Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Duelist by Hawkins
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Duelist

Hawkins

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter. After all slavery is illegal!

Chapter 34: Who needs Badges?

Late June

Harry and Hermione were walking down the corridor of the Hogwarts Express. While their friends had gotten a compartment, they'd been occupied helping the first years stow their luggage and find their places on the train. Harry enjoyed seeing how happy the firsties were, a huge departure from the fear and nervousness he'd seen as they headed to Hogwarts almost a year ago.

He saw Draco Malfoy walking towards him going the opposite direction in the corridor. Their normally adversarial relationship had calmed down significantly after their duel, eventually coming to a negotiated truce. However, confrontations on the Express were something of a tradition for them and Harry found his fingers twitching ready to grasp his wand quickly if needed.

"Potter." Draco said neutrally as he approached them, "Gr…Potter." His lip actually curved upward slightly as he caught himself before calling Hermione by her maiden name and to Harry's complete surprise it seemed less sardonic than usual.

"Malfoy." Potter returned with a small nod, honoring the Slytherin's restraint.

"Have a good summer, Draco." Hermione said very quietly.

They walked on, finally seeing their friends saving a compartment.

Draco also continued down the corridor, stopping abruptly as a door opened and his progress was blocked by his former henchmen, Crabbe and Goyle.

"Draco, what was that?" Crabbe asked threateningly.

"Are you going soft?" Goyle added, "Potter got our fathers arrested. You could have hit him right then, especially once he had his back to you! We were here ready to help!"

Draco's look of complete disdain cast his features into the same arrogant mask Harry would have instantly recognized from the past 5 years.

"Oh, you were ready to help, were you?" Draco drawled, "With your dueling prowess, you would have helped me take on the best duelist ever seen at Hogwarts? You did see our fight, didn't you? Or did you not understand what you were seeing?"

"So you're a coward now?" Crabbe grunted, "The Dark Lord won't give a coward the Dark Mark."

"No?" Malfoy asked, his smirk growing, "I suppose Pettigrew is secretly a bastion of courage? Move out of my way. I don't know how I've put up with you morons for this long."

Accustomed to obeying Malfoy, the two goons shifted to let him past.

"Potter's just a half-blood and he married a Mudblood!" Goyle protested, "We should have stomped him into the ground!"

"You wouldn't have laid a finger on him." Draco said, "My last guidance for you…don't mess with Potter. You're not smart enough to understand how dangerous he's become."

Draco continued walking down the hallway, his body language seeming unconcerned about his former friends. Surreptitiously he dropped his hawthorne wand into his hand, keeping his movement masked by his robes. He was primed when Crabbe started the incantation for the stinging hex and whirled, casting a quick non-verbal shield and deflecting the white bolt, then returned fire with two full body binds, dropping his former friends to the floor of the Express. He glanced both directions down the hall, ensuring the thuds from their abrupt falls hadn't alerted anyone to his actions. Draco knelt near them.

"Just because I'm not fighting Potter at every turn…" he said coldly, "don't get the mistaken impression I'm a coward. A true Slytherin doesn't worry about name calling. And he doesn't let slights go unpunished."

He stood and locked eyes with each of his prior minions in turn, then with a short sharp movement kicked each of them in the groin, his patrician features in an unchanging bland expression and his eyes cold despite the sudden violence.

"Don't vomit or you'll likely choke to death. If you ever attack me again, you won't survive. Good day, gentlemen."

Draco straightened his robes and strolled down the hall, satisfied he'd made his point. He'd have to watch his back, but he was used to having Harry Potter, the boy-who-lived as an enemy. Crabbe and Goyle didn't even elevate his heart rate.

H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr

Harry and Hermione walked into the compartment to see their friends calmly sitting. Ron was chatting with Neville about Quidditch, urging the large boy to try out for beater next year. Luna was leaning against Ron's side, reading the most recent Quibbler upside down. Ginny was reading a Quidditch magazine and half listening to Ron's advice. She looked up first as the Potters walked in.

"Harry! Hermione!" Ginny squealed, "What took you so long?"

"The first years were running around like they were on a sugar high!" Hermione huffed, "It was like trying to herd cats."

"Is that a real career?" Luna asked absently, "I might have to reconsider journalism or naturalism if it is. Although I think I'd rather herd Kneazles or maybe Snorkacks."

"We also ran into Malfoy." Harry said blandly.

"Draco?" Ron asked, "Did you kick his arse?"

"No, he was actually really polite." Harry said, "I don't think we'll ever be friends, but our ceasefire seems to be holding."

"Ceasefire?" Ron snorted, "You could have killed him. He finally learned his lesson."

"Draco's no coward." Neville spoke up, "A bully maybe, but not a coward. I agree he learned his lesson, but I don't think he's just afraid."

Ron looked thoughtful. Neville had the ability to really make people think. He rarely offered an opinion, so when he did, his friends listened.

"You may be right, Mate." Ron said. He hesitated a moment and then cast some powerful privacy charms Harry wasn't even aware Ron knew. "I'll have to think about that. I've continued putting him into the 'enemy' category. If he's a neutral or even a potential ally, that could really change things. As big an arse as he is, he consistently proves significant in every simulation we've run. You wouldn't believe it, but in more than one simulation, he even ended up killing Dumbledore, which in some of them resulted in Voldemort's victory."

Everyone looked at Ron wide-eyed.

"Tell me you're kidding, Ron." Harry said flatly, "If this is a prank, it's not funny."

"Not at all." Ron said.

"You and I need to talk." Harry said, "You've gotten in close with Dumbledore and he's shared more with you than he thinks to tell me sometimes."

"Yeah, mate, whenever you want." Ron said, "I didn't even think about it. You know I'm your man."

Harry nodded, satisfied.

They changed the subject, Harry agreeing with Ron that Neville needed to try out for Beater.

