Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Crucible by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Crucible

jardyn39

The Crucible

by Jardyn39

Part Two of "The Apprentice Piece"

Chapter 13: The Book Store

Harry left the Headmaster's office to meet the carriages bringing the students back for the start of the term.

Dumbledore had agreed to Harry's request that Dobby and Winky be asked to act as Hermione's bodyguards for as long as necessary. Both of them were to be ordered to attack Harry without warning if they even suspected he might not be himself. Harry had already forbidden either of them from punishing themselves for anything they might have to do.

Harry had spent the New Year with Lupin and Hagrid. They had each been given strict instructions from Dumbledore not to discuss certain things with Harry. This could have been frustrating but once Harry had accepted the situation, be found talking through things with them to be very useful. Harry trusted both of them implicitly. This meant he could confide in them.

Hagrid, it was true, was uncomfortable about not telling Harry everything he knew. Lupin was much more adept at steering the conversations away as necessary.

Hagrid kept asking strange questions that Harry was sure were intended to give him hints or at least get him thinking along certain lines. This was usually accompanied by Lupin giving Hagrid a stern warning look.

In the end, Harry had asked a series of questions directly of Dumbledore. He chose to answer some but not others.

His most useful answer concerned the apprentice piece. Dumbledore confirmed it had nothing to do with breaking the crucible. Dumbledore had considered his words very carefully when he answered though, and Harry was sure there was some kind of link, probably to do with after the crucible is broken.

Harry stood on the entrance steps waiting. Hearing someone approach from behind, he turned to see Harbinger.

"Thank you for the letters," Harry said smiling. "I've only had a chance to read the first one so far. You were right, there were letters for me. They popped out when I started to read."

Harbinger smiled and nodded.

"She described you as a valued friend that she thought had the best chance to survive," Harry said.

"Harry, now that we've lost the tent, I'd like to suggest we step up your conventional defensive training. If you're determined not to use the unforgivable curses you'll probably want to learn some others."

Harry smiled and nodded, "That might be a good idea. Did Professor Dumbledore tell you what happened?"

"Yes, Harry."

"Well, please don't hesitate to stun me," said Harry. "Don't take any chances."

Harry turned back to see the carriages approaching.

*

"Twenty points from Gryffindor, Potter," drawled Snape. "Our class starts in five minutes and if you're late again it'll be twenty more."

When Harry opened his eyes Snape had gone. Kneeling next to him on the grass was Hermione.

"Please, Dobby," she pleaded, "Harry will be fine. You did the right thing."

Harry sat up, still a little dazed.

"What happened?" he asked.

"Dobby thought you were acting a bit weird, so he stunned you."

"Thanks, Dobby," he said smiling weakly. "Hey, stop looking so sorry. I asked you to do this, didn't I?"

The elf nodded sadly and said, "Dobby saw Harry Potter staring at Miss Hermione."

Harry got to his feet and found Ron looking at him.

"Er, Harry?" he said, "If Dobby stuns you every time you have a blank vacant look on your face, this is going to be a tough term for you."

Hermione laughed all the way to potions.

*

"Excuse me, Madam Pince," Harry said, "Have you seen Hermione? She said she would be here."

"Yes, she's in the book store. Go through the Restricted Section and take the door at the end."

"Er, thanks," said Harry, although he had no recollection of ever seeing a door there.

Harry walked through the restricted section to the very end of the shelves. Right in the corner was a narrow door. He turned the door handle and opened the door.

He found himself in a dark room surrounded by bookshelves reaching high up to the ceiling. The ceiling had to be at least twice as high as the library he'd just come from.

He was about to shout but decided to close the door first for fear of upsetting Madam Pince.

"Hermione? Are you in here?" he shouted.

"Back here, Harry," she replied from somewhere.

As Harry's eyes became accustomed to the dark, he could see the shelves stretch far into the distance. Ahead he saw a light move. It was Hermione holding up a lantern. He hurried towards her.

"I didn't even know there was a book store," he said smiling when he eventually reached her.

"Neither did I!"

"Good job too," said Harry, "or we'd never get you out of here!"

She swatted his arm and walked back to the table she was working from.

"Where are Dobby and Winky?" he asked looking around.

"Dobby is working in the kitchens and Winky has gone to find me some more parchment.

"Hermione!" said Harry in an exasperated tone. "I'd better go then."

