Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Crucible by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Crucible

jardyn39

The Crucible

by Jardyn39

Part Two of "The Apprentice Piece"

Chapter 2: Tea with Hagrid

Harry walked towards the small group standing in front on the burning tent. McGonagall and Flitwick looked relieved he was alright and were comforting Hermione who was facing away from him, clearly upset. Snape had gone. Harbinger looked annoyed but Moody looked absolutely livid with him. Lupin was walking back towards the Headmaster.

Harry looked at the Headmaster as Moody said, "Potter, you destroyed the tent before using the killing curse or any of the unforgivable curses."

"I went in there to face the unforgivable curses, not use them," said Harry, and Dumbledore smiled at him.

"But Potter-" began Moody, sounding exasperated.

"I'll never be able to use a killing curse with this wand," Harry interrupted, "besides, I'm not sure that resorting to a killing curse won't prevent me from achieving something more."

"What will that matter if you're dead?" retorted Moody, almost shouting. "That wand could decimate an attacker in the right hands. What's the point of having it if you won't kill with it?"

"Alastor," Dumbledore said warningly, "the wand will choose wizard. Harry, please take Hermione back up to the castle. All this talk of killing is just upsetting her even more. We will discuss this later."

Harry hurried over to Hermione. As he approached Professor McGonagall whispered a final word of encouragement and then she and Flitwick left and went back to the others.

As Harry stopped next to Hermione and looked at her he suddenly felt anguished. Tears were freely falling down her red cheeks.

"Let's go back to the castle," Harry said gently. She shook her head violently. "Around the lake then?" he asked. After a moment, she nodded and they walked away, not looking back.

*

When they got to the furthest point on the far side of the lake, Hermione found her voice again.

"That has to be one of the stupidest things you've ever done," she said, angrily wiping away the last of her tears.

"I'm sorry, Hermione."

"You could have been killed or seriously injured."

"Yes, Hermione."

"Dumbledore assured me that the final level didn't need to be modified. He implied that it would not be used."

"Professor Dumbledore didn't make me go in there, Hermione."

"He didn't stop you either, did he?"

"Please don't blame him for my decision."

"I blame both of you."

"I have to face these things. I have to learn."

"What did you learn today?" she spat angrily.

"Something rather interesting. It's why Moody was so angry."

"What do you mean?" Hermione asked a little gentler.

"Just before I walked into the arena, I heard you speaking when Moody told me I was clear to go in. I tried putting you out of my thoughts as I walked inside. I knew I'd be using the unforgivable curses inside and I was determined to be as ruthless and unfeeling as possible. It didn't work, of course," he said smiling at her.

Hermione frowned a little and Harry continued, "Every time I considered using one of the unforgivable curses your voice would always persuade me not to. My conscience always speaks to be in your voice, you know. Somehow I knew, for the first time, that if I resort to dark magic then some avenues will be lost to me forever. It might even lead to a decent into something worse."

"And you really had to be facing a killing curse to realise that?"

"Yes. Before today I just wanted to be able to retaliate. If that meant using the Unforgivable Curses then so be it. That changed today."

"Surely using them against Voldemort and the Death Eaters would be justified?"

"Before today, I'd have agreed completely."

"I can sort of understand fearing that you'd be seduced by using dark magic. That's well documented," Hermione said, "but what will be lost forever? What are these avenues?"

"When I was at the Ministry during the summer, the lift took me on a slight detour. I ended up in one of the lower levels of the Department of Mysteries. We didn't see any of those levels when we went last year. I was brought there by an Unspeakable named Fides. He kind of introduced me to some possibilities," Harry finished, hoping that Hermione wouldn't quiz him too much on the details.

"What kind of possibilities?"

"Well, he showed me some of my potential if I didn't have a link with Voldemort."

"What kind of potential?"

"Actually, I'm trying hard not to tell you about the details. Fides said I shouldn't say."

Hermione's eyes narrowed.

"Hermione, please don't push me on this," Harry pleaded. "The truth is Fides allowed me to use some of that potential and I'm afraid if I tell anyone it'll come undone. I've already said far more than I should."

Harry prayed this would satisfy her. Fides had insisted that she should never know of his involvement in Hermione's recovery.

Hermione considered him carefully for a moment before finally nodding. She turned and looked back at the castle and suddenly shivered.

"Here," Harry said quickly taking off his cloak and draping it around her, "let's visit Hagrid's unless you're ready to go back to the castle."

"Thanks," she whispered and they walked slowly towards Hagrid's house.

*

Harry rapped on the door to Hagrid's house and they immediately heard barking from inside.

Hagrid opened the door and greeted them.

"Hermione, you look frozen. Come in and warm up," Hagrid said before proceeding to pour them all large cups of steaming tea. They politely refused his offer of rock cakes.

When they were all comfortably seated, Hagrid told them what he had been doing earlier that day.

"Just finished clearing away the las' of tha' dam tent. Good thing too, if you ask me," he said seriously. "Me and Fang spent the whole time chasing students away from the 'orrible thing ever since it were put up. It were evil. Kept whispering at me as we walked past it."

"How is the refugee camp coming along, Hagrid?" asked Harry, sensing Hermione tensing at mention of the Auror Tent.

"All finished. The first families are due to arrive tomorrow. The Regiment did most of the work and they've even adapted the spare field hospital to provide school facilities."

