Unofficial Portkey Archive

Strangers in the Night by lilymione1203
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Strangers in the Night

lilymione1203

A/N: Episode II of Slughorn's Masquerade. A lot of stuff is gonna be going down in the next two chapters, so be prepared…

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

"FRANK!"

Alice bolted out of her chair and wrapped her portly arms around the strapping man behind her, wearing robes of midnight blue and the broadest grin you've ever seen.

"What are you doing here? Why, how-"

Frank put a finger to her lips and softly kissed her forehead, winking at a beaming Remus sitting proudly at the table, "Dumbledore gave me direct permission. I've got the night off tonight," he finished with a smile, gazing intently on her twinkling icy pools.

"Oh, Frank…"

"Drooble's?" he asked, holding out a tiny pink cube in his upturned palm, "They say it's the best," he added awkwardly.

Alice laughed and popped it in her mouth, tucking the wrapper in the folds of her dress, "You remembered," she whispered, blue eyes brimming with tears.

"Our first date, I'll never forget it. Dorcas told me you liked bubblegum- I think I bought every piece that Honeyduke's had."

Remus watched the pair pop bright pink bubbles as they made their way across the dance floor, giggling like mad in one another's arms. Smiling to himself while his thoughts wandered about, he was suddenly jolted back to reality when a figure plopped down in the seat beside him, nearly knocking the tiny table off its legs.

"Merlin, Padfoot, you nearly gave me a heart attack!"

"Well, I'm sure you'll return the favor next full moon," he countered with a cheeky grin, sweat pouring profusely down his brow.

"Fawcett wear you out?"

"And Cauldwell, and Vance, and Abbott, and-"

"Meadowes?"

"Yeeek, not- MEADOWES?!"

Sirius and Remus both stared at the ascent of the marble entrance, eyes glued to a dazzling witch simply beaming by the wooden banister. She wore sleek black robes that fitted every curve, sparkling in the glow of the candlelight. The bust of her flowing gown was trimmed in electric pink, matching the feathered mask that complemented her pallid features. Her hair was a shiny platinum blond, trailing her back as she drifted down the magnificent flight of winding stairs.

She languidly reached the bottom, greeted by a horde of wizards with fervently outstretched hands. The Prewett boys took either arm and elegantly led her to the dance floor, both grinning like crazy with blue eyes twinkling. Indeed, Dorcas had made quite an entrance.

"Wow, she looks fantastic," Remus mused from his chair, slowly turning towards his counterpart.

"Meadowes?"

"Yes, I believe we established that."

"Look at all those codgers buzzing around her like idiots. I'm surprised Wormtail's not over there with his mouth open, a fat little plum bobbing around on a twinkie."

"You never fixed that?"

"Nah, Bones didn't seem to notice."

"What's a twinkie?"

"Aren't you in muggle studies? That's all they eat, Moony- twinkies and moonpies. It's great!"

"Some how I don't think so…"

"Anyway- I don't see how she can just dance with any smarmy old bloke that waltzes up to her. Honestly, have some taste-"

"Well, aren't you the kettle calling the cauldron black- no pun intended," Remus finished with a smirk.

"No- I'm just looking out for the poor bird. After all, I know how it fee-"

"I think you're jealous," Remus interjected, his lips pulling in to a wicked grin.

"Ugh, jealous- absurd!" Sirius scoffed, not meeting Remus' gaze as he scooted back his chair, crossing his arms and glaring at the dance floor.

"Of course not," Remus said with a hint of sarcasm, blue eyes twinkling with laughter, "I mean, after all- you probably just know her better than any of those lads do. You're a brotherly-type figure in her life, that's all. With Lily and I being prefects patrolling the corridors and Alice off with Frank, and Marlene and James at Quidditch- and the fact that you've always hated Peter," Remus added indignantly, mentally scolding himself for acknowledging it, "I suspect you've probably spent many an evening alone in the common room with Miss Meadowes. In fact, I'll bet you know her quite a bit better than those other blokes."

"I know, right?" Sirius said in a shrill voice, missing Remus' ulterior motives, "I mean, if anybody should be dancing with her, it's me!" he shouted, slamming his hands on the table and standing up in a huff.

"Well, go get her, mate!" Remus beamed, eyes dancing with delight as he swooped his head toward the thriving mass of merrymakers.

Sirius took off at an angry march toward the center of the dance floor, barreling through the gaggle of lustful wizards in his wake. He stormed up to a giggling Dorcas, encompassed in the arms of none other than Benjy Fenwick, wearing robes of striking gold and staring daggers at the Marauder ahead.

"Alright, Fenprick, hand her over-"

"I don't believe you have a say in who she dances with- as I recall, you have a variety of wenches to pick from, Meadowes is a bit out of your league."

"Yeah, like Evans was for you," Sirius sneered, his charcoal eyes glinting like hardened steel.

