Unofficial Portkey Archive

Magique by the_real_mrs_potter
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Magique

the_real_mrs_potter

A/N: Hey look! It didn't take me a month to update this time! YAY! Unfortunately, this chapter isn't as long as the last one but I'm sure you'll still like it. Well, I hope you will. I think the ball will be within the next two chapters and that is where the story is going to get really interesting. So please, keep on reading and don't give up on the story just yet! Thank you all for sticking with me thus far! I hope to get back on track soon :)

Disclaimer: Harry Potter isn't mine. JKR owns everything.

Enjoy!

-

Magique
Chapter 7: Dear Old Friend

Only three days remained before the ball and the activity in the grand ballroom was in full swing. The beginnings of the decorations were starting to adorn the walls - gold and crème, just like Clara wanted. Hermione observed the scene with a stony expression. She knew that coming down here would only put her in a sour mood but she had to get out of the confines of her chambers. The past few nights had been filled with dreams of her past that she wished would leave her be. She had thought after so many years of avoiding them they would disappear entirely. But apparently the Fowl's arrival elicited more than femininity within the castle.

"Hermione." The overly-sweet soprano of Hermione's least favorite castle inhabitant sounded from her right.

She turned and put on a fake smile. "Clara."

"I apologize for the mess." Clara said, motioning to the random bits of fabric and other various garments strewed across the floor.

Hermione waved a nonchalant hand. "You're in the beginning stages of décor. I don't expect a portrait of excellence."

"Good, good." She said in relief. "It's just… gods, I've been so stressed this week."

"I can only imagine." Hermione said, stopping herself before her tone turned sarcastic.

"I swear I wouldn't have gotten through this week without - oh, speak of the devil." She waved to someone behind Hermione's shoulder. "Harry! Harry! Over here, darling."

Oh good lord, Hermione thought to herself. Just what I need.

She had been skillfully avoiding Harry for days now and, of course, as soon as she runs into Clara, he's there. She should have known. She had heard that they had been attached at the hip. Of course, she had refused to believe it. But now that she saw him walking over to Clara's side, she knew that denial was no place for her mind.

"Hermione." Harry said politely. "You've been invisible these past few days. Where have you been hiding?"

"Oh, I've been around." Hermione answered.

Harry looked as though he was about to respond but then stopped himself. He narrowed his eyes and stepped forward. Hermione felt her stomach tighten as he put a hand on her chin, tilting her face at an angle. Suddenly, she knew what he was doing and maneuvered out of his grip. He remained close to her and spoke in a low, concerned voice.

"Hermione are you alright?"

"I'm fine."

"What is it?" Clara asked from behind Harry.

He ignored her inquiry as he questioned Hermione further. "Have you been having nightmares again?"

"No." She said truthfully. "Just a few restless dreams is all. Nothing to worry about."

"Hermione, the circles under your eyes look like bruises." He said hardly. "What's going on?"

"Nothing to concern yourself about," She said icily. "Go on back to your party plans."

"Hermione-"

"Just leave it, Harry." Hermione said just before she spun on her heel and left the room, head held high.

He watched her leave with a heavy heart. Something was on her mind, he knew it - something that was haunting her even in the sanctity of her dreams. He wished that he had caught it sooner but he had been so busy assisting Clara with the ball that he hadn't had a spare moment to make any attempt. Not to mention Remus had been constantly breathing down his neck about his reputation.

"Will she be okay?" Clara asked.

"I don't know." He answered honestly. "She's strong but not invincible."

"One can only run from their demons for so long." Clara said wistfully.

Harry turned to look at her with a raised eyebrow. "I think that's the deepest thing I've heard you say."

She smirked. "I can be deep."

"Mm." Harry murmured noncommittally.

She playfully shoved him and he laughed.

"Come on." She said. "You can help hang the kingdom banner."

She turned and began to lead him toward the far side of the room.

"Oh joy." He mumbled to himself. The last thing he wanted to do right now was to hang a banner. There were more important things at hand, like Hermione's wellness. But he still had a duty so, with a heavy sigh, he followed. He would find Hermione later and fix whatever was bothering her before she became to broken to repair.

~*~

She was cooped up in the library, her one escape since before she could remember. Sleep tugged at her eyelids but she fought it off. The last thing she needed was to fall asleep. She would only wake up a few minutes later, sweating or screaming.

