Unofficial Portkey Archive

HPX3: Harry Potter & The Flames of the Pheonix by Classic Cowboy
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

HPX3: Harry Potter & The Flames of the Pheonix

Classic Cowboy

IN LOVING MEMORY OF STEVE "CAPTAIN AMERICA" ROGERS, REST IN PEACE CAP, UNTIL THE JERKS BRING YOU BACK TO US!

Chapter 8: The Last Stand pt 1 of 2

You feel like a candle in a hurricane

Just like a picture with a broken frame

Alone and helpless

Like you've lost your fight

But you'll be alright

Cause when push comes to shove

You taste what you're made of

You might bend, till you break

Cause its all you can take

On your knees you look up

Decide you've had enough

You get mad you get strong

Wipe your hands shake it off

Then you Stand

Then you Stand

Life's like a novel

With the end ripped out

The edge of a canyon

With only one way down

Take what you're given before it's gone

Start holding on, keep holding on

Cause when push comes to shove

You taste what you're made of

You might bend, till you break

Cause its all you can take

On your knees you look up

Decide you've had enough

You get mad you get strong

Wipe your hands shake it off

Then you Stand

Then you Stand

Every time you get up

And get back in the race

One more, small piece of you

Starts to fall into place

Yeah

Cause when push comes to shove

You taste what you're made of

You might bend, till you break

Cause its all you can take

On your knees you look up

Decide you've had enough

You get mad you get strong

Wipe your hands shake it off

Then you Stand

Then you Stand

-"Stand" by Rascal Flatts

The halls were quiet inside New Hogwarts this late evening. Logan sighed as he walked through them silently using mostly his advanced senses to guide him. It had changed since the rebuild, bigger, more modern, but the spirit, the feel of the Hogwarts he remembered still remained. It reminded him that this was one of the few places he'd ever call home.

"Out after hours, Mr. Potter?" Wolverine turned quickly to see Albus Dumbledore looking down his nose at him with a quirky smirk.

"You know me, Al," Logan smirked, pulling out a cigar and lighting it. "Rules are made to be broken."

"I've had you figured out from the beginning, James," Dumbledore said pulling the cigar from Logan's hand and taking a puff of it himself. "You want everyone to believe you are an invincible warrior, unstoppable and uncontrollable, and in a sense that is correct. But all warriors require one thing to be as such. And that's a place to call home, and someone special to fight for. Without that, what exactly is there to fight for?"

Logan was silent for a moment before pulling out a second cigar and lighting it. "Lily…"

"Lily," Dumbledore repeated sadly. "Once Voldemort is defeated, she will finally be able to be at rest."

"I screwed up a lot with her, Al," Logan said taking a long puff. "I'm not going to screw this one up."

"You torture yourself for no reason, my friend," Dumbledore smiled. "In her eyes you were perfection from the beginning to the very end and if you were to ask the Phoenix now, I'm sure you will get the same response."

"Maybe, books and cleverness didn't really help her, and my stubborn never say die didn't help either…" Logan mused. "How the hell are we going to get out of this alive again?"

"Same way your boy and his friends have for the last few years, same way you have for so many, many years, my friend," Dumbledore said, blowing a smoke circle. "Pure will to live."

---

Harry left the hospital wing room to stand beside the large window wall to watch the sun rise. "How's she doing?" a familiar voice spoke from his left and he turned to see Jean and Scott approaching.

"She's resting well," Harry said glancing back to the rising sun. "She had a good cry earlier but she's doing a bit better now concidering."

"Yeah …"Jean sighed as she and Scott joined him on either side.

"So you two get reacquainted well? I noticed your room was locked …" Harry noted with a smirk, the flush on both their faces answered his question. "I'm glad your back, mum." Harry said putting his arm around Jean then Scott.

"I've put in a call to Mira McTaggert," Scott said changing the subject fast. "She's doing some research on any new age ways of helping repair the damage Cho did to Hermione. If anyone can help her it's Mira."

"I'm just happy Hermione's alive, that was close too close." Harry noted.

"Then you and Hermione should have a strong understanding," Scott looked up at the sun. "While you were … gone she was a mess. We all were, but she took it the hardest."

"I don't plan on doing that again if I can help it." Harry stated, before a PAMF sounded behind them. "What's up Kurt?" Harry asked as the three turned to see Nightcrawler looking panicky.

"Provesser Dumbledore and Xavier need you in the headmaster's chamber NOW," Kurt said before grabbing all three and teleporting.

