Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Duelist by Hawkins
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Duelist

Hawkins

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter, JKR does.I don't make money on my writing.Quotes and paraphrases from OOTP.

Chapter 18: Back to Hogwarts

Harry awoke feeling incredibly well rested, despite falling asleep so late.He hadn't dreamt at all, at least no nightmares, and found he was fairly at peace about the surprise visit to theDursleys, despite the fact that he would never have initiated what was essentially an assault.

Hermione draped nude over him might have helped him sleep.She was better thanocculomencyfor protecting his dreams.Waking to her still asleep was a rarity and he savored it.He blew enough of her hair out of his face so he could look down her body in the early morning island dawn.Harry lingered on the dimples in the small of her back, one of his favorite parts of the view.It was nice to be able to stare and not worry about getting "caught".The view was wonderful and combined with the feeling of her right breast pressing against hisribcage,it was enough to add to his normal morning erection.He wasn't sure if she waswakingon her own or if the hardness poking into her thigh was enough to wake her, but she made a small noise as she started to stir.

"Mmmm…" Hermione said, glancing up his chest at Harry, blushing, but trying to act saucy, "is that for me?"

"It's always for you." Harry said with a smile.

She just stared at him for a moment.

"Very smooth, Potter."Shesaid,the corner of her mouth quirking upwards, "You're getting better at that."

"Thanks." He said with a grin.

Hermione pushed herself to her elbows, ignoring the sheets that were pooled around their feet.Harry enjoyed the show, watching as her breasts hung free, at least as much hanging as a pair of teen breasts could do.She drew her right leg under her and swung her left over Harry's hips, ending up straddling him.Her legs were smooth against his hairy ones and her sex was smooth against him.He wondered if she'd kept it that way even before they were dating, but he'd never gotten around to asking her.He liked to imagine she'd worn it like that for herself before she'd ever suspected anyone would see the result.

"You're playing with fire, Miss Granger." He murmured, enjoying the feeling of her moistening folds sliding over his morning erection.

"Oh, so you're the responsible one, now?" Hermione teased, "You're the one who's decided to follow the rules?"

"Well, it is for a good cause." Harry said, "More magical power if we wait until we're supposed to…."

"That's a stupid rule." Hermione pouted, "Besideswhoneeds more inches when you're already hung like a porn star?"

Harry gaped at her.She kept a straight face for several minutes, going so far as to cock her head to the side, pretending to be curious about why he was looking at her like that, but eventually she couldn't continue and started giggling, ending up with her face buried in his neck.

"Ok, ok, I imagined that would be something Seamus would say." Hermione giggled.

"Hey!"Harry exclaimed, "Don't be thinking of Seamus when you're in bed with me."

Hermione just shook her head as she raised her upper body off Harry and resumed rocking her hips.

"Ok, ok.Let's concentrate on what we're doing.We need to finish up, so we can pack.I can't believe today's the last day on the island."

They lost themselves in the wet friction, neither of them taking long to finish.Hermione lazily continued to ride out her aftershocks enjoying the naughty feeling of rubbing her quim against the hot sticky mess.Contraceptive potions and charms were definitely a good thing, she thought.

Hermione had no sooner relaxed back into her position with her face buried in Harry's neck when the door opened.

"Harry?Hermione?"Luna's voice reached them quietly.

"Crap, I forgot to ward the door!" Hermione whispered, dragging the sheets over them, then saying more loudly, "We're here, Luna.How can we help you?"

They'd taken the blondeRavenclawunder their wings since Ron's disappearance.Normally unflappable, his departure had saddened the normally cheerful young woman.Both Harry and Hermione had tried to make up for it with their friendship and the closeness had definitely drawn them closer together.Which could be frustrating, given that the girl had few to no boundaries to begin with.

"Have you packed?" Luna asked, coming into view around the door.She was in a thin nightgown, which was barely opaque.She was barefoot, as she often was, and her dirty blonde hair had obviously not yet seen a brush that morning.Harry was simply thankful she'd worn anything.She sometimes didn't think to, whether due to being raised by a widowed eccentric newspaper publisher or due to her own absentmindedness and total lack of social convention, but it was still a little funny that the one time she came upon them nude was one time she would have remembered to dress.

"Mostly, Luna."Hermione said, speaking for them both.Harry couldn't bring himself to talk to the girl while he was completely naked and his spunk was still cooling on his skin.

"Good." Luna said, "It would be easy to forget something.What are you going to do when we go back?"

"Well, we're going to spend the night with my parents, Luna, and then havethemtake us shopping inMuggleLondon to get some new clothes for the term.They'd planned to spend their holiday here with us, but new requirements for electronic patient records forced them to cancel and work to get it all done, but they missed me.Plus, all the exercise on the island has been good, but I'm afraid my old clothes aren't going to fit.Then we're going to go toDiagonAlley for some last minute school shopping now that we have our lists.We're going to spend the night at the Leaky Cauldron, sinceit'scloser to the station."

Luna seemed to forget what she'd come in to talk about for a minute and she just stared at Hermione while she chewed on her lower lip.It was actually a habit of Hermione's she'd picked up.She's started to imitate the slightly older witch in small ways as they grew closer.

"Do you think he meant to run away from me?" she whispered, before breaking into tears.

"Oh, no, Luna."Hermione said, her own eyes getting a little watery.She watched the younger girl and when it was clear this wasn't going to be a tiny breakdown, she sat up, mindless of her own undress and pulled the girl into a hug.Luna sobbed on Hermione's bare shoulder, seeming totally unmindful of her surroundings.

"Why did he leave?Everything was going so well!I've had a crush on him forever and he finally liked me back.I've never really had friends and now I have you and I had a boyfriend.It was all going so well.I really thought he liked me!"

"Shhhh…." Hermione said, rocking the slender blonde, "It'sok.He did like you, Luna.I'm sure he still likes you.If you're going to be around Ron, you're going to have to realize, he sometimes forgets other people when he gets hung up on his own problems."

"So you don't think he stopped liking me, you just think he forgot me?" Luna asked, her tears stopping temporarily.

Hermione considered the question, wondering whether any answer to that question would be safe, before deciding on the truth.

"Yes, Luna, that's exactly what I think.He forgot you and your friendship, just like he forgot about ours.I'm sorry, but I know from experience that he'll be back.This is a long one, but he seemed to be building up to it after he got so mad at Harry after he was picked for theTriwizardtournament."

"The question is." Harry asked, "When he comes back, will you still be interested in him?"

Luna looked up at him, drying her tears on the sheet.

"Yes." She said in a small, quiet voice, "It would take a lot more than that to make me not feel anything for him."

"We keep deciding the same thing." Hermione sighed, "He's agit, but he's ourgit."

H/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/Hr

They showered and dressed after sending Luna back to her own room to do the same.They met the others for breakfast, coming into the dining room only to find one of the Black House Elves, ready to tell them to go out on the beach.On the beach there were tables set for breakfast and most of their teachers were already there.

"The sleepers have awakened!" Sirius said in a grandiose voice.

Remus just shook his head at the reference.

"You've finally arrived."Snapehissed, "Joy.My day is complete."

"Good morning to you, too, ProfessorSnape." Harry said, laughing. "Professor Moody, Professor Ashdown."

"Morning to you."Moody said with a grunt.

They ate and chatted with their teachers, pushing off the time when they'd have to say goodbye to what had been a very special summer.

"Well, Potter." Moody said, clunking over on his peg leg to sit next to Harry, "I'm proud of you.You really worked hard this summer and led your friends to work hard.It isn't easy to meet my standards and the men who are trying are normally quite a few years older than you, but you've exceeded them.We barely even acknowledged your birthday and I know that must have been difficult for you."

Harry didn't say anything.He'd only had a few birthdays that had actually been celebrated.This summer's had actually been a pretty special birthday compared to most.

"Anyway, I wanted to give you something.Remus suggested it when he found out I had it."

Moody held out a flat package wrapped in plain wrapping paper.Harry took it and was about to open it, but remembered who had handed it to him.He passed his wand over the package, casting non-verbalrevealingspells, looking for tricks or traps.Only then did he begin to unwrap it.With a smile up at Moody, he explained,

"Constant Vigilance, you know."

Moody smiled, which in itself was a horrific sight with the complicated tracery of scars that crisscrossed his face, but his eye revealed his genuine pleasure and Harry smiled back even a bit bigger at his mentor.

Inside the package, he found a framed photograph.When he looked at it, it was clearly a wizard photo, because the people moved and waved at him.Two, in particular, waved very enthusiastically.He recognized his parents from other photos and from the Mirror ofErisedin his first year.He could also recognize Sirius, Remus, Moody, and Professor Dumbledore.One couple looked enough like Neville to convince him it was probably theLongbottoms, who he'd never met.

"Who is this?" Harry asked.

"There'sme." Moody said, unnecessarily, "Dumbledore beside me,DedalusDiggleon the other side, Marlene McKinnon, she was killed two weeks after this was taken with her entire family.That's Frank and AliceLongbottom, poor devils, better off dead than what happened to them.That'sEmmelineVance, you've met her.You knowLupin.BenjyFenwick, he copped it, too, we never found more than bits of him.Shift aside there." He added, poking the picture to make the photographic people shift, "That's Edgar Bones, Amelia'sbrother,they got him and his family, too.He was a great wizard."

"Was Edgar Susan's dad?" Harry asked.

"Susan Bones?Yes, I think so." Moody offered uncertainly, "SturgisPodmore…CaradocDearborn, vanished six months after this was taken, we never found a body…Hagrid, you can't miss him…ElphiasDoge, you've met him, too…GideonPrewett, it took five Death Eaters to kill him and his brother Fabian, they fought like heroes.Aberforth,Albus' brother…DorcasMeadowes,Voldemortkilled her personally…Sirius with short hair, this was when he was a newAuror, and next to him, thought that would interest you!"

Harry was pleased to see his parents, but it was startling seeing them standing next toWormtail.

"Well, that's one of the few pictures of the original Order of the Phoenix." Moody explained, "That was taken during the first war againstVoldemort.I thought you might like a copy, so you could remember that your parents faced him beforeyou .When the going gets rough, remember you're not the first who's opposed this darkarse."

Harry was silent, just staring at the photo for several minutes.He absorbed the picture, seeing his parents together, not much older than he was now, and it moved him.After the recent intense training, he felt a deep kinship with his friends and he wondered if that's how his parents had felt with these others, including Moody.It was frightening to realize how many of the original Order had died in the fight againstVoldemort, but that knowledge stiffened Harry's resolve to keep giving his all to his training.Only if he were at the peak of his potential could he end this and protect those he loved.Especially Hermione, like his father had tried to protect his mother, but had been unable.

"Professor Moody, thank you." Harry said around the lump in his throat, his eyes shining.

"It's nothing." Moody said brusquely, more accustomed to battlefield relationships than casually expressed feelings, but clearly affected by the emotion pouring off the son of two of his earlier students and protégés.

Later, ProfessorSnapegestured to Harry.

"Mister Potter." He whispered.

"Yes, Professor?"Harry asked cautiously.

"You understand that how I behave towards you in school will not change significantly?"

"I do, sir." Harry said quietly.

"Very well, then."Snapesaid, leaning back, "Carry on."

The five remaining students gathered their belongings after breakfast and met on the front porch of the house.Sirius stood there with twoportkeysin the form of velvet ropes, one red andone gold.He handed the red rope to ArthurWeasley.

"Tell me when you're ready." Sirius said, looking at Arthur's group, theWeasleysand Luna.

"Right then, Sirius." Arthur said politely, "Thank you again for letting my children participate."

"Think nothing of it." Sirius said, the side of his mouth quirking upwards, "Hope your boy found what he was looking for."

"I'm sure he did." Arthur replied, "Well, we're off."

TheWeasleysdisappeared.

"Our turn."Sirius said, "Rather, your turn.I'm going to send you ahead with Remus.I'm going to stay behind for a day to close this place back down to caretaker status forawhile."

Remus, Harry, Hermione, and Neville all grasped the golden rope.With a tap, Mooney activated thePortkey.

Suddenly appearing in the drawing room ofGrimmauldPlace, Harry barely stumbled.His traveling skills were slowly improving.Remus shrunk the golden rope into a thread and placed it in a small box on the mantle.

"Whenever you're ready, Neville, feel free to use thefloo." Remus said, "Harry, Hermione, I understand you're going to the Granger house?"

"That's right." Hermione said, "Are you going to meet us inDiagonAlley tomorrow?"

"We're hoping to, Hermione." Remus grinned, "Not that we haven't seen quite a bit of you both this summer, but we're going to miss you.It'll be nice to catch up on some rest, but it'll be tough reverting back to lonely bachelors after being with family all summer."

