Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Children of the Atom by Classic Cowboy
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Children of the Atom

Classic Cowboy

Chapter 9: More Important Things

"Who is that, Daddy? He looks familiar." Hermione asked, tilting her head to the side.

"It's amazing what a little reeducation can do, huh, Mage?" Sinister laughed as Harry stared, at a loss for words.

"What … what have you done to her?" Harry asked gaping at the confused Hermione.

"She's been such a trooper during our interrogations," Sinister said giving Hermione a small hug, "I decided to claim her as my daughter, I've cleansed her mind of all the trash her last family and you have given her, and now she only remembers what she has learned at Hogwarts, and now I will begin training her to be my heir. Once we get the info we need from you, Mage, we will begin her DNA therapy," he then kissed the top of her head; "my darling daughter will be just like me."

"You …" Harry growled his anger skyrocketing, "You bastard!"

"Enough about my family," Sinister smiled, "Tell me about the Chamber of Secrets."

"How about …" Harry growled, his emerald eyes boiling with anger, "you burning in hell." Sinister started to laugh, but suddenly found him telekinetically being thrown through a stonewall.

"Blast," Sinister groaned standing up, "A telekinetic brat, I hate telekinetic brats."

Harry then used his telekinetic powers to unshackle his wrists and ankles, "Stay away from him!" Hermione snapped standing between Harry and Sinister.

"Hermione … it's me, don't you remember?" Harry pleaded, "Hermione, it's me, Harry. Please remember …"

"H-Harry …" Hermione whispered her brow crinkling trying to recall.

"Yes, Harry, remember?" Harry said stepping closer to Hermione.

"Stay back!" She barked taking several steps back.

"I can't do that, Hermione," Harry said giving a small smile, "Hermione try to remember. Remember when we first met, on the Hogwarts Express, you were looking for a Neville's toad?"

"T-Trevor …" she whispered, tears starting to form in the corners of her eyes.

"That's right," Harry nodded, the smile growing, "Remember how you always ate your food too quickly so you can run off to the library? Or how we always took walks, just you and me, around the lake when something was bothering one of us?"

"H-Harry?" She asked looking up at him in confusion.

"NO!" Sinister cried, running toward them, "She's my specimen!"

Harry started to pull out his wand but Sinister tackled him, knocking the wand out of his hand, right at Hermione's feet. "If you won't tell me what I want to know, you are of no use to me." Sinister growled, wrapping his clawed hand around Harry's neck, "So that means you die!"

"You got a lucky shot before, kid," Sinister snarled, squeezing Harry's neck, cutting off his airflow, "You will not get lucky again …"

"Lucky?" Hermione whispered, Lucky …"

(Flashback)

Well, I was lucky once, wasn't I?" Harry said pointing at his scar, "maybe I'll get lucky again."

Hermione's lip trembled and she suddenly dashed at Harry and threw her arms around him.

"Hermione?"

"Harry … you're a great wizard, you know."

"I'm not as good as you," Harry said, very embarrassed, as she let go of him.

"Me!" said Hermione, "Books! And cleverness! There are more important things … friendship and bravery and …Oh Harry, be careful!"

(End flashback)

"More important … important things …" Hermione said in a daze, her eyes traveling down to the wand at her feet, "friendship … bravery …" she slowly squatted down and picked up the wand, "… love … Harry?" Her eyes suddenly snapped wide and shot up to Sinister strangling Harry, "HARRY!!"

She didn't know what she was doing; her thoughts were only on Sinister hurting Harry, Sinister killing Harry, and her body was on autopilot. She pointed the wand at the demonic scientist and, with all the anger and pain in her body and soul, she screamed "AVADA KEDAVRA!"

The curse connected with Sinister's side, and he immediately fell limp on top of Harry. He quickly and roughly shoved the larger body off him and looked wide-eyed at Hermione, "Her-Hermione?"

"I … oh god …" She whimpered, "He was going to kill you … I … I know he was … I couldn't … oh god …"

"You remember me?" Harry asked still staring in shock at her.

"Yes Harry, I remember, honestly what good does it do? I'm going to be sent to Azkaban! Honest-" she complained, as tears flooded down her cheeks, but was cut short as Harry collided with her in a crushing hug.

"They'll have to kill me first!" Harry proclaimed, holding her tight, stroking the back of her head.

Suddenly the doorway in the back of the lab was forced open by a ruby beam, and Cyclops, Phoenix, Shadowcat, Beast and Wolverine ran in, followed by Prof. X himself.

"Oh hell, we missed the party," Wolverine complained, but Harry didn't give him any attention.

"Don't worry, Harry," Xavier said rolling up to the two, "No one is going to that wizard's prison, everyone in the M.O.M. office and general area just experience a strange five minute black out. Funny coincidence …"

"Good," Harry whispered, "you hear that, Hermione? You're safe now, I'll never let anything or anyone harm you again, I swear. Hermione?" he asked, noticing she had fallen asleep in his arms.

