Unofficial Portkey Archive

Deceptions by lilymione1203
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Deceptions

lilymione1203

A/N: Alright ladies and gents, here it is. Nearly three months and over 41,000 hits later: The last chapter. The final installment of the epic saga that is Deceptions. This has been both a joy and a burden to write, and I sincerely apologize for my near six week sabbatical. I was so UNmotivated to write "Truth and Consequence", mainly because of reader expectations and after all the buildup of the major plot twist, ch.13 didn't seem quite as appealing. But I got it done and REALLY enjoyed finishing this, the last two chapters especially. I hope you have enjoyed reading this as much as I have had writing it- this was my first H/Hr chapter fic and I loved all the attention it got. **IMPORTANT AUTHOR'S NOTE AT THE ENDING** Just thought I'd throw that in to see if you're paying attention; but yes, there is one waiting for you at the end. This chapter is about three times the length of one of my regular chapters- call it an epilogue treat : ) If there's any confusion about when this takes place, I'll answer in reviews. I don't want to spoil my open lol. So, here we are- it's nearly time, take a deep breath and- here we go: as always, happy reading…

Sparkling rays of afternoon sun streamed in from far beyond the west wing, illuminating the stuffy corridor that wrapped its way around the castle. A pair of tightly clasped hands swung to and fro between their owners, a lazily pendulum of time they wished to keep still. Turning the corner with fingers intertwined, one gazed shyly at the other, identical blushes spreading across pallid cheeks before each quickly turned away.

Regal scarlet hung loosely from the girl's tranquil form, gold-embroidered sleeves weighing heavily upon her shoulders. A large number seven was stitched across the back, the yellow fabric worn and tattered against the ruby satin. Coffee-colored ringlets bounced behind her as they strolled, slightly obscuring the letters sewn beneath her locks of brown, spelling "P-O-T-T-E-R."

"I really like my jersey on you; you wear it better than I ever could," Harry said with a grin, his face absolutely glowing as he squeezed Hermione's hand.

"Really? You don't mind?" she asked sheepishly, sweeping a strand of hair from her eyes as lashes fluttered with embarrassment.

"'Snot like I'll be needing it today anyway…" he looked away briefly, hiding the pain in his eyes as he tightened his grip on Hermione's delicate fingers.

She bit her lip with a knowing glance to the left, brows knotting in discomfort. They continued in silence down the lonely corridor, darkness slowly enveloping their surroundings with each passing step. They slowed their gait to a leisurely pace, the corner of Hermione's mouth gradually sliding up into a smirk.

"You know, I bet no one fails to notice the seeker that takes your place," Hermione fought back a laugh, watching the smile on Harry's face spread from ear to ear.

"Ha ha ha, yeah- I heard McGonagall won't even let her wear a hat."

"Well, of course not! It's not a traditional part of the sacred uniform," Hermione chortled with a roll of her eyes, beaming at the prospect of Ginny circling the pitch, sun gleaming off the glossy dome that is her skull.

"They say Madame Pomfrey can't get her hair to grow even an inch. What did you do to her?" Harry asked in awe and admiration, tilting his head to look at her over glinting frames.

Hermione sported a mischievous smile that crinkled the corners of her eyes, sparkles dancing in the rings of melting chocolate, "That potions book of yours proved to be more useful than I thought…"

"You little witch!" Harry said with rounded eyes, fighting the grin on his face as he spun Hermione to face him. "You're such a hypocrite! You've only been chiding me about that book for HOW lo- mmmmph"

But Hermione shut him up with an ambush, pushing up on the balls of her feet and plastering her mouth on to his. Harry went rigid with shock before melting into the kiss, opening his eyes to find a devious smile on his attacker's face.

"All is forgiven."

"Thought you might feel that way," Hermione said matter-of-factly, battling the burning heat that flushed her cheeks- a wispy pink that colored the fairness of her complexion.

They walked in silence for a while, winding their way into the depths of Hogwarts, the crackling torches bouncing off their beaming faces; they didn't need the candlelight to glow.

"I was thinking-"

"That's nothing new."

