Unofficial Portkey Archive

A Heart Unfolds by theweirdgirl
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

A Heart Unfolds

theweirdgirl

The morning sun hit Ginny full force. The light flooded her glazed from sleep brown eyes as they gently fluttered open. She yawned obnoxiously as she got up, receiving a few string of poorly made obscenities from her roommates. Ginny had definitely changed over the summer. She knew it and the rest of the male population knew it. She stretched her arms lazily above her head. Ginny rapidly took a lukewarm shower and got dressed in a pair of black jeans and a white blouse neatly pressed under her robe and her Gryffindor colored tie. She slipped into her loose fitting black sneakers over her knee length gray socks and tied a tight knot. She ran a brush through her thick hair and grabbed her bag to start off the day and get into the Great Hall. When she reached the common room, Dean stood there with a model perfect smile, waiting patiently for her.

"Ready?" he grinned.

"Yeah," she replied, with a fake cheery smile.

Dean took a hold of her black bag like a gentleman and easily juggled his bag that was slung carelessly on his left shoulder. He held a strong yet gentle grasp on her thin hand. As they walked into the Great Hall together, hand in hand, heads automatically turned to them, but conversations never wavered. They both walked over to the Gryffindor table and sat down next to each other. Ginny could feel a pair of stormy gray eyes boring into her back, but she refused to acknowledge it.

"She should be with me," Draco thought jealously.

"Hey! Draco!" a voice called out.

"Hey, Zabini," Draco muttered, not turning to even face the boy.

Blaise Zabini was a 7th year Slytherin with beach blonde hair and piercing blue eyes that girls would swoon endlessly over. Those were only some of the reasons why he and Draco automatically clicked as friends, aside from their sarcasm, bitter cynicism and their oh-so wonderful wit that was as sharp as blades.

"Virginia's got a new puppy? Already?" Blaise exclaimed.

"Didn't know you fancied her," Draco mumbled.

"Right Draco. Just like every other guy isn't waiting for a chance with her. Damn… I was going to ask her out, too," Blaise sighed.

That innocent, or not quite so innocent comment made Draco's blood boil. Why was everyone trying to take her away from him? Why was he even thinking about her? Why did she have him so captivated? Why did she have to be a damned Weasley out of all things? Suddenly, the sounds of wings flapping filled the air as owls came swooping down. He wasn't expecting anything so he went back to eating his meal. He was surprised that an official looking bird handed a thin letter to him. It was his father's bird. The Malfoy crest was inscribed into the wax that was in a forest green color on the back. He peeled it off as the bird flew away. It read:

To Draco,

I have found you a suitable wife. Despite her house, she's perfect for you. She was the Lord's choice for you. Her name is Virginia Weasley. She's a Gryffindor. Her father and I have conducted in come business and both had decided that it would be best if our families had been brought together by our offspring. That is where you and Virginia come in. Don't disappoint me or you will regret it. More information will be owled to you soon.

Lucius Malfoy

Draco reread the letter two more times before understanding it fully. He looked up, not at all surprised at seeing a pair of confused cognac eyes staring at him. Obviously she had received the letter also.

"Draco? What's wrong?" Blaise asked.

"What? Oh. Nothing's wrong," he replied.

"Right. And I'm the king of England. Don't lie to me," Blaise warned.

"I'm… betrothed to Ginny," Draco said softly.

"Yeah, right," Blaise grinned roguishly.

Draco shoved the letter into his face. Blaise quickly scanned through the letter before letting out a low whistle of approval.

"You lucky beast. I heard that she's a wild one in the sack," Blaise noted.

"And she's all mine," smirked.

*****

Meanwhile, Ginny was about to burst out crying. The letter had decided and ultimately summed up her entire future. Though not nearly as volatile or demanding as his letter, it all came down to the same conclusion. She was marrying Draco Malfoy out of all people. She never thought of a future with him. She couldn't commit to one person for the rest of her life. Her longest relationship was four months, which was with her childhood crush, Harry.

"Gin? You okay?" Dean questioned.

"Yeah… Just peachy," she mumbled dejectedly.

"It's almost time for class. Want to go?" he questioned worriedly.

She just nodded numbly. Ginny excelled at Herbology and Potion Making so she took advanced classes with the seventh years and her entire schedule was changed. As of that year, the Gryffindors had Herbology, Potions and Divination with the wretched Slytherins and she was just damned cursed to be stuck with them at two out of three classes. She hadn't even realized that she had moved until she saw Professor Sprout at the doorway to Green house 12, watching all the students pour in. Everyone scurried to his or her assigned seats. As the class settled down, Professor Sprout began.

"Today, we're working on a dangerous plant called the Siter. Instructions will be given as I read aloud the partners. Everyone will be grouped into three's. They are as followed: Hermione Granger, Pansy Parkinson and Seamus Finnigan at table one. Dean Thomas, Millicent Bulstrode and Gregory Goyle at table two. Ronald Weasley, Blaise Zabini and Vincent Crabbe at table three. Draco Malfoy, Virginia Weasley and Harry Potter at table four," Professor Sprout droned on.