"Don't be daft, Harry. Dobby might have stunned you a few times but nothing has actually happened yet, has it?"

Harry was torn between admitting that Dobby had actually stunned him several more times than Hermione had been aware of and actually agreeing with her. He compromised by saying, "Yet."

"What?" asked Hermione, who was by then climbing an ancient looking ladder to get to some books on a very high shelf.

"Hermione, please be careful. I could have got those for you."

"I'm fine," she said just as the ladder gave a menacing creak. "Whoops."

The ladder came crashing down, breaking into several pieces.

"Er, Harry," he heard from high above. "A little help?"

Hermione appeared to be hanging on to the highest shelf.

Harry drew out his wand and said, "Wingardium Leviosa!"

Hermione floated gently down towards safety when they heard an unwelcome interruption.

"Oh dear, Potty, you're out of bounds."

Harry ignored Malfoy and concentrated on getting Hermione safely down. She was still dangerously high up.

"I understand that the house elves have started a tradition of stunning you on sight, Potty," Malfoy drawled. "Well, I'm all for new traditions like that."

Just in time, Hermione reached the ground.

Harry turned to face Malfoy and immediately advanced on him. Even through the darkness Harry could see with some satisfaction the panic spread across Malfoy's face.

Malfoy's first stunner was easily blocked by Harry. He followed this by a poorly aimed reductor curse that flew over Harry's head.

Harry turned at once to see the curse blast the shelves next to Hermione and then ricochet upwards hitting more shelves.

"No!" he shouted and ran back towards her as heavy shelving and books rained down on her. Harry dived into the falling debris and tried to shield her as much as possible.

Ignoring the searing pain in his chest and the heavy blows to his back and legs he yelled, "Hermione! Are you okay?"

She did not reply.

Harry desperately reached down through the splintered wood until he felt something. He grasped her hand. She was still warm. He desperately felt for a pulse.

He scrambled up, pushing the debris from his back and called for Malfoy to help. He was nowhere to be seen.

Harry pulled away the broken bits of shelving until he uncovered Hermione. She was covered with dust and dirt but otherwise didn't look hurt. It looked like a large self had jammed above her head protecting her from the worst of the debris. He gingerly shifted it out of the way.

She still hadn't moved. Harry, as gently as possible, reached for her neck and tried again to feel for her pulse. His hands were shaking and he was badly cut.

She stirred at almost the same time as he actually felt a pulse. At that moment for the second time in as many weeks Harry felt himself collapse next to her. The pain in his chest reached a new peak.

"Harry?" she said weakly. "Why are you crying?"

"Me? I'm not crying," he said wiping away tears, "Oh, maybe I was then. I just thought I'd lost you again for a moment. I'm just relived I've not lost you."

The sound of some more debris falling came from above and Harry lent in to shield her.

"Um, it's just a suggestion, Harry," whispered Hermione, now very close, "but I'm kind of pinned in here and-"

"Oh, sorry," he started, "I'll try and get you out."

"Harry, shut up and listen will you?" she said sounding rather annoyed. "Where have you gone?"

"I'm right here."

"You're not where you were when I started to speak, are you?"

"This better?" he asked. Hermione hadn't opened her eyes yet due to the amount of dust and dirt still falling.

"Yes," she whispered, "Now, I was about to say that I'm not about to run off anywhere."

"Is there something wrong with you legs?"

"No, Harry, I'm fine apart from all the stupid interruptions."

"Sorry, Hermione," he said lightly brushing dust from her face.

"Now then. I'd like you to tell me the truth."

"What about?"

She sighed. "My Mum was right all along, you know? I kept saying you couldn't be that thick, but she knew."

Harry couldn't see clearly in the dark but he knew she was grinning.

"What was it she said about me?" he asked.

"No, Harry, you don't get to ask that. Not until you've told me the truth."

"A hint would be helpful," he said.

Hermione sighed again. "We should have done this a long time ago," she said. "I can usually tell what state your emotions are in just by looking at you. I may not know why you're feeling a particular way, but I usually know what it is. Right now, I've got my eyes closed, so I can't see your face. I can hear something in your voice, but you're going to have to talk to me if I'm to know what you're feeling."

Harry could feel the warmth from Hermione face on his lips.

"I'm not that good at describing how I feel sometimes," he said at last.

