Unofficial Portkey Archive

Magique by the_real_mrs_potter
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Magique

the_real_mrs_potter

A/N: My first semester of college is now officially complete and I am freeeeeeeee! Well, for a month, anyway. I finally finished this chapter which I started just before my finals and let me just say that it was a real bitch to finish. I have been busy every day since I've been home and it was really hard to find time to update. But I finally did and I hope that I can update again before going to school. Anyway I really hope this chapter was worth the wait (as always… ha) and thank you for being so patient and understanding! You guys are amazing.

Disclaimer: Harry Potter isn't mine.

Enjoy!

-

Magique
Chapter 18: I Carry Your Heart With Me

It had been just over three weeks since Cedric had returned from Slytherin and Hermione was in a right state. Her belly had begun to grow and that paired with her rising hormone levels was making it increasingly hard to concentrate both during her shifts and The Leaky Cauldron and late research sessions with Cedric and Celine.

"Hermione, you're wearing yourself thin." Cedric said later one night. Hermione glared at him as she placed a hand over her swollen stomach. "Relatively speaking, of course."

She sighed and set down the book she had been reading and rereading for over two hours. After their plan to get Harry into the head position of the court had been put into action, Hermione shifted gears to narrowing down the possibilities on who had made the accusation that had lead to her banishment. Although she already had her suspicions, she didn't want to let her biases get the better of her. But at this point with all the little progress they had made, she was ready to accuse anyone.

"The faster we figure this out, the faster I can return to Gryffindor and resume my life exactly how it was." She said, flipping to the next page of the book quite loudly.

"Exactly how it was?" Cedric asked with a raised eyebrow.

Hermione felt her face flush. "Well no, not exactly. But you get my point."

"Yes, I do." Cedric said, leaning over his pile of books to meet her gaze. "I also get that you need your rest. You have a big day tomorrow."

Hermione nodded. "I know."

"And you're the one who insisted that you accompany us."

"I know."

"After all you said about how it would be too dangerous. But you made a promise to yourself and him that-Ë®

"I know." She snapped.

Cedric smirked. "Good. Well as long as you know."

She narrowed her eyes at him.

"You're going to need your beauty rest if you're going to want to make an impression."

She clenched her teeth. "I can't be recognized, Cedric. We went over this. What's the point of dolling up if Harry isn't even going to recognize me?"

"Because you have to fit in with the crowd." Cedric said blatantly. "And it's going to take a lot of work to make sure Harry doesn't recognize you at all."

Hermione sighed. She knew he was right. Harry knew her inside and out and if she wanted to sneak into his coronation, she had to be smart about it. She couldn't style her hair the way she usually did at a ball, she couldn't wear anything she would normally, she had to wear layers of powder and crèmes - she couldn't look herself at all. If Harry knew she was there he would go into a state. And if he noticed her protruding stomach it would be even worse.

Hermione closed the cover of her book with a light sound of resignation. "Fine. You win."

Cedric grinned and followed her as she got out of her seat and retreated to her room. She turned to him as they reached the door and smiled softly. "Good night."

"Sleep well, Mia."

She chuckled under her breath and closed the door behind her. The room she had been living in these past few weeks wasn't as large as the one she had in Gryffindor Castle, nor was it as small as the one back in her old home in the lower towns. It was a happy medium and she wouldn't have liked it any other way. Her bed was angled in the corner with two windows on either side of the canopy, giving an illusion of her own personal astronomy tower. All it needed was a roof that retracted so she could stare at the stars as she attempted to sleep.

She dressed in her nightgown, which was becoming snugger each day, and got into a comfortable position on her bed. When she finally relaxed she let a small smile expand across her face. She was going to see Harry tomorrow. After all of this time away she was going to see his ebony hair, piercing green eyes, and heart-melting smile.

But though she tried to dampen her excitement, knowing that it would only threaten their plan, she still could not wipe the smile from her lips. Tomorrow she would be reminded on why she was fighting in the first place. And that thought in all of its promise was what got her the best sleep she had had in months.

~*~

Today was the day. He looked at himself once more in the floor-length mirror and saw a stranger standing before him. A stranger decked out in flamboyant robes and crowned jewels - someone that he couldn't bring himself to take seriously. Of course, he could never take himself too seriously. Not after all that had happened throughout his life. He couldn't afford that sort of luxury.

"Harry?"