"Nev, you've got the right build for it. You'd be a monster out there." Harry said, "I'm hoping we can build a team with this group as the core. I'll keep flying seeker, Ron can continue as keeper, Ginny as chaser. Now that Hermione's over her flying issues, she would also be a great chaser. If you pick up beater, then I've only got two more spots to fill. Knowing each other like we do, we'll be unstoppable."

"I don't know, Harry." Neville said with a trace of his former lack of confidence, "I'm getting better on a broom, but that doesn't say much. You know where I started out. You'll want to run tryouts and I don't know if I'll be good enough."

"Yeah, I'll run tryouts." Harry said, "And they'll be fair, so if you're not good enough, I won't pick you just because you're one of my best mates, but you are good enough. We want to do some more training on Black Isle this year. We'll work some flying into it and you'll be in good shape."

Neville nodded. In his mind, if Harry said it, that was the end. He was loyal to his core.

At the station, they noticed Aurors conspicuously present. Now that Voldemort's return was common knowledge, the Ministry was apparently taking security seriously. Sirius, Remus, Tonks, Mad Eye with his magical eye scanning for danger, Arthur and Molly Weasley, Augusta Longbottom in her vulture hat, and the Grangers were waiting in a small clump. Even though he hadn't lived with them for over a year, Harry's still felt a wave of happiness wash over him when he didn't see the Dursleys waiting for him.

Hermione ran to her parents, jumping on her father. Harry walked up more calmly.

"Hermione!" Oberon Granger cried out, surprised by Hermione's exuberance.

"Daddy!" Hermione squealed. Rather than seeming more mature since her marriage, Hermione was more relaxed, less concerned with trying to prove how grown up she was.

"Mum." Harry said, giving Jane Granger a firm hug.

"Harry!" Jane smiled at her son-in-law. Even if he hadn't already been so well loved in the Granger house, seeing how happy her daughter was would have enough to endear him to her mother.

After Hermione had finished trying to squeeze her father to death, they switched and Harry shook Oberon's hand while Hermione hugged her mother. The two women looked more like sisters then mother and daughter, Jane showing how beautiful Hermione would grow.

"Hey, pup!" Sirius said with a rakish grin, "Have a hug for your Godfather?"

"Of course!" Harry grinned back, hugging the older Marauder. Hermione hugged Remus, noticing how closely Tonks was standing and making a note to tease the man.

After all the greetings were done, they walked to Grimmauld Place. The London location was convenient to Kings Cross Station and everyone could Floo home afterwards. Eating dinner out was too dangerous now that Voldemort no longer had to hide. Mad Eye took the front, scanning carefully for hidden enemies. Tonks took the street side of the group, walking next to Remus. Sirius covered their side next to the houses, scanning windows for hidden enemies. Harry and Hermione took the back, extending their senses, particularly auramancy, out as far as they could to try to detect any Death Eaters that might try to sneak up from behind.

They reached Grimmauld Place after encountering no dangers. After making sure nobody was nearby, they hurried into the hidden house. As soon as the door closed behind them, it was a complete change in atmosphere. Kreacher was in the dining room, finishing the preparations for dinner. Dobby and Winky met them at the door with drinks and hors d'oeuvres.

"This is nice." Jane commented, taking a drink and a stuffed mushroom from the little Elves.

"Thank you, Missus Granger!" Winky said happily.

"I'll never get used to how happy they are to work so hard." Oberon commented.

"How else would we be?" Winky asked confused, "We is good Elves and working for our families is what we love to do!"

Oberon gave a very Hermione-like huff, shaking his head. Hermione had finally accepted that House Elves were not just little people, but their very own race with their own culture and desires. Once she'd accepted that, her need to try to fit them into her ideals grew less. She'd finally realized that just like she couldn't have lived like Molly Weasley but didn't need to try to fix her life, she couldn't live like Winky or Dobby but didn't need to fix their lives either. Her father was in the early stages of coming to that same realization, but he and Jane had done a good job of passing their ideals to Hermione, so shared her initial reaction and had to come to terms with something that went against it.

Throughout dinner, they discussed how the school year had gone and their plans for summer. They only lightly touched on the confrontation in the Ministry, because none of the students wanted their parents to worry any more than they already did so had each individually resolved to downplay it.

"So, Hermione, that Umbridge character you'd written us about got canned?" Oberon asked.

Hermione blushed slightly, deciding how to put it so she didn't highlight her own involvement.

"Yes, dad." Hermione said lightly, "It turned out she had broken some laws, so she went to Azkaban."

Sirius shuddered at the name of the Wizard Prison.

"Well done." Madame Longbottom said, "I am very proud of you children this year. Exposing that miscreant as well as facing You-Know-Who at the Ministry."

The students collectively held their breath. The topic they hadn't wanted to broach had come up.

"Thank you, Madame Longbottom." Harry said.

"Thank you, Mr. Potter." Augusta said, "Since he has grown closer to you, Neville has become just like his father. I am very proud."

"It was definitely not my doing." Harry said, smiling at his friend, who ducked his head, unused to being the center of attention, "He's been brave since I've known him. He faced down all of us first year when we were about to get into trouble, which won him the house points that pushed Gryffindor over the top in the House Cup competition."

Augusta smiled at her grandson.

"Well, he's always had potential, but I am so pleased to see him growing into it."

"I can't believe how you're all growing up!" Tonks said, looking from Harry to Hermione, "I haven't known you that long, but you're already married and one of the best duelists I've ever seen."

"We're proud of all of them!" Molly Weasley gushed, "We should have a graduation party for the twins at the Burrow very soon!"

"Oh, good idea!" Sirius said, with an evil grin on his face, "What are you two young men going to do with yourselves?"

"We're starting a business." Fred said.

"We've already got funding. We started with an initial investment from a private investor and that's been supplemented with a large sum from an investment company." George continued.

"With that money, we've been able to take a lease on a shop in Diagon Alley." Fred said.

