Unofficial Portkey Archive

Soul Thief by Barton Fink
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Soul Thief

Barton Fink

Thanks to everyone that has taken the trouble to review - keep it up please; I am a review whore!

I feel the need to apologise in advance for the slow pace of the next few chapters - I have to insert all the little markers and false flags; clues and red herrings. The pace will pick up a bit once I have done this.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy….

BF

***********

Two's Company

For the tenth time in as many minutes, Harry Potter glanced at his watch and cursed. He was sitting in Kingsley's outer office waiting for the Minister to finish with his current appointment and his frustration at having to wait was testing his mood. He had arrived expecting to be shown straight in and had been unpleasantly surprised by the delay.

Fuck this. His patience finally exhausted, he stood to leave but was checked by the sudden opening of the door to the inner office and the appearance of the Minister. About bloody time too.

He made to greet the man but the words caught in his throat as he realised who it was that had been monopolising Kingsley's time.

Cornelius Fudge.

'Why; it's Harry Potter!' exclaimed Fudge. 'Harry, Harry. Good to see you, my boy. How are you? Still battling away, eh?'

Harry glanced at Kingsley in astonishment before turning his attention back to the man that had made his life so difficult back in his fifth year. The years had not been kind to Fudge; it was a cliché, but the man had aged. What remained of his hair was now almost entirely grey and he now walked with a slight - yet pronounced - stoop. He saw that the ex-minister was regarding him with a beaming benevolence.

'Fudge,' he managed to grumble in acknowledgment. He was emphatically not in the mood to talk to this man. Fudge did not seem to notice his reticence; or if he did, he chose to ignore it.

'I was delighted to hear that you had returned, Harry. If anyone can save young Draco, it will be you. I was just saying to the Minister that it would be a crime if this case were not investigated properly.' He turned to Kingsley. 'Well, Minister. Thanks for seeing me.'

'Thanks for coming, Cornelius,' replied Kingsley, shaking the man's hand. Harry watched in bemusement as Fudge shuffled out the door. He turned to Kingsley, his face a question.

Kingsley noticed the expression and smiled. 'Come on in, Harry, and I'll explain.'

Once the two men were seated, Harry leaned forward expectantly in his chair. 'What the hell is he doing here? I thought he was finished.'

Kingsley laughed. 'Far from it, Harry. Cornelius has proved to be a useful ally over the years.' He noticed the confusion on Harry's face and decided to elaborate. 'Cornelius is still an influential figure in the Wizengamot, Harry. I still need his advice from time to time.'

'Advice? What possible advice can that idiot give you?'

'He's not an idiot, Harry,' began Kingsley. 'I know that you had your difficulties with him in the past but he is not all bad.' He took a moment to consider his next words. 'I understand why you have such a low opinion of him, Harry. When our world needed decisive leadership he totally failed to provide it. I grant you; he was completely wrong in the way he acted after Voldemort returned, but you must not lose sight of the fact that prior to this Cornelius ran a very tight administration for a number of years. It is foolish to underestimate him.'

'But he nearly lost us the war! He treated me like shit!' Harry leaned forward. 'And let's not forget that he ordered the Kiss for Barty Crouch Jnr. And he would have done the same to Sirius too. The man is a bastard.'

'I know; but do not let this blind you to the fact that he is a highly skilled politician. He was right about a lot of things when he was Minister; it is just unfortunate that he was wrong on a particularly big issue. I need him; sometimes we must deal with those we would rather not,' he added.

'You need him? Why?'

'He has been a staunch ally in helping me steer some tricky legislation through the Wizengamot. The reforms I am proposing to some of our older laws in respect of the non-human elements of our society have generated a lot of opposition. Cornelius has proven very adept at persuading some of our opponents round to my point of view. His help has been invaluable; if you doubt me, just ask Miss Granger. She has been dealing with him too.'

'Hermione? But she hates him as much as I do!'

'Perhaps; but she has been able to put past differences aside for the sake of society as a whole. I suggest you do the same. Cornelius has his faults, but his support on this issue has been unswerving. He has worked quietly behind the scenes to change people's minds.' He held up a list. 'Look; this is another four votes he has managed to swing in our favour.'

Harry was incredulous. This did not sound like the Cornelius Fudge he remembered. But then perhaps Kingsley was correct. Fudge may have got it very wrong in respect to Voldemort, but he was not aware of any problems with his administration in times of peace. His support for the non-human element of the magical world still surprised him, but if he was honest with himself he had to admit that he hadn't really considered this aspect of Fudge's politics before. He shrugged, deciding it was not important.