"Harry," Hermione scowled, swatting him on the arm as they continually slowed their measure, each footstep echoing off the dampened walls. She pursed her lips and shot him a look of contempt, Harry quickly breaking her façade with rapidly batting lashes. Hermione laughed, "Stop that- you know…you never finished your sentence from the other day."

"I was probably interrupted by a pushy brunette. They seem to think they know everything, someti- OW! You don't have to hit me!" Harry chuckled, fiercely rubbing his arm in the desolate hallway.

Hermione smirked, "You know the one I'm talking about. Remember? In the classroom…How you feel about me…?" she asked tentatively, the sudden appearance of sweat on her palms unable to be controlled. Hermione couldn't help but feel nervous about his response, doing her best to slow her breathing that currently heaved her chest up and down. Heartbeat skyrocketing, she inhaled deeply and closed her eyes, letting numbness take over her entire body.

Harry stopped in his tracks and turned to face her, grin sliding off his face as he looked Hermione over. He gently placed his hands around her elbows, sliding his fingertips softly beneath her forearm, her skin like silk above his palms. He caressed her wrists and encompassed her hands in his own, adding a slight pressure to her fingers so she would open her eyes.

Brilliant brown popped open in surprise, soaking in the handsome face mere centimeters away. Harry smiled broadly and gazed into her eyes, memorizing every shade of auburn that twinkled in the torchlight.

"Hermione Granger, I love you with every fiber of my being- and if you asked me to, I'd bow out of every Quidditch match just to spend my time with you."

"Oh, Harry…" Hermione breathed, a waterfall of pure elation gliding down her supple cheek. She blinked languidly, heart bursting with joy for every beat. Flowers bloomed in her chest, vines of sheer delight wrapping around her insides and twisting their way to her soul.

Harry brought her closer to him, feeling the warmth of her body as he enclosed her in his arms. She nuzzled her face in his neck, breathing in his mellifluous scent that sparked a fire within. Harry gently traced circles on Hermione's back, his fingers dancing across the crimson jersey that rippled with every move. She leaned her head up slightly, so close she could see the pulse in his veins, and softly kissed the crook of his neck, tender lips faintly pressing against the smoothness of his skin.

He leaned back against the stony wall, the cool surface contrasting harshly with the heat that coursed throughout his body. Flames engulfed his abdomen, spreading like wildfire to the sites of Hermione's kisses. A deep breath escaped him as velvet lips slid gracefully along his jaw line, each kiss painfully slow and sensual.

At first.

Hermione continued her endeavors at a feverish rate, quickening her pace as Harry's hands roamed across her figure. He cusped her buttocks in his palms, kneading the delicious flesh beneath the flowing cotton. She let out a small moan of encouragement, the tingling sensation in her stomach nearly too powerful to bear.

"Let's find a broom cupboard, shall we?" Harry breathed into her ear, his voice husky with desire.

"Do you have time?" Hermione panted between kisses, the words escaping her lips like steam from a hot spring.

"I always have time…" he said with a leer, eyes smoldering with olive embers that melted pools of toffee brown. Surrounded by lust and passion, the chill of the barren hallway was no match for budding romance, accelerating so rapidly it could not be contained.

Hermione's head lolled about her shoulders as Harry picked up where she left off, sending chills up and down her spine as his tongue glided effortlessly across the creamy porcelain.

"But…you've only get twenty minutes before your detention…" she finally gasped, unable to stop herself from responding to his every touch.

"You wouldn't believe what I can do in twenty minutes," Harry said with a quick raise of his brows, a gleam in his eye as he yanked Hermione's hand from its current position and held it tightly in his own- dragging her down the lonely corridor with a smile plastered to his face.

Hermione attempted to regain her composure, succumbing to sporadic giggles as she trailed clumsily behind her counterpart, slowly losing his pants with each hastened step. Harry laughed along with her, their voices a melodic harmony that bounced joyously throughout the arctic stone.

They wound their way through the sinister dungeons, beaming like mad at their ludicrous behavior, their bodies mere shadows against the rough surface of the passageway. Spotting a tiny door in the eerie glow of the torches, Harry stopped short and zagged toward the rusty bronze handle, flitting a glance to a blushing Hermione- her mouth twisted into a seductive smile, sultry stare properly in place as Harry wrenched open the flimsy mahogany.

