Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Children of the Atom by Classic Cowboy
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Children of the Atom

Classic Cowboy

Chapter 6: Calm Before the Storm

Harry back flipped over the fast moving robotic arm that swung from the wall of the X-Men's training chamber deep below the mansion called the Danger Room. He then ducked the same arm as he landed, then reached out with his telekinesis to jerk the arm out of the wall.

"It dangerous to be in here alone, Mon Ami," a voice came from behind the teenager.

"Morning, Gambit," Harry grunted as he kicked an attacking android.

"Mind if Gambit joins you?" the Cajun asked, cockily walking toward him, his staff resting on his shoulder. "Puter, end program."

What are you doing, Gambit?" Harry asked relaxing, and adjusting the jacket of his X-Men uniform.

"Wolverine tinks Mage is a fast learner," Gambit said as he looked toward the top of the chamber, "Puter, access two combatant, training sim 11231." A moment later, the high-tech surroundings of the Danger Room was replaced by what looked like a Japanese martial arts dojo, "Gambit want to know how fast Mage learns the staff."

The Cajun then grabbed a staff from the wall of the dojo and tossed it to Harry. Harry looked at the staff, before swinging it around him for a moment, "Logan's taught me a thing or two with this." He said with a smirk.

"Den let's go, An Guard," Gambit said just before diving at the newest X-Man. Harry dodged the attack, but not easily then parried the Cajun mutant's next attack. "What's da matta, Mage," Gambit said as he blocked one of Harry's attacks, "Gambit's seen you fight Wolverine, Gambit know you're betta then tis."

It's nothing," Harry said as he took another swing at the Cajun, which he easily dodged.

"It you're family, no?" Gambit asked kicking Harry in the chest just hard enough to knock him down.

"Partly, yes," Harry said leg-sweeping Gambit before leaping to his feet.

"Den tell Gambit what else on you mind," Gambit offered with a smile and a non-connecting roundhouse kick, "woman trouble?" He asked with a smirk, "Gambit notice Mage and Shadowcat makin' eyes at each uder."

Harry blushed deep before making a over head swing at his opponent, "It tis that!" Gambit exclaimed as he blocked the attack.

"You don't know what you're bloody talking about, Cajun," Harry growled, kicking Gambit in the stomach.

"Gambit tinks Mage spends to much time with Wolverine," Gambit smirked pulling him self up, "Come on, out with it, can trust Gambit. Gambit no talk."

"Ok, well …" Harry said stopping the fight and leaning against a pole, "It's complicated."

"I really like Kitty, she's friendly, sweet, and knows how to make me smile even though we've only known each other for a few months," Harry explained looking at the ceiling, "But then I think about Hermione, she's got a very similar personality, just a small … err … ok not so small obsession with books and libraries. Up until she found out about me being a mutant even when … she was secretly going out with Ron last summer, Hermione was always there, no matter what, I could always depend on her being at my side. Even when I didn't want her to be."

"You do have troubles," Gambit sighed, "Gambit tinks that you have much to tink about."

"Oh golly," Harry mock-gasped, "I never thought of that!" but ducked quickly as a staff struck the pole he was leaning on exactly where his head was resting.

"Break's over, Mon Ami," Gambit smirked, "Tis will make ya feel betta."

--

Hermione sat in the corner of her cell; sleep was overtaking her as she hugged herself in the chilly castle. But then gasped as someone kicked out of the corner of the cell. She was so dazed she didn't even realize anyone had entered, "Get up, Specimen!" The large man barked, smiling as Hermione yelped from him picking her up by her long hair.

"Come on," He growled dragging her by her hair, seemingly trying to make her fall down. She stumbled through the hall into a large laboratory; the large man picked her up and forcefully placed her on an examination table and shackled her ankles and wrists.

Hermione looked him over for a moment, he stood around six foot three inches, and had a strong build under his tight dark blue and red armor, his face was pale white with glowing red eyes and red marks on his forehead and chin and almost solid black flattop hair style. "Well my little specimen," he said smiling to show his teeth were all pointed like fangs, "are you going to answer my questions today?"

Hermione answered by spitting in his face, "You will be a tough animal to tame," he sighed, wiping the spit from his face.

