Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Duelist by Hawkins
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Duelist

Hawkins

Disclaimer: I don't own the Harry Potter characters or plot. I don't make money and just write for my enjoyment and hopefully for yours.

Chapter 33: OWLs

May 2

Hermione stretched, enjoying the overall boneless feeling she had. She was definitely sore, her muscles feeling like they'd been overworked, her body feeling like she'd been in a marathon wrestling match, and a throbbing between her legs. Her phoenix abilities had tried to heal her and she'd had to consciously fight it. There would only be one morning like this one and she was going to experience it. She remembered waking a number of times in the night, either because Harry had initiated something or because she'd woken horny and initiated something. Once she woke in the midst of the act and together they realized neither knew who'd started it, they'd just come together unconsciously in their sleep. Hermione hoped there would be many other nights like that. Maybe not exactly like that, but the love and passion was wonderful.

More than the physical sensations, the emotion she felt was a cause of even more joy. She'd married Harry! They'd defeated the soul fragment lodged in his scar and he was free instead of dead, as the great Albus Dumbledore with all his information on horcruxes had thought he'd have to be to dislodge the fragment. Her face stretched in a huge smile before she could control it. They'd won the hardest fight and could now concentrate on finishing this struggle without their own more literal version of the Sword of Damocles hanging over their heads.

She looked over and found Harry's emerald eyes calmly watching her. She was surprised, because she hadn't sensed his awareness through the bond. She caught a hint of humor and his lips quirked upwards.

"You were enjoying yourself too much to pay attention." Harry murmured happily, "I was enjoying you enjoying it. I can't wait to watch you wake every morning."

"I usually wake before you do." Hermione said, lightly slapping his chest, but quickly giving up and just letting her hand stroke him.

"Not this morning." Harry said smiling, "I was just about to wake you or we'd miss breakfast."

"Hmmmmm…." Hermione murmured, stretching again, "I'm not surprised I slept in. With all the worry I had about the fragment, all the excitement of the wedding, all the physical and magical exertion… I'm half surprised we didn't wake up three days later like you usually do after your little adventures."

"I actually feel really energized." Harry said, "I think the horcrux was drawing energy off me my whole life. Once I got better at defending myself, it still required energy. It was also a… I don't even know how to say it. A blackness…a stain…a wrongness. I feel less confused, less angry. I feel more myself if that makes sense."

Hermione nodded, "However you describe it makes sense. You're the expert. I doubt any other living person has ever had a horcrux in his head."

She kissed Harry, a close mouthed smooch to spare him her morning breath. He shook his head and wandlessly cast a cleaning charm on both their mouths and then kissed her properly.

"We can keep brushing our teeth if it's really important to you, but if magic makes sure I get a good morning kiss, we'll do that, too." Harry said firmly.

Hermione smiled at her husband and gave him another deep kiss.

"I don't suppose I can complain about that." She said and slipped out of the bed. Again stretching, she walked slowly to their attached bathroom. Hermione could feel Harry's eyes on her and far from making her feel self-conscious, it made her feel beautiful and appreciated. The sensation she felt through the bond was more akin to worship that appreciation, which did cause her to blush. At least it was mutual.

"Are you coming?" she said with a saucy grin and an extra sway to her hips.

H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr

Normally the Great Hall on Saturday morning would be emptier than on a weekday as some students had a lie in, some ate at their usual time, and overall spread the breakfast numbers over a longer period. This morning there was a sense of expectation. The strange events of the night before had everyone buzzing and they'd gathered in the Great Hall hoping to catch a glimpse of the Potters. Nobody knew for a fact they had anything to do with the strange magical pulsing the night before, but it was their wedding night and even without that, most odd happenings at Hogwarts could eventually be associated with Potter in some way.

Hermione walked in on Harry's arm, smiling. It was their first morning as a married couple and she felt fulfilled and happy. Despite being generally an introvert, this feeling was so strong she actually felt like being around other people to share her happiness. She also felt like being around others would make it feel more real, less like a good dream she would wake up from.

She blushed a little as she realized she was walking a little gingerly. She'd told Harry she wanted him to leave her walking funny so everyone knew what they'd done and he had. They had. Now she got to reap the knowing looks from the older students. The feeling of his seed seeping into her knickers wasn't anything any of them could notice, but it added to her embarrassment, which in her was strangely linked to her randiness. In a very proper way, this was a walk of shame and she enjoyed it.

"Finally decide to come to breakfast?" Ginny teased.

"Long night." Harry said, yawning, then turned red as he realized what he'd said.

"Too much information, Mate." Ron kidded. Neville just sat grinning a bit, silently enjoying the banter but not feeling the need to add to it.

"We all felt it, though." Luna said, "We felt you beat him. We sent energy to try to help."

Hermione's eyes widened. She cast a quick privacy charm to let them speak and then looked at Luna expectantly. Luna told them the whole story from their viewpoint atop the astronomy tower. Hermione listened intently and then explained they'd destroyed the horcrux.

"Destroying a horcrux as your first action as a married couple," Luna said, "they say how you start something is how you'll keep going, so I suppose that's a good sign."

The others laughed.

"What are you doing now?" Neville asked.

"We're going away for the rest of the weekend." Harry said, "We just wanted to see our friends before we left. We'll be back Sunday night to start classes at the normal time Monday."

Hermione wondered what he'd planned. Harry had planned their honeymoon, including this short 'appetizer' weekend, but he'd kept the plans secret from her. He told her she wouldn't need to pack clothes, but otherwise hadn't told her anything.

They walked up to their room and Harry pulled out a portkey Dumbledore had enchanted for him.

"Are you ready?" Harry asked.

"As ready as I can be when you haven't told me where we're going!" Hermione humphed.

Harry gave her a sly half-grin. "Don't worry, you'll enjoy it."

They held the portkey together and Harry tapped it to activate it. They had the uncomfortable sensation associated with portkey travel and as they appeared, they carefully kicked their legs to land upright in the soft sand. Hermione looked around, easily recognizing Hidden Bay.

"Oh, Harry, it's perfect!" Hermione exclaimed, "This is exactly where I would want to spend a few days with you."

"I know." Harry smirked, "Come on, let me show you what I've done."

He guided them over to small copse of palm trees that looked a little different from the others.

"Neville helped me grow these. They're special Dragon Palms. They only grow where there's abundant Dragon dung for fertilizer. We had to provide that and with some spells he knew we were able to grow them to full size in a few months. The neat thing about them is they're very tolerant of transfiguration spells."

Harry concentrated, taking a few deep breaths to center himself. With the Elder Wand he made a complicated but crisp wand movement and spoke a long incantation. The Dragon Palms blurred and in their place was a small teak building with open sides.

"Whew, that's a difficult one." Harry said, "Dumbledore taught me and I've been practicing so I'd get it right."

The Black Isle House Elves had obviously been expecting them, because soon the open sides were covered by diaphanous curtains that blew in the tropical breezes. As Harry led her inside, Hermione could see the House Elves had already furnished it.

"When we're done, the furniture can be returned to the main house and this can be returned to the native Dragon Palm forms." Harry explained, "So we're not changing the natural beauty of the place."

Hermione hugged Harry. He knew exactly what she would have wanted for their special place.

