Unofficial Portkey Archive

Soul Thief by Barton Fink
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Soul Thief

Barton Fink

Consummation

Harry and Hermione arrived with a soft pop in the living room of her apartment and Harry felt the sudden need to lean heavily against her in order to stay upright. He was still feeling a bit woozy from his exertions and when he glanced at the clock on the mantelpiece he was astonished to realise that it was not yet eight in the morning. So much had happened in the past few hours that he felt

a sense of amazement that it was not much later in the day.

He managed to right himself and allowed Hermione to lead him into his room where he promptly crashed down onto the soft mattress on his bed. She eyed him solemnly for a moment, clearly deciding what had to be done. This was a Hermione he knew well; the Hermione that evaluated a problem and quickly offered a solution.

`Start getting stripped,' she began `and I'll fetch you some towels. Your clothes are soaking, Harry. What did you do? Jump in the fountain or something?'

He flushed scarlet and her eyes widened. `You did jump in the fountain?' she asked incredulously.

He nodded. `I needed to cool off; I was still smouldering from the fire and it seemed the sensible thing to do. There was no other water around.'

She looked at him with a serious expression for a few moments and her eyes told him that she was not fully recovered from the shocks she'd had to deal with in the past twelve hours. He was worried about her; was trying to think of something to say to help when she surprised him by suddenly starting to laugh.

`Oh, Harry. The things you have to do,' she said, shaking her head and he could almost detect a hint of hysteria in her voice. Then her expression changed again to one of determination.

`Now; come on - we need to get those wet clothes off.' She bit her lip. `Here; let me help you,' she added as she leaned in towards him. She began to help him slip out of his sodden clothes. He raised his arms and allowed her to peel up his top and pull it over his head. He winced as the cloth abraded his side and he saw a quick flash of concern in her eyes. She tenderly stroked the afflicted spot and he tried his best not to react when her fingers brushed against his skin. A small smile flashed on her face and he was acutely aware that he was fooling no one as he turned to face her.

And the rest of them,' she said as she stood up. `I'll go and fetch you some towels,' she added, turning and heading for the bathroom. He just sat there, bare-chested and feeling distinctly nonplussed by this turn of events. He examined himself and realised that he had actually escaped pretty lightly. His hands and wrists were red but did not seem to be too badly scorched. He noticed a few red marks where the flames had burnt through his robes but he decided that things could have been a lot worse.

`I said take off the rest of them too,' said Hermione as she returned a few minutes later with a pile of soft towels in one hand; a goblet in the other. He thought she seemed a bit awkward; that her business like demeanour was a bit forced. It occurred to him that the fire and the explosion were not all they had to deal with at the moment.

`Drink this,' she said. `It's a painkilling potion and should alleviate the pain. I'll be back in a minute once I get changed,' she added, regarding her own dishevelled appearance. `Besides; I think I might have something to help with your burns.' She turned after saying this and headed towards her bedroom. `I'll be back in a minute; take the rest of your clothes off,' she ordered.

Harry smiled to himself thinking that he would prefer to hear those words come from her mouth under different circumstances. He did as bidden though and managed remove the remainder of his clothes without causing himself too much discomfort. He wrapped a towel round his waist and began to dry himself off before settling back down on the bed.

He took a long drink of the potion and settled back, enjoying the sensation of the cold pillow against his tender skin. He realised that he was still feeling quite groggy from the events of the morning and he was also aware that he too was still reeling somewhat from the double blow of Dolohov's attack and his subsequent belief that Hermione had been killed at the Ministry. He closed his eyes and willed that last thought away. Even though she was safe in the next room at the moment he knew that he would never forget the feelings of grief and despair he'd had before Hermione had arrived like a vision to claim him. It was something he was trying not to dwell on but he suspected that he might suffer nightmares about that moment for some time to come. He could not remember a single moment in his life when he had felt worse. Not when Sirius or Dumbledore - or even Ron - had been killed had he felt as bad. Even the fear he'd experienced when walking to face Voldemort paled into insignificance when compared to how he had felt when he'd thought she was dead. I wanted to die too, he realised. I couldn't function; couldn't live. I didn't want to live; not after that. He closed his eyes and it was with considerable effort that he shook himself free of such thoughts and contemplated what had happened afterwards.

They had hardly said a word to each other after Kingsley had suggested they go home. They had staggered - he had been leaning heavily on her - to the Atrium where Hermione had Apparated them both to the apartment. He smiled as he remembered their brief journey through the Ministry corridors. All eyes had been on them as they clung to each other as if fearing that the other might somehow disappear if they lost contact. Word of events and of their embrace must have spread quickly for there had been quite a large audience to witness their departure from the Atrium. Of course; he was aware that he always had been big news; perhaps the sight of a blackened, tear stained Harry Potter on the arm of Hermione Granger was enough of a spectacle to satisfy even the most ardent gossip monger.