Each night she was delving deeper and deeper into the past, revealing feelings she forgot that she had. The dreams became more like nightmares every time she closed her eyes but thankfully they still hadn't quite gotten to that point. She was dangerously close to passing the point of no return, where the nightmares would slowly begin and then mold into full blown night terrors, something she hadn't experienced since the war.

During the war she rarely got a night of sleep. The castle was constantly under attack and she, Harry, and Ron were forced into hiding. During the nights they were on the run she was haunted by night terrors that caused her to erupt into a screaming fit. They consisted of her parent's murder, Harry being tortured at the wand of his foe, and the Weasley family being at the mercy of a raid of Death Eaters. Harry theorized that the high stress made her mind weak and easy picking for Voldemort and his most skilled Legilimens. While they never found out if that was true or not, the night terrors had continued through the war and the weeks following. The only refuge she found was when Harry held her in his arms as she slept. She didn't know why this helped, whether it was his Occlumency or mere presence, but it did. And since he was well out of her reach, it was out of the question to ask him for help. No matter how much she wanted to.

Now that Harry had noticed that she was lacking sleep, she had to come up with a way to quickly rid herself of the restless nights before he tried to help. The last thing she needed was him worrying over her. With a quick trip to the library, she was soon reading about powerful sleeping droughts, the kind they never covered in Remus's curriculum. No, she was looking in the more commercial and common used potions rather than deathly ailments and life-saving brews. After hours of searching she had it narrowed down to two: "Susan's Supple Sleep Supplement" and "Edna's Easy Dream Elixir." Both had similar ingredients but covered different areas of her problem. She concluded to try both and decide which helped more after she felt their effects.

Packing up her things, she ventured down to the dungeons, where all of the potion-making ingredients and supplies were held. Usually the court physician oversaw the potions but today was her day off and since Hermione was a permanent, trusted resident of the castle, she had a key to the sealed room. As she made her way down the narrow hallway towards the door she shivered at the significant drop in temperature.

When she entered the room, she walked over to the shelves to gather ingredients for both potions and quickly, albeit carefully, began to brew them. The more time she wasted, the more tired she would become. There are few things more dangerous than trying to make a potion while fending off slumber.

Thirty minutes and a few slight knife cuts to her fingers later she had both potions in separate vials ready to use. She smiled to herself and hurried to her chambers, eager to try out her concoctions. On the way up she thanked Merlin she didn't pass anyone. They were all busy preparing for the ball. For once, she was thankful for Clara and Elizabeth's influence about the castle.

When she reached her room, she closed the door behind her and walked over to her bed. Removing her shoes and corset, she readied herself for sleep, praying that at least one of the potions would work. She uncapped the first vile of "Susan's Supple Sleep Supplement" and pressed it to her lips, letting the cool liquid wash through her mouth. It tasted like mint. She let her shoulders relax as she finished the bottle and laid down on the bed. As soon as her head hit the soft pillow, she felt sleep wrap around her senses and greeted it like a dear old friend.

"Let her go!"

"Harry! Harry no!" She struggled against her magical binding. "It's a trap!"

"Harry Potter." The cold voice of Lord Voldemort spoke. He lifted the cloaking charm he had placed on himself and stood between them so that his back was facing Hermione. "Come to save your precious Mudblood?"

"Harry please!" She pleaded.

"Let her go, Riddle." Harry said menacingly.

"Of course." Voldemort said, inclining his head to the side. "But first, you must give yourself to my bidding. Let the world live without its hero."

Harry stood still.

Voldemort clicked his tongue and turned to Hermione. He raised his wand and shouted "Crucio!"

The curse hit her square in the stomach and she screamed. The pain was excruciating, seeping into her veins and making her blood boil to agonizing temperatures. She thrashed against the bonding and tried desperately to shake the throbbing stings of the torture curse.

"STOP!" Harry's voice boomed, filled with desperation and fear.

Suddenly, the pain stopped and she caught her breath. Sweat was sticking to her forehead and her heart was heavy in her chest.

"That-a-boy, Harry." Voldemort said, a sickening grin on his snake-like face. He took a step forward.

"No…" Hermione said weakly.

"Come closer." Voldemort said, beckoning him with his finger.

"Let her go first."

"Certainly." He said.

He waved his hand and Hermione felt the bonds disappear. In the aftereffects of the Cruciatus curse, the bonds were the only things keeping her upright on her weak legs. As soon as they vanished, she collapsed onto the grass in a heap.

"Hermione!" Harry screamed, rushing to be at her side.

"Not so fast, Potter." Voldemort sneered, holding out an arm. "Crucio!"

