Unofficial Portkey Archive

Soul Thief by Barton Fink
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Soul Thief

Barton Fink

Assistance

Harry was a bit nervous as he approached the main office of the Aurors. He hadn't set foot inside this department since the day Ron was killed and he did not know what sort of reception he was going to receive from his former colleagues. Technically, he remained a part of this team although he had not turned up for work in nearly a year. He suspected that he would not receive a uniformly warm welcome.

Hermione seemed to sense his unease and gave his hand a soft squeeze as they approached the door. He smiled gratefully to her and then with a deep breath, he marched into the office.

He was immediately confronted by a quartet of turned heads as he entered. He noticed that three of the faces broke into smiles of greeting and was pleased to note that at least Savage, Proudfoot and Williamson seemed happy to see him. The fourth occupant, however, regarded him with a surly expression. But then - ever since their days together in training - he never had got on with Blaise Zabini.

'Harry! Good to see you mate! It's been too long,' said James Williamson as he approached, his arm extended in welcome. He was soon followed by Tom Proudfoot and Mark Savage.

Despite himself, Harry smiled in return. 'Good to see you too, James. Good to see all of you,' he replied, shaking the hand of each man in turn.

'So where the hell have you been?' asked Tom Proudfoot.

'Long story, Tom. Probably best if we leave it to some other time. Where's Dawlish?'

He noticed that his three colleagues ignored his question and that each of them was casting admiring glances at Hermione who hung back behind him. He cursed his lack of manners.

'Sorry! I should have done this first! Gents? Can I introduce my friend Hermione Granger? She runs the DMC.' He turned to Hermione. 'This is Tom, Mark and James - we worked together. Tom was my partner.'

'Pleased to meet you all,' said Hermione, smiling at Harry's belated introduction.

'Pleased to finally meet you too, Miss Granger,' replied Tom. 'Of course; we all know who you are but it is nice to finally be formally introduced - even if this idiot here took his time about it,' he added with a smile. His expression turned serious again. 'Dawlish isn't here just now; Merlin knows where he is - he went out over an hour ago. What can we do for you?'

'I was hoping to see Robards,' replied Harry. He cast a glance towards Zabini who was skulking behind his desk, a black look on his face. He lowered his voice. 'I'm looking for a bit of help too, Tom. I'm after the key that was in Malfoy's flat - it wasn't included in the stuff Dawlish brought to me. I also want a nosey at the files, if that's all right.'

Tom nodded his understanding and when he replied, he too spoke quietly. 'No problem, Harry, you are still a part of this team as far as I am concerned. Robards is in his office; just go right in. And when you are in seeing him I will escort the lovely Miss Granger to the archives,' he added with a wink. 'I'll see if I can dig out that key too - I don't know why it wasn't included in the stuff sent over.'

'Thanks, Tom. I wasn't sure if anyone would be willing to help Draco Malfoy.'

'Don't mention it, Harry. I'm doing this for you, not the Malfoy's.' He indicated with a slight nod towards Zabini. 'Watch Blaise - he's tight with Dawlish. They have partnered him with me at the moment, so the sooner you come back the better. He's an ambitious little prick and if he crawls any further up John Dawlish's arse, we are going to need a crow bar to remove him. Keep an eye on him. The rest of us will help you any way we can.'

Harry clapped him on the shoulder. 'Thanks again, Tom. I really appreciate it.' He turned to Hermione and put his mouth to her ear. 'Do you think you could do me a favour?' She nodded. 'Tom will escort you to the archives. Have a quick look over Ron's case notes. See if anything strikes you as odd. Gather anything you think relevant and we will take it with us,' he whispered. He stepped back from her and when he next spoke it was in a normal voice. 'I won't be long; I just need a quick word with Robards and then we can go.' He glanced at his watch. 'You should still make your meeting at four. And keep an eye on this one,' he added, jerking his thumb towards Tom.

