Unofficial Portkey Archive

HPX3: Harry Potter & The Flames of the Pheonix by Classic Cowboy
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

HPX3: Harry Potter & The Flames of the Pheonix

Classic Cowboy

WARNING this chapter contains character death…

CHAPTER 9: The Last Stand part 2 of 2

"This is awful …" Hermione murmured with Dumbledore's head in her lap. Her un-bandaged eye traveling across the battlefield.

"That is the price of war…" Xavier said looking across the field where Harry and Voldemort stood off. "The area seems secure, and you have more then enough Aurors around to protect you two …" Xavier narrowed his eyes. "X-Men, since the beginning we have always stood together." He said lifting himself into the air through telekinesis. "This battle will be no different. Let's go."

He looked back over his shoulder at Hermione. "I'll make sure he comes back to you. Just stay with Professor Dumbledore." he said and Hermione nodded in response.

Across the battle field Ron stood back to back with Sinistra and Captain America. "Stay steady men," Cap called out throwing his shield across the field wiping out a group of Deatheaters.

"Ron!" Ron glanced up to see Jubilee blasting a cloaked Deatheater approaching him from the left. "You owe me one, baby," Jubilee winked with her sunglasses down on her nose.

"I'll pay you back with interest later, Luv," He gave her a quick kiss on the cheek before firing a stunner at an on coming giant. "They keep coming!"

"Crap, Ron, Cap, LOOK OUT!" Jubilee called but he and Cap were backhanded by the Blob and sent flying into the air, only to hit the unforgiving concrete a few seconds later. The stars in his eyes prevented him from seeing the Dark wizard taking aim until it was too late.

"Bloody …" he whimpered before the Avada Kedavra was cast. He closed his eyes tight awaiting his doom. Death didn't come though, and he opened his eyes. What relief he had was replaced by raw horror. All Ron could see was the yellow of Jubilee's jacket as her limp body fell to the side. "No … please no … Jubilee!" He called out as he caught her.

He rolled her over into his arms to see her face. He quickly removed her sunglasses to look into her eyes. The tightness in his chest grew worse when he saw the unseeing stare and peaceful expression on his lover's face. "Jubilee, wake up, Jubilation!" He said shaking her lifeless body. "No …" He said pulling her body to him and resting his head on her shoulder. A strange eerie calmness washed over the redheaded wizard as he slowly laid the girl down on the ground, and closed her eyes for her for the last time. "I love you." He whispered before slowly lowering his face to hers in a gentle kiss.

He then rose to his feet wand in hand. "You …" he said taking a step toward the tall wizard who cast the spell.

"What's the matter runt?" the wizard asked, earning no reaction from Ron at all. "Mad you won't be getting anymore muttie nookie?"

"This ends here, Brother," Ron said as Sabretooth pulled back his hood. Magic sparked all around Ron as his anger reached unthinkable height. "I'm going to butcher you like the beast you are." Ron said as small pieces of rubble rose from the ground around him.

"Accio Creed's wand!" Ron called out and Sabretooth's wand flew from his hand into Ron's who without missing a beat snapped it in half.

"I should have killed you the second our mother popped you out …" Sabretooth snarled as he threw off his robe.

"You always sucked at magic, Creed. Any real wizard would be prepared for the simplest of disarming. A little firstie could have blocked that." Ron said emotionlessly as Sabretooth leapt at him to pounce. Ron ducked and rolled to dodge the pounce and counted with a stunner that just barely missed the mark.

"And you never could hit the broad side of a barn, baby brother!" Sabretooth laughed, slashing out at the teen, cutting through robes and flesh.

Ron gasped and gripped his injured side as blood oozed from his wound. "You want to know a secret, Creed?" Ron asked his blue eyes daring his elder brother if you'd call him that to challenge him. "Mum and dad didn't love you just because you're a mutant," He stated gripping his wand, "they didn't love you because you're a psychotic piece of trash, and look at what you've grown into? Logan gets respect because he does things for the common good on occasion, you, you're just a generic Wolverine, you're nothing but the diet, the Lite, the poor man's Wolvie…"

"SHUT UP!" Sabretooth screamed slashing wildly like an angered animal.