"What the hell?"

But they were not alone.

A startled pair of eyes blinked back at them in incredulity, mouth agape and trembling as another pair slowly emerged from behind him.

"Ron??" Hermione gasped, brown eyes bulging out of their sockets as she stared at his flushing face.

"Er…"

"Hello, Harry. Hello, Hermione," a dreamy voice floated from beneath the crook of Ron's arm, waves of blond silk emerging from the darkness.

"You're shagging Loony Lovegood?!?" Hermione cried, her voice a mix of shock and laughter as Harry continued to stare with an open mouth. "No offense, Lun-a," she added quickly, making a face at her apparent faux pa.

"None taken," Luna said pensively, her eyes lingering about the top of the doorframe in mystified wonder.

Ron looked green, wide eyes looking everywhere but his formidable counterparts. Hermione noticed how unusually ruffled his hair was, and fought back a snicker as she processed their findings. Ron fiddled in his seat, or rather, the aluminum bucket he straddled, and twiddled his thumbs, "So, er… the weather's getting nice out…"

Harry crinkled his brow in confusion, awkwardly looking around to see any trace of a window, considering they were in the heart of the Hogwarts dungeons surrounded by perpetual darkness.

"Of course!" Hermione trilled with a smack to the forehead, startling those around her- minus Luna gazing at the ceiling, "It all makes sense! The Quibblers, the cloves of garlic, the daydreaming in the stairwells- you've been after Luna for a while," she finished with a triumphant grin, Ron burying his head in his hands at Hermione's spot-on accusation.

"Merlin, Ron, I'm your best mate and you couldn't even give me a hint?" Harry chided with a smirk, exchanging a knowing glance with the grinning witch on his left.

"OH, sod off, the pair of you! I can snog whoever the bloody hell I want. Now, if you'll excuse me, this cupboard's taken," Ron said in a huff, reaching for the tarnished knob as Luna gave a wistful smile.

"Now, hold on a minute- do you know what time it is? The match starts in less than twenty minutes," Harry said as he jammed his foot against the door.

Ron looked puzzled for a moment, wrinkling his nose before realization donned his freckled face, "Holy shit, the match! Merlin's pants, what are we gonna do? What am I gonna do? Oh fu-"

"Well, it's not like it really matters. We don't have much of a team, anyway," Harry replied with dark humor, laughter in his voice but hurt in his eyes; Hermione stroked his hand.

"Ginny! OH my God, is she still hanging there? Do we need to go get her?" Ron asked in high-pitched squeals, springing from his bucket as his eyes wildly searched the corridor.

"Ron, we had charms yesterday- did anything look out of place to you?" Hermione asked flatly, arching her brow at his evident lack of observation.

"Ha ha, I think somebody would have said something if they saw your sister dangling from the chalkboard. If Hermione wasn't in on it she probably would have asked if we were supposed to study her," Harry chortled, earning a well-deserved punch in the ribs.

"How'd she get down?" Ron asked suddenly, scratching his head while he stared at the floor.

"Flitwick found her Monday morning before breakfast. I-"

"She was there for three days?" Ron asked in bewilderment, plopping back down on his bucket with a 'thud.'

"You make it sound like it's a bad thing," Hermione answered in surprise, poorly concealing the smirk glued to her face.

"Well, what did she tell him?"

"I was getting to that," Harry said with impatience, staring daggers at his incessantly interrupting companions.

"I was expecting a page to McGonagall's office, but when Flitwick asked her how she ended up there, she told him Malfoy did it," Hermione said serenely, her eyes, too, sweeping the floor.

"Why?" Ron asked in amazement, forehead crinkled in vast confusion.

"I guess three days is a long time to think about things," Harry said quietly, following suit and letting his eyes find the dampened ground.

"And Malfoy just said, 'Yea, I did it'?" Ron questioned, skeptical of his motives.

