Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Crucible by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Crucible

jardyn39

The Crucible

by Jardyn39

Part Two of "The Apprentice Piece"

Chapter 7: End of Term

They were waiting for the carriages outside the castle. It was the start of the Christmas holidays and everyone was busy shivering and wishing each other a happy holiday. Harry would be travelling separately and Ron and Hermione still didn't know he wouldn't be spending his holiday at Hogwarts.

Hermione clutched a large box that Harry was sure contained his psychological profile, or whatever she and the others had really been working on.

Seeing him looking at it, Hermione said happily, "Professor Dumbledore charmed it so it would open and seal itself without my actually needing to do magic."

Harry nodded and smiled, "I hope you have time to do your homework as well, Hermione."

"Oh, this is just so I can get an expert opinion!" she replied.

"Who is the expert?" asked Ron.

"My Mum, of course!"

Eventually Harry waved as the carriages departed. As they passed out of view he turned to find Professor Harbinger standing next to him.

"I'm sorry, Professor," he said a little startled, "I didn't see you there."

Harbinger smiled and said, "I've left your mother's letters with the Headmaster. He and Professor Flitwick have arranged for the letters to be sealed. The seal will break at a predetermined time. All you have to do is touch the seal on the box."

"Thank you, Professor," Harry said.

"Well, I'm supposed to be meeting Alastor and Filius in the village for an end of term drink so I'd better go and get ready," he said rubbing his hands. "Have a good break, Harry."

They shook hands and Harbinger departed back into the castle.

*

Harry knocked on the Headmaster's office door and it opened at once. He entered the room and was greeted by Remus Lupin who had been speaking to Dumbledore.

"Harry, you will Portkey from here directly to Grimmauld Place," said the Headmaster. "You will be joined on Christmas morning by the Grangers who have agreed to stay over. The Weasleys will join you on Boxing Day."

"That's great," said Harry smiling.

Dumbledore handed Harry a small timber chest about the size of a shoebox. It had polished timber sides with polished metal corners and straps. At the front was a polished metal seal bearing the Gryffindor crest.

"Professor Harbinger said it would be best if you didn't read the letters until after the Christmas festivities. He included additional copies of his letters as well so you can still read them should the original writing change."

Harry was rather disappointed not to be able to read the letters immediately. This must have been reflected in his face because Lupin added, "It wouldn't really be fair to your guests if you spent the whole time reading, Harry. Besides, some of those letters are bound to upset you."

Harry nodded. It was true. Everyone was going to a lot of trouble so he could have company for Christmas.

"Oh, and Harry," said Dumbledore as he handed him a battered kettle, "l think you'll find that letters telling you off for performing underage magic won't reach you at Grimmauld Place. The Ministry will know magic has been performed but it won't know for sure where or by whom it was performed. Please don't tell the others, though. Have a good holiday."

Harry grinned back at him and said, "You too!"

*

Harry and Lupin spent the rest of the day cleaning Grimmauld Place from top to bottom. It was much quicker and easier with magic. Harry had tentatively started using a couple of minor cleaning charms but later in the day, after no Ministry letters arrived, he was becoming much bolder.

Harry had just finished transfiguring the moth eaten drawing room curtains into brand new curtains using his apprentice piece wand when he became aware that Lupin was standing in the doorway watching him.

Harry smiled seeing him and Lupin said, "How about some dinner?"

"That'd be good," said Harry.

Lupin walked over to the new curtains and examined them closely. He drew out his wand and muttered something before pocketing his wand again. Harry wondered what he was doing, but didn't like to ask.

"How permanent are these transfigurations?" Lupin asked still holding the curtains.

"I don't know, really," Harry replied. "I know if I use my normal wand they would revert back after time. This wand feels different though."

"I'd say these are permanent, Harry," Lupin said quietly. Harry raised his eyebrows in surprise. He knew permanent transfigurations were very difficult and were only generally performed successfully after years of experience.

As they walked down to the kitchens to cook themselves a meal they passed the wall that once held the portrait of Sirius' mother. It had been removed before he arrived, together with a good part of the brickwork behind it. Kreacher was long gone too.

Lupin had wanted to take down the tapestry showing the Black family tree but Harry had said he thought it should remain for a while. He had tried to restore Sirius on it earlier, but it hadn't worked. He planned on having a more determined effort that evening.

*

"There's a book upstairs that has some charms for building and the like. If you could manage to permanently rebuild the brickwork behind that portrait it would save a lot of trouble not to mention expense," said Lupin. "I don't think I could do anything permanent enough."

"Sure, I'll have a go," said Harry as he placed a hot plate with Lupin's meal in front of him. He soon joined Lupin at the table with his own meal.

