Unofficial Portkey Archive

HPX3: Harry Potter & The Flames of the Pheonix by Classic Cowboy
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

HPX3: Harry Potter & The Flames of the Pheonix

Classic Cowboy

Chapter 6: Eye for an Eye

BE WARNED! CHARACTER DEATH! DEATH! DEATH … DEATH…death…death… dea…

A few weeks passed quickly and slowly depending on who you were at New Hogwarts. Ron Weasley walked up the stairs to where he knew he'd find his best friend. With no surprise he found Harry Potter in a T-shirt and jeans in the X-Jet hanger tweaking on his motorcycle. "You missed class, you know?" Ron said as he handed Harry the wrench he was reaching for.

"I know," Harry said, cursing as he tightened the bolt back. "Get my work?"

"Professor McGonagall wouldn't give it to me, said you should get it yourself," Ron said, squatting down beside him. "Mind telling me why you keep loosening and tightening the same bolt?"

"Just needed something to work on," Harry said, starting to loosen the bolt again, but stopped himself, "You know, keep busy."

"Hermione missed too," Ron said, noting Harry's body stiffened for a moment. "Lav and Parv said she'd been waking up ill lately. They guess it's some kind of bug, maybe nerves."

"Too bad for her," Harry said simply moving wiping the gas tank of the Thunderbolt II with a rag.

"You need to talk to her, Harry," Ron said in frustration. "This is mental, even from my standards!"

"Why should I?" Harry asked standing up, cleaning his glasses on his shirt, "Unless I missed my guess, she dumped me."

"BLOODY MERLIN! IS THIS PUNISHMENT FOR MY IMMATURE YEARS???" Ron called out, staring up at the ceiling.

"You two, Harry Potter, Hermione Granger, are easily the biggest …STUPIDHEADS I have ever seen!" Ron stated, turning his attention back to Harry.

Harry stared at him for a moment before finally commenting. "Stupid heads?"

"I have an American girlfriend, Potter, get used to it," Ron snapped, "DON'T CHANGE THE SUBJECT!"

"Harry, do you really know what went wrong with you two, what went wrong with us, the Trio?" Ron seethed, half tempted to kick the damned bike over. Ron growled when Harry stared blankly, "There's nothing wrong with you being an X-Man, bloody hell, I think it's totally wicked. But Harry, you went off on your own marry bloody way. You became the big hero and we were the helpless mates who can't do jack shit and you must sacrifice yourself to protect. Just because you have damned powers and we don't doesn't mean we're HELPLESS, Harry!"

Harry started to speak up but Ron beat him to it, "No, you talk later, I talk now. Look, Harry, you and Hermione had something I always wanted, you two clicked more then we ever did. THAT was what I always wanted out of me and Jubilee, what you and Hermione HAD. Let me ask you something Harry, after you and Mione had sex, when was the last time you just hung out together being a couple?"

"…"

"How about when you worked on homework or studied together without cuddling, kissing, making out the whole time?"

"…"

"How about the last time you two simply took a walk around the lake?"

"…"

"I'm not saying all the kissing, snogging and shagging is bad," Ron said, flapping his arms out. "Bloody hell, when I shagged her back in sixth year it was mind blowing."

"Ron, actually you didn't," Harry noted, "That was Mystique."

"That was Hermione, not Evil Whore Smurf," Ron shook his head, turning faintly green, "As long as I think that, I will not be driven completely mental." Ron shook his head, "Look Harry, you two gave up the role of Best Friends for Lovers. Go after her, and give it another try. THIS TIME don't go in there as sex starved teenagers, go in as best friends and let it flow that way. Use your blood worthless head and heart, Potter, not purely your crown jewels the whole bloody time."

"Fine, if she gives me the time of day, I'll talk to her about getting it sorted. Happy?" Harry sighed throwing down the rag and reaching for his button up shirt and robes.

"Quite," Ron grinned.

"Ok, then ready to go to DADA class?" Harry asked pulling on his robe.

"Na, gonna skip today," Ron shrugged, "Gonna meet Jubilation in her guest room and shag her senseless."

"What was all that about thinking with your head and your heart and not your crown jewels the whole time?" Harry smirked at his friend.

"Key word there, my brother," Ron said patting Harry's back. "Whole time. There's nothing wrong with thinking of pure unadulterated sex from time to time."

(Line)

Hermione Granger sat at their … her table in the library of New Hogwarts, staring at the page of a book she wasn't entirely sure what was about or what was called. She'd spent all her free moments at the table, reading, thinking, sulking.