---

"I hate it when you do that without warning …" Harry breathed as he looked around at the gathered heroes and professors. "What's wrong?"

"Something has happened in London … and that's putting it lightly, very lightly." Captain America stated.

"Like saying Cap likes the American Flag," Iron Man noted earning a dry glare from Cap.

Xavier nodded toward a large monitor before telepathically turning on the Television to CNN. The sight caused Scott, Jean, and Harry to gasp. Flames danced and smoke bellowed from Downtown London England. And high above the city the Deatheater's Mark showed brightly. "And we're standing here watching this why?" Scott asked.

"Gather the troops; we're leaving in twenty minutes." Dumbledore stated, and the group began to file out, but Dumbledore and Xavier called for Harry to wait a moment.

"Harry, we're putting you in command of the front line," Xavier said bluntly. "You're the one who has to find Riddle and stop him. You're the only one who can."

"Me? I tried that once already and if it wasn't for Mum I'd still be dead…" Harry said worriedly.

"He has marked you his equal, you can defeat him," Dumbledore stated placing a hand on the boy's shoulder. "And you won't face him alone, we all will be fighting by your side."

"I'll do what I can …" Harry gulped.

"That is all we ask. Now go and prepare for what will hopefully be your last meeting with that madman." Xavier said with a smile.

---

Harry sighed as he pulled his X-Men uniform from his closet and laid it out on his bed. His mouth was dry and his hands were shaking as he slowly pulled on the uniform shirt and padded slacks. He slide into the jacket and carefully zipped it up before going to his knees to lace up his boots. He inspected himself in the mirror and adjusted his hair and collar slightly.

"I may need you to help me lace my boots, Harry," Hermione said as she limped in on a crutch.

"Excuse me?" Harry turned quickly to see his wounded girlfriend open the closet.

"We're leaving in less then fifteen minutes, I need to get ready." Hermione clarified. "Honestly."

"You're wounded, It'd be best if you sitting this one out." Harry said as carefully as he could … which wasn't enough. This was shown evident as Hermione whirled around so fast she almost lost balance.

"Excuse ME?" Hermione narrowed her chocolate eyes dangerously.

"Hermione, you can barely walk, how do you expect me to let you walk into a war zone?" Harry asked, and realized his mistake as soon as he said it.

"I'm sorry, I must be mistaken but I thought you said LET me?" Hermione growled dangerously.

"H-Hermione …" Harry stammered.

"Harold James Potter …" Hermione limped toward him, her eyes flashing. "You listen to me and you listen well," she growled jabbing her finger into his padded chest. "When you went to find the Sorcerer's Stone, did I stay away and let you do it by yourself? While trying to find out about the attacks in Second Year, did I hid away like we were told? Did I let you go off and get yourself killed trying to save Sirius in Third Year? Even when everyone including MYSELF had doubts about you in fourth year, I didn't leave you, and I'm not leaving you now." She growled.

"You had doubts about me with the Goblet of Fire?" Harry asked taken back, Hermione just cocked an eyebrow. "Right, hero complex …"

"I am NOT going to sit here and wait for word of you dieing on me again," Hermione pressed on.

"Ok, Ok, I surrender, but you stay with Dumbledore and Xavier." Harry said placing his hands on her shoulders gently. "You have to stay safe."

"Same to you." Hermione smiled before moving in to kiss his lips gently.

"I wish I had a camera, this is a definite Kodak moment." Hermione and Harry turned to see Ron and Jubilee at the door grinning at them.

"You guys ready for this?" Harry asked as the couple walked into the room.

"If you try to talk me out of it like you just did Hermione, I will punch you in the mouth, Mate." Ron stated, putting an arm around his American girlfriend. "I can relate to Hermione, only I now have three people I love going into this fight. I'd be nutters not to be there by your sides."

"I say when this is over, let's all go to Vegas for a weekend, have some real fun!" Jubilee stated popping a few fireworks in her hands.

"Sounds like a plan to me," Hermione stated.

"Then let's go kick some butt so we can get to celebrating!" Ron said planting his arms around Harry and Hermione's shoulders.

---

Explosions and screams echoed down town London as Magneto levitated on a platform with Voldemort. UN reinforcements ran toward them firing machine guns.

"Would you deal with the Muggles?" Voldemort asked ignoring the approaching troopers.

Magneto turned dull eyes toward the group and held up his hands, pulling the machine guns from the soldiers' hands. "Homo-Sapiens and their gun…" he sighed as he caused the guns to open fire on their owners.

