Unofficial Portkey Archive

Draco's Favorite Nurse by burgosdamasco
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Draco's Favorite Nurse

burgosdamasco

Ginny knew this day would come. One day their paths would cross again. She had saved his life, and therefore they were bonded. Yet never had she imagined their meeting like this! No- in her imagination she'd be walking down Diagon Alley and some straggly bum would bother her for a few knuts. Being the kindhearted person she was, Ginny would give him a few galleons, only to notice as she dropped it in his tin cup that it was Draco Malfoy. Ginny would be on her way, shaking her head sadly that the years in Azkaban hadn't fared well for Malfoy.

He was a far, far cry from a straggly bum! Had he gown taller? The black suit underneath his white lab coat probably cost more than her entire nursing education, plus her muggle car payments and rent combined. Damn! She stifled a laugh glancing at his manicured fingernails. Some things never change! His blonde hair was no longer in that horrific gel that she remembered, although it was still kept short and neat. Ginny was trained to perform thorough assessments of the human body in any situation, clothed or unclothed - and assess she did. Draco Malfoy still had the physique of a man who played Quidditch daily.

An inner war raged through Ginny's head.

Whoa girl - you're checking out Draco Malfoy.

And why not? I am a grown woman, is this not a normal response? I'm just responding biologically to visual stimuli. In effect releasing certain hormones that are increasing my desire to run my hands through his hair……...

Just like a splash of cold water, a warning voice reared its head. Remember the last time you saw him - black robes and dark mark?

"Cat got your tongue?," His eyes crinkled around the edges with laughter as he slowly drawled out Ginny's name, knowing full well that it would irritate her, "Nurse Weassssley."

Oh, he was definitely the same prick he'd always been. Ginny berated herself for having indecent thoughts about Malfoy. Her brain cells didn't deserve to be wasted on slimy gits like him.

It didn't matter if Draco Malfoy was in a superior position. She was going to tell him exactly what was on her mind. "You're the last person I would ever suspect of working here. Imagine that - a Malfoy at a free clinic helping the poor! I just might stroke!"

"Is that your idea of a welcome?" He asked with an eyebrow cocked. " A person with any sort of manners would welcome an old school chum with open arms."

That's the best welcome you are going to get! "We could hardly be called chums Malfoy . "

Draco crossed his arms as he leaned against the table. "Silly me, I thought that as coworkers we could start off on a clean slate."

"Memories don't die so quickly…" Ginny struggled to say his name, "H-Healer Malfoy." She could still picture those badges that read Weasley is Our King. She had so wanted to stuff them up his arse.

"The last time I saw you, let me think…………." Draco tapped his fingers to his temple as if in deep concentration, "I pushed you off your broom during the last Quidditch game of the year. Is that why you hate me Nurse………..Weasssssley?" again he drew out her last name.

That's when it hit her. He doesn't remember! Ginny suppressed a grin. Last time I saw you Malfoy, you were stark naked on a hospital cot, so there! Beat that one Ferret!

He cocked an eyebrow at her, "What, pray tell, is so funny?"

Ginny would get him - she would get him good. "Hmm………" Ginny said mimicking the exact expression Draco had used while tapping her own fingers to her temple, " The last time I saw you -your face was on a police poster."

A flash of something dark had crossed his grey eyes. His eyes bore into hers and it took much stamina for her brown eyes to stare right back. Ginny almost felt sorry she had said it. Now she wished for his barbs instead of this awkward silence. When Chief Healer Weiss entered, she felt a momentary sense of relief.

Healer Leah Weiss was the Head Healer in charge of all healthcare personnel at the clinic. This was the person whom Ginny reported to. Ginny respected her passion for medicine and the care of the poor. Her experience encompassed all of wizarding medicine. At 90 she still found time to see patients although her roster was much smaller than the other Healers. Her main job was finding funding for the Free Clinic.

Questions formed in her mind at the sight of Healer Weiss. Ever since laying eyes on Malfoy, she wondered how a Deatheater could end up in a medical facility. It seemed like a horrible oversight. Her fellow healers and nurses may not know the power and fear the name Malfoy stood for. But she did. The memory of her first year sent a slight shudder thorough her. It just seemed too dangerous. There were background checks one had to pass before being admitted to Healer School, not to mention at the various hospitals and clinics. As for Healer Weiss judgement, she would have to trust her.

A wide smile crept across Healer Weiss's face, "Healer Malfoy, I am so glad to see that you've made our Head Nurse's acquaintance!" Her eyes twinkled in a way that reminded Ginny of Dumbledore's.

Draco nodded, "Nurse Weasley and I are old friends from Hogwarts."

Ha! Friends. Ginny cringed at the thought.

"Perfect! I was going to call you into my office Ginny. Since you both are here I might as well let you know the schedule changes."

Ginny started to feel her stomach twist. Ginny was the one who made the nursing schedule and if Healer Weiss changed it, there was nothing at all she could do.

Healer Weiss walked over to them slowly, grasping onto her cane, "Nurse Ginny is the best nurse in this facility. Your first week here - Healer Malfoy was probably a bit disorienting with a different nurse assigned to you each day. For that I apologize. I want your stay at this clinic to be not only rewarding but comfortable. ……which is why I am assigning Nurse Ginny to work with you permanently. I assure you she will be a great asset. "

Ginny started to protest, "What?? But Healer Weiss - I've been working with Healer's Ahmed and Dinh……."

"I hope I didn't step on your head nurse duties, Ginny dear. I've had Leslie and Estella reassigned to them."

Ginny forced a smile, "Not at all. I am looking forward to working with Healer Malfoy. I'm sure there is much he can teach me."

She felt Malfoy's hot breath in her ear, "You have no idea."

Ginny elbowed him in his ribs discreetly hoping that Healer Weiss hadn't noticed.

"It's settled then. Ginny - after lunch you'll start working with Healer Malfoy." She headed for the door. Stopping just before the exit she turned around, her eyes sparkling, "I know that you'll work together fabulously! My mother was a seer and I happen to have some of her gifts." With a wink at both of them she departed.

What was that about? Ginny would have to attribute Healer Weiss's admission to belief in fortune telling to her advanced age.

More tense silence followed that Malfoy thankfully broke, "I never believed in that seer nonsense. I think it's utter…."

"Bullshit." Ginny finished sharing her first smile with Malfoy. Healer Weiss was in charge of the entire clinic so she was entitled to believe what she wanted.

"You know Weasley, you've improved a lot. You're actually quite…… pretty." His eyes roved up and down the redhead approvingly. She actually made scrubs attractive!

Ginny's face burned. There she was in baggy scrubs that hid her curves and made her feel rather sexless and unfeminine. To top it off she was wearing scrubs with Mickey Mouse imprinted all over them due to the fact that she had assisted Healer Dinh in the Pediatric department. Malfoy was mocking her! How dare he!

" Malfoy, You are quite a good liar, it's a pity you have no other redeeming qualities." With that she slammed the door to the staff lounge wishing that there was some spell that would make her lunch hour last forever.

To be continued