"Might be a good idea to turn the page, dear," a voice spoke behind her, causing the bushy haired teen to jump. "Sorry," the blond headed blue eyed woman said smiling down at the girl. She was dressed in a blue jump suit with the number '4' on her chest. "Do you mind if I sit down?" she asked placing one hand on an empty seat beside Hermione and the other gripping a large book.

Hermione gave the woman a nod, and she sat down quietly for a moment. "You're Hermione Granger aren't you?"

"Yup that's her, Mrs. Richards," Mary Jane Watson said walking into the room, and pulling up a chair across from Hermione. "What's up, Mione?"

"Howdy there, Hermie-girl, care if I sat down with ya'all?" Rogue said as she bounced into the library shortly behind Mary Jane.

"If you're trying for a set up, you girls need to work on your conspicuity." Hermione said not looking up from her book.

"Whatever made you think that, Hermione?" Luna Lovegood said as she walked around from a book shelf and pulled up a chair at the head of the table.

"Let it go, Double L," Mary Jane sighed, before glancing at Hermione. "Would you at least hear us out?"

"Lets skip it, for I already know ever word you're going to say to me." Hermione said pointedly, as she slammed her book closed, "I'm a selfish cow for putting Harold James on the spot like that. Close?"

"Partly, yes, but you must not jump to conclusions that this would be the only topic we would go to the trouble of surrounding you, and evacuating the library and placing locking and silencing charms on all the doors and windows for, correct dear friend?" Luna said with the same floaty voice.

"We wanted to talk to the girl, Sugah, not scare her to death," Rogue said trying to keep from chuckling.

"Even so, she'll listen now, for she knows she has no other options," Luna replied before her eyes flashed and she took a more serious expression, "Time is short enough and I must win my beloved Ronald back from the infidel."

"Ok, whatever," Mary Jane waved the strange girl's comment off, before turning back to Hermione, "Now then …"

"I'm listening, so talk," Hermione crossed her arms and looked almost like she was pouting.

"Stop that, anyway, I know what you're going through," Mary Jane said placing her hands on the table. "I was worried about Peter being Spider-Man for some time, and I even tried what you did. Yes, I agree, Harry's gotten obsessed with fighting Voldemort and needed to be taken down a peg but good god, Hermione, don't you think that was a little overkill?"

"What do you mean you tried what I did?" Hermione asked softly, glancing up at the redhead.

"I tried to let go, I thought I couldn't be with Peter and worry about him going out to be Spider-Man, but …" Mary Jane glanced down at her hands resting in her lap. "I realized something … they're not two separate things, Hermione, Peter is Spider-Man. And Spider-Man is Peter. To take that away from him would be like taking off one of his arms … taking away a PART of him."

"You, Harry and Ronald have been the symbol of a team for the school since my first year at Hogwarts, Hermione," Luna spoke up in a surprisingly trembling voice, her large blue eyes swelling with tears, "What happened that day in the great hall … more then two hearts were broken, Hermione." Luna stood to her feet slamming her fist on the table, and looked down so her blond hair would hide her eyes. "When Ginny introduced you guys to me … on the Hogwarts Express … for the first time in my life I felt like I had friends. I know you are hurting, Hermione. Also I know Harry is hurting. Ronald too has taken a hard blow from you … Ginny, Neville, some of the new friends we have met through Harry's new school … Me … we're all being torn apart by your … your … CHILDISHNESS!"

"Luna?" Hermione whispered in shock.

"I am not saying it is all your fault, Harry holds a great deal of the blame as you," Luna whimpered between sniffles still staring at the ground. "But to let it sit and boil inside you both pretending like a relationship spawned from a friendship seven years in the making was never made is stupidity … which is a word I never expected to use in context with the other two members of the Golden Trio."

"Luna … I …" Hermione fumbled for words.

"You and Harry had something special, something that you threw away for pleasures," Luna said still not looking in Hermione's direction. "As wonderful as that was, you've forgotten what made your relationship special: the strong trust, the friendship. You once stood by Harry no matter his decision, even if it was foolish. You always stood by him. And Harry once treated you as a best friend and partner in life, but then began to view you as a lover he must protect from all harm. And you let him view you like that, and he let you lose faith in him."