"The most difficult thing for anyone to describe is what they are feeling," she said gently. "Of course you set new standards for bottling things up inside."

"Well, I do have a nice crucible to bottle things up in, you know," he said.

"Stop trying to change the subject," she said with half a laugh. "I'm still waiting."

"Can I at least try and clear come of this rubble?" he asked.

"Nope," she said, "I'm quite comfortable, thank you."

They were quiet for a moment, Harry choosing his next words carefully.

"Well," he began, "first of all, Hermione, my thoughts and feelings have been rather confused lately. What I'm trying to say is I'll try to tell you the truth but you'll have to forgive me if I seem to wander off a bit."

"Okay, I'll try not to interrupt."

"Thanks. When I looked around and saw what Malfoy's spell had done, it started again except this time my scar hasn't hurt at all. The pain in my chest was the worst it's ever been when I was trying to find your pulse."

"The pain's not the problem, Harry. Just try to ignore it for now. Tell me about how you feel."

"That's an interruption, Hermione."

"Sorry."

"Last year, when we went to the Department of Mysteries, my worst fear happened in front of my eyes. When it happened I just went to pieces for a while. It was Neville that kept his head and brought me back. I never faced up to what could have happened and it still scares me to think of it."

Harry paused for a moment.

"When," he said and blinked back tears. "When Voldemort almost got to you, it was almost the same thing. I just sat there as the others told me what happened with these terrible images running through my mind."

"And just now," he said, his voice breaking, "I was terrified I'd lost you again."

He lowered his head and their foreheads gently touched.

"Hermione, Professor Dumbledore told me last year that Voldemort couldn't keep possessing me when he tried to goad him into killing me because of a power I possessed. He was talking about love. For most of my life that I can remember, I have never been loved nor have I loved anyone. I can't honestly say that I even know what love is, let alone describe the feeling. But what I can say is, what I feel for you and my fear of losing you is like nothing I've ever felt before. Dumbledore said it was at the same time more terrible and more wonderful than anything."

He lifted his head slightly and whispered, "Hermione, I love you."

"Oh, Harry," she whispered and raised her head to kiss him.

Harry just about heard Hermione say, "Urgh, Harry, too much dust," when the spasm of pain caught him. He clenched his sides and grimaced. He couldn't breath.

Hermione, realising Harry was in trouble, released herself and jumped up. Harry had rolled backwards but was staggering on his feet. She pushed him backwards against the broken bookshelves.

"Harry, don't fight it," she said, hurling her arms around his neck. Instinctively he grabbed her and held tight as if his life depended on it.

Suddenly he heard a loud crack and the pain was gone. They stood panting holding each other.

"Did you hear a cracking noise, or did I imagine that?" he asked.

"I heard something too," she said.

"Excuse me, Miss Hermione," said a high pitched voice making Harry jump. "Professor Dumbledore asks if you would bring Harry Potter to his office at your earliest convenience."

"Thanks, Winky," Hermione said without stirring.

"Winky," asked Harry, "were you here the whole time?"

*

A somewhat dirty Harry and Hermione entered the Headmaster's office, leaving a trail of dust that led all the way back to the library via Myrtle's bathroom.

Myrtle had laughed herself silly at the state of them when they entered but Hermione insisted they clean themselves up a little at least. They only got as far as washing each other's faces before Hermione felt they had delayed going to see the Headmaster for long enough. Harry would have been happier staying in the bathroom with Hermione, even if Myrtle was there cooing at them.

They were greeted by Dumbledore who chuckled at the state of them. He immediately took a pinch of floo powder and soon they were joined by Nicholas Flamel.

After examining Harry closely, he declared the crucible to be broken with no ill effects.

"But I don't feel any different," Harry said. "I was afraid I'd just turn evil or something. I do keep thinking of all the things I'd like to do to Malfoy."

"Harry, you thought those things before as well!" said Hermione laughing.

"It may take many years for the full effects to come to light," said Dumbledore kindly. "It was all in the dream, Harry. The figures in the bottle crouched together in fear of being released. The bottled elements will just be integrated into you. You will always dominate them."

Harry nodded.

"I suggest, Harry, you go along so Madam Pomfrey can check you over," said the Headmaster. "Hermione, did you find the book you wanted?"

"No, Professor," she answered, a little despondently.

"Well, perhaps Nicholas could help," he said smiling, "he's something of an expert on that particular area."