"Maybe give you a chance to do some hunting." Harry grinned, "If you know what I mean?"

"Well, we're not all as randy as teenagers,Pronglet." Remus laughed, ruffling Harry's already unruly hair and causing all three teens to blush.

"I'd better be going." Neville said, knowing Mr.Lupinwas only being playful, but dreading that word of his behavior might somehow leak back to his Gran and embarrass him or worse, Ginny.

"See you inDiagon, tomorrow,Nev?" Harry said.

"Wouldn't miss it, Harry."Neville responded seriously, before tossingfloopowder into the fireplace, "LongbottomManor!"

Neville disappeared in greenish flames.

"I need to speak to you, Harry." Sirius said.

"Ok, we've got some time before we need to leave." Harry answered.

"Since you brought back the news thatVoldemortis back, Dumbledore has reconstituted the Order of the Phoenix.He couldn't have done that if you and Hermione hadn't survived to tell us thatVoldemortwas back, so well done.We're doing what we can to hamper the Death Eaters, not least of which is training you.Our main obstacle so far is Minister Fudge."

"Minister Fudge?" Hermione said, "I had the feeling he would be trouble and we've read some copies of the Prophet that you brought to the island.We've got a plan for dealing with thateventually,it's just not quite the right time, yet."

Sirius quirked an eyebrow at that, "Well, whatever you're planning, I would coordinate it with Dumbledore.He's the most knowledgeable of all of us about the inner workings of government.Fudge has decided to attack him out of worry thatAlbusis trying to undermine him so that he can take over as Minister in Fudge's place.He's got the Prophet insinuating thatAlbusis senile and too trusting of you.Meanwhile, you're being portrayed as a lying, attention seekingprat."

Harry shook his head, tightened his jaw, and his eyes blazed, but he didn't say a word.This was a very different, more-controlled Harry than before he'd bonded with Hermione and almost-masteredOcculomency.

"When you go outside, you're going to see the consequences of this smear campaign.You'll probably also see it when you get back to Hogwarts.Don't worry, just keep your head down and don't play into it.Only react if you must.We don't need to feed their image of you as a poorly controlled rebel."

"Ok, Sirius." Harry said, nodding his head, "I won't stand for being attacked, though, especially not for Hermione being attacked.IfMalfoypushes me far enough, I'm going to challenge him to a duel by the Pureblood laws.I think given how much I've learned,one duel might be enough to stop any other challenges."

"You're probably right, but don't underestimate Draco, either.You've had special training now, but he's likely gotten special training every summer, given his family's wealth and inclinations."

"Well, it's never done him any good." Harry offered, "He may have the training, but he doesn't have the discipline and I think that's kept him from really benefitting, otherwise he would have beaten me every time we faced off and Hermione couldn't be at the top of the class, despite beingMuggleborn."

"Probably true."Sirius said, gripping Harry's shoulder,thenruffling his hair.Harry ducked his head.Most teen boys might have been embarrassed, but Harry had longed for family for so long he would never be embarrassed by shows of affection.Early on, he'd been unsure of how to respond, but with Hermione's help, he'd become more open and eventually very grateful for affection.

"Ok, you two.Get going." Sirius said, "You don't want to be late to dinner with the in-laws."

Harry hesitated.

"Are you ready, Harry?" Hermione asked, already knowing how Harry was feeling.

"Not sure about that, 'Mione." Harry said, unconsciously drawing himself up taller, "Are you sure we shouldn't let your parents put me into the guest room?We are both only 15 years old."

"I'm sure." Hermione said firmly, "We'll start out how we plan to continue on.We're engaged and you know we'd just end up sneaking back and forth anyway.I'd rather not lie to my parents, they've always told me to be open with them and now I'm calling them on it.If they don't like it, we canflooback here in no time."

She didn't hear his response, something about having the invisibility cloak if she changed her mind.

"The Grangers" Hermione called, throwing in a handful offloopowder and disappearing.

Harry followed closely behind.

H/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/Hr

Appearing in the living room of a modern home, Harry again managed to keep his feet, an unprecedented run of grace for him and magical travel.He could already see Hermione caught up in the arms of her father, Oberon.

"Daddy!" she squealed, as the big man picked her up.

Harry grinned and walked to her mother, his arms outstretched, "Mum."

"Ah, Harry, you know I love it when you call me that." Jane said, smiling back at her future son-in-law and drawing him into a hug that left him with no doubt where Hermione had picked up her hugging habits.

After they broke, he shook hands with her father.

"Sir."

"Harry." Oberon said, "You don't have to call me sir, but welcome."

"We're going to have Chinese take-out." Jane said, "You've got plenty of time to get settled before it arrives.Hermione, would you show Harry the guest room?"

Hermione blushed, but stood straighter and gathered up her Gryffindor courage.

"Actually, mum, I was planning to have Harry staying with me." She said, "We are engaged to be married and it would be silly to pretend to have separate rooms just for you."

Both Hermione's parents seemed a bit shocked, but Jane schooled her expression quickest and seemed to make a quick decision.

"Well, if that's how it is, then show him to your room.We'll be here."

The couple ran up to her room, disappearingquicky.Her parents waited until they were well out of ear shot.Oberon expelled a held breath in a deep sigh.

"Did my little girl just say what I thought she said?" Oberon asked, incredulous.

"I think she did." Jane said, then giggled, "And we were worried she might never bring her nose out of a book long enough to meet a boy."

"I guess that's not a problem." Mr. Granger replied, still stunned, "I want to threaten the boy, but it would go against everything we've taught her.I suppose we can't spend her whole childhood telling her to be honest with us and that we trust her judgment only to show how hypocritical we are when she decides to take advantage."

"No, we can't." Jane said, "They're young, but she's always been older than the calendar says and looking at Harry, he's got a very old soul.I think they'll be all right."

"I hope so." Oberon finished, dropping his voice to a near whisper, "And I hope to hell the insulation in the walls is thick enough.I don't think I could take hearing any… noises."

"Well, if they're not, maybe I can think of some way to distract you." Jane said flirtatiously.

"It's always the brainy ones." Oberon smiled, unconsciously echoing his future son-in-law's favorite phrase.

Upstairs, Hermione led Harry into her room and then shut the door, leaning her back against it.Harry went to her bed and flopped down on it.

"I can't believe I said that." Hermione groaned, "Now my parents know we're shagging!"

"I'm surprised I'm still breathing." Harry laughed.

"You don't understand!" Hermione agonized, "I've always been my daddy's good girl!Now he'll think I'm abint!"

"He won't!" Harry said loudly, "He'd never think that.I saw the way he looked at you and it was like you walk above the ground for him.He looks at you the way I feel about you.Wow, I thought I was worried and tried to talk you out of it.If you're this torn up about it, why did you insist on telling them we'd be staying together?"

"Because I love you, yougit!"Hermione said without any real anger in her voice at all.

"Well, ok, then." Harry said, "Trust your parents, Hermione.They obviously trust you."

"Ok." She said, stalking towards the bed, "I guess I can do that.Besides, it will be really hot having you in my bed.You don't know how many nights I lay in that bed and imagined you in it."

"There's my naughty girl." Harry said before his lips were smothered by Hermione's.

They broke after just a few minutes of passionate snogging.

"I guess we'd better not be up here long." Hermione sighed, "They really will think I've decided to shag you right away."

Harry recovered from the furious kissing and looked around.The room was much as he would have imagined.Bookshelves lined almost every square surface of the robin's egg blue walls and the desk had a prominent place of honor.There was a framed Vitruvian man poster as the only art aside from small photos of Harry, Hermione, and Ron in various combinations.One, in particular, caught Harry's eye, a photo of him and Hermione posed in the snow with Hedwig perched on his shoulder.Their black school robes made a startling contrast with the snow, making it a very dramatic picture.Photo Hermione kept glancing at photo Harry with a loving look and then blushing.Every once inawhile, photo Harry would do the same thing, but neither one ever caught the other looking.

After expanding their trunks at the foot of the bed, the two started to run back downstairs, but Hermione stopped.

"Harry, we really should practice apparition.My parents might enjoy seeing what I'm learning."

"Ok, Hermione." Harry said, then grinned, "Wasn't I the one who used to be the rule breaker?"

They vanished with a quiet almost silent pop, having practiced extensively on the island and reappeared in the living room.Hermione's father jumped away from her mother, pulling his hand back out of her shirt.

"Oh." Jane said, surprised, "We thought we'd hear you coming."

"We were a bit afraid we might here you coming." Oberon said under his breath, before Jane elbowed him.

The slightly awkward silence was broken by the rapping of the door knocker.Jane took several bills that she'd set aside for the delivery and opened the door.Harry helped, taking the boxes to the dining room table, where the Grangers already had plates laid out.

"Hmmm…this is good!" Harry said, enjoying his sweet and sour chicken, "I've never had this."

The Grangers looked at him curiously.

"You've never had sweet and sour chicken?" Jane asked, "Or never had Chinese food?"

"Neither." Harry answered after swallowing.He was careful not to look like Ron, knowing that drove Hermione crazy.

"That'ssurprising,don't your Aunt and Uncle like foreign food?" Oberon asked.

"They don't like much of anything." Harry answered, "Me,included.They ate Chinese take-out, even though my uncle would gripe about foreigners the whole time, but I wasn't allowed to have any.They said it was too expensive."

The Grangers exchanged a look.

"Harry, you're never planning on going back there, right?" Jane asked.

"No." Harry answered with a brilliant smile, "Never planning to go back there again."

H/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/Hr

The next morning, they woke and packed the few things they'd taken out of the trunks back into the trunks.They shared a shower in Hermione's attached bathroom, before dressing in clean clothes and heading downstairs.Hermione blushed slightly on seeing her parents, but quickly recovered and realized there wasn't some sign over her head proclaiming how she'd broken in her childhood bed and bedroom the previous night.She kissed her mum and dad, before sitting down to breakfast.

After breakfast, they loaded up the Grangers' sedan for the drive into London.

"Where do you want to go?" Jane asked as Obie pulled out of the driveway.

"Harrods, mum?" Hermione asked, "They have everything.We just need to pick up some clothes.I think I've grown out of almost everything and Harry has, too."

Harry was thankful this wouldn't be the first new wardrobe he'd gotten.Sirius had made sure he was dressed appropriately ever since he'd been his guardian, unlike theDursleys.

They spent the morning shopping for clothes.Harry realized how comfortable he was getting with his fiancée when he wasn't bothered when she helped him pick out boxers.He was a bit embarrassed when she took himknickershopping, but he was content to follow her lead and recommended some he thought might look good on her.He was surprised when he recommended a bra and she leaned over to whisper, "I don't need those, Harry.There are charms for that.Unless you like the way they look?"

"Mmmm… no, that's ok." Harry said quickly.

"I thought so." She replied with a devilish look.

After shopping, they had sushi for lunch, then walked to the underground station to travel a few miles to theMuggleentrance to the Leaky Cauldron.Walking through theMuggleentrance, they were soon attracting attention.

"It's Harry Potter!"

"Is that themuggleborngirl he's marrying?"

"Why are they dressed like that?"

Harry and Hermione ignored the constant mumbling that happened whenever Harry walked around thewizardingworld, but it was clear that the Grangers were surprised by the level of attention he attracted.

"They're talking about you?" Jane asked quietly.

"Yes, mum.I've told you Harry's famous?They're talking about him.I'm just famous for being engaged to him."

"Maybe for now."Harry said, "Someday, I'll be known as the boy-who-married-the-brightest-witch-in-the-world."

"Right."Hermione said, "boy-who-came-up-with-silly-names, maybe."

Luna saw them as they passed through the pub and quickly ran up to them. Neville, who had been sitting with her, walked up more slowly.

"Harry!Hermione!"Luna said happily, embracing each of them in turn.

"Luna!" Hermione said, giving the smaller girl a bone crushing hug.

"That's an interesting strategy for killingNargles." Luna mused distractedly, "It must work, because Harry seems remarkably free of them."

Neville gave Harry a firm handshake and Hermione a friendly hug, not saying much but content to be with his friends.

"Oh, come on Luna." Harry saidgoodnaturedly, "We've got shopping to do."

They continued to the brick wall, which Hermione tapped in the prescribed sequence, opening the door intoDiagonAlley.

The same hushed exclamations followed them as they did their shopping.Hermione had wanted to go to the bookstore first, but both Harry and her parents knew better, making that the last stop on the list.They had soon made their other stops, replenishing their basic potion supplies, buying rolls of parchment, quills, and ink.

At MadameMalkin'sthey were measured for tailored robes.Hermione initially planned to buy the same type of robes she'd always bought, quality, but not significantly nicer than the standard.However, when she began walking to the "off the rack" section of the store, MadameMalkinlooked shocked.