"Can we go and see?" asked Hermione.

Hagrid shot a look at Harry and muttered, "Well, Dumbledore, said no. It's not secure, Harry. We know that You-Know-Who will be sending spies and possibly worse."

Harry shrugged and nodded.

"So, 'Arry," said Hagrid changing the subject, "can I 'ave a look at tha' wand?"

"My Apprentice piece? Sure, Hagrid, here," said Harry, taking it from his pocket and handing him the wand.

Hagrid's eyes lit up as he held it. It looked tiny in his massive hands.

"I was outside when you were making it, y'know," he said handing it to Hermione who examined it closely.

"I keep wondering about the Holly bush it came from," said Harry, thinking aloud. "What was so special about that tree, and what wands came from it, apart from the one Dumbledore made."

"Dumbledore's wand?" asked Hermione.

"No, but he made a wand when he was young and it was destroyed years later. He said he was tricked into making it, but he cut the wood from a specific tree."

"Still," Hagrid said a little loudly, and Harry and Hermione could tell he was becoming uncomfortable with Harry's train of thought, "it's not the wand that's important."

"That's right!" said Harry, "Dumbledore said something like that. What was it? He said the Order wanted to be present for the creation of something special and when I asked if it was really that important he just reminded me what George Hellar said about the piece not being important."

"Who is George Hellar?" asked Hermione, as Harry observed Hagrid's fidgeting that told him he was afraid of revealing something he shouldn't. Harry decided he would leave Hermione to get the information.

"He is the carpenter I helped in the summer. He got me to make this as an apprentice piece. He said I wasn't to let anyone else help me. At the time I didn't know he knew Dumbledore and I was convinced he wanted me to have something to remind me what I could do."

At that moment a knocking on the door interrupted their conversation. Hagrid scrambled to the door and opened it.

"Headmaster! Come in, come in," Hagrid said sounding relieved.

Harry looked at Hermione and knew she too was wondering why Hagrid was so uncomfortable talking about the wand whilst also being very interested in it.

Dumbledore came in and sat down at the table directly opposite Hermione as Hagrid hurried to make some fresh teas.

"Hermione, I owe you an apology. I allowed you to believe that Harry would not be allowed to attempt the final level in the tent. I thought about sending you on an errand after Alastor and Professor Harbinger had finished, but I felt that would make things worse."

Hermione nodded and looked down.

"May I ask you something, Professor?" she asked, still looking down.

"Of course."

"Harry told me he realised he couldn't risk attempting to perform an unforgivable curse using that wand."

"I guessed that was the case."

"Actually, Hermione," said Harry, "I don't think I'll be performing any unforgivable curses with my proper wand either. My conscience would have something to say about it."

They shared a brief half smile as Hermione understood what he meant.

"What I wanted to know," continued Hermione seriously, "is what the potential is that Harry won't tell me about."

Dumbledore smiled and said, "I didn't actually witness anything personally, but it certainly sounded impressive from what I have been told. Memories were modified afterwards, of course."

Hermione gave Dumbledore a searching look. "Did you modify any memories because of this?"

"No," replied Dumbledore, "nor did I forbid Harry to tell you what happened."

Hermione shot Harry a look and he immediately answered, "But someone else did, though."

"The Unspeakable, I suppose," Hermione muttered as Hagrid handed out the fresh teas.

"Just so we are clear," began Hermione.

"Hermione," warned Harry gently but stopped when Dumbledore help up his hand.

Hermione looked directly at Dumbledore and continued, "I still think that allowing Harry to do something so dangerous was irresponsible. However, Harry has asked me to blame him for actually going into that tent, and I do."

Dumbledore smiled sadly and said, "You're right, of course. The worst of it is that I will undoubtedly place Harry in danger again. Speaking of which, Harry, we are due to receive a visit from Ministry officials who will be inspecting the refugee camp next week. Unfortunately I will be obliged to attend. On Monday we are also expecting another visitor. I was hoping you and Hermione would agree to show her around the castle and grounds while I am detained."

"Of course," Harry and Hermione said together. Harry was surprised since usually such duties would be performed by the Head Boy and Girl.

"Thank you. She is due at nine o'clock but is always late. She may appear to elderly and frail but she likes to deceive. She also loves to be difficult and argumentative. She will undoubtedly take it upon herself to test you both to make sure to are up to the high standards she expects."

"She sounds like Aunt Marge," Harry joked, "Is there anywhere she shouldn't go?" He assumed she would be from the Ministry.

"No," said Dumbledore causally, "take her anywhere she wishes. Answer any of her questions as you think appropriate."

"What's her name, Professor?" Hermione asked, "Is she a School Governor or from the Ministry?"

"She is neither a School Governor nor from the Ministry. Her name, although she often uses an alias, is Perenelle."

"Oh, Gawd," Hagrid said rubbing his fingers through his hair.

Dumbledore smiled at him and continued, "I also received a reply to the communication I told you about, Harry."

Harry frowned for a moment and then suddenly remembered.

"It will be as we discussed. With a reduced staff and potential enemies within the refugee camp we can't take any chances."

"I understand," said Harry.

Dumbledore looked directly at Hermione and said smiling, "To return to the subject of your original enquiry, Hermione. I personally think it's rather encouraging that Harry is beginning to think of possibilities of life after Voldemort. It really isn't important what the possibilities are for the future, just so long as there are some."