Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Crucible by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Crucible

jardyn39

The Crucible

by Jardyn39

Part Two of "The Apprentice Piece"

Chapter 9: Boxing Day

A sleepy and bleary eyed Harry opened his bedroom door and immediately smelled the breakfast being cooked down in the basement kitchen.

Harry was surprised to find Winky standing in the middle of the lobby looking still sleepy and a little confused.

"Hello, Winky," he said gently, "Have a good night's sleep?"

"Very good, thank you, Sir," she replied.

"Winky, it's Christmas and we're both guests here," he said quietly, "I'd be much happier if you'd call me Harry, not Sir."

Winky looked too tired to argue but was clearly going to have a go anyway when they were both startled by Mrs Granger rushing out of a bedroom looking quite stricken.

"Harry! Winky!" she said, "It's awful! Come and look!"

Alarmed, Harry and Winky followed her back into the bedroom but Harry was relieved to see that it was nothing serious. On the floor next to the bed was the broken vase and the flower was in pieces.

Harry shut the door and drew out his wand.

"Pardon me, Sir," said Winky, "But is you not supposed to be doing magic in front of Mrs Granger?"

"Well, yes you're right," Harry said and smiled. "This is a secret between trusted friends, okay?"

Winky smiled sheepishly and nodded.

Harry waved the wand and said "Reparo!" The vase jumped together and back onto the side table. "We'll need another bean or something to transfigure another flower, I'm afraid."

Mrs Granger clapped her hands together and sighed with relief.

"I won't put an unbreakable charm on it because it might get mixed up with some non-magical items one day."

The door opened and they were again interrupted by Hermione who saw Harry still holding his wand this time.

"I was just explaining to your Mum about the job Ron's Dad does, making sure magical items don't accidentally fall into the hands of non-magical people."

"Sounds fascinating," said Mrs Granger, "Shall we go down to breakfast?"

"Breakfast!" cried Winky rushing out, "Dobby must not be doing everything by himself!"

Harry and Mrs Granger acted like they couldn't see the expression on Hermione's face as they followed Winky downstairs.

*

The Weasley's arrived at a little after noon. As soon as the greetings were over, Mr Weasley insisting on exchanging presents. Harry went down to get Dobby and Winky and when everyone was present, Hermione and Ginny handed out gifts from under the enormous Christmas tree in the drawing room.

Very soon the entire room was strewn with wrapping paper and echoing with laughter.

At three o'clock they all sat down to dinner, Dobby managing to wear every one of his presents.

At some point during the meal, Harry found himself looking around the table seeing everybody engaged in conversation or laughing. He felt a sudden and unexpected pang of emotion. Everybody was there for him. Just so he could enjoy Christmas.

He caught Hermione's eye and he smiled. She smiled back and he blushed, wondering how long she had been watching him.

*

Much later in the evening, Harry left the noise of the drawing room for a moment's quiet back down in the kitchen. Fred and George had given Ron a pack of exploding snap cards that were somewhat louder and more dangerous than the regular kind. The three of them and Mr Granger were playing with reckless abandon.

In the corridor, he passed Mr Weasley venturing back into the drawing room.

"Mr Weasley, could I ask you something?"

"Of course, Harry," he replied smiling.

"Is there a record of the donations made to St Mungos?"

Mr Weasley's smile vanished.

"I don't have access to most of the records," he said quietly, "Fudge handles the cash donations personally. I've been reluctant to make too many enquiries because Fudge fired someone last year when they queried a property donation left in a will."

Harry nodded and asked, "Are there any records at all we could get hold of?"

"Only the money dropped into the fountains," he replied. "The money is collected by a different department and they get a receipt when they pass it on."

Harry raised his eyebrows.

"I'll get a copy of the records to Dumbledore," said Mr Weasley.

"Don't take any chances though. Dumbledore would be upset if-"

"Don't worry, Harry," he interrupted, "Molly would kill me if I lost my job."

*

Harry walked into the kitchen to find Hermione and her mother deep in conversation. They looked like they were having a private chat so Harry made to leave.

"Don't go, Harry," said Mrs Granger smiling. "Has my husband still got his eyebrows?"

"Well, one maybe," Harry said laughing but his face fell a little when he remembered what he wanted to ask.

"What is it, Harry?" asked Hermione.

"Well, I wanted to ask you something," he said hesitantly. "Both of you, really."

They both looked at him expectantly.

"I was wondering if you'd be prepared to stay over tomorrow night as well?"

Both their faces lit up and Mrs Granger said, "We'd love to!"

"Er, hang on," said Harry, "Don't agree so quickly."

"Why ever not?" asked Hermione.

Harry sat down and took a deep breath.

"You know Professor Harbinger?"

"Yes," said Hermione.

"Well, he knew my mother when she was still at Hogwarts. He actually got expelled but my mother wrote to him. She continued to write until she died. I have her letters and also copies. The seal that will allow me to read them will break tomorrow. Professor Harbinger thought she was actually writing to me and that her messages may be revealed somehow when I read the originals. The thing is, I won't be very good company and-" Harry faltered, now staring down at the table.

Mrs Granger got up and hugged him from behind saying in an emotional voice, "It's settled. We're staying." She sniffed a little and let go before leaving the kitchen.

Harry looked up to see Hermione dabbing her eyes.

"Thanks," he said a little hoarsely.

She smiled warmly.

"I suppose," he said and cleared his throat, "you've been wondering when I was going to give you your real present?"

"Not at all, Harry," said Hermione as Ron rushed in and dived for the sink. He emerged shortly after, sporting flaming electric blue hair.

"If Fred or George offer you a new kind of drink," he said, "don't take it unless you want to see the room revolve. What are you laughing at?"