A flash of anger passed through Benjy's ocean orbs, causing him to release a startled Dorcas and meet Sirius' glare, "I don't think that's any of your business, Black," he finished coolly, briefly glancing at the small crowd that began to gather.

"Well, if you weren't such a puss at Quidditch maybe you could've bought yourself a date with her, but seeing as how you lost out to James for Head Boy and Lily Evans- I think we all know who the superior choice is."

"What does that have to do with anything?" Benjy shot, furrowing his brows as patches of red seeped up his robes.

"Merely stating your track record, Fenprick- so, I believe if anyone is out of Meadowes' league, it's you."

"And what's on yours, Black? 'Arrogant goof-off that's shagged the most witches Hogwarts has to offer?"

"Oooh, the 'golden boy's' got a mouth on him, does he? Not very 'golden' of you-"

"Shove it, Black, and go back to whatever whore you came in here with-"

"Not bloody likely! I'll have yo-"

"Save it for someone who cares, Black, Doris and I are-"

"It's Dorcas," a stern voice corrected, brown eyes blazing from behind a feathered mask.

"Er- right, well-"

"You bumbling git, you didn't even know her name!" Sirius cried, his eyes lighting up with a familiar spark of mischief.

"It's not like it matters, they're all the sa-" but he didn't get to finish.

Sirius had him pinned to the ground with a single blow, knocking the glinting mask right off his handsome face. Suddenly remembering he had a wand, Sirius threw a hex at Benjy so fast he didn't have time to think. Knocked out cold, Sirius daintily stepped over the masculine torso lying in the floor- brushing Dorcas off to the side while the crowd dispersed to the remainder of the dance floor.

"Care for a dance, m'lady?"

"Do you have an appointment?" Dorcas asked flatly, staring at Sirius with arms akimbo.

"Well, erm- no, but-"

"Then I can't help you then. Try looking up my office hours-"

"C'mon, Meadowes, I just saved your life!"

"Hardly. Fenwick is every witch's dream- who cares if he didn't know my name? Neither do you-"

"Now, Dorcas, I've always known your name-"

"HA! Really? I've been 'Meadowes' since you first acknowledged my presence- which was fifth year, might I add. We've been in the same house for seven-"

"Well, yeah, but-"

"And you wouldn't have given me a second glance tonight if I didn't look like this," she spurned, throwing a hip out to the left as she gracefully laid her hand upon it.

"But-"

"Do you realize I have been trying to get your attention for years, and you wouldn't even give me the bloody time of day 'til we were stuck in a common room together with no one else to talk to? It took you seven bleeding years to give me the look I've always longed for, and I've come to realize you don't deserve it!" Dorcas added with a stamp of her foot, crossing her slender arms and turning the opposite direction.

Sirius' eyes flitted about in a panic, his hand rubbing the side of his face in agony. He felt his breathing become shallow and his heart palpitate as his brain searched for answers, gyrating uncontrollably within his thick skull.

"I'm a shallow lowlife dirty rotter, alright! I admit it!" Sirius cried with his hands in his hair, tufts of matted coal sticking out between his fingers, "Those dames I snog on occasion may have all the bells and whistles, but they don't hold a candle to you, Dorcas. I really did notice you before fifth year, maybe not in the way you would've liked, but I took my lessons on women from James- and you see how well that turned out," he added sheepishly, his cheeks turning uncharacteristically red, "I've- I've really enjoyed the times we've spent together, honest- and I've really never seen a pair of eyes as pretty as your own. Even behind your glasses- they just, I dunno, do something for me…"

And Dorcas lunged at Sirius with every fiber in her tiny body, planting her mouth on his with all her might. Sirius grabbed her up in his arms and whirled her about the flourishing dance floor, never parting sanctioned lips as they spun in unexpected bliss.

James watched this from his rooted spot, a sad smile playing on his lips as he gazed through glinting frames. They were merely meters away, spinning to a halt when Sirius caught James' eye.

"Alright, Prongs?" he called with a caroused grin, blond tresses whipping about his blotchy face.

"Yeah…"

Suddenly the room grew deathly quiet, a soft collective gasp rising from a chorus of masked affairs, staring at the flight above. James quickly turned his gaze back to the regal staircase, his eyes landing on a shadowy figure surfacing in the candlelight.

A/N: One more chappie to go!!! (plus the epilogue) I know you absolutely hate me for ending it there, but it more than makes up for it in the end!!! I realize there has not been much L/J interaction these past few chapters, but next chapter is IT. It's THE ONE. The one this WHOLE story was based on, and I guarantee it will make up for anything you find dissatisfactory. This story is basically told from an outside point of view, the main characters deciding what to do based on the suggestions and motives of other characters. So, I hope you enjoyed the banter between Sirius and Remus/ Alice and Dorcas- along with Peter and Marlene on occasion. I really enjoyed writing for them and I think they made the L/J story a bit more colorful. Plus, they were present during the Maruader era- dunno if it was exactly like 'I' portrayed it, but I digress. Please read and review- the best is yet to come!! : )