"Cap!" Ron called out and Captain America who had been standing back and watching the duel with interest nodded and tossed him the discus shaped shield.

"Heal from this," Ron growled gripping the edge of the sharpened edged shield and swung around with every ounce of strength in his young body. Sabretooth managed to roar as the edge of the shield cut across his neck and throat. The bloodied shield and shaggy haired head hit the ground first followed by Creed Weasley's lifeless, headless body.

"Well done, son," Captain America took the shield and patted Ron's shoulder, as he turned to where Jubilee laid.

"Sinistra?" Ron asked when he saw the leather clad clone leaning over the girl's body, her hands glowing as they hovered over her chest.

The girl's crimson eyes looked up at Ron, "I … can't save her …" she whispered sadly.

"Why are you trying to save her?" Ron asked going to his knees on the other side of Jubilee's body.

"You… I remember…" She said looking straight at him. "You've been my best friend since I was eleven years old; you and Harry."

"Sinistra …" Ron said taking Jubilee's cold hand. "Thank you …"

---

Harry groaned as he hit the ground from the impact of the curse Voldemort sent. It was obvious the Dark Lord was toying with him. "Where's the confidence now, Potter?"

Harry pulled himself to his feet and shook his head to clear it. "Are we done warming up yet?" he said with a pop to his neck.

Spell for spell, curse for curse, jinx for jinx the two battled on the battlefield.

"Can you feel it, Voldemort? The Hercruxes are all destroyed, Wolverine dealt with them himself," Harry stated dodging a spell and firing one of his own. "You're as mortal as the rest of us, nothing but an old man scared of death…"

"Once you're defeated I will be invincible," Voldemort hissed narrowing his serpent-like eyes.

"So you know of the prophecy too, do you?" Harry said, "Then you also know I possess a power that you know not, right?"

"That is a foolish misinterpretation," Voldemort laughed, "You foolish boy, how can you possibly possess or even know of a power I do not? I AM the Dark Lord Voldemort!"

"There is a power you know nothing about obviously," Harry said standing tall and proud, picking up his slightly cracked sunglasses from the ground and putting them on. "A power far greater than any magic you possess, it's called teamwork. There's an important lesson you should have learned from your alliance with Magneto… X-MEN STAND TOGETHER!"

Voldemort tried to laugh but his eyes widened when he realized he was having trouble focusing his mind. "Xavier …" Voldemort hissed making eye contact with the professor.

"Here's a Southan' style knuckle sandwich on the house, Sugah!" he heard as Rogue came out of no where and slammed him across the jaw.

Voldemort flew backwards from the impact only to have a series of glowing playing cards to cut into the back of his cloak and explode sending him flying forward. "Full house, mon ami, always wins." Gambit waved.

"This is for threatening my sweet niece, Thomas Riddle," Beast said flipping in and moon kicking the free flying Dark Lord into the air again.

"And this is for making my adopted son's life hell," Cyclops said walking up and opening his visor to near lethal setting and blasting the wizard to the ground.

"And this is for … awe shit, you know all the shit you did to me bitch," Wolverine growled brandishing his claws and slashing across Voldemort's back.

"THAT IS ENOUGH!" Voldemort screamed sending out a wave of magic that sent the X-Men to the ground and Xavier tumbling backwards out of his wheelchair.

Across the battlefield Hermione Granger furrowed her brow. "Sorry professor, but Harry needs me …" she whispered to the unconscious Dumbledore before limping toward the explosions.

Another part of the field Ron Weasley stood to his feet and looked toward where he knew Harry was fighting for his life. "Cap, Sinistra, don't let anything happen to Jubilation's body …"

"Where are you going?" Captain America asked the teen.