"If you and Harry care about each other as much as your friends here say, you can patch this up," Sue Richards said with a faint smile. "Heaven knows it's a miracle Reed and I still together after my screw ups …"

"I … I need … I need to think about this …" Hermione forced herself to swallow, as her cheek paled as the words finally sunk in.

"Let her go, Luna," Mary Jane spoke up and, Luna pulled out her wand to deactivate the spells she used on the library. The four women watched Hermione dash out of the room.

"Do ya think it worked?" Rogue asked, watching after Hermione.

"Maybe," Mary Jane rubbed her chin. "That was some great emotion there, Double L." The Redhead patted Luna's shoulder.

"I try," Luna whimpered, rubbing her eyes.

(Line)

Hermione sat quietly on a rock on the edge of the lake near New Hogwarts castle. She jumped slightly when she felt something brush up against her back. She glanced down as Crookshanks climbing up into her lap. "Crookshanks, do you recall me saying earlier this week how much an idiot Harry was?" Hermione asked the cat who stared back at her knowingly. "Well, I don't reckon I have much room to talk …"

"So what should I do, Crookshanks?" Hermione asked as her lip trembled, "Should I go back to him, but … what if he gets hurt again, what if I lose him and don't get him back this time?" Crookshanks blinked, before curling up into her lap. "If I don't go back, I lose him anyway … but … even if he does get hurt I can at least have some time with him … right?"

"Asking advise from your cat now, Hermione," a voice spoke as Cho Change approached from the behind a few large rocks. "Not a sign of good sanity, love."

"Cho, what are you doing here?" Hermione asked with a faint blush of embarrassment, not realizing any danger. Crookshanks on the other hand, jumped between Hermione and Cho baring his small yet sharp teeth and hissing loudly.

"Have you ever read the Bible, Hermione?" Cho asked ignoring Hermione's question and the angry cat between them. "Who am I kidding, this is Hermione Granger, the living encyclopedia, of course you have, you've read every book and verse ever written by man, haven't you?"

Hermione tilted her head in confusion as Cho continued. "There's scripture in the Old Testament. It's kept me going since Cedric died … I'm sure you heard the saying that came from it … an eye for an eye?"

"I've been waiting for this moment for a long time Hermione," Cho said with a happy smile. "You've been with close proximity to your little boyfriend and his best friend, or any of the over stock of spandex wearing muscles heads populating the school. But now … it's just me and you …"

"What are you talking about?" Hermione asked, starting to grow a bit nervous as she reached for her wand at her belt.

"Harry took away what meant the world to me, Hermione," Cho said growing closer to the bushy haired teen. "Now I'm going to take away what means the world to Harry. I hope you don't take this personally, this is about Harry, not you."

Hermione reached for her wand, but gasped when Cho grabbed her hand pressing two fingers into her palm. "So you are a lefty huh?" Cho asked, looking down at Hermione's wand hand.

"Wha?" Hermione started to ask before screaming in pain as two 2 foot claws ripped through the flesh of her hand, between her bones.

Cho ripped the claws through Hermione's hand with a sickening sound, and spraying blood across the area, and onto the ginger cat.

Crookshanks hissed one more time, shaking his head before dashing toward the castle.

"Cho … what?" Hermione forced through the pain as she cradled her injured hand.

Cho smiled as her remaining fingers seemed to morph into long metallic claws. "When Harry finds your mangled body he'll be so broken … he'll finally understand what he's done to me." Cho grinned insanely at the horrified Hermione. "One more thing, Mione, Cho died with Cedric. Call me Deathstryke."

'Oh God, she's going to kill me …' Hermione thought as she backed away from the psychotic mutant. 'Harry … I'm going to die, and Harry will think I hated him …'

Hermione's thoughts were interrupted when all five claws from Cho's right hand impelled her left shoulder, and lifted her from the ground.

Can you forgive me again?

I don't know what I said

But I didn't mean to hurt you

Hermione tried to reach for her dropped wand but cried out when Cho's claws made deep gashes in her right forearm. "Oh no you don't Hermione …" Cho laughed, before back handing Hermione's chest, ripping her robes and shirt and leaving four long gashes across her chest.

"Harry …" Hermione whimpered, before gasping as Cho once again slashed at her chest and shoulders.

"He's not coming to your rescue this time, Dearest Hermione," Cho laughed as impelled her claws through both Hermione's forearms. "And it's your own fault," Cho whispered into her ear before roughly jerking her claws free.

