Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Duelist by Hawkins
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Duelist

Hawkins

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter, but am thankful I get to play in their world.

Chapter 36: Diagon Alley

Aug 29 - Black Isle

Harry lay in bed, remembering one of the best summers of his life. He loved being married. Having Hermione with him all the time was the biggest blessing of his life. Her being in a swimsuit or less most of that time didn't hurt anything at all.

They had continued to train intensely, but it wasn't as all-consuming as it had been the previous summer. They knew what they were doing. There was none of the conflict there had been. Back then, they'd still been discovering themselves. Neville had been growing into his potential and since he'd previously been thought of as a near-squib it was a big shock to some. Ron had been threatened by Neville's growth and Harry's continued talent for DADA. This summer it was a completely different atmosphere. Neville continued to grow into his skills. His magical talent was even more noticeable as was his drive to continue to develop it. Harry thought his friend was hungry for approval, having been denied it for so long, so he was almost a zealot when it came to training. Ron wasn't threatened by it this year, though. He still quit sooner than Harry or Neville, but he would sit by the sidelines, watching them and when they were done he'd have some detailed critiques. He managed to see things even Harry didn't notice. Ron pointed out an extra motion that had crept into Harry's SPEAR spell, helping him shave a fraction of a second off. Given that each fraction of a second could make the difference, Harry really appreciated it.

Ron had really shone in the "red on blue" scenarios Moody had crafted. After they'd tried different line ups, they'd discovered that any team led by Ron did better than any other unless Harry was leading. So these scenarios came to be a large team led by Ron against a small team led by Harry, often just Harry and Hermione against the world. Ron had hit Harry with every strategy or tactic any of them could think of and Harry felt much more prepared than he'd been before. He thought back to the nightmare seconds in Diagon Alley when Bellatrix had unleashed on him and he'd frozen. He never wanted to be in that situation again. They were headed back to Diagon Alley soon to shop prior to Hogwarts beginning of term and it brought those memories to the surface. Ron and Dumbledore thought there was a good chance Riddle would try to hit them while they were in Diagon Alley. They'd considered skipping it altogether, but they had to end this soon. Voldemort was likely growing stronger and stronger as he sacrificed kidnapped professional duelists to steal their power. Soon he'd be unstoppable. They'd considered attacking him in his lair, which was probably Malfoy Manor based on what they'd learned from the shades of the duelists. They'd even trained for that, but had confirmed what Ron had warned them, that attacking a defensive position was very risky. Drawing Voldemort out, even if it was due to an ambush he set up, would be a better strategy.

Harry's birthday had been his first as a married man and one of the best ever. All his friends had joined him on the island. They'd spent the day swimming, eating good food, and just being together. He was now 16 chronologically, although with the experience he'd gotten from Voldemort's soul fragment and his own chaotic life, he felt much older.

He felt a shifting beside him and then his face was being tickled by strands of chestnut hair as Hermione pillowed her head on his chest. She had some really light streaks after so many hours in the tropical sun. Her hair smelled of her unique scent and he breathed it in. He personally thought today might be the day. He didn't believe in divination, particularly after this experience with Trelawney, but he felt something.

"Ready for today?" she asked aloud. They still liked to talk, even though they could do it all mentally.

"You know I'm not." Harry said, "I am and I'm not. I think they're going to hit us."

"They may." Hermione said, "If they do, we'll be ready."

"I can't underestimate him." Harry said, "He's evil and he's probably insane at this point, but he's an evil genius. Nobody except Dumbledore even compares to him."

"Dumbledore, you, me…" Hermione said, "Don't underestimate him, but don't sell yourself short, either. You can do this."

Harry nodded, a smile crossing his face. He needed Hermione like he needed the air he breathed. She knew just how to keep him out of his funks. She wouldn't put up with his brooding and he never wanted her to be unhappy with him, so he just…didn't.

"We don't want to scare them away, so the aurors are on standby, the Order is on standby." Harry said, "We're going into the Alley with you, me, Neville, Ron, Ginny, Luna, Sirius, Remus, and Tonks."

Hermione nodded, looking up from his chest.

"Yes, we are." She said, "Now let's enjoy some sun. It won't be daytime there for hours yet."

They spent their last day on the island sunning on the beach, napping in the sun, eating fish and tropical fruit. Enjoying all the things they wouldn't get at Hogwarts.

"Ready for later, mate?" Ron asked.

"Everyone's asking me that." Harry grumbled good naturedly.

"Well, don't be surprised." Ginny said, "If he does try to hit us, it'll be the culmination of years of conflict. The whole war could end today."

Harry took a deep breath and blew it out, calming himself.

"You've got this, Harry." Neville said in his deep voice.

Luna giggled.

"What are you laughing about?" Harry asked, surprised. Her laughter didn't fit his mood at all.

"You." Luna giggled, "You've spent years training for this. What are you nervous about? You're ready. For the rest of your life, you'll look back on this as a culminating moment. Live in the now, not in your fears."

Harry pondered her words. Was this Luna being her odd self or was this her strange talent for saying exactly what he needed to hear. He decided it was the latter. He was ready. He just hoped there wasn't any collateral damage. He couldn't face losing his friends or his family.

H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr

Aug 30 - Diagon Alley

The group portkeyed into a random spot in Diagon Alley in case the ambush was already set. Everyone was wearing dueling robes disguised as regular everyday robes. They carried healing potions Severus had brewed, shrunk to small size and ready to be enlarged and consumed. They each had at least two wands. Harry carried three: his holly wand, his spare ebony wand, and the Elder Wand. They looked around, eyes darting left and right, up and down in a scanning pattern. They used auramancy, looking for unexpected magic, but amongst the overwhelming overlapping auras of Diagon Alley, it was difficult to pick anything out.

"Clear." Harry said, just loud enough for the rest of the group to hear.

"Clear." Hermione seconded once she was satisfied.

"Clear." Luna's voice piped out.

The rest agreed and they walked into the Alley. Sirius led, while Remus and Tonks were behind, watching their back. The Hogwarts students were grouped in the middle, each with defined fields of fire.