Harry squeezed her back and kissed her deeply. She responded eagerly, exploring his mouth with her tongue. While they kissed, Harry unfastened her school tie, her oxford shirt, and dropped both beside the bed. She started working on his shirt while he unfastened her plaid skirt and dropped it. She tried to catch up, grabbing at his belt and trousers, but he pulled away so he could remove his shoes. Soon they were both nude. The feeling of the ocean breezes blowing in through the open walls was amazing, as was the sound of the surf right outside.

"I love you, Harry." Hermione said, trying desperately to communicate how much she meant that, not just as something to say but as the central fact of her life.

"I love you, Hermione." Harry said, his eyes showing his understanding and complete reciprocation. She could feel his amazement and happiness that she could feel the same way for him as he felt for her. He was still overcoming his upbringing and she could tell he didn't feel like he deserved her love, but he was so thankful for this miracle it made her heart break that this lovable man could ever think he didn't deserve her.

She turned him and with a hand against his muscular chest pushed him back onto the bed.

"I get to be on top this time, Potter." She said in a husky voice.

He crawled more to the center of the bed and she crawled after him, straddling his hips. He reached for her sex to caress her, but she grabbed his wrists and pushed them above his head.

"No need. I'm ready." Hermione said, raising herself up above him. She had to release one of his hands, because she wasn't yet skilled enough at this to position him without a free hand. With one small hand around him she brushed his glans against her wet labia, using him to stroke herself and wetting him in the process. He took his free hand and caressed the side of her face, staring intently into her eyes. She locked eyes with him and pushed back and down onto him, feeling as his large cock pushed into her. Hermione wasn't sore anymore. Her body had healed when she'd stopped attending to keeping it from doing so and this entry was pure pleasure with no pain. There was still a stretching sensation as her body wasn't completely used to being filled, but she enjoyed it.

"Oh, Harry." Hermione gasped as she settled completely against him, her thighs resting on his hipbones.

"This is so good." Harry gasped, "I'm glad we waited, but if I had known how good it was going to be, I don't think I could have."

"Me, either." Hermione admitted as she started moving, riding her husband.

Harry watched as Hermione's athletic body tensed and relaxed, her medium size breasts bouncing slightly with each movement. He doubted anyone at school would ever imagine what the swot at the top of the school rankings was hiding under her uniform. The hard physical training Ashdown had put them through and the magical enhancements they'd both undergone had changed them. Hermione was probably fitter than any of the others, except maybe Ginny or Luna, who'd gone through much the same training. He was happy to keep this as his secret. If a few close friends had been surprisingly brought in, if he occasionally caught Dean or Seamus giving her a look when they thought nobody was watching, all the better, because he knew she was his.

He relished his own abilities. All the physical and magical training had left him in control of himself. Instead of feeling barely capable of holding back until he could give her the minimum pleasure he thought she deserved, he knew he could go as long as she wanted, either postponing his own climax or letting it wash over him with no wilting. His body was under his control not the other way around and he loved to use it for her enjoyment.

They matched their rhythm to each other and to the rhythmic pounding of the surf outside. Hermione rode Harry, watching his face lovingly as he watched her. She rode to climax after climax, their bodies and their magic in perfect harmony. She bent down and kissed him, snogging him senseless and just letting their bodies gently rock against each other. Finally, after what was probably hours, she picked up the pace, slamming against him. He pushed back into her, lifting her off the bed. They came together more and more rapidly, more and more intensely as they built up to a powerful finish. Hermione felt her entire body tensing and was happy Hidden Bay was so private as she cried aloud for only the ocean to hear. She collapsed on Harry, their sweat slicked bodies pressed together comfortably.

Hermione wasn't sure if she'd dozed or not. She knew she was thirsty and noticed a pitcher of ice water with a single cup beside the bed. The House Elves were in total stealth mode, meeting all their needs without being seen.

The couple spent the rest of the weekend making love, sleeping, eating, and swimming in the sea. Everything they could want, from romantic dinners to sun protection potion was always waiting for them when they needed it, but they never saw another soul.

While they at Hidden Bay, Hermione ended the minor confundus she'd cast on herself and realized she hadn't been in a fertile period. She cast the pregnancy detection spell on herself to be sure. She was both relieved and a little sad to see the negative result. Now was not the best time, both due to their education and more importantly due to the ongoing fight against Voldemort, but she wasn't the same girl she had been, who had always listened to her head. Her heart was not completely rational and so she was a little disappointed she'd have to delay giving Harry what he'd always wanted most in life, a family. Harry hugged her close, supporting her through her brief disappointment and letting her know he wasn't unhappy. They had many years to start their family and while he wouldn't have been disappointed if they'd been surprised, he was also content to wait, knowing she wouldn't make him wait forever. She restarted the contraception potion, looking forward to a future day when she'd stop it for good.

H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr

May 3

They used the return portkey to their private quarters. Hermione hadn't opened a single book during their brief vacation. She'd never imagined she would be able to refrain this close to their OWLs, but she was totally wrapped up in her husband and exploring their newly completed physical relationship. She'd learned her body needed attention too and she was able to tell her mind to be patient.

Now that they were back, though, it was time to get started and really focus on preparation. Harry appreciated that she'd delayed to let them have the weekend with no studying, so he was quick to help her when they returned. They grabbed their work and went to the Gryffindor common room. A few quick greetings and welcomes, suitable for their brief absence, and then they were installed at a table with Hermione's schedule laid out in front of them.

She looked like she wasn't studying, as she had her eyes closed as did Harry. They were busy exploring their minds and memories, though, and communicating through the bond. Hermione was refining their revision schedule, checking off areas that she could tell they were strong in and expanding areas where she noted weakness. By bedtime, she had the revision schedule edited to her satisfaction.

"You know we're way past ready already, now, don't you?" Harry asked, "We've read the books on preparing for the OWLs and we know everything they suggest might be on it."

Hermione gave him a peeved look, then relented.

"I know, Harry." Hermione sighed, "We each have our quirks. Please tolerate this one of mine. I'll be much happier if we follow my revision schedule. It may seem painful, but I'll be much more pleasant to be around when it actually comes exam time if we do it this way."

Harry smiled at his wife.

"I was never suggesting otherwise." Harry said, "I'm all for being over prepared, too. I just want you to know we're already ready, so you don't feel driven to anxiety over studying."

Hermione smiled back and nodded.

"I know and if something comes up that you need time for, like Quidditch or defense or just time with me, say so. I know we can afford the time and if you're willing to study hard with me the rest of the time, I won't complain if we sometimes have to ease off to do something else."

"That's fair." Harry said, "Ready for bed?"

"Of course." Hermione said giving him a sidelong look.

They both had the same thought and hurried to their room, to bed but not to sleep.

H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr

May 4

Remus woke, his face and body pressed against the cold stone floor. He ached all over. The Wolfsbane potion made his transformations much less stressful, but that was only a relative improvement. At least he wasn't waking with huge gouges and scratches on his body. Even better, he wasn't waking with the fear that he might have harmed someone during his period of mindlessness.