"Lord Potter?" she'd asked, "I assume you'll want tailored robes for you and your fiancée?"

"Yes, I think that would be best." Harry said, "WhateverMalfoybought this year, we'll each take the same."

"Ah, theAcromantulasilk." The proprietress said, nodding her head and looking relieved, "Good choice, Lord Potter."

"Acromantulasilk… that reminds me, can you add a set of dueling robes for each of us?" Harry continued, "All embroidered with the house crest, of course."

"Certainly."She said confidently, "MasterLongbottom, how about for you?MissLovegood?"

Soon they were fitted with robes and uniforms appropriate to their status.Harry had learned he didn't even have to pay, he just signed and sealed with his house signet and the money would be deducted from his vault, at a substantial savings compared to the priceMugglebornspaid, as well.Harry was quickly learning how skewed everything was in the favor of the Purebloods and while he hated it, he was glad those rules worked for him and protected Hermione rather than the opposite, the way they had before.With a promise to have their order ready by the time they returned, the family walked to Flourish andBlott's, likely Hermione's favorite store on Earth.

They had purchased the books from the previous year's sixth year book list before leaving for Black Isle and Hermione had already studied those books in depth, freeing her to focus on her 'supplementary book list'.She had worked hard to compile a list of books that would add to their education.Heavy in defense, but strong in the overall Hogwarts curriculum, she had after long discussion with Harry, who had been supported by Sirius, agreed that money was no object.Harry had been the one to finally come up with the winning argument that all the Potter and Black money would be good for nothing if they didn't learn what they needed to know to beatVoldemort.Hermione had begun compiling her list immediately, cross referencing the list of books available in the Black Library and the Hogwarts collections before making her final choices.It was lucky that charmed trunks, shrinking and featherweight charms existed or they would have never been able to carry their purchases.

"What is that one?" Hermione asked, looking disgustedly at a matched set of two defense books Harry had added to their stack.

"These are the DefenseAgainstthe Dark Arts texts for this year." Harry answered, startled by Hermione's question, "The new professor changed from last year's text.Didn't you read the book list?"

Hermione blushed, embarrassed to have been caught not having studied it in detail.She knew the books from the previous year's curriculum and knew they were among the best of all the books written on their respective subjects, but she wasn't pleased with the Defense text.

"McMillan's rates 'Defensive Magical Theory' a 'T' for 'Troll' in their most recent ratings of the books available for DADA." Hermione huffed, "They speculated the thing was only published becauseSlinkhardmust have connections at the ministry.Who decided to use that for our text?We won't be prepared for OWLs at all!"

"No idea." Harry said, "You lost me at McMillan's.So this isn't a good text?"

"No, it's about the worst that actually got published." Hermione groaned, "We'll have to buy it if the Professor assigned it, but luckily we haveplenty of others we can really use when this one falls short. Now I'm really worried about our preparation! The OWL year is essential!"

"Hermione, we've just finished the introductoryaurorcurriculum." Harry said, trying to calm his fiancée, "We're not going to have any trouble with our OWLs, at least in DADA."

"Well, maybe, but we'd better revise in detail to be ready." Hermione said,calmingherself.

Harry just shook his head.The more things changed, the more they stayed the same.

H/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/Hr

They ended up spending most of the afternoon in the bookstore, which really wasn't a surprise to anyone that knew Hermione.After they'd made their purchases, they walked to the Leaky Cauldron.As soon as Harry walked in, the whispering started.Harry was getting better at ignoring it.Most was still about him, about the boy-who-lived, but sometimes hurtful things were said about the boy-who-lied, the attention-seeker who made up stories about you-know-who.Hermione seethed, thinking that they needed to enact their counter-Prophet, counter-Fudge plan, but she knew it wasn't the right time.She and Luna had a plan.

"Hi, Tom!"Harry said.

"Hi, Harry! Want a table?" the bald barkeep asked.

"I could do with a table, Tom, maybe in back? We'll have about 8.And a couple of rooms?"

"Sure thing, Harry."Tom answered, tossing two brass keys, "Upstairs, you know where they are.Need any help with your luggage then?"

"No, we're fine.Thanks!"

They walked upstairs and settled the Grangers in one room, Harry and Hermione in the other, then walked back down to where Tom had set a private table in a back alcove for them.Remus and Siriusflooedin minutes later, speaking to Tom and being directed back to their table.

"Sirius, Remus, good to see you again!" Oberon said.

"Obie."Sirius said, "How have you been?"

"Well, well, thank you.Thank you for taking good care of my daughter thisSummer.She looks well.We were really disappointed we couldn't take you up on your holiday offer.We're hoping you'll invite us again in the future." Oberon said.

"Of course, of course."Sirius said, "In this world of lesser names, men such as Sirius and Oberon must stick together.We'll invite Remus and Hermione, too."

Hermione's mum winked at Harry. "Well, I guess Harry and I will have to keep each other company, because there's no place forJanesor Harrys in this plan of yours."

"Neville, I think Luna is destined to be with the fanciful name crew." Harry said, "What about you?I'm not sure which side Neville falls on.Ginny could go either way, depending on whether she chooses to call herself Ginny or reverts toGinevra."

"Well, then I had better wait and see which way she falls out, Harry." Neville said.

"Good plan." Luna offered, "She might be put out with you, otherwise."

They talked of nothing for hours, just enjoying the company.When dinner broke up, Neville, Luna, Sirius, and Remusflooedto their respective homes, while the others went upstairs to their rented rooms.Now that they'd connected the Grangers to thefloonetwork, they could have easily returned home, as well, but had chosen to stay in the Leaky Cauldron out of a whim.Hermione wanted to expose her parents to as much of thewizardingworld as she could and staying at the Leaky Cauldron was one good example.

Hermione hugged her parents in the hallway before they separated.The Grangers stood at their open door and watched as Hermione turned, grinned, blushed, and went into the room next door that she was sharing with Harry.

Her back to the door, she locked it and was pushed back against the door by Harry, who captured her mouth with his.She opened her mouth and slid her tongue inside, meeting him.He pushed her back against the door and she used the force to climb him, wrapping her legs around his body as she pushed her shoulder blades off the door.They ground themselves together as they kissed hard enough to bruise their lips.

"Mmmm…" Hermione said, pulling her mouth back slightly, enough to be understood, "You know what's great about being a witch?"

"Not wearing a bra?" Harry said, his mind still savoring that information he'd learned in Harrods, his hands taking advantage.

"Ok, that, too."Hermione groaned, "I like that… but I was thinking of silencing charms.I'd have to be upset that Tom put us in a room that shares a wall with my parents, except with silencing charms, they cankeep believingI'm their little angel."

She swished her wand and cast non-verbal silencing charms on every wall, the door, and the window, before casting a powerful locking spell on the door. Then she tossed her wand to the bedside table.

"Now where were we?Right…mmmmmmm….."

Harry remembered Hermione as almost always wearing jeans when she wasn't in her school uniform, but since they were dating, it seemed she was always in skirts.He loved her in skirts.He pushed his hands up her outer thighs, caressing, pushing her skirt higher and higher until he could reach her knickers.Only to find none.He could feel her smile against his mouth as she felt his surprise across their bond.

"Like that, huh?" Hermione asked.

"Merlin, yes!"Harry said, growing even more frantic in his kissing.

"Well, they say the brain is the largest sex organ." Hermione murmured, "I kept wondering if you'd notice."

Harry ground himself against her bare pussy, trying not to be too rough with fabric against delicate skin, but she didn't seem to mind, grinding back with no hesitation.He finally pulled away from the door, taking her with him, her legs still wrapped around his waist.He walked with her to the bed, before dropping her back to the still-made bed.He was happy to see the height was nearly perfect, waist high.

"You're wearing too many clothes." Hermione protested, pulling his shirt over his head.Harry loved the feeling of her hard nipples against his chest.The way she reacted to him was almost better than his own pleasure and he could spend hours just trying to drive her crazy, trying to make her nipples harder or her quim wetter.Being with Hermione was better thanQuidditch, better than flying, and it was a sport he planned to excel at for his entire life.He subtly started teasing her with almost unnoticed amounts of power pushed through their connection.Her skin flushed, whether from the physical touching, licking, and grinding or from the magic, who could say.It was their own unique foreplay and added another dimension that others lacked.He finished stripping his clothes off until he was completely nude.Hermione was still dressed, with her skirt pushed up and her shirt unbuttoned.Impatient, that's all they'd taken time for.

Sliding to his knees, he began to kiss her thighs, already smeared with her fluids.He nibbled and licked, trying to bring her to her first orgasm with magic and kisses around the target, but Hermione was too impatient, grabbing his hair with both hands and putting his face exactly where she wanted it.She could be submissive at times, but she could be the aggressor, too, and he loved both faces.He pushed her thighs back against her chest, feeling the bare skin above her thigh-high tights.Harry teased with his mouth and then took Hermione over the edge with magic, pushing and licking while she shuddered through her first climax of the night.

"Oh, Merlin, ohHarry!"Hermionecried out, bucking against him.

He continued until she finally pushed him away and turned around on the bed, letting her head rest over the edge.

"Ok, now it's your turn." Hermione said, smiling upside down at him.

Harry wasn't sure how this was going to work, but he could tell she wanted him to move closer, so he crept slowly forward, letting her show him what she wanted.When he was close enough, she grasped him and pulled him towards her mouth, running her tongue all around his crown.Closer still and she was able to get a hand behind him, grasping his ass and pulling him into her.Then, with both hands on his ass, she relaxed, her only movement with tongue and hands, pulling him closer and letting him pull away until he set his own rhythm.He could feel her sensations, feel how powerful an experience it was for her to surrender all the control to him and trust him not to push too hard.He could also tell she liked it when he pushed just short of too far and he kept himself on that fine line between too much and not enough, pushing her limits as she gasped for breath around him.It was one of the most erotic things he'd ever seen when she moved one of her hands between her legs and it became a blur as she stroked herself in time with his thrusts.He could feel the magic crescendo as they both approached climax together, his first and her… he didn't even know, hadn't counted.The way they could feel each other's pleasure, it pushed her to go further and further, his pleasure adding to hers.He felt the moment when she fell over the edge of her own orgasm and it was indistinguishable from the waves of pleasure crashing over him as he spilled himself down her throat.As soon as he pulled out of her mouth, his shaky knees slowly gave out and he sank down to a kneeling position, resting his head alongside hers at the edge of the bed.The only sound for several minutes was panting as they regained their breath.

"Oh, Harry." Hermione moaned, "I wouldn't have thought I could do that or that it would be that fun for me, but…oh, my."

Harry laughed, since she was almost incoherent, by Hermione standards.He couldn't think of anything at all to say, his mind blown by the experience.He kissed her salty skin at her neck, her ear, and then let her draw him into a salty upside down kiss.He finally found the energy to pullhimselfinto bed, pull the blanket over them, and fell asleep.

Hermione woke in the middle of the night, her bladder pushing her out of bed.The room was still dimly lit with gas lights, never turned off before they'd fallen asleep.She was still in her skirt, stockings, and shirt, although it was completely unbuttoned.She snuck out of bed to avoid waking Harry, finished undressing, used the loo which was luckily in the room, turned down the lights and crept back into bed.Tomorrow they had to ride the Express, but for now there was a warm bed and a warm body that she loved very much.

Next time she woke, she saw Harry, completely dressed, looking at her from a chair beside the bed.She blinked sleepily and curled into a tighter ball.

"Why are you out there?" Hermione asked, drowsy and not wanting to leave the bed.

"Because you slept in."Harry said, "It's strange to be the first one up.I tried not to wake you.I thought about bringing you breakfast in bed, but your parents are waiting, so I just brought you tea."

"Mmmm…. You're sweet." Hermione smiled and sat up, "Thank you, Harry."

"Thank you." He said back with a confident grin, his green eyes flashing.

Hermione dropped her head, as she felt a wave of heat roll over her.He didn't even realize how strong his aura was, but even if it weren't for his magic, those eyes and that look would have melted her.She'd been brave last night, caught up in the moment and her body's needs, but this morning she was a bit embarrassed about how aggressive she'd been and how far she'd gone in letting him use her for his pleasure.She'd loved it, but wasn't sure that was how Hermione Granger, strong, smart, future Head Girl, was supposed to act, even with her fiancée.

"None of that now."Harry said, the grin never leaving his face, "With me you can be whoever you want.Try out anything you want.Nobody will ever know."

She smiled back at him.He knew exactly what to say and exactly what she needed to here.He let her exploreherself,let her be more than the role she could easily let herself become locked into.He'd done it for her for four years now, ever since he'd prompted her to break her first rule and she knew he wouldn't stop unlocking the cage she sometimes built for herself.

"Ok, I'll take a quick shower and then we'll go downstairs." Hermione said, springing out of bed, "Are you packed?We should hurry or we'll be late!"