"It's got a flat over it, which is good," George said, "because to get it fully running before most of the Hogwarts students go shopping later this Summer is going to take some heavy work."

"What about the rest of you?" Arthur asked, "Made any plans?"

"We'd like to have everyone back to the island." Hermione said, "We think another month of focused training will be very useful. Mad Eye has agreed to be our trainer again while Professor Flitwick catches up on his own projects."

"That sounds good." Sirius said, smiling hugely, "It'll be nice to have all of you around again. When do you plan to start?"

"Early August." Harry said, "Hermione and I want to look into some concerns around the Ministry first."

"The Ministry?" Arthur said, "Anything I can help with?"

"Mmmm…" Hermione thought, "Maybe. We thought Mad Eye or Tonks might help get us started. We need to talk to Amelia Bones, the Head of the DMLE."

"Amelia's an old friend of mine." Mad Eye grunted, "I could introduce you. I think she might actually be pretty pleased to get to talk to you."

"Better him than me." Tonks laughed, "I could get you in to see her, but she's my boss, not a friend."

"Thanks, Mad Eye." Harry said.

The Master Auror just grunted in reply, but he was pleased. He saw Harry as a bit of a protégé and anything that put him closer to the Auror Department made the old Auror happy.

After pudding, they broke up. Some drifted out into the sitting room, while some sat around the Dining Room. Molly tried to collect dishes, but quickly found herself empty-handed when the House Elves protected their prerogatives.

Fred, George, Harry, Hermione, Remus, and Sirius ended up in a quiet corner. Hermione silently cast a complicated privacy charm. Nobody would hear what they had to say.

"Fred, George," Harry said quietly, "I wanted to talk to you secretly."

"What's up, Harry?" the two twins said together, suddenly looking nervous.

"It's about that investment company and more…" Harry said, "what did you hear their name was?"

"There wasn't a name on the document we received from Gringotts." George said.

"It just said M.I.I." Fred continued, "Why, do you know something about it?"

"I'm just the messenger." Harry said, "M.I.I. stands for Marauder Investments Incorporated. "

"It was a good deal." George said.

"Even before we knew it was the Marauders!" Fred continued.

"No way was anyone else going to front five thousand galleons with no security other than a small percentage stake in the company. Because we promised you a thirty three percent stake in the company, we weren't comfortable giving them any more than fifteen, so we could maintain control. They accepted." George continued, "No offense, but that's insane!"

"The Marauders have kept up with your accomplishments." Harry said, "We have all worked with them in some form or another. They want you to know they're interested in more than just the company. They're interested in you joining them…if you meet the requirements."

The twins looked at Harry wide-eyed. It was like he'd offered them the chance to work with Santa Claus.

"Whatever it takes!" Fred said.

"Tell us!" George added.

Harry slipped them a book. They looked at it, but it was blank. They looked up at Harry like he was playing a prank, but then looked back at the book, a knowing look on their face. Despite their lack of academic distinction, the Weasley twins were really frighteningly intelligent. Their priorities were just different from Bill's or Percy's, the two most accomplished Weasley sons.

"I solemnly swear I am up to no good." Fred said, touching his wand to the cover. Gilt letters on the brown leather cover filled in to read, "The Marauder's Guide".

"This book tells you the requirements." Harry said, "Don't lose it. If anyone but the two of you touches it, it will burst into flame and you will never again be offered consideration."

"Mischief managed." George said, touching his wand to the book. The letters disappeared.

"Brilliant!" the twins said together.

"They know you're going to be busy." Harry finished, "Getting your business up and running is your priority, but take a look at the book when you have a chance."

"Oh, we will, Harry!" Fred said.

"Thank you for the investment and giving us this opportunity!" George finished.

"No problem." Harry said, "Like I said, they've been impressed with your work. Good luck with the business."

"Thanks!" the twins said, hurrying off to continue their preparations.

The New Marauders looked at each other and laughed. Sirius and Remus had inducted Harry and Hermione once they'd developed their animagus forms. They'd named Hermione "Madame Fire" for her Phoenix form and Harry "Mr. Smoke" for his darker colored Phoenix form. They thought it was funny, saying, 'Where there's smoke, there's fire." The Potters thought it could have been much worse, so they hadn't complained.

"Do you think they'll master the animagus transformation?" Sirius asked.

"Are you kidding?" Hermione asked, starting to say something before he interrupted her.

"No, I'm always Sirius." The dark haired prankster said dryly.

Remus groaned, used to the long running word play.

Hermione put her hands on her hips and gave a huff. "As I was going to say, I bet they'll have mastered it before the shop opens in late summer. Those two may seem like jokers, but it's their way of dealing with being much too smart for their own good."

"You would be the expert on that." Harry chuckled.

"Well, my way of dealing with it is one option." Hermione said, "Being a swot with her nose in a book is maybe a bit cliché, but it worked. Bill, Percy, Remus, and your mother all went that way, too. You, the twins, your father, and Sirius found another way to deal with it. I think if you looked, the class clown is often brighter than average, they just channel it differently."

Remus was smiling at the young Witch his adopted nephew had married.

"Your perceptiveness is yet another reason I still think I was right to call you the smartest witch of your age, Hermione."

"Thank you, Moony." Hermione said affectionately. From the polite and deferential student to teacher relationship she'd originally adopted when he was her professor, she'd developed a more familial relationship with the somewhat melancholy older man as he'd settled into Harry's life on a more permanent basis. That relationship seemed to be on his mind as well and his face fell from the smile to a grimmer expression. Somehow, as if she sensed she was needed, Tonks had drifted over, somehow circumventing the slight repelling charm built into Hermione's privacy charms. Tonks rubbed Remus' shoulder, showing more familiarity than the Hogwarts students had yet seen between them.

"Go ahead, Remus." She softly urged.