'Watch it, Potter! If it wasn't for the fact you have asked me to accompany such a beautiful woman, I would hex your arse right now,' said Tom with a laugh. The Auror noticed both Hermione and Harry blush at his words and his smile broadened.

'Well Mr Proudfoot? Shall we?' asked Hermione, offering her arm and smiling. She decided that she liked this one. She turned to Harry. 'I'll see you in a bit. Don't worry; I think I'm in capable hands,' she added.

Harry smiled as he watched them go before turning and heading towards Robards' office. As he approached it, he stopped as Blaise Zabini finally decided to break his silence.

'Don't expect a fatted calf from Robards, Potter. Or from me. Some of us know what a coward you are. Running away when the going gets tough? Some Gryffindor you are,' he spat.

Harry's hands balled into fists at the words. He turned to the former Slytherin and his look was murderous. 'Anytime you want, Zabini, we can find out who the coward is.' He walked towards where Blaise was sitting and leaned down until their faces were only inches apart. 'I've dealt with a lot worse than you in my time, so if you want to back up your words with actions you'll find me ready. Just let me know when, you little prick.'

Zabini quailed under the intense gaze and nearly toppled off his chair as he leaned away from his adversary. Harry nodded, satisfied.

'That's what I though; typical Slytherin - all talk and no balls. See you around, Blaise,' he added, before turning and heading towards the office of Gawain Robards, head of the Auror Division. He took a breath to calm himself before rapping sharply on the door.

'Enter!'

Harry swung open the door and entered the plush office. He could tell that Robards was surprised to see him, but the man recovered his composure quickly and it was with a beaming smile that he stood to greet Harry with an outstretched hand.

'Harry, m'boy!' he exclaimed. 'I was wondering when you would get round to seeing us! Good to see you. Here; take a seat, take a seat,' he added as he guided Harry into a chair. Despite himself, Harry smiled. He had not had many dealings with the man but he had always been amused by the air of urgency that his boss radiated. Robards was a live wire and did everything at a hundred miles per hour.

'Thank you,' he replied.

'So what can I do for you, Harry? I presume this isn't a social visit? That you are here in relation to the Malfoy case?'

'That is correct; I have a few questions that I have to ask you.'

'Go ahead, Harry. Only too happy to help.'

'Who gave the order to clean Malfoy's flat? I was there earlier and I couldn't learn anything - it was as if it was a new home, not a crime scene.

'Ah! That would be me, Harry. I gave the order.'

'Why?'

'Because the media were sniffing around demanding access. Rita bloody Skeeter was on her high horse again and wanted a look at the scene. The Prophet has been all over this case like a rash. She wanted photographs too, would you believe? I told her to bugger off but she wouldn't take no for an answer. She's like a ghoul, that woman; she peddles in other people's misfortune. Anyway; she wouldn't let go of the idea so I ordered the flat to be cleaned in order to get rid of her. There's no story in that building now that it has been cleaned up. It worked too; she stopped annoying me after that. She did call me an interfering old fool though. In print, too.'

Harry shook his head. He's had enough run-ins with Rita to last a lifetime so had a degree of sympathy for Robards. It did not excuse his actions though.

'I understand how annoying she can be, but that was a crime scene. I wanted a look at it.'

'Relax, Harry, relax. I know you think I am a barmy old fool, but I do know a thing or two about this game. I oversaw the operation myself; every scrap of evidence was photographed and catalogued before removal. The entire flat was subjected to our most sensitive tracking charms before it was cleaned. We went through it with a fine toothcomb before removing anything and a proper chain of evidence has been established. It has been done by the book, Harry.'

Harry felt his indignation somewhat assuaged. He realised that he did not really have any grounds for complaint; if things had been done as Robards described then correct procedure had been followed. He had one other question though.

'Why are you taking such an interest in this case? You normally prefer to remain in the background. This is Dawlish's case; do you not trust him?'

'Of course I trust him; he's a fine Auror and a good man.' Robards noticed the flash of distaste on Harry's face but ignored it. 'It's just that it was suggested to me that I might take a more prominent role in affairs as this was such a high profile case.'

