Unofficial Portkey Archive

Magique by the_real_mrs_potter
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Magique

the_real_mrs_potter

A/N: Looks like month-long updates are becoming my new forte. But hey, at least I'm updating! I'm thinking only about 4 or less chapters to go before the end of this story. Don't worry, though. At the rate I'm going, it'll go by real slow ;) Thank you all so much for sticking by this story. It means so much to me!

Disclaimer: HP = JKR

Enjoy!

-

Magique
Chapter 17: Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again

"Are you absolutely sure you don't want to come along?"

"No," she answered honestly. "But I know I shouldn't. Not unless it's absolutely necessary."

He saw the shine of sadness begin to fill her eyes and did his best to give her a reassuring smile. He placed a hand on her shoulder for good measure as he spoke in a gentler tone. "It'll be all right, you hear me? This whole thing will be over before you know it."

"How can you be so sure?"

"Because I have faith." He answered. "And you did too until this morning. Nothing has changed, Hermione. The plan is still the same and the outcome has the same high chance of working out."

"I know, I know, it's just…" She trailed off. "I can't help but feel that I should be going with you, though I know it's a terrible idea that would risk everything."

"It's not a terrible idea." He said encouragingly. "It's just not a logical one."

Hermione let out a short laugh. "Yes, I suppose you're right."

He looked at her for a long moment before pulling her into a tight embrace. "Everything will be fine. I promise."

She nodded against his chest as they pulled apart. "Be safe."

He smiled softly at her. "You know I will. I'll be back within four days with word from Harry."

At the sound of his name, her stomach tightened. Cedric must have noticed because he bent down to give her one last kiss on the forehead before turning around and getting inside the carriage that would take him to Slytherin.

He turned around in his seat just in time to see her waving at him through the window. He managed a quick wave back before the horses began to pull him down the pavement. Hermione continued to wave until the carriage disappeared around a corner, its black and yellow banners blowing in the wind.

As she put down her hand to rest at her side, she let out a long breath. All their planning and carefully constructed encoding was finally being put into action and the thought made her both excited and terrified. How she wished that she could be the one to tell Harry she was alright - to see his face when he realized it was her and she was alive and safe. But no, she couldn't. It was too big of a risk for such a small task. She knew that if it came to it, she may have to return to Gryffindor in disguise, but now was not that time. Instead, she stayed behind, waiting for her dwindling hope to be returned to her.

"It's no use just standing around all day, dearie." The kind voice of Celine spoke from behind her.

Hermione turned around to see the matron smiling softly at her. "Just lost in my thoughts is all."

Celine nodded. "Perfectly understandable."

"I should probably get back to work." Hermione mused. "I've already taken too many afternoons off because of my morning sickness."

"Have you told Tom about-?"

"Yes, he knows." She interrupted. "But I also told him it was on a need-to-know basis. He's been kind enough to indulge my needs thus far and I don't want to wear out that luxury."

"I don't see the need for you to be working there anyhow." Celine said, crinkling her nose. "You already have a room in the manor to use at your will."

"I know." Hermione said. "And it's a very kind of Cedric to provide me with such accommodations. But I still need to save money."

"For what, dearie?"

"I don't know exactly." Hermione said, her brow furrowing. "I've always been like that - saving up money so I have it at my disposal if something comes up."

"Thinking ahead is a good trait to have." Celine said approvingly.

Hermione smiled and the two women shared looks of understanding. Though Hermione wanted nothing more than to stay with Celine and chat, she knew that she had a responsibility she had to attend to. "Well, I must be off. I'll see you around midnight."

"I'll have a hot cup of soup ready for you when you get back."

"You're an angel, Celine. Truly."

"Oh pish posh. Just go on and earn a few sickles for your pocket."

Hermione nodded and began to walk the opposite way from where Cedric's carriage had departed, waving at Celine in her wake. The matron returned the gesture and turned around to reenter the manor, intent on reading a good novel until the time came to fix her new favorite patient a bowl of her famous medicinal soup.

As Hermione walked down the cobblestone street, she saw the normal hustle and bustle pass her by. The sun was shining, the birds were singing - there was really no reason for her to be worrying. She had four days to relax before the real mission began. If she was correct (which she was fairly sure she was), then Harry would not only give her a personal message in return, but also update her on the progress he had made in trying to crack the Court's system. She hoped he had made more progress than she. He had the abundant recourses she lacked as well as the Order to help him. Hopefully it would be enough for at least a slight push in the right direction. That's all they needed, a push to start the fight to bring her back home.