'So what did you want to see me about?' he asked.

'Dawlish.' Kingsley noticed that Harry was not surprised by his answer. 'He says you insulted him.'

'I did.'

Kingsley sighed and leaned back in his chair. 'Harry, whilst I know you do not have a particularly high opinion of him, I would ask you to consider whether antagonising him is beneficial to Draco's prospects. Besides; he is a Ministry Auror and I would be grateful if you could at least respect his position, if not the man. I am aware that you have a number of unresolved issues with him but I should point out that if you show disrespect to Ministry employees, you show disrespect to my Ministry and thus to me. I would be grateful if you could desist in future.'

Harry frowned at the gentle rebuke. He had not considered Kingsley in this and he was disappointed to learn that the Minister was taking his attitude towards Dawlish as a personal affront. He had nothing but the greatest respect for Kingsley and was not happy at having caused him such discomfort.

'I'll try, Kingsley. I certainly mean no disrespect to you. I will try to control myself - even with Dawlish.'

'Thank you, Harry; that's all I ask.' He leaned back in his chair, a thoughtful look on his face. 'Tell me; have you made any progress in the case?'

Harry immediately took on a guarded look, one that was not missed by Kingsley.

'I don't need the details, Harry; just a general outline. This case has ramifications that reach to the very top. Do you think he did it?'

'No.'

'I am beginning to have my doubts too. I went over the details again last night and I have to say that in all my years as an Auror I never came across a case that was so clear cut. The only thing we don't seem to have is a photograph of Malfoy killing Cho Chang. It's too neat. And I have always been very suspicious of anonymous tip off's.'

'I know,' replied Harry, aware that Kingsley was discreetly trying to assist him. 'I was struck by both factors right away too. I really think he has been set up. I have a few leads worth pursuing, but nothing concrete. I am beginning to think that the only way to prove that Draco didn't do it is to find out who did.'

'Well, let me know if you need anything. I have never agreed with subjecting anyone to the Kiss - in fact I was going to introduce legislation to ban it soon. Not soon enough for Draco Malfoy though. He needs you to come up with something.'

'I know, but I have so much I need to look into, and not enough time.' He glanced at his watch; one forty. It took a moment for this to register in Harry's mind. One forty.

'Shit!' exclaimed Harry, getting to his feet.

'What is it?' asked Kingsley, suddenly concerned.

'She's going to kill me! Shit!'

'Harry? What is it?'

'Hermione! I was supposed to be in her office ten minutes ago! She's going to go mental! I need to go, Kingsley,' he added, heading for the door.

'Give her my regards!' shouted Kingsley, trying not to laugh as he watched Harry dash out his office. Harry had faced down Dragons, Death Eaters and even Voldemort, but he was still terrified of a wrathful Hermione Granger.

Perhaps there was still some hope for him after all.

***********

Hermione Granger glanced at the clock on her office wall and tried to suppress the feeling of panic that threatened to overwhelm her.

I went too far. I went too far and now he's run off again. Oh, God. I went too far...

She had been watching the clock all morning and the minute hand seemed to be going backwards such was the speed that the time had seemed to pass. Since waking up she had been extremely nervous; what if he doesn't show up?

She now regretted her outburst; it obviously had been too much for him but his attitude had fuelled her anger. Now - as the clock edged towards ten to two - she realised that she might have blown her only chance to help her friend. Where would he have gone?

Making a quick decision, she stood up and grabbed her bag before heading to collect her jacket from the peg. She started to put it on and it was at that moment she heard a soft rap on the door.

'Come in?' she said hopefully, one arm caught in the sleeve of her coat. She thought her heart had stopped beating for a moment and - as the door swung open and Harry stepped into the room with a nervous expression his face - she felt the relief wash over her. They stood facing each other for a long moment.

'Where the hell have you been?' she finally snapped.

He held up his hands to placate her. 'Sorry! I'm sorry; I got held up. Kingsley wanted to see me about something and I was delayed. I should have sent a note.' He noticed that she was holding her bag and that her coat was halfway on. He smiled; his amusement obvious.

'Going somewhere, Hermione? Did you think I had buggered off again?' He saw her redden and realised that he had been right on the mark. He also noticed that she looked extremely cute when embarrassed. He shook that thought aside.