"We got Company, Boss!" Blob called and pointed as the SHIELD Helicarrier hovered a safe distance away.

"Potter …" Voldemort growled as the Order of the Phoenix, the X-Men, the Avengers, the Fantastic Four, and the entourage of heroes approached the army of Deatheaters and Brotherhood members.

The heroes stopped and Harry nodded to his fellow X-Man and friend Nightcrawler to step forward between the heroes and mutant and magical terrorists. "He, who heard the sound of thy holy trumpet, and took not warning, he hath clearly wandered too far from the word of God." Nightcrawler spoke clearly and loudly "And Tom Marvolo Riddle, your hour has come! Let's get it on! It's time to get back on the path!"

"We're outnumbered …" Dumbledore said matter-of-factly from the back line.

"Then tonight we dine in hell." Hermione stated earning a shocked look from Xavier and Dumbledore. "What? Graphic Novels count as books too."

"Avengers!" Captain America held up his shield, "Heroes, ASSEMBLE AND ATTACK!!" He called and with battle cries and roars, the army of heroes, wizards and witches broke into a run toward the attacking army.

"X-Men, remember the plan!" Cyclops said blasting a broom flying Deatheater out of the sky.

"Right, One Eye," Wolverine said extending his claws as majority of the X-Men and the Fantastic Four made a line before the leaderships of the force. "This is the Last Stand."

The attacking force made up of the Avengers, the Wizards and Witches of the Order of the Phoenix, SHIELD soldiers, and other heroes split off to attack the army of demons, dark wizards, monsters and mutants.

---

Harry dashed through the burning streets dodging spells and attacks while returning curses and telekinesis attacks of his own.

"Hello little X-Man!" Pyro grinned flames dancing around his hands.

"Hey there, Hot Head," Harry replied pointing his wand at the hydrokinetic mutant. "You ready to …"

"Incendio." A voice spoke from behind Pyro.

He glanced back right as his lighter fluid tanks strapped to his back ignited sending him rocketing through the air.

"Hermione I told you … You?" Harry started to chastise only to take a defensive stance as the pale skinned dark haired seductress Sinistra grinned at him.

"Hi Harry," She grinned flirtily, her blood red eyes dancing mischievously.

"Ok, I don't have time for you …" Harry grunted leveling his wand on the clone.

"Wha? Not even for a quickie, lover?" She asked walking toward him with an exaggerated sway to her hips. "I can be like Hermione you know? After all I do have her goodie-goodie memories."

"I leave you alone for five minutes and your already chasing girls in skin tight costumes without me again," Ron said approaching the two casting a few spells at passing by Dark wizards and mutants.

"Can I burn her face off, it looks too much like Hermies'," Jubilee asked her hands popping with energy following behind her boyfriend.

"Look, I'm on your side, see I just blasted the bad guy!" Sinistra held up her hands innocently.

"You're a backstabber, we know that already," Ron pointed out, and a slight hurt expression crossed the girl's crimson orbs.

"Honestly, this is a warzone boys, do you really want to slap an extra hand away," Sinistra chided, sounding way to much like Hermione for the boys' own sanity.

"Fine you can help, but Ron, Jubilee, you keep a close eye on her." Harry said looking hard at the pale skinned clone.

"Roger that, fearless leader!" Jubilee saluted.

"Great and my first course of business will be doing what I … Hermione wanted." She said, instantly making Harry nervous. But the girl instead turned her back to the three, her hand glowing bright yellowish-red before firing a burst of plasma through the crowd, clearing away a trail through Voldemort's army. "GO! Voldemort's that way! Kick his arse, Harry!"

---

"It seems the groups are evenly matched," Xavier noted as Dumbledore, Hermione and the rest of the teaching staff held off against air assaults behind the X-Men's line.

"Charles!" a voice called from above and the group looked up to see Magneto levitating toward them. "Why must you throw away your life so recklessly?"

"One could ask yourself that question," Dumbledore said standing between the two mutants.

"The much debated Professor Dumbledore, I presume?" Magneto noted landing before him.

"And the much debated Magneto I presume?" Dumbledore added holding up his wand.

"Al!" Wolverine growled out.

"Stand back," Dumbledore held up his hand to the X-Man then turned to the equally angry Hermione. "I have placed ruffians in their place many years as headmaster. Let me add another notch to my punishment staff."

"You speak bold words, but you are no better than a Homosapian," Magneto growled, "Depending on powers you do not understand nor deserve!" He shot only to fly back from the burst of magic from Dumbledore's wand.

