Unofficial Portkey Archive

HPX3: Harry Potter & The Flames of the Pheonix by Classic Cowboy
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

HPX3: Harry Potter & The Flames of the Pheonix

Classic Cowboy

The Slap heard Around the World

---

You made up your mind
It was time it was over
After we had come so far
But I think there's enough
Pieces of forgiveness
Somewhere in my broken heart.

I would not have chosen
The road you have taken
It has left us miles apart
But I think I can still
Find the will to keep goin'
Somewhere in my broken heart

So fly
Go ahead and fly
Until you find out who you are
And I
I will keep my love unspoken
Somewhere in my broken heart

I hope that in time
You will find what you long for
Love that's written in the stars
And when you finally do
I think you will see it's
Somewhere in my broken heart

Girl, I …
I will keep my love unspoken
Somewhere in my broken heart

I hope that in time
You will find what you long for
Love that's written in the stars
And when you finally do
I think you will see it's
Somewhere in my broken
Somewhere in my broken
Somewhere in my broken heart.

"Somewhere in my Broken Heart" - Billy Dean

---

"I believe I have a lot of explaining to do, don't I?" the Phoenix said as she sat down on a couch in Professor Dumbledore's office surrounded by heroes and teachers alike.

"Ya think, Sugah?" Rogue said bluntly, ignoring Gambit nudging her to calm down, " Ya DIED, Jeanie, Ya was dead as a door knob, and we saw Harry go down to that killin' curse thingy, and low and behold here ya both come walkin' in fit as a fiddle! It gives me a splittin' headache, Ah'm tellin' ya."

"Shouldn't Harry be here to hear this?" Cyclops asked, looking around the room, "And where's Hermione … oh …"

"Caught on faster then a tomcat walkin' into a dog lot, didn't ya, Sugah?" Rogue mumbled teasingly.

"Anyway," Prof. Xavier cut off the banter, "I believe you were going to explain why you and Harry returned from the literal dead, Jean?"

"It all began seventeen years ago…" the Phoenix said, her voice shifting to purely Jean Gray's as she took Cyclops' hand. "When Tom Riddle attacked the Potters, Lily used a shielding charm that she was studying; one that she thought would be strong enough to stop the killing curse. She was only partly right. The spell rebounded on the curse, and the Riddle's power from it split three ways among the three people in it: Darkness, Light, and a neutral control. All three powers entered the souls of those inside the room. Riddle took the negative power, and Lily took the positive. But the power was too great for their mortal bodies to hold, thus they became spirits: Dark Lord Voldemort, and the Phoenix, guardian of the light."

"And the neutral control?" Dumbledore asked knowingly, "Harry I assume?"

"You assume correctly, Professor," the Phoenix said in Lily's voice, "If Voldemort was to take Harry life and thus the central power, he would have full control of his power."

"But Voldemort did kill Harry," Cyclops added rubbing his face, "Wouldn't he be all powerful?"

"When I returned Harry's life to his body, it separated some of Harry's old power from Voldemort back into him," Phoenix said, returning to Jean's voice, "Voldemort is stronger, but we stopped him from being 'all powerful'.

"Not much," Gambit spoke up, "But Gambit tinks we should take what we can get, no?"

"Gambit is right," Professor Xavier said, rolling forward. "Harry's return has strengthened the resolve of those wizards and witches present, and also of the X-Men. And more Heroes are gathering even now. We stand a good chance at winning this."

"Indeed," Dumbledore nodded, "We shall gather everyone together during dinner tonight to inform the matters of the state at the school and the war. Any complaints?"

"None that I'm aware of, Professor," Prof. McGonagall spoke up, standing to her feet, "I shall inform the houses leaders and prefects to tell the Houses of the event tonight."

---

Elsewhere in Great Britain, blood dripped down the stairs of an old abandoned house used as a Deatheater staging base. "Too easy," Wolverine grumbled, lighting his cigar, and glancing down at the blood soaked cloaked bodies. "You'd think Tommy boy would have better help."

"Hmm … I smell a rat …" Wolverine grinned, as he heard a pop down stairs.

"W-What's happened here?" Wormtail whimpered seeing the clawed, dead bodies.

"Oh you know, Pete, they all decided to stupidly run right into my claws," Wolverine said leaning against the railing of the stairs, smiling at the Deatheater.

"W-Wolverine?" Wormtail back peddled. "What have you done?"

"Oh little bit of this, a little bit of that, slaughtered some of your friends, hoping to maybe catch your boss on the pointy end of my claws sooner or later," Wolverine said unsheathing his claws.

"As you can see, my Lord isn't here, so you can go away and n-not hurt me," Wormtail tried timidly.