'Of course not!' squeaked Hermione. 'I was just…just…'

'…just coming to kick my arse.' He laughed. 'Do you honestly think that I would run again after you threatened me last night?'

He hoped his levity would disguise the truth. In the small hours of the night as he had tossed and turned in his bed, he had considered running again. But then he'd realised that he had nowhere to run to. Whether he liked it or not he had to admit Hermione was right; he had no one else.

Hermione reddened even further at the reminder of her little speech. 'No; I suppose not. I'm glad to see you have at least learned how to do what you are told.'

'It depends who is giving me the orders. Anyone else and I would have run just to spite them, but when you threaten a man…' he said, still smiling.

She smiled in return at this; this first real attempt at a joke he had made to her since returning. 'Just so long as you remember that,' she replied tartly.

'So what did you want to see me about?' he asked.

Hermione blinked at this question before realising that she had been the one to demand his presence. 'I wanted to go over some things with you,' she replied. 'I have a few ideas that I think might help.'

He looked interested now, she noticed. She watched as he made his way over to one of the chairs by her desk and was struck by the fluid grace of his movement. He had certainly filled out in his absence and now looked more handsome than ever. She watched him sit down in one of the chairs by her desk and fold his arms, before eying her with an amused expression. She realised that he had caught her staring at him.

'Well? Are you staying or going?' he asked, raising an eyebrow.

She realised that she was still standing with one arm in the sleeve of her coat. She blushed again, slightly discomfited by the fact that he had put her on the wrong foot so easily. She became aware of the absurdity of her situation. 'Oh, piss off, Harry,' she said, laughing as she removed her coat and hung it up again. She sat down at her desk, facing him. He seemed to be in a better mood today, but she was aware of the fragility - the brittleness - of her friend. She decided that a professional approach was probably the best one at the minute. She considered carefully what to say next.

'I spent half the night wondering the best way to find a specific elf, but I finally came up with something.' That the other half of the night had been spent worrying about Harry was something he did not need to know.

'What?'

'We are going to need to enlist some outside help, I'm afraid.'

'But I need this to remain a secret. Who else can we trust?' There was a hint of panic in his voice as he wondered who Hermione had asked to help. It could be anyone - even Ginny - and he was not ready for such encounters at the minute.

Hermione sensed his discomfort. 'Relax, Harry. It's someone that I think you will be happy to see.'

'Who? Where is he?'

'I can't ask him to come here; only you can. It's an old friend that will be glad to see you.' She noticed that he still hadn't worked it out and sighed in exasperation. It had to be him that said the name. 'Harry? Who looked after us for a while back in seventh year?'

He looked thoughtful for a moment before it finally hit him.

'Kreacher?' he asked.

And then nearly fell out of his chair at the sudden crack that rent the air. When he recovered his composure, he was aware of a small form clutching his leg. Despite himself, he smiled.

'Kreacher!' he exclaimed and there was genuine warmth in his voice. The little elf had been a staunch ally since the defeat of Voldemort and had accepted Harry as his master without demur. In fact, he had been positively delighted to serve him.

'Master has returned!' exclaimed the elf, clinging on to Harry's leg for dear life. 'Kreacher knew master would return one day and he is so happy to see him again. How can I serve master?'

'It's good to see you again too, Kreacher. How are you?'

'I'm fine now, master. Kreacher is fine now that you have returned.'

Harry felt more than a little guilty as he regarded the elf. He had not given Kreacher a second thought when he had left and now felt terrible about this.

'I'm sorry I left, Kreacher. I should have spoken to you.'

'No matter, master; you are here now. How can I serve?'

'I need you to try and track down an elf for me, Kreacher. I'll let Hermione explain.'

Harry watched with interest as Hermione outlined to Kreacher what they were looking for. He noticed that her countenance took on a different complexion when talking to the little elf; her face almost lit up and the lines of stress and tiredness disappeared from her brow. He also noticed that she looked extremely good in an expensively cut navy business suit. The skirt in particular hugged her form and as for the white blouse…

Jesus, Harry. Get a grip! This is Hermione!

Shaking his head, he turned away from the little tableau and let his thoughts wander to less dangerous subjects. He allowed himself to remember with fondness just how the little elf had totally changed his attitude towards them once he had been presented with the locket in Grimmauld Place. After that, Kreacher could not do enough for them. He remembered too with amusement Kreacher tracking down Mundungus when they needed to find him. Poor Dung - he had been terrified.