He turned around to see his best friend standing in the doorway with a lopsided grin. He was dressed in his best attire with Gryffindor colors head to foot. His ceremonial sash was placed just right upon his chest, badges and medals shining brightly in the light.

Harry smiled softly. "You look dapper."

"And you look like you're about to walk the plank." He responded, taking a few steps further into the room.

"Gee, thanks Ron. You really know how to brighten a man's mood."

"Just doing my job." He said with fake modesty. When he saw Harry's face fall back into his former expression of blankness he sobered his tone and looked at his old friend with a serious expression. "You nervous?"

"Not really." Harry responded honestly. "I just… never thought this day would come. It seems so surreal. And without Hermione here it feels just wrong."

Ron nodded. There was a definite emptiness in the air without Hermione's warm presence. It didn't feel right having the ceremony with her still banished but they all knew that it was essential to the plan. Harry had obtained a steady candidacy for the head of the Court and it would be helped even more so with his promotion to king. All in all, it was ultimately helping them bring Hermione home. But knowing that didn't quite seem to fill the gaps in their hearts where the beloved Lady's company should be.

"It's for the best." Ron eventually replied.

"I know." Harry responded. "But it doesn't feel like it."

Ron placed a comforting hand on the soon-to-be-king's shoulder. "Just remember to relax. It's supposed to be a happy day."

Harry nodded. "You're right."

"You'd be surprised how often that's true."

Harry chuckled and shoved Ron off of him. The two men shared looks of amusement that seemed to melt away their worries. Their moment was short-lived, however, when there was a quiet knock on the door. They turned and saw the bright blonde hair and trademark blue dress that still managed to make an impression.

"Clara." Harry breathed.

"I know I'm not supposed to be up here but I told the guards it was urgent."

Harry's brow furrowed. "What is it?"

Her eyes flickered to Ron for a brief moment. "Do you mind if I tell you in private?"

Harry looked to the redhead and Ron nodded. "I'll see you at the ceremony."

He nodded to Clara on his way out before shutting the door. Harry looked at the petite Ravenclaw with a staid expression. "What's happened?"

"Oh, nothing." She said nervously. "I just wanted to speak with you alone about something."

"It couldn't wait until after the ceremony?" He asked, slightly annoyed. He would have liked to spend a few more moments with Ron, seeing as he was the only one who could make him forget his worried nowadays.

Her eyes shined with regret the moment the words came out of his lips. "I'm sorry, you're right. I had no authority to barge in on you before your coronation. Pardon me."

She turned to leave but something inside Harry made him call out, "Wait."

She froze and craned her head to look back at him.

"It obviously meant something to you if you went to all of the trouble of speaking to my guards and navigating your way around the castle. It's the least I can do to hear what you have to say."

She turned back around to face him and took a few steps forward. She spoke very quietly, with a light air in her tone. "I just… I wanted to see how you were. You haven't responded to any of my letters since after me and my mother left. You looked positively devastated after the trial and I… I don't know… I wanted to make sure you were alright."

Harry looked at her with a guilty expression. He had been meaning to return her letters, but with all of the time he had been dedicating to revoking Hermione's sentence he hadn't found the right moment to begin a single reply.

"I'm doing better, I suppose." He said. "I'm truly sorry I haven't replied to your letters. I've been pressed for time these past few weeks and couldn't find a moment to catch my breath let alone sit down and write a letter. I hope you do not think ill of me."

"No of course not." She said. "I figured that you were busy with preparations for the coronation. A future king shouldn't be bothered with letters from a Lady well outside his kingdom when he has more important things to worry about."

Harry nodded, going along with her logic. "Thank you for understanding. I couldn't bear it if I was on your bad side."

"Hardly." She said with a smile.

"Good." He said, returning her smile. "I'm glad we understand each other."

She nodded, her tone turning somber once more. "I know it must be hard without her here - Hermione, I mean. She was your close friend, yes?"

"She still is." Harry said, bowing his head. "And in some ways, much more than that."

Clara's eyes widened. "So it's true, then? You do love her."

Harry's neck snapped up to her. "Where did you hear that?"

"Nowhere." She said quickly. Straightening her composure, she continued. "I was at the trial, Harry. She proclaimed her love for you in that room and I saw the way you looked at her after that. Like you couldn't believe she was real - that mixed with pure terror as the trial turned for the worst."

Harry was speechless.