Harry just smiled again as she started to put on one of her Hogwarts faces.He loved all her aspects and couldn't wait to see her as prefect.

Downstairs, they met the Grangers, already nibbling on a traditional fry up breakfast.Jane was as thin as Hermione despite eating whatever she seemed to want to, which was a good sign in Harry's mind.

"Ah, Hermione!"Jane said, raising an eyebrow, "Up late, aren't you?Something tire you out?"

Hermione's eyes widened.Harry choked on his first sip of tea.

Obie looked at Jane and they both burst out laughing.

"Dearest daughter, if you're going to live as an adult, you'd better work on your blush reflex." Jane sniggered, "You seem to have slept well.I'm pleased, since I know how nervous you can get before the start of a new term."

"I slept perfectly, mum." Hermione said quietly, but looked up with a mischievous look in her face, her lips quirking up.She really did have a playful sense of humor underneath her façade, which few saw, but should have been obvious to anyone who knew herPatronus, "Did you and daddy sleep well?"

"Oh, yes." Jane said with a smile, "I don't know if it's the magical world, but soon after we went to bed, we felt like there was this energy just rolling through.It was very… energizing."

Harry choked again and he shared a look with Hermione.Maybe a silencing charm was not enough.

Talk turned to less embarrassing topics, as Oberon looked through a copy of the Prophet.

"What's this about Harry?" he asked, looking at the front page, "They've managed to call him a liar!It's a bit surprising to see him on the front cover, but then to read this drivel?"

"Actually, let's start at the beginning." Jane said, "You never got a chance yesterday to tell us about all the whispering. What's that all about?"

"Well, I've told you before that Harryisa bit famous?" Hermione asked, trying to establish what they'd already heard.She'd told them….but she'd told them far, far from the whole story, afraid they'd pull her from school if they knew about the Troll, the Basilisk, or any of the incarnations ofVoldemort.

"You'd mentioned it, but I always imagined you meant more in a local boy won a spelling bee way." Jane admitted.

"No, not exactly."Hermione ventured, "More like the Royal family famous?"

"Really?"Oberon asked, "What's he done?"

"It's not so much what I've done."Harry said, "Well, not really.There was this evil wizard, sort of the head of a terrorist organization.He killed my mum and dad, but was mysteriously defeated and I survived, the only survivor of the killing curse.For some reason, everyone decided I'd defeated this evil wizard and I became famous.Then I disappeared for almost ten years, which just made the legend larger.It's kind of its own thing now.I would rather nobody know who I am, but there you have it."

"Well, that's not exactly all!" Hermione insisted, "That's where it started, but then you add the youngest seeker in a century in a society whereQuidditchis the only sport then add in Tri-Wizard Champion, winner of the only tournament that could have postponedQuidditch, facing off against wizards years older.Well, of course you're famous!"

It was Harry's turn to blush, "And engaged to the brightest witch of her age. I'd say that's a bigger achievement than the others, really."

Hermione swatted him, but looked secretly pleased.

"So then if you're likewizardingroyalty, what's with the awful headlines?" Oberon asked, looking upset.

"The Minister for Magic didn't like that I saidVoldemort, the evil wizard I mentioned, had returned." Harry said carefully, "He has tried to say I was mistaken or lying and this is part of how he does that. He has the paper in his back pocket. It's no big deal.Something similar happened second year."

"Oh." Oberon said, "Are you in trouble with the Minister?"

"No, not really."Harry said, "Just unpopular for the moment."

The Grangers considered that for a few moments.

"Well, it's better to be truthful than to be well-liked, I suppose." Oberon said, "I respect that, although it doesn't surprise me if Hermione's picked you."

They changed the subject and talked about upcoming classes, the Prefect jobs, and other more benign topics.

"Well, we'd better be going." Hermione said officiously, "The train leaves at 11:00 sharp and we don't want to be late.Now that we're Prefects, we need to set a good example."

Harry nodded and finished his tea.They all began tidying up, wiping their faces with napkins, and generally beginning the process of leaving the Leaky Cauldron.King's Cross Station was only a few miles away, reachable via thePicadillyline in a few minutes.

At the station, Harry gave Jane a hug while Hermione held on to her father for dear life.As much as she always looked forward to the start of term, she also missed her parents, particularly given how little she saw them lately.Then they switched and Harry gave his future father-in-law a manly hug while Hermione clung to her mother.

"You're getting so big, Hermione." Jane whispered, "You'll be married before too long.You're not my little girl anymore."

"I'll always be your little girl, mum." Hermione smiled back, looking at her mother with love shining from her eyes.

"Take care of her, son." Obiesaid,his voice cracking.

"I will." Harry said, as if it were the most important duty of his life, which was indeed exactly how he felt.

Harry and Hermione walked towards Platform nine and three quarters, turning just short of the barrier to wave at the Grangers.Then they turned and walked briskly through the barrier.

On the other side, the Express sat, glistening red and black.Steam shrouded the engine, since with the magic train it didn't wait to fully stoke the engines until immediately before departure.Harry and Hermione were early, arriving well before the train was due to leave at 11 o'clock.They walked forward to the Prefect compartment, the first time they'd traveled there.Harry pulled their shrunken trunks out of his pocket at they went through the luggage car and enlarged them.He wondered briefly why theWeasleyshadn't carried their trunks in this fashion when he'd met them first year.Percy was certainly old enough to return them alltofull size if the twins couldn't.Harry dismissed the thought, understanding that sometimes theWeasleysjust didn't behave rationally, as Ron had so recently demonstrated.Thinking of Ron made him nervous, wondering how they were ever going to reconcile after a month and a half apart with their conflict stewing the entire time.

As they passed the various compartments, they looked inside, hoping to see early arrivals they knew.The first two they saw were Luna and Neville.They had apparently come together, because they'd claimed a compartment already.Harry opened the door and stepped inside.

"Nev, Luna, good to see you." Harry greeted his friends.

"Harry, it is good to see you again." Luna said, looking up from her Quibbler, held upside down.

Neville grinned at Luna and nodded to Harry and Hermione.

"Seen anyone else yet?" Hermione asked, wondering about theWeasleysbut hesitant to ask.

"No, I haven't seen Ronald yet. Luna said, dreamily, "You know how they are.They're lucky to even make the Express most years.I think they must be infested byChronomites.They nibble away at your time and next thing you know, you don't have any left."

"Sounds dangerous."Harry yawned, letting his head tilt back and thinking he might sleep for a few minutes until they had to move to the Prefect's compartment.

"We should change into our robes." Hermione said, "That way we'll be ready for the Prefect meeting and rounds."

Harry stood up and took his school robes from Hermione, where she'd had them stashed in her bottomless bag.He'd worn the parts of his school uniform that weren't obviouslywizardingin origin, which was honestly most of it.He might look like he's from some unknown school, but he wouldn't stick out as a wizard until he put on the robes.So changing was as easy as putting his robes on over the rest of the uniform.He pinned his Prefect pin to the robe and was ready.He watched Hermione straighten her robes and he briefly wondered whether she'd decided to wear knickers this morning.He'd forgotten to look when she was dressing and now he was curious.She obviously caught his train of thought, because she glanced at him and gave him that special grin she gave when she was thinking naughty thoughts.She quirked an eyebrow at him as if to ask, 'so, what did you decide?'.He just shrugged his shoulders back.Hermione had a silent laugh before finishing her adjusting and pinning her own badge to her robes.

Harry had managed to almost nod off, with Hermione tucked warmly into his side, reading a thick book, when he got the feeling something was wrong.The number of students walking through the corridor had been increasing steadily and he knew they'd leave soon.Several friends had looked into the compartment, but theWeasleysstill hadn't been seen.

Harry stood and walked out into the corridor, letting Hermione know through the bond that he'd had a chill, perhaps an intuition that something was wrong and he wanted to investigate.He checked that his wand was free in the wrist sheath with his backup in the opposite sheath and walked back towards the baggage car.Hermione would have come with him, but he'd waved her back to her book.Luna didn't look interested in coming with him, but she did seem interested in his leaving.

"See you soon, Harry." Luna had said as he left the car, "Take care."

He walked quietly, looking in compartments as he went.He saw many of his classmates and many students he knew from his four years previously at Hogwarts.He saw Cedric with Cho.Somehow the sight of his fellow champion made him happy, perhaps a reminder of their unlikely friendship forged through honorable competition and unfailing sportsmanship in the tournament and previously on theQuidditchpitch.He continued walking and heard familiar voices ahead.

"Ah, Weasel."Malfoysneered, "Did you perhaps come directly from the factory?I know your family can barely afford to lose your wages when you come to school, but surely you can leave your summer job early enough to arrive to the train on time?"

"Shut up,Malfoy!" Ron grumbled, irritated, but handling his temper better than he usually would.

Harry didn't see the twins and wondered where they were.Their absence left this confrontation two to three, as the two youngestWeasleysfacedMalfoy, Crabbe, andGoyle, all of whom had their wands drawn.

"Shut up?"Malfoysaid dangerously, "You shouldn't speak to me that way, blood traitor.You need to remember who is important and whois nobody.You fall in the latter category.Your sister, though, at least she's attractive.She might be amusing for a little…recreation."

Harry watched as he walked as quietly as he could.He caught Ginny's eye and she acknowledged him with a barely perceptible nod, not otherwise telegraphing his presence.Ron was focused on theSlytherins, not appearing to see Harry, who just watched, ready to help if needed.

"We know your opinions of status,Malfoy." Ron said tiredly, "Harry's not here to impress.Just move out of the way."

"You think I would try to impress Potter?"Malfoysputtered, "He's ahalfblood, below my attention, barely better than amudbloodlike his mother or like Granger."

Harry drew his wand and poked it into the curve where Draco's skull met his spine.

"What did you say,Malfoy?" Harry asked dangerously.

Draco started to turn, but Harry increased the pressure of his wand.

"No, no need to turn." Harry said, "I just want to clarify what you said about my mother and my fiancée.I think I may have heard you wrong, because I'm sure you wouldn't provoke a duel with the Potter head of house.The results could be…messy."

Draco paused, obviously realizing that Harry had learned more about Pureblood customs and knew he could call Draco out for the insult.He took a bit longer to think about whether he wanted to provoke a fight, but then decided that at least with Potter's wand pushed against the back of his head, he'd better follow the ideal that discretion was the better part of valor and depart.

"I think you must have misheard me." Draco said sullenly, "Crabbe,Goyle, come with me.The stench is becoming too thick here."

TheSlytherinsslunk away from the confrontation, happy to face theWeasleyswhen they had a numerical advantage, but reluctant to get into a fight where they were evenly matched in numbers and had the disadvantage of having Harry behind them.

Once they were gone, Harry focused on his friends.

"Ginny, good to see you."Harry said smiling, then, more cautiously, "Ron."

"Hi, Harry." Ginny replied with a smile.

"Harry." Ron said, nodding to him, "Thanks.I'm sure Ginny and I could have taken them, but it would have come to a fight.When you showed up, the chances of that went down a lot."

"Sure, no problem, Ron."Harry said, puzzled that Ron didn't seem nearly as mad as he'd expected.

"Ginny, do you think you can go ahead?Have Harry tell you where the others are." Ron said carefully, "I need to talk to Harry for a few minutes."

"Sure, Ron."Ginny said, cooperating quickly which was unusual for her.

Ron waited until she was out of ear shot, before he spoke.

"Harry, I'm sorry." Ronsaid,eyes downcast, "I know that's not enough, but I hope it'll do for a start.I don't know why I said what I did and I wish I could take it back."

"Do you really not know why, Ron?" Harry said, exasperatedly, "Because I'm starting to think it's the same reason we've fought every time we've fought lately."

Ron was silent for a few moments, before he answered, "You're right.I do know why.That's what I spent a lot of the past month figuring out.Why I'm so jealous all the time.It's just hard to grow up as the youngest brother in a family full of really powerful personalities.I'm tired of feeling like I won't live up to my brothers and I guess it came out eventually as I started thinking I'd never live up to you, either."

"It's not a competition, Ron!" Harry said, his voice beginning toraise.

"I know it's not." Ron said calmly, holding a hand out, palm down, as if to signal Harry to calm down, "I spent my time away from you in training, the training I told you about before?I went to study with Master Wu and he helped me understand.I've thought about it extensively.I even simulated thismeeting ,seeing all the ways it will play out.Do you know there is a few millionths of a percent chance we'll duel and you'll kill me over this conversation?Do you know there's not a single branch in which I'd win that duel?No, I understand very well.I've thought about this a lot and I found one way for things to work out as well as they could."

Harry just shook his head, not understanding what Ron was blathering about.His confusion only got worse when Ron sank to one knee in front of him, holding out his wand handle first in both hands.