"You talk too much," Dumbledore noted.

"You dare challenge Magneto the Master of Magnetism?" Magneto raged climbing back to his feet.

"Dear boy, I dared five minutes ago." Dumbledore replied his eyes dancing along with the mischievous smile on his aged face.

"SHOVE HIS HELMET UP HIS ASS!" the call came from the X-Men's line.

"Scott!" came Storm's shocked shout.

"I believe this calls for a duel, Mr. Lehnsherr," Dumbledore said with a bow as he magically changed his wand into a staff. "That is unless you would like to be seen a coward before your allies and enemies both?"

"Very well, prepare to fall in front of your peers and enemies," Magneto replied magnetic energy popping around him.

"We shall see who falls and who stands," Dumbledore replied magically catching jagged pieces of metal flying toward him and throwing them to the side. "Not bad. Are you finished warming up?"

Then much to the gathered group's surprise Dumbledore leapt into the air landing behind Magneto and slamming the end of his staff into the bend of Magneto's knee. "A true Wizard knows to not depend solely on magic when other weapons are also in ones disposal. Remember this Ms. Granger, and pass it on."

Magneto blocked the next blow with a piece of metal before sending a few small shards along Dumbledore's side, grazing cloth and skin.

The only sign Dumbledore felt the slices were a slight gasp before he fired a point blank flare charm at Magneto's back, catching the leader of the Brotherhood's cape on fire.

Magneto leapt away and threw his burning cape away. Magneto with a cry of rage lifted a car into the air with his powers before tossing it right at Dumbledore who ducked and rolled to dodge the attack. "You blame mankind for bigotry, but the only one displaying intolerance and racism here is you, my friend." Dumbledore said firing a few stun charms which were dispelled in Magneto's quickly raised strong magnetic field.

No more words were spoken between the two for some time as spells and attacks were exchanged, leaving both aged warriors in torn clothing and bleeding bodies. "I give you this final offer," Dumbledore spoke up, blood trickling down his beard from his lip. "Yield and you won't be finished."

"I won't be finished here, Old Man," Magneto growled, panting heavily. "I will crush you, and then I will bring your precious Hogwarts down for a second time, this time with your precious students inside it, screaming before their lives are crushed from their bodies!"

Dumbledore's grip on his staff tightened to the point his knuckles were white. "Then so be it." Dumbledore growled raising his staff before lowering it in defensive stance. "If you believe you can pass me, come and pass me."

With battle cries the two fighters shot toward one another, like jousting knights, Dumbledore popping with magical energy and Magneto with jagged metal flying around him. Their pass was too fast for one's naked eye, even Wolverine's, and the two at opposite ends of their makeshift battlefield they came to a stop, both staring forward.

Then they both in unison dropped to their knees and fell forward.

"Professor!" Hermione limped toward her fallen professor with the X-Men and Hogwarts professors behind her. She dropped to her knees at his side and gently rolled him to his back. "Professor!"

"I am alright," He said, grunting as he carefully pulled a single jagged piece of metal from his side. "Though I imagine I have some bed rest ahead of me…"

"Is he dead?" Cyclops asked glancing to the fallen Magneto.

Wolverine sniffed the air, "Nope, the lucky bastard, but I bet he'll be feeling that ass kicking for a while."

Jean who has yet to enter the combat walked toward them then. "Professor Xavier," She said in a British accent, obviously the Phoenix in control. "Harry is about to face Voldemort."

"Go, back him up," Dumbledore coughed, "Ms. Granger and my staff will take well enough care of me, Harry may need your support."

"Alright, X-Men let's move out. Wait," Cyclops ordered before stopping, "Where's Wolverine?"

---

Harry dashed across the battlefield, blasting Mutants and Wizards with spells and telekinesis bursts before motion before him brought him to a stop. "So we meet again, Potter," hissed a familiar voice.

"Hello again, Tom," Harry said standing proud and tall in his X-Men uniform.

"Do you enjoy being killed by me so much that you come back for seconds, Potter?" Voldemort hissed approaching the youth before hissing a spell raising the ground they stood on. "Shall we move this to a more private arena?" he asked sitting them on a nearby rooftop. "Let your friends, allies and loved ones watch you die for a second time, Potter."

"I won't be the one who dies here, not this time," Harry said brandishing his wand. "I have too much to live for; too much to fight for. What have you got, Riddle?"

"More than enough to crush you." Voldemort growled.

"Then, as Kurt said earlier," Harry said taking a combat stance. "Let's get it on."

TO BE CONCLUDED…