"Harry, I need to say something." Remus began hesitantly, "Sirius and I talked and we both recently started seeing Mind Healers at St. Mungos. It has helped, but it also made me realize I need to directly address something with you. I've been hesitant, as if by ignoring it, it would somehow go away, but I now realize it won't. I…I failed you. Sirius was your official Godfather, but I was a Marauder, too. I know your dad would have expected me to take over for Sirius if something had happened to him. So when it did, I should have. I managed to convince myself that you were better off without me. I was so ashamed of myself as a werewolf and for not seeing the traitor within the Marauders, that I thought it would be best if I just disappeared. I didn't check on you before I did. If I had, I would have learned how bad the Dursleys were and I swear I wouldn't have left you with them. I am so sorry. I betrayed my duty as a Marauder, as a member of your family, and I can barely live with myself for that failure."

Harry looked at one of his father's two best friends, his defenses down as he beat himself for his errors. Harry didn't know how to feel. Remus was right. Because of his mistake, Harry had grown up abused and unloved. As much as he wanted to just forgive, he had really suffered. At the same time, he could understand how Remus felt with all the stigma as a werewolf. The Marauders had imploded, with James and Lily dead, Sirius thought to be a traitor, and Peter thought to be dead as well. Moony had been the last of the Marauders and had decided Harry was better off without him.

"Moony," Harry started, his voice breaking and on the verge of tears, "you're right. It sucked. I really needed someone and I didn't even know you existed. I forgive you, though. I know you didn't do it on purpose. You didn't know about the Dursleys. There have been times I wanted to hate Dumbledore and wanted to blame you and Sirius for letting him get away with it, but I know him and I know you. None of you would have let me stay in that situation if you'd known."

Remus shook his head, unable to speak without breaking down.

Sirius gathered his strength, laying his hand on his Godson's shoulder.

"I owe you as big an apology as Moony does." Sirius said, uncharacteristically somber, "I've always been rash and I was so angry that Peter had betrayed James that I focused on destroying him, thinking I could come take care of you once I'd settled matters with him. I never anticipated what would actually happen. I promised your father, my best friend, I would take care of you if anything should happen to him. I failed both of you."

Harry could understand Sirius' plight better, because there was almost no way he could have anticipated what would happen. He should have realized if he'd died chasing Peter, he wouldn't be there for Harry, but Peter was easily underestimated and it would have been much easier dealing with him immediately than trying to pick up a cold trail later.

"Both of you made mistakes." Harry said, "I forgive you both on one condition…"

He looked both of them in the eye.

"You have to spend the rest of your lives making up for the time we missed. You're my family now. Eventually Hermione and I will have our own family and you have to be there to be their favorite uncles. Neither of you is allowed to die nobly trying to atone for these mistakes, do you understand me? I need you alive. We're the Marauders. We're a family."

The two older Marauders nodded, smiles creeping onto their faces. Harry hugged each of them in turn. After he'd hugged Moony, he noticed Tonks squeezing the older man's shoulder.

"So what's with this?" Harry asked with a mischievous grin, "Something you two haven't told us?"

Tonks hair fluctuated wildly through a rainbow of colors. Remus looked down and Sirius chuckled at the both of them.

"I don't know if you know," Sirius said, "Tonks is one of my cousins. Her mother was one of three sisters, Bellatrix, Narcissa, and Andromeda Black. We all grew up together. At some point, Tonks decided she liked this mangy wolf. I've given her my blessing to date this miscreant and she managed to beat his self esteem problem out of him enough that he could allow himself to enjoy her company."

"Well, I have to admit," Harry said, "even as young as I am, I've experienced how much the love of a good woman can make the difference. Over the last two years I feel like I've gone from completely at the mercy of fate to having at least some influence over my own life. I attribute it all to Hermione. So I wish you luck, Moony."

"Thanks, cub." Moony said quietly, cuffing his quasi-nephew on the shoulder.

"Men!" Hermione said, sniffling. She grabbed Tonks and gave the young Auror a hug, causing her to squeak.

"Ok, all the Marauder business concluded?" Sirius asked, looking from face to face. The handsome Head of the Black family had assumed the mantle of the leader of the Marauders now that Prongs was gone.

They all nodded and Hermione cancelled the privacy charms.

H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr

Harry found himself back in the Ministry, facing Antonin Dolohov over Hermione's prostrate body. He felt his magic respond to his anger, flaring to levels he'd never felt before, his emotion pushing it higher and higher. The ruthless, likely psychotic Wizard was smiling at Harry, confident the boy would break after seeing his love fall. Instead, Harry lashed out with his magic, without wand, incantation, or even formal spell in mind and Dolohov's head exploded. Harry felt a grim satisfaction and even joy. Now that he'd felt how to harness his rage and his magic in that way, it didn't seem that hard. Some perverse part of him that somehow seemed centered in the scar on his forehead seemed to even rejoice in this new found power. He glared around the room and a handful of Voldemort's other followers fell, their heads bursting at a look from Harry. Bellatrix looked at him, stunned that this boy had just killed so many Death Eaters. She started to turn to run, but Harry reached out with his magic faster and she was torn to pieces. Harry felt laughter bubbling up from his throat as mad rage completely consumed him. He moved through the Ministry, killing every Death Eater he met. Finally, he faced Voldemort.

"Ah, Harry Potter." Voldemort said, his aristocratic manner in conflict with his snakelike features, "We meet again."

Harry struck out again, a giant burst of magic flying from his roiling core without need of wand or incantation. Voldemort managed to deflect it, but the arrogant confidence seemed to depart. Before the Dark Lord could strike back, Harry had sent another burst of pure spite and another. Voldemort barely managed to parry each one and only due to his peerless wand work, the pale wand held loosely in long fingers. Instead of feeling weaker as he continued to pour out magic, Harry felt stronger and stronger, as dark power filled him. His next blast smote the pretender Lord, knocking him to the ground.

"No," Voldemort said, his voice quivering as he strove to speak through broken ribs, "join me! I'll teach you true power. You'll join me in immortality as my disciple and we will rule the world."