'Suggested by whom?'

'It's not important, Harry.'

Harry gave his boss a steely glare. 'Mr Robards,' he began, 'we seem to have reached a little misunderstanding here.'

'A misunderstanding?'

'Yes. You seem to think that you are doing me a great courtesy by seeing me today; I want to disabuse you of that notion. I am Draco Malfoy's Soul Thief and as such carry the full authority of the law and of the Minister. I will decide what is and what is not important - not you. Now I will ask you again; suggested by whom?'

Robards was taken aback by the change in tone. He was unused to being addressed in such a manner by anyone, never mind a junior Auror. He was, however, aware that he was required to co-operate with a court appointed official. He sighed.

'Harry, it was not any one individual who suggested I get involved. You know I move in influential circles; my position demands that this be the case. A number of members of the Wizengamot urged me to take a more active role.'

'Who, exactly?'

'Loads of people, Harry. Including, I might add, the Chang family and Lucius Malfoy. Also, Millicent Bagnold, Cornelius Fudge and Kingsley all advised me to keep an eye on things - that's two former and the current Minister, Harry; a lot of high level advice for a man to ignore. I believe that they wished to allay any concerns that the investigation may be mishandled - you are not the only one that wants to be certain of the facts in this case. However, I am not leading the investigation - Dawlish is still the senior officer, but he is reporting everything to me. I am merely overseeing things. Quietly.'

Harry concealed his surprise at this information. The Chang family? Lucius Malfoy? Lucius hadn't said anything about this; but then, he hadn't spoken to Harry at all since his appointment. He sighed, knowing he would need to question the elder Malfoy about this. Yet another bloody interview to conduct.

'There are just a couple of other things I would like to ask,' he said.

'Fire away, Harry.'

'There are a few inconsistencies I would like to discuss. First; none of the neighbours were interviewed. Dawlish told me that you ordered this. Why?'

Robards sighed. 'Because there are Muggles in that apartment block, that's why. No one else in that building knows that a murder has taken place; I thought it would be easier on everyone to keep things that way.'

'But someone knows,' replied Harry. 'The anonymous source claimed to have heard screams so he - or she - was probably a neighbour. Did you not think to try to find out who it was?'

'I considered it, Harry, but decided that we did not need to know. Whoever the source is does not matter; all that matters is that they were correct. I decided that the hassle of trying to find out was not worth it. You know how this works; you have concealed methods and sources in the past too. It comes with the job.'

Harry didn't like it but had to admit that Robards had a point. He had reached a dead end.

'Thank you, Mr Robards,' he finally replied. 'That is all I wanted to know.'

Robards looked relieved. 'You're welcome Harry. If you need anything else, my door is always open.' Harry stood and shook the hand of his boss before turning and leaving the office. The case, he realised, was getting more complicated with each passing hour and he knew that for Draco Malfoy, an hour was an extremely precious commodity.

I don't have enough time.

***********

Hermione was experiencing a bittersweet moment as she flicked through one of the numerous files that Tom Proudfoot had suggested she examine. On the one hand, she was quite excited to be involved in an official investigation and her mind was stimulated by the many inconsistencies in the Malfoy case. She was also delighted that Harry had trusted her enough to ask her to look into Ron's case too. On the other hand, however, she was aware that she was examining the case notes that pertained to the murder of her fiancé; a man she had loved and a man she had known since first entering the magical world. Despite this conflict of emotions, she was still devoting her full attention to the matter at hand.

Tom had led her into a large archive room and had pointed out the filing cabinet that contained what she wanted. He had then excused himself, saying that he would see if he could find the missing key to Malfoy's flat. That had been ten minutes ago and Hermione had not noticed the time pass, so engrossed was she in the documents laid out before her. She was so caught up in what she was reading that she failed to notice another person enter the room.

'And what exactly do you think you are doing here, Miss Granger? This is a classified archive; you have no business here.'