She reached The Leaky Cauldron just as the lunch rush was beginning to pour in. Tom was behind the bar, fixing a pint for one of the tables. He saw her enter and called "Mia! Thank Merlin, I thought you wouldn't make it in time."

Mia was her codename. Hermione wasn't exactly a common name and since she had already changed her hair and eye color, she figured she may as well do the same with her name. She chose Mia simply because it was what her mother used to call her when she was younger. She had also chosen a fake last name to use just in case the situation called for it. Another tribute to her lost family - Morgan for her grandmother on her father's side.

"Sorry." She hurriedly apologized. "Had to see Cedric off."

Tom nodded. "Well Bernn needs help in the kitchen. Chopping vegetables or something."

"I'll get right on it." Hermione said before making a beeline for the door that led into the kitchens.

~*~

It was a day's ride to Slytherin by carriage. Since he had taken extra time to make sure Hermione was okay, he had lost a few hours off his earlier-planned journey. But Cedric remained adamant that they would not stop until they were within the kingdom's walls. He knew he was pushing it with his driver and the horses but the task at hand was too important to lose any amount of time over. The meeting was just after lunch the following day after his departure and he wanted to take every opportunity to get Harry by himself to relay Hermione's message. At the rate they were going they would get there with an hour or so to spare.

When Cedric was waking up from one of his many dozes throughout the journey, his eyes ventured out the window where he saw the approaching colors of green and silver. They had arrived. He straightened his composure as the carriage passed through the gates and into the lively city.

They came to a halt in front of a well-known inn located in the upper town called Persephone's Pearls. Cedric thanked the driver and gave him a few galleons to find a suitable stable for the horses and buy a suite at the inn. As the driver took his leave, Cedric headed into the building and purchased a room for himself. He knew very well that he could have a room in the castle for a night or two but it was risky with all the materials that he had brought and the snoopy staff.

One of the employee's, a busty blonde by the name of Meg, led him up to his suite. He gave her a winning smile and tipped her handsomely, making a mental note to stay at this inn more often. After she left, Cedric emptied the contents of his bag onto the bed and separated what he needed for the meeting and what he could leave behind. When he was finished, he set to going over the message once more, Hermione's letter clutched in his hand. He stayed like that - pacing the room until the clock struck noon. Sighing, he pocketed the letter and grabbed his other supplies.

Showtime.

He walked the short distance to the castle and made his way up through the entrance. Showing the guards his credentials, he entered the castle with ease. He couldn't see Harry anywhere in the entrance hall and deduced that he must already be in the grand ballroom where the meeting was to take place.

Cedric hurried down the hall and into the grand ballroom where he saw most of the Court was already present. No one had taken their seats yet but he knew that in a few minutes that would not be the case. He wouldn't have enough time to speak with Harry before the meeting; he was cutting it too close.

Just as that thought passed through his mind, he saw Harry enter the hall with Sirius by his side. He caught his eye and a sour look passed over his features for a moment before he smiled politely. Cedric inwardly chuckled. He still hadn't forgotten the ball and how close he and Hermione seemed at the time. It was quite amusing to think about now, after things had changed so drastically.

"If everyone would please take their seats, we are ready to begin." Kingsley said.

The members of royalty and their respective representatives took their seats as the meeting began. "The first order of business is an announcement that I have been wanting to make for quite some time. I will be leaving office within the year for reasons that shall remain unspoken and the time has come for a predecessor to be chosen."

A slight buzz began in the room. Even Cedric's interests were pegged. Kingsley had only been in office for just under five years - a fairly short reign for any head of the Council. Every mind in the room was putting together theories on why he had chosen now to resign. Family issues? Poor health? A bribe? It was the subject for a week's worth of gossip.

Kingsley continued to speak over the hum of voices "Nominations will take place at the next meeting so as to give every potential candidate time to make their final decision."

The subject was then changed and the Court's attention shifted to other matters. Compared to the first announcement, they were all rather bland. Combined with Cedric's growing impatience to speak with Harry, he had to fight with himself to pay attention. He wasn't going to do his kingdom any good if he remained unfocused.

Before he knew it, the meeting was over and he was gathering his stuff in a flurry. He kept one eye fixed on Harry as he did so, not wanting to lose sight of him. He got caught in a hushed conversation with Sirius just as Cedric began to walk over towards him. Taking a deep breath, he pushed forward until he was a few feet away from the pair. Clearing his throat, he gained the attentions of both gentleman and spoke quickly before Harry's gaze burnt him into a crisp.