"Oh?" Harry asked, "If I join you, what will you give me? You offer me power?"

"Yes, I'll give you power!" Voldemort gasped.

"Offer me money." Harry hissed.

"I'll give you money!" Voldemort groveled, "All that Malfoy owns and all the Ministry sends me!"

"Offer me my parents lives back." Harry said, "Give me Hermione."

Voldemort's eyes grew wide, before he burst into flames, Fiendfyre assuming the form of a basilisk wrapped around him. A spirit tried to rise out of the burning, but Fiendfyre destroyed everything and even that was consumed.

Dumbledore walked up beside Harry.

"You did it, my boy, you did it!" Albus said, his eyes sparkling.

"I did." Harry said flatly, "But I'm not your boy."

He turned to the Headmaster, the Fiendfyre leaping from Voldemort to Dumbledore, surprising the defeater of Grindelwald. Albus went for his wand, but his fingers were gone before he could grasp it. He barely had time to gasp out, "Why?"

"You think I will ever forgive you for the Dursleys?" Harry asked, watching as his mentor burned.

He turned to see Fudge appearing from the Floo as Ron, Neville, Ginny, and Luna appeared out of the elevators.

"What's happening here?" Fudge asked.

"Attention seeking, Minister." Harry said coldly, letting his lips curve upwards slightly as the Fiendfyre basilisk leapt to the inept Minister.

"Harry, you can't do this, Mate!" Ron cried out.

"No?" Harry asked, "I would have listened to you, once. Perhaps before you left me during the TriWizard tournament. Now? Burn, Ron, burn."

He incinerated Ron Weasley, taking out the others, too, for good measure. After all, Neville was the other choice for the prophecy. There would be no threats remaining for the next Dark Lord.

Harry threw his head back and laughed.

He woke up sitting bolt upright in bed, screaming. Hermione was stroking his back.

"Harry!" she cried, "What's wrong?"

"Oh, Merlin!" Harry gasped, "It was a nightmare. It was terrible. You were killed at the Ministry and I went mad. I killed all the Death Eaters, killed Voldemort, but then killed Dumbledore, Fudge, Ron and the others."

"Oh, Harry!" Hermione said, looking aghast, "Have you been using your occlumency? Maybe you're losing your mind. I think we'll need to restrain you somehow, perhaps bind your magic. I'm afraid your connection to Voldemort unhinged you before we could cleanse it."

Harry looked at her in shock. What was she saying? Then he remembered the broom in third year. She always believed she knew best and when she thought he would disagree, she would just go behind him to make sure he didn't have the chance. She was the only Witch strong enough to challenge him. If she chose to side against him, he wasn't sure he would win. He summoned the Elder Wand to his hand.

"Avada kedavra!" Harry incanted, hitting Hermione with the sickly green bolt. He saw her eyes go blank as she fell back on the bed. He threw his head back and laughed, his only true threat neutralized.

He woke up screaming. He heard another voice, both in his ears and in his mind also screaming. He looked around frantically and saw Hermione, her brown curls plastered to her head with sweat, her eyes wide as if she'd just seen something horrific.

"Harry?" she asked fearfully, "Harry, what was that?"

He couldn't speak. He wasn't sure where he was or what was happening. Finally, his mind seemed to drag itself from the nightmare and he realized.

"It was just a dream." He said, "It was just a dream." He repeated as if to convince both of them.

"I dreamed Dolohov killed me and you went mad, killing everyone." Hermione said, "Then I thought we both woke and I realized I had just seen your nightmare, but then you hit me with the Killing Curse and I died!"

Harry nodded, "I dreamed that, too." Tears were running down his cheeks. "I would never hurt you, Hermione!"

"Oh, Harry." Hermione said, pulling him to an embrace, "I know you wouldn't. I'd never try to lock you up, either. If you go crazy, I'll find a way to fix you. I won't try to imprison you."

They both panted, their heart rates slowly returning to normal. Nightmares were much rarer with their mastery of occlumency, but given the horrors they'd seen, not even mastery completely protected their minds from their own fears. Only the most traumatized master occlumens still experienced nightmares. They were both sure Severus still woke screaming some nights. Who knew what fears and regrets woke Dumbledore from sleep? They both remembered him talking about his sister when they'd discussed the Resurrection Stone, maybe that was his greatest burden.

Once they'd settled enough to do anything other than breathe, Hermione pulled her nightgown over her head while Harry wiggled out of his boxers. They didn't even have to talk to realize they wouldn't easily go back to sleep and seeking comfort in physical contact seemed a good idea. They came together, legs intertwining and clammy skin growing damp from healthier sweat. They finally fell asleep after several climaxes washed away their lingering unease.

H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr

The next morning they woke, somewhat the worse for wear, but far better than they would have been if it weren't for their recuperative powers as phoenices. A quick shower and clean clothes left them feeling almost back to normal. Breakfast and coffee would probably fix any remaining problems. They walked down to the kitchen to test that theory. Both were surprised to find Moody already sitting at the breakfast table, carefully casting detection spells at his breakfast.

"Oh, you're up." He said, "I came by to tell you Amelia will meet with you this morning at ten o'clock."

"You had to come by?" Harry asked.

"You recommend I trust the Floo?" Mad Eye asked, his magical eye rolling as it searched the room for dangers.

"Of course not." Harry said, glancing at Hermione with a shrug.

They ate breakfast in silence, entertained watching Mad Eye cast more detection spells at his porridge than most Wizards likely knew. He was paranoid, but it had kept him alive longer than any other Auror of his caliber. He'd been Amelia's senior partner when she'd been a young Auror and he'd trained most of the current Aurors. Learning from him was a blessing that might make the difference between death and survival in the conflict against Voldemort.