Anti-climactically, Diagon Alley was its usual self. Full with last minute Hogwarts shoppers, the foot traffic was heavy. Harry got numerous looks, as one of the most famous Wizards alive, but nobody seemed overly focused on him. Wizarding paparazzi took pictures, the first flash almost setting Harry off. His hand twitched, almost pulling the Elder Wand, but Hermione's hand on his arm prevented him.

"Calm, Harry." She whispered.

They walked to Madame Malkin's. As they walked in, Madame Malkin greeted them. He was one of her preferred customers. She'd done the clothing for their wedding and the publicity had increased her business significantly.

"Mr. Potter, welcome back!" she said effusively.

"Thank you, Madame Malkin." Harry said, "Could you please provide the usual?"

He quietly informed her Ron's robes would be on his tab, appropriate for a sworn vassal to the Potters. Neville covered Ginny's. The Lovegoods had an account.

They were all measured and she informed them the robes would be ready by the end of the day. They agreed to return for them then.

"Hey, Harry, want to see the twin's store?" Ginny asked.

"Of course!" Harry said, genuinely excited.

"Me, too." Sirius said, "Let's see what they've done with our money."

Remus chuckled at that, eager to see what the Weasleys had done. If it hadn't been for the war, there was a good chance the original Marauders would have done something similar.

They stepped out into the grey sunlight of the late English summer. They continued to look for trouble, but nothing appeared out of place. Weasley's Wizarding Wheezes was hard to miss, brightly colored amongst the more conservative shops around it. The psychedelic colors were obviously very attractive as the entrance was jammed with children. The group carefully made their way to the door. Luckily, the crowd parted when they recognized who it was.

"It's Harry Potter!" came one whisper.

"Harry! Hermione!"

"Look, it's Ron Weasley!"

They walked into the joke shop as word of their presence preceded them.

"Harry!" Fred said, walking up to them, "Welcome to Weasley's Wizarding Wheezes! Please take a look around. As our partner, you're welcome to anything you want, feel free."

More whispers started about Harry being involved in the business and the already busy business picked up even more.

Harry looked around, seeing many old favorites, like the Puking Pastilles, Nosebleed Nougats, and Canary Creams. Hermione, Ginny, and Luna were laughing at the Wonder Witch products, although Ginny seemed to really like the pygmy puffs.

"Hey, Fred, what about me?" Ron asked, looking at some Peruvian Instant Darkness Powder, "How much for your brother?"

"Ten galleons." Fred said.

"For your brother?" Ron asked, sounding hurt.

"Ok, fifteen galleons." Fred said, walking on.

"How's the business going?" Harry quietly asked Fred.

"Brilliantly, mate." Fred said, "It's been crowded like this since we opened. We're giving out mail order catalogs with each purchase and we expect our mail order business may be the busiest part during the school year, but we're doing really well. Padfoot and Moony were able to give us a lot of ideas. They apparently kept detailed notes of everything they did in school, so we're recreating some of their classics."

"Great!" Harry said, "I'm happy for you!"

"You should be happy for you, too." Fred smiled, "We're already turning a profit. Your first deposit should already be at Gringotts."

"You don't have to do that." Harry said.

"You're a partner!" Fred said, "Weasleys don't do charity. I don't always agree with Ron, but I agree with that."

"Where's George?" Harry asked.

"In the back." Fred said, "He's working on a new product. Here, I'll walk you back."

Fred led Harry through a door behind the counter into a storeroom, then through the storeroom into a workroom. Harry could see heavy wards protecting the rest of the shop in case there was an accident. George sat at a bench with magnifying glasses perched on his nose. He continued what he was doing until he got to a stopping point, then looked up.

"Harry!" George said, "Good to see you, partner!"

"Thanks, George!" Harry said, smiling, "What are you working on?"

"A new and improved decoy detonator." George replied, "It's got some complicated clockwork that I'm trying to figure out. Once we have it, we can automate the process, but the first time is always the hardest."

"Well, good luck, mate." Harry said, grinning at his old Quidditch teammate.

He walked back into the store, finding everyone ready to continue their shopping. Their spirits had lifted with the hilarious products the store carried. Fred and George really knew how to bring some happiness into the world.

Sirius led out into the Alley, Harry and Hermione behind him. They walked towards the apothecary, needing to restock their supplies prior to Potions. Harry was scanning left and right. His anxiety level, having gone down while they were in WWW, was increasing again. Something didn't feel right. He looked around. A mum was pushing her baby in a pram. Some children were chasing each other, seeming to head towards Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlor. Many, many Hogwarts age children were shopping with their parents. Something still didn't feel right. Hermione picked up on Harry's unease and looked around more quickly as well.

Harry looked back at the mum pushing the pram. Nothing looked off…the baby was playing with a rattle…wait, that wasn't a rattle, it was a wand!

"Wand!" Harry called, dropping the Elder Wand into his hand. The baby actually pointed the wand at him and in a high voice called out a dreaded incantation…

"Avada kedavra!"

Harry quickly summoned a rubbish can into the way, intercepting the green bolt. The can exploded, blown into pieces by the curse. Out of the corner of his eye, he could see many of the shoppers turning towards them, wands in hand. They were all casting Killing Curses!

Harry's wand danced, summoning more and more debris into the way. Hermione was doing the same, while dodging curses they missed. How could the Death Eaters have gotten so many people into Diagon Alley without being seen?

With all nine of them working to pull debris into the way, they were blocking all the Killing Curses so far, but they couldn't afford to let any through. If they tried to dodge, there was no telling whether that curse would hit someone else in the group. The disguised Death Eaters weren't holding back, casting only Killing Curses. This was clearly an attempt to take Harry out.

The blasted baby shot another Killing Curse, which Harry blocked with the mum, who he assumed was another Death Eater, who fell after intercepting the deadly curse. He then levitated the pram, sending it flying to the other end of Diagon Alley, presumably polyjuiced Death Eater still inside.

"I hope I don't go to Azkaban for child abuse." Harry grumbled, while still blocking Killing Curses. They couldn't keep this pace up, there were too many curses, "We've got to go!"

He heard a muttered curse from Ron and glanced over. Ron had missed one of his blocks and had to dodge a green bolt, which left an opening for it to head directly at Harry. Harry was caught off-guard and realized he'd never be able to dodge in time.