A light bulb went off in his head as he remembered this. He waited until Hermione had finished giving the elf his instructions before speaking again.

'Kreacher? Do you think you could do something else for me please?'

'Of course, Master Harry. Anything.'

'Do you remember the wizard you fetched for us when we were looking for the locket?'

'Kreacher remembers the filthy little thief.'

'Good. Do you think you could track him down again?' He noticed the curious expression on Hermione's face, but ignored it for the moment.

'Yes, master. Kreacher could fetch him right now if you want.' He noticed the surprise on Harry's face. 'When I tracked him the first time I took a note of his magical signature in case the dirty little thief stole from us again. Kreacher always knows exactly where he is.'

'Fantastic! Could you get him for me now please? And, Kreacher? Don't threaten him. Just tell him that I have a proposition for him. Ask him nicely. Tell him there could be a few galleons in it for him. That should get his attention.'

The elf nodded his understanding and disappeared with a crack.

'What was that all about, Harry? Why do you want to see Mundungus? He won't be able to find an elf.'

'That's not what I want him to find. Trust me; it's just a thought. Dung may be a crook, but he has his uses. Just wait and see.' He looked thoughtful for a moment. 'Is that how they are always able to answer a summons? They can track a magical signature?'

Hermione nodded. 'Yes, but we don't fully understand how it works. It seems to be something they are born with.'

'So Kreacher would have known where I went to when I left?'

She nodded.

'Why didn't he come after me?'

'Because you never summoned him. I asked him to tell me where you were but he refused; he said that you didn't want to be found.'

'He's a clever elf,' replied Harry quietly.

Hermione nodded at his words and made to reply but was interrupted by the sudden return of Kreacher who reappeared with a rather disconcerted looking Mundungus Fletcher firmly in his grasp.

'Bloody elf!' exclaimed the petty crook. 'Bloody Harry Potter; setting a bloody elf on me again,' he muttered.

'Hello, Dung,' said Harry, loudly. 'Good to see you again. Glad you could make it.'

Mundungus turned at the words. 'Oh. Harry. Good to see you too, mate.' His eyes flicked around the room as if looking for a means of escape and he shifted from side to side as he spoke. 'What can I do for you, Harry? You know me - always happy to help.'

'I'm pleased to hear it, Dung. I have a little job for you.' He noticed a guarded look suddenly spring onto Mundungus' face, but knew how to take care of that. 'Fancy earning a bit of spare cash, Dung?'

This got his interest. Suddenly, Mundungus Fletcher was at full attention, his eyes firmly fixed upon his host.

'You know me, Harry; always on the lookout for a few extra sheckles.' He paused as if considering his current predicament. 'If you don't mind me asking, Harry; how much, exactly, is "a bit of spare cash"?'

'500 galleons if you agree to help me.' He saw the eyes nearly pop out of Dung's head. 'And five times that amount if you get me what I am looking for,' he added.

It took Mundungus a few moments to recover his composure at hearing these amounts. 'Well, count me in then, Harry. What do you need?'

'I need any information you can get me on the whereabouts of the Death Eaters that escaped from Azkaban last year.'

He watched as the expression on Dung's face changed to one of horror. 'I can't do that, Harry,' he hissed. 'That's too bloody dangerous for my liking.'

'Dung, I am not asking you to capture them. I am only asking that you - discreetly - make a few enquiries. I know you, Dung; you hear everything well before the rest of us. This is how you have managed to survive for so long. You have contacts up and down the country. Someone knows where these bastards are holing up because someone must be helping them to get what they need. I just need to know if you can find out anything that can be construed as a little odd. You know the sort of thing I am talking about. You hear things Dung.'

'I've not heard anything about that. Look, Harry; I'm sorry, but I ca….'

'1000 galleons for looking, and ten grand if you find anything,' interrupted Harry.

'1000 Galleons? Just for looking? Even if I fail?' He considered this for a moment, and Harry could almost hear his mind turning. 'OK, Harry. That seems a fair offer. I'll do it.'

Harry smiled, knowing exactly what the little crook was contemplating right now.