He was tired and worn. His life had been difficult and he tried not to dwell on it, but it was hard. He'd been bitten as a child and could have ended up completely isolated, as most werewolves did, but Albus had taken a risk for a bright child and made arrangements for his education at Hogwarts. There he'd made close friends who'd invested their efforts into the animagus transformation to keep him company during his own transformation. With such good friends and an education, he was infinitely better off than most of his brethren. Fortune could rapidly become misfortune when it was taken away, though, as the lack was much more painful after experiencing something better. Despite being a Gryffindor prefect and one of the top graduates of his year, he found himself unemployable due to his condition. Wormtail's betrayal had taken James, Lily, and Harry from him. He'd thought Wormtail dead and Sirius a traitor, so in one single day the Marauders were destroyed and he'd lost his entire adopted family. After that, he'd drifted around, barely surviving on his intellect, his education, and his enhanced physical abilities as a werewolf, but his soul had been dead.

Since meeting Harry again, his life had improved. A year of employment at Hogwarts had improved his lot, even though losing his position afterwards had been another disappointment. Learning Sirius was not the traitor was another relief. Sirius' exoneration had been the next piece of good luck. Again, he felt like he had a family. It wasn't perfect and it was clear to him that his life was still on hold. He and Sirius were living together as bachelor friends while they pieced their lives together. Lately, he'd been noticing Tonks. He sensed she was interested in him and while he thought the age difference was too great, it wasn't from lack of interest on his part. He just couldn't see what he could offer the young auror. He was only thirty-six years old, but felt much older. She was in her early twenties and even without his 'furry little problem' that would be an obstacle.

He stirred, dragging himself off the cold stone floor of his safe room at Grimmauld Place. With the Wolfsbane Potion he could probably have slept in his room, but he wasn't willing to risk an ineffective potion. If he transformed without the potion, he would be immersed in pure bloodlust. While Sirius might be safe enough, due to his ability to transform into a Grim, even an animagus could be caught by surprise or while sleeping, especially by a creature who could break through walls or doors like they didn't exist. Even if Sirius were safe, the other residents along Grimmault Place were not. A stout iron door and stone walls were reassuring and the discomfort was nothing.

He wrapped his robe around himself and found the door already unlocked. Sirius must have instructed Kreacher to open it as soon as the moon set.

Many good things had happened lately. Harry's wedding had been beautiful and Remus was thankful he'd been able to be there, although he hadn't felt his best so close to the full moon. They'd managed to destroy many of the horcruxes and had trained Harry to a level where he stood a chance against Voldemort. Protecting Harry, the only child of the Marauders, was his focus. Once Voldemort was defeated, maybe there would be a chance to pick up his own life, if he survived.

H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr

Harry and Hermione focused on studying for the OWLs. Ron sighed and whined about Harry becoming too much like Hermione since his marriage, but shut up when Luna gave him a dirty look and eventually even joined their revising. Luna sat in, eager to absorb information from Hermione. Harry sometimes wondered how Luna and Hermione's relationship worked. Luna couldn't be different from the old Hermione, whimsical where Hermione was ultra-rational. However, they were both deeply intellectual and now that Hermione had moderated her intolerance for the irrational, the two had gravitated together. Ron's abrupt departure over the summer and Luna's need for a female friend who wasn't her absent boyfriend's sister had probably spurred the growth of their friendship. However it had happened, they were close friends now and Hermione was something of a mentor to the younger girl.

Ginny wasn't quite as intellectual as the other two girls. She was too much of an athlete to be considered a complete swot, but she was also bright and studious. Neville needed to prepare for OWLs and studying with Hermione was the best way to do that, so Ginny did what she had to do to be around her boyfriend.

So it was a motley crew that formed for OWL revision, but surprisingly effective. Hermione was the brain of the group. Harry was just as bright now due to the bond and lent a certain athletic leadership style that worked well to bring Ron, Neville, and Ginny into the fold. Their group received envious looks from Ravenclaws when they were studying in the library. That house wasn't used to having anyone from outside lead the academic rankings, but Hermione had done so for years and Harry had joined her recently.

As OWLs became the main subject of their studies in all of their courses, Hermione scheduled an appointment with Professor McGonagall for her and Harry. They walked to their head of house's office and rapped on the door.

"Come in." Professor McGonagall called out.

They walked in and took seats when directed.

"Miss G…I mean Mrs. Potter, what can I do for you?" Professor McGonagall said, "I have already approved your revision schedule as very thorough and you're well ahead in my class."

"Of course, Professor." Hermione said hurriedly, "This is about something completely different. I'm concerned about cheating during the tests. The bond my husband and I share has become more and more complete as time has gone on. I have absorbed many of his abilities and talents to the point that I feel I am probably the second best Seeker at Hogwarts despite being a below average flyer before. He has similarly absorbed my abilities and traits. It's gotten to the point where we even share memories, which are easily organized due to Professor Snape's extensive investment in teaching us occlumency. If we want, for maximum efficiency Harry can read one book while I read another and we both retain the knowledge. While with extreme difficulty we can block the bond, that's impractical for the exam. It would be an unfair hindrance to us, because we'd be concentrating on something outside of the material. I just don't see how we can take the tests without cheating."

Professor McGonagall listened carefully before a softer expression came over her face.

"Hermione, soul bonds, particularly those developed to this extent are very rare." McGonagall explained, "Rare, however, does not mean unprecedented. Hogwarts has existed for a thousand years. We have been through this before and rules have already been developed. You are not at fault for your abilities and we don't expect you to block your bond. That's abhorrent. You're a married couple and we understand that. You share the same memories and that will be a huge benefit on these exams, particularly the theory portion, just as Mr. Potter's ability along practical lines will be a large benefit on the practical portion. You are expected to do your best. The only rule we have is that you must take the exams at the same time, to insure you do not communicate to the other who could then do further reading before taking the exam. Beyond that, there are no limitations on you."

Hermione stared, surprised the solution was that easy and that generous to the students.

"Professor, you do realize under those rules we will both have no difficulty with these exams?"

"I expect no less, Mrs. Potter." McGonagall said primly, "I did choose you for my apprentice. I am sure you will not disappoint me."

Hermione nodded, the tension leaving her shoulders. Both she and Harry had a strong sense of integrity, even if his tendency to break rules sometimes hid it. Neither wanted to cheat, but it would be very difficult to isolate their individual abilities for the OWL exams.

"The soul bound have typically done well on these exams." Professor McGonagall added, "Even when they haven't been blessed with a perfect memory and innate talent for casting spells. Now go on. Keep studying. I will expect nothing less than outstandings for both of you."

H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr

Professor Snape continued working with them on refining their occlumency, pushing them to test him as much as he tested them. He continued to develop their legilimency, as well as pushing them to study for potions. Immediately before leaving his office one evening, he stopped them.

"Mr. and Mrs. Potter," Snape said in his normal tone, so it was difficult to tell whether they were going to be on his good side or bad side, "you're both aware that Lily Evans and I were friends."

Severus paused, seeming to collect his thoughts.

"You are her son and heir. I have something of hers that you should have. I have noticed you have both been cross referencing multiple works on potions to supplement our imperfect textbook. Lily and I did this extensively. I think you deserve a copy of our work, since it was the fruit of her efforts as much as mine. You may come across her copies at some point. If you would share them, I would appreciate it, but I understand they may have been lost, so I made copies of mine. Please be aware there are spells listed in the margins which can be dangerous. Please do not experiment without asking me about them."

Snape produced a stack of potion textbooks, strapped together with a leather strap. They were clearly copies.

"Thank you, Professor." Harry said, looking wonderingly at the gift, "I truly don't know what to say."