"I made a promise that I'd be there till the end," Ron said with a firm strong expression on his features. "It's time to keep it. Hang on mate I'm coming…"

"Scott," Cyclops heard the combination of American and British voices behind him and glanced up to see the Phoenix approaching. "It's time."

"Time for what?" Cyclops asked before he glanced up again to see Voldemort putting every ounce of rage and hate into the spell forming on the tip of his wand.

"AVADA KEDAVRA!"

Harry screamed wordlessly, firing a bolt of pure magic from the tip of his wand slamming into the massive incoming curse hitting it like the force of two trucks slamming head long. Harry and Voldemort put both hands on their wands as they began their battle of wills.

"Scott, catch me …" Jean's voice whispered as the Phoenix screamed and exploded from Jean's body flying in the shape of a firebird toward Harry.

The Phoenix slammed into Harry and he grunted from the impact. A moment later a pair of flaming wings appeared on his back, outstretched as the beam of light from his beam his wand turned to intense flames. "One shall stand …" Harry growled out, gripping the wand, "One shall fall …"

The battle continued as waves and waves of green energy and flames erupted from the union of energy. Harry gritted his teeth and struggled to keep his footing. If he was to slip, to fall, it would be over not just for him but everyone. That much energy Voldemort released would be enough to wipe out everyone in the London area.

'I can't … I can't do it …' Harry thought to himself as his knees began to buckle from the force. "I'm sorry …" he whispered out loud as his knees gave, but to his surprise he didn't fall, nor did his hands drop down or lose their grip on his wand.

"Sorry for what mate?" Ron asked as pressed one arm around Harry's waist while the other reached forward over Harry's hand on the wand.

"We're right here with you, Harry," Hermione said from the opposite side, holding Harry the same way.

"Hermione? Ron? What are you doing here?" Harry asked, staring forward at the also struggling Voldemort. "I'd rather go down alone than be responsible for you two too …"

"You talk like we're going to lose this," Ron said glaring forward at Voldemort.

"Honestly, you think he can stop us together?" Hermione smiled at her best friends before glaring back at their enemy for much of their young life.

"Together?" Harry asked his grip on the wand loosening for a moment before he gripped it again. "Let's finish this together!" He exclaimed as the three put every ounce of magical energy, every bit of their friendship and love into the wand………………………..

It's been a long road, getting from there to here.

It's been a long time, but my time is finally near.

"Are you really Harry Potter?" the eleven year old redhead asked the boy sitting beside him.

"Yes," the dark haired boy replied shyly.

"Do you have … you know?" the redhead asked.

Harry rolled his eyes and pulled back his bangs to show the lightening bolt scar.

And I can feel the change in the wind right now. Nothing's in my way.

Harry and Ron blinked in surprise when bushy haired mousy girl burst into the compartment. "Have you seen a toad?"

And they're not gonna hold me down no more, no they're not gonna hold me down.

The trio pushed with everything they had, Hermione and Ron willing their love and friendship into their lover/brother respectively. Hermione never even noticed the flicks of phoenix flames licking her skin, burning off her bandages and closing her wounds, nor the solid beam of flame going into her belly.

Ronald … Hermione … Lily's voice sounded in Ron and Hermione's heads. You are both a part of Harry, as Harry is a part of you both. Stand by one another, continue to be one another's strength during the trials you face. As one you will be unstoppable … but the two of you … please watch after my sweet Harry …

Voldemort screamed out as a burning phoenix, empowered by not only the immortal soul of Lily Evans-Potter, but the strength of Harry, Hermione, and Ron's friendship, erupted from the tip of Harry's wand as if a Patronus. It screeched in rage as it slammed through Voldemort's spell, burning through his robes and body leaving not even ashes.

Cause I've got faith of the heart.
I'm going where my heart will take me.
I've got faith to believe. I can do anything.