"Excuse me gentleman, I don't mean to interrupt."

"No harm done." Sirius said with a small smile. "What can we help you with, Mr. Diggory?"

"Well, I was hoping to speak with Prince Harry for a moment." Cedric said.

Harry's brow furrowed. "What business do you have with me, Diggory?"

Cedric nearly flinched at the harsh tone but chose to ignore it. "I'm afraid it's urgent."

"And what is it regarding?"

"The state of Hufflepuff."

"What does that have to do with me?"

Cedric pursed his lips, biting back his urge to groan in frustration. Harry was proving to be more difficult than he originally thought. Wanting to skip the frivolities, he switched to his second offensive.

"Please, it's best if we carry this conversation elsewhere." He reached into his inner coat pocket and pulled out Hermione's letter, angling it so Harry could see Hermione's seal.

That certainly caused him to shut up. Harry's eyes widened and he began to nod furiously. Cedric smirked.

"Excuse us, Sirius." He said in a rush.

Sirius nodded and Cedric led the two of them out of the hall and into the empty entrance hall. Knowing it wouldn't be vacant for long, Cedric searched for an empty room through one of the side hallways. Finding one, he pushed open the door and motioned Harry inside. He closed the door behind them and lit the room, making sure to cast a few silencing charms as well. You could never be too safe in a situation like this.

He turned and faced Harry, whose face had softened drastically since he last checked. In fact, he looked rather vulnerable. His observation was aided as Harry spoke up in a soft voice.

"Is… is that really what I think it is?"

Cedric took the letter out of his pocket fully and handed it to the young prince. He took it gingerly in his hand and Cedric saw his face visibly brighten. His face snapped up to meet Cedric's gaze

"How did you get this?"

Cedric smirked. "If I told you that, Hermione might kill me."

Harry snorted and opened the letter. Written in Hermione's neat hand was a single paragraph:

Harry,
There is not much I can write to you without taking a large risk
, which I'm sure you understand. Just know that I am safe and well taken care of. Please inform Cedric of any and all information you have regarding the Court's verdict. He is a valuable asset and we would do well to have a liaison of his stature working with us. I am eagerly waiting for the day where I can set foot in Gryffindor again and see you. Give Sirius and Ron my love and express my gratitude to the Order for being so helpful these past few weeks.

All my love,
Hermione

"She's alright." Harry breathed, more to himself. But Cedric heard him all too well and he smiled. After a moment Harry lifted his head and met Cedric's eyes once more. "She's not just being modest, is she? She's really alright?"

Cedric nodded. "As fit as a fiddle."

Harry grinned and tried his best to contain himself. "I take it you've been helping her with research?"

"Yes." Cedric answered, fishing in his coat pocket for the second parchment he had tucked inside. He handed it to Harry who took it with a raised eyebrow. Cedric explained in a straight tone. "Hermione encoded our findings in runes. She said it would be safer that way. Unfortunately, we don't have much to go on."

"Nor on this end, I'm afraid." Harry said with a frown. "Finding a crack in the Court's system is as easy as finding a needle in a haystack. There are so many laws and bylaws that it's nearly impossible to find any information worthwhile."

"I agree. Even with my family's extensive library I couldn't find anything that could help us." Cedric said in disdain. "Hermione is nearly at her wit's end in frustration. The only hope she has remaining is fed with the hopeful results of your research."

"Which are next to nothing." Harry said scathingly, beginning to pace. "I've spent every night reading and cross-referencing…"

"You have?"

Harry stopped in his tracks and looked at the Hufflepuff. "Of course I have."

Cedric brow furrowed. "Is that entirely healthy?"

"It doesn't matter." Harry said firmly. "It's my fault she's gone and I need to bring her back."

"How is it your fault?" Cedric asked. "The accusations made against her were false on all accounts. You did nothing wrong."

"It's always my fault." Harry said morosely. "Every bad thing that's happened to her - every scar, every death, every nightmare - it's all been because of me. And now she's been sent away because she's a threat to the wellbeing of the kingdom. If it wasn't for me she would still be here."

"Don't say that." Cedric said. "If Hermione heard you she would slap you hard across the face for even thinking that." Harry remained silent and averted his eyes. "Harry, that woman loves you with all of her heart. Don't you think she knew the risks that came with being in your life? And even if she didn't, why would she still be fighting to be with you? You two share something powerful - something that brings you back together in times of darkness. You'd be a fool to set the blame on yourself for a moment before thinking otherwise."