"Lord Potter," Ron started, "I, RonaldBililusWeasley, youngest son of HouseWeasley, would swear an oath to you, to serve you as your liegeman, devoted even unto death to your cause of defeatingVoldemort."

"Ron?" Harry asked, but then realized they had talked about this in the Pureblood culture lessons Sirius had given.It was an obsolete oath of personal fealty from an individual to a head of house.Harry thought about it and used his talent for synthesizing information very quickly and intuitively to make quick decisions, grasping Ron's hand between his own,"Very well, RonaldBiliusWeasley.I, Harry James Potter, accept your oath and swear onMypart, for Myself and House Potter, that I will support you and treat you as if you were family, in all things.I so swear."

There was a flash of light and a golden ribbon of light wound around their linked hands, dissolving into the skin and marking the oath.

Harry helped Ron to his feet, "Now do you mind telling me what the hell that was about?"

"Sure, Mate, but it might be better to wait until we've got more time.It can sit." Ron said, seeming more relaxed, "So are we good?"

Harry considered it for a few moments."Yes, we're good.I'm still upset about what you said and am getting tired of going over this same territory, but we're still friends.Now, you'll have to work things out with Hermione separately and I don't even want to think about what kind of apology you owe Luna."

"Luna." Ron sighed, "I really stuck myfuckin' foot in my mouth on that one, didn't I?"

"Yes, you did." Harry said, "For whatever reason, I think Luna would forgive you, though.Just be sure you know what you want before you talk to her, because I doubt any girl would tolerate you acting like you're crazy about her, but then you're hung up on another girl, then you're crazy about her, then the other girl."

"I've already thought about it." Ron said, "Besides our friendship and my role in the Trio, that was the biggest thing for me to think about.I don't know why I said what I did.I've known you were with Hermione and that was never going to change for a year now.I had only just started thinking I might like her before you ended up together…in other words, there was nothing there, while with Luna wehave ,or had, something really genuine.I think I was just so confused I would have said anything."

"Well, you'll have to explain that to her." Harry said, "I don't envy you, Mate."

"Thanks." Ron said sourly.

Together they walked back to the compartment Luna and Neville had claimed.Harry walked in first and then Ron.Luna looked up from her Quibbler and then leaped up.She ran to Ron and just stood in front of him, staring up at him.She looked for several minutes, staring into his eyes, before her lip started to quiver and, surprising everyone she slapped him.

"Don't ever do that again!"Luna cried and then jumped on him, kissing him.

Ron was completely shocked, at first not seeming to know what to do, but then relaxing into the kiss.

"Hmmmm…" Hermione said, "Harry and I need to go to the Prefect meeting."

"Oh, well Neville and I were about to take a walk, right Neville." Ginny said, standing and taking Neville's hand.

"We were?" Neville said, blinking owlishly, "Ooof…that's right, we were."

They all left the compartment, stopping once they were several doors down.

"Well, that's not how I expected her to react." Hermione said.

"When has Luna ever reacted how we expected?" Harry asked.

"Good point." Hermione said, "Well, we really do need to go the Prefect meeting.Maybe you two should give them a fifteen minutes or a half hour.I wouldn't give them too much longer than that, we don't want them getting in trouble."

"Yes, Hermione."Ginny said, rolling her eyes.

Hermione ignored the cheek and she walked with Harry to the Prefect car.They walked in to find Cedric as Head Boy and someRavenclawthat neither of them knew as Head Girl.Ernie MacMillan and Hannah Abbot were already there, obviously chosen as theHufflepuffprefects.PadmaPatilwas sitting next to an empty chair.Hermione wondered who theRavenclawfifth year Prefect would be.She knew most of theRavenclaws, since they often shared her chosen space, the library. Plus, it never hurt to know your competition.

Just then, Anthony Goldstein walked in, answering her question.Horrifyingly, behind him were DracoMalfoyand Pansy Parkinson.Hermione kicked herself for not asking ProfessorSnapewho had been chosen fromSlytherin.He likely would have told her as long as they were on the Island and away from witnesses.

Cedric led them through the expectations of the Prefects, following the guides they'd received fairly closely.She took notes, but didn't need to take many since he was sticking close to the guide.Harry listened absentmindedly, knowing Hermione would pay attention.Hermione carefully noted the initial password to the Prefects bath, a room she was happy they'd be able to use again.She remembered deciphering the riddle of the egg there the previous year and how it had advanced their relationship.Now that they were more comfortable around each other it would be even more fun.She shook her head, trying to clear it.She wasn't sure if it was hormones or having Harry in her head, but she had sex on her mind all the time.Luckily, her mind was completely willing to run several trains of thought at once without feeling strained, so it didn't seem to get in the way of anything.

After the Prefect meeting, they returned to the compartment with their friends.As they walked in, they could tell Luna and Ron had worked out their feelings, because Luna was sitting on Ron's lap and Ron, while bright red, didn't look too injured.Meanwhile, Luna had a dotty smile on her face, which with her was a very good sign.

"How did the Prefect meeting go?" Ron asked.

"Well." Harry said, shortly.

Hermione gave him a look, knowing if it were up to him, that's all he would say.

"Well, Cedric isHeadboy.I don't think any of you know the Head Girl…well, Luna, you would, she's aRavenclaw.The new Prefects are Ernie and Hannah fromHufflepuff, Anthony and Padma fromRavenclaw, and…Draco and Pansy fromSlytherin."

"Draco is a Prefect?!" Ron said, starting to stand in his anger and almost dumping Luna off his lap.Luckily she was small and clung to his neck, avoiding that fate.

They continued talking throughout the trip, except for when Harry and Hermione took their turns patrolling the Express.Hermione pulled Luna aside, whether to further their planning for their secret Prophet counter-strike or to discuss Luna, Harry wasn't sure.He could probably find out through the bond, but he didn't believe in eavesdropping.Neville showed them a plant his uncle had brought from a trip overseas for his birthday.Although he hadn't been home to get it on the actual day of his birthday, he was pretty excited about it.He caught himself before he showed them the plant's defensive capabilities.

"Here, let me show you…no, wait, I read that it can shoot a foul smelling fluid, stink-sap, if poked, but I've never tried it, so maybe I should experiment when we're not all stuck in a confined space."

"Good idea, Neville!" Ginny giggled, "You wouldn't be getting any kisses if you smelled like something called 'stink-sap'!"

Neville blushed and Ron gave him a mildly dirty look, but quickly erased it when Luna elbowed him in the ribs.She'd kept Ron in check in regards to Ginny's relationship and he was obviously very intent on staying in her good graces after his recent behavior.

Harry and Neville bought enough food off the cart for everyone.Ron and Harry played chess forawhile, before Harry went back to reviewing one of the better defense texts they'd picked up at Flourish andBlott's.He was trying to get tips onwandlessmagic, his next focus.He'd already made some headway on his absolute best spells, but his consistency was poor.He'd drilledaccioobsessively, practicing to retrieve his wand, so he'd never be without a wand, and he could do that regularly.He could sometimes raise a shield, sometimes do the disarming spell, but otherwise hadn't been able to make much else work.

Hermione was reviewing a book on curses.She'd been researching obsessively, just as Harry had predicted,everysince Luna had mentioned the aura-darkness around Harry's scar was more than routine for a curse scar.She was making notes as she went, writing furiously.

Luna had finished the Quibbler and was reading a book on runes.Harry recognized the book as an advanced text that Hermione had liked.Sometimes it disturbed him how much Luna and Hermione were alike.It made sense that Ron would like Luna, since she was so much like Hermione, but lacked the uptight nature that Hermione was overcoming.Ron never really argued with Luna like he did with Hermione.She even laughed at his jokes, which Harry thought was above and beyond the call of duty.

The Express pulled into the station.Harry and Hermione entrusted their luggage to the others after shrinking it down.Hedwig was able to fly to the castle and the cage was easily shrunken so as not to be a bother.The two Prefects then assisted the other students, especially the first years, reach the boats.One of the new first years, Rose Zeller as Harry discovered later, almost fell into the water while trying to board.Harry, without thinking, cast awandless"acciofirst year" and saved her.Luckily, his quick reflexes were enough to terminate the spell before she landed on him and he caught her up in a hug from behind, before getting her steadied.

"Watch it, there.Careful, into the boats."He said, continuing to help the littlest students.Rose blushed, especially when she saw Harry's scar and realized who'd saved her, but the fact that Harry didn't make a big deal of it made it easy for her to ignore.

"I think you've found a friend." Hermione whispered teasingly.

"Oh, hush." Harry said, smiling despite himself.

"I think it was sweet." Hermione added, giving Harry one of her new flirtatious looks, "You know how I get when you show what a powerful wizard you are."

"Good." Harry said, looking around briefly before swatting her rear.

"Eeep!"Hermione squealed before catching herself.

"Ok, there, Miss Granger?" ProfessorGrubbly-Plank asked.

"Oh, yes, Professor.Just fine.I think I stepped on something." Hermione said, shooting a dirty look at Harry, but being unable to completely hide her grin.

They both had wondered whereHagridwas, but had left the question for later.They'd probably learn soon enough, if not during the sorting, then from Dumbledore whenever they saw him.Harry could always count on an early meeting sometime.

After getting all the first year's settled, they hurried to the carriages.Harry brushed by the first few horseless carriages, glancing inside for his friends.Luckily Ron stood out from the crowd with his new found height and they soon were safely in a carriage with their friends.

"Whew, the first years are getting younger and smaller." Harry commented.

"One was almost getting a lot wetter." Hermione teased.

"Well, I did my good Prefect deed of the day." Harry said, "Too bad I couldn't have been there for DennisCreevey."

The Prefects again hopped off the carriage as soon as possible and helped get everyone moving into the castle in an orderly fashion.Ron gently squeezed Luna's hand before walking away from her as he went to the Gryffindor table and she went to theRavenclawtable.

"So everything worked out, Mate?" Harry asked quietly when they were seated.Hermione leaned in to hear.

"Yeah."Ron said, looking down uncomfortably, "I told her I wasn't sure why I said that, it wasn't how I really feel, but I was just so mad and jealous, I didn't really know what I was saying.She said you both had said something similar.So, thanks, I guess."

"Ron, you can be so frustrating sometimes." Hermione said, "But never forget we love you anyway."

"I knew you were mental." Ron said with a smile.

"Oh, I don't disagree in this case." Hermione said in a prissy voice, before giggling.

Harry noticedLavendarandParvatihad stopped talking abruptly when he'd passed by and they'd greeted him.He got the distinct impression they were talking about him.As he thought about it, he noticed signs that many other students were stealing glances and talking about him.He was either becoming as paranoid as Moody or, more likely, the Prophet stories were having an effect.He started to get very angry, but Hermione felt it and squeezed his leg, sending a suggestion to tighten his shields.He did and felt the emotional cool slide down over the rising rage.He happened to catchSnape'seye at the staff table and got a very brief nod that he doubted anyone else would have noticed.

"Hey,Hagridisn't there, either." Harry said.

"No, he's not." Hermione agreed, then adding more sharply with a jerk of her chin to the center of the table, "Who is that?"

'That' was a squat witch with a pink cardigan, pink headband controlling her short curly brown hair, andtoadlikeface.

"No idea." Harry said, shrugging, "I don't think I've ever seen her before."

"Oh, no."Hermione groaned, her mind making connections faster than anyone else.

Harry caught part of that thought and agreed it made sense.

"DADA?" he whispered.

Her short nod confirmed that was exactly what she was thinking.

"Her?" Ron asked, incredulous, "She doesn't look like she could beat afirstiein a duel."

"Well, Ron, normally I would tell you not to judge a book by the cover." Hermione said, starting off in her lecture tone, "However, in this case, her choice of text, her abominable choice of clothing, and her rather unimpressive aura all suggest you're exactly right."

"Well, let's hope for the best." Harry said, sounding pessimistic.

The sorting hat gave its traditional speech, although it came out sounding more like a warning and a call for unity than normal.The first years were sorted, ending with Rose Zeller looking disappointed as she found out she was sorted into a different house than Harry, who she kept surreptitiously glancing at.They ate and then, as students finished eating and the noise level increased, the Headmaster stood.

"Well, now that we are all digesting another magnificent feast,,I beg a few moments of attention."

He gave quick announcements regarding prohibited activities, items, and areas,thencontinued.

"We also have two changes in staffing this year.We are very pleased to welcome back ProfessorGrubbly-Plank, who will be taking Care of Magical Creatures lessons; we are also delighted to introduce ProfessorUmbridge, our newest Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher."

There was a round of lukewarm applause.

"Tryouts for the HouseQuidditchteams will take place on the…" Dumbledore continued, stopping abruptly.He looked at ProfessorUmbridge, surprised.Since she wasn't much taller standing than she had been sitting, the students were also momentarily surprised.