I heard the words come out

I felt like I would die

It hurt so much to hurt you

Then you look at me

You're not shouting anymore

You're silently broken

"Despite what you think, Hermione, you really are a beautiful girl," Cho smiled down at the wounded girl. "Let's fix that." She said as she slowly dragged her razor-blade like claws across Hermione's face, making Hermione scream out in pain.

I'd give anything now

To hear those words from you

Each time I say something I regret I cry "I don't want to lose you."

But somehow I know that you will never leave me, yeah.

Hermione laid there on the ground, her own blood beginning to gather around her in a large puddle as Cho knelt over her. She never imaged it ending like this, nothing like this.

'Cause you were made for me

Somehow I'll make you see

How happy you make me

"I've waited so long for this, Hermione," Cho said as she sunk her claws into Hermione's lower belly, making Hermione grunt out a sob. "Go ahead, Dearest Hermione, cry, cry out for your precious Harry." Cho giggled, before spitting into Hermione's clawed face.

I can't live this life

Without you by my side

I need you to survive

"Any last words, Dearest Hermione?" Cho asked, as she positioned her claws over Hermione's neck. "Speak now or forever hold your peace." She said as Hermione's weak hand inched toward her wand laying beside her.

"Yes … I … have one … thing to say to you …" Hermione coughed, fighting to keep her focus on Cho.

"Oh, and what's that?" Cho asked, smiling.

"Come … closer …" Hermione whispered, and Cho did as asked. "Burn."

"What?" Cho asked in alarm as Hermione shoved her wand into Cho's chest.

Hermione took a deep breath and with the last of her strength called out: "INCENDIO!"

So stay with me

You look in my eyes and I'm screaming inside that I'm sorry!

Cho screamed in pain as her robes erupted in flames, and stumbled away before falling into the lake and disappearing into the dark waters. Hermione held her wand where it was for a moment longer before her eyes began to lose focus.

Hermione sighed loudly as her hand dropped limply into the large red puddle under her and her eyes stared unseeingly upward.

And you forgive me again

You're my one true friend

And I never meant to hurt you

(Line)

Harry sighed as he leaned against the wall. "Where are you?" Harry asked as if Hermione could hear him. He had searched every class Hermione had and every studying spot she'd go to.

"Find her mate?" Ron asked as he approached his best friend.

"She's not in the school," Harry said crossing his arms. "She could only be one other place."

"The lake," Ron and Harry said in unison.

"I was just about to …" Harry started to say but was cut off when Crookshanks slashed his leg with his claw, mewling loudly.

"Hermione's really going to have to do something about that mental cat," Ron curled his lip in disgust at the flat-faced feline. "I swear the thing's psychotic."

"What's wrong, Crookshanks?" Harry asked squatting down to pet the cat's head, and blinked in surprise when he felt something wet on the feline's head. "What have you …" Harry drifted off when he lifted his hand to see it coated in a red fluid. "Are you hurt, Crookshanks?" but the cat mewled loudly and turned and ran toward the lake, and stopped and looked back, making direct eye contact with Harry before turning and running again.

"What's wrong with that …" Ron started but drifted off when Harry took off running after the cat.

"Shut it, Ron," Harry snapped, "Crookshanks is trying to tell us something," he said, hoping above all hopes that it wasn't what he thought it was.

Ron ran after Harry but stopped frozen in his steps when he saw a form lying on the ground. "Merlin no …" He whispered softly as he watched Harry go even faster toward the fallen young woman.

Harry didn't stop as he approached Hermione's fallen body. He simply dropped to his knees and slid up to her side, his hand touching her cheek and the other going to her bloodied hand.

"Hermione!" Harry yelped, as his thumb brushed one of the open gashes across her gentle features as her lifeless eyes stared up past him. "Hermione, say something! Hermione! Hermione!" Harry screamed, "HELP! SOMEONE HELP!" He yelled as loud as he could as he glanced back to the pale stunned Ron. "RON GET HELP! NOW!" He said as he pressed his palm to the side of her blood-covered face, using his mutant power to pump all the strength he could into her frail body.

"Hermione, hang on, please," Harry whispered painfully, "Don't you dare leave me … don't you dare." He said as he picked her up, cradling her broken body in his arms. "Ron, clear the path, c'mon!" Harry yelled as the two young men dashed toward the castle.

(Line)

Madam Pomfrey had just finished straightening the empty beds in the medical wing of New Hogwarts castle. She had to admit Professor Xavier offering her the best of Muggle medical technology while Professor Dumbledore offered the best in healing potions and elixirs, she was in nurse heaven.