After breakfast, Harry was looking in his wardrobe. Sirius had knocked down a wall between Harry's room and Hermione's room, creating one large suite, effectively a second master suite for Grimmauld place. There was one small room off it that Harry hadn't been able to figure the purpose of. When he'd asked Hermione, she'd blushed.

"It's the nursery, Harry."

"Nursery?" Harry had asked, "Why would we need a nursery?"

"We don't!" Hermione hissed, "Yet! You have said you'd like children someday, though!"

"Oh, of course." Harry said, "Oh, I see. Ok, so it's for the future."

"Yes, Harry." Hermione said, exasperated that despite every influence she'd had on him, Harry was still very much a clueless male, "Sirius is obviously hoping we'll live with him forever, so he built a nursery into our suite."

"Well, that was considerate." Harry said.

Now he was trying to decide what to wear. What did you wear to talk to the Head of the DMLE?

"Here, Harry." Hermione said, reaching past him for one of his nicer robes. Not the nicest, but an Acromantula silk set with the Potter crest embroidered on the breast. She put on a matching set, then carefully brushed her hair, taming the almost uncontrollable mass.

Once Harry was dressed, Hermione looked him over. He was wearing silver wire framed round glasses that were almost his trademark. Since his Phoenix transformation, his eyes had somehow healed until he found he didn't need the corrective lenses anymore. Hermione had quietly transfigured the glass to a neutral lens, saying it was another surprise that might help them someday. She nodded her head, satisfied with his appearance.

"Well, do I look ok?" she asked.

"You look beautiful as always, Hermione." Harry answered.

"Oh." Hermione said, "Well, good." She kissed him lovingly, happy with his answer. They walked downstairs to the Floo.

"Ministry of Magic!" they said together, throwing in powder and stepping forward in unison.

They checked in at the front desk, were given visitor badges, and led to Amelia Bones' office. As the Head of a major department, she had a large office, with a secretary's office opening to the hallway and her own office opening off of it. They checked in with her secretary and then sat to wait. They didn't sit long before Madame Bones herself came out to get them.

"Mr. and Mrs. Potter." The no-nonsense woman said, "Please, come in."

They followed her in.

"Master Auror Moody said you'd like to speak with me." Madame Bones said, "There aren't many people he'd do that for. Since I wanted to speak to you both anyway, I was happy to arrange it."

"Thank you, Madame Bones." Hermione said, taking the lead for them, "There is so much we want to speak to you about. We weren't sure how to set up a meeting. We appreciate your time. First, we had discussed allying House Potter with some of the other old light-side houses. Bones, of course, is amongst the first rank and so we had hoped you might consider such an alliance. We're good friends with Susan and I'm sure she'd be willing to vouch for us."

Amelia Bones looked at Hermione through her monocle and the young Witch felt a ghostly touch of legilimency brush against her shields. Hermione turned the probe aside without thinking about it, arching an eyebrow at the Head of all the Ministry's law enforcement. Amelia's eyes widened, surprised at the strength of the rising sixth year's shields.

"Moody said you'd surprise me." Madame Bones said, "He was right. Susan has mentioned your friendship. She says she thinks it's only your teaching that kept her on track for her DADA OWL. The House of Bones would be happy to renew our alliance with the House of Potter."

Harry inclined his head. "The House of Potter is delighted, Madame. Thank you."

"What else?" Bones asked.

"There have been disappearances among the professional duelists." Hermione said, "We think Voldemort's involved, but we don't know where to begin. We thought we might somehow be able to speak to the Aurors who are investigating."

Now Madame Bones truly stared at the Potters.

"Well, you are quite a surprise. We doubted anyone put that together, yet. Most of the circuit spends most of their time traveling and might not be heard from for months at a time. We've only recently decided there was a single person or group responsible for all the disappearances, yet two Hogwarts students show up and say they've already realized this and think they know who? Remarkable. It validates one of the reasons I wanted to meet with you today. Let me explain and we'll come back to your mystery.

"Recruiting is one of the most important responsibilities for senior Aurors. You may not have seen it, yet, but there's strong competition for the best and the brightest from Hogwarts. For example, we would have loved to have gained Bill Weasley, but Gringotts snatched him from us. Percy Weasley was up for consideration, but went elsewhere within the Ministry, which I now think was a good choice for him, as he's too bureaucratic to really do well as an Auror. We were thrilled to get Tonks. Cedric Diggory is the current prize. Advanced word from the examiners is that his DADA score is going to be remarkable..."

"You have access to the scores already?" Hermione squeaked.

A stern look from Madame Bones quickly settled the young Witch.

"Sorry, momentary relapse." Hermione muttered.

"Well, usually this type of jockeying for promising recruits doesn't happen until their seventh year…" Amelia said, "but the jewel of all jewels from Hogwarts was thought to be one Harry Potter, boy-who-lived."

Harry made a face at the hated nickname, earning a smile from Madame Bones.

"Ah, I see you don't like your nickname, Mr. Potter?"

"No, I hate it." Harry said, "I don't want to be known for something I don't remember and that simultaneously reminds me my parents did NOT survive."

"I can see that." Amelia said, "Well, as I was saying, everyone thought you would be the grand prize of recruits since James and Lily Potter who were the top prizes since Albus Dumbledore. Not many will admit that one Tom Riddle was also a fought-over commodity and fewer still remember he would later become Voldemort.

"However, after your first few years, your star was quickly rivaled by one Hermione Granger, who somewhere picked up the sobriquet 'smartest witch of her age', perhaps from one of her Professors? It was thought the Aurors might get Mr. Potter while St. Mungos was planning to battle for Miss Granger with the Department of Mysteries, who live up to their name with nobody knowing how they recruit.

"Now, with your academic record growing to almost match hers, you two are thought of together. Every serious employer from Quidditch to Gringotts to every department here at the Ministry will fight to win you. Personally, I think the Department of Magical Law Enforcement can make a better offer than any of them, so I'm happy to meet with you, so I can see if you're everything you're cracked up to be and pitch our offer."