"Hem, hem."Umbridgerepeated, making it clear she intended to give a speech.

The Headmaster looked taken aback for a moment, before sitting back smartly and looking alertly at ProfessorUmbridgeas if he wanted nothing more than to listen to her speech.The other professors were not so facile at hiding their emotions and were clearly shocked at the new professor's rudeness.You just didn't interrupt the Headmaster, one of the most powerful wizards since Merlin!IfSnape'slooks could kill,Umbridgewould have been cold and dead, but then again, so would Harry.

"Thank you, Headmaster," ProfessorUmbridgesimpered, "for those kind words of welcome."

Her voice was high pitched, breathy, and little girlish.Harry felt a wave of dislike and either heard or sensed through the bond Hermione's whispered, "Regression as a coping mechanism, interesting…"

Meanwhile,Umbridgecontinued, "Well, it is lovely to be back at Hogwarts, I must say! And to see such happy little faces smiling back at me."

Harry did not notice many happy nor smiling faces; on the contrary, they all looked rather taken aback at being addressed as though they were five years old.

"I am very much looking forward to getting to know you all and I'm sure we'll be very good friends!"

The toad-faced woman went on to make a rambling and almost-nonsensical speech about education and the Ministry's role that Hermione interpreted to mean the Ministry was taking an active hand in guiding Hogwarts this year.

When Dumbledore dismissed them afterwards, Harry and Hermione stood up smartly.

"First years."Harry barked, channeling Moody, "This way!"

Hermione laid a gentle hand on his shoulder and spoke quietly, "Harry, you'll scare them."

"This way."Harry said, a touch gentler, "We'll show you to the Gryffindor common room and get you settled in your new rooms.Come along."

He and Hermione led them up the moving staircases, keeping them from getting lost in the confusing castle.At the Fat Lady, Hermione spoke the password, "Mimbulusmimbletonia" and the portrait swung outward.Harry briefly wondered how the password had been set as the name of a plant Neville had just brought to the school, a plant that was supposedly very rare, but he pushed the random thought from his mind.He guided the first year boys to their rooms while Hermione guided the girls.Then he went to his room to change into pajamas, before planning to meet Hermione in the common room for some bonding time.

Dean and Seamus had reached the room first, not having to gather up the first years and they were putting up posters.

"Hey, Harry." Dean said, "Good holiday?"

"It was." Harry answered, thinking about it, "Probably one of the best I've had."

"Looks like you got some sun." Dean laughed, "Hermione, too.Did you spend it together?"

"Yep, we sure did." Harry said, "Ron, Neville, and Ginny were there most of the time, too.What about you?"

"Yeah, it was ok." Dean said, "At least better than Seamus', he was just telling me."

"Why?What happened, Seamus?" Neville asked, placing hisMimbuluscarefully on his bedside table.

Seamus hesitated in answering, pretending to spend the time straightening one of his posters.Finally, his back still to Harry, he said, "Me mam didn't want me to come back."

"What?" Harry asked, pausing his changing.

"She didn't want me to come back to Hogwarts." Seamus repeated.

"But…why?" Harry asked, astonished.He knew Seamus' mom was a witch and Hogwarts was the premier school of wizardry in the world.

Seamus again hesitated while he buttoned his pajamas, finally saying, "Well, I suppose… because of you."

"Whatd'youmean?" Harry asked quickly, confused.

"Well, it's not just you." Seamus said, avoiding eye contact, "It's Dumbledore, too."

"She believes the Daily Prophet?" Harry said, avoiding the rest of what he wanted to say, which wouldn't have come out nicely.He was carefully controlling himself, but when Neville looked up at him he knew magic must be rolling off him in waves.

"Yeah, somethinglikethat." Seamus said, "What did happen that night?"

Harry thought about it for a moment, deciding how much to tell.Normally, he would have blown Seamus off.If the boy wanted to think he was an attention-seekingprat, that was his prerogative, but Seamus had been his roommate for four years already and that merited a little bit of tolerance.He knew being his friend took a bit of work, as Ron liked to prove from time to time.

"Well, during the last task of the tournament, the cup was aportkey.It took me into a trap thatVoldemorthad set."

Three boys jumped slightly at the name, Neville less than the others.

"One ofVoldemort'sservants stole my blood and used it in a ritual to rebuildVoldemort'sbody that had been destroyed on the night he killed my parents.Hermione came after me and together we managed to escape."

Harry felt like he'd done a good job of reducing the chaos of that night into the shortest possible description without sounding like an attention seeker.

Seamus looked thoughtful.Harry could tell Dean had been listening closely, too.While they were still silent, Ron walked in, likely from a short snogging session with Luna.

"What's up here?" Ron asked curiously, "It's too quiet."

"Harry just told these two what happened the nightVoldemortcame back." Neville answered quietly.

"Oh." Ron said, going over to his bed and beginning to change.His nonchalant attitude seemed to interest Seamus.

"Then you believe him?" Seamus asked Ron, who'd always been closer to Seamus than Harry was.

Ron looked puzzled."Of course I do, are younuttters?If Harry said that's what happened, then that's what happened.Harry might have a bit of a temper, but he's as honest as the day is long.He'd never lie to a friend.You're not calling him a liar, are you?" Ron continued, starting to show some of his own temper, "Because anyone who calls my best mate a liar is going to have to deal with me."

"No, not saying he's a liar." Seamus said, carefully, not wanting to fight Ron, but not wanting to back down and look like a coward, either, "Just trying to figure out what happened, because the Prophet's really saying some bad things about Harry and about Dumbledore. They say the Headmaster has been sacked from theWizengamotand the International Confederation of Wizards, because he's losing his marbles."

" Mygran says that's rubbish." Piped up Neville, "She says it's the Daily Prophet that's going downhill, not Dumbledore.She's cancelled our subscription.TheLongbottomsbelieve Harry.My gran's always saidVoldemortwould come back one day. She says if Dumbledore says he's back, he's back."

With both Ron and Neville loyally supporting Harry, Seamus seemed to decide it wasn't worth further discussion andlaiddown.Harry felt a rush of warmth towards his friends.Ron seemed to be taking his earlier oath seriously, which went a long way towards repairing their friendship.He finished changing into his pajamas and went downstairs.

"Rough talk?"Hermione said, stroking his hair, having felt the tension that developed through their bond.

"Not so bad." Harry said, "Apparently Seamus' mum was pretty convinced by the garbage in the Daily Prophet.Ron and Neville stuck by me, though.With my friends on my side, I think I can get through this."

"Your friends by your side and your shields up, you mean?" Hermione asked gently, "You don't have to lie to me, Harry.I know you'll get through this, but I know people doubting you really hurt your feelings.I remember second year, too, even though I wasn't awake for the whole thing."

Harry nodded. "You're right, but getting angry doesn't help any.I…I feel like with the extra training, I've got to be especially careful.The fight with Ron keeps flashing back and I realize if I reacted that way to Ron, what would I do to someone who's not as important to me?I could kill someone without even thinking."

"With great power comes great responsibility." Hermione nodded.

"Who said that?" Harry asked, "Ghandi?"

"No, Spiderman." Hermione giggled, "Do you think I only read big books?"

They settled in a big chair that was becoming 'their' chair, Hermione on Harry's lap.They were careful with how far they went in the common room, but there were so few places in Hogwarts to be intimate and while not overtly sexual, their bonding practices were definitely intimate.They practiced looking at each other's memories.Harry tried to look back through Hermione's memories for her experiences reading comic books, trying to understand the facets of her personality that didn't fit the preconceptions he'd built up during the years of their friendship.He wanted to really understand the playful part of her that so few got to see.Meanwhile, Hermione looked at his experiences as a child, trying to understand them better so she could help him heal.

They fell asleep after dumping every bit of magic they had into the Hogwarts wards.The wards seemed to recognize them more each time and seemed almost happy they were back.

H/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/Hr

The next morning, the 'Islanders' as Harry liked to think of them woke early enough to run around the lake.Apparently, Ron must have continued his physical training wherever he had gone, because he was able to keep up with those who'd stayed on the island without much more lagging than they'd noticed before.After they'd showered and dressed for the day, when they were leaving for breakfast, Hermione noticed a poster theWeasleytwins had pinned on the notice board in the common room. "Gallons of Galleons" it said, offering to pay for volunteers to test their products.

"Harry, we'll have to talk to them!" Hermione said.

"Ok, what do you think we shouldsay." Harry asked.

"Well…" Hermione said, thinking about it.At one time she would have insisted they stop, but she knew they were good-hearted and wouldn't actually hurt anyone, "Maybe we can just make sure they tell the students what they're testing and what the dangers are.No testing on first years, maybe not on second years.And if anything goes wrong, they need to promise to get to MadamePomfreyin a hurry."

"That's fair." Harry said, "Do you want me to talk to them?"

"Would you?It might come off better from you than me." Hermione sighed.

"Sure, no problem."Harry said, "Ready to go to breakfast?"

Hermione smiled and held his hand as they walked, happy with how their partnership as Prefects was beginning.

When they walked into the Great Hall, a tall black girl with long, braided hair walked up to them.

"Hi, Angelina."Harry said.

"Hi, Harry." She said briskly, "Good summer?" Then without waiting for a response, "Listen, I've made GryffindorQuidditchCaptain."

"Brilliant!" Harry said, smiling.Oliver Wood had been mental, so having Angelina might be a nice change of pace.

"Yeah, well we need a new Keeper now that Oliver's left.Tryouts are Friday at five o'clock and I want the whole team there, all right? Then we can see how the new person will fit in."

"Ok." Harry said agreeably.Angelina smiled at him and left.

Harry made a mental note to check his planner Hermione had bought for him.His schedule would be very packed this year with the standard curriculum on top of their specialized classes as apprentices.Luckily, Professor Dumbledore was very supportive of hisQuidditchplaying and had carved out practice time.

Professor McGonagall moved down the tables, passing out schedules.

"Look at today!" Ron groaned, "History of Magic, double Potions, Divination, and double Defense against the Dark Arts!"

"Well, I'm doing History of Magic as independent study." Harry said, "With my schedule getting tighter, I realized I never learned anything fromBinns, so I'd rather just have free time to read the book and I have runes with Hermione instead of divination.I'm not looking forward to DADA with that toad woman."

"Shhh…." Hermione said, "Don't let her hear you.I have a feeling she's probably touchy about that, having definitely heard it before.I'm not looking forward to it, either.Her choice of books has already shown a weak knowledge of the subject."

While Ron went to History of Magic, Harry and Hermione went to the library.Harry quickly read the chapter, while Hermione re-read it.They quickly outlined the material and traded, filling in where they felt the other had been more complete.This generally meant Harry added the material Hermione had caught and he'd missed, but he was much better than he'd been.

Then, since this didn't take as long as learning it from a droning ghost, they quickly put their schedules into their study planners, mapping out time for studying, for homework, forQuidditch, for reading, for together time.It was difficult to schedule everything they would be doing, because with the individual lessons with McGonagall for Hermione and Dumbledore for Harry, along withocculomencywithSnapeand dueling withFlitwick, it was going to be a very, very busy year.

They gathered with the rest of Gryffindor in the dungeon hall outside Potions.The door creaked open ominously and they took their accustomed table in the back.Snapeswept in, his robes billowing dramatically, and called for attention, unnecessarily since the class was absolutely silent.

"Before we begin, let me remind you that this year will end with an important test, the OrdinaryWizardingLevel, or OWLs.I expect each of you to achieve at least acceptable in potions."Snapesaid, looking directly at Neville for the last, "Now this will be the last year of potions for most of you.I only take the very best into my NEWT levelclasses,whichmeans I will be saying goodbye to certain of you." He said this looking directly at Harry. "Today, we'll be brewing the draught of peace.The directions are on the board.Begin."

Harry and Hermione were working almost as if synchronized, cutting together, adding ingredients together, and stirring together.Ron blundered along like he always did.Neville would never be a genius at potions, but the summer training had helped him see ProfessorSnapein a slightly better light and had also helped him build a new confidence.He was already strong atherbology, which was actually closely related to potions, so he had some of the basic knowledge and skills he needed.

At the end of class, both Harry and Hermione's potion had the appropriate light silver vapor over their cauldron.Ron's was spitting green sparks.Neville's vapor was more of a dark grey, but was apparently close enough to make it into a vial for grading.AsSnapewalked around the room evaluating, he looked at Harry's potion and sneered, "Cheating off the know-it-all, are you, Potter?"

"No, sir."Harry said blandly asSnapesimply stalked off.