Harry then reached down and scooped Hermione up to cradle in his arms, "Let's go home" Harry whispered.

"Here, I'll take-" Beast started, reaching for her, but the glare and faint growl from Harry silenced him.

"Wolverine deal with Sinister's body," Xavier ordered, "everyone else lets head back to the jet."

They all walked out following Harry carrying Hermione, all except Shadowcat; who was staring after Harry with a heartbroken look on her face.

--

Harry sat outside the private bedroom that was across the hall accompanied by Jean, Scott, and Beast. Jean was rubbing Harry's back comfortingly, while Harry, Scott and Beast watched the door like hawks. Finally the door slid open, "She's going to be ok," Xavier said with a reassuring smile, as he rolled out, "It appears the brainwashing was still fresh, and was easily repaired, it's going to take a while for her to recover from her psychological trauma from everything though, but I see a full recovery."

Everyone except Harry sat back in relief, "Yes, Mage," Xavier chuckled, "You can see her now. She's waiting for you."

Harry without a word, walked quickly into the room, closing the door silently behind him.

"Harry …" Kitty sighed from around the corner, turning her back and walking toward her room.

--

"Hey," Harry said shyly walking up to her bedside.

"Hey," Hermione responded, not that much better.

Hermione was lying with a stack of pillows holding her up, and she was wearing a set of 'X' decorated pajamas. "I … um … like the new look." Hermione said blushing, "Black leather suits you, but you're just not Harry without your glasses. Now what am I supposed to fix for you."

Harry looked down at himself, just now realizing he was still in his uniform. "Oh, I haven't changed, I probably smell funny," Harry stuttered, starting to go, but stopped as Hermione gripped his arm.

"No, please, don't go …" Hermione pleaded, "I've spent the last few months alone, and I don't ever want to be alone again."

"Ok …" Harry said, with a shy smile.

"Harry, what happened while I was gone?" Hermione asked smiling interestedly, "What's happened? Is Ron ok? Voldemort hasn't done anything to you or anyone at Hogwarts has he? And what about Sirius? I know they were discussing dropping his charges a few months ago, did that go through? I've missed him, is he ok?"

Harry suddenly went deathly pale. "Harry, what's wrong? Has something happened?"

"Now's not the time, Hermione," Harry said softly, though pain was evident in his voice, "You've been through a lot, rest and recover first then we'll…"

"No, Harry," Hermione said firmly, "Tell me right now, that way I can recover from it all at once instead of being knocked back once I get better."

"Sirius was … killed, Hermione," Harry whispered and looked away from her shocked expression, "I'm sorry …"

"Harry, no, no, I'm sorry," Hermione said, tears forming again, pulling him to a seated position beside her, "I'm so sorry, Voldemort?"

"No, someone else," Harry said fighting the tears as well, "Don't worry about it, anyway Voldemort did hit Hogwarts, but I brought the X-Men and we ran him off without losing a single student. And Hermione …"

Yes, Harry …" She asked, afraid of what else he could tell her. She then nodded, thinking she was ready.

"Hermione … I know," Harry whispered looking away, hurt now echoing in his voice.

"K-Know what?" she asked, finding her mouth dry.

"I know about you and Ron …" Harry said barely above a whisper.

"Oh …" was all she could say as she stared down at her lap in shame.

"It's ok," Harry said, forcing a smile, "As long as you're happy with him, Hermione, I'll be happy for you two."

"I'm sorry," She said, trying not to cry.

"I'll leave you to rest then," Harry said standing, "Good night, Hermione,"

"No," Hermione said grabbing his arm again, "please … just stay with me … I'm … I'm scared … I don't want to be taken again …"

Harry looked back and any hurt or bitterness about her and Ron going behind his back melted away. Harry sat down on the side of the bed and wrapped his arms around her tightly, "I'll never let anyone take you again, I promise …" as she cuddled into him the words Ron told him began to return to his mind, and he began to question the fact that maybe Ron Weasley was actually right about something for once in his life.

--

Light shined through the bedroom window, bringing Harry out of his sleep. He yawned and looked down at the bush of brown hair resting on his chest, and small fragile hands gripping his uniform. He blushed wildly, realizing he feel asleep and spent the entire night with her. "Hermione, it's almost breakfast time, time to wake up," Harry whispered giving her a slight shake.

She stirred slightly, rose up and sloppily gave Harry a peck kiss on the cheek, before snuggling back into his chest, letting him stare in awe, completely brain fried.

After a few moments Harry shook his head clear, and was about to try again, when the door opened.

"Good morning, Mage," Beast said, smiling bringing in a tray with two glasses of orange juice and two plates of breakfast, "did you two sleep satisfactory?" he asked sitting the tray down on the bed table

"UNCLE HANK!" Hermione squealed jumping up, knocking Harry clear out of the bed. "Uncle Hank!" She repeated jumping into Beast's arms, laughing as he swung her around in the air.

"I've missed you too, my little Einstein!" Beast exclaimed pulling her into a tight hug, "me and your parents were so worried!"