He considered what had happened outside her office and his grin broadened. She loves me! He still could hardly believe the truth of this; still half expected to wake up and discover that the events of the morning had been some kind of twisted dream. He recalled her words; `I thought you were gone too. Thought you were gone before I'd had the chance to tell you that I love you too. That I've always loved you too.' He recalled too the moment she had placed his hand on her heart to confirm that it was real; that she was real and that it was not the wanderings of his mind that were deluding him.

He took another long pull from the goblet and allowed himself to sink further into the bed. It was no surprise that they were behaving a little bit coy towards one another; what they had shared earlier had fundamentally altered the dynamic of their relationship. Well, after thirteen years of close friendship, a mutual declaration of love was bound to need bit of time to be processed, he mused. He felt his eyes growing heavy and forced himself to sit up a little. It wouldn't do to doze off. I need to talk to Hermione…

Hermione re-entered the room a few minutes later wearing a green silk dressing gown and carrying a small pot of soothing lotion. Her eyes widened as they took in his semi-naked form on the bed but then her features softened and she smiled as she realised that he had fallen asleep. No wonder, she thought. He's been awake for over twenty four hours; he must be knackered. I am too.

She placed the pot on the dresser and regarded him thoughtfully, sitting down on the bed next to him as she did so. She gently stroked his hair as she looked down on him and she found herself drawing comfort merely by touching him. She remembered her panic and despair in the Ministry after hearing Kingsley's desperate words through the mirror. I thought you'd died, Harry, and she shuddered. She'd been so caught up in her own torment that she had not registered the moment when the building had shook around her. It was only when the sirens started to go off; only when she became aware of people running to and fro that she realised something serious had happened nearby too. After sitting in place for a few minutes she'd forced herself to go and investigate and it had been with a sense of foreboding that she'd realised that the source of the commotion seemed to be coming from the direction of her office.

Then she'd heard him scream her name. She closed her eyes as she remembered the anguish and despair in his voice. She'd hardly recognised it as Harry's; had barely been able to associate that primal howl with the man lying asleep next to her now. But then she'd seen him and the tightness around her heart had released. He'd looked desperate; he'd been smoke-blackened and soaking wet and clearly in pain but she had never seen anything so beautiful in her entire life.

He was alive.

She'd had to hold him; to touch him to convince herself that he was safe. And she'd had to tell him too; she'd had to make sure he knew she loved him. His expression when she said this would always remain with her, she knew. His despair had immediately turned to joy and she was aware that she would never need to doubt his feelings for her. His agony at the thought of her death and his euphoria at hearing of her love for him were all the proof she would ever need.

She sighed, realising that she was dog-tired too and made a decision as she looked upon his sleeping face. She gently removed his glasses and placed them on the dresser before summoning a blanket from her own room and tenderly placed it over him. Standing straight, she hesitated for a moment before untying her dressing gown and letting it fall softly to the floor, the silk caressing her naked form as it did so. She stepped over the robe and peeled the blanket back before slipping into the bed next to him. As an afterthought, she gently removed the towel from around his waist and dropped it out of the bed. She stretched one arm across him and placed her head on his chest before closing her eyes. She realised as the tiredness closed in that she felt as safe lying with Harry as she ever had in her life, despite what had happened earlier. She smiled at this thought before finally allowing the sleep to claim her.

***********

Harry woke from his slumber and was immediately aware of a presence in the bed next to him. He glanced down and could just about make out the peaceful, sleeping face of Hermione as she lay against his chest. God; she is beautiful, he thought to himself. He took a few moments to gaze upon her; on the curve of her neck; on her long brown hair that cascaded across her bare shoulder...

Her bare shoulder.

He suddenly realised that it was not just her shoulder that was bare; that she was naked in the bed next to him and that he wasn't wearing anything either. He could feel her firm, round breasts press against him; was aware that one of her long slender legs draped across his own and he took a few moments to enjoy the pleasure of having her so close. He gave her a soft squeeze and was rewarded when her eyes fluttered open and he could see her taking a few seconds to orientate herself with her surroundings. Finally she looked up to face him.

`Hi,' he whispered.

She smiled and his heart lifted to see it. `Hi, yourself,' she replied.

`How long have you been here?' he asked gently. She seemed to consider the question.