Hermione turned, startled by the voice and was confronted by the glowering face of John Dawlish. The Auror did not look at all pleased to see her.

'I..I was examining some case notes…' she began.

'Do you have any idea how much trouble you are in?' cut in Dawlish. 'It is an offence for unauthorised personnel to be in this room, never mind reading the documents. I am afraid that I must take you in for questioning.'

'Questioning?' asked Hermione, incredulity in her voice. It had not occurred to her that she was doing anything illegal.

'Yes,' replied Dawlish as he moved towards her, his wand out. 'I would suggest that you don't resist; you are in enough trouble as it is.'

Hermione was dumbstruck and made no move to resist as Dawlish grabbed her by the arm and twisted her round. 'Well, well,' he gloated, 'this is a turn up for the books. The great Hermione Granger arrested for espionage.'

'Espionage?' asked Hermione in disbelief.

'Yes. This is what happens when you involve yourself with people like Potter. You have no idea how much trouble you are in.' He sounded positively ecstatic.

'Take your fucking hands of her right now, you piece of shit.'

Hermione turned, relieved, as she heard the familiar voice. Harry.

''What's this, Potter?' asked Dawlish. 'Interfering in an official arrest? Not even you can do that.'

'I won't ask you again,' replied Harry. 'Let her go right now.' His voice was like steel.

John Dawlish thought he was on firm legal ground and as a result did not fully appreciate the danger. 'I think not, Potter,' he replied, twisting Hermione's arm further. 'I think that…'

Hermione would never find out what John Dawlish thought, for it was at that moment that Harry snapped. Moving with a speed that terrified her, he closed the distance between them and grabbed Dawlish by the collar. Lifting the Auror with ease, Harry dragged him across the room and thrust him hard into one of the filing cabinets. Dawlish fell to the ground but Harry quickly lifted him like a rag doll and pinned him against the cabinet, his forearm across the man's throat.

'If you ever touch her again I'll kill you,' hissed Harry, pressing harder against the man's throat. Hermione watched the scene in disbelief. Harry had a look of such rage about him that she was fearful of what he would do. She noticed that Dawlish was struggling to breathe, his face turning a shade of scarlet.

'Harry! Let him go, Harry! You're hurting him! He can't breathe!'

It took a few moments for her words to penetrate through to her friend but when they finally did, Harry - with some reluctance - stood back and removed his arm. Dawlish slumped to the floor, gasping for breath.

'I'll break you for that you little shit,' he finally wheezed. 'I'll break you both. She has no authority to be here.'

Hermione closed her eyes, knowing that he spoke the truth and that they were both in deep trouble.

'She has my authority, you bastard. I have appointed her as my assistant. She has the same authority as I do.'

Hermione hid her surprise at these words and watched as this startling revelation had the desired impact on Dawlish. He looked confused for a moment before the anger resurfaced. Very clever, Harry.

'That makes no difference. It may get her off the hook but you have earned yourself a trip to Azkaban, Potter. You have assaulted a superior office.'

'Assaulted?' scoffed Harry. 'All I did was rescue a senior Ministry employee from unwanted sexual advances.' These words hung in the air for a long moment. Hermione thought she was going mad.

'Sexual advances?' asked Dawlish, doubt in his voice.

'Yes. You mention this little episode to anyone and that is what we will claim. Think about it, Dawlish. It's our word against yours. The word of two of the heroes of the last war against that of a snivelling little piece of shit like you? Who do you think will be believed, John?'

Dawlish was silent for a long moment, the realisation dawning.

I suggest,' continued Harry, 'that you get your arse out of here right now before I do something really serious.'

Hermione watched as Dawlish rose unsteadily to his feet, his hand rubbing at his neck. There was a look of pure loathing on his features. 'I'll get you for this, Potter,' he hissed as he stumbled towards the door.

Hermione watched him depart and noticed that Harry regarded him dispassionately. Just as the Auror was about to go through the door he called him back.

'Dawlish?' snapped Harry. He waited until the man turned to face him. 'I meant what I said; if you ever lay a finger on her again I will kill you.'