Hermione bit her lip as she chanced a glance at Harry, who was suddenly very interested in the laces of Ron's shoe. "After the…incident," she said softly, a shudder passing through her fingers from a tightly gripped hand, "Malfoy was sort of…out of it…for a while. I honestly think he believed he committed the crime. No doubt he thought about it as much as we did, at one time," she said with a faint smile, attempting to lighten the mood.

"I can't believe you haven't told your mum all this," Harry said abruptly, snapping out of his trance. "I can't believe you didn't know all this; where have you been- ah…" he trailed off with a sudden light in his eyes, a stealthy grin spreading rapidly across his face as Ron's glance to the corner gave it all away.

"And we just thought you were giving us privacy…" Hermione taunted, winking at a scowling Ron.

"Would you lot go on, then? Clearly I'm not making the match and I'm too aroused to care," Ron declared as the wooden door snapped to a close, leaving a stunned Harry and Hermione alone in the frigid passageway.

Each turned to the other with mouths wide open, roguish laughter filling the hallway shortly after. Harry grabbed Hermione by the waist and pulled her to his chest, hip bones colliding as they giggled in the dark.

"But who'll play keeper?" Harry wondered aloud, searching the dim lit walls as if they held the answer.

"MCLAGGEN," a muffled voice crowed from the cupboard, ensuring more giggling from beyond its narrow boundary.

"How will he know he's the replacement? There's no way you can make it to the pitch in less than ten minutes," Hermione asked, traces of laughter still in her voice as she strolled alongside her partner.

"I have a feeling he's already wearing the proper attire. If he sees an open spot he's more than bold enough to take it. One time he tried to convince me you play Quidditch with eight," Harry said with a snort, smirking at the prospect of such a ridiculous proposal. "I'll tell you one thing, though- if I was out there today McLaggen wouldn't be allowed within a hundred feet of that pitch."

He was trying to sound light and satirical, but Hermione could see through his façade, "At least Malfoy doesn't get to play either," she added brightly, once again swinging their hands back and forth.

"True- he was so out of it in the hospital wing they could have pinned anything on him and he would have confessed. I wish they would have asked him what he was really up to," Harry said through gritted teeth, his eyes in a place far far away as they slowly continued their jaunt. "I'll eventually figure it out. If it's not too late…"

"We'll eventually figure it out," Hermione corrected with a smile, squeezing his fingers that tangled with her own, "and it's never too late."

Finally breaking his icy barriers, Harry smiled, closing his eyes and releasing the air in his chest before meeting Hermione's gaze, "What would I ever do without you?"

"Use your hand."

"Hermione!"

She giggled at the astonished look on his face, dodging his hand in an effort to gain retaliation, "You will not tickle me, Harry Potter," Hermione warned in the sternest voice she could muster, fighting back laughter as she squirmed out of his grasp.

"I'm about to show you how I 'use my hands'," he said with a wicked grin, a spark set ablaze in twinkling emeralds, shining against the velvety blackness.

"You'll have to catch me first- not so quick without your broom, are you?" Hermione prodded, a look of superiority passing her face.

She shot off like a cannon through the shadowy corridor, a fan of chestnut whipping out behind her as she ducked and weaved from Harry's wriggling fingers. Bounding down the hallway in childlike splendor, they reveled in the innocence of youth- holding on to it with tightly clasped hands before it slipped through quivering fingers, gone forever like sand through an hourglass. Little did they know how soon that day would come.

Bobbing to the left with a quick glance behind her, Hermione spun on her heel to avoid his writhing grasp, a mane of curls obscuring her view as Harry lunged to nab her. A dusky game of cat and mouse, he nearly had her cornered, stopping short when he saw Hermione frozen on the spot, cheeky smile having vanished from her face.

She gradually twisted to the forefront, meeting Harry's gaze with weary eyes. He cocked his head to the side and gently furrowed his brow, soaking in the light that barely flickered across her face. Olive eyes laden with concern, Harry searched her poignant features, his expression mirroring her own.

"We're here," she said in a dejected tone, gesturing to the large black doors that seemed to suddenly spring into view. Ancient oak towered above them, silver chains draped across the jagged wood that led to the potions chamber. Giant torches burned on either side of the sinister arch, bouncing off the grimy stone that lined the castle walls.

