEACHERS COMPLIMENTS? YOU ALWAYS SEEM TO LIKE IT WHEN I DO IT FOR YO-"

There was a loud squelching noise coming from the top box, causing the entire crowd to cover their ears in fear of losing the ability to hear.

"THE GAME WILL NOW COMMENCE, AND ANYONE LOOKING FOR A GOOD TIME MONDAY NIGHT CAN STOP BY THE TROPHY ROOM WHERE I WILL BE RESIDING, THANKS TO A CERTAIN TRANSFIGURATION PROFESSOR…. BE THAT AS IT MAY, HERE'S OUR STARTING LINE-UP:

"FOR HUFFLEPUFF WE HAVE KEEPER EDGAR BONES, FOLLOWED BY CHASERS EMMELINE VANCE, IRENE DENHOLM, AND KEVIN WHITBY. BEATERS SEAN PEAKES AND GREGORY MACMILLAN CONFIDENTLY FOLLOW SEEKER AND CAPTAIN BENJY FENPRICK- IT SLIPPED, I PROMISE! LOOK AT MY PARCHMENT, THERE'S A TYPE-O!"

A choir of angry voices booed and hissed in unison, clad in all things black and yellow.

"AT ANY RATE, HERE COME THE 1974 HOUSE CUP CHAMPIONS, IN ALL THEIR SPLENDID GLORY! IT'S THE GALLANT AND NOBLE GRYFFINDORS, DRESSED IN REGAL ROBES OF GOLD AND SCARLET, BROOMS GLEAMING IN THE LIGHT OF THE MAGNIFICENT SUN WHICH SHINES DOWN UPON US THIS FINE SEPTEM- OW! DON'T HIT ME! WHERE'D YOU GET THAT NEWSPAPER? I'M GOING, I'M GOING!

"THE IMPENETRABLE LINE-UP READS AS FOLLOWS: THE CANTANKEROUS KEEPER DAVY GUDGEON, PROTECTED BY BILIGERANT BEATERS GIDEON AND FABIAN PREWETT, OUR BOLD AND DARING CHASERS MARLENE MCKINNON, ALBIN ASTRIX, AND CARADOC DEARBORN, REPLACING OUR FEARLESS CAPTAIN AND EXPERT SEEKER- RETURNING AFTER A FIVE YEAR ABSENCE IS NONE OTHER THAN THE ONE, THE ONLY, THE VALIANT AND CHIVALROUS JAAAAAAAAAAAAAMES POTTER!!!!!"

The crowd surrounding Lily stood on its feet in wild animosity, cheering and clapping with a deafening roar. Lily's nerves began to get the best of her as she saw the kickoff from the field, the captains taking off a bit more fervently than the remainder of their respective teams. She tried to hide herself within the crowd, whose collective eyes continually glanced in her direction, followed by smirking whispers and avid giggles.

Alice and Dorcas were not much help, calling the attention of those around them that the Head Girl was in their midst, 'blushing like a madwoman.' The players began their tumultuous flight, immersing themselves in a violent and turbulent battle their captains forced them to engage in. Lily couldn't help but wonder if what she did was wrong, placing herself in the middle of two human beings' affections.

On the one hand, there's Benjy- the golden boy with the beautiful ocean blue eyes and wavy chestnut hair, never a stitch out of place. He was a few inches taller than Lily with a nice, toned physique. One Alice would surely be proud of. He was quiet and well-mannered, a prefect for three years running. Most thought he was a shoe-in for Head Boy, but respected him nonetheless for taking Bagman's post as Hufflepuff Quidditch captain fifth year.

Benjy never fought, never pulled pranks, never did anything juvenile or childish. He was so distinguished and handsome, showing kindness to those clearly inferior to his prowess. His most amicable feature was his dazzling smile, a mouth full of polished white beauty that shone brighter than Jupiter on the clearest of nights. Indeed, many thought him perfect.

On the other hand, however, was James- the cheeky wanker that's always been up to no good. He had good intentions of course, but hardly acted on them. James was tall and broad shouldered, a once skinny lad that had developed a healthy muscle tone. His hair was the color of darkest night and always seemed untidy, usually of its own accord. He had hazel eyes that sparkled behind golden glinting frames, shining their brightest when Lily came around.

He and Lily bickered like children. He hexed those he thought were deserving. He was sarcastic. He could be arrogant. He got detentions every other day. But he was loyal, and quite intelligent too (hence the arrogance). He had personality that's for sure. And he loved Lily with all his heart. So who should Lily choose?

Deep down the redhead already knew. She knew what she wanted. She knew who she should choose and she knew who she wanted to choose. Lily was a logical girl, and love was such an illogical thing. So instead of deciding for herself, she left it up to fate. A Quidditch match.

A/N: Hahahaahahaha I know I'm so horrible! I had planned on having the entire match in one chapter, but I had to leave you wanting to come back for more! Yes, it's terrible but don't look at me like that! You'll get your fix in the next installment, I promise. DON'T HATE ME!!!! Hope you enjoyed anyway- please read and review!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!