Unofficial Portkey Archive

HPX3: Harry Potter & The Flames of the Pheonix by Classic Cowboy
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

HPX3: Harry Potter & The Flames of the Pheonix

Classic Cowboy

Chapter 3: The Battle of New Hogwarts Part 1 Birth of the Phoenix Alliance

Someone told me
Love would all save us
But, how can that be
Look what love gave us

A world full of killing
And blood spilling
That world never came

And they say
That a hero could save us
I'm not gonna stand here and wait
I'll hold onto the wings of the eagles
Watch as we all fly away

- 'Hero' Chad Kroeger

---

Off the coast of Scotland a mass of dark figures apparated on the shore. From cloaked Deatheaters to Sentinels to Giants, to Magneto and Voldemort's generals, the force was massive. The full force of Deatheaters, 1500 members, Magneto's forces, which were well over 1000 recruited Mutants, 100 Sentinels, and a small army of 200 Giants.

A large metal platform floated before the army on it stood Voldemort and Magneto. "No wall of New Hogwarts can remain standing," Voldemort commanded, "And all will die with the exception of Potter's Mudblood. I plan some good fun with her."

The massive army then began moving toward the tall castle several miles along the shore. "ON TO NEW HOGWARTS!!" Magneto called and the platform slowly led the army toward the rebuilt castle.

---

Jubilation Lee walked quietly into the Gryffindor common room and spotted her boyfriend seated beside the fireplace, staring at his board of wizard's chess. "You ok, babe?" Jubilee asked sitting down beside him.

"This is chess night," Ron stated, not glancing at her, "Me and Harry, since our first year, no matter how much homework, or what was due tomorrow, we'd sit here till early in the morning and just play chess." Ron then let out a sigh, "Only time we missed was during our … misunderstanding in fourth year, and then last year when we found out he was … ya know."

"I could play?" Jubilee asked giving him a sad smile.

"Na, I'm thinking about giving it up," Ron said flicking over his side's king. "Quidditch too. Just … doesn't seem to have the same kick as it used to, you know."

Jubilee put her arm around his shoulders, "Hey, you don't have to be strong all the time you know?"

"Yes I do," Ron stated, choking down a sob, "Harry's … gone, Hermione's all pieces, and … I'm all that's left. I promised I'd hold everything together if something happened to him, but … I never thought anything ever would."

A pop flashed in Ron's face making him jump back, "Wha?"

"You're not all that's left," Jubilee said making him look at her, "Everyone in this tower I guarantee feels the same you do right now, same as the X-Men. Now lets play," Jubilee said with a smile, as she hopped over to sit across from her boyfriend.

"Fine if you don't mind losing."

"Wanna put your money where your mouth is?"

---

Ginny Weasley sighed as she walked into the women's lavatory but gasped when she was suddenly slammed against the wall.

"I think a nice girl talk is quite overdue," Hermione's voice hissed, as she pulled back Harry's invisible cloak to show her enraged face, "Don't you agree?"

"Hermione, I had no …"

"Don't you dare say you had no choice, you always have a choice," Hermione half screamed shoving her harder into the wall.

"Hermione, please …" Ginny squeaked, but Hermione showed no signs of mercy.

"What's it like, Gin?" Hermione growled, "Having blood on your hands?"

"I …"

"Don't try to excuse yourself, I know what you did, Weasley," Hermione narrowed her cold brown eyes, "You sold Harry and his friends out once, and just so happens not long after they walk right into a Ministry trap. Quite the coincidence, hmm?"

"I had nothing to do with that," Ginny said, tears rimming her eyes, "I swear."

"You're dating a Malfoy, are you not?" Hermione snorted, "Lies are rampant with anyone associated with them."

"Draco's not like that anymore," Ginny whimpered, "You know that …"

"Once a racist filthy worm, always a racist filthy worm," Hermione snarled getting in the younger girl's face.

Ginny sniffed and could smell Firewhiskey on Hermione's breathe, "Hermione, have you been drinking?"

"THAT'S NONE OF YOUR CONCERN!!!" Hermione screamed pushing her harder into the wall again.

"Hermione, that's enough!" Kitty's voice sounded from the entrance, and Hermione spun around to glare at the American.

Hermione pounced at the girl but passed right through her. "Ginny, go get Professor Xavier or McGonagall," Kitty instructed, letting Hermione jump through her again.

Ginny nodded and ran out. "DON'T YOU DARE LEAVE!" Hermione screamed, but Kitty grabbed her arms. "LET ME GO!!"

"Hermione!" Kitty said turning her where she could see the large mirror attached to the wall, "Look at yourself, do you like what you see? Do you think Harry would like what he would see?"

Hermione stared at herself before breaking down into sobs. Kitty turned her around and held her tightly, "Let it out, you need to let it all out. I know, Hermione, I know you don't like to hear it, but I know what you're feeling, I loved him too, not as much as you did but I loved him none-the-less. Let it out, and save your anger for the one really responsible. We'll get Voldemort, I promise."