Harry checked his watch and felt a heavy breath escape his lips, thoughts of the match racing back to plague his mind. They stood in silence for a moment, Harry's eyes slightly out of focus as he stared at a shallow puddle on the floor.

"Don't worry about the cup, alright, Harry?" Hermione said warmly, brushing her hand along his shoulder.

He flicked his eyes up at her, grimacing in the eerie twilight.

"Hey, maybe McGonagall and Snape will call for a rematch? With the lack of key players this afternoon, you're probably not the only one who isn't going to be there," she continued with a soft voice, a tiny dimple appearing on her cheek.

Harry smiled, "Maybe," he added, drawing closer, "I don't think Snape's too pleased that his star seeker is being punished for the 'charms incident.' And as for the crowd- it's really too bad that the sun is shining, because I'm afraid they'll be blinded by the reflection from Ginny's head."

Tinkling laughter filled the ominous hall, Hermione's body gravitating toward his solid frame. Harry held her in his arms, eyes on the clock that ticked ever closer to their departure. He buried his head in her hair, smelling the wondrous scent that is Hermione, a lavish mixture of feminine beauty. Lids closed in ecstasy, they lost themselves in the embrace, longing for a moment when it didn't have to end.

Harry pulled back only slightly, tipping her face to meet his gaze. Sparkles shimmered in the languid brown, a sheet of lashes their only eclipse. Hermione blushed, drowning in the pools of green that crinkled with a smile. Their steady breathing was the only sound among the darkness, a faint crackle from the torches echoing in the background.

"I love you, Harry James Potter," Hermione whispered, tickling his neck as she breathed the words into his ear.

"I love you even more, Hermione Jean Granger," he answered gently, closing the gap between their mouths with a passionate kiss.

Tongues writhing with uncontrollable vigor, a fire was set ablaze in the bitter corridor, far outshining the gleam of the sizzling torches. Excitement bubbling in her chest, Hermione tingled all over, feeling his hands cling to her every curve. Harry's body radiated a heat that could rival the sun's, all senses swallowed by lust and desire.

"Shall we finish what we started?" he murmured in Hermione's ear, the heat of his breath sending shivers down her spine.

"But…what about Snape?" she panted, clutching the pockets of his trousers as he attacked her collarbone.

"What about him," the words tumbled out of Harry's mouth between kisses, his lips gliding along her delicate shoulder.

"Won't you be late for your detention?" she asked breathlessly, feeling the hands on her back covertly guide her away from the colossal doors.

Harry paused in front of a tiny opening hidden by shadows, ten yards from where they were previously standing. He whisked Hermione around to face him, tawny curls bouncing about her startled features. Gazing intently into questioning eyes, a wry grin made its way across his face, light dancing in magnificent emerald gems.

"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."

And all that was heard was the click of the latch as the door shut swiftly behind them.

Fin

A/N: The end. See? You got your Gone with the Wind ending after all! (if you do not know to what I'm referring, read one of the "rantier" author's notes at the end of one of the middle chapters. Not entirely sure which one :s ) I'm rather upset that it's over, but not near as upset as the lack of reviews : ( I haven't gotten hardly any- were the last chapters really that bad? Tell you what, if I get over two hundred reviews for this story I'll finish all of HBP, taking up where this left off. Maybe we'll get that Quidditch Cup rematch after all… and if I get three hundred, hell I'll rewrite Deathly Hallows. That's right- whole thing. I hated that ridiculous camping thing- I think a much needed seventh year at Hogwarts is in order. But I doubt you'll be seeing that with the way readers are responding. SO…if you read this PLEASE tell me what you think. Even if it's just TWO WORDS- like "good job!" or "you suck"- (hopefully the former and not the latter, but if that's how you really feel…). I only want to write what the reader is eager to see, so if I don't get any feedback, this is how it ends. I'd like to thank all of those who have taken the time to review, and I greatly appreciate your words of kindness. You make it all worth it!!!!

<3 forever and always,

Lilymione1203

-REVIEW- REVIEW- REVIEW- REVIEW- REVIEW- REVIEW- REVIEW- REVIEW- REVIEW- REVIEW-