They went to lunch and then Harry and Hermione went to Ancient Runes while Ron went to Divination.Harry was happy to get away from the incense filled room, which was almost as sleep-inducing as History of Magic had been.However, Ancient Runes was a serious course, very intense for an elective.Luckily, Harry had Hermione, who was a prodigy.He had easily caught up with the class under her tutelage and with the benefits of the bond, remained near the top of the class, likely just under Hermione.That thought made him chuckle, since right under Hermione was often a very nice place to be.Her work with wards had shown him some excellent practical applications for runes and he was beginning to think he might like to pursue his own work in enchantment.He thought working with his hands and making items might be calming.

They entered the Defense class room only to find ProfessorUmbridgealready at her desk, in her trademark pink cardigan with a black bow atop her head that looked like nothing more than a giant fly, sitting atop a giant toad.

"Well, good afternoon!" she said cheerily when the whole class had sat down.

A few mumbled goodafternoonin return, which was clearly unacceptable toUmbridge.

"Tut, tut," she said, "That won't do, will it?I should like you to reply, 'Good afternoon, ProfessorUmbridge'.One more time, please.Good afternoon, class!"

"Good afternoon, ProfessorUmbridge." They chanted back at her.

"There, now, that wasn't so bad, was it?" she said sweetly, "Now, wands away and quills out, please."

There were quiet looks of despair, as that command had neverproceededan interesting lecture.

ProfessorUmbridgetapped her wand on the chalkboard and the words, "Defense against the dark arts: a return to basic principles" appeared.

"Well now, your teaching has been inconsistent, hasn't it?" she said, "Rather disrupted and fragmented, hardly following the approved ministry curriculum.This has unfortunately resulted in your being far below the expected standard we would expect to see in your OWL year."

Harry wondered how she knew that, since she hadn't even asked them what they knew yet or had them demonstrate a single spell.Based on Moody's assessment, he would bet he was far in advance of what was expected of an OWL student.

ProfessorUmbridgelisted the course aims,thenset them to reading the first chapter to themselves after again insisting they answer her in unison.Harry began to re-read the chapter, which of course Hermione had already read and insisted he read, despite the terribly written boring text.He was shocked when he sensed her agitation and looked over to see her hand raised with the book still closed on her desk.She kept her hand raised while the Professor ignored her untilfinally,the class was so distracted thatUmbridgefelt she had to respond.

"Did you want to ask something about the chapter, dear?" the toad-faced woman asked.

"Not about the chapter, no."Hermione said firmly.

"Well we're reading just now." SaidUmbridge, "If you have other queries we can deal with them at the end of class."

"I've got a query about your course aims." Hermione said.

ProfessorUmbridgeraised her eyebrows, "And your name is…?"

"Hermione Granger."

"Well, Miss Granger, I think the course aims are perfectly clear if you read them through carefully."Umbridgesaid.

"Well, I don't." Hermione said bluntly, "There's nothing there about using defensive spells."

The class turned again and read the aims, realizing Hermione was right.

"Using defensive spells?" ProfessorUmbridgerepeated with a little laugh, "Why, I can't imagine any situation arising in my classroom that would require you to use a defensive spell, Miss Granger. You surely aren't expecting to be attacked during class?"

"We're not going to use magic?!" Ron exclaimed.

"Students raise their hands when they wish to speak in my class, Mr. --?"

"Weasley."Ron said, thrusting his hand in the air.

Harry and Hermione both raised their hands.Umbridgelet her eyes linger on Harry for a moment before addressing Hermione.

"Yes, Miss Granger, you wanted to ask something else?"

"Yes," Hermione asked, "Surely the whole point of Defense Against Dark Arts is to practice defensive spells?"

"Are you a Ministry-trained educational expert, Miss Granger?"

"No, but…"

"Well, then, I'm afraid you're not qualified to decide what the point of any class is. Wizards much older and cleverer than you have devised our new program of study.You will be learning about defensive spells in a secure, risk-free way.."

"What use is that?" Harry said loudly, "If we'regointto be attacked, it won't be in a…."

"Hand, Mr. Potter!" sangUmbridge.

Harry thrust his hand in the air, butUmbridgeturned away from him. Several others quickly raised their hands.

"And your name is?"Umbridgesaid to Dean.

"Dean Thomas."

"Well, Mr. Thomas?"

"Well, it's like Harry said, isn't it?" Dean said, "If we're going to be attacked, it won't be risk-free."

Umbridgecontinued to insist there was no reason for practical instruction in Defense.She pointed out that their last professor had used illegal curses in front of the.More and more students raised hands.

"And your name is?"Umbridgesaid sweetly.

"ParvatiPatil, and isn't there a practical bit in our DefenseAgainstthe Dark Arts OWL? Aren't we supposed to show that we can actually perform thecountercursesand things?"

"As long as you have studied the theory hard enough, there is no reason you shouldn't be able to perform the spells under carefully controlled examination conditions."Umbridgesaid dismissively.

"Without ever practicing them before?"Parvatisaid incredulously, "Are you telling us that the first time we'll get to do the spells will be during our exam?"

"I repeat, as long as you have studied the theory hard enough…"Umbridgeintoned.

"And what good's theory going to be in the real world?" Harry said loudly, handraised.

"This is school, Mr. Potter, not the real world."Umbridgesaid softly.

"So we're not supposed to be prepared for what's waiting out there?"

"There is nothing waiting out there, Mr. Potter."

"Oh, yeah?"Harry said, his temper bubbling to the surface despite hisocculomency, emerging as a cool rage.

"Who do you imagine wants to attack children like yourselves?" inquiredUmbridgein a horribly honeyed voice.

"Hmmm, let's think…" Harry said mockingly, "maybe LordVoldemort?"

There were gasps from around the room.ProfessorUmbridgedid not flinch, however.She stared at Harry with a grimly satisfied expression on her face.

"Ten points from Gryffindor, Mr. Potter."

The classroom was silent and still.Everyone was staring at eitherUmbridgeor Harry.Umbridgehad the authority of being a professor and a ministry employee behind her, but Harry's magic rolled off him like lightning from astormcloud.Nobody could remember feeling magic like that, before.

Umbridgeeither didn't notice or ignored it.

"Now let me make a few things plain. You have been told a certain Dark wizard has returned from the dead…"

"He wasn't dead, but yeah, he's returned!" Harry exclaimed.

"Mr. Potter, you have already lost your house ten points, do not make matters worse for yourself." SaidUmbridgein a single breath, "As I was saying, you have been informed that a certain Dark wizard is at large once again. This is a lie!"

"It is NOT a lie!" Harry said loudly, in the depths of a cold rage, "I saw him, I fought him!"

"Detention Mr. Potter!"Umbridgesaid triumphantly, "Tomorrow Evening, Five o'clock.My office.I repeat, this is a lie!The ministry of magic guarantees you are not in danger from any Dark wizard. If you are still worried, by all means come and see me outside class hours. If someone is alarming you with lies aboutrebornDark wizards, I would like to hear about it. I am here to help. I am your friend. And now, you will kindly continue your reading.Page five, 'Basics for Beginners'."

"So you say it's a lie?" Harry asked, "Then what gave me this scar, just a lie?" Harry said, pushing his robes up and revealing the scar from whereWormtailsliced his arm to take his blood, "He almost killed me and would have if Hermione hadn't come and helped me.Both of us saw him, we're not liars!"

Umbridgejust stared quietly.Harry thought she might start screaming at him, but she reigned in her temper and called him to her desk.

"Take this to Professor McGonagall." She said shortly.

Harry left the classroom with the note.As he walked, he considered scenarios.He could call her out according to Pureblood law, since she had called him a liar.He knew he could beat her in a duel and likely even kill her legally.Hermione wouldn't want him to do that, though, and neither would Dumbledore.He decided to table hisdecisionmakinguntil he'd talked to them and probably Ron, too.Ron might be able to craft the beststratgegyto address this problem, if he thought about it.

At McGonagall's office he rapped on the door, ignoring Peeves' taunts that he was going mad.He knew he wasn't going mad, so it wasn't hard to ignore.

"Come in."

Harry opened the door and stepped inside.

"I've been sent to see you." He said to the Gryffindor head.

"Sent, what do you mean, sent?" McGonagall asked.

Harry explained the situation and the Deputy Headmistress read the note.

"Is this true, did you yell atUmbridge?Did you call her a liar?"

"Yes, I did." Harry said.

"You told her You-Know-Who is back?" McGonagall asked.

"I told herVoldemorthad returned, yes." Harry answered.

"Have a biscuit, Mr. Potter."

Harry ate one of the cookies.Finally, Professor McGonagall said,

"You must be careful, Mr. Potter.Misbehavior in DoloresUmbridge'sclass could cost you more than House Points and detentions.Use your common sense!You know where she comes from and who she works for.

"It says here she has given you detention every evening this week, starting tomorrow."

"Every evening this week?"Harry repeated, horrified, "But professor, couldn't you…?"

"No, I couldn't." McGonagall said flatly.

"But I was telling the truth!"

"This isn't about truth or lies, Mr.Potter,it's about keeping your head down and your temper under control!Have a biscuit."

"No, thanks."Harry said coldly.

"Don't be ridiculous." She snapped.

"Ridiculous?" Harry said, his voice like ice, "Keeping my temper under control?" his rage was immense and the stone walls seemed to flex outward under the force of his magic, "I considered killing her there and then.I could challenge her to a duel under the Pureblood law since she called me a liar.Do you think she would survive?This is controlled, Professor McGonagall."

He turned on his heel and began to leave.At the door, he turned back. McGonagall was silent, her mouth opened in shock.

"I'll remember not to seek assistance from the head of my house in the future.Good day."

He walked away realizing he would not receive support from that quarter.

H/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/Hr

That night, Harry met with the Headmaster for his first lesson as an apprentice.He went to the Gargoyle, opened without a password, expecting him.

"Harry, my boy!"Dumbledore said, "Welcome back!"

"Thank you, Headmaster."

"Please, call meAlbuswhen we are alone or with Miss Granger.You are my apprenticenow,I take this relationship very seriously.The chain of apprentices is like a family.I learned from NicholasFlamelland now I train you.You will be able to trace your mastery back in an unbroken lineage to Merlin himself!"

Harry was stunned.From absolutely no support being offered by Professor McGonagall, now Professor Dumbledore was calling him family.

"What is it, Harry?"Albusasked.

Harry told him the whole story about the confrontation with ProfessorUmbridgeand the subsequent meeting with Professor McGonagall.

Albusnodded and laced his fingers together in thought.

"Minerva had not yet told me of this.I see.Let me first support what Minerva said, with a caveat.We did not want Delores here.We have been forced to take her.The political situation is truly dire and my position is not as firm as I would hope.I am the absolute Master of Hogwarts, however if we are not careful, parents will begin to withdraw their children.Even if they do not, the Ministry controls the outside, so students could be blocked from the Express and might never get to Hogwarts.So, she is right, you must try to control your temper.However, I understand how it feels.You have the power to wipe this woman off the face of the map without exerting yourself and you have the legal justification.Just shouting at her had to feel like the depths ofself controlwhen you could have challenged her.

I will speak to Minerva.Meanwhile, I suggest you go to Delores' detention just as instructed.However, you might mention to her that you have been studyingWizardingculture and are well aware you could challenge her to a duel for calling you a liar.While you are saying this, relax your control over your aura and push it out so she can feel it.I think you may have less trouble with her after that."

Harry was shocked.He wouldn't have expected Dumbledore to suggest something that was so aggressive.The Headmaster seemed to recognize his thoughts and chuckled.

"I know, that does not sound like something I would countenance, let alone suggest, does it?However, I know MadameUmbridge.I fear that if you let yourself be oppressed by her, she will react like a shark does to blood in the water.Far from being calmed, she is likely to do something that will incite you.At that point, I think it likely you would end up killing her and making our situation worse.Particularly if she decides to go after Hermione, I thinkyour selfcontrol would not extend so far, nor would I expect it to.Far better to stop her behavior towards you now."

"As far as your training, I had planned for the first evening of training to be Tuesday with ProfessorFlitwick.I think we will reschedule that for Wednesday.Occulomencywill be Thursday.Quidditchon Friday.Does that work?"

"Yes,Albus, as long as ProfessorUmbridgesees the light."Harry said, relieved.

"I have a feeling she will if you truly show her that core of yours while telling her exactly what I have told you to."Albussaid, chuckling, "If she does not, then I fear for her."

Harry walked back to the common room with a lot on his mind.He had rarely beensoangry as he was towardsUmbridge.Then, when he'd gotten no support from McGonagall, he'd been almost as angry at her.Loyalty meant everything to him and he believed in truth.If McGonagall didn't, then perhaps she didn't deserve the respect he'd always given her.

Hermione recognized his agitation the minute he walked into the common room.She climbed on to his lap facing him and massaged his shoulders.