`I don't know,' she finally replied. `I don't know what the time is now.' She turned over a bit so that she was lying on top of him and Harry felt the first elements of his self-control begin to desert him. `I've been here since you nodded off,' she continued. `I realised that I was tired too so I thought I would join you.' She leaned back a bit after saying this and stretched herself out like a cat. Harry's eyes widened at the sight; widened at her supple, lithe body in all its glory. Hermione relaxed again and turned to look at him and he realised that she had an extremely mischievous look on her face. This was a side to her he had never seen before and he found it incredibly sexy.

`How are you feeling?' she asked

`Fine, I think,' he replied.

`You went through a lot today,' she said as she began to run her fingers softly across the red marks on his chest. `I suppose I should try my best not to excite or agitate you.'

He smiled. `You aren't very good at that, you know. Your best isn't very good when it comes to that.'

She flushed at his complement but leaned up towards him. They paused just inches from each other before gently moving together into the kiss. At first it was almost delicate and elusive but he soon moved past this initial stage. He gently explored her lips before probing with his tongue and tracing across the roof of her mouth and under her tongue. He felt the need rising within him but was surprised when Hermione suddenly pushed him softly back with her hands before beginning to gently kiss across his face. She found his ear, breathed her warm breath into it then nibbled the lobe before gently caressing his jaw with her tongue and began to kiss at his throat. He had never felt anything like it; the light, delicate touch from her soft lips seared through him and he knew that she would be aware of his pleasure from the hardening below. Her fingers traced across his chest and down his side as she continued working her way down his neck with her lips and reaching his chest. She took one of his nipples in her mouth and flicked her tongue over it and it was almost an exquisite agony for him as his entire body reacted to the stimulation. She did the same with the other nipple for some time before dropping even lower; casting long, sensual kisses across his navel and beyond. He was gasping and realised that she too was breathing hard but had no time to consider this as he suddenly experienced a moist warmth enclose the end of his throbbing cock. She explored the smooth head with her mouth, circling his shape with her tongue and probing gently along the base of his tip. He groaned, barely able to contain himself and when she moved lower, almost as if trying to discover how much of his length she could take it took all of his willpower not to let go there and then. Her tongue moved faster and he felt the pleasure from the suction spread across his entire body.

`Jesus, Hermione,' he managed to gasp and this seemed to serve as an encouragement to her as she picked up the pace until he found himself rising to meet her. He could take no more of this and managed to grab her head in both hands; managed to stop her before he released too early. He noticed that her face was flushed; that she too was losing control and he leant forward, taking charge as he gently pushed her onto her back.

He caressed the side of her body, feeling the smooth curve of her hip as he leaned in and gently ran his tongue down her neck towards her breasts. He kissed and caressed every inch of flesh he could find and his hand moved and felt the fullness of her breast for a moment before he cupped it gently and placed her nipple in his mouth. He was aware that she was writhing; that her eyes were closed and that she had a look of rapture on her face that he knew only came with extreme pleasure. She let out a low moan as he traced little circles with his tongue before gently nibbling at her nipple. His hand matched his tongues movement on her other breast and her nipples were hard and erect as he increased the pressure with his mouth, taking in as much of her as he could. She was breathing hard now, her back arching in ecstasy.

His hand lowered, caressing her stomach, her hip and her leg. He reached for her inner thigh and she spread her legs to allow him access and as he cupped her mound he felt delightful, damp heat. He lowered his head, his tongue still tracing circles as he slowly worked his way across her stomach and her navel. By the time he arrived between her legs she was breathing in short, sharp gasps and when his tongue found her clit she grabbed his hair and let out a low moan of pleasure. His tongue explored every fold and by now she was bucking her hips and panting heavily and he tasted a new wetness as she shuddered violently.

`Oh, God, Harry,' she gasped. `I want…' she never finished, instead letting out another low moan of pleasure.

Knowing what she wanted, he lifted his head and moved over her and as she arched to receive him he entered her gently until she embraced him fully. He drew back and began a slow, steady rhythm and she drew her legs around him to pull him deeper into her. He felt the pressure building and picked up the pace knowing that he could not last much longer but not caring for he knew too that she was reaching her own climax. He thrust again and again and realised that Hermione was in complete rapture; that she had raised up every taut muscle to receive him and he surged harder, revelling in the pleasure of the moment. Finally he could take no more and as they strained together she cried his name and waves of unimaginable pleasure surged through them both as he filled her and - with exquisite relief - he collapsed on top of her.

For a seemingly interminable length of time only their breathing could be heard. Neither could move for both had given completely to the other. He didn't want to move; didn't want to break the contact and end the moment. He gazed on her and could tell by her expression that he had pleased her. He fought for breath and marvelled at what they had just shared. He was no stranger to sex but he had never - ever - experienced anything as intense as this.