"Perhaps you could actually study them, Potter." Snape said drily, "Having at least two students who weren't completely incompetent would its own reward. You're dismissed. Curfew is approaching."

Harry and Hermione rushed back to their room with the private study area. They unstrapped the books and leafed through them. The margins were filled with slight modifications and additions to the potions, many of which they'd already discovered in their studies, but some were new to them. They had discovered some that Professor Snape hadn't seemed to document in these books whether he'd found them later, but this was rare.

"This is a treasure." Hermione whispered, "We need to merge our notes with these into a master copy and then make sure we remember them."

Harry nodded, agreeing, then looked up with the gleam of an idea in his eye.

"There's a spell to copy, that's how Snape made these, right?" Harry asked.

Hermione nodded.

"Well, what if there was a spell to merge changes?" Harry asked, "Muggle computers can do it. I don't see why magic couldn't."

Hermione looked thoughtful. She copied the books Snape had given them and copied their own.

"Here, use these, so if it doesn't work you haven't destroyed the originals."

Harry took a few deep breaths and decided to use Dumbledore's technique of intense visualization along with willing the effect he wanted. The Elder Wand was a big advantage, as it magnified anything cast through it and allowed the impossible. Harry tapped the two stacks, which disappeared, merging into a single stack.

Hermione was quickly leafing through.

"It worked!" Hermione exclaimed happily, "That will save a few hours of tedium."

H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr

Harry and Hermione stood in the dueling room listening to Headmaster Dumbledore and Professor Flitwick describing a difficult advanced technique to multiply the effects of certain spells. They'd previously worked on how to make some spells, like stunning spells, wide angle, but other spells were very individual, like Hermione's black hole spell. With slight modification, the spell could be used to generate more than one black hole at a time. The energy requirement went up quickly, making it impractical for most duelists, but for powerful Witches and Wizards it could turn the tide of a battle.

"Power is not the only difficulty." Dumbledore intoned, "Accuracy is also a challenge. Placing a single spell requires practice, but compared to accurately placing multiple effects with a single spell it is relatively simple. The higher multiple you use, the more difficult it becomes and even the most focused, well-trained, and powerful Wizards are generally inaccurate with anything approaching ten instances of a spell effect."

Professor Flitwick gestured to the line of practice dummies.

"We'll start with you attempting to cast three reductor curses with a single spell. That should be a sufficient challenge for this session."

The couple found their teachers' warnings were very true. Neither one of them could successfully generate three reductors at once with their first try. Even after several attempts, once they could produce three explosions with a single spell, they had difficulty aiming them, missing their intended dummies and hitting others nearby. It felt like trying to write with the left hand and the right hand at once. They practiced this seemingly simple task for almost two hours before they took a break. Walking to the side of the room, Harry noticed Alex had walked in and had been watching them.

"Alex!" Harry said, shaking his older friend's hand, "Good to see you!"

"Glad to see you, too, Harry." Alex said, "I see you're still working hard."

"Yeah, Hermione and I are trying to get the hang of this splitting technique."

"It's really difficult." Alex agreed, "I've been working on it for years, but almost never use it in duels. It takes too much energy, is difficult to be accurate with, and can leave you exhausted. If you waste all your energy and miss anyway…well, it's a dangerous tactic. Few duelists have used it successfully, but when it has been done, it has been impressive."

Harry glanced at Hermione, the two absorbing the very practical lesson Alex managed to convey in just a few words. Having the very experienced duelist's help had been invaluable.

"What have you been up to?" Hermione asked, "We haven't seen much of you lately."

"Maybe that's because you're always in the library, Hermione." Alex teased, "I heard you had some exams to write?"

Hermione ducked her head, but then looked back up grinning, "Maybe one or two, but that doesn't account for not seeing you, because we've still been showing up here and you haven't been. I didn't think you'd give up the chances to duel with Harry."

"No, nor with you." Alex agreed, "After all this work with you two, I fully expect to be back at the top again when I return to the circuit. Unfortunately, the reason I missed a few weeks here was some trouble with some of my old friends from the dueling circuit. Doing what I'm doing and training others is a very common retirement strategy for former champion-level duelists. All the Purebloods fancy themselves as potential champions and spend a fortune on the training they think will get them there. They don't realize that without true dedication, all the fancy training in the world won't make you good."

Harry and Hermione nodded, understanding exactly what the man was saying. It took hard work, quality instruction, and natural talent to progress to the highest levels. Few had the potential and fewer still would make the effort to develop it.

"So most of my old friends spend time wandering Europe training others. Some end up teaching auror forces. That's not a bad job, since the aurors tend to be much more disciplined. They're easier to teach, but it doesn't pay as well. Teaching some snotty Pureblood pays more, but takes a lot of patience, the ability to flatter, and to actually get anywhere, a lot of teaching ability. I keep in touch with these guys via owl, but I noticed I wasn't getting replies from some of my oldest friends, some of the best duelists out there. So I decided to go looking. I wasn't able to find them. Rumor on the circuit is that they were recruited by someone very, very rich and very, very private. They were apparently sworn to the utmost in secrecy before they just disappeared and nobody's heard of them since."

The Potters were thinking furiously. Neither had a background in detective work, but both were very bright and had made amateur puzzle solving something of a hobby ever since they'd prevented Voldemort from stealing the Philosopher's Stone. They'd discovered the identity of Slytherin's monster, proved Sirius' innocence, and exposed the fake Moody. Hermione had read the Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, and The Three Investigators. Her love of those novels had been a small part of what attracted her to her two troublemaking friends and finally overcome her natural respect for the rules and authority.

"What do you think happened?" Hermione finally asked, speaking for both of them.

"I thought they might have been killed by Esteban, the current dueling champion." Alex admitted, "I might be biased, because I don't like him, but that kind of interference with potential rivals isn't unheard of in our world. If the best of the competitors can't fight and can't train other potential fighters, it makes Estaban's chances of holding on to his title much greater."

Hermione watched Alex expectantly for a few moments before speaking again, "But that's not all you thought…"

"No," Alex continued, "that was my initial thought, but even Estaban would have difficulty causing the number of disappearances I've noticed. Someone else is involved."

The Potters kept their faces impassive, but whenever an evil plot developed around them, there was only one name associated in the end. Neither knew what significance this had, if any, but they could only imagine it was some plan of Voldemort's. Alex must have at least suspected that was a possibility or he wouldn't have mentioned it to them.

"Thank you." Harry said in a mature voice, "We'll keep our ears open. If you hear anything else, please let us know."

Anyone watching Harry dealing the dueling champion as an equal might be surprised, but the Gryffindor had a natural aura of leadership that was only growing as his confidence in his own abilities and in Hermione's constant support grew. The destruction of the Horcrux had freed him from some of the darkness of doubt and fear that had plagued him and he felt free to grow into his full potential. Hermione had long had the respect of all who worked closely with her, but the last two years had further developed her, too. They were becoming a formidable team with abilities and presence more characteristic of young adults rather than schoolchildren.

"Have you had enough rest, yet, or are you getting too old to continue your work?" Flitwick called out. He and Dumbledore had listened carefully to Alex's concerns and they would add their prodigious abilities to the efforts to figure out the mystery, but for now their focus was on preparing Harry for the inevitable confrontation.

Harry and Hermione both took the floor.

"Any two of you." Harry said, "We plan to face Voldemort together. We need to practice that way."