"Oh I don't think so," Wolverine glared at the chubby Deatheater. "I told Lil letting you be our secret keeper was a mistake."

"Y-y-y-y-y-y-y-y-y-y-you r-r-remember?" Wormtail turned deathly pale. "James, my old friend, it wasn't personal, I … uh … I didn't know at the time! Yeah that's it! I didn't know, he … he said he was a friend and only wanted to see the baby!"

"You won't worm out of it this time," Wolverine jumped down and grabbed Pettigrew by the collar and picked him up off his feet. "For what you did, I aught to gut you right here and right now."

Wormtail whimpered, and let out an eep when Wolverine dropped him to the ground, "But I'm going to let you go. I want you to tell Dog I'm coming. And hell's comin' with me." He then glanced down at Wormtail's silver hand. "Did Dog give you that?" Wolverine asked, and Wormtail nodded quickly and fearfully. "Ok, just so you know, what he gives…" he said and with a 'snikt' his claws came down on Wormtail's silver wrist, sending the silver hand tumbling to the floor. "I take away."

Wormtail whimpered loudly and gripped his bleeding arm before apperating away. Logan brushed his hands together, and started out when he saw a copy of the Daily Prophet on the table beside the entrance. "What this …" He said before his eyes widened reading the headline: HARRY POTTER, THE BOY WHO STILL LIVES. "Well … I'll be damned …" Logan grinned, walking out the door whistling.

---

"I'm impressed," Jubilee said in the large central chamber of New Hogwarts. She was standing next to her boyfriend gazing at the restored moving stairways.

"How so?" Ron asked, glancing at the Asian-American girl, then back to Spider-Man who was doing a small web swinging exercise in the large open space.

"Oh, I don't know …" Jubilee brought her forefinger up her lips in mock-confusion, "Just you've been around Spider-Man for the last hour and you haven't freaked once."

"Probably because of my charming personality?" Spider-Man said swinging down to stand beside them, "I trust you enjoyed the show?"

"Nope, nothing charming about you, Web-head," Ron smirked at the red and blue clad hero.

"Many of the ladies might disagree with you there, Ronniekens." Spider-Man crossed his arms, looking at Ron with a tilted head.

"What's so charming about a hero who's named after and received his powers from a puny little bug?" Ron asked teasingly, "Woo it's a big bad spidey-widey."

"Correction," Jubilee piped in, "A puny little bug that sends you running away screaming like a small child."

"Et tu, Jubilation?" Ron gasped, clinging to his chest in mock-shock.

The group broke into chuckles when a fourth voice added into the laughter, sending Spider-Man into sudden somberness. "Oh no, not him …"

"Hello, Spider-Man, We thought we'd find you here." A sinister voice spoke from the shadows, causing Ron to let out a high-pitched eep.

Ron's eyes widened when a monster stepped out of the shadows, giving a fangy smile to the group. Its black skin looked somewhat like Spider-Man's costume, with a large white spider-symbol on its torso. Its large white eyes were similar to Spider-Man's eye coverings and his face was smooth and round like Spider-Man's mask, only instead of a full face, it had a large fanged mouth, filled with jagged teeth.

"What the bloody hell …" Ron whimpered, As Spider-Man jumped between the two teenagers and the black monstrosity.

"What are you doing here, Brock?" Spider-Man asked in a fighting stance.

"Xavier called out to heroes, Spider-Man," the monster said, a long snake-like tongue flopping out of his mouth as it spoke, "We are a hero, are we not?"

"No, you're a schizophrenic freak, Venom!" Spider-Man shot.

"You wound us, Parker. Anyway … We have been told of whom we are to fight with," the monster known as Venom crossed his arms over his chest. "We shall enjoy dining on this Voldemort's flesh and grinding his bones into toothpicks for our use. But we are not here to save this god forsaken world; we are here to make sure you live, Parker. For your blood belongs on our hands, and our hands alone!"

The monster sniffed the air, "Is that pot pie? We love pot pie. See you later, Parker, We'll be watching you!" the monster walked casually past the group toward the great hall, causing screams by all the students he passed.

"Fighting a psycho with a psycho," Spider-Man groaned, "That's marvelous."

"What … was that thing?" Ron whimpered watching Venom's path.

"You really don't want to know, Ron," Spider-Man shrugged, "Come on, time for supper!" he said, ending the conversation as quickly as possible.

---

Hermione's whole body stiffened before she collapsed on Harry's chest, breathing in pants. She rolled off him slightly, still clinging to him with a content smile on her face. "Ok … I feel a lot better now … thanks, love."

"Yeah, I missed that too," Harry whispered, kissing her forehead.