Suddenly Hermione apparated right into the path of the curse, taking it directly as she threw herself between the curse and her husband.

"No!" Harry cried out, the scream ripping his throat. Not again, not again was all he could think.

Hermione fell, bursting into golden flame.

Multiple pops sounded.

"Harry Potter!" came a babyish sing-song voice, "Letting your wife take curses meant for you? What kind of man are you?"

Harry saw Bellatrix apparate into view and started to hit her with a SPEAR, but had to block a Killing Curse from Lucius Malfoy instead. Bellatrix scooped up the phoenix chick where Hermione had been and disappeared, cackling.

"Harry Potter!" came a sibiliant voice, recognizable from Harry's worst nightmares.

Voldemort glided into view in his black robes, his white skin gleaming in the faint English sunlight.

"We meet again. Are you prepared to duel me again?"

Harry's mind was working in overdrive. Bellatrix had taken Hermione! She couldn't flame travel so soon after a forced burning day. She might be trapped. Voldemort…his friends couldn't take him without Harry.

"Hedwig!" Harry called, "Get Dumbledore!"

He felt himself descending into that frightening and yet comforting state where his thoughts all became cold and crystal clear. His thoughts seem to speed up, freed from any weight of emotion. The Machine took over and Harry's options were suddenly clear. If Hermione died, so did he and the war was over. Even if all his friends died, he had his priorities and they all had to know.

"Sirius, I'm going after her. Don't die."

He searched in his mind for Hermione's location even while his wand danced, sending waves of SPEARs flying at his enemies. Lucius had to throw himself out of the way as the cobblestones beneath his feet exploded, sending shards flying.

Harry couldn't sense her exact location, but at the same time he knew exactly where she was. It was a very strange sensation. He knew where she was, but didn't know where in the world that was. The location must be unplottable. He'd have to go in blind. If they had set a trap, such as holding her chained above a pool of lava or above a long fall, he'd have to be ready to transform or apparate again quickly.

He pulled the invisibility cloak from where he always carried it and swirled it around him. He used House Elf apparition, disappearing absolutely silently and reappearing in the same fashion.

H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr

Hermione saw Ron's mistake immediately. He'd simply missed a block, not getting the cobblestone between the green flash of the Killing Curse and himself. Ron threw himself out of the way, so Hermione knew he was safe, at least for the instant, but she always knew where Harry was and she could tell he was in the line of fire. He saw the curse, but wasn't in position to block or dodge. She was, so she apparated between the curse and Harry, purposefully taking it.

She felt the bolt hit her and her heart immediately stopped. She felt herself burst into flame and woke up in phoenix chick form, much like she had in the Ministry. Bollocks, she couldn't afford this. She had to transform back quickly!

Suddenly Bellatrix was beside her, scooping her up. She tried to peck the insane Witch, but her short beak didn't do much to the gnarled hands.

She felt the disorientation of apparition as she was taken somewhere. Bellatrix better be ready for a world of hurt, because as soon as Hermione transformed back, she was going to make the bitch pay!

"No, no, no!" Bellatrix scolded, "Look around. See what we have here? If you transform before I tell you, they all die."

Hermione looked around and saw hundreds of children sitting on benches around the perimeter of the circular room. Above the children, guards stood on a raised circular tier, watching them closely, wands trained on them. In the middle of the room there was a framework with chains hanging down, steel manacles hanging from the chains.

"We didn't think you'd want all these children to die. They're orphans from around London. It is SO easy to walk into a Muggle orphanage, cast a confundus or two, and walk out with dozens of these little tykes." Bellatrix crowed, "Your hesitance to let them die is your weakness."

The insane Witch walked to the framework.

"Transform." Bellatrix commanded, "One wrong move and we'll Fiendfyre the lot of them."

Hermione transformed, already crying. She couldn't doom all these orphans to a burning death, but if she let herself be captured, she might be killing Harry. What could she do?

Bellatrix bound her to the framework, wrists tightly bound by the steel shackles. Hermione could see magic pulsing off them.

"Ah, you noticed, Mudblood." Bellatrix laughed, "If they open, the spells on this room will cause this lower section to fill with Fiendfyre. They will all burn if your husband tries to rescue you. This room is warded against apparition and portkey. He won't be able to get in and if he does, it will spell death for all our hostages, you and the children."

"You won't survive this." Hermione said tightly, "He'll kill every one of you."

"Oh, he'll try." Bellatrix said dismissively, "My master has years more experience than little baby Potter. Perhaps Potter could have been great someday, especially if he agreed to serve the Dark Lord, but I have a feeling he won't and he'll never live to meet his potential."

Hermione looked around the room, catching the eyes of the scared orphans and trying to convey the message that they'd be safe. She hoped they'd be safe.

H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr

Harry apparated into a strange circular room, appearing without a noise, just as a House Elf who didn't want to disturb his master would. He pulled the invisibility cloak more tightly around him while he looked around. He saw Bellatrix holding the phoenix chick and walking towards a framework in the middle of the room. He saw the children sitting on the floor around the perimeter of the room. Harry had no idea where Voldemort would have kidnapped so many children, but there they were the perfect hostages. Above them were Death Eater guards, wands trained downward on the room. None of them were familiar appearing. They were probably new recruits, the anonymous rank and file of Voldemort's organization.

Oh, this was a mess! He listened as Bellatrix explained the setup to Hermione.

<Hermione, I'm here.> Harry sent mentally.

<You heard her?> Hermione sent back, keeping her face impassive.

<I did.> Harry said and quickly summarized what he'd heard to make sure he hadn't missed anything.

<That was it.> Hermione sent. Harry could feel the fear and sadness from her. They both knew their friends were still in Diagon Alley facing Voldemort and the majority of his Death Eaters.

<Any ideas?> Harry asked.

<Thinking…> Hermione sent. Harry felt the rushing sensation of Hermione's mind on overdrive. They'd come up with something, but would it be soon enough?

H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr

In Diagon Alley, Voldemort was not at all surprised to see Harry disappear. It was all happening as he'd planned. He wanted to separate Harry and his Mudblood wife from their friends. He could deal with the friends. He full expected they would escape his death trap, but by then, he would have completed this portion of his plan to destroy Harry Potter.