"Two of us?" Flitwick asked, "No, I think you should practice against all three of us. Your fights against the Death Eaters won't be fair."

Harry's eyes widened, causing the older Wizards to laugh.

"Well, at least he still has some respect for us." Alex laughed.

"Don't worry, Mr. Potter." Flitwick said, "I have something I want to try."

Harry and Hermione conferred briefly via their bond, then agreed. With nobody to formally start the fight, they all bowed, saluted, and then instantly flowed into their attacks.

The Potters had mobility unprecedented amongst duelists. They had three methods of instantaneous travel and Harry had been developing his ability to almost fly. They'd been working to duplicate Voldemort's true flight, but hadn't yet succeeded, despite extensive review of Pensieve memories and exhaustive research, however they hadn't stopped developing what they could.

Alex and Dumbledore both attacked simultaneously, attempting to coordinate to quickly defeat the young couple. Meanwhile, Flitwick began a long, complicated incantation accompanied by the inscription of glowing runes in the air. As a half-goblin, he shared that race's natural abilities with wards and had been trying to craft anti-apparition wards to prevent House Elf apparition and Phoenix flame travel.

A red-gold flaming whip shot out from Dumbledore's wand, quickly stretching almost the entire width of the room as it lashed out towards Harry and Hermione. Alex fired a chain of ice bolts, thinking that whatever spell the Potters used to defend against Dumbledore's dramatic flame attack might be weak against the opposite.

Harry and Hermione disappeared, blinking into existence at random spots around the room, firing off a few attacks and apparating away again. Harry continued to prefer his combination piercing curse with a powerful and tightly concentrated blasting curse right behind it. His theory was that the focused piercing curse would open up holes in defenses allowing the explosive energy of blasting curse, packed into a bead the size of a grain of sand, to penetrate and explode. It worked well in testing and had become something of a trademark of his. Hermione had continued to develop her black hole attack and her wand continually spit out the deadly black dots. The micro gravity defects only existed for an instant, but even as small and short-lived as they were, they were powerful. Wizards had developed shields against many different attacks, but were completely ignorant of science and while the common shields protected against the attacks, they were designed not to affect gravity or Wizards would lose their attachment to Earth and so were much less effective. One danger of her trademark spell was the danger to the Potters. As mobile as they were, they had to remain aware of the location of all the micro defects in space or they could hurt themselves by apparating too close to one. Given their perfect coordination, they were able to do it, but they had to be very careful.

Dumbledore's attack was equally deadly, magical fire concentrated into the caliber of a wire would cut most targets in half. He liked fire attacks, because his bond with Fawkes strengthened his ability with the element. He hadn't yet realized that their shared bond with Hedwig provided the Potters with equal ability and protection, which was magnified by their own Phoenix nature. The two ignored their advantage, though. They hadn't tested how much protection they might have and despite the dueling wards didn't want to risk it. Dumbledore was immensely powerful and they might be hurt no matter how protected they were. Furthermore, Voldemort might use a similar attack with a different energy. He'd already used a sword made of pure void, something akin to Hermione's black holes. A whip out of something similar wouldn't be impossible. Learning to avoid whatever was used was the best training.

Alex's ice bolts shrieked through the air, initially aimed at his opponents' initial positions, but soon flying randomly out trying to hit the rapidly disappearing and reappearing Potters.

Harry and Hermione had shared all their thoughts and memories when they completed the bond, including the most trivial. Hermione brought a lot to their partnership. A lifelong love of reading and an eidetic memory provided Harry with a wealth of experience he'd lacked given his isolation in the Dursleys. His isolation had developed his natural imagination and he was a incredible intuitive thinker and really brilliant at thinking outside of the box, which had started as he had to think 'outside the cupboard' just to maintain his sanity. Their talents and abilities combined were much more powerful than either one apart.

None of the Wizards had ever read science fiction. None of them had seen footage of the American space program. Many Wizards played Quidditch and it helped them develop some sense of maneuvering beyond the two dimensions inherent to walking on the ground, but after graduating from school and leaving the Quidditch pitch, most forgot what they learned and few ever generalized it to other pursuits, such as dueling.

None of them had ever read Orson Scott Card, never read Ender's admonishment to his troops that the enemy's gate was down. None of them ever understood what he was saying as instinctively as Harry did when he'd reviewed Hermione's memories. Direction was relative. It was pretty important due to the presence of gravity, but with magic that wasn't an absolute.

Harry continued to apparate around the room, randomly appearing and disappearing while launching SPEARs and later alternating with Black Hole attacks at Dumbledore, Flitwick, and Dimitriov. He tried to move so fast they wouldn't notice he was now alone. Hermione, after developing a pattern of the same, disappeared and reappeared upside down on the ceiling, reorienting her personal gravity with a spell developed using the same concepts she'd used with the Black Holes. She stood stable right over her opponents and rained spells 'down' on them. Not used to looking up, the older Wizards never noticed her. Their defenses were all oriented to block attacks from others standing on the floor, leaving gaps at the top.

Alone, Harry was soon becoming overwhelmed despite his incredible mobility. The volume of attacks the two older Wizards could generate were causing numerous close calls as he popped around the room and only his innate reflexes and incredible reaction time saved him. However, the attacks were quickly cut off as a solid stream of Black Holes fell from above. Even with the dueling wards, Dumbledore, Flitwick, and Dimitriov were thrown around by the complex forces generated from the interactions of the gravity wells and Hermione had to cancel her spells to prevent them from being seriously hurt.

She apparated back to the floor, reversing her own 'down' as she appeared next to Harry. They quickly conferred, realizing their plan had worked.

"Unhhh…" Alex groaned, gaining his feet first, as the youngest and most athletic of the Potters' opponents, "What did you hit me with?"

"You didn't see?" Harry asked, holding his hand out to help the man up.

Alex shook his head.

"Then maybe we'll just keep it to ourselves for a bit." Harry said, smirking, "If we keep giving away our secrets, how are we going to keep up with your experience? There's only so many new tricks we can invent."

"Really?" Dumbledore said, staggering to his feet, "I had not noticed you had run into any limits. I hope you recall I have access to a Pensieve. I might not have seen what you did, but I am sure I can puzzle it out with more review."

"Then I wouldn't want to ruin it!" Harry chuckled, "Please do. Think about it and let us know how Riddle will counter our tactics."

Albus nodded, "I will put Ronald to work as well."

"Good night, Headmaster." Hermione said, pulling on her husband, "Thank you for the training."

The two young people left the room, hand in hand.

"Am I wrong to feel the smallest bit of sympathy with Tom?" Dumbledore asked, almost to himself.

"Yes." Flitwick said, baring his sharp teeth, "He will be put down like a murdering dog. I want the fight to be so uneven, Harry spends days recovering from the surprise of how easily Voldemort went down."

Dumbledore shook his head, "I understand and second your thought, but I was one of his teachers. None of us can afford to underestimate Riddle. The Potters are the only students who even compare to his level of brilliance and he has had years more to develop his abilities. We must continue to train them, because even now I fear for their life if they have to come against Voldemort without us to help."

H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr

June 7

At dinner, the examiners arrived at Hogwarts. Hermione's face didn't display her nervousness, but Harry could tell it was only her mastery of occlumency that kept it from her face.