"It's ok." She whispered, "You don't need to kill anyone.Yet."

He chuckled and relaxed a bit under her ministrations with a help from the love and support she pushed through the bond.

"I think Dumbledore's plan is sound." Hermione said, "Let's run it by Ron."

They discussed it briefly with Ron who thought for a few minutes.

"Well, Mate, I agree with him." Ron said, "The only thing to be careful of is that if she doesn't react rationally, you may need to duel.Are you ready for that?"

Harry nodded.He hadn't expected it to get to that point so quickly, but he wouldn't be called a liar.He also wouldn't put Hermione at risk, exposed to that woman constantly.It was time to pull her teeth one way or another.

"How did your meeting go?" Harry asked.

"Well." Hermione responded, "Much the same as yours, minus the discussion of theUmbridgeissue.She did ask me what happened and I told her, but we didn't discuss it further.We planned my schedule, which sounds very similar to yours.Mastery level transfiguration on Monday evenings, which will really just be checking in on the independent work I'm doing.Defense on Tuesdays withFlitwick.Wednesdays free, except apparently this Wednesday, when we'll reschedule Defense because of your detention.Thursdays forocculomency.Fridays free."

"Sounds good.I'm really looking forward to it and I know you must be thrilled."

"You have no idea!" Hermione said with a huge grin, "A masterywith McGonagall will open so many doors.A transfigurationmastery from the lineage ofFlamellis really something to be proud of!"

They worked on homework for the rest of the evening.Harry studied tomorrow's lesson in transfiguration with utmost focus,suprisingHermione.

"Why are you working so hard on the disappearing charm?" she asked.

"Professor McGonagall made me mad today." Harry tried to explain, "I'm going to show her what I'm capable of."

Hermione nodded, understanding his motivation, but concerned about the rift between her favorite teacher who she had just apprenticed to and her fiancée.

Harry cast the spell over and over again, applying the concepts they'd learned in their summer training.Repetition waskey, training slowly and carefully, striving for accuracy over speed at first and repeating until speed came naturally.Harry found he was learning how to learn better.The process was the same no matter what spell you wanted to master and he soon found himself making tiny wand movements and casting non-verbally with consistently good results.He had a huge advantage over other wizards in training because of his abnormally large magical core.He could practice for hours without exhausting himself, giving himself more repetitions to get good at a spell.Given that he was already a natural at practical application, that many repetitions usually led him quickly to mastering the spell.

This time he had the added advantage of an almost fully completed bond with a transfiguration apprentice.Hermione was very competitive and didn't want to look like she wasworkinglessthan Harry at transfiguration when she was the apprentice.So she worked likeahouseelf to master the spell.She benefitted from Harry's work as the skill bled over the bond and he benefitted from her work, so it was effectively like they did double the repetitions.

Soon, he tried the spellwandlessly.Hermione, seeing that, growled at him and began doing the same thing.By bedtime they were even succeeding in that.He had always performed better when emotionally motivated and he really, really wanted to show McGonagall that he was worth her support.

That night, during their bonding practice, Hermione had him practice pushing his aura out as far as he could,manifestingthe entirety of his magical core without hiding any of it.It was similar to what Hermione had done as she prepared toapparateout through the Hogwarts wards during thethethird task and those sensitive enough to feel her magic realized she was a mage-level witch.

He got better and better at it.It was almost the opposite of what he'd learned from her last year, when he'd learned to mimic her habit of drawing her aura in tightly, perfectly controlled.Instead, this was allowing the core free reign and his magic pulsated out through the common room.He noticed several of the girls looking over at him and whispering amongst themselves.

"Why are they staring?" Harry whispered to Hermione.

"Well," Hermione started, wondering how to phrase it, "some writers have theorized that nature has prepared witches to be attracted to the most powerful wizard they can attract, so they can give birth to the most magically powerful offspring possible.It's one explanation for the fact that most witches find a powerful magical aura…arousing."

"Really?"Harry asked, surprised.

"Yes, really."Hermione smiled, "You never wondered why you get so much female attention?"

"Well, I thought it was because I was famous." Harry admitted.

"That too."

H/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/Hr

The next morning started with their usual routine.They ran despite the gray leaden morning, showered, dressed, and ate.

In charms, ProfessorFlitwickgave a speech on the importance of the OWL year and set them to practicing summoning charms, a spell that was now somewhat of a specialty of Harry's, given its importance to his completion of the first task and his subsequent obsessive practice of it with the goal to be able to practice itwandlesslyin case he ever lost his wand in a duel.He and Hermione exchanged a look.

"Think ProfessorFlitwickis going to have you summoningfirsties, Harry?" Hermione teased.

"Well, if he does, I'll be ready, huh?"

"Excuseme,is there something you're discussing that you want to share with the class, Mr. Potter?" ProfessorFlitwickasked.He was a very nice professor, but a stickler for applying yourself in his class.

"No, sir."Harry replied, waving his hand and summoning his wand.

The half-goblin's eyes widened and his mouth dropped open in a perfect O of surprise.

"Excuse me, Mr. Potter, could you do that again?"

Harry nodded and summoned a book off the Professor's desk.

"Oh, well done, Mr. Potter!" ProfessorFlitwicksaid and looked at Hermione.

She demonstrated the same ability, summoning another book of his deskwandlessly.

"Very good!Now, given your special curriculum, I will add that you should not show all of your abilities to everyone, but as a teacher I am very impressed!" he said quietly.

In transfiguration, Professor McGonagall was even more adamant about the importance of OWLs.

"You cannot pass an OWL" said Professor McGonagall grimly, "without serious application, practice, and study. I see no reason why everybody in this class should not achieve an OWL in Transfiguration as long as they put in the work." Seeing Neville making a sad little disbelieving face, she added, "Yes, you too, Mr.Longbottom. There is nothing wrong with your work except lack of confidence. So, today we are starting with Vanishing Spells. These are easier than Conjuring Spells, which you usually would not attempt until NEWT level, but they are still among the most difficult magic you will be tested on in your OWL."

Harry was happy to see that as she circulated, would observe Hermione before him, because even though he did want to impress her, he wanted Hermione to have the chance to impress her first, since she was McGonagall's apprentice.He wouldn't 'let' Hermione beat him, but neither did he need to let her.They were even and just the order the Professor was observing in would allow Hermione to shine.

Shine she did.With a wave of her hand she vanished her snail, a fairly simple living target, since it was an invertebrate, but still very impressive for a fifth year student.McGonagall was very impressed.

"Miss Granger, 20 points for Gryffindor!I obviously have chosen very well."

Then she looked at Harry.He could tell by the thin set of her lips she was still unhappy with him.That was ok, he was unhappy with her, too.

He waved his hand and his snail disappeared.

To say McGonagall was shocked would be an understatement.

"Mr. Potter, please do that again, slowly."

Harry slowly waved his hand over the next snail, which also disappeared.

"With your wand and the incantation, please?"

"Evanesco" Harry incanted with the smallest flick of his wand, again disappearing the snail, much more easily when using the full spell.

"Well, I am impressed, Mr. Potter."

"Thank you." He said smugly, "I wonder if it works on toads."

At that she scowled and continued on.Hermione began working with Ron to help him with the spell while Harry worked with Neville.By the very end of class, both of them were able tovanishtheir snails.

H/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/Hr

That afternoon, Harry's day was made even a bit better.Luna and Ginny passed them leavingHerbologyas Harry, Hermione, and Ron were in Care of Magic Creatures.

" Ibelieve He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named is back, and I believe you fought him and escaped from him."

There was silence as everyone took her statement in.

Ginny just giggled, "Hi, Harry.You know I believe you thatVoldemort'sback."

She and Luna walked away after Luna said, "Hi, Ronald."

Ernie MacMillan took the opportunity to step up to him.

"I want you to know, Potter," he said in a loud, carrying voice, "that it's not onlyweirdoswho support you.I personally believe you one hundred percent. My family have always stood firm behind Dumbledore, and so do I."

"Er, thanks very much, Ernie." Harry said, "By the way, Luna's not really a weirdo.She's a good friend, but I still appreciate your support."

Harry was able to go on with his day significantly buoyed by the expressions of support from his friends and from one fellow Prefect who wasn't more than an acquaintance.

H/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/Hr

That evening, Harry ate a very early dinner and walked to the DADA professor's office.He knocked and was admitted to the office.He was very familiar, having been inside frequently, but he could barely believe it was the same office, every surface covered in lace doilies and plates with kittens covering the wall.It was disturbing.

"Good evening, Mr. Potter."Umbridgesmiled sweetly, "Are you ready for your detention?"

"Umm… yeah."Harry replied, "That's why I'm here, ProfessorUmbridge."

"Very well."Umbridgesaid, handing him a long black quill with a very sharp tip, "I want you to write 'I must not tell lies.'".

"Ok," Harry replied, "Only you haven't given me any ink."

"You won't need ink."Umbridgesaid, the cloying sweetness of her voice sounding almost evil.

Harry wrote 'I must not tell lies' seeing the words appear in shining red ink.He almost gasped as the words appeared on the back of his right hand cut as if by a scalpel.They almost instantly healed, leaving just an area of redness.He shifted his vision to include auras and saw the black aura around the pen.He sensed the enchantments on the pen and thought he could probably pick them apart if he chose to, but he decided this was one more thing he could use againstUmbridge.He began to write the lines, falling into an almost meditative state.A weird mixture of determination,occulomenticdetachment, and deep, deep rage came over him as he wrote line after line.He didn't look atUmbridge, not wanting her to see that he was discomforted by the quill in the least.Hours passed as he wrote line after line, the cuts in his hand remaining longer with each line he inscribed.

Finally,Umbridgestopped him.He noticed it was full dark outside.

"Come here." She said,thenexamined his hand.

"Tut, tut, I don't seem to have made much of an impression yet," she said smiling, "Well, we'll just have to try again tomorrow evening, won't we?You may go."

Harry stepped back from her desk slightly.

"Do you still say I'm a liar when I sayVoldemort'sback?" he asked quietly.

"Yes, you're an attention-seeking liar."Umbridgesaid in her little girl voice, "I thought you realized that's what I was trying to break you of with these lines.Maybe you're a slow learner."

Harry released his control and pushed his magical aura out to its greatest potential.He felt his magic flowing outward in waves.He lookedUmbridgein the eye, his eyes glowing green.

"Do you realize I'm Harry James Potter, Lord Potter,Headof House Potter?"

"Mmm..and why should I care, Mr. Potter, what titles you claim for yourself?"Umbridgesaid, sweetly, but something in her eyes showed she was concerned.

"Because I am learningWizardingculture from my Godfather, Lord Sirius Black, Head of House Black, who has named me his heir.He taught me the laws on dueling.Calling me a liar is the simplest way of starting a duel.Now you've given me a second reason by using a cursed object to draw the blood of House Potter.Was provoking a duel your intent?"

ProfessorUmbridgelooked confused.

"I thought you were raised in aMugglehousehold, Mr. Potter?"

"Lord Potter." Harry corrected, "I was, but since my Godfather was released and his name was cleared, I've lived with him.I repeat myquestion,do you intend to provoke a duel?"

"Hem, hem."Umbridgecleared her throat, trying to think, "Mmmm… no, I just wanted to teach you not to… I mean…"

"So you don't want to duel?" Harry asked, still staring into her eyes.

"Why would the DefenseAgainstthe Dark Arts Professor need to duel a fifth year student?"Umbridgesaid, trying to regain the initiative.

"Because if you don't retract you accusation that I'm a liar, I'm going to challenge you to one?"Harry said, "Having the Black library at my disposal has been so informative.I used to favor the disarming curse, but since I learned the bone breaker curse, the organ expelling curse, piercing, cutting, and flaming curses, I hardly ever use the disarming curse anymore.Maybe I can show you?"

"No, that won't be necessary." ProfessorUmbridgefinally said, "As I said before, I can't imagine a reason for a fifth year student to need a practical component."

"Then we're understood?"

"I think so, Lord Potter."

"Very well."Harry said, "I don't think you'll need my presence again tomorrow, will you?"

"No, I think you learned your lesson."

"I think the lesson was learned, yes." Harry said, staring directly into her eyes, "Good evening, Professor."

"Good evening, Lord Potter."

H/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/HrH/Hr

A/N: I saw where JKR said Hermione was "borderline genius at points".Borderline?Hermione is the top student of Hogwarts, the foremost magical school in the world and is acknowledged by many to be the brightest witch of her age.At any given school I attended, there were at least a handful of students who technically met the definition of genius.Hermione is definitely a genius.Harry is likely a genius, but at least borderline. Of course, the definition of genius is going to be controversial, so this can be argued, but I strongly feel she was a genius.

From here, the story will begin Harry's Apprentice training, the portion that inspired the title.