He smiled. `Bloody hell,' he finally managed. To his delight, she laughed at his senseless comment. `You are amazing,' he added, still breathing hard. `That was...that was incredible. You were incredible.'

She didn't reply; instead she tightened her grip on him with her legs and buried her head between his head and shoulder. He was content to let her do this; content to lie with her and feel her lithe form pressed against him.

They remained like that for some time, neither speaking until by unspoken agreement, he finally rolled off of her on to his back and gathered her in so that her head was once again on his chest.

`Do you have any idea how long I have wanted to do that?' he asked, shyly.

She smiled at the question. `A fair idea, Harry,' she replied. She looked mischievous again. `Was I worth the wait?' she asked tartly.

He gave her a soft squeeze. `More than you'll ever know.' He paused. `I meant everything I said to you last night,' he said quietly.

She became serious. `I know, Harry. And I hope you know I was speaking the truth this morning. It has taken us long enough to get here; let's not dwell on the past.' She smiled, remembering the advice she received from her mum. `We have a future now.'

He smiled at this remark; smiled because he finally realised the truth of her words; finally understood that he had achieved what he had been seeking since he was a teenager.

We have a future now.

***********

Thirty minutes later after having showered and changed, Harry sat on Hermione's sofa and waited for her to get ready. He was still in state of exhilaration; still scarcely believing the fundamental change in his relationship with Hermione. What they had just shared together was like nothing he'd ever experienced and whilst it seemed almost blasphemous to compare, he knew that he and Ginny had never reached such heights when they had been together. He hadn't known that it could be that good.

He glanced at the clock - three thirty. They had been asleep for nearly six hours and he was feeling much better for it. Off course, right now he had never felt better in his entire life and he was well aware that this was nothing to do with enjoying a good kip. He smiled at the thought and realised that he'd been doing that a lot today. If he wasn't careful, his face might freeze permanently into a goofy grin.

Casting his eyes around the room, he noticed an envelope on the table and - curious - he stood and lifted it, turning it over to see what it was.

Miss Hermione Granger.

He turned as Hermione entered the room and bestowed the smile on him and he knew with certainty that he would never - ever - tire of seeing that. He smiled in return and then held up the envelope, a questioning look upon his face.

She frowned. `I had forgotten about that,' she began. `I came back here looking for you last night and found it on the floor. I thought it might have been from you at first but I knew that wasn't your writing.'

`Why didn't you open it?' he asked, handing it to her.

She considered his question as she tore at the paper. `I had more important things to deal with. I needed to see you,' she replied and there was an amused glint in her eye.

Harry grinned again as she turned her attention to the letter but it soon faded as he saw her expression darken and her hand begin to shake.

`Oh, God,' she murmured before crashing down on to the sofa. He moved quickly to join her, concern in his eyes but he stopped when she thrust the letter out for him to see. Confused, he took it from her and began to read.

Miss Granger,

I am aware that you are assisting Mr Potter in attempting to clear Draco Malfoy's name. I have some information that may be of some use to you in achieving this. If you are interested then I advise you to meet me in your office first thing in the morning. I would suggest that the earlier you can make it the better as the Ministry will be quiet and I do wish to be discreet.

A friend

Harry felt his hands begin to shake as he read these words and when he looked up he could see tears in Hermione's eyes. He moved immediately to comfort her, wrapping her in a firm embrace.

`Poor Claire,' she sobbed. `She always did like to start early. She walked right into it. That trap was meant for me.' She turned into his arms. `If I hadn't been looking for you last night, I would have gone! We would have gone!'

`But we didn't,' he replied, suppressing his own feelings of horror as he stroked her hair. `We didn't go; there's no use dwelling on "ifs" Hermione.' He paused before continuing. `I'm sorry about Claire; I really am. But all I can think is that I'm glad it was her and not you. I know that sounds terrible - that no one should have died this morning - but I will be grateful to her until my dying day that she walked in to that office instead of you.'

She sobbed quietly in his arms for a few moments before Harry sensed a change in her. She finally looked up at him, her eyes blazing. `We're going to get the bastard responsible for this,' she said firmly and he had no doubt about her resolve to succeed.

`We are,' he replied softly and took another glance at the letter, suppressing a shudder as he considered just how close they had been to disaster. `C'mon,' he said as he lifted her chin to look her in the eyes and planting a soft kiss on her forehead. `We'd better let Kingsley see this. We're not going to catch anyone here.'

He was pleased to see a determined look on her face as she nodded at his words and he pulled her in to another embrace wondering just what he had done in his life to merit having such a woman love him.

After a few moments they stood and with a final nod, they Apparated back to the Ministry.

-->