Harry and Hermione exchanged a glance. They'd hoped to dig into this mystery a little, but had found themselves being recruited for post-Hogwarts careers two years prior to graduation.

Hermione opened and closed her mouth a few times, but Harry found his voice first.

"Ok, pitch." Harry said calmly.

Madame Bones arched an eyebrow at him and then laughed.

"I could bluster and say we're still trying to figure out if you're all your reputation suggests, but you'd know I was lying. I've heard from Auror Tonks and Master Auror Moody how good you are with a wand and I HAVE heard hints from the examiners that you proved that in your recent exams. Harry is descended from a long line of successful Aurors, including his father who was considered a rising star when he was killed. You are definitely candidates we're interested in.

"We've talked to your Professors and others who know you well. We think an offer to be a routine Auror is doomed to failure, because it's not the right job for you. Instead, we've discussed it with the Department of Mysteries and Gringotts. We'd like to offer you the chance to come into the Auror academy directly after graduation. You would receive training as an Unspeakable with the Department of Mysteries and as a Curse Breaker with Gingrotts. Then you would function as special agents for use in cases where your particular skills and talents were called for."

Harry and Hermione wondered what sources of information the Head of the DMLE had, since her offer had been almost verbatim what they'd thought they would enjoy.

"This offer will be extended to you so long as you qualify for each of these positions on their own and are willing to submit to the confidentiality oaths the Department of Mysteries require."

Hermione had finally engaged her formidable intellect and she was ready to bargain for what she wanted.

"We're intrigued." Hermione said, "We want some sort of semi-official intern status now with access to the resources of the Auror Department and the Department of Mysteries."

Madame Bones sat back, surprised by the counter offer.

"We can't do that." She said, "There has never been anything like that offered to an Auror candidate and the Department of Mysteries would never consider it. Their secrecy is so complete that nobody even knows who is an Unspeakable unless they're in one of the few public positions."

"Then perhaps we'll just pay for similar training and do it freelance." Hermione said dismissively, "I thought the resources of the Ministry were the only really attractive portion of the offer. There's probably more money in doing it outside of the Ministry."

"Outside of the Ministry?" Bones asked, "There is no such thing!"

"Really?" Hermione said, "There's no such thing as a Private Investigator in the Wizarding world? Or a Protection Specialist? A freelance Curse Breaker? If they don't currently exist, we'll be able to make even more money by inventing them."

Madame Bones' mouth opened and closed as if she were trying to imitate a goldfish.

"Very well. I'll need to talk to my counterpart in the Department of Mysteries, but if I can arrange it, I will. For now, I'm willing to offer you the intern positions you requested in the Auror Department. You'll have to swear confidentiality oaths that you won't reveal what you learn. I'll even have intern badges made for you."

The two Potters conferred via their link and quickly decided to accept the offer.

"Good!" Bones said, "This will help if you have to kill Death Eaters in the conflict with Voldemort, as well. You'll have official sanction."

"I don't want to be used as a publicity stunt for Minister Fudge." Harry said flatly.

"Minister Fudge?" Bones asked, smirking, "He resigned this morning. It was inevitable ever since you faced Voldemort, but he was able to resist this long. He was a consummate politician."

Harry smiled, pleased that gasbag was gone.

"Come with me." Madame Bones said, "I'll get your badges and introduce you to the Aurors working the duelist case."

The Potters followed the Head through the DMLE to the Auror Division. In an office labeled "IDs and Badges" they received special badges labeled "Auror Intern".

"These will allow you to apparate into the Ministry. You can apparate into the Auror Division or the main hall. Now, don't think you can make arrests." Amelia said, "You won't be qualified to do so until after you've gone through the academy. Even our academy cadets aren't allowed to do so. You can assist Auror Tonks or Master Auror Moody if they allow you to. Otherwise, you're free to discuss the case you're interested in. Follow me."

She took them into a large room filled with cubicles. The cubicles were decorated with newspaper clippings and wanted posters. Many had professional grade Sneak-o-scopes and similar tools scattered on shelves. Madame Bones led them unerringly through the maze to a certain cubicle. Aurors greeted her respectfully as she walked through.

"Auror Proudfoot, Auror Savage, this are our new Interns, Harry and Hermione Potter."

One grizzled looking bald man with a handlebar mustache was apparently named Proudfoot and the other, shaggy-haired with mutton-chops, must be Savage.

"Potter, huh?" Proudfoot asked, "Interns? Ok, so they're letting kids play around here. What do you want with us?"

"We heard there were duelists on the professional circuit disappearing." Harry said, "We think it could be Voldemort and we wanted to find out what you know."

"Got an internship and now you know something about detective work?" Proudfoot sneered.

"Aurors, you are directed to take one half hour and brief the Potters on the facts of the case so far. Once you've done so, you can return to your work." Bones said, "Understood?"

The two Aurors stiffened, but then nodded. Bones turned and walked away.

"The files are there." Savage said, pointing to a large pile of manila folders, "On the wall there are some connections we've made. Feel free to look. Once you're done, you can have ten minutes to ask questions. We've got work to do."

Harry and Hermione quickly began looking through the information. Hermione was a very fast reader and had an eidetic memory. She began devouring the files. Meanwhile, Harry looked at the pictures on the wall of the different duelists who were missing, the last time and place they were seen, and any similarities between them. There were tacked strings trying to demonstrate connections and it quickly became a web indicating the complexity of the professional dueling circuit.

They finished absorbing information at half past twelve.

"Ugh, I'm hungry, Hermione." Harry said, "I haven't come up with anything that really connects any of these Wizards to Voldemort. There's a mix of Muggleborns, Half-bloods, and Purebloods. They're not all from one country, let alone all from Hogwarts."

"I'm hungry, too." Hermione agreed, "And came up with nothing, either. Maybe we should go to the dining room here and grab a bite. After, we'll be fresher and can talk to Proudfoot and Savage."