'You weren't this nervous when we were fighting in the Ministry.' Harry sent over the bond.

Hermione glanced over at him and huffed. Harry smiled affectionately at his bride and gently rubbed her arm. He felt her tension slowly resolve under his touch and mental reassurance.

"I just want to do well." She whispered back.

He nodded.

"I know. You'll do brilliantly. I bet you set records." Harry said confidently.

Hermione rolled her eyes at her husband, but he could feel that she appreciated his support. She could feel how sincere he was and how much he believed in her.

Ron barely looked up from stuffing his face. Neville looked a little nervous, but he had set standards low and his growing confidence told him he was likely to vastly exceed them. He wanted to impress his Gran, but he was sure he would be able to. She was still thrilled by his role in the fight at the Ministry and her letters were filled with obvious pride. He also wanted to impress Ginny, who was quite academically talented for a blossoming Quidditch star. He understood deep down, though, that his girlfriend wouldn't be disappointed no matter how he did as long as he gave it his all. With how hard he had studied, he thought there was no doubt he had done that.

H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr

June 8

Harry finished writing and put his quill aside. He could hear Hermione's nib continued to scratch its way across her parchment, which hung off her desk in a long roll. She was nothing but thorough and he could feel her utter absorption in her task. He had easily generated strong answers for all the questions. Just like he'd thought, they'd over studied. The questions on the test were so much simpler than what Hermione had prepared them for that it felt almost anticlimactic.

Once Hermione finished writing, they both turned their rolls of parchment in to the examiner and walked out of the Great Hall.

'If you need to discuss the questions, I recommend doing it here in our head.' Harry sent, 'I'm afraid if you say it out loud you're going to scare the others.'

Hermione looked at him for a moment. 'Am I really that bad?'

'Not bad.' Harry reassured, 'But your idea of holes in your essays will be enough to scare the others, because they won't have even gotten close to mentioning the complicated issues you think are essential. They'll start to worry that your level of detail is what the examiners are looking for and they'll get anxious.'

Hermione examined her worries from Harry's vantage point. Despite their closeness, he did offer an 'outside' perspective and his viewpoint let her look at her concerns without the reason-killing fear she suffered when she looked from her own perspective.

She shook her head.

"No, I think I'm good." A huge smile broke across her face. "I'm good. I did well. I covered everything I meant to."

Her shoulders seemed to visibly lower as the tension left her body and a new spring entered her step. An old, old demon had been slain in her psyche. Hermione finally accepted her own ability and understood she had nothing to worry about.

"Maybe we could take a walk around the lake?" Hermione offered, "Once around and it'll probably be time for lunch."

"You don't need to study for the practical?" Harry offered, knowing how she was feeling, but understanding that expressing it would solidify what she felt.

"No." Hermione said brightly, "I'm ready."

They strolled around the lake, enjoying the warm sunshine. Tentacles waved above the surface, splashing a fine mist that left rainbows in their wake. Hedwig appeared, soaring above them, Fawkes chasing her. The two Phoenices flew complicated patterns while singing loudly. Hermione laughed, a sound of pure joy as she reveled in her sudden epiphany. Her academic anxiety was nothing compared to the evil influence of Harry's Horcrux, but its defeat was a significant event in the young Witch's life and she felt like a weight was lifted.

At lunch, Ron ate like he normally did, but after he'd devoured half a plate of food, he stopped, looking at Hermione.

"Herms, are you ok?" Ron asked.

"Fine, why?" Hermione asked, pausing from her description of the walk she was giving Luna and Ginny.

"I don't know." Ron said, "Something seems off…you haven't mentioned the test at all."

"No, I haven't." Hermione laughed, "Did you have a question about it? You don't usually like to dissect it afterwards."

"Nope." Ron shook his head vehemently, then looked at Harry, "What did you do to her?"

Harry smirked, "You really want an answer to that, Mate? The answer might embarrass you and that's if I stick to last night only."

Ron stuttered for a minute.

"You git, I mean what did you do that she's not talking about the test and how she forgot to account for the arithmantic variables as they pertain to Lenora's second law as it pertains to vanishing charms." Ron said.

Hermione laughed at him again, enjoying his discomfort.

"I finally realized I know the material and I don't have to worry about it." Hermione said, "I'm allowed to grow up, aren't I?"

Ron squinted at her carefully, looking as suspicious as Alastor Moody.

"Who are you and what have you done with Hermione?" Ron asked, causing everyone to laugh.

They finished lunch and went to the small room off the Great Hall where they'd wait to take their Charms practical. They were called for the test in small groups of four. Neville was called in first among their group of friends. He came out later, looking relieved. Harry and Hermione were called in together, as they'd been warned they would be.

"Professor Tofty is free, Mr. and Mrs. Potter."

The examiner introduced himself and they began, demonstrating the spells he asked for. They had discussed it in depth. They could perform the spell normally, silently, or wandlessly. Hermione had insisted they practice each of their spells until they could cast them by any of the three methods. Harry, however had initially demanded they not expose their full abilities, hoping to maintain at least a little advantage. They eventually realized though that after facing Voldemort, it wouldn't do any good. He'd seen what they could do and additional intelligence from their OWLs wasn't likely to change anything. After endless discussion, they'd agreed to perform the spells with the full incantation and wand movement, seeking to impress the examiner with the perfection of the wand movements and the clarity of their incantations. Then, they'd see if he'd be willing to let them do it silently for extra credit. During the discussion, Harry had agreed to use his holly wand instead of the Elder Wand. They both worried the Elder Wand could be recognized and Hermione thought its use would be cheating.

Once they'd finished the tasks the examiner had assigned, he was left looking at them wide-eyed.

"I have to say I have never seen students at your level." He said, reaching for each of their hands in turn, "I will have to tell Professor Flitwick how impressed I am! I'm not allowed to tell you your score, but I can assure you you'll be pleased."

H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr

June 9

At breakfast, Professor McGonagall called the Potters to the head table.

"Feeling well prepared today?" she asked, arching an eyebrow.

"Yes, Professor." Hermione said, smiling.

McGonagall let her normally stern expression relax, almost returning Hermione's relaxed smile.

"Good, good." McGonagall said, "As my apprentice, I expect you'll represent me well today, Mrs. Potter."

Hermione nodded, "Of course, Professor."

Professor McGonagall returned a brief nod, "Carry on then. Don't be late."

Their transfiguration test was a virtual repeat of the previous day. Harry finished his essay first, emphasizing concise over exhaustive. Hermione tended the other direction and wrote feet more than any other examinee, her work straying into mastery level transfiguration. She strove to avoid exposing the ideas she was developing to publish with Professor McGonagall, but short of that, her work was more typical of post-NEWT level mastery candidate writing than it was OWL level work. She cited current journals instead of dropping vague hints of ideas from the textbook. She turned her parchment in feeling nothing but confidence in her work.

Harry grabbed her in the hallway, giving her a Hermione-like hug.

"I'm so proud of you!" Harry said.

"We don't even know how I did yet!" Hermione protested.

Harry rolled his eyes at her.

"I could follow what you were writing. I think you may have developed a new direction for your work with McGonagall on that last prompt."

Hermione smiled back at him.

"I think you're right." She said, grinning.

They ate lunch and then took their Transfiguration practical, feeling just as confident as they had in Charms.

