Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Children of the Atom by Classic Cowboy
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Children of the Atom

Classic Cowboy

Chapter 11: The Fall of Hogwarts

The sun had set on Hogwarts, but no one was resting at ease. The students, professors and families from Beauxbatons and Durmstrang all left for their home schools, and all the students of Hogwarts stayed safely locked in their respective towers. The full X-Men team had been gathered and there was always someone standing guard on the now warded bathroom where the entrance of the Chamber of Secrets was hidden.

Harry walked toward the Gryffindor commons room in hopes of finding a place to relax. The porthole was left open for easy access if needed by the X-Men and quick escape if needs be. Harry made his way into the thought abandoned commons room, but smiled when he saw the familiar bushy brown hair of Hermione in the chair facing away form the entrance.

"Hey, Hermione," Harry said, smiling, "Would you like some company."

"No, I was just leaving," she said quickly, jumping to her feet, and moving quickly to the stairs to the dorm rooms.

Harry quickly stepped in front of her cutting off her escape, "What's the matter, Mione?" Harry asked, his voice full of concern.

"Nothing," She said flatly, moving around him, but only found her self pined against the wall.

"What's wrong, Hermione," Harry said, more sternly, "Talk to me …"

"I was … I was just getting out of your way, Harry," Hermione said, looking down so her bangs hid her eyes, but Harry could plainly see her lip trembling. "That's all …"

"Getting out of my way?" Harry asked, blinking in confusion, "What in Merlin's name are you talking about?"

"Watching you today …" Hermione said softly, "I … I think it was the first time I realized you're not my Harry anymore. You've grown up. You've got the X-Men, but I could see you really didn't need them as much as you needed Ron and me when we were younger. I know that sound selfish, but I just … I just know you don't need me any longer so I'll just get out of your way. I'm sorry …"

"Hermione …" Harry said, a small smile crossing his lips. He cupped her chin in his hands and made her look him in the eye. "Listen to me," he said, his voice sounding very serious, "I don't want you to get out of my way. Hermione if you think I don't need you anymore, you're wrong, dead wrong." He said barely above a whisper, unconsciously moving his face toward hers, "Hermione, don't you see? I need you … now more then ever …" he whispered his lips inches from hers.

"I hope I'm not interrupting anything …" Kitty said from the porthole, causing the two teens to jump apart.

"No, no not at all, Kitty," Harry stuttered, "We were just … we were just …"

"Whatever, Mage," Kitty said coldly, with a hint of sadness in her eyes, "Cyclops called for you. He's waiting for you at the entrance."

"Goodnight, Harry," Hermione said quickly running up to her bedroom while he was distracted.

"Ok, Goodnight, Hermione. Thanks Kitty," Harry said starting toward the Portkey.

"I don't want to be second best," Kitty stated causing Harry to stop dead in his tracks.

"What?" Harry asked, having a sinking feeling in his stomach.

"I've known it as soon as she came back that I'd lost you, Harry," Kitty said her voice breaking slightly, "Don't try to deny it, it's written all over your face every time she's around you." She then forced the brightest smile she could, realizing she had no way of winning, "Harry … it's ok … really …" Kitty sighed, "I don't want it I just … just you to be happy …" She then turned her back, "But if she so much as hurts you once … so help me …"

"Thank you, Kitty, I'm sorry," Harry said, guiltily, "And Kitty … you should know … I know of one other who loves you a lot …" he then walked toward the porthole, "I'm sorry …" he said once more before exiting.

Kitty waited till she was sure he was gone before collapsing on a couch letting her tears go in sobs.

"Kitten?" Kurt's voice said from the doorway, "I heard … I'm sorry …" he said walking toward her.

"Just leave me alone," she choked out.

"I cannot do that, my kitten," Kurt said sitting down beside her, and began to stroke her back, "what kind of friend would I be if I left you like this?"

Kitty responded by quickly sitting up, gripping Kurt in a massive hug, and began to sob into his chest. "It's going to be alright, Kitten," Kurt said wrapping his arms and tail around her, "The one for you will find you. Or maybe he already has and just waiting for you to find him …"

--

"You called Cyclops?" Harry asked walking up to where he was leaning against the wall beside the entrance to girl's lavatory and the softly snoring Wolverine.