"A woman's intuition is a powerful thing, Harry." She continued. "And to be truthful I sensed the connection between the two of you from the start. But I was selfish and didn't want to acknowledge it when I knew that I could ignore it and pursue my own desires. I know now that it was wrong for me to keep you apart and for that I must be the one to apologize. I let my mother's encouraging words and my own delusions push me to do something I knew was wrong. And after the trial I felt even more disgusted at myself for what I had done. I am so sorry, Harry. I wish I could take it all back."

A pregnant silence stretched out between the two of them as Harry let her words sink in. He would be a fool to say that there hadn't been something between the two of them and if things were different and he didn't love Hermione, maybe they would have stood a chance. But things were different, and he knew now that Hermione was the only woman with a place in his heart. He looked into Clara's light blue eyes and saw her sorrow reflected in them.

"We cannot change the past." Harry began. "I do not hold your actions against you. I am at as much fault as you are - hiding from my true feelings for far too long. Now I fear I am paying the consequences and I don't believe I should share that burden with anyone but myself. There is nothing to forgive because you did nothing wrong."

"Harry…"

"I am glad you came up to see me. I can now go into my coronation with a much wider perspective."

Clara smiled sadly at him. "You're going to make a truly wonderful king."

"Thank you."

She pressed her lips together, looking to be in thought. After a moment she looked at Harry with a nervous expression. "I hope that after all of this we can still remain friends."

"Of course." He conceded.

To his surprise, she closed the distance between the two of them and wrapped him in a warm embrace. He returned the pressure briefly before she let go, her cheeks a light shade of red. "Good luck today, Harry."

"Thank you." He replied with a genuine smile.

"Your highness?" A deep voice said from the doorway. "It's nearly time."

"Oh! I'd better be off and find my seat." Clara said in a rush. She quickly turned around and walked to towards the door until she suddenly stopped. Harry looked at her with an amused expression as she turned on her heel.

"One last thing." She said. "To be receiving your kinghood today with a high head in the absence of the one you love makes you the bravest man I've ever known."

Harry couldn't find the words to reply to her statement. Not wanting to wait for him to find them, she rushed out the door, knowing that her tardiness wouldn't make a good impression on the other members of the hierarchy already seated.

Finally finding himself, Harry straightened his composure and tried to allow Clara's kind words to add to his motivation to get through the ceremony. Taking a deep breath and looking one last time in the mirror, he left the safe confines of his room and followed the two guards waiting outside on a short trek to the grand ballroom.

From outside the double doors, Harry could both feel and hear the hundreds of people just beyond their oak build. His guards were now on either side of him but he knew that he must make his ascend down the aisle alone. He wished more than anything he could have at least Ron by his side - it didn't feel right to be doing this without either him or Hermione. But it was in the tradition of the kingdom that the crowned prince must do it alone.

But somehow, he knew in his heart that he wasn't alone. Sure he may be walking by himself but that did not that mean he didn't have the thoughts and prayers of everyone he knew and loved following his every step.

The sound of trumpets interrupted his train of thought and he immediately straightened his composure. The guards grasped each of the door handles and pulled gently, letting the warm light of the hall spill onto his skin. A hush fell and every head in the room turned to look at him. He tried not to let his face color at all of the attention and began to walk, being mindful not to trip. With his luck, he would land flat on his face on a day like this.

Thankfully, he made it all the way to the main platform without incident, taking in all of the familiar and not-so-familiar faces along the way. He saw the Weasleys, Clara and her mother, and a few Hufflepuffs that he had met before. When he stepped onto the platform, Sirius greeted him with a wide smile. Dumbledore was directly beside him, acting as the master of ceremony.

"Ladies and gentlemen, Lords and Ladies alike, we are gathered here this day to mark the end of an era and begin anew with the crowning of Prince Harry James Potter, future king of Gryffindor."

Dumbledore motioned Harry forward so that he was shoulder-to-shoulder with Sirius. Both of their backs were to the people and Harry could feel the weight of their gazes bearing into his back. But despite the heaviness he felt of expectations and envy alike, he kept a level head by thinking of the people who mattered - the people he was doing this for: his people, his kingdom, and his love.

"Kneel." Dumbledore said. Harry and Sirius obeyed. The elder's blue eyes focused on Sirius. "Do you, Sirius Orion Black, willingly pass on your crown to Harry James Potter, revoking your responsibilities and title?"

"I do." Sirius said.

Dumbledore looked at Harry. "And do you, Harry James Potter, accept the crown from Sirius Orion Black, obtaining all responsibilities that the crown entails?"

"I do." Harry said.