H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr

June 11

Thursday arrived with the Defense against the Dark Arts OWL exam. Harry wasn't sure how he felt. He was extremely confident, since he'd spent most of his time over the past year improving his Defense skills. However, he was also nervous, because he'd invested so much of his time, if he didn't do well, he'd be crushed. If the members of Dumbledore's Army didn't do well, he'd feel like he'd failed them. Umbridge had been a terrible teacher and had chosen a terrible textbook, so he felt like his work would be responsible for his friends' success or failure.

The written exam was straightforward. He indulged himself in a little bit of Hermione-ism and expanded his usual concise answers to show a little bit of the range of knowledge he possessed in the field. Afterwards, he felt confident. He'd known the answers to everything asked and generally could expound at length on the finer points brought up by the prompts.

The practical exam placed both Potters in front of the bald Professor Tofty again. They quickly demonstrated all the counterjinxes and defense spells both verbally and silently. Harry had practiced each of these spells so extensively that they were second nature. He felt that teaching them had further solidified his mastery, because he'd seen all the ways they could be mis-cast and all the inefficiencies that could creep in to otherwise competent wandwork.

"Oh, Bravo!" Professor Tofty cried after watching them both perform a flawless boggart banishing spell, "Very good, Potter. That is all…unless…I heard rumor that you could cast a Patronus? For a bonus point?"

Harry looked at Hermione and they agreed.

"Expecto Patronum!" they each cried in unison.

Harry was imagining Hermione walking towards him in her wedding dress. The love and happiness he felt filled him and, unsurprisingly, Prongs burst forward looking even more solid than ever before. He appeared taller, more muscular, and every hair in his coat seemed perfectly defined. He glowed a brighter white-silver than ever before and Harry felt that without the Horcrux interfering, the casting of the white magic spell was markedly easier.

Hermione's Patronus was the surprise. Instead of her usual otter, a brilliantly white doe sprang from the end of her wand. Standing shoulder to shoulder with Prongs, it was clear that the doe was a similarly powerful member of her species, not just a deer, but an uber-doe. She nuzzled Prongs who nuzzled back, recognizing his mate. The two cantered the length of the Great Hall and the palpable sense of positive energy cheered all the examinees, breaking the aura of nervousness that otherwise prevailed.

"Well done!" Professor Tofty cried, clapping his gnarled and veined hands together, "That is all, congratulations."

Harry and Hermione walked out together, mentally discussing the change of Patronus.

'I'm really not surprised.' Hermione admitted, 'While I'll miss my otter, does can also be fun-loving and clever. You have a connection to the stag through your father. I actually wondered if both our Patronuses would change to phoenices. It is quite common for the animagus form and the Patronus to coincide.'

'I wondered, too.' Harry said, 'I think ultimately I have a connection to Dumbledore through my animagus form, to Sirius by living with him and spending time with him, and my subconscious didn't want to let go of this connection to my parents.'

'Apparently our subconscious minds talk, because they both decided on the same form. ' Hermione said, 'How embarrassing it would have been if mine had switched to a doe and yours had switched to a phoenix.'

They continued talking mentally as they walked, but the one topic that never came up was their performance. They were both exceedingly aware of how well they'd done. They had almost underplayed their abilities and knowledge, painfully cognizant that their Defense abilities in particular would set them apart as unusual for their age. Both of them were very independent, though, and didn't care much for trying to act normal. Hermione had long been striving to do better than anyone thought she could and Harry had always been set apart as 'the boy-who-lived'. Neither thought they could change now and so didn't. Little did they know that their performance on the exams was one of the main topics of conversation amongst the examiners, at least when they weren't laughing at some of the horrendous mistakes some of the other fifth years made.

H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr

The rest of their exams had gone equally as well and Hermione had continued to move away from her previous neuroticism, making all of her friends much happier. This year seemed like a change of pace from previous years. The dramatic events had happened earlier, leaving the period around OWLs relatively calm and the period between the exams and the leaving feast almost boring.

Harry took advantage, scheduling a meeting with the Headmaster. He brought Ron and Hermione with him. The Headmaster had McGonagall, Snape, and Flitwick there with him.

"Headmaster, Professors." Harry said, inclining his head to each in turn, "Thank you for agreeing to meet with us. I wanted to discuss strategy."

"Strategy, Potter?" Snape hissed, "Not exactly your strong suit, is it? Aren't you going to stick with blindly blundering into danger since that does appear to be your forte?"

"Too true." Harry nodded, "That has to change, though. I can't afford to keep reacting. Voldemort's been quiet since our fight in the Ministry. I hope that means I hurt him a little. We all know it won't last, though. What do we do next?"

Ron nervously cleared his throat, glancing at the Headmaster. Receiving a nod, he spoke up.

"We've been talking about that. I think he'll pursue a two-pronged strategy. He'll continue to focus on you. Due to the prophecy, you're his weakness and he'll want to eliminate that. We're already preparing for that by preparing you. We'll keep you well guarded so if he does manage to attack you, you will have assistance.

"It's the second prong that I think you're referring to, though. The Death Eaters are essentially terrorists. They don't have huge numbers, but they also don't have fixed positions and can blend into the normal population when they're not acting. So they'll pursue standard assymetrical warfare guidelines. Hit unexpected targets to cause fear and unease. Try to infiltrate the government. Try to decapitate it by killing our leaders."

They all considered what Ron had said for a few moments.

"I have to say Weasley has summarized his plans fairly well." Snape said grudgingly.

"What leaders do you think he'll hit?" McGonagall asked.

"What leaders would we most hate to lose?" Hermione asked, "Those would be the ones he'd try to take out. Not Fudge, we'd never miss him, although his death might destabilize the government, Voldemort would have to worry we might elect someone more competent."

Dumbledore finally spoke.

"Ronald and I have been simulating this extensively." He said, his voice soft, but full of command, "There are certain leaders whose loss would be more significant than others. We have designated these as the key targets Voldemort will want to strike and we will want to protect. I am one, Professor McGonagall is another, Harry is another, but we have already discussed his protection. Amelia Bones in the DMLE is the most significant other, although the Head of the Auror office, Rufus Scrimgeour, would also be a significant loss. Kingsley Shacklebolt is growing in importance and depending on how the war progresses could ascend to this level. Arthur Weasley, despite his relatively modest position in the Ministry, has proven to be significant in the simulations, primarily because he has extensive respect within the Ministry and in a crisis could quickly take a leadership role."

"What do we do to protect them?" Harry asked.

"We do not have the manpower to guard all of them." Dumbledore replied, "We have decided the majority of the protection must center on you. The others will be given Portkeys to a secure location, which will be kept secret. Should they be attacked, they will trigger the Portkey and flee."

Harry nodded.

"Concerning the other typical assymetrical warfare targets, there is little we can do. Professor Dumbledore has warned Amelia Bones there may be attacks on prominent Wizarding areas, such as Diagon Alley or Hogsmeade. Auror patrols have been increased. Prominent light side families, such as my own, the Longbottoms, the Bones, and the Lovegoods have been warned to increase their wards and encouraged to set up Portkeys should they need to escape." Ron said, "Voldemort could still attack Muggle targets and there is nothing we can do to prevent it."

They took a few moments to digest what Ron had said.