The spell hit him and he tumbled to the ground, writing in pain.

"NO!"

"Hermione."

"No, stop it! Please, let him go!"

"Hermione!"

"HARRY!"

"Hermione!"

Her eyes shot open. Harry was hovering over her, his hands on her shoulders, shaking her awake. He stopped as soon as their eyes met.

"Harry?"

He breathed a sigh of relief and nodded. But his face soon turned stony. "You said you weren't having nightmares."

"I wasn't." She said, sitting up.

Harry took a seat by her knees. "Then what was that?"

Hermione bit her lip. "A lucky coincidence?"

Harry fixed her with a level stare.

"Oh, fine, it was a nightmare, okay?" She said in annoyance. "But it's the first I've had in years, I swear."

"Then why haven't you been sleeping well?"

She shrugged. "I've had things on my mind."

"Like what?"

"None of your business, that's what." She said defensively.

"Hermione." He said warningly. "We've known each other for nearly a decade. Keeping secrets seems a bit counterproductive, don't you think?"

She took a pause before sighing. "I just can't, Harry."

"Can't what?"

"I think you know what." She said quietly. He bowed his head. "Harry I can't pretend anymore."

"I know." He answered in a similar tone.

"Then why are you here?"

He lifted his head and gave her an odd look. "What?"

"You're only making it worse." She said, feeling tears begin to form behind her eyelids. "You and me… we're not how we used to be, Harry. You have your upcoming royal responsibilities and Clara and I… I have my S.P.E.W duties."

"You're still working on that bill?" He asked, sounding surprised.

"Of course I am." She said quickly. "It's very important for house elf rights to have a-"

"Right." He interrupted. "But I don't think that our lives should get in the way of our friendship, `Mione."

"But they already have." She said softly. "It took you a week to notice I've been losing sleep when you're usually on my case the night after. I haven't had a conversation with you since that night in the kitchen when we almost-" He looked at her expectantly but she shook her head and changed the subject. "Things have changed, Harry. We'd be fools not to accept it."

"Hermione what are you talking about?" Harry asked, aghast. "You're speaking as though we're not friends anymore but we are. You're my best friend, Hermione, and I'm not about to lose you to responsibilities and whatever else stands in the way."

He cupped her face with his hand. She met his eyes slowly and let a small smile grace her lips. "Why are you so good to me?"

"Someone has to be." He said teasingly. She laughed and put her hand atop his, silently thanking him. He turned his hand over and interlaced their fingers. He let them rest on the space between them and squeezed in response.

He leaned in closer and lowered his voice. "They're only here for a few more days. Do you think you can survive until then?"

She shrugged. "I want to say yes but my subconscious begs to differ."

He knew she was trying to make light of the situation but he didn't laugh. He knew what it was like to go days without sleep. You not only carry yourself heavier but your mind becomes increasingly weaker with each moment you force your eyes open. He could think of only one way to attempt to help her - something he hadn't done since the war.

"Let me stay with you tonight." He said.

She looked at him reproachfully. "I don't know if that's the best-"

"Hermione we both know that during the war we slept better when we were together. Now, I don't know if it'll work but it's worth a try."

Inwardly, Hermione was ecstatic that Harry had suggested it first. Outwardly, however, she maintained her composure with trained grace. "I suppose you're right. I've already tried a potion and it proved to be ineffective so I don't have much choice."

He nodded. "Another night without sleep and you may bite Clara's head off."

"I have been nothing but nice to her since she arrived." Hermione defended herself.

"Yes, but I see the way you look at her." Harry said with amusement. "It doesn't take a seer to notice the way you glare at her when you think no one's watching."

Hermione blushed. "We should probably tuck into bed."

"Great idea."

The sun was just beginning to set on the horizon but Harry knew that Hermione needed all the rest he could hope to provide for her, even if he wasn't yet tired. He kicked off his shoes and pulled off his overcoat and shirt, preparing himself for what he hoped to be a peaceful sleep. Hermione was already snuggled deep within the covers but had yet to close her eyes. She was waiting for him. He slid in next to her and pulled her close to him, hugging her back to his chest.

Please work, he thought to himself as he felt Hermione's breathes grow deep and even. Please let her sleep peacefully. Please.

He continued repeat similar phrases in his mind until he too began to slip into unconsciousness. Soon, both were sound asleep, enjoying peaceful slumber and blissfully unaware of the opaque white mist that hung over their bodies.

-->