"Cease fire." He hissed at his Death Eaters. More and more Death Eaters, disguised with Polyjuice Potion, surrounded the small clump of defenders.

"Ah, Sirius Black." Voldemort hissed, "I almost feel fond of you. After all, you rotted in Azkaban for years after your supposed work for me."

"Fuck off, Voldemort." Sirius spat.

"Is that anyway to speak to your Lord, Blood Traitor?" Voldemort hissed, "I killed your brother and soon I will kill you."

"Not if Harry kills you first." Sirius yelled.

"Ah, yes, the great Harry Potter." Voldemort laughed, "Where is he? He ran away, didn't he?"

Voldemort walked around as if waiting for something. Many of the Death Eaters seemed to be waiting for the same thing. None of them seemed surprise when Dumbledore appeared in a flash of red and gold flame, holding on to Fawkes' tail feathers.

"Tom Riddle." Dumbledore said calmly, "I am surprised you dare to show your face in public."

"The public I will soon rule!" Voldemort said loudly, "Now!"

Every Death Eater fired stunning charms at the Headmaster of Hogwarts. Voldemort added his power, giant bolts of red flying from his wand. The old wizard, as powerful as he was, was no match for dozens of opponents including the greatest Dark Wizard ever. Deprived of the Elder Wand, he soon fell.

"Dumbledore! No!" Ginny cried.

"Where are the aurors?" Remus quietly asked Tonks.

"I don't know!" she cried, sobbing, "They were supposed to be prepared for this!"

H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr

The aurors had been prepared. They waited, ready to rush to Diagon Alley if the Death Eaters struck. The moment came and one of them, holding a mirror connected to their scout in Diagon Alley, looked up.

"The Death Eaters are attacking Potter!"

"Strike team, go!" Scrimgeour commanded, sending his handpicked team by portkey directly into Diagon Alley.

The team of ten aurors, holding onto a portkey disappeared. Scrimgeour would have to wait for word, but he expected no resistance that ten aurors couldn't face. Just in case he prepared his back-up team of ten more.

The initial strike team meanwhile appeared in total darkness.

"Where are we?" one asked his comrades.

"No idea, this doesn't seem like Diagon Alley."

"Lumos." Another cast.

The light illuminated a basement with wizards surrounding them. Red flashes shot from dozens of Death Eater wands and the aurors were unconscious.

H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr

In Diagon Alley, Voldemort himself had trussed up his greatest enemy, Albus Dumbledore, wrapping him in chains and sticking him to a wall with a sticking charm. He cast a Sonorous spell and amplified his voice.

"Wizards, witches, I am Lord Voldemort, the Greatest Wizard ever!" he cried out. He presented an intimidating picture, tall and thin, his skin white, slits for a nose, glowing red eyes. His carriage however was aristocratic and he held his wand with the confidence of a Master, "I have defeated the great Albus Dumbledore and caused Harry Potter to flee. When he returns, I will defeat him, as well. For those who swear their loyalty to me, you will benefit from my patronage. For those who refuse, you will perish! I will bring a new age of greatness to the Wizarding world. Join me!"

He looked around, catching the eyes of everyone around. One exceptionally tall boy stepped out from the group around Sirius Black.

"My name is Neville Longbottom" Neville said, "Heir of the Longbottoms and a Pureblood."

"Welcome, Neville Longbottom." Voldemort said expansively, "Welcome to join me."

"My Lord, you say you're the greatest Wizard alive?" Neville asked.

"Of course." Voldemort said, his eyes narrowing.

"Albus Dumbledore is the Greatest Wizard," Neville shouted, "and Harry's better than you! You're nothing but an evil git!"

"Ah, Longbottom. I recognize the name, now. I believe I had your parents tortured into insanity. You seek to join them?" Voldemort said, a smile crossing his face, "Very well. Crucio!"

Neville fell to the ground, writhing under Voldemort's spell. Voldemort broke off, ending the torture curse. He didn't want to deplete his strength before Harry appeared.

"Nagini, finish him."

The snake began to slither towards Neville.

Fawkes, responding to Neville's loyalty to Dumbledore, flashed next to the boy with the Sorting Hat, much as he'd done for Harry in the Chamber of Secrets.

"Quick, boy, put me on!" the hat cried out.

Neville, twitching, pulled the hat on, feeling something metallic bump into his head.

Voldemort was laughing, watching this scene.

"The bird brings you a dusty old hat to protect you as you're about to die?" he laughed. The Death Eaters laughed with him.

"Tom Riddle!" the sorting hat called loudly, distracting the Dark Wizard.

"Don't call me that, foolish hat!" Voldemort snapped.

"Why not?" the Sorting Hat spat back, "It's what I first knew you as, when you were a boy of eleven. I made the right decision with you, putting you into Slytherin. The darkness I saw in your mind has come to pass, hasn't it?"

"The darkness that has gone before," Voldemort said loudly, "is nothing compared to what I will do. Impure blood will stain the streets before I am finished!"

"On behalf of my creator, Godric Gryffindor," the Sorting Hat shouted, "I have a message for you, Tom Riddle."

Voldemort moved closer.

"Go fuck yourself." The Sorting Hat yelled, then laughed.

Nagini lunged at Neville, who pulled the sword from the hat and stumbling back, aimed a beautiful sweeping slice at the lunging snake. The Sword of Gryffindor met the giant snake and cleaved his head from his body with almost no resistance. The sound of a screaming cry, almost human, was heard by all.

"What have you done?" Voldemort cried out, staggering as he felt the pain of his soul fragment being destroyed. He couldn't help but feel it this close to him. "You do not know what you have done!"

Voldemort leveled his wand at Neville, who threw the Sword of Gryffindor at him. Rubies gleaming in the dim sunlight, the sword flipped end over end, striking Voldemort point first in his lower abdomen, and lodging there. Voldemort gasped and staggered backwards a few steps, looking down at the sword in disbelief.

"You annoying gnat!" he cried, falling to his knees, both hands on the handle of the ancient sword.

H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr

Harry stood next to Hermione, invisible, while they thought.