"I think this is all we can do." Harry said, "We've got a plan and so we're not being completely reactive. I will continue to prepare. At some point, we must decide I'm ready and seek him out for the final confrontation. The longer we wait, the more prepared I will be, but conversely the longer Voldemort will have to pursue this assymetrical warfare you're talking about. How many losses are acceptable?"

"Should we decide it's time, I can tell you where he is." Snape said, "He keeps the snake by his side, so you will be able to strike both at once."

Harry gave a quick sharp nod to Severus in thanks.

"You have progressed far past the point I thought you would reach by this time." Dumbledore said, "I think you have more to do, though. There is an unacceptably large risk of failure, still, although we are vastly better off than we were a year ago."

"I don't disagree." Harry said, "He was a much stronger opponent than I could have imagined when I faced him in the Ministry. Any thought I had that he would fall like Quirrell did was destroyed that day, but I won't trade thousands of deaths for a few more months to prepare. If I see the opportunity, I will take it."

Dumbledore sighed. Harry was still Harry. Although his impetuosity was tempered by a new maturity and Hermione's calming influence, he was still brave to a fault and self-sacrificing beyond all reason.

They broke up, the children to bed, the adults to their rooms and thoughts that would keep them from sleep for many hours.

H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr

"Harry, Neville, I need to talk to you." Ron said one evening before they went to bed. He'd just been with Luna. He was clearly angry, his ears red, his eyes blazing, and his fists clenching and unclenching.

Harry walked up to him and put a hand on his shoulder.

"Sure, mate, what's up?"

Neville walked up beside them, quiet as he often was, but his face betrayed his feelings. Whatever needed to be done to back up his friends would be.

"It's about Luna." Ron said angrily, "The other Ravenclaws are picking on her. They've apparently been doing it since she got here. They've hidden her stuff. She wants to pack to go home, but she barely has half of what she came with. She wants to post a request for those who've found her missing items to return them. I want some heads to roll."

Neville cracked his knuckles. The big Gryffindor wasn't the pudgy anxious boy he'd been. Now, while he was still larger than average, it was all muscle. Far from being anxious, he was just anxious to avenge a friend.

Harry quickly conferred with Hermione via the bond. He could tell Ron wanted to keep this "among the boys", but he could no more fail to consult Hermione than he could think with just the right lobe of his brain.

"Ron, you're our tactician." Harry said, "I know you're mad. I'm mad, too. We have to channel that anger, though. We've got options. We could just go kick some peoples' arses, but it's probably mostly girls and we'll end up looking like bullies. We've got some friends in Ravenclaw now. Cho has been really cool since she's been dating Cedric. I think she'd help us if we asked."

Ron's expression changed from pure anger to cold, calculating anger.

"You're right." Ron said, "The twins would help, too."

Several days later, their plans had come together. There was little that couldn't be accomplished with an invisibility cloak, the ability to apparate anywhere in Hogwarts, the dedicated assistance of the House Elves, the two greatest pranksters in Hogwarts currently, the two greatest pranksters in Hogwarts' history as consultants, the Marauders' Map, the Elder Wand, and Hermione Potter nee Granger, the smartest witch of her age.

Luna posted signs several days before the leaving feast asking that her lost items be returned. Hermione had helped her write them and had added a line saying, "If the items are not returned by the leaving feast, there will be consequences. Please see Marietta Edgecombe if you want to see an example of prior consequences."

As soon as the notices went up, Marietta herself returned a stack of clothing to Luna. The pustules on her face shrank slightly. Otherwise, there was no response.

H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr

The leaving feast arrived. The Gryffindors had lost more points during Umbridge's reign than any other house, but had gained more than most through Hermione's scholarship and through their victory in the Quidditch cup, having defeated Ravenclaw in the final game.

Harry enjoyed the leaving feast. Married to his soul mate, freed from the Horcrux, having fought Voldemort to a draw in the Ministry and exposed his return, having found his Phoenix animagus form, and having been on the victorious Quidditch team… it had been a good year. He was looking forward to their revenge on those who'd bullied and teased Luna.

Professor Dumbledore finished with his announcements and suddenly there was a shriek from the Ravenclaw table. Several of the young ladies at the table were as nude as the day they were born. One of them was blessed with a quick boyfriend, who swiftly wrapped her in his own robes, however they just as swiftly disappeared. Another tried to wrap herself in the tablecloth, sending crockery crashing to the floor, but the cloth evaporated the moment it covered her skin.

Students at every other table were pointing and laughing. Colin Creevey, having been warned ahead of time, was quick with his camera, recording the chaos for posterity.

Eventually, learning nothing they did could cover themselves, the handful of young Ravenclaw women ran for Ravenclaw tower bare arsed, laughter following them all the way. Meanwhile, all the notices previously posted had changed. Now they read, "For the return of your ability to wear clothing, please return Miss Lovegood's missing items. Thank you, the New Marauders."

The group of friends walked laughing to the Room of Requirement, joined by George and Fred. Harry pulled out the Marauder's Map. The text on the front had changed. It now read, "Messrs. Moony, Padfoot, and Prongs with Messr Smoke and Madame Fire, Purveyors of Aids to Magical Mischief-Makers, are proud to present, THE NEW MARAUDER'S MAP".

They all laughed as they could see the missing Ravenclaws cowering in their dorm rooms.

"Who are Messr Smoke and Madame Fire?" George asked.

"The map never said that before." Fred said.

"Gentlemen, I heard a rumor that the Marauders never closed their membership." Harry said, "They wanted to see their legacy continued. The identity of any Marauder is a closely guarded secret, but apparently they're still recruiting."

"It's not too late?" Fred asked, wide-eyed.

"We could still be Marauders?" George continued.

Both boys stood and did a jig, dancing around like crazy men.

"This was our fondest dream from the moment we found the map." They said together.

The rest of the group laughed at them.

Luna soon had all of her own belongings and it quickly became apparent that nobody wanted to give her so much as a cross look for fear they would become the next target of the New Marauders. Having her clothing back was nice, but nothing compared to the warm glow the odd girl felt from knowing she had friends who cared enough to watch out for her.

H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr

A/N: So please be aware that I'm trying to follow JKR's calendar for events that are the same between our works, such as Quidditch matches. I'm utilizing the hard work seen on Harry Potter Lexicon, as they've already produced calendars for each book. However, they note that JKR is not completely consistent. In Order of the Phoenix, May 1st was a Friday, which I used. However in the actual year 1996 it was a Wednesday. The full moon was May 3rd, which was actually a Friday, but to be internally consistent, I keep it Sunday night, which also works better since if it were Friday Remus couldn't have come to their wedding.

I know Microsoft Word will merge changes between two versions of a document. I'm unsure whether this was possible in 1996, but don't care about that level of detail.

Since he wasn't charged with underaged magic, he didn't go to trial and his ability with a Patronus might not have reached Professor Tofty via Ogden. It might have still spread, though, particularly through all the members of the DA. Perhaps through Susan Bones to Amelia Bones and then to Professor Tofty? Who knows, but it reached the old examiner somehow…

As the story has taken on a life of its own, I realize there are some things that could easily be written in, but if I write them all, I'll never have time to finish the story. The Gryffindor/Ravenclaw match was a purposeful omission. More about Marietta's fate was another that I just touched on. The New Marauders initiation is touched on, but not clearly written.

Next chapter will start on Hogwarts train and will be a brief discussion of the summer. Things are rapidly progressing.