Unofficial Portkey Archive

Magique by the_real_mrs_potter
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Magique

the_real_mrs_potter

A/N: Hello all! Wow, it's been a long break but I hope the wait will be well worth it for this story - key word: hope. I've been super busy and won't bore you with details but if you have an irrepressible need to know what I've been doing these past few months, you can always hit me up on my Formspring and Tumblr accounts, which are both linked on my author's page. Now, onto the story! It's a bit different from what I've done before but I really wanted to challenge myself. This here is more of an introduction than a chapter but it is definitely needed for this story. So I'm sorry if you don't like it but it does set up the story in a very good way that will save me from answering a bunch of questions. The only thing I am going to dispute right now is that in this story the Potter's are decedents of Godric Gryffindor. It is necessary. End of story. Also, the plotline is going to be loosely (and I mean very loosely) based on some of my favorite TV shows and movies that center around this era. So, without further ado, here it is! Welcome to Magique!

A big shout out to my always amazing beta, Vincent! You rock my world.

Disclaimer: Harry Potter and all of his amazingness only belong to me in my dreams.

Enjoy!

-

Magique
Chapter One: Intro

There once was a land hidden from normal Muggle sight by the magic of which it was built. It was a place of excitement and wonder - one with dragons flying through the sky like blue jays, children laughing as they rode their first broomsticks, and gossiping witches giggling over the latest trends in dress robes. This was the land of Hogwarts, split into four kingdoms: Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. Each was ruled by a royal family descending from the original mighty founders. But with their ancestor's history came a long line of feuds that still spill into the kingdom today.

When Hogwarts was first built, the four founders were the closest of friends. Godric Gryffindor, the brave and loyal hero. Helga Hufflepuff, the kind, hard-working lady. Rowena Ravenclaw, the witty and knowledgeable heroine. Salazar Slytherin the cunning and sly snake. Together they created kingdoms where magical folk could live in peace without being prosecuted by Muggles and the terrors they used to hunt them in a time of ignorance and hatred. Their friendship created a safe haven, and soon after, a way of living for those of magical descent and their families. But all of this was in vain when Slytherin stopped allowing Muggleborn wizards and their families into his kingdom, claiming they would turn against them and begin a war upon their safe ground.

At first, Slytherin's method remained hidden from his fellow founders. But soon word began to spread and the remaining three staged an intervention, threatening that if he did not stop his prejudice he would be exiled from Hogwarts for the remainder of his life. Slytherin chose to leave, accusing the three of Muggle-sympathy and unjust views. He tried to take his young wife and son to accompany him but they refused, agreeing with his now sworn enemies. He placed a curse upon their castle, claiming that the dungeons would consume them all along with the tainted blood residing in the kingdoms. His words remained fallacious but after his exile, a rebellion sparked in his kingdom that agreed with his views. They made it their goal to avenge his leaving by purging the kingdoms of Muggleborns and their families.

Innocent blood, both magic and not, was shed for years before Slytherin's followers were wiped out or forced into hiding. For nearly a century the kingdoms remained in peace until rumors began circulating of mysterious murders in Slytherin. Investigations proved that the victims were all Muggleborn. Manners to stop these slaughters were all tried but none could catch the illusive murderer. Soon all that anyone could do was put up wards and pray. The royal families all went into hiding, their location only known by a designated secret keeper. Unfortunately for the Gryffindor royals, their safe hideaway was compromised. On Halloween night, the killer now known as Lord Voldemort snuck into the small town of Godric's Hollow just outside of Gryffindor and murdered the king and queen. Both were known members of the resistance identified by common folk as the Order of the Phoenix, making them and their infant son a prime target for the Dark Lord and his followers. Unbeknownst to Lord Voldemort, his plans to eliminate the one organization bent on his demise would be cut short.

After murdering his parents, the only heir to the throne, Harry, was next to be eliminated. As the Dark Lord raised his wand and shouted the curse meant to end the boy's life, something extraordinary happened. The spell rebounded and destroyed the caster instead, leaving a frightened, scarred prince alone in his crib. He was rescued only minutes later by the all-knowing court consultant, Albus Dumbledore, and the groundskeeper of Gryffindor castle, Rubeus Hagrid. Since Harry was only a year old and the king and queen had no other living relatives, Gryffindor was short a ruler. After days of court deliberation, the king's right hand man, Sirius Black, was named as acting king of Gryffindor until Harry came of age.

Throughout these events, the king of Slytherin, King Thomas Riddle II, was reported missing. Countless search parties were sent to find him in all four kingdoms and outlining villages. After a year of no results, the king was declared dead and the acting king, Lucius Malfoy, was crowned. Gryffindor and Slytherin had rulers once more, though it did not stop the hate crimes still plaguing the lower towns of the kingdoms where the Muggleborns and their families lived.

Muggleborn witches and wizards are found by magical detections when they are toddlers and show their first signs of magic. Their parents are then given a letter, inviting them to stay in Hogwarts for their protection. If the family chooses to move to Hogwarts, they are given a home in one of the lower towns of a kingdom of which they can reside. If not, they have the choice of sending their child to Hogwarts when they turn eleven so the witch or wizard has a choice in the development of their powers. The child will then stay in a "Common Room" where they are given a bed to sleep in, food, and a free magical education. Because the lower towns were composed of Muggleborns and their families, the wards and protective charms were considerably weaker than those of the upper towns where half- and pure blood families resided, making them easy targets for the remaining followers of the former Dark Lord, or Death Eaters as they were named.

In a land of myth and a time of magic, the destiny of these great kingdoms rested in the hands of a young prince, his most trusted knight, and the woman who captured his heart. Together they lifted the darkness that loomed over Hogwarts and solved the mystery that was hidden in Slytherin's walls, finding not only themselves along the way, but a new hope that united the four kingdoms once more.

This is where our story begins.

-->