<I think I have it.> Harry suggested. They discussed his idea and realized it was worth a try. Harry stepped away from Hermione into the very center of the room and threw off his invisibility cloak.

"I am here to save my wife!" he cried out, amplified by a Sonorous charm, "Drop your wands or die!"

Meanwhile, Hermione sent her thoughts to all the House Elves she could reach. House Elves could communicate wordlessly with their own kind, which the Potters had learned from Winky and Dobby. House Elves were born to serve Wizards and loved children. Hundreds responded to her plea.

The guards focused on Harry, firing Killing Curses down at him. Harry, deep in the cold emptiness of the Machine, blocked them automatically, summoning every loose item in the room into the way.

Hermione waited a moment and then non-verbally opened the shackles. Fiendfyre sprang into existence all along the periphery of the room, blazing with images of dragons, snakes, and all manner of evil creatures. The magical fire appeared hungry. It consumed nothing immediately, though, all the orphans having been removed from the room by the horde of House Elves.

"That which you don't respect," Hermione yelled out, "you can't prepare for."

Harry seized control over the Fiendfyre. His control was absolute, developed over long practice. If he could have felt emotion in this state, he would have felt rage. Nobody kidnapped his wife. The Fiendfyre made a vortex, scouring everything from the room as Harry grabbed Hermione and flame traveled back to Diagon Alley.

H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr

Everyone watched the confrontation between Neville and Voldemort, stunned that the boy long thought to be little more than a squib had driven the Sword of Gryffindor into the Dark Lord's side. A few were even more shocked, knowing that after Harry's slaying of the basilisk, the sword was imbued with the killing power of basilisk venom, the most poisonous substance in existence.

Into this tableau, Harry and Hermione appeared. They immediately saw an unbelievable scene of Voldemort with the Sword of Gryffindor protruding from his abdomen, Neville facing him from the ground. Voldemort saw them appear and surprisingly laughed.

"Harry Potter, you return!" Voldemort laughed, "You obviously think I should be dying, don't you? I have overcome death in many ways! You have assumed the form of a symbol of the light. I, I have assumed the form of Slytherin's creature, the guardian of the Chamber of Secrets. The one creature immune to basilisk venom…the basilisk itself!"

Voldemort stood and pulled the sword from his side, the wound immediately beginning to heal. He threw the sword far from him, clattering onto the slates atop the roof of one of the nearby shops.

"I could transform," Voldemort smiled, "which might be amusing as my gaze would kill many, but I know the one creature immune is the Phoenix. It wouldn't do to kill my own henchman while you survive, Harry Potter!"

Suddenly, the fight was back on, a chaotic swirl.

Harry launched a chain of SPEARs at Voldemort, overpowering them slightly to try to press the Dark Lord early. He was unsure what he would find in regards to Voldemort's power after the recent rituals. Hermione launched a spread of tiny black holes at Lucius and Bellatrix, standing next to each other. Knowing what the spell did, Bellatrix dove sideways and Malfoy imitated her.

Voldemort shielded against the SPEARs and Harry watched as the shield shrugged off the powerful attacks without breaking. Voldemort laughed, watching as Harry realized how much more powerful he'd become. Then the Dark Lord lashed out with a string of dark spells, including bone breaking curses, entrail expelling curses, and a putrefaction curse that would have rotted Harry where he stood. Harry apparated out of the way, but watched in horror as innocent bystanders were hit with the spells, literally exploding with the power of Voldemort's curses.

"A little different from the Ministry, isn't it, Harry Potter?" Voldemort mocked.

"You'll never rule when people have seen how truly evil you are, Tom Riddle." Harry replied, quickly casting a chain of cutting curses laced with SPEARs, trying to penetrate Riddle's shields.

Ron was launching reductor curses at Death Eaters, hitting with a fair percent. Blood splashed over the cobblestones as arms and torsos were blown apart. The youngest Weasley male glanced over at a snarl just in time to see a werewolf come charging in from his side. He was barely able to get his wand up in time, too late to get a spell off before Fenrir knocked it out of his hand. The dark werewolf seemed to smile as he snapped at Ron's throat, ready to rip and tear. Even if he failed to kill him, he could turn him, which was his secret pleasure. Ron, without thinking, swung his left fist in a sweeping left hook, connecting with Fenrir's jaw. The experienced lupine had taken many hits from victims, but he rarely even noticed, almost immune to physical damage. He certainly noticed Ron's punch, as his jaw shattered and he was sent rolling to the side, whimpering. Ron flexed his silver fist, grinning. He summoned his wand back to his hand just in time to block a Killing Curse with summoned debris and he was separated from the werewolf amongst the chaos of the fight.

Luna fought beside Ron, but was too busy blocking Killing Curses with stray cobblestones to help him against Fenrir. She would occasionally retaliate with a well-placed piercing curse, dropping several Death Eaters with neat holes drilled through their foreheads. Another she cast a switching spell on, switching arms and legs. The Death Eater fell to the ground, wand snapping under his weight.

Sirius had looked for and found Peter Pettigrew. The rat-faced man looked terrified to see his old friend.

"Ah, Peter." Sirius said as he stalked towards him.

"Sirius…how good to see you." Peter squeaked, backing away from him.

"You don't look like you're happy to see me." Sirius said, grinning at finally reaching the confrontation he'd longed for.

Peter thrust out his wand and cast a remarkably quick blasting charm. He didn't have a large repertoire, but what he had, he could cast quickly, as he'd shown when he framed Sirius the first time.

Sirius, though, was an experienced duelist, growing up practicing with Bellatrix Black. He batted the curse away, sending it flying into the sky.

"You cost me a decade of my life, Peter." Sirius said, his eyes flat.

"You would have killed me!" Peter whimpered.

"Of course, I would have!" Sirius thundered, "You betrayed James! You might as well have killed him yourself! He was like a brother to us."

"I loved him!" Peter screamed back, "I loved him and he married that Mudblood. He never even looked at me!"

Sirius was now truly repulsed. The whole betrayal was due to a secret crush?

"That's not love, Peter." Sirius replied, "I loved him like a brother. Love doesn't prompt you to kill the one you love."