"Answer the question, like a good little thing," he said, "what do you know of the Chamber of Secrets?"

"Even if I knew anything," Hermione growled, "I would never tell a despicable, sinister-"

"You will refer to me as MISTER Sinister," the man growled, slapping her in the face, "Now answer the question."

"Harry will come," Hermione shot, staring straight into his blood red eyes, "and he has destroyed monsters ten times worse than you."

"We'll see about that, little specimen," Mr. Sinister smirked, "But first, seeing as you won't help me with the info my master requires, I will simply continue trying to discover what makes a witch tick."

--

"Chew your food," Jean ordered from across the table.

"Sorry," Harry apologized swallowing the bite of pancake, "Your pancakes are just so good, I can't help it," Harry said flashing his best smile at the red head.

Scott patted his back, and whispered a 'good boy' at Harry's side.

"I heard that, Summers," Jean said narrowing her eyes at her husband, making him squirm.

Scott knew he was about to be in for it, but was saved when Logan belched loudly. "Logan, for goodness sake, not at the breakfast table," Jean scolded turning her attention to the Canadian, "And … what are you drinking? Is that beer? Logan you know this is a school and you are to be setting an example to the students, what have you got to say for yourself?"

Logan answered with an even louder burp.

"Well, thank you for breakfast, Jean, I have to go to my afternoon classes now," Harry said standing up from the table.

"Afternoon classes?" Scott asked, before nodding in realization, "Oh right, time zones."

"Have a good day at school, Harry," Jean called behind him as he left.

"Good morning," Prof. Xavier said rolling into the dinning room.

"Good morning, Professor," Jean greeted, "Any word from Warren?"

"Not a thing," Xavier sighed, "I'm beginning to fear the worse. Not even Cerebro's been able to find him."

"I hope he's ok …" Jean sighed looking down at the table as the dinning room fell silent.

--

Harry ran into the Great Hall, he was running very late for the assembly. On habit, Harry went toward the place where Ron and Hermione, but the fearful look she gave him and the hateful gaze from Ron stopped him in his tracks.

"Looks like you're friends have betrayed you, Potter," Draco Malfoy's cold voice said from beside him, bringing Harry out of the shock induced trance he didn't even know he was in.

"At least I had friends, Malfoy," Harry growled, "Who can stand to be around a snake like you?"

"No one," Draco smirked, "Same as you, Mutant." He shot making Harry step back slightly, "Face it Potter, we are in the same ship. Only difference is my personality can change, and I can make friends, but you … you'll always be a mutant, you'll always be a freak."

"Malfoy …" Harry growled, ready to punch him.

"Go ahead, Potter," Draco said sticking his chin toward him, "Hit me. I'll just say you used your power on me, and you'll be out of Hogwarts tonight."

"Sod off, Mr. Malfoy," Snape said, neither boy realizing he was there.

Draco Gaped at Snape's sharp tone toward him, but quickly ran to his table before losing points.

"You too, Mr. Potter," Snape said in the same hateful tone, but giving a semi-friendly smirk and a wink, "Before you lose house points."

"Y-Yes Prof. Snape," Harry nodded nervously before running off to an empty seat at the Gryffindor table, seeing plainly that everyone but Neville slid away from him.

"Hey, Harry," Neville said with a smile, "How are you today?"

"Fine, thanks," Harry sighed, "Why are you not freaked out with me being a … ya know …"

"So you're a mutant, big deal," Neville said stuffing his face with mash potatoes, "I have a couple of cousins who are gifted too." The boy then smiled nearly evilly at Harry, "I wish I could see Voldemort's face when or if he shows his face again and you use you're gifts on him."

"I hope that never happens, Neville," Harry sighed, not really hungry but beginning his meal as well.

"May I have your attention, students," Dumbledore began from the Professors' table, "Christmas Holiday is just around the corner, and this year we will be having a Christmas Dance for fifth through seventh years. It will be a semiformal event, taking place next Friday. All students planning to attend may go to Hogsmeade to prepare. On another note, any student with information on the location of Ms. Norris will be reworded with twenty-five house points. She has been missing since the first week of this term and Mr. Finch is quite distraught. That is all, enjoy you're meal." He closed smirking as Lavender and Pavati comprehended the thought of a dance in two weeks and proceeded to run out of the hall screaming about not having enough time to get ready.