Harry pressed his lips together before speaking. "Did Hermione tell you to say that as well?"

"No." Cedric said. "That was from an outsider's perspective."

"An outsider that's also a liaison?" Harry asked with an upturned eyebrow.

Cedric smiled dutifully.

They were prevented from carrying on the conversation by a knock at the door. Confused as to who it would be, Cedric simply called out a "Come in." to be courteous.

The door opened to reveal Sirius, looking every bit as confused as they were. "What are you doing in here? You've been gone for ten minutes. I was starting to get worried that you might have killed each other."

"What? Why would we do that?" Cedric asked, playing the innocent role.

Harry shifted from one foot to the other and changed the topic before things got awkward. "Cedric brought word from Hermione."

"Did he?" Sirius asked, his eyes going wide with surprise. "What news?"

"She's okay!" Harry said, a wide grin on his face.

"That's fantastic!" Sirius said, stepping into the room and closing the door behind him. "Where is she?"

"Safe." Cedric answered. Though he knew the answer to be fairly obvious since it was he who delivered the message, he wanted to say honestly, if things went wrong, that he never told Harry where Hermione was staying.

Sirius nodded in understanding. "And does she bring any news?"

"Only this paper, encoded by runes." Harry said, holding out the parchment.

Sirius took it and scanned it over. "Should be easy enough to decode. Is there any worthwhile information in there?"

"Only a few laws that have relation to the Court and its verdicts. Nothing you haven't read before, I'm afraid." Cedric informed the king.

"Ah." Sirius said, disappointment etched into his tone. "Well let's hope that our research proves to be fruitful once combined."

"But what if it isn't?" Harry asked. "What if it's the same results we've gathered?"

"Then we'll be twice as reassured that we found the right laws to look into." Sirius said.

"What if they tell us nothing?"

"Harry." Sirius said firmly. "Now is not the time to be in doubt. You've just received word from Hermione. Shouldn't you be more motivated to get her back?"

"Of course I am." Harry said. "I just can't help but feel that all of this combined research is going to turn out with nothing. I don't want to waste anyone's time if there's not going to be any results. Right now I think we stand a better chance of infiltrating the Court and working our way out of this through the inside."

"We've already ruled that one out, Harry." Sirius said. "You would be putting the entire kingdom on the line."

"You think I don't know that?" Harry said, his tone becoming more agitated.

"Hang on." Cedric interrupted. "I think Harry might be onto something."

Sirius turned to him. "Like I said, Cedric. We've already ruled out that option. It would be too risky and may cause the downfall of the Gryffindor monarchy."

"Normally, yes." Cedric said, the wheels in his brain turning. "But didn't you hear Kingsley's announcement today? He's stepping down from office…"

"Giving us an opportunity to influence the court from the highest position." Sirius said, finishing his thought. He looked at the young noble with an astounded expression. "I think you may be onto something, Cedric."

"But Kingsley wasn't present at the hearing." Harry said. "I remember. He had to take a day of leave for business out of the Kingdom."

"A ploy, I bet." Sirius said. "Kingsley would never abandon a hearing on such short of notice. My theory was that he had been Imperioused to stay away from Gryffindor - even forgetting about the hearing entirely. I could never prove this, mind you. No territory would have the guts to pull such a move. Not even Slytherin."

"They seemed pretty happy about Hermione leaving." Harry said sourly.

"Of course they would, they hate everything having to do with our Kingdom." Sirius said in a blasé tone. "It doesn't mean they would have the power to do anything about it. Since the war they've been low on the influence and income levels."

"Its common knowledge by now that Hermione was set up for that trial." Cedric said. "Perhaps if we could infiltrate the Court, we could get the knowledge to find whoever did it and revoke the banishment."

"Spoken like a true diplomat." Sirius complimented.

Cedric bowed his head in thanks.

"Now since Harry's coronation is only a few short weeks away, it would be best if we nominated him for the position." Sirius said. "Any objections, Harry?"

"No." Harry said firmly.

"Fantastic. Let's get to work." Sirius said, motioning the two to sit down on one of the spare tables in the room.

And so they began to plan, all the while Harry never being able to keep a smile off of his face. The thought of holding Hermione in his arms once again filled him with a joy that he hadn't felt in nearly a month.

-->