Peter had backed almost to an alley. He transformed into a rat, diving for a pile of refuse. Sirius leapt at him, transforming in mid-leap, catching the rat in the strong jaws of his Grim form. He felt him struggle for an instant before he bit down hard, snapping the rat's back. He shook him for a moment and then released him, transforming back to human form and wiping his mouth on the sleeve of his robe. The rat, dying, transformed back as well, moaning as he thrashed, but his legs did not move.

"You are no brother of mine." Sirius said, "That was for James who died a true Marauder."

He hesitated watching him thrash and finally pointed his wand, giving his former brother his mercy. "Reducto." Sirius walked back to the fight, his vengeance finally complete.

Fenrir had been healed by another Death Eater, since his innate werewolf healing wouldn't heal the wound delivered by silver. He had then leapt back into the fight. He initially looked for the damn redhead that had delivered the blow, but not seeing him had gone after another obsession. He saw Remus Lupin, who he'd bitten as a boy. He was fighting beside a pink-haired auror, each covering the other's flank. He'd learned from Voldemort that if you killed a man's love, you could break his spirit. So he stalked quietly upon the couple from the side and lunged, grabbing Tonks by the throat, but not biting her…yet.

"I've got your bitch, Lupin!" Fenrir snarled, "Maybe I should tear her throat out…or would you prefer if I just changed her, like you?"

"No!" Remus said, taking a step forward. He pointed his wand, but Fenrir interposed Tonks between them.

"No, no, no." Fenrir scolded, "Bad Lupin. One more move and she pays."

Lupin was caught. He couldn't cast a spell, because it would hit Tonks, too. He didn't know how Death Eater werewolves triggered their change during non-full moon, but he couldn't do that. There were rumors that if a werewolf ever gained complete control over their other form, they could transform at will and then would never lose control again, but that was just a myth or legend.

"Don't do it." Remus begged, "You want me, not her. You don't even know her. Let her go and we'll fight."

"It's too delicious to watch you squirm, Lupin." Fenrir snarled.

Remus watched, knowing he would have to take a shot with a spell if Fenrir made any sudden movements. It was his only chance. He'd been working with Harry recently and they'd discussed Harry's use of occlumency to improve his dueling. Remus had tried it and while he hadn't developed it to the point Harry had with "the Machine", he had seen some improvement. So he centered himself with occlumency, pushing himself deeper and deeper, ready to cast if he was forced.

With the motivation of seeing Tonks on the edge of being bitten, he found himself able to achieve a deeper level of occlumency than he ever had before. He felt cold, unemotional, in complete control of himself. Time seemed to slow and all his senses seemed sharper. He saw Fenrir start to lunge as if in slow motion. He realized a spell wouldn't be his best counter and instantly changed his plan.

He leapt, catching Fenrir by the neck. Shockingly, he felt the transformation hit him like a freight train, all at once. Instead of the slow, painful process he usually underwent it was like a sudden agony and then he was transformed. With his sudden strength, he threw Fenrir a hundred feet down the Alley and loped after him, snarling.

Fenrir regained his feet, shaking his head for the second time that night. He hadn't expected that! Where had Lupin learned to transform at will? He barely had time to refocus before the other werewolf was on him. They grappled, rolling over and over on the cobblestones, biting and scratching, struggling for purchase, for leverage to deliver the fatal bite.

"Remus?" Tonks said, creeping closer to the pair of snarling and biting werewolves, wand out, looking to help but now in the same position Remus had been in, unable to fire at Fenrir without hitting her loved one.

There was a sudden crunch and a shake. Lupin looked up, his eyes glowing yellow. He caught Tonks' eyes and she raised her wand, thinking he was going to leap at her, but then the yellow faded and he transformed back. He was bleeding from a dozen wounds, but was able to sit up.

"Are you ok?" he managed to ask.

"I'm fine." She said, "You?"

He nodded, but she could see he was far from alright. She used some of her auror first-aid skills to close the worst of his wounds.

H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr

Hermione blocked, spun and blocked again. She was single-handedly fighting at least a handful of Death Eaters at all times, trying to keep them off Harry while he fought Voldemort. Lucius and Bellatrix had continued to concentrate on her, trying to land a blow to distract Harry. Other Death Eaters she didn't know would launch spells at her before being swallowed back into the swirling chaos of the ongoing melee. She was submerged deeply, feeling nothing but the flow of the fight. Bellatrix was by far the better of the two duelists she faced, insanely aggressive, but not lacking in skill. Lucius was more tentative. He'd clearly been trained by masters, but he simply lacked the killer instinct to be a great duelist. Hermione flicked one of the elder's Malfoy's cutting curses at Bellatrix and apparated, staying mobile to keep from being pinned down. Bellatrix blocked the curse and snarled at Malfoy, before launching a string of reductors at Hermione. The bushy haired Potter would have laughed if she wasn't so absorbed in the moment. She'd set Bellatrix up, apparating in front of a group of less experienced Death Eaters. She simply appparated out of the way, allowing Bellatrix's reductors to turn the five black robed and masked Wizards into red mist.

"Oh, you think you can play, do you Mudblood?" Bellatrix cackled, not seemingly bothered in the least that she'd just killed a handful of her own allies, "Try this!"

Bellatrix cast a dark summoning spell and a horde of black and green wasps appeared, their stingers glowing with a frightening green fire. They flew at Hermione more quickly than any insect should have been able to move. Instead of buzzing, they made a sound like tortured screams as they flew. Hermione cast a quick spell and apparated away. A black maw formed, swallowed the summoned demon-wasps, and closed.

"You bitch!" Bellatrix said, now upset, "I can't summon them again for a year! I've been saving them!"

Hermione remained silent, saving her breath. She was already growing tired, trying to face so many at once. She parried Lucius' piercing curses directly back at him, before kicking another random Death Eater in the side of the knee, dropping him to the cobbles. She hoped reinforcements arrived soon or they might be overwhelmed simply by numbers. Where were the aurors?

H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr

Master Auror Moody hadn't been able to reach Dumbledore. He'd tried reaching him by Floo, but had received no response. He Floo'd the auror strike force he'd arranged with Scrimgeour. He didn't especially like the current Chief Auror, the man was too much of a careerist and not focused enough on defeating Dark Wizards for Moody's taste, but he was better than some.