Hermione sensed the truth in these words and noticed that John Dawlish also recognised the threat as genuine. With one last scowl, he staggered out the door. A long silence ensued.

'Harry?' she finally asked in a small voice. 'I don't know if I would have been willing to do that. I don't know if I would have been able to tell that lie, Harry.'

Surprisingly, Harry smiled. 'Of course you wouldn't have been able to tell the lie, Hermione. I know that; but that little prick doesn't. Don't worry; he won't say a word. Not now.'

She nodded, still trembling from what had occurred. She had never seen Harry in such a state. Whilst it was true she had seen him lose his temper, she had never witnessed such a rage in her friend. It was as if an animal had been unleashed. She shook the thought away.

'Harry?' she asked again. 'What you said about appointing me as your assistant?'

He grimaced. 'I hope you don't mind, but it was all I could think of. If you are my assistant then you are entitled to be here. Don't worry; you can "resign" if you want,' he added.

She shook her head. 'I don't want to.' She noticed him start in surprise. 'I'd like to help, if that's OK?'

He regarded her for some time. 'I'd like that,' he finally replied, his voice thick. They stood facing each other for what seemed like an age, both digesting what had occurred. Hermione could not recall ever feeling quite so uncomfortable in the presence of her friend. Just as she was deciding what to say next, Tom Proudfoot entered the room and earned himself - in Hermione's eyes - a metaphorical medal.

'Hermione? I've found that key,' announced the Auror in triumph as he strode in to the room holding a brass key in a plastic bag. He immediately noticed the presence of Harry and his eyes took in the flustered looks on both their faces and the misaligned filing cabinets.

'What the hell's been going on here?' he asked.

Hermione turned to Harry and the two of them shared a long look. Then, despite everything that had happened, they both burst out laughing.

***********

Draco Malfoy turned from his book at the sound of his cell door swinging open and stood to greet whoever had come to visit him. To his pleasure, he watched his mother enter his place of confinement and smile at him. He had been hoping that she would come and visit and had been disconcerted that she had not visited him more often over the past few days. But then, she has been busy trying to get me out of here, he thought to himself.

'Mother,' he said in greeting as he opened his arms and accepted her embrace. They stood holding one another for a long moment before Narcissa released her grip to stand back and examine him.

'How are you, Draco?' she asked, her concern evident.

There was no real answer to that, he knew. How does she think I am? I'm trapped in a fetid cell and in a week's time I may have to face eternal oblivion. Despite the reality of his situation, he managed a sardonic smile.

'I'm better now that you are here,' he replied. 'Do you have any news?'

'Not yet. I haven't spoken to Harry today, but I expect I will see him tonight.'

'He said he would visit me today,' replied Draco. Narcissa noticed a look of distaste flash across his features. 'Why did you employ him, mother? We have something of a history between us.'

'I employed him because there was no one else willing to take the case on. But now I am glad there was no one else. You should be grateful, Draco; I believe that if anyone can get to the bottom of this it will be Harry. He already informed me of the elf.'

'Yeah, but what good will that do? How is he going to track down an elf?' He sighed in frustration and sat down. 'I must confess that I am not entirely comfortable with having him work on my behalf.'

Narcissa took some time before replying. Before she did, she too sat down and faced her son. 'Draco, there is something you should understand about Harry.' She looked thoughtful for a moment. 'When I heard of your arrest, I approached every person that I believed to be still on good terms with our family. All expressed sympathy, but all also washed their hands of the affair. Do you know that apart from me and your father, Harry is the only person that immediately accepted your innocence? All of our so-called friends assumed your guilt but Harry Potter believed you incapable of such a deed.'

Draco looked confused. 'Why would he think that? We were enemies for long enough.'

'It is perhaps for that very reason that he knows you to be innocent. You may not like each other, but I believe you understand one another very well. Harry knows what you are capable of, Draco, and is also aware of what you would not do. You should be grateful that he is on our side. I suggest that you remember this.'