'It is a more than fair offer, Dung, but I'm glad to know you are willing to help. Of course, I know I can trust you, can't I? You wouldn't try to con me, would you? Mundungus Fletcher wouldn't take my money and sit on his arse all week doing nothing and still try to pick up the searchers fee, would he?' Harry's voice was light as he said this but when he spoke next his voice was pure ice. 'Let's make sure we understand one another, Dung. If you try that little scam with me - if you don't give this your best shot - I'll rip your face off. You know I will find out; you're not the only card I have up my sleeve. Do we have an understanding?'

Mundungus - who had turned white at Harry's words - nodded his head as if being pulled by strings. He had a glassy look in his eye. 'S-s-sure, Harry. We have an understanding.'

'Good. One other thing; don't mention my name to anyone. Be discreet.'

'No problem, Harry. Discreet. Yeah; right. Discreet. No problem.'

'Thanks, Dung,' said Harry. 'That will be all. You can take him back to where you found him, Kreacher.'

He continued to stare at the smaller man until Mundungus and Kreacher disappeared. He turned to Hermione and was surprised at the look of astonishment on her face. 'What?' he asked, genuinely perplexed.

Hermione took a moment to reply. 'It's just that I've never seen you in your official capacity before, Harry. Usually when you see "good cop/bad cop" there are two people involved; you managed it all on your own. It's just…strange to see you at work. You handled Mundungus pretty well.'

Harry laughed. 'Dung's no problem compared to some of the people I've had to deal with. He's so crooked he could walk through a corkscrew sideways, but he's harmless. He'll do as I ask. The money is too good an offer for him.'

'Where is the money coming from?'

Harry shrugged. 'If he finds out anything that helps Draco then I suspect Narcissa will cover him in gold. If not? I'll pay him myself.' He noticed the Hermione regard him with surprise. 'I can afford it and you never know; he might turn up something about Ron. Dung knows what to do; he'll try his best, I'm sure.'

'Will you really rip his face off if he doesn't?' asked Hermione quietly.

'What do you think?'

Hermione didn't know how to answer that. A year ago she would have laughed at the absurdity of the notion, but with this Harry she wasn't entirely sure. She noticed that he was waiting for an answer. 'Well, of course not! As if!'

Harry looked at her with an amused expression on his face and Hermione had the feeling that he knew exactly what she had been thinking. She was beginning to feel distinctly uncomfortable under his scrutiny. She tried to change the subject. 'So what now?'

'Now? Now we wait. It will probably take those two a few days to find anything out. In the meantime, I have a lot to do. I need to visit Malfoy's flat this afternoon.'

'Can I come?'

Hermione noticed that he looked surprised by the question, but it had occurred to her - now she had given him what he wanted - that he might not get in touch with her again.

'Why would you want to come?' he finally asked.

'I'm curious, I guess. I have never been involved in a criminal investigation before. I find it fascinating.'

'Have you no work to do here?' he asked.

'Not until later. I have a meeting at four with my department heads, but I can re-schedule.'

'Department heads? I thought you ran this department.' He sounded confused.

Hermione sighed. 'You never did pay attention to our world, did you? When Kingsley created the DMC he merged a few existing departments together.'

'Such as?'

'Such as the Goblin Liaison Office; the Regulation of Magical Creatures - that kind of thing.'

Harry nodded his understanding. 'So you are in charge of all of that? Bloody hell, Hermione,' he said, clearly impressed. 'I had no idea you had so much responsibility. Not bad for someone that's only twenty four.'

She blushed at his complement. 'Well, seeing as how I am the boss, I can take the afternoon off. Do you want some company?' she asked carefully, trying to sound nonchalant. Please want my company. Please. I've missed you.

Harry took a long moment to answer. He thought he knew why she was doing this but if he was honest with himself, some company would be nice. He was getting just a little fed up at being so lonely all the time. 'OK; get your coat. I need to visit the Aurors later too. There is a little…inconsistency I have to check out before I see them. I'll explain on the way. Anyway, we shouldn't be gone for more than an hour. You will still be back in time for your meeting.'

Hermione tried not to look too pleased as she grabbed her coat from the hook.

***********

Half an hour later, Harry and Hermione stood outside the front door of Draco Malfoy's flat. The apartment building was extremely plush and was almost exactly the sort of building one would expect a wealthy young bachelor to dwell in. It was situated in Kensington, one of the capital's more exclusive districts and - strangely, they both thought - it was not an exclusively magical block. There were a number of Muggles who also lived in the building.

Hermione was nervous - she had never been involved in anything like this before and had crept up the stairs as quietly as she could. Harry hadn't said anything so she figured to remain on guard. She could feel the tension.