"Scrimgeour!" Moody grunted, "Heard anything?"

"We received word there was an attack on Diagon Alley." Scrimgeour reported, "Sent our strike team right away, but have not received word back."

"Bloody hell, man!" Moody raved, "Did you send anyone to check?"

"No, the briefed plan was to wait for word prior to sending the second team." Scrimgeour said, "Didn't want to send them into a trap."

"Well, get them there!" Moody commanded, not thinking twice about ordering his nominal superior, "I'm going to get some of our people and I'll be there soon."

Moody pulled his head out of the Floo, tossed in another handful of powder, and traveled to Hogwarts. He sent his Patronus for Snape while he stomped to McGonagall's office. With his walking stick, he rapped on her heavy wooden door.

"Alastor." Minerva said, answering the door, "Is it the Potters?"

"Yes, Scrimgeour reports an attack on Diagon Alley. I anticipate they're in the middle of it."

"Where's Dumbledore?" McGonagall asked.

"I think he probably went directly there." Moody grunted, "You know how he feels about that boy."

"How we all feel about that boy." McGonagall said as she swept out of her door, "You included."

"Knows his defense, he does." Moody said, while his voice spoke of a deeper attachment.

A doe Patronus appeared next to them, conveying a message from Severus.

"I will go ahead. It would not do to be seen with you. Do not be late."

Flitwick walked up, having heard them talking.

"It's time?" he asked in his squeaky voice.

Moody just nodded. They threw powder into McGonagall's office Floo and stepped in.

H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr

Harry was barely holding his own against Voldemort. He'd sacrificed his mobility in order to try to protect the scared spectators, using shields instead. Even dodging usually resulted in the deaths of whoever was behind him, as Voldemort tossed out more violent dark curses with each wave of his deathly white wand. Harry's shields held, but only his own prodigious power channeled through the Elder Wand could manage it and even then it was a close thing.

"Not flying this time, Harry Potter?" Voldemort mocked.

Harry didn't answer, firing a piercing curse, a cutting curse, a SPEAR, and a flame dart in rapid succession. He tried to cloak the wand movement for a black portal that appeared right underneath Voldemort, but the Dark Wizard saw it and had banished it before it fully opened.

"Oh, that is almost worthy of me." Voldemort hissed, "Opens to the ninth level of Hell, doesn't it? Don't worry, I have friends there, already."

Voldemort snapped out a liquefaction curse, which Harry parried, sending it skyward. The Dark Wizard used it to conceal a movement of his own and with a bare flick of his wand, Ron Weasley was wrapped in ropes.

"Be still, blood traitor." Voldemort crooned.

Another gesture and Ron was mounted next to Dumbledore.

Harry pressed forward, chaining together SPEARs, one after another, hammering on Voldemort's shield while he was distracted. Riddle deflected them all, laughing as Harry cringed at the innocents destroyed by the reflected spells.

Harry apparated to arms reach and kicked Voldemort in the abdomen, aiming for the damp spot on his robes over where the Sword of Gryffindor had pierced. Voldemort went to his knees, but retaliated with a blast of pure concussive energy, some sort of hybrid between a bludgeon, a reductor, and a blasting curse. Only his heavily enchanted dueling robes saved Harry, but he was thrown down the Alley, skidding across the cobblestones, momentarily disoriented.

Ginny, standing next to Neville, sprang up and launched a series of attacks against Voldemort. She chained reductor curses, cutting curses, piercing curses. Laughing, the Dark Wizard blocked them all.

"Ah, Ginny Weasley." He smiled, "I remember you. Quite the little diarist, aren't you?"

Horrified at the reminder, Ginny continued her attacks, finally landing with a spell Voldemort apparently didn't expect. The Dark Lord looked surprised when the mucus within the narrow slits of his nose started taking form. He shook his head and with a gesture ended the Bat Bogey spell. Another gesture and both Ginny and Neville were bound similarly to Ron and stuck to a nearby wall.

Voldemort looked back at where Harry had been on the ground, just in time to catch the SPEAR spell in the chest. His own robes were apparently heavily enchanted, because the piercing charm was blocked and the explosive curse behind it detonated on his protective charms, blasting him down the street. He stood up and began to dust himself off, standing in front of the Leaky Cauldron.

Harry stalked towards him, feeling broken ribs grating as he panted for breath.

H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr

Bellatrix and Hermione battled back and forth. Both were incredibly fast. Bellatrix had the advantage of sheer viciousness, launching so many dark curses nobody who watched could even follow. Except Hermione, who knew more spells than anyone except probably Dumbledore or Tom Riddle himself. She cast the correct counter-curses to each, blocking them neatly. Lucius Malfoy tried to stand next to Bellatrix, contributing where he could, but he could tell he was outmatched. Still, the two of them were keeping the Mudblood busy and away from their master.

Out of the corner of his eye, he saw reinforcements. More Death Eaters appeared, running to the main fight. One black robed Wizard, though, strolled towards them. His walk was so familiar, Lucius immediately knew him.

"Severus." Malfoy drawled, "Welcome to the party."

"Of course." Severus said, "I was able to misdirect Dumbledore's message to his followers. Now where are we?"

"We're keeping the Mudblood busy while our Master takes care of Potter." Lucius said, turning back to Hermione as Severus walked to his side.

"Very good." Severus said, planting his potions dagger into Lucius' left kidney, his motion cloaked by his own sweeping robes.

Lucius tried to look over his shoulder at Snape, tried to gasp out a warning to Bellatrix, but the pain was just too great. He managed to apparate away before he fell, ripping the knife from Severus' grip. Snape exchanged a look with Hermione and she gestured for him to help Harry. The Potion master nodded, turning away and gliding towards the Leaky Cauldron.

Hermione began a series of attacks, increasing her aggressiveness and driving Bellatrix back. The insane witch cackled, amused by the Muggleborn witch's audacity, but knowing no Mudblood could ever challenge her. Bellatrix blocked and parried, slowly stepping back under the brown-eyed Potter's relentless attacks.