"One moment, Neville, be right back," Harry said leaving his seat and walking toward Prof. Dumbledore.

"Excuse me, Professor Dumbledore?" Harry asked drawing the headmaster's attention.

"Yes, Harry," Dumbledore said with a welcome smile, "may I help you?"

"Professor, I have a …err … friend from my other school, may I invite her to the dance as my uh date?" Harry asked nervously.

"Normal circumstances, muggles would not be aloud," Dumbledore mused, "But I know a little about your other school and I understand that some of the things at our school would be in the norm so I see no problems. I look forward to meeting your other friends."

"Thanks Professor," Harry said running out of the hall.

--

"Kurt, Have you seen Kitty?" Harry asked walking up into the fencing room of the mansion.

"Yes, I think she is in the Danger Room training with Phoenix," Kurt responded taking a swing with his practice sword at Jubilee.

"Watch it, Elf," Jubilee cried, barely ducking the slash, "You about took my head off!"

"Ok thanks Kurt," Harry said, turning around to leave, "talk to you later, mate."

"Yeah … talk to you later," Kurt whispered, almost growling.

"You ok, Fuzzy?" Jubilee asked, lowering her guard.

"I'm fine," Kurt responded quickly, "Let us continue."

--

Kitty stumbled toward Jean and dropped to her hands and knees gasping.

"Not bad, Shadowcat," Jean nodded, "made it through the obstacle course in one minute fifteen seconds, and only used your power three times. Very good."

"Yeah … thanks," she panted, looking up at the redhead.

"Water?" Harry asked from Kitty's side causing her to jump.

"Harry!" Kitty gasped, "How long have you been there??"

"Couple of seconds," Harry smirked, "sorry I frightened you."

"It's ok," Kitty smiled, taking the bottle of water, "is something wrong? You look flushed?" she commented on his nervous blush.

"Oh … it's uh …" Harry stammered before looking up at Phoenix, "um Jean can I talk to Kitty alone for a tic?"

"Sure," Jean smiled, "I'll be just outside if you two need anything," she said walking out of the shutdown danger room.

Harry waited for the door to close before turning back to Kitty, "Is anything wrong, Harry?" Kitty asked pushing a strand of hair behind her ear.

"No it's uh …" Harry started but the blush covered his face again, "Um you see, my other school is having a dance next Friday. I was wondering if you'd be my date?"

Kitty then turned her back on him, mostly to hide her grin, and stayed silent to make him sweat. "It's a date," she said spinning around and kissing him on the cheek, "Let me know what I'm supposed to wear and we're good to go!"

--

Meanwhile at the Ministry of Magic, Minister Cornelius Fudge sat at his desk looking over his papers, when a knock came on his door. "You called for me, Minister Fudge?" Arthur Weasley asked walking into the office.

"Yes, of course, Arthur," Fudge said with a almost ignorant looking smile, "I see that evidence is become clearer and clearer, and Mr. Potter could have been truthful in his claims that the Dark Lord has returned from the dead."

"Well, pardon my strong words, Minister," Arthur sighed, "But that is what we've all been bloody trying to say."

"Yes, yes," Fudge nodded, "That is why I called you here today."

"Why have you called me, Minister?" Arthur asked respectively.

"I understand you were one of the representatives of M.O.M. in a joint black project with the British and Canadian Muggle Government from around fifteen years ago," Fudge asked smiling at Arthur, "Am I correct?"

"Y-Yes," Arthur stuttered growing nervous, "Why?"

"Perhaps it's time to reactivate the Weapon X project," Fudge nodded, "After all, its' purpose was to control You Know Who and also the rising Mutant phenomena. And it seems both have returned and growing out of control. Control must be reestablished. I've already sent owls to the surviving members of the Weapon X heads and I would like for you to once again take the head of the M.O.M. side of the project. Can I count on you, Arthur?"

"Y-Y-Yes, sir," Arthur gulped, "you can count on me…"

"Very good," Fudge smiled brightly, "that is all, please do keep me informed on the progress."