Her thoughts were entrusted when a blast of flame forced the door to the infirmary opened and Jean Grey and Ron Weasley dashed into the room with an entourage of students and heroes, all with horrified and some sick looks to their faces.

"What's the matter?" Pomfery asked, before Harry quickly walked in, cradling Hermione in his arms, both covered in blood. "Ms. Granger? Mr. Potter?" She asked, standing there in stunned awe. The Heroic X-Man she had come to acknowledge as Harry Potter was gone, and she was once again looking at the frightened, timid boy that had exited the Hogwarts Express seven years ago.

"Help her …" Harry whispered, looking up at the nurse with tearful horrified eyes.

"Get her on the bed … NOW!" Pomfrey said, loudly, snapping back to reality, and Harry quickly did as told. Pomfrey quickly went to work, placing her ear to Hermione's mouth and looked down at her chest. "Bloody shit, she's not breathing," She cursed, as Dumbledore and Xavier pushed through the crowd. "Have to do this the Muggle way," Pompy said as she used her thumb and forefinger to clam Hermione's nose and breathed into Hermione's mouth.

She placed her fists over Hermione's heart and began pushing down into her chest, attempting to get her still heart to beat again. "What the hell is this? A Sunday matinee? GET OUT!" She screamed at the crowd, "You too, Potter, you don't need to see this."

"I'm not leaving her!" Harry shook his head, tears flowing from his emerald eyes. "I can't … I can't lose her!"

"If I have a say in it, you won't. Now get out and let me do my job!" Pomfrey said before giving Hermione another breath.

"Come on, Harry," Ron said placing a hand on Harry's shoulder, as he and Dumbledore literally pulled Harry from the room.

(Line)

Seven hours passed slowly as Harry sat outside the door of the Infirmary. On either side of him was his adopted parents Jean and Scott, and beside them sat Ron, who was just as beside himself as Harry. Beside him Ginny clung to her brother desperately as she sobbed quietly. On the other side of Scott sat Luna who looked visibly ill as she clung to Professor Dumbledore's hand as if it was a lifeline. On one end of the hallway stood Ben "The Thing" Grimm and Draco, and on the other stood Beast and Neville, both acting as 'security guards' to keep those waiting from being disturbed.

"How are they?" Mary Jane as she came back from reporting to those awaiting in New Gryffindor Tower.

"Mr. Potter hasn't spoken a word, simple stared at the door awaiting it to be opened," Dumbledore spoke to the American redhead. "Ms. Granger, we have heard nothing of. I hope it is as the saying goes … no news is good news."

"Hermione said it herself, there are enough heroes here to sink a battleship," Harry finally spoke up in a growl as he clinched his fists. "How could this have happened … how could I have let this happen?" Harry asked angrily as fresh tears formed in his eyes.

"You can't save everyone, Harry," Ron said emotionlessly as he continued to stare at the floor. "I reckoned you had that figured out by now …"

"That's twice … TWICE I've failed her …" Harry's voice cracked, "And I passed up every chance I had to tell her how much I …" Harry drifted off when the door opened and Madam Pomfrey slowly walked out, her face looked more aged and tired then it did when they arrived. "Hermione?" Harry asked standing up.

"Mr. Potter, please, sit back down," Madam Pomfrey spoke softly and sadly, which increased Harry's terror ten fold, let alone the fright in the others present.

Madam Pomfrey waited for Harry to do as told, and gave a weak smile when she saw Jean and Scott gripping his hands comfortingly as he breathed rapidly awaiting her news. "I fear I have some good news … as well as some bad."

"Good news first, please, Madam," Jean spoke for her adopted son.

"It was touch and go for a while …" Madam Pomfrey sighed, before giving a weak smile. "But unless her condition changes in the next forty eight hours, she'll be back on her feet in a month and a complete recovery within the year."

"A-And the bad?" Harry whimpered, still feeling his pure fear.

"Who or whatever did this to her … appears to have stabbed her right through her uterus," Pomfrey spoke softer then Harry had ever heard the nurse. "This … caused her to miscarry her child and … I fear she may not be able to bare a child again."

"What?" Harry paled as white as a ghost.

"I doubt even Ms. Granger was aware of her pregnancy, Mr. Potter," Madam Pomfrey said touching Harry's arm comfortingly. "Ms. Granger was … three weeks pregnant … the child … she was your child as well."

To Be Continued …

Song: "Forgive Me" by Evanescance