'This isn't the kind of place I thought Draco would be comfortable in,' she whispered as she cast a glance up and down the corridor. 'I didn't think he would want to live anywhere near Muggles.'

Harry looked at her oddly for a moment. 'I know what you mean,' he finally whispered back, 'but I think Draco may value social status over blood. These are not common Muggles that live here. The cheapest flat in this building costs over a million and I believe that there are a few famous people living here. And, Hermione?' he asked, his voice barely audible as he beckoned her nearer to him. He too cast furtive glances around them.

'Yes?' she asked, leaning her ear in towards his mouth, her heart beating fast.

'THERE'S NO NEED TO WHISPER!' shouted Harry, making his friend jump into the air in surprise. She stood holding her chest, breathing heavily at the sudden shock. Harry burst out laughing. 'We're allowed to be here, Hermione. There's no need for the cloak and dagger stuff.' He was laughing heartily, the tears rolling down his face. Clearly he had enjoyed having some fun at her expense.

Hermione was furious at him for a moment before she saw the humour in the absurdity of her behaviour. She put her hands on her hips.

'I'll get you for that, Harry Potter. That was a cheap trick.' She tried to sound severe, but couldn't keep up the pretence. She began to laugh.

He held up his hands. 'Sorry; I couldn't help myself. You were just so…intense.'

Hermione regarded him, pleased to see that he at least retained a sense of humour. The 'cheap trick' was something the Harry of a year ago would have done and she was suddenly glad that he had done it now. 'OK; now that you have had your fun, do you think you could open the door? Do you have the password?'

Still laughing, Harry nodded and turned to the door.

'Scorpius!'

A yellow glow could be seen on the handle and the door swung open. Hermione looked at her friend, her face a question.

'Scorpius?'

Harry laughed. 'Yeah, I know. I asked; Narcissa says that it's a name Draco's always liked for some reason.' He shrugged. 'Who knows what makes the mind of Draco Malfoy tick.'

Hermione laughed too. 'Who knows indeed?'

Harry smiled at her before turning serious for a moment. 'Now this isn't going to be too pleasant, Hermione.' He noticed the curious expression on her face. 'The flat is still a crime scene. The bloodstains will probably still be evident and I suspect that the bed will be a complete mess. Are you OK with this?'

She nodded; her face a mask of determination. 'After you, Harry. There is no way I'm staying out here.'

Harry regarded her for a moment before turning and entering the flat. Hermione followed right behind him and it was for this reason that she crashed into the back of him, bumping her head against his when he abruptly stopped.

'Ow!' she exclaimed. 'What did you stop for, Harry? What's the matter wit…'

She stopped talking in mid-sentence; stopped because she saw the same thing that Harry had seen when first entering the flat.

The room was immaculate.

There was not a speck of dust anywhere. The freshly polished metallic fixtures and fittings sparkled in the sunlight that radiated in through the window. The plush cream carpet did not have a mark on it, never mind a blood stain. Hermione watched as Harry marched across to what she presumed was the bedroom door and thrust it open. He stood in the doorway for a moment, his face like thunder.

'The bastards!' he hissed. 'It's spotless. It's like a bloody show home!'

She followed him into the room and saw exactly what he meant. The bedroom was in the same condition as the living area. Not a mark could be seen on any of the furniture and she felt positively dazzled by the whiteness of the bed sheets. The carpet did not have a single blemish or speck of dust on it - it was like new. There was absolutely no sign that Cho Chang had been brutally murdered in this very spot.

'Harry? What's going on?'

'No idea,' he replied grimly. 'This place is supposed to have been cleared of evidence and then sealed. There is no way anyone should have cleaned it up like this until the investigation was complete.' He sounded furious.

'So what does this mean?'

'It means that someone is very worried that I have been asked to look into this.' He took a deep breath, shaking his head. 'No matter; I didn't come here to check the forensics.'

'So why are we here then?'

'A couple of things that Dawlish said made me want to check the place for myself.'

'What?'

'Well, first there is the key,' he said, marching back towards the front door. Hermione followed, curious. He had already explained this to her on the way over and she wondered what he was looking for. She watched as he crouched down and began examining the lock.

'I'm no expert,' he said, 'but I don't think this particular lock was used on a regular basis. What do you think?'