*

Harry trudged miserably to the Hospital Wing. Hermione had insisted that he go ahead while she quizzed Nicholas Flamel on whatever it was she wanted to look up.

As he turned a corner he was surprised to come face to face with Malfoy, Crabbe and Goyle.

Malfoy's smirk vanished as Harry raised his wand.

"Potter, what are you doing?" came a sharp voice from behind him.

Malfoy's smirk immediately re-appeared.

"Professor, Potter was out of bounds in the library book store earlier, as you can see from the state of him. You have to be a Prefect to be allowed in there, Potter. He was also clearly about to attack us, Professor."

"Potter, I-" began Snape, but stopped as Harry reached into a pocket and took out a badge. He pinned it on his chest and turned to Snape.

Snape stared at him with his usual contempt but said nothing.

"Malfoy," said Harry in his best drawling imitation of Snape, "I was not out of bounds. You, however used a stunning spell and a reductor curse in the book store. Thanks to your lamentable aim you caused damage to several shelves and books. You almost caused serious injury to someone and worse you ran off instead of staying to render assistance. I think we'll make that three detentions and you'll help clean up the damage in the book store. Anything to add, Professor?"

Snape grimaced and Malfoy had a look of fury on his face.

Professor McGonagall stepped next to Snape and waited for his comment.

"Move along," he said between clenched teeth.

*

Dumbledore smiled seeing Hermione blush at Flamel's question.

"Well," she said, "It's probably true that Harry doesn't fully understand what happened yet. I know he worked out that the crucible would have broken at Christmas. He doesn't know that it was probably his mother's messages that made the difference. I'll tell him when he asks, but you'd better hope he never asks what your intended final trigger was supposed to be."

"Will you ever tell him what was in Lily's letter to you?" asked Flamel smiling.

"No, and I'm not telling you either," and she smiled seeing both Flamel and Dumbledore chuckling at her.

"It was clever though," she continued. "I wish she'd revealed how she did it, but she anticipated you might do something like the crucible charm. It was her trigger that finally broke the charm, not yours."

"Really?" asked Flamel sounding surprised. "But what about what happened in the library?"

"I told you before that you had been irresponsible. Luckily, Lily had a far more sensible approach. It seems she thought her son would grow up like his father, in emotional terms, at least."

"When did you realise ours wouldn't work?"

"I didn't. My Mum did though, almost as soon as she read Harry's profile," said Hermione. "Waste of time that was," she added scornfully.

They waited for her to explain further, but she didn't.

"You both owe Perenelle an apology. Not for her recent actions, but for not listening to her originally. I'm also quite convinced she could have broken the charm by brute force, although Harry would have quite a bit more to contend with."

"Yes, Hermione," admitted Dumbledore sadly.

They were quiet for a few moments before Flamel asked, "So what do you want to know about Harry's wand?"

End of Part Two

Summary of Part Three: The Dragon

Just after Christmas during his Sixth Year, Hermione sets about researching the origins of Harry's Apprentice Piece. A Death Eater attack interrupts her telling of the story, but Harry intervenes and Ron gets a chance to earn his Prefect Badge back. Later, Voldemort attacks again during a Quidditch match. Although prepared for a Death Eater attack, the DA is helpless against Voldemort's new pet. Harry knows this is a trap but rushes to the aid of Dumbledore, standing alone in the middle of the Quidditch pitch facing The Dragon. Completed.

Summary of Part Four: The Sword of Light

After the battle, the dragon named Kales returns to Harry and introduces him to a new way of travelling undetected. This leads to a shocking discovery that not even the attentions of First Aid Club members and Snape can distract him from. Battling his own conscience, Harry needs a weapon to fight Voldemort's unseen agents from the shadows. After Harry is stabbed and poisoned, the DA battles to protect Dumbledore and Hermione. At the same time in another world Harry stands alone, fighting the creatures coming out of the darkness to attack his friends as they fight and fall. Completed.

Summary of Part Five: The Accord

Two unwelcome visitors arrive at the school and announce that a wizard will arrive shortly to challenge Flamel, the eldest member of a group of sorcerers that guard Hogwarts' greatest secret. Can Hermione cope with any more House disunity, Crookshanks' new look and Harry's determination to fight the charismatic challenger in place of the ailing Flamel? Completed.