Arthur nodded nervously, and exited the office. Fudge then stood up and walked toward the door locking it, "Ok … report," He said in a deeper voice without the British accent.

"I'm not getting anywhere," Mystique sighed walking out of his private bathroom, "I think only Potter and Weasley know about the Chamber and Ron is too stupid to talk, and Harry … I have to be careful around him. With him being an X-Man."

"The specimen you brought me has a strong will," Mr. Sinister said walking out of the shadows, "Even after you told her of this Harry, she still has blind faith he'll come to rescue it. And why did you just bring me one, it is in the prime of it's life. Why didn't you bring me a male, Mystique? I'm curious on its mating and weather their offspring are born a wizard or witch."

"Mystique I will give you the opportunity to search the school freely," Fudge said narrowing his now red eyes at the two, and then looking over in the corner, at the rat crawling through a hole, "You are late Wormtail."

The Rat then transformed into Lord Voldemort's servant, Wormtail. "Sorry I'm late," he said with an evil smirk, "I had to wait till Riddle wasn't looking,"

"Do you think you can convince Riddle to make an attack on Hogwarts soon?" Fudge asked crossing his arms.

"Maybe," Wormtail nodded, "but it will have to be during an event. And it will have to be when Potter is at the school; the fool is obsessed with killing him. If it's a moment where Potter is easily attacked, it will be like leading a stag to water."

"There is going to be a big dance next Friday," Mystique said, looking at her fingernails, "Harry is expected to be there. Would that work?"

"Yes, it would work nicely," Wormtail nodded, "Riddle loves to crash parties, I will inform him of this … opportunity."

"Very good," Fudge nodded, "Archangel!" He called into the shadows.

"You called, my Master?" a figure replied walking out of the shadows, he had on a black and red body suit, and blue skin visible by his gloveless hands and face, and his back was adorned with large metallic wings.

"Can you weaken Dumbledore's defenses around Hogwarts?" Fudge asked, smirking at his ultimate creation.

"Yes, my Master," Archangel responded coldly, "I will have his defenses dropped in time for Riddle's attack."

"Very good," Fudge said before turning his attention to Mystique, "I have given you the ability to do magic on the same level as Granger, and now giving you the perfect distraction to locate the Chamber of Secrets." He then reached out his hand toward her, causing her to fly though the air toward him.

She gasped as she felt Fudge's hand wrap around her neck tightly, "I made you, Mystique, fail me again … and I will break you." He then let her drop hard to the ground, "Now, go back to Hogwarts," Fudge ordered, as Mystique morphed into Hermione and ran to the portkey straight to Hogwarts.

Fudge smiled brightly as he looked out his office window, "Soon … very soon, the Chamber of Secrets will be mine once again …"

To Be Continued …

C. Cowboy: sorry it took so long to get this one up, I've had major computer troubles but they are all settled now, and I'm back in business! Next chapter should be up soon too. I'd like to thank Xavien1101 and Fusionblaster for beta reading this chapter for me. And now for a few shout outs:

Jorael: the answer is yes I'd love for you to do some cover art to this story, if the offer still stands. Email me if you need any more info for it, but it kind of made my day when you offered that ^^

To everyone shocked about Sabertooth being a wizard, just wait till you see what I'm doing with Logan's 'mysterious past' heh

Mola: I hope I cleared up a little about Harry's feelings and Kitty's thoughts on everyone's favorite Boy Who Lived and a certain blue elf will be coming next chapter.

And everyone who noticed the Jean's comment, oh you don't know the half of what's to come, and though Scott is a father figure to Harry, and he does resemble James, does that mean he IS in fact James? Or is it someone else that no one's thought of?

Silverdagger: I'm glad ya liking it, and if you look at the bottom of the first chapter you'll find a disclaimer for the X-Men and HP characters and events that is for all chapters to come after.

Everyone else, thanks for reading and reviewing ^^ sorry for what happened to Hermione this chapter but it should serve its purpose, anybody like Sinister? And any comments on Fudge? More reviews the faster the chapters' come.

Cya! Don't forget to review!

Next Chapter: Protecting Those That Hate And Fear