Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Crucible by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Crucible

jardyn39

The Crucible

by Jardyn39

Part Two of "The Apprentice Piece"

Chapter 3: The Visitor

Professor McGonagall shut the door to her office and invited Harry to sit down. As usual, Harry wondered what he had done wrong. She walked behind her desk and opened a drawer.

Taking out a Gryffindor Prefect badge, she said, "Potter, I'd like to make you a Prefect."

She handed out the badge but Harry sat staring at the badge in her palm. It was Ron's badge, not his.

"No," he said, "I mean, no thank you, Professor."

She frowned at him and Harry felt compelled to explain.

"Ron is going to earn his badge back. He's only lost it temporarily."

"I think you'll find that won't be up to you, Potter."

"He was a good prefect, though, wasn't he? He's even still doing prefect duties so Hermione doesn't have to cope on her own."

"Whose idea was that?"

"Well, mine, actually. It started because I said Hermione shouldn't be on her own doing patrols and Ron filled in when I couldn't make it. Now Ron insists."

"How does he deduct points?"

"Er, Ron doesn't generally take points from anybody. I'm not sure he knows that he could," Harry said sighed. "Look, if I take that badge Ron will think he'll never get the chance to become a prefect again. I think he deserves a second chance."

McGonagall considered him carefully and then said, "I'd like you to take this badge on a temporary basis, then. You will return it when or if I find someone better."

Harry smiled and said, "Alright, but I won't wear it."

"Potter you can't take points or give detentions unless you are wearing the badge."

*

Harry found Ron waiting outside the Charms classroom. Fortunately he was alone.

"Ron, can I have a word?"

"Sure," Ron said putting away the parchment he was reading. "What is it?"

"This," said Harry and he quickly showed Ron the badge before returning it to his pocket. He didn't want anyone else to know.

"McGonagall said she wanted me to have this on a temporary basis until you get it back."

Ron raised his eyebrows.

"Well, alright she didn't actually say you but she did say someone better, so she obviously did mean you."

Ron snorted and said, "Just wear the badge, Harry."

*

On Monday morning, Harry and Hermione waited in the entrance hall for their visitor.

While they were waiting, a second year hurried out of the Great Hall and tripped. The contents of her bag sprawled over the floor. Harry helped to gather her things and as they just finished retrieving everything, he became aware that Hermione was busy greeting someone who had just entered through the main entrance doors.

She was a diminutive and very elderly lady, smiling and nodding to Hermione. Saying goodbye to the girl who was still flustered and in a hurry to get to lessons, Harry got up and walked over to them.

"May I introduce Harry Potter," said Hermione smiling, "he's also in Sixth Year."

The elderly witch just stared at Harry, apparently in shock. Tears formed in her eyes.

"Are you alright?" Harry asked in concern.

"The last time I saw you, you were just a baby," she said holding out her hand and gently stroking his cheek.

That was not what Harry expected her to say.

"He was screaming his head off," she said smiling at Hermione, "and little wonder. Those animals had you on a cold table in an echoing room discussing how best to dispose of you."

"You're talking about the Unspeakables, aren't you?" said Harry quietly. "Professor Dumbledore said someone argued for me, but he wouldn't give me your name when I asked."

A coldness came across her face at the mention of Dumbledore's name.

"Is it true that you haven't spoken to him since you found out he placed me with my Aunt and Uncle?" asked Harry.

"Yes," she replied looking angry.

"I wish you'd come sooner," said Harry with a small smile, "because then I could have told you that he was right to do what he did. I have hated every moment of the time I've lived with the Dursleys but I have accepted that he was still right. He kept me alive."

"W-Why don't we make a start," Hermione said hesitantly. "We were hoping to show you around the school."

"That would be nice," the visitor said smiling warmly at Hermione. "Please, call me Perenelle. May I see the Great Hall?"

They spent the morning showing Perenelle around the castle and the grounds and were quizzed on almost every subject by her and made to perform several charms. Fortunately Hermione knew everything they were asked and Harry even managed to contribute some answers. Harry wondered when she would get around to Defence Against the Dark Arts.

"Tell me Hermione, how proficient are you at magical defence? Would you mind showing me a couple of defensive spells?"

Harry realised that Perenelle was taking up a duelling stance and quickly withdrew his wand.

"Er, I'm not sure we are allowed to duel with visitors to the school," Hermione said nervously but Perenelle raised her wand and Hermione quickly held up her wand.

The exchange that followed occurred in an instant. Perenelle produced three types of stunning spell followed by a disarming hex. Hermione produced a shield to defend herself but made no attempt to disarm Perenelle and did not retaliate.