"Ms. Granger, Hermione," Professor McGonagall spoke softly as she approached the girls. She placed a gentle hand on Hermione's shoulder before continuing, "Do you understand now, why Prof. Dumbledore gave your Head Girl responsibilities to Ms. Brown? You need time to grieve, Hermione, we mean no disrespect to you in any means. And should you need to speak to anyone, I am here for my favorite student."

McGonagall then gave her some sobering potion, which helped bring what was left of the sparkle back to Hermione's eyes. "Come along now," McGonagall said with a gentle smile, "Professor Dumbledore and Professor Xavier wish to speak with you."

"Am I … in trouble for what happened?" Hermione asked worriedly.

"What happened?" Ginny asked with a wink, standing behind Prof. McGonagall, "I don't know whatever your talking about, Hermione." They all walked out missing the look of sadness and guilt crossing Ginny's features.

---

Prof. McGonagall led Hermione up to Professor Dumbledore's office in silence. McGonagall finally spoke when they stopped before the large doorway, "Potter's Legacy."

The door slowly opened and McGonagall led the girl into the office.

"Hello, Hermione," Dumbledore nodded to the girl.

Hermione gave a small nod, her opinion on the aged Professor still standing from earlier.

"I know you are upset, but you have to understand, we need all the help we can get," Dumbledore said, speaking of the recruitment of students. "Voldemort is coming, I know not how soon, but he will strike. And should we not get any more help, New Hogwarts will fall, and all inside her walls will die or worse."

"Tell me, Ms. Granger," Dumbledore said leaning over his desk, "Would you rather stay inside and await your torture and or death, or would you prefer to face it head on?" He then smirked slightly. "Should Harry be here, which would he chose?"

"How dare you …" Hermione hissed.

"Oh my …" Dumbledore gasped, losing the color in his cheeks.

"I'll ask one last time, Ms. Granger, will you fight?" Dumbledore asked, standing up.

"I'm tired of fighting," Hermione sighed glancing away.

"Seems that more then one hero has left us at Voldemort's hands …" Dumbledore sighed sadly, "Return to your dorm room now please."

"What? But I have classes," Hermione blinked in surprise.

"I am afraid classes have been canceled," Dumbledore said moving toward the door, "I have received word from Professor Xavier. He has come."

Professor McGonagall quickly led Hermione to the Head Girl dorm room. "All will work out for the best, Hermione," She said making a quick wave of her hand toward her closet, "Do what you know you feel you must. That is all you're expected to do."

Hermione watched her leave, before a faint bit of curiosity grabbed her senses. She turned and walked to the closet and opened the door. Everything was as it should be … except Harry's spare X-Men uniform.

---

"She didn't come huh?" Neville asked as he stood beside Ron, Jubilee, Kurt, Kitty, and Ginny. The gathered force of the members of the Order of the Phoenix, X-Men, and battle-ready Students stood out before the castle. Win or lose, all were ready to give their all.

"Can't hardly blame her, really," Ron said drawing his wand. "I hardly want to be here either."

"These new robes, Ron?" Jubilee asked glancing over her boy friend.

"They're Harry's," Ron stated and the group fell into silence.

"Heads up, mates," Draco in his Darkangel costume called flying overhead.

Ron glanced up and saw a big black shadow start to cover the hillside. "Oh Merlin, where did he get so many chaps?"

"It doesn't matter," a prim, knowing voice spoke matter-of-factly behind them, "We'll take them all down just the same."

Ron spun on his heel to see Hermione standing glaring ahead at the army. Her long bushy hair blew behind her and her figure could be seen under the magically fitted X-Men uniform. "They took him from us, Ron, remember that."

Ron smiled as Hermione gave him a quick hug and stood by his side. "I knew you'd come," He smiled, "And also," he continued glancing up at the sky, "Forgive me mate, but she looks a hell of a lot better in that then you ever did."

"We can't win against these odds," Luna stated with an uncharacteristic seriousness in her voice, walking over to the group of Gryffindors made up of Ron, Hermione, Neville, and Ginny.

"Maybe," Hermione said, scowling at the coming army, "But we can give them a run for their money before they get us."

---

Harry Potter took a deep breath as he gazed at the front door of Grimmauld Place, his late Godfather's former home. He glanced up to watch the flaming Phoenix soar into the distance. 'All she said was New Hogwarts and my friends were in danger,' Harry thought as he pulled the key from his dirty and torn X-Men uniform jacket, and opened the door to the obviously now abandoned mansion. "She said she had some matters to attend to and I'd find a ride to Hogwarts here. I can guess what it is, if he's still here that is."

Harry caught a glimpse of himself in a full mirror on the wall, "My word," Harry gasped, "Might as well get cleaned up a bit before I make my return." He said, pulling his uniform jacket off. "Just because I came back from the bloody dead doesn't mean I have to look like a reject from Night of the Living Dead … Lets see I remember the cleaning charm, what was that patching charm again … where's Mione when you need her …"

---

Who fired the first shot may never be known, but the battle for New Hogwarts has exploded violently. Wizards, Witches, Mutants, Giants, Heroes and Villains clashed in a gigantic war just beyond the outer gates of the newly constructed towers.