Surprised at being asked, Hermione crouched down next to him. Almost immediately she became aware of his scent; of his breath on her cheek. She did her best to ignore this as she looked at the lock.

He was right. The lock was rusty and looked as stiff as a board - there was no way that Draco Malfoy used a key to gain entry - but then, did anyone use keys in their world? Most people sealed their doors with magic; after all, a simple Alohamora took care of any door locked with a key. So why was one left here? A sudden thought occurred to her.

She stood quickly and began to examine the wall next to the front door. After a few moments she found what she was looking for.

'What is it?' asked Harry, aware that his friend was on to something. He had seen this look in her eyes on countless occasions - the look that told him that Hermione Granger was on the scent.

'There was a key here, Harry. It hung here,' she added, pointing to a small pin hole in the wall. On closer examination, Harry could actually see a slightly darker outline on the wall where a key would have hung.

'Why would he have a key?' he asked.

'He probably didn't even notice it.' She saw the confused look on his face. 'My mum and dad always hung a key next to the front door. If the previous owner of this flat was a Muggle, then he might have done the same. Draco probably never paid it any attention, but whoever was in here that night must have seen it and assumed that it was needed to lock the door.'

Harry was impressed. He knew that Hermione was one of the cleverest people he had ever met, but her analysis of the scene still surprised him. 'So there was definitely someone else here, you reckon?' He already knew the answer, but wanted to hear what she thought.

'Unless Draco locked this door with a key, there was definitely someone else here,' she replied.

'Good. That's what I thought,' Harry said, satisfied.

'What else did you want to check?' she asked. He noticed him start with surprise. 'You said Dawlish mentioned a couple of things. What else?'

'I had forgotten that you don't miss much. This way,' he added with a smile, and for the first time since being reunited with him, she noticed that this smile directed at her actually had genuine warmth in it. She didn't have time to dwell on this, however, as Harry had strode quickly back into the bedroom. She followed him in and noticed him standing right by the window. He opened it and leaned out.

'Come here a minute,' he said, his voice muffled as his head hung out over the window frame.

Hermione edged her way towards him and tried to peer out, standing on her tiptoe's about three foot from the window. They were on the seventh floor.

Harry sensed her unease, suddenly remembering that she was not entirely comfortable dealing with heights. 'It's OK, Hermione; I won't let you fall.' He stretched his arm round her shoulder and took a firm grip, pulling her towards him by the very edge of the window. He struggled to appear relaxed as he fought the sense of being overwhelmed by the very essence of her. He was suddenly aware of the scent of her hair; her hands tightly clutching his chest and arm; the press of her hips against him; her breath on his neck as she clung to him and cautiously peered out of the window.

'What am I looking for?' she asked, trying to sound casual in Harry's firm grip. No one had held her like this for a long, long, time and she found herself enjoying the sensation, despite the drop below.

Harry cleared his throat, hoping she had not noticed his discomfort. 'Dawlish told me that the anonymous source had claimed to have witnessed the whole thing through the window,' he said, as casually as he could.

Hermione turned and looked at him sharply before casting her glance back out the window. Instead of merely looking straight ahead, she actually glanced around and down, carefully examining the surroundings. There were no balconies on this apartment block and - tellingly - the building opposite was side on to this one. It was a gable end that faced her, not the facade.

'Harry? We're seven stories up. Unless this source happened to be flying right outside, he couldn't have seen anything.'

'I know.'

Hermione took a moment to digest this, the implications sinking in. 'Draco has been framed, hasn't he?' she asked in a small voice. She'd had doubts from the beginning, but now she was certain.

He nodded. 'No doubt about it. I was almost sure he was innocent right away, but I wanted to be totally certain. There is absolutely no doubt that someone else is involved.'

'But who?'

'No idea.' He moved slightly and both became aware at the same time that they were clinging to each other as if for dear life. For a brief moment their eyes locked together and Hermione felt herself becoming a little lost in his gaze before Harry abruptly turned and pulled them both back into the centre of the room, away from the window. Then he let her go.

An uncomfortable silence hung in the air for a few moments and Hermione watched her friend as he looked at her with an odd expression before he turned and strode quickly out of the door.

'C'mon!' he shouted. 'We need to speak to the Aurors. And I have a key to find.'

Despite the situation, Hermione smiled. There was still hope for him yet; it was the little things that sometimes revealed a person's true character. Only Harry would have thought to move her away from the window before releasing his grip on her.

Despite everything, he was still the gentleman.