Harry nodded his agreement, his face showing his relief. They tracked through the maze of cubicles, eventually finding the door to the hall. Then they had to try to find their way to the rumored canteen where Ministry officials ate.

They were speaking via their bond, trying to organize the information they'd absorbed and make connections. Suddenly, Harry's head snapped up and he saw a sickening green flash headed towards them. He leapt on Hermione, taking them both to the ground as the Killing Curse flew over their heads, striking chips from the wall. All they could see was a dark figure disappearing around the corner. Hermione rolled to her feet, never even coming to rest after being tackled before she set off running after the barely seen assailant. Harry had purposefully taken the brunt of the fall and it took him a second longer to gain his feet. He was fast, though, and his legs were slightly longer. He considered apparating ahead, but he didn't know the layout, making it impractical. Despite all their methods of transportation, they were stuck running after their attacker unless they wanted to give away their animagus forms.

They rounded a corner, seeing the Wizard running away from them for just an instant before he ran around the next corner. He apparently knew the layout of the Ministry very well, as he'd picked one of the most winding hallways in existence; with enough bends they never got a clear shot at him. It didn't stop Harry from chaining off several stunning spells, but the red bursts of light hit the wall with no effect.

"What are you kids doing?" a Wizard yelled as they almost crashed into him. Neither responded, saving their breath for the chase. Hermione had to banish the man out of the way of another Killing Curse originally aimed for them a second later.

"You've got to be kidding me!" Hermione panted, trying to run faster. The crowds in the hallway were becoming thicker as Ministry workers walked to lunch.

It looked like they were coming to a dead end, the hall ending in a wall of windows overlooking the Atrium. The dark robed Wizard cast a reductor curse at the window, causing it to shatter outwards. Still at a dead run, he ran through the hole he'd created, obviously thinking his pursuers would have to stop.

Neither did. Hermione hurtled into the air at a dead run, Harry leaping outwards a split second behind.

The unknown assailant, dark robes billowing around him, fell towards the floor of the atrium on the 8th floor of the Ministry, six floors below where they'd started. He fell amongst a cloud of glass shards from the window he'd broken, likely recently replaced after Harry's fight with Voldemort in the same atrium. Hermione fell after him, her wand already starting to spit spells now that she had a clear line of sight, trusting Harry to deal with the fall. Harry, mere feet above her, was blocked by his wife from firing at their attacker, leaving him the responsibility of planning their landing. He cast a few overpowered spells from the Elder Wand at the floor, then apparated downward, grabbed Hermione, then apparated them both to the floor, cancelling their momentum precisely in the process.

The dark robed attacker, stunned and wrapped in stout silken ropes by Hermione's spells hit the floor about two and a half seconds after leaping through the window and traveling about 87 kph. He hit the apparently hard stone floor and bounced as if landing on a soft mattress, Harry's powerful cushioning charm having struck before he did.

The Potters landed a split second before he did, having apparated the distance. With Harry's consummate skill at momentum shifts during apparation, Hermione barely had to flex her knees to keep her feet.

"Thanks, Harry." She said, "I knew you'd catch me."

"Of course." Harry said, "Now who's this guy?"

Their attacker had been wearing standard work robes, which were plain black, although barely visible under the loops of rope tying him. He'd put on a Death Eater mask, either before firing at them or immediately afterwards. If he'd escaped, that would have made it hard to identify him as that's all the other Witches and Wizards would have seen.

A crowd was gathering, but a wedge of Aurors quickly moved in, splitting up to provide crowd control. Madame Bones walked quickly up to them.

"What did I tell you about arrests!" she said sternly.

"It was hardly an arrest!" Hermione protested, "Whoever this is fired the Killing Curse at us as we were walking to lunch and then ran away. We did chase him… should we not have?"

The Aurors had gathered around him, Kingsley Shacklebolt in the forefront.

"Tonks, cover me." He said in his deep voice.

"Got it." She said from behind him, wand pointed steadily at the Wizard, who was unlikely to attack anyone while he was so thoroughly bound and stunned.

Kingsley took off the mask.

"Madame Bones, it's Jordan Jones." Kingsley said, surprise coloring his voice.

"The Auror mailroom clerk?" Amelia asked.

The Aurors set up a perimeter marked with yellow tape via a spell. White robed forensic wizards began gathering evidence in the Atrium and above in the hallways. Harry and Hermione were separated, both of them laughing since through their connection they could still confer had they had anything to hide. Kingsley interrogated Harry and Tonks interrogated Hermione. They told their story, as short and unrevealing as it was.

By the time they left, at the end of the day, they still didn't know what had caused the mailroom clerk to cast the Killing Curse at them. As they stood in line for the Floo, which would take them to Grimmauld Place, Hermione was talking through the duelist case, not mentioning any details in public, but mostly just murmuring to herself.

"Too bad we don't have a body." Harrysaid, "Those forensic wizards would be able to get as much information as if they were talking to him."

"Talking to him?" Hermione said suddenly, "Harry, you're a genius!"

"I am?" Harry said, "What did I say this time?"

"Wait until we're home." Hermione said, smiling and kissing her husband. Of course, Harry quickly sensed her thought and understood exactly what she was thinking.

How could he have missed it?

H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr

A/N: I left it at a semi-cliff hanger on purpose. I wanted to see if it generated suspense. Let me know what you think. I'd love to hear your theories about what Hermione realized. It's not that hard, but I think it'll make them pretty successful as investigators.

I meant to get further than this in this chapter. I hoped to do all of the summer in this chapter. Well, that clearly didn't happen. So now my plan is to do the rest of summer in the next chapter. We'll see how that works out.

I'm hitting a bit of a rough spot in my writing. I've got a case of life getting busy and wanting to be a perfectionist to end the story strong. If you can help by reading and reviewing, it's a huge motivation to keep going. I appreciate each and every review I get. So thanks!