Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Crucible by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Crucible

jardyn39

The Crucible by Jardyn39

Part Two of "The Apprentice Piece"

Introduction

This the second of five self-contained but linked stories set during Harry's Sixth Year. References are made to new characters and events that are occur in previous stories. Few, if any, recaps are included but a summary of the previous parts is given in the Prologue.

The five consecutive parts of "The Apprentice Piece" are entitled: The Apprentice Piece, The Crucible, The Dragon, The Sword of Light and The Accord. A Summary for the remaining parts is given at the end of the last chapter.

Prologue

Part One: The Apprentice Piece

Harry is in possession of a wand which he calls his Apprentice Piece which he made during the holidays. Mystery surrounds the wand and where the wood for it came from.

Harry is asked to set up Quidditch practice for non-team players. He readily agrees and the Rebels are formed with non-house teams. Ron does not approve. Harry is made captain of the Quidditch team, much to Ron's obvious disappointment. Harry appoints Ginny their new play maker. Ron plays terribly until their first game, which they win convincingly.

The new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher and ex-Auror, Harbinger, has been giving Harry additional training in an Auror Tent. Harbinger is in possession of letters from Harry's mother and has promised them to Harry, believing they contain hidden messages for Harry. Harbinger's tragic past is revealed.

In the few short weeks since the start of term, Ron has lost his Prefect badge and been thrown off the Quidditch team. To the surprise of many, Harry has forgiven Ron and expects him to work to regain his prefect badge.

Harry was introduced to an Unspeakable named Fides who, known only to her mother and father, helped Harry save Hermione's life. Fides allowed Harry to face a challenge to obtain an elixir to cure Hermione. Only Fides, Dumbledore and Hermione's parents know of Harry's involvement. Fides later admits to a deception but Harry has seen and used part of his potential as well as a much darker side of himself.

Harry learned that Dumbledore argued with the Unspeakables when he was an infant but that someone else won the day allowing him to grow up at all.

Hermione is asked to improve the tent's simulated attacks. She does this with extraordinary effectiveness. Harry is livid. Unknowingly, Hermione broke Moody's rules concerning the tent which caused him to believe it was real. Hermione believed Harry had feelings for Ginny and placed an image of her in the simulation. The tent needed to be repaired after Harry had finished.

The Regiment has set up a refugee camp within the Hogwarts grounds. Dumbledore insists that the traditional challenge between the Regiment and Hogwarts must proceed and will be lead by Peeves. The night of the challenge, which is a glorified food fight, is Halloween. The same evening a dance is arranged for the senior years. Hermione finally tells Harry that Halloween is not a traditional wizarding celebration.

Harry manages to dance with Hermione and later admits that he wanted to take her to the dance all along.

Part Two: This story begins just after Halloween during Harry's Sixth Year.

Chapter 1: The Auror Tent's Last Stand

Harry Potter was unaccountably nervous standing outside the Headmaster's office. He had been summoned out of one of Snape's Potions classes, loosing Gryffindor twenty points for "disrupting the lesson."

He had lost quite a few points this week. Harry just couldn't concentrate at all. His mind kept wandering back to the evening of the Halloween dance and Hermione, which had left him in somewhat of a quandary.

He was happier than he'd been for ages. His problem was knowing what was now acceptable behaviour. Thankfully, Hermione was more or less laying down the rules as required. Handholding in public was out as were any overt displays of affection. Harry was sure there were fixed guidelines, but he hadn't quite worked them out yet. He'd been pleased to receive a quick peck on the cheek as they'd parted one morning, but when he'd tried to do the same that afternoon, Hermione wasn't at all receptive. He was rather glad she was being tolerant of him, for now at least.

Harry knocked and the door swung open. The Headmaster was sitting at his desk writing.

"Come in, Harry," said Dumbledore, not looking up.

"You wanted to see me, Sir?"

"Indeed. Harry, what are your plans for the Christmas holidays?" asked the Headmaster smiling. He looked up when he had finished the line of text he was writing.

"I don't have any plans," admitted Harry, recovering quickly. "I assumed it would be best if I stayed here at school." He hadn't expected Dumbledore to ask him that. Harry knew both Hermione and Ron were spending Christmas with their families, as were most students this year. He'd tried not to dwell on his expectation to be alone for the holidays.

"I have received a request from Mr and Mrs Granger that you be allowed to visit them for Christmas."