Ginny didn't hear anything after that. With all the people to be grouped with, she gets her lousy ex-boyfriend and her soon to be husband.

"What did I do to deserve this?" she thought nastily.

Everyone began to get together at his or her table. She lazily strolled over to the fourth one where Harry and Draco were already occupying. The only seat left was the one directly in the middle.

"What luck," she grumbled to herself.

She sat down between the two boys glaring at each other with undiluted hatred. She rolled her eyes heavenward, cursing whichever God that thought this was funny and cursed it again for its bad sense of humor.

"Alright. One person has to paralyze the plant in front of you and be careful it doesn't touch your skin. Tap the dirt twice and say palido. It's a temporary paralysis spell only for plants. Keep your wand on the dirt at all times. Someone else will pluck the poisonous pink leaves off with gloves and the least partner will slice it into two halves. Any questions?" she asked.

No one said a word. The only sound made was the thrashing from the three foot plant.

"Good. Begin," she smiled.

"I'll paralyze it then," Ginny mumbled.

"I'll pluck them," Harry chirped.

"And I'll shred them," Draco said drearily.

"Palido!" Ginny cried as her wand tapped the dirt two times and stayed immobile upon it.

Harry quickly plucked the leaves off with his tan colored dragon hide gloves and set them in front of Draco. Draco slipped on his own finely tailored black dragon hide gloves, custom made to fit his thin hands and began to slice the pink plant leaves.

"So… You're dating Dean?" Draco asked non-chalantly, not looking away from his task.

"Not that it's any of your business, but yes," Ginny replied haughtily.

"You know what you have to do, don't you?" Draco questioned.

Ginny faltered a bit in her answer, but Draco caught it. She cursed herself for the momentary weakness.

"Yes," was her soft reply.

"Good. Then end it with him," he smirked.

"No," Ginny stated firmly.

"No? And why is that?" Draco asked.

"Didn't you know? I'm notoriously known for not committing to anyone for a long period of time," she answered.

"But you're marrying me," he frowned, crease3s marring his delicate face.

"What?" Harry shrieked.

They were so caught up in their stimulating conversation that they had forgotten he was even there, working right between them.

"I'm marrying Draco," Ginny said with detachment.

"Why?" Harry questioned angrily.

"I wasn't aware that it was any of your business, Potter," Draco stated impassively.

Harry muttered a few obscenities that would have made your mother blush under his breath.

"I'm not promising you anything, Draco. I'll probably cheat more often than you do," she smiled ruefully.

"I don't cheat!" Draco replied defensively.

Ginny snorted her disbelief.

"I doubt that. Anyways, I warned you. I won't be the perfect wife. I can't cook. I don't clean and I party extensively. I won't hold you back from anything as long as it's vice versa. I'll probably rarely ever wear my wedding ring at that. Just don't expect anything I can't give. Remember that," she said.

Ginny, despite her childhood, had never learned to cook and hated to clean up her room. She had most definitely changed throughout the years since the Chamber. She had fallen in love with Tom and was never again ashamed to be herself. She loved all those things she did and she wouldn't change for anyone.

"I have a few conditions. A proposition if you will," Draco grinned.

"And the terms are…?" Ginny prodded.

"Give me until the end of the 7th year to fall in love with me and you stay faithful. If you don't, you can do what ever you please. Deal?" he questioned.

Ginny was silent for a few moments, thinking it over, before answering carefully.

"I guess… It's only six months, but I do get to date whomever I want during the time, okay?" she asked.

"Okay," Draco replied, thinking of all the ways he could torture her boyfriends.

"No interferences from you, right?" she questioned, as if reading his mind.

"No," he mumbled dejectedly.

"Good," she smiled happily.

The bell rang, signaling the end of the period. Professor Sprout assigned them ten inches of scroll explaining the proper use and the properties of the Siter due Monday. Ginny sauntered over to Dean sexily while Harry walked over to Ron and Hermione, not telling them about anything until they were to go up to the Common room. He decided to only tell Hermione because Ron would blow a fuse. Draco glided over to Crabbe and, Goyle.

"Draco!" Pansy's voice screeched.

Draco inwardly winced as if in pain.

"Yes?" he asked calmly.

"What's this I hear about you marrying that Gryffindor wench?" she shrieked.

"That would be my fiancé you're talking about," Draco muttered through gritted teeth.

"What about me?" she squeaked.

"What about you?" he laughed cruelly.

"Draco! How dare you speak to me that way! Wait until your father hears about this insubordination with that bint," Pansy sniffed.

"Be my guest," he replied coolly.

He wasn't about to tell her that his father had arranged it or that his family hated the Parkinson's with such abject animosity. All she did was huff and stomp her foot, showing her impatience. Crabbe and Goyle just stood there with a black look on their rounded faces.

"I must be on my way. Good bye," Draco sneered.

He walked off with his two lackeys following closely behind and leaving an aghast and dumbfounded Pansy with her jaw hung low. Most unladylike.