Hermione Granger was among the fiercest of warriors in this battle. These intruders were following the one who took away what meant the most to her, and where Harry Potter fell, she would rise with vengeance.

Her long bushy hair waved behind her as she ran and rolled to dodge a few Deatheaters' spells before spotting the Mutant known as Blob, with a powerful yet unspoken spell, she blasted the massive two-ton mutant on top of a group of Deatheaters.

"Hello Ms. Granger, I was hoping we'd cross paths in this battle," a voice hissed from behind her, and she spun around to come face to face with Voldemort himself. "You and your boyfriend and best friend have caused me quite a bit of grief in the last few years, my dear Mudblood. I wonder … can I make you beg for mercy as Potter did before I took his life?"

---

A sentinel turned its head after blasting at a Kingsley, only to have its head quickly removed from a powerful punch from Rogue.

Rogue gave a small wave to the Order of the Phoenix member, before she cried out in pain and fell to the ground. She expected to hit the ground but instead was slowly lowered and gently helped to her feet. "Are you alright?" a low voice asked beside her.

She glanced to see who was helping her stand and was surprised to see the New Hogwarts professor Severus Snape staring at her with mildly worried eyes. "Ah … Ah'm all right, Professah," Rogue said with a faint blush, "Thanks bunches for the helpin' hand."

"You should learn to watch that well defined posterior a bit better, my dear," Snape said removing his hands from her, "Now you can remain here as a sitting duck as it were but I believe I will continue on in this battle."

Snape gasped when Rogue grabbed him and pulled him into the air, barely missing a rampaging Fluffy attacking Deatheaters and Brotherhood members.

"Now we're even, Sugah," Rogue smirked, as she lowered the potion master back to the ground.

---

Ron Weasley gasped as a Crucio curse shot over his shoulder, and quickly disarmed stupefied the offending Deatheater.

He jumped back again as several more curses shot his way, and felt quit ill when he realized some of the beams were green in color.

"This isn't good," Ron heard Dumbledore say as he stood beside Professor Xavier. Dumbledore launching his own spells while Xavier was holding his temples apparently attacking the enemies' minds.

"There are far too many, Albus," Xavier said in a tired voice, "We have to retreat …"

"Retreat where?" Dumbledore asked.

Ron narrowed his eyes, as he gazed at the gathered Deatheaters and Giants approaching him. "Well mate, seems we're going to be seeing each other sooner then later," Ron said an almost insane smile growing on his face, "But I can drop a few of these arses off at hell on my way!"

Ron then took a dash at the group, but cried out when a Crucio curse brought him to his knees. The pain slowly eased and he could hear them laughing in the distance. "I'll finish this one," one of the Deatheaters said a good twenty feet away. "Avada …"

Ron closed his eyes tight, "get the chessboard ready, Mate, play you when I get up there …"

Ron then heard the Deatheater cast the end of the spell, and could hear the energy hiss through the air, but at the last minute heard what sounded like a bullet hitting steel followed by a loud thud across the way.

Ron slowly opened his eyes to see he was alive but the Deatheater was lying on the ground dead. And between them stood a tall man in a red white and blue tight uniform. Mostly blue with red and white strips crossing his midsection and a large white star on the center of his back and his front. On his arm was a large circular shield, striped red white and blue with a white star in the center. The man's head was covered with a blue half mask with small wings on the sides of the head.

The man turned to look at Ron and Ron could see a large white A in the center of his forehead. His deep blue eyes gave a sense of power he had only seen twice before: in Albus Dumbledore and Harry Potter's eyes. "Need a hand, son?" the man said, reaching down with a red gloved hand.

"W-Who are you?" Ron asked, nervous from the man's intimidating presence.

"America and her allies are here to help," the man smiled kindly, before turning to the field where while Ron was gazing at the Star-spangled Avenger, the odds had changed.

"IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!!!!" A large rock-like humanoid thing called out as he literally plowed into a Sentinel and picked it up by its leg and slammed it into the ground. "What ya waitin' for match-sticks, join the fun!" He called up into the air.

Ron glanced up and was shocked to see three aircrafts approaching. The smallest was around the size of a car. A hatch opened and a man in a blue bodysuit leapt out. With a call of "Flame On!" his body suddenly combusted in flames and he flew into the crowd of Deatheaters.

The SHIELD Helicarrier appeared after that and flew low enough that a small army of heavily armed agents were lowered with ropes into the battle.

A third aircraft -smaller then the Helicarrier but larger then the first air vehicle- landed just outside the battlefield and the hatch opened and a large group of multicolored heroes. One in a purple suit with a bow and arrow, one Ron recognized as Scarlet Witch, another teenaged girl in a yellow suit, a man in a yellow and red suit of high tech Muggle armor. And another in a strange blue suit, helmet and with a large hammer among others ran into the melee.

Captain America raised his shielded arm high and called out in a loud voice that grabbed almost everyone's attention.

"AVENGERS ASSEMBLE!!!!"

To Be Continued …

Next Chapter: Hermione Granger vs. Voldemort, Ron Weasley vs. Magneto, the gathered 'Phoenix Alliance' vs. Voldemort's forces, and finally two heroes' return and two pair of star-crossed reunited.