"I have to confess, that was my last test to see if you were really my Harry and not some trick or weird dream," Hermione sighed snuggling against him.

"So did I pass it?" Harry asked with a lopsided grin.

"Four times, not as high as our usual count," Hermione grinned, "But we've had a busy day. You passed."

"I'm just glad your back and won't be going out there again," Hermione said seriously, snuggling into his chest.

Harry started to reply when a loud 'BMMF' and the smell of sulfur filled the room.

"I am not looking," Kurt said in a loud voice, a blindfold over his eyes, "So you do not have to hex me or cause anymore abnormal growths, Hermies, I am just here to tell you dinner is ready and the Professors wish you to be there with everyone else." Kurt gulped, "That being said … Imouttaherebyebye!" And with another BMMF the blue elf was gone.

"Guess its back to business huh?" Harry asked as the two set up.

"Yeah, guess so," Hermione stretched her arms over her head and used her wand to gather her cloths to her, then pulled them all on.

The two finished dressing and making themselves presentable before leaving the Head Girl's room and making their way to the Great Hall.

---

Cho Change stood in the shadows of the Great Hall as the students and multicolored heroes began piling into the large room. She looked down at her silver finger nails and a sinister smile spread on her lips. The time was almost there. He'd hurt just as he hurt her. Soon. Very soon.

She walked out when she saw Harry and Hermione enter to sit by Ron, Jubilee, and Ginny. Harry blushed and gave small nods at the stares he was receiving. "Yes, the rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated." He said earning chuckles from everyone, even the Slytherin table. "Maybe there's hope for those chaps after all." He said turning to the head table where Professor Dumbledore was moving toward his podium.

"Good evening, Students, Teaching Staff, Friends," Dumbledore said glancing around the crowded room. "Students, I'm sure you've noticed the addition of a few … colorful characters to the school, and those who had seen the earlier battle you will have seen that they are in fact friends and allies. With their aid, I've little doubt the Shadow of the Deatheaters will at last fall and never rise again."

"Those of you, who no longer wish to stay here, find it unsafe, do not be ashamed to leave if it is your desire. None will hold it against you." Dumbledore stated, "Those who remain know that while this is a school, it is also the front line of a war that will decide the shape of history from this day forth. Around you and among you are the world's mightiest heroes, titans among mortals, your champions who with luck, Merlin and God watching over us, we shall stand victorious."

Harry gave a nod to Cyclops and Jean who were seated at the front table, before turning to Jubilee, "Yeah, it's going to be over soon, as soon as I can get a hold of Riddle." Harry said, not noticing Jubilee, Ron, and Ginny begin to pale. "I'm ready for round two with the dirty playing bloke, you better believe that."

"You selfish git …" Harry heard hiss right beside him, and barely turned toward Hermione before the palm hit his cheek with such force he was knocked out of chair onto the floor.

Dumbledore's speech halted as all eyes fell on Harry who was on the ground favoring a red cheek, and Hermione standing over him trembling in rage.

"What's wrong with you?" Hermione snapped, glaring at her boyfriend with more intensity then Harry had ever seen. "Do you have a bloody death wish?!?"

Harry stared at her and tried to come up with a well thought out response, but the best he could come up with as he pulled himself to his feet was: "What?"

"Here we go …" Ron sighed as he laid his head on the table, pushing his food away.

"You heard me, Harry, I asked what's your problem." Hermione spat as all the frustration, hurt, and anger that has built over the previous year bubbled to the surface. "Do you want to just go out and commit suicide? Bloody hell, there's more efficient and less painful ways then this, but no you have to go out and be the sacrificial hero, don't you?! DON'T YOU?"

"Hermione, I don't plan to sacrifice anything," Harry tried to reason, but Hermione's released fury would not be contained.

"Then what do you plan to do then, Mage?" She asked, spitting out his X-Men call sign. "Were you holding back when you fought Voldemort this last time? Or did you just let him blast you with the Avada Kedavra so you could become a ghost? Oh yes! That's it isn't it? Your grand plan for winning, you would become a ghost and haunt him in his sleep, make him wet himself and DROWN IN HIS OWN PISS!"

"Now you're just being silly, Hermione …" Harry said softly, still trying to calm her down, "Why don't we talk about this in our common room …"

"No we'll discuss this right here, and right now," She said stomping her foot, working her fists at her sides, "Damn it all, Harry, he KILLED you! You gave it your all, and he beat you, HE. KILLED. YOU."

"I wasn't ready, Hermione, I will be this time," Harry said, getting frustrated with her temper.

Professor McGonagall started to stand up, but Xavier held up his hand to stop her.

"Professor …" McGonagall started to complain but Dumbledore spoke up.