Harry's heart leaped for a moment before he thought what implications that might hold.

"I don't want to put them in any danger, nor whoever you plan to escort me."

Dumbledore smiled and nodded.

"It's true, there would be a risk." he said and sighed. "Unfortunately it was more of a demand than an invitation. I'm not sure I dare refuse."

Harry smiled.

"How about if the Grangers come somewhere safe instead?" Harry asked.

"I was hoping you'd consider Grimmauld Place, Harry. How do you feel about returning there for Christmas?"

"The Order's still using it?"

"Yes, the new owner hasn't thrown us out yet."

"Well, I'd very much like to spend Christmas there then."

"Good, that's settled. I'll send an invitation to the Grangers, but it might be better if you didn't discuss the matter with your friends. I would rather they assumed you were spending your holidays here as planned. Now, Professor Harbinger tells me you have reached the penultimate level in the Auror training tent."

"Er, I suppose so. Actually, thanks to Hermione's improvements I barely managed to get out in one piece last time. I rather assumed you wouldn't let me attempt the last level."

"Unfortunately the refugee camp will start to become operational from Sunday and the tent is far too dangerous to leave up. In fact, I'd be far happier if it were destroyed," said Dumbledore. "Hagrid is very concerned about the number of students trying to get closer to it."

Harry nodded and said, "It's a shame, really. I wouldn't have become anywhere near as good at duelling without it. It's also the only place I can really let rip without fear of hurting anyone."

"You may practice for the remainder of the week but you are not to attempt the final level before Saturday. On Saturday you will walk into the tent and challenge it properly with no restrictions. Alastor will be here then. The Tent will be destroyed afterwards. Well, that's all Harry."

"Yes, Sir," Harry said and turned to leave.

"Oh, and Harry?" asked Dumbledore, "I may have inadvertently implied to Miss Granger that I would not allow you to attempt the final level. The tent is free to use the Unforgivable Curses and a number of other rather nasty tactics that I didn't want her to amend. It would be best if she didn't know our intentions for the present, but you can tell her the tent will be destroyed on Saturday."

*

On Saturday morning Harry crossed the wet grass and hurried to catch up with Professor Harbinger. He'd shivered with cold as he walked confidently out of the warm castle into the bright, cold air outside. Harry was surprised he wasn't more nervous, but he'd resolved to do this.

Of course, Harry was nervous. He was nervous about Hermione's reaction when she found out what he was about to do, far more than anything he might encounter in the tent.

"Morning, Sir," Harry said brightly.

"Morning, Harry," Harbinger said seriously, staring at the tent ahead of them. "Let's just burn this dam thing now, shall we?"

"I have to learn how to fight dark magic," Harry said quietly, seeing Hermione approach them from the steps.

"Professor Moody is inside now," she said tentatively, "he wanted to have a last go."

"Good idea," said Harbinger smiling, "I'll join him. Hermione, take Harry up to the viewing platform, will you?"

Hermione nodded and they parted.

"Dumbledore is upstairs," Hermione whispered to Harry, "He and Moody have been acting weird all morning. It's like they are nervous of something, like the tent might do something bad."

Harry didn't answer and hesitated before climbing up the stairs to the control room and viewing platform.

When they got to the top Hermione led Harry through an opening where McGonagall, Flitwick, Snape and the Headmaster were talking quietly. Seeing Harry they parted slightly and Harry saw Remus Lupin looking out from what looked like a balcony.

Harry walked over to beside Lupin, suddenly feeling rather nervous. Harry looked down to see Moody limp towards the lobby presumably having just finished his final practice.

"Alright, Harry?" asked Lupin with a smile.

Harry smiled nervously and nodded.

"Miss Granger," piped Professor Flitwick, "Professor Harbinger wanted to attempt your highest modified level. Would you show us how you set up the control room?"

"Er, of course Professor," Hermione said hesitantly, "this way."

Harry heard them leave the viewing area but became aware that Professor Dumbledore had stood beside him. He looked down and Harbinger entered the arena.

Hermione's amplified voice echoed around the arena, "We're ready here, Professor. Please indicate you are ready to start by standing on the red square next to the entrance lobby."

Harbinger turned and walked back to the square. As soon as both of his feet were on the square the light in the arena dropped and a loud roar followed by a louder scream could be heard. Suddenly the arena was lit up with flashes from stunning spells coming from all directions.

Harry ducked as a deflected stunner headed straight for him, but vanished before it reached the balcony.