Smoking slightly the three friends, the family in every way but blood collapsed to the ground in a heap.

Cheering erupted as Deatheaters and Brotherhood members scattered.

"They did it," Kitty beamed as she and the others ran toward the heroes. "They turned the tide!"

I've got strength of the soul. And no one's gonna bend or break me.
I can reach any star. I've got faith

I've got faith, faith of the heart.

"Hey, Harry?" Ron grunted his head resting on Harry's shoulder. "You dead?"

"No …" Harry wheezed. "you?"

"No … Hey Hermione?"

"Yes Ronald?" Hermione groaned sleepily from Harry's other shoulder.

"You dead?"

"Idiot."

-----

"Scott! Jean! Wolvie! Professor! Over here!" Kitty and Kurt waved from their seats as the four elder X-Men approached all in well dressed attire, even surprisingly Wolverine in an unusual red and gold tie.

"Has the graduation started yet?" Scott whispered to the teenager.

"Nope, bout to though, Professor Dumbledore looks like he's about to stand up," Kitty motioned to the Headmaster.

"Where's Hank?" Jean asked scanning the crowd.

"Beast and Hermie's parents are down that way somewhere, wait there's big blue over there!" Kitty pointed, down a few rows."

"If I could have your attention please," Dumbledore said loudly at the podium. "I would like to say a few words before we get started …" He said clearing his throat. "Gumdrop, Blackbird, Wildcat, Turnip."

It's been a long night. Trying to find my way.

"This has not been an easy few years, for many of these students," Dumbledore stated, "Some more then others…" his twinkling eyes finding Harry in the Gryffindor row. "Before we hand out diplomas making these young wizards and witches fully capable of using magic in any and all uses legal. I would like to make a formal announcement." Everyone looked confused at this looking at each other and hushed questions filled the room. "I have determined it is time for me to step down and let the next generation take the head of this school. I will train this person for the job before and continue to serve as Headmaster until her training is completed. Training will begin immediately after a short break from classes. It has been an honor … an honor to instruct and protect each of you…"

Dumbledore smiled at the questioning looks. "Oh my senile mind, I didn't tell you who I had chosen … Hermione Granger my dear, would you be my apprentice and become the next Headmistress of New Hogwarts?" he asked the gapping goggle eyed Hermione.

"Well are you going to stand there and gap at him, Granger, say something!" Kitty stood up in the crowd and shouted.

"I-I … I'd be honored sir…" Hermione stammered, still staring at him.

Been through the darkness. Now I finally have my day.

"What is the will of the Board of Directors?" Dumbledore glanced around the crowd.

"Professor Charles Xavier, I make a motion to accept her apprenticeship under Professor Albus Dumbledore." Xavier spoke up.

"I second," Professor Snape spoke up from behind Dumbledore surprising many.

"Then I call a vote, all in favor say aye," Dumbledore asked and there was an astounding AYE from the gathered board of directors.

"Seems the Ayes have it," Dumbledore smiled. "Now then … as I call your name please step forward and accept your diploma …"

And I will see my dream come alive at last.

Hermione was beaming as she took her diploma and shook Dumbledore's hand. "I'll do you proud, Professor, I promise!" She said excitedly, her chocolate eyes beaming.

"You already have my dear," Dumbledore smiled.

I will touch the sky.

Draco had a confident smirk as he took his diploma, "I'd be careful with that confidence, I understand you'll be staying on to help with Mr. Potter's group." Dumbledore stated.

"I can handle him alright," Draco quirked an eyebrow, as he took Dumbledore's hand, before flexing his muscles to spread his four wings wide and proud for all to see. The Slytherin mutant whooped before taking to the air, swooping down on the unsuspecting Ginny, sweeping her off her feet. She squealed for a moment before he kissed her firmly on the lips; causing Molly and the other Weasleys gasped.

"I'll kill him …" Ron growled as Harry slapped his forehead.