"Uncle … Hank?" Harry asked cocking an eyebrow.

"Oh, I'm sorry, Mage," Beast said bringing a paw to his cat-like face, "did I forget to mention that I am Hermione's uncle?"

"Mage?" Hermione asked eyeing Harry carefully, before quickly pulling the dog tag from around his neck, "Mage? Harry you're really an X-Man now?"

"Yes, my dear," Beast answered for her, "Hence the uniform he bares. He has been a member of the X-Men for some time now."

"Isn't that a little dangerous, Harry?" She asked growing slightly pale, "you could be hurt … do be careful …"

"Don't worry, Hermione," Beast said with a smile, "Mage here has already learned the hard way, with a scar for a reminder."

"WHAT?" Hermione gasped, all color fading this time.

"BEAST!" Harry shot, glaring at the older X-Man.

"Oops, I'm sorry," Beast said, back stepping toward the door, "I'll … just … leave you two alone then …"

"Harry …" Hermione whispered, "you just got a scratch on your arm or leg, right?"

"Umm …" Harry gulped, staring into her cinnamon eyes like a deer in headlights. "You have to promise not to get upset …"

"I will make no such promise, Harry," Hermione said, narrowing her eyes, "honestly!"

Harry swallowed hard, and unzipped the top of his uniform all the way, and raised his undershirt to show a large brown scar covering much his stomach, "I'm sorry …"

Hermione's eyed it fearfully and slowly brought her fingers to touch it, causing him to jerk slightly, "oh, that tickled!"

"Oh Harry …" Hermione whimpered, as her lip trembled slightly, "you … you could have been killed … oh Harry …" a moment later, she dove at him and threw her arms around him, "Don't ever do anything stupid enough to get hurt again!"

"Promise me, Harry!" came Hermione's muffled command from his chest, "Promise me you'll be careful."

"I promise, Mione," Harry said rubbing her back, "I promise…"

Harry then stood up and helped her to her feet, "Come now, Hermione," He said wiping a tear from her cheek with his thumb, "our breakfast is getting cold."

"Ok …" She said softly sitting on the edge of her bed, "But … I'm not all that hungry."

"You need to eat," Harry said, and a combination of concerned and commanding voice, "And as soon as we're finished we'll go see Ron. I know he was as worried as I was,"

"Right … Ron …" Hermione sighed, picking up a piece of sausage from her plate.

--

Meanwhile, at the Ministry of Magic …

"So you have made some progress, Arthur?" Fudge asked with a smile.

"Yes, Minister Fudge," Arthur said, showing him some design prints, "these are humanoid androids that use technology from the muggles as well as magical artifacts." He pointed out as Fudge looked over the prints.

"Nice, nice indeed," Fudge nodded, "what do you call these things?"

"We have settled on the name …" Arthur started, looking down nervously, "We've decided to call them Sentinels."

"Sentinels?" Fudge mused, "I like the name. It demands respect and intimidation. Very good."

"Minister, I do not really think this is such a good idea …" Arthur said nervously, "It's too risky, we already made the mistake with the Wolverine, and if we lose control with these machines … one human with claws is one thing, a five story robot is another matter entirely."

"Nonsense, Arthur," Fudge smiled, "We've learned from our mistakes, begin mass production as soon as the prototype is finished."

"If you say so," Arthur said his color fading slightly, "The prototype will be finished and fully tested in three to five months then we'll begin mass production. I'll keep you informed, good day sir."

"Good day, Arthur, and keep this between us, ok?" Fudge said with a bright smile, "The less people that know of this project the less likely it will headline the Daily Prophet before we are ready."

"Y-Yes sir, good day." Arthur nodded, as he exited the room.

"Such fascinating toys," Fudge smiled evilly, "They will make me a magnificent army, but with luck I will not need them." He then stood and looked out over London. "Soon, and very soon. All those pathetic humans, Muggle, Magical, and Mutant, all of them will bow to me as their eternal lord and master."

To Be Continued …

C. Cowboy: Short I know, but I really wanted to stop at that part, and I wanted to give a little more so I won't be hunted down and killed for the last chapter. I figured after all the heck I've put Harry and Hermione through, it's time for just a little fluff. Don't you agree? And for the record, Kitty and Kurt are not together YET and she's still officially Harry's girlfriend, and Hermione is still on the record as Ron's. That little fact will come into play in a big way next chapter. Next chapter should be a bit longer I hope, and should be up by probably Saturday or Sunday. Lastly yes Logan is James, but Jean is not Lily so it won't become a Logan/Jean shipping story. (Go ahead and cheer, Nappa, I know you want to) Jean is happily married to Scott. As for Logan being Harry's birthfather, that will play a little later, so be patient.

I have planed for officially three other stories in this 'HPX' series

Two sequels:

Harry Potter and the Secrets of Weapon X

&

Harry Potter and the Flames of the Phoenix

And also a L/J prequel

HPX: Origin (Working title)

All of which to come soon,

That's it for now. Don't forget to review! ^^