"Yes, Mage," Cyclops said in his official voice, "Are you sure there is no other way to get into the Chamber other then someone speaking … that snake language?"

"Right, as far as I know that is the only way," Harry nodded, "I still don't understand what he'd want with it, the only thing I know that was in the chamber was the Basilisk and I killed it in second year …"

"What ever it is, Mage," Cyclops said looking at the door, "We can't let him have it."

"Harry," Neville said running up to the three X-Men, "Prof. Dumbledore called for you, told me to tell you to come to his office and bring Wolverine."

Harry nodded; "Think you can handle things on your own for a few minutes, Dad?" Harry smirked,

"I'll manage, hurry back," Cyclops then turned to Neville, "Mr. Longbottom, you should head back to your tower where it's safe."

A few minutes after they left Professor Dumbledore, Professor McGonagall along with Ginny approached Cyclops. "Good evening Mr. Summers," Dumbledore said with a friendly smile.

"Good evening professors, is anything wrong?" Cyclops asked, "I thought Mage and Wolverine were to meet with you?"

"Yes, yes, they are waiting on me," Dumbledore nodded.

"You see," McGonagall started, "Ginny has opened the Chamber once before, we have placed a spell on her so that she will remember how to open it, we are going to inspect the Chamber once again. Perhaps we shall find a clue as to what this Apocalypse is after."

"Need me to come with you, Professors?" Cyclops offered.

"No need, Mr. Summers," Dumbledore said, with a reassuring smile, "You will be needed to make sure no one follows us."

"Ok, good luck," Cyclops said, as the three walked into the bathroom.

--

"You think something's up, Wolverine?" Harry asked as he, Wolverine, Professor Dumbledore, and Professor Xavier made their way to the lavatory.

"I don't know yet, kid," Wolverine said, though it was obvious he did by his unsheathed claws, "Just keep your guard up."

"Prof. Dumbledore?" Cyclops questioned as the group arrived, "Oh hell tell me that wasn't …"

Wolverine sniffed the air, then growled, "Shit, Mystique, a girl, and someone who didn't even smell human. Not good."

"Cyclops, Mage, Wolverine, go after them. Albus, lets start evacuating the school I've a terrible feeling on this …"

"Right Charles," Dumbledore nodded, "Harry, X-Men, do what you must but do not risk your own lives if needn't." The three X-Men nodded, and ran into the lavatory.

--

"I don't like it here …" Wolverine snarled as the three walked into the snake-themed temple-like Chamber of Secrets.

"If I had my way," Harry started spotting the skeletal remains of the Basilisk, "I'd never come back here …"

"Hopefully this will be the last time, Mage," Cyclops added, "Now stay on your toes."

"Welcome to my home, X-Men," Apocalypse said stepping out from the large statue in the center.

"This isn't your home," Harry shot, "This was Slytherin's hidden chamber, and I don't think you're Slytherin."

"You know so little, boy," Apocalypse laughed, "Silence yourself and allow me to tell you a tale. Many, many years ago, long before any of you were born, I ruled over the Magical and Muggle world from my great floating fortress. But then four wizards rose against me. They couldn't destroy me, but they imprisoned me in some magical fashion and wiped my memory from mankind. They hid away my fortress, my power source, foolishly thinking I would never escape their imprisonment, and even if I did that I would never rediscover my home. They were sadly mistaken."

"Yeah?" Harry narrowed his eyes, but getting a sinking feeling in his stomach, "Where is this floating fortress?"

"Here is a hint, young mutant," Apocalypse smiled, "They hid it by building a school around it …"

"Oh Merlin …" Harry started to back step, as Apocalypse laughed evilly and pressed a button on his wrist causing the eyes and mouths of the serpent statues that lined the walls, "Behold! The Age of Apocalypse has returned at last!"

The entire chamber began to tremble, "Run!" Cyclops ordered and the three X-Men made a dash toward the exit.

--

"Scott?" Jean asked as Cyclops, Harry, and Wolverine ran up to her. She was helping the Professors point the students to the proper exits out for trembling castle, "What's happening?"

"I don't know, Jean," Cyclops said, now showing one of his few signs of uncertainty, "But we need to get these kids as far away from here as possible.