They ate in silence until Harry, having finished his meal said, "I wasn't sure how I'd feel about coming back here."

Lupin nodded in understanding and gave a small smile.

"Who own this place now?" asked Harry.

"Well, that's undecided at the moment."

Harry frowned and Lupin continued, "Sirius left a Will but as he was on the run from Azkaban when he made it, it hasn't been recognised. As a result Sirius' estate is the subject of the Wizengamot Probate Court. Fudge wants the cash."

"Won't that be a problem for the Order?"

"Not really. For some reason the Court can't find the place." They both laughed and Lupin continued, "Sirius intended for me to get this place and a small sum to help maintain it. The bulk of his vault was split between Tonks and yourself as soon as you came of age. He also wanted you to have a few things, mostly books and some papers. Fortunately we managed to move most of his books and papers here before he died. He intended you to have them for your studies."

Harry looked down, still very uncomfortable whenever Sirius' death was mentioned.

"Did Sirius know there might be a problem?" asked Harry.

"I suspect he knew there might be problems," Lupin said with a small smile. "His vault was found to be almost empty when they eventually got in. The Gringotts goblins wouldn't say when it was emptied, either."

Harry blanched. "My Firebolt must have cost a fortune though. He might've spent it all-"

Lupin laughed and said, "No Harry, I promise you. The Black family was very rich. That's why they were so annoyed not to get their hands on the cash. Sirius' money will end up where and when he intended, I'm sure. Unfortunately he wasn't able to legally transfer ownership of this property, that's all."

Harry considered this for a long moment before asking, "Why does Fudge want the money? Is it something personal against Sirius?"

Lupin shrugged, "I thought it might be but it appears he has done the same thing to get his hands on other estates. No-one is sure what happens to the money when it liquidated and transferred to the Ministry."

Harry was rather shocked to hear this. "What about all the money Lucius Malfoy bribed him with? Did it ever reach the good causes?"

"Who knows?" said Lupin getting up. "I'll do the washing up since you cooked, then I'll start putting up some decorations."

"OK, thanks," said Harry absently. "I'll start on that wall in a bit. There's something I just need to do first."

*

Harry entered the bedroom and went straight over to the empty portrait of Sirius' great-great-grandfather.

"Hello?" Harry shouted loudly at the painting.

After a while Phineas Nigellus ambled into the frame and looked at him disdainfully.

"Harry Potter," he said dryly, "What do you want?"

"A favour, actually," Harry said. "Is Dilys Derwent in her portrait in Professor Dumbledore's office? If she is could you please give her my compliments and ask her if she wouldn't mind coming over here so I can have a word."

Phineas Nigellus looked at Harry, clearly calculating how annoyed he could make Harry.

"And what, may I ask, do wish to ask her?"

Harry just drew out his wand and said calmly, "You do remember I can do magic here now, don't you?"

Almost immediately Harry found himself looking at the kindly, smiling face of Dilys Derwent. Phineas Nigellus had not yet returned.

"Hello, dear," she said kindly. "Phineas said you wanted a word. He was most insistent that I come quickly."

They both laughed and Harry asked, "Do you know how much St. Mungo's actually receives in charitable donations?"

"I don't have any figures but I can find out if you wish. I know some of the administrators have complained that the donations have been dropping just recently. It's unusual because several well funded trusts support the hospital and it's customary for folk to will small donations."

"That'd be great. Maybe the figures could be sent to Hogwarts. Would it sound plausible if we said it was for some sort of statistical analysis project."

"I'll make something up."

"Do all the donations come through the Ministry?"

"Traditionally, yes. That's because most of the expenditure of the Hospital is managed by the Ministry and also some donations may be property or valuables instead of money."

Harry nodded and said, "Thanks. If we can prove that some of the donations are being diverted it would make Fudge very uncomfortable."

"And maybe Tonks and Lupin might get what Sirius wanted," she said knowingly.

*

Harry and Lupin finished the last of the Christmas decorations just after midnight. They might have been able to finish sooner except Harry kept disappearing downstairs to check his rebuilding of the wall behind Mrs Black's portrait. Harry was sure it would collapse or vanish any moment, despite Lupin's assurances that it was as permanent as real brickwork.

Harry vanished the last of the stray tinsel that had fallen to the floor and turned as Lupin handed him a small glass.

"Merry Christmas, Harry," he said chinking glasses. "This should help you sleep."

Harry drank cautiously and felt his mouth and throat burn slightly with the strong alcohol. Harry felt his eyes begin to water slightly and struggled not to cough. He assumed from the colour of the drink that this was firewhiskey. His second and subsequent sips went down much easier.