"Very good, dear," said Perenelle smiling, "but you shouldn't hold back on my account."

Perenelle held up her wand again but Harry could see Hermione hesitate again.

Harry shouted, "Expelliarmus!" and Perenelle's wand flew out of her hand.

"That is enough," he said seriously.

"Now that's much better," Perenelle said laughing and she pointed a bony finger at him. With a small flick Harry found himself picked up and thrown onto his back.

In mid-air, Harry pointed his wand and fired. He heard Hermione scream, "No, Harry!" before he hit the ground.

Realising with growing horror that he'd just hexed a very elderly school visitor and a particular guest of Dumbledore, he scrambled to his feet and rushed over.

They found Perenelle lying flat on her back giggling. She held up her arms and they both lifted her up gently from the grass.

"I'm so sorry," began Harry, as the sound of someone clearing their throat reached their ears.

They turned to see Albus Dumbledore looking at them with raised eyebrows.

"Albus," Perenelle panted.

"Welcome, Perenelle," he replied bowing slightly. "I came to invite you to lunch, but if you'd rather I left you to brawl?"

"Lunch would be lovely," she said laughing, "we can always continue after. Tell me, Albus, why didn't you instruct your students to attack me properly?"

"I'll make a note for next time," he said winking at Hermione and offering Perenelle his arm which she took. "Would you please join us for lunch?" he asked Harry and Hermione and they followed them up to the castle.

*

Lunch turned out to be a five course meal served in the room off the Great Hall. All the senior staff members were in attendance and Harry and Hermione sat one side of Perenelle with the Headmaster on the other side.

Everyone, with the exception of Snape, appeared to be delighted to have Perenelle visiting the school again.

"How is Nicholas?" asked Professor McGonagall smiling.

"Grumpy but well, thank you," Perenelle replied. "He can't stand the cold winter weather," she said in answer to Harry's quizzical look.

"Why don't you take a long holiday somewhere warm?" asked Madam Pomfrey.

"He prefers having lots to complain about," said Perenelle to polite laughter.

"Have you had time to have a good look around the school?" asked Professor Flitwick, "It's been ages since you were here."

"Well," interrupted Dumbledore, "I got the impression they spent most of the morning duelling with each other."

Hermione spluttered and went rather red but Harry had seen the smile on Professor McGonagall's face.

"No, Albus, we didn't spend all of the morning duelling," said Perenelle. "Actually, I thought we would do some inspections this afternoon."

"Oh, we love inspections," said Professor McGonagall sarcastically.

"You'd be most welcome anytime," beamed Professor Flitwick.

"Thank you, Filius," said Perenelle smiling, "but it's obvious from Harry and Hermione here that Charms is up to scratch at least."

"I'm going to regret this, I know," said Dumbledore, "but are there any areas that might need to be inspected, apart from my abysmal efforts, of course?

Perenelle gave Dumbledore a smile and said, "Well, I was disappointed not to see any magical creatures roaming the grounds."

"Most of them tend to prefer the forest these days, but I can ask Professor Hagrid if he has any interesting creatures available if you like."

"Hagrid," Perenelle said to herself, "Rubeus Hagrid?"

"The very same."

"I remember him. We had a conversation when he had just been taken on."

"I seem to recall that you were arguing," Dumbledore reminded her. "Hagrid thought you shouldn't have chased those creatures out of the forest. He thought you were making them too afraid to go back in case they met you again in there."

"Well, I trust his selection of creatures to study isn't restricted to small and cute?"

"Oh, Hagrid has been known to do small and cute," said Dumbledore.

"But he much prefers creatures that bite," chipped in Harry.

"-and sting," offered Hermione.

"-and burn," added Harry laughing, "but they are always interesting."

"Then I approve," laughed Perenelle as the bell indicating the end of the lunch period sounded.

"Oh, dear," said Dumbledore smiling, "it looks like we won't find out which classes are going to be inspected this afternoon."

"No time for inspections, Albus," Perenelle said smiling, "but I do want to have a good look around Gryffindor tower. I also want to show Harry and Hermione some hidden passages since they've been so kind and I'll also try to provoke them into another duel or two before the afternoon's done."

"Well, enjoy yourself," said Dumbledore, "but you'll probably find these two know more hidden passages that you do."

Hermione blushed as Perenelle raised her eyebrows, apparently impressed.

Harry and Hermione waited until Perenelle had bid goodbye to each of the teachers.

Dumbledore was the last to leave and said, "I'll see you in my office when you're ready," before turning and heading off.