Before he could reply, his attention was once again drawn to his cell door as it was swung open and - as if on cue - Harry Potter walked into the cell. He stopped abruptly when he saw Narcissa.

'Oh, sorry,' he said. 'I didn't realise you were here, Narcissa. I'll leave until you are finished.'

Both Narcissa and Draco stood. 'There is no need, Harry. If you need to speak to Draco alone then I should be the one to leave. You are more important than I at the moment.'

Harry smiled. 'I wouldn't go that far, but if you don't mind me being here then you should stay and listen. It will save me explaining it to you later.' He turned to Draco and held up his hand. In it was a key.

'Have you ever seen this before?' he asked.

Draco took the proffered key and examined it closely. 'No,' he finally replied. Should I have?'

Harry smiled, as if pleased by the answer. He was glad that Narcissa had had the wit to say nothing; it was important that Draco's responses were unprompted.

'That's what I was hoping you would say. This is they key for the front door of your flat.'

Draco looked astonished for a second before recognition kicked in. 'So it is,' he replied. 'What are you doing with it?'

'Dawlish told me that your door had been locked the morning you were found. Locked with this,' he added. 'They found it still in the door.'

'What? But I never use a key. I have never even taken it off the hook by the door - the previous owner left it there. What the hell would I use a key for?' His confusion was obvious. Harry smiled even broader.

'Good; that's exactly the answer I was looking for. Hermione was right.'

'Hermione?' asked Narcissa. 'What does she know of this?'

'I have appointed her as my assistant and you should be glad that I have. She suggested that the key would have been left on a hook. She also believes that whoever was in your flat that night assumed you did use a key and so used it to lock you in. It's the first mistake they have made; they tried to be too clever in making it look as if only you and Cho had been in the room.'

'Granger believes I am innocent?' asked Draco.

'She does now. There is the issue with the key and there is also the fact that our "anonymous source" claimed to have seen the whole thing through your bedroom window.'

Draco considered this. 'But I am on the seventh floor! How could…' he tailed off, realisation dawning.

'Exactly. Someone else must have been in your flat that night, Draco. There is no doubt about this.' Harry was surprised at the look of relief that flashed across Draco's face. 'What is it?'

'Thank Merlin,' breathed Draco as he closed his eyes. 'Thank Merlin; I didn't do it. I didn't think that I did but I couldn't be sure.' He opened his eyes again and looked directly at his former enemy. 'Thank you, Harry,' he said quietly. 'Whatever happens, at least I know that I am innocent.'

Harry hid his surprise at being addressed by his given name. He understood Draco's reaction, knowing that he too would want to know the truth if the roles were reversed. It still wasn't enough to exonerate him though.

'So what now, Harry?' asked Narcissa. She didn't seem too bothered by the revelation, but then, she had never believed Draco to be guilty in the first place. He considered her question.

'I have put a few feelers out, but it will be a few days before I hear anything back. Tomorrow, I intend to run down the Chang angle. I need to know why she was the victim. I'll be speaking to her family and I will have to try and track down her movements that night. It's not much to go on, but it's all I have at the moment. Tonight I will probably go over the case notes in more detail. Unless there is something else you would have me do?'

'Not at all, Harry,' replied Narcissa. 'It is your case to run; do what you think is best.'

'Thank you,' replied Harry. 'In that case, I will not take up any more of your time. I will see you later, Narcissa.' He turned to Draco. 'I will probably call in on you tomorrow too, if that is acceptable.'

Both Draco and Narcissa nodded their acceptance and watched as Harry - with a final curt nod - left the cell. Once the door had been closed, Narcissa turned to her son.

'I told you that you were lucky to have him, didn't I?'

Draco didn't reply; he didn't need too. He was aware that his mother would know just how glad he was that Potter was indeed working on his behalf.