"You know you'll never penetrate my defense, don't you, Mudblood?" Bellatrix asked at a brief pause in the attack.

Hermione cocked her head to the side and surprised Lestrange with an enigmatic smile.

"I don't have to." Hermione said.

A pair of muscular legs swung over Bellatrix's shoulders.

"You were already spoken for." Hermione said, turning away.

Neville locked his ankles, using his leverage from being stuck to the wall. With a quick jerk of his hips, he broke the Witch's neck. The crack resounded the length of Diagon Alley.

"That was for my mum and dad, you bitch!"

The body fell at his feet as he heaved and tried to catch his breath despite the constriction of his bondage.

H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr H/Hr

Voldemort stood, brushing off his robes. He faced Harry, who was stalking towards him down the length of Diagon Alley.

Both were surprised when Mad-Eye Moody stepped from the door to the Leaky Cauldron, McGonagall and Flitwick behind him. The Master Auror tried to shield his two friends as he raised his own wand.

"Avada kedavra!" Voldemort snapped out, his signature spell lancing out faster than thought. The green beam struck Moody in the chest. The light in his good eye dimmed and he fell silently.

"You bastard!" Harry shouted, the feeling of loss after seeing one of his mentors killed penetrating even the depths of his occlumency. He launched a stream of powerful attacks. Voldemort laughed, blocking each one and sending them into the front of the Leaky Cauldron. Already insanely powerful, the augmentation from the dark ritual sacrifice of the professional duelists had left him unbeatable. Minerva and Filius took cover as the glass windows shattered and the doorframe exploded around them. Voldemort gestured with his wand and both were securely wrapped and quickly stuck to the wall.

"Harry Potter, you are quickly running out of defenders." Voldemort said, "Perhaps you want to reconsider your decision to oppose me? The only outcome will be your death. Death is my servant, for I have defeated Death and am his master."

Harry apparated away, putting himself right in the center of Diagon Alley, next to Hermione, who had walked back after being unable to free her friends.

Voldemort anticipated where he would arrive and sent attack after attack. Sometimes he hit his own servants, who couldn't scurry out of the way quickly enough and were shredded by their Master's curses. Harry dodged and blocked. Side-by-side with Hermione, he was brilliant, the two working together in perfect harmony to shield each other from Voldemort's attacks.

The Dark Lord's power was greater than it had ever been and his skills with a wand were honed by decades of experience and recent intense practice. The spectators were awed at the exchange between the Greatest Dark Wizard their world had ever known and the two teenagers. The two moved more like one being with four arms and two wands, casting shields, counter-curses, and dodging both physically and by apparating, always coordinated with each other so they never left the other unguarded. A solid five minute exchange chewed up the street around them, but left them untouched. Untouched until Voldemort managed to break through Harry's shield with a succession of ten overpowered blasting curses, the last hitting Harry squarely in the chest. He was thrown into a wall, the Elder Wand flying from his hand.

Voldemort reached out his hand to summon it, still not knowing the wand's significance, but wanting to deprive Harry of his weapon. The Elder Wand started to arc towards Riddle, but Hermione intercepted it with a diving leap. She landed in a shoulder roll and blasted a stream of black holes at Tom Riddle, more numerous and more powerful than she'd ever cast before now that she was armed with the Elder Wand.

Voldemort was barely able to apparate away from the intense pull before the building collapsed where he had been, the debris shrunk into a tight ball of stone and wood.

Hermione glanced over at Harry, seeing he was well enough to have stood and already had unsheathed his ebony wand. She tossed him the Elder Wand while moving her vinewood wand back to her right hand. During the switch, Voldemort struck from behind her, trussing her in tight loops of rope and binding her to the wall next to the others.

Harry cast dispelling charm after charm, ripping at the ropes with his bare hands until his fingers bled, but he discovered the same thing Hermione had earlier and was unable to touch Voldemort's binding. He staggered as Riddle hit him in the back with a cutting curse, the powerful spell tearing through his dueling robes and causing blood to drip onto the ground.

Luna stepped away from where she'd been trying to free Ron and hit Voldemort with a series of spells. His robe became very tight and bound his arms to his body, flipping a fold over his face. He started to flip over, before he was able to dispel her attacks. With another gesture, Riddle had bound Harry's Ravenclaw ally, sticking her next to Ron. He continued his wand movements, binding Sirius, Remus, and Tonks. His power was simply too great for any to resist.

Snape walked up, casually blending into the Death Eaters. Voldemort noticed him immediately.

"Ah, Severus, you have joined us."

"Yes, Master." Snape replied flatly, "I had to delay the Order of the Phoenix, but once that was done, I arrived as soon as I could."

"Welcome." Voldemort said, "Now we will break Harry Potter for good. I killed his parents when he was but a baby. My servant caused his Godfather to be locked in Azkaban. I killed Moody, his teacher and mentor. I have bound Dumbledore, his Master, and the Mudblood, his wife. His best friends are all at my mercy. I am sure you are attached to these people, are you not, Harry Potter?"

Harry gritted his teeth and rose, blood dripping down his back, but starting to slow as his body quickly healed. He faced Voldemort and dozens of Death Eaters.

"You will not touch my friends, Riddle!" Harry yelled, submerging himself even deeper into his occlumency. The fight was all but lost, but he refused to yield.

"Oh, I won't touch them." Voldemort said dismissively, "I will just end them."

Gesturing to his Death Eaters, Lord Voldemort triggered his plan to break the spirit of Harry Potter. Each Death Eater pointed his wand at one of Harry's friends and allies. Then, in unison, they all cast.

"Avada kedavra!"

A/N: I never planned to be one of those authors that beg for reviews, but I am a bit disappointed in the numbers of reviews lately. Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to review.

I am reaching a stopping point in this story and will likely wrap it up soon. I plan to continue to write in this world eventually if I get the sense people really want to read it. I like the characters I have developed. Writing takes a lot of time and effort, though, so if it's not appreciated, I could fill my time with reading instead. So please let me know whether this is worth it or not.

The timing of my next chapter will depend on reviews. I left this at a cliffhanger for that reason. I'm hoping to get enough to put this story at a decent number of reviews total. So if you're reading and wouldn't mind saying so, I'd appreciate it!