Nodding, Dumbledore reached down and plucked the crown from Sirius's head and placed it atop Harry's. Despite the regality of the jeweled headpiece, it felt light as a feather.

"Arise and face your people, King Harry James Potter of Gryffindor."

Harry stood and turned, looking at the crowd. Applause echoed throughout the hall and Harry grinned and bowed, not knowing what else to do. The ceremony was now complete and he felt a heaviness lift from his shoulders. He was now officially the king of Gryffindor. His eyes searched the crowd as he began to wave, taking in every smiling face. He spotted Cedric and gave him a nod. Next to him he saw a blonde women dressed in a light yellow gown. She had hair golden as the sun and eyes as green as his own. She was very beautiful and he couldn't shake the feeling that he had seen her somewhere before. Shaking his head he continued looking about the room. After all, he had seen many of these people before. One woman couldn't be all that different.

Sirius put a hand on his shoulder and whispered in his ear. "You did it, Harry."

Harry lowered his hand and looked at his godfather with a grin. "I don't feel any different."

"That's a good thing." He said teasingly. "Means you'll keep your level head."

Harry nodded with a chuckle. "Now I just have to face all the congratulations at the ball."

Sirius chuckled. "And that, my boy, is your first great test."

Harry shoved him in the shoulder and followed him down the steps of the platform. Though the big step was over, they still had a long way to go. And that included getting changed for the grand ball that was to take place within the hour where he would meet and greet the majority of the people present at the coronation.

~*~

"We have to go."

"Hermione, calm down."

"He saw me, Cedric. We have to go. Now."

"I'm sure he didn't recognize you." Cedric said, putting a calming hand on her shoulder.

"You didn't see the way he was looking at me. Either he recognized me or I look really, really familiar." She said in a rush, looking about the hall as the castle's help began to rearrange the furniture to make room for the ball. "We can't stay here. As king he's going to have to meet with a large amount of the guests and if he sees me again his curiosity won't let him leave it be."

"Hermione, calm down." He repeated. "You know I would follow you out in a heartbeat but I'm part of the Hufflepuff hierarchy now. I can't just up and leave, especially since I'm the liaison between you and Harry. If I leave he's going to suspect something's up."

"But we can be long gone by then." She argued.

"I'm sorry but no." He said firmly. "You were adamant about coming here and now you have to live with the consequences."

Hermione's face became pale. "Excuse me for a moment."

Cedric nodded and Hermione rushed past him and out of the hall. She made a beeline to the nearest washroom and bent over the nearest chamber pot. A wave of nausea washed over her and she dumped the contents of her breakfast into the porcelain. Clutching her stomach, she braved the rest of the sickness and leaned back against the wall when she was finished.

When she first saw Harry enter the hall her entire body reacted, and that included the baby. It kicked her for the first time when she saw him. She placed a hand over her stomach and smiled to herself. It was incredible that the baby reacted to his presence like that. Well, it was either that or her rapidly increasing heartbeat. Either way being around Harry elicited a reaction that both excited and scared her.

When their eyes met it was only for a brief moment. She had to act like she was just another royal guest at the coronation and not some love-struck teenager. But in that moment she wanted nothing more than to fly above the crowd and knock him over with a tight embrace and a kiss that would make the entire hall swoon.

Then the flicker of recognition made its way into his eyes and her thrill turned to panic. Despite being in a large crowed of beautiful royalty he still managed to find her, even if he didn't know it. But familiarity was dangerous enough to make her desire to leave alarmingly high though she knew Cedric was unable to do so.

Now she knew that she had to avoid seeing Harry at all costs, no matter how much it pained her. And as her nausea was slowly waning, she knew that she had to exit the washroom soon, no matter how much she wanted to lock herself in here for the remainder of the ball.

After a few more minutes of regaining her composure and coming up with a surefire way to avoid being seen by the newly crowned king, she got up off of the ground and exited her safe haven. She could hear the loud hum of voices in the hall and with a large intake of breath, she entered the sea of people, looking for Cedric.

She found him within a minute and he smiled at her. "Are you alright?"

"Better." She said. "I'll never know why they call it morning sickness when it comes at every moment of the day."

He chuckled briefly before seizing up. His eyes flickered above her head and she felt dread wash over her.

"Hello Cedric." The familiar bass sounded from behind her. She had to repress a shiver.

"H-Harry." He said with a stutter that couldn't be hidden.

"Would you care to introduce me to your truly dazzling friend?"

Hermione stiffened.

-->