"Harry!" Hermione and Ron cried running up to him, "What's happening?" She asked then yelped as Harry jerked her away from falling debris.

"Harry, have you seen Ginny?" Ron asked nervously, "We've looked all over for her."

"Oh no … we completely forgot …" Harry gasped, his eyes growing wide. He then turned to Ron and Hermione, "Get out of here, I'll get Ginny and be right behind you." He said turning to head back deeper into the castle.

"Harry, no!" Hermione cried, grabbing his arm, "It's far too dangerous, please you can't go back in there!"

"I can't leave her in there, Hermione," Harry pleaded, "Go on and wait for me outside, I won't be but a tic."

"Harry no, please, don't …" Hermione whimpered, tightening her grip on his arms, "You promised you wouldn't throw your life on the line anymore … you promised …"

"I promise I'll be careful, and I promise I'll come back to you," Harry stated, stroking her cheek, "Now please, get out of here, I'll be right behind you."

"Harry …" Hermione started uncertainly, "Harry … I … I love you … please come back to me safe… "

"An army of Basilisks couldn't stop me, Mione," Harry said with a goofy grin and a dreamy look in his eyes, that made Hermione chuckle in even this dangerous situation; before he ran back into the depths of the shaking castle.

"Harry … please be careful …" Hermione said taking one last look back into the castle before following the others out.

--

Hermione watched in the crowd of students and professors from the Quidditch pitch, all eyes were watching sadly as Hogwarts Castle, which stood for over 1000 years violently trembled. "Harry … please … please hurry …" Hermione prayed, ignoring Jean, who was squeezing her shoulder comfortingly.

Then it began, first Hufflepuff Tower gave way, and collapsed to the side taking most of Hogwarts' east wall down. Then Ravenclaw Tower buckled and fell away from the castle, most of which falling over the cliff into the ocean.

"Oh Albus …" Prof. McGonagall whimpered, tears streaking her aged cheeks.

"This … this can't be happening …" Draco choked out, no longer caring about his image.

"It tis," Hagrid responded, placing a hand on the teen's shoulder, "I'm 'fraid it tis …"

Then Slytherin Tower began to break apart and tumbled into the main castle causing it to explode violently. Flames, smoke, and dust were flying everywhere. Finally Gryffindor Tower's foundation gave way, and it imploded straight down in a cloud of dust and smoke, leaving only the central castle remaining burning and trembling.

Finally the central castle and its many towers imploded in a gigantic cloud of dust and smoke. At the same moment Professor Dumbledore dropped to his knees in a daze. "It's … it's over …"

Suddenly something rose from the cloud of dust and smoke. A floating castle, adorned with gigantic snake-like gargoyles. It rose several hundred feet in the air and floated over the broken and burning remains of Hogwarts Castle.

"Hermione … I'm sure Harry's alright …" Ron said gulping slightly at the intimidating fortress.

"I know he is," Hermione said, sadness in her voice, but absolute faith in Harry along with it, "I know Harry would never hurt me like that …"

--

Harry ran through the now lit Chamber of Secrets, "GINNY!" He cried, "Ginny! Answer me!"

"You came all this way for the girl?" Apocalypse said in surprise, "You truly are foolish, X-Man."

"I'm not leaving without her," Harry growled taking a fighting stance.

"You would fight me for a friend," Apocalypse asked with a smirk, "knowing fighting me alone is nothing but suicide? Very well X-Man, you will see your friend."

Before Harry, had a chance to react several tendrils shot from the walls and wrapped around Harry's arms and legs, then drug him into the shadows.

"I'm sorry, Hermione …" Harry whispered as he was drug away.

To Be Continued …

C. Cowboy: just to help out on the geography of the late Hogwarts Castle, the four towers which were named after the founders are the four tallest towers that stand on the corners of the castle. And the castle itself stands on a cliff overlooking the ocean.

And if you're wondering on how Apocalypse escaped his imprisonment, that will be discussed in detail in the prequel HPX: Origin, so don't worry about the blanks, they will be filled in. only two more chapters to go, and the final battle is about to begin, ladies and gentle men … LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE!!!!

Special thank you to Xavien for beta reading this for me.

Next Chapter: Beginning's End