After a while Harry began to make out what was happening. Harbinger was incredibly fast, dispatching cloaked figures as quickly as they appeared.

After about ten minutes, the noise stopped and the lights came back up. Harbinger was kneeling in the middle of the arena. His leg was bleeding from a wound and he was holding his left arm painfully. In front of him lay the practice wand, which he'd dropped to end the simulation. He stood with difficulty and started for the exit.

"Harry, go down and help Professor Harbinger will you," said Dumbledore, giving him a meaningful look. Harry drew out his wand and handed it to the Headmaster. He would be using the Apprentice Piece today.

At that moment Hermione ran up to the balcony edge looking fraught. "Is he okay?"

Harry heard Lupin start to reassure her as he left, saying, "Hermione, he'll be fine. That was some challenge you created."

*

Harry stepped into the lobby just as Harbinger, leaning heavily on Moody, was preparing to leave.

"You know, I actually rather enjoyed that," Harbinger said and the two ex-Aurors exchanged a grin. "I can't believe both of you completed that level without getting a scratch!"

"Potter," Moody growled, "I need a minute or two to get this lump upstairs before you start. You also need to compose yourself. Remember, the tent will want to kill you in the most painful and humiliating way it can."

Harry nodded and watched the two of them hobble over to the steps. He turned and faced the entrance to the arena, his wand in hand.

"Okay, Potter, we've made it," said Moody's voice from nowhere. "You can start whenever you're ready. No hurry."

Just before Moody's voice was cut off, Harry could hear Hermione's voice in the background saying, "What did that mean? Harry completed my last level-"

Harry breathed deeply, putting Hermione as far out of his mind as he could. He needed aggression now, not compassion.

He walked into the tent. It was dark and unnaturally cold. Out of the gloom, Harry could just make out a solitary figure standing in the middle of the arena.

As Harry approached, the cloaked figure turned to face him. Piercing red eyes looked straight at him.

"Welcome, boy," said the figure, "I've been watching your progress. I'm surprised they allowed you to face me."

"Don't you mean us?"

The figure bowed slightly and said, "Yes, you are facing us. You should be more afraid, you know. Only the darkest wizards known were worthy of us."

"I can't feel afraid of something without a name."

"Are they are going to try and destroy us?"

"Yes."

"But we haven't even killed anyone this time."

"Well," said Harry smiling, "better make the most of your last chance then."

"AVADA KEDAVERA!" shouted the figure and Harry dived out of the way of the green flash just in time.

Harry jumped up. The figure was gone but three more indistinct shapes were stalking him out of the gloom. Harry quickly despatched them with stunning spells before looking up in time to stun an acromantula dropping from high above.

More attacks followed until the entire arena was lit by an array of stunning and reductor curses from all around him. Harry span, firing spell after spell. Eventually, they each fell and disappeared.

Suddenly the original figure appeared and shouted "CRUCIO!" from behind him. Harry collapsed in agony but held onto his wand. Through the pain he turned and shouted, "Protego!"

The crucio curse was lifted momentarily before Harry was hit with a reductor curse. Feeling his left arm and chest burn, Harry got quickly to his feet and turned to face the chuckling figure.

The figures' red eyes grew wide when he saw Harry's expression. He stopping laughing immediately.

"What, tired of playing already?" the figure taunted but vanished before Harry's reductor spell hit him. Instead the curse blasted the tent wall and a gaping hole burned clean through the side. Light flooded into the arena, but the darkness seemed to push it back.

The figure reappeared behind Harry who turned in time to see a black serpent emerge from the figure's wand and fly towards him. At the same time he shouted "AVADA KEDAVERA!" once again.

Harry dived, dodged the green flash and blasted the snake away just in time. He made a slashing movement with his wand and a thin red flame erupted from the wand tip and flew towards the figure who vanished just in time. The flame proceeded at a pace to the tent sides and opened a wide gash that also caught fire.

"NO!" screamed the figure as more light flooded in.

Harry held his wand up, wanting to finish this. He had learned what he needed to know.

The figure appeared close to Harry and yelled "Crucio!" Harry barely felt anything this time. The tent was too weak to resist any further. It was over.

Harry ignited the entire arena in a golden flame. Everything, including the figure, burned. The entire tent was filled with a hundred screams of agony before finally going silent.

As Harry exited out of the lobby, the entire tent collapsed in flames.