"Now, Minerva," Dumbledore spoke up. "This has been building for sometime, since Harry became an X-Man I believe, this must be resolved, and I could think no better time."

"But in front of the students…"

"They must learn this isn't some game," Dumbledore spoke softly. "Harsh lesson, but a lesson none the less."

"Hermione, if you'd just listen …" Harry tried to speak up, "I have to fight, Voldemort's my responsibility."

"Why? Harry, why is he your personal responsibility, because he put a scar on your head? Because you're little game you two are playing is tied with one kill a piece?" Hermione snapped, "Why?"

"I'M THE ONLY ONE WHO CAN STOP HIM," Harry snapped, his patience worn thin, "I know, I'm the one to stop him."

"Well get Ahab his spear!" Hermione threw up her arm, "He just has to take his whale!"

"The bloody hell are you talking about now?" Harry asked angrily.

"If you'd read you'd know," Hermione hissed, "But in layman's terms, YOUR OBSESSED WITH VOLDEMORT! Look around you Harry! Look! There's the Order and Dumbledore. And over there's the Avengers, The Fantastic Four, they've fought world destroyers before, Tom Riddle should be a walk in the bloody park! The Punisher's around here somewhere, he's killed twice as many people as Voldemort, and every single one of them were as psychotic as Voldemort. There are more heroes here then Voldemort can shake a wand at … EVEN CAPTAIN BLOODY AMERICA! YOU DON'T HAVE TO FIGHT ANYMORE DAMN IT!!!!"

"YOU EXPECT ME TO JUST SET BY AND LET THEM FIGHT AND DIE FOR A FIGHT I SHOULD BE FIGHTING??"

"I EXPECT YOU TO USE YOUR HEAD, AND THINK! HARRY, YOUR SEVENTEEN YEARS OLD, YOU CAN'T WIN!!!!" Hermione screamed, tears beginning to form in the corners of her eyes.

Harry stared at her for several moment as the whole Great Hall basked in silence. "You know …" Harry started, pausing to take a hard swallow, "in all the years we've known each other … you've never once told me that …"

"I can't …" Hermione said softer, beginning to tremble. "I can't do this anymore, Harry, I just can't do it … I can't just sit here … pretend everything's perfectly fine … be the Head girl … loving girlfriend to Harry Potter … and watch him march off daily in his little black costume and pretend not to care … pretend not to worry if I'll never get to see him again … I can't … I can't do that anymore …"

"Hermione …" Harry said, reaching out for her but she pulled away, "Nothing's going to happen to me."

"You said that to me once before, Harry," Hermione said looking up to stare him in the eye, "You left … and then the X-Men came back minus one member, and Storm told me you had fell in battle … that you … I can't go through that again, Harry, I … it would kill me …" She then took a deep breath, "It's … it's up to you now, Harry, so what'll it be?"

"What?" Harry asked, feeling his blood chill, not wanting to accept what she meant.

"You can't have it all, Harry," Hermione whispered staring at the floor, "I can't share you, I tried, but I don't think I can do it anymore, I can't live with you … living a double life. So … you have to choose, Harry." She said looking up at him, "Will it be me or the 'good fight'?"

"Hermione … please …" Harry shook his head, stalling for time. "They need me … and I need you … don't do this …"

"You've made your choice then." She said turning her back and walking toward the exit. "You're right, Harry, they do need you, they need their 'Boy Who Lived'." Hermione said stopping at the door to look back at Harry longingly, "For what its worth I'd have made the same choice probably … and a part … a part of m-me's proud of you for it. Goodbye Harry."

The sound of the door closing echoed through the tomb silent great hall.

"Mate?" Ron asked, as most of Gryffindor Table watched the still as a statue teenager worriedly.

The only sound was a few muffled complaints from Mary Jane as Spider-Man held her back. "Let them work it out themselves, remember what happened when people tried to interfere when we went through those snitches." The webhead's whispered into the redhead's ear, as she fought his grasp.

"Harry?" Jean asked approaching the near catatonic Harry.

"I'm … not feeling so well …" Harry whispered, moving almost robotically toward the exit. "I believe I'll retire to the dormitory … get some rest you know …"

The whole room watched him go, before Dumbledore cleared his throat and encouraged the hall to begin their meal, though few were hungry after the reality shattering event they just witnessed.

"Well … that was unexpected …" Neville spoke up trying to stir conversation.

"Says you," Ron said picking at his food, "I've seen that coming months ago." He said glancing up as Jubilee, Nightcrawler, Kitty, Draco and Luna gathered around them at their table. Ron just gave a small shaky smile, "Just hope our plan for this possible event works."

To Be Continued …