***********

'So, is there any other business?' asked Hermione as she regarded her colleagues. The other three people seated around the conference table shook their heads. 'Great!' she exclaimed. 'Good meeting; well done everyone,' she added with a smile. She stood to escort her department heads from her office and on opening the door was perplexed to notice her secretary, Claire, give her a very knowing look. She followed the subtle nudge of Claire's head and was surprised to see Harry sitting in her outer office, flipping through a magazine. He looked up and smiled.

'Well, if it isn't Harry Potter,' said Cuthbert Mockridge, former head of the Goblin Liaison office and now number two at the DMC. 'I don't think we have been formally introduced, Harry. I'm Cuthbert Mockridge and I am very pleased to meet you,' he added, offering his hand.

Harry had a guarded expression on his face as he took the proffered hand, but he kept his reply civil. 'Nice to meet you too.' He glanced at Hermione, who sensed his unease. He still wasn't comfortable around people, she realised. She tried to help him relax.

'Harry? These are my department heads. Cuthbert is putting my manners to shame here. This,' she continued, pointing to a second man, 'is Royden Poke. He works in the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures.' She watched as Harry shook hands with the man before continuing. 'And I am sure you know who this is,' she finished.

'Harry,' said Amos Diggory curtly.

'Mr Diggory,' replied Harry, surprised. Then he remembered; Amos once worked in the same department as Royden Poke. He noticed that the man regarded him coolly but in all truth he could not blame him. Amos Diggory probably still wondered why Cedric had died that fateful night and not Harry. It was not a comfortable moment meeting this man again.

Hermione seemed to sense the awkwardness for she spoke again in a voice that was too affected for the situation. 'Well, thanks again, gentlemen. I will have the minutes forwarded to you as soon as they are complete.'

Harry watched as the three men exited the room, both Mockridge and Poke giving him a beaming smile as they did so. Once they were out, Hermione closed the door quietly behind them and leaned her head against it.

'What's wrong?' asked Harry.

'Oh, nothing really,' she replied, heading back to the inner office. Harry followed. 'It's just that those three can make life difficult for me sometimes.'

'In what way? You are the boss, after all.'

'That's why they make life difficult. 'I'm only twenty four, Harry; and I'm a woman. Sometimes I think they have problems accepting my authority.'

Harry smiled. 'I don't know why. Just threaten them like you did me and you will be fine.'

She smiled in return at his jest. 'It's not that simple, Harry. Sometimes I think I have to be twice as good as them just to be taken seriously.'

'Then there is no problem, is there?' He noticed her look of confusion. 'You are twice as good as them, Hermione. At least twice as good.'

She blushed at his complement and decided to change the subject. 'So what brings you here? I was just about to leave for the night,' she said as she fetched her coat from the peg. She grabbed her bag and headed out of the door, Harry following in her wake.

'Me too. I was just heading off for the night - I have just been down to see Draco. I thought I would pop in to say goodnight before I left. That's not a problem, is it?' he asked as they reached the corridor.

'Of course it's not a problem, you idiot.' A sudden thought occurred to her. 'Where are you staying tonight?'

'Malfoy Manor. Why?'

'It's just that I was going to head over to the Burrow for tea. Do you want to come?' she asked carefully.

Harry was taken aback by the question; he still did not feel up to seeing the Weasleys, especially Ginny. 'I don't think so,' he finally replied.

'I think they would be really happy to see you, Harry. I think you should go.'

Harry temporised. 'Not tonight,' he finally managed. 'I'm tired - it's been a long day.' He noticed a very sceptical look on her face and desperately thought of something else to say. 'Maybe tomorrow?' he suggested and inwardly cursed his stupidity. He knew as soon as he had said it that he had given her an opening.

'Tomorrow? Great, Harry. I'll tell Molly you will be coming for lunch. She'll be delighted! See you tomorrow morning,' she added airily before abruptly turning on her heels and striding away to prevent him from replying. Harry could not see the grin that split her face. Gotcha, Potter!

Harry watched her go, aware of the futility of calling after her. She could have very selective hearing when it suited her, he knew. Damn her! She knows exactly how to play me.

Then, despite himself, he smiled.