Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Crucible by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Crucible

jardyn39

The Crucible

by Jardyn39

Part Two of "The Apprentice Piece"

Chapter 4: Gryffindor Tower

Perenelle stood in the middle of the Gryffindor common room with a mesmerised look on her face. From the conversation she'd just had with the Fat Lady, Harry realised it had been many years since she had visited.

"It's hardly changed at all," she said dreamily. "I want to see the dormitories!" she exclaimed to Hermione.

"Okay," Hermione said smiling, "We'll be back shortly, Harry."

Harry nodded and sat down to wait as Hermione hurried up the stairs to hold the door open for her.

"There is a way for boys to get up there you know," said Perenelle mischievously. "All you have to do is-"

"This way, Perenelle," Hermione said interrupting her with an annoyed look.

Harry laughed as Perenelle shrugged and went up the stairs.

*

A few minutes later the portrait hole opened. Harry looked up from the discarded paper he was reading to see Professor McGonagall climb through.

"Perenelle wanted to see the girl's dormitories," he replied, "They've only been gone a while."

Professor McGonagall frowned slightly and then followed upstairs.

*

About five minutes later the door leading to the girl's dormitories opened and Perenelle came through and came back down to the common room.

She smiled at Harry and said, "Would you take me to Albus' office, Harry. I've seen enough for today."

"Sure," said Harry getting to his feet. "Where are Hermione and Professor McGonagall?"

"They will be along in a moment."

Harry was a little concerned but realised that as he couldn't go upstairs to find them he might as well show Perenelle up to the Headmasters office.

*

After Harry's third attempt, he guessed the correct password to the Headmaster's office and shortly after he knocked on the door leading in.

The door opened on its own and Harry followed Perenelle into the office to find Dumbledore sitting behind his desk with his fingers folded and looking angrily at Perenelle.

"Don't look at me like that, Albus," she said calmly.

"You have disappointed me, Perenelle," said Dumbledore seriously, "and you have abused the trust I gave you."

Harry looked between them, totally confused.

Perenelle turned and said, "Harry, we are going to have a little chat now. Please take a seat."

Harry just stood there. He wasn't about to allow himself to be ordered about in the Headmaster's office.

"Perenelle, enough," said Dumbledore.

Perenelle ignored him and pointed her wand directly at Harry and shouted, "IMPERIO!"

Harry quickly shook off the curse and instead raised his own wand, now fearing what Perenelle might have done. The office door opened.

"Is Hermione alright?" Harry asked not taking his eyes off Perenelle.

"She's a little upset but she'll be fine," said Professor McGonagall as she entered.

Perenelle was staring at Harry, completely ignoring the two Professors.

"I wouldn't if I was you, Perenelle" said Dumbledore quietly.

"Legilimens!" Perenelle suddenly shouted and in the same moment Harry shouted, "Expelliarmus!"

Perenelle's want flew out of her hand and Harry he took a step closer.

Through his anger Harry registered Dumbledore say, "That's enough, Harry." He stopped his advance.

"There!" shouted Perenelle pointing at Harry's midriff. "I couldn't see it before! You did it, didn't you? You and that idiot husband of mine!"

Harry and Professor McGonagall looked at each other with totally confused expressions.

"Perenelle, what are you talking about?" she asked, "and why did you interrogate Miss Granger?"

The flames in the fireplace flared up and a deep voice said, "Perenelle? What are you doing there?"

Perenelle spun around and stared at the face in the fireplace. For the first time she looked worried.

The voice became stern and said, "Come home at once, Perenelle."

There was a small pop and the head was gone.

*

At about three o'clock in the morning, Harry sat uncomfortably next to Hermione's bed in the Hospital Wing. He held his eyes closed, trying to make some sense out of what happened earlier.

He hadn't yet spoken to Hermione as she had been given a sedative before he arrived and had been asleep all evening. Madam Pomfrey had long since given up telling him to leave.

Harry frowned to himself. Why would Perenelle want to interrogate Hermione and himself? She also, apparently, had no fear of doing so even in front of Dumbledore. What had she seen when she pointed at him? What had Dumbledore and Perenelle's husband done?

"You look rather uncomfortable," Hermione said suddenly.

Harry opened his eyes at once, unbalanced and had to steady himself so as not to fall off the chair.

"Are you okay?" he asked, breathing hard recovering from the shock.

"I'm fine," she said grimacing a little, "just tired and a bad headache."

"Try to rest. We can talk in the morning," he said gently.

"She's a Legilimens. She tried to read my mind."

"Me too," Harry whispered. Hermione grabbed his hand and held tight. A little while later he felt her relax and drift off to sleep again, leaving Harry to wonder how he was ever going to get comfortable now he was holding Hermione's hand too.