And they're not gonna hold me down no more

"Harry Potter," Dumbledore called out and Harry stepped forward gripping his mentor's hand in a handshake as he took his diploma. "Well done." Dumbledore said simply.

In the stands Jean and Kitty were in tears while Scott tried to get something out of his eye with a tissue. "That a boy …" Wolverine whispered with a proud smile curling his lips.

No they're not gonna change my mind.

"Ronald Weasley" Dumbledore said loudly and majority of the girls in the crowd erupted in cheers. Ron flushed slightly as he took the diploma. "Jubilee's cheering for you now, my boy," Dumbledore smiled.

"I know, sir," Ron smiled sadly.

As soon as his fingers touched the parchment, "THAT'S MY BABY!!" Molly exclaimed.

"MOTHER!" Ron screamed out, his face as red as his hair.

Cause I've got faith of the heart.
I'm going where my heart will take me.

"Ladies and Gentleman, This years graduating class!" Dumbledore exclaimed and the hall erupted in a standing ovation.

The gathered students, now former students tossed their caps into the air. Harry just barely turned when he was tackled by one hundred and ten pounds of pure excitement. "DIDYOUHEARHARRYIMGOINGTOBEHEADMISTRESSIMGOINGTOBEHEADMISTRESS!!" Hermione squealed in one breath.

"I heard," Harry said touching her face with his finger tips, calming her instantly. Their lips touched barely a moment later.

"Excuse me; please do not attempt to suck out my niece's tongue in front of myself and her parents, Mage." Beast said as he and her parents approached.

"Sorry, Beast," Harry scratched his head nervously.

"Think nothing of it, lad," Hermione's father smiled, planting a hand on his shoulder. "Do you mind if we borrow your girlfriend for a little while? We promise to bring her back in one piece."

"See you in a few love, I'm going to find mum and dad," Harry said giving Hermione one more tight hug before wading into the crowd.

I've got faith to believe. I can do anything.

"Excuse me, Mr. Weasley, Ron Weasley?" a voice spoke up behind Ron who was being congratulated by his family. Ron turned to see a tall blond headed man accompanied by a slightly shorter dark haired gentleman with a dark goatee, both in suits.

"Hello there, my name's Tony Stark, and this is my friend Steve Rogers, we would like to offer you a job if you're interested."

I've got strength of the soul. And no one's gonna bend or break me.

"Do I know you?" Ron asked blinking at the blond.

"We met on the battlefield," Rogers replied, holding out his hand. "We haven't met formally, but you borrowed my shield while fighting a time or two." Ron's jaw dropped as realization struck.

"C-Cap …" Ron gulped.

"That's me, but we're here to talk about you," Rogers said. "You have a lot of potential young man. You have the makings of a fine Avenger if you're interested…"

I can reach any star.

Ron looked to his mother and family who nodded in support. "I guess there's only one thing to say … Avengers Assemble." He said with a beaming smile.

I've got faith, faith of the heart

"Congratulations, Harry," Jean hugged the young man she had taken as her own, now under his real mother's blessing.

"Thanks," Harry hugged back before taking Scott's hand in a firm handshake, only to be pulled in a bear hug.

"Thanks dad," Harry patted his back awkwardly. "Air becoming an issue here …" he wheezed.

"Sorry …" Scott said letting go and adjusting his glasses.

"Hey, runt, come with me for a second," Wolverine's deep voice growled out as he placed a hand on Harry's shoulder, and he noticed that the elder mutant was almost trembling.

"What's up, Logan?" Harry asked noticing the seriousness on the feral mutant's features.

I've known the wind so cold, and seen the darkest days.

"I'm no good with this shit …" Wolverine said looking up at the sunny sky projected on the Great Hall's ceiling.

"What's wrong?" Harry asked his voice dripping with concern.

"I just want you to know …" Wolverine said looking Harry in the eyes, and the teen was shocked to see tears forming. "Your real dad's …damned proud of you today, boy."

But now the winds I feel are only winds of change.

"Thanks, Dad that means a lot …" Harry said causing Wolverine to raise his eyebrows in surprise. Harry grinned. "I've known since I touched you for my powers the last time, I think we're even for you keeping it from me now," he beamed at his birth father.

"You little son of a …" Wolverine chuckled before father and son embraced for the first time.

"Awe … Kodak moment…" Wolverine and Harry broke apart and looked to see Ron, Hermione, Kitty, and Kurt smiling at the two.

"You want to say that again, Half-pint?" Wolverine asked Kitty, brandishing his claws.

"Awe, don't get mad Wolvie, we all know you're a big softy teddy bear." Kitty smiled, before gapping as Wolverine started toward her. Oh shit, let's go Kurt!" Kitty grabbed her best friend's wrist and made a break for it.

"C'mere you!" Wolverine yelled in pursuit.

Harry and Hermione laughed before noticing Ron stepping outside and looking longingly over the courtyard of New Hogwarts. "You ok, Mate?" Harry asked coming around on one side of his best friend as Hermione came around on the other, all three leaning on the railing.

"Just thinking …" Ron said with a sad smile, "I wish Jubilee was here …"

"I know, mate…" Harry said putting an arm around his friend's shoulder.

"She's with you," the group looked back to see Sinistra leaning against the doorway. "Keep her in your head and heart and she'll never leave you, honestly, you're hopeless Ron."

"Never pegged you for one who cares," Harry said with narrowed eyes.

"Who said I do? But Ron is a lot more fun when he's all goofy not depressed like you, Captain Angst," Sinistra looked at her finger nails. "Honestly I don't see what you see in scar-head, sis, well besides the muscles from surviving Wolverine's training sessions."

"She's on our side, Harry, its ok," Ron said with a smile, stopping Harry from reaching for his wand. "Thanks for all your help, Sinistra," Ron said in a tender voice.

"Yeah, well … um … its ok, wish I could have done more you know but …" Sinistra stammered flushing slightly before turning and walking away. "See you guys around!" She waved behind her.

I've been through the fire and I've been through the rain.

"It's still weird having a clone of me around …" Hermione hugged her arms.

"She's not so bad …" Ron said looking up. "So … now what? We saved the world, Harry, stopped your mortal enemy, what now?"

"Disney Land?" Harry joked, causing his friends to laugh.

"Why not?" Hermione smiled, "After that … I'll be studying under Professor Dumbledore to take over … he said he'd give me the details later. What about you guys?"

"Professor Xavier asked me to head up a Xavier Academy here on the school grounds. You know, for mutant wizards." Harry explained, with a smile.

"Should have known no one could keep you two far apart," Ron laughed, "I'm going to move to New York, I just signed up with the Avengers."

"Joining the Avengers? That's awesome!" Harry patted his best friend's back, "That's a high honor."

Hermione broke the joyous atmosphere with a small sniffle. "So this is it huh? We're going our own way in the real world? End of the road?"

But I'll Be Fine

"End of the road?" Harry asked standing up. "No, not the end. This is the beginning, it's like you guys said: together nothing can stop us." Harry said turning to face both his best friends. "Riddle couldn't tear us apart; the world outside school won't either. We're family, and that's something that even miles can't break apart."

Ron and Hermione both hugged Harry on either side as he lead them back into the Great Hall. "Now, let's go get some food from the refreshment table."

"Now you're talking my language, Potter," Ron beamed.

"That's my boys …" Hermione giggled happily.

Cause I've got faith of the heart.
I'm going where my heart will take me.

I've got faith to believe. I can do anything.
I've got strength of the soul. And no one's gonna bend or break me.
I can reach any star. I've got faith.

I've got faith of the heart.
I'm going where my heart will take me.
I've got strength of the soul. And no one's gonna bend or break me.
I can reach any star. I've got faith; I've got faith, faith of the heart.

It's been a long road…