Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Children of the Atom by Classic Cowboy
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Children of the Atom

Classic Cowboy

Chapter 8: The Search for Hermione

----

I am a vision, I am justice
Never thought that I could love
Living in shadows, faded existence
It was never good enough
Within the darkness, you were the light
That shines away
You're trapped in violence, I can be the man
That saves the day

I'm there for you
No matter what
I'm there for you
Never giving up
I'm there for you
For you

Someone has changed me, something saved me
Now this is who I am
Although I was blinded, my heart let me find that
Truth makes a better man
I didn't notice that you were right in front of me
A mask of silence, we'll put away so we can see

I'm there for you
No matter what
I'm there for you
Never giving up
I'm there for you
For you

For you

Within the darkness, you are the light
That shines away
In this blind justice, I can be the man
That saves the day

I'm there for you
No matter what
I'm there for you
Never giving up

You know it's true
You were there for me
And I'm there for you
For you
For you
For you

For You - The Calling

----

"I have an idea … but you have to trust me," Harry said quickly removing both his gloves. "Kitty, don't touch his skin," Harry said before looking back to Wolverine, "Logan, take off a glove and give me your hand when I tell you to."

"Ok, Runt," Wolverine said taking off a glove, "Tell me when."

"Ok," Harry said pressing his palm to the side of Nightcrawler's face and grabbing Wolverine's hand at the same time.

Nightcrawler and Wolverine gasped, and Harry quickly jerked his hands away from both of them, "Please work …" He prayed looking at Nightcrawler. Then his eyes went wide at a strange memory that he just received obviously from Kurt.

'Why? If I had normal non-furry skin, and five fingers and toes, and looked normal would Kitty have still chose Harry over me? Who am I kidding, Kitty isn't like that … but why can't she see that I really care for her?'

"Oh Kurt," Harry sighed sadly.

"What happened?" Nightcrawler groaned, "I'm alive?" he asked looking down seeing his untouched skin under the torn and bloody uniform.

"You're alive!" Shadowcat cried pulling Kurt into a crushing hug.

"Kitten …" Nightcrawler gasped, "I … can … not … breathe …"

"Sorry," Kitty said, letting him go with a blush, "I'm glad you're ok," She whispered, rubbing her eyes feverishly. She then looked around them and spotted Ron, "Oh goodie," She groaned disappointedly, "You survived."

"What happened?" Nightcrawler asked pulling himself to his feet.

"I used my power to transfer a portion of Wolverine's healing factor to you," Harry explained, noticing Shadowcat's gaze stayed on Nightcrawler. 'Maybe the feeling's mutual,' Harry thought sadly, feeling as though he lost another girl he cared for to a friend.

"Runt, you awake?" Wolverine asked shoving his shoulder, shaking him out of his daze, "We're leaving, wake up."

"Hey Harry, can I ask you something?" Ron asked walking beside him.

"Sure, Ron," Harry nodded, "What is it?"

"Can I have a uniform like yours?" Ron pleaded, making Harry roll his eyes, "It's bloody wicked! And the color suits you."

"No, Ron," Harry shook his head, "and thanks, I think."

"WAIT!" Nightcrawler cried, causing everyone to stop dead, "What happened to the guys who attacked us? I knocked him out, where'd he go?"

"He probably ran while we were concentrating on blue boy," Wolverine growled, "lets not worry about him, the others might need some backup."

--

While the inside of the castle, without Voldemort to lead them, the Deatheaters were easily defeated, on the outside; they were causing a little bit more of a problem.

"Need a hand guys?" Cyclops asked running out with the other X-Men behind him.

"No need, Sugah," Rogue said cheerfully, chasing a pair of Deatheaters on broomsticks, "We can sweep this mess right up!" She grunted grabbing the ends of the two brooms and slamming them, and their riders.

"Gambit tinks dat it was over for it even started," he said, tossing some cards at a group of Deatheaters, and then jumping grabbing the broom of a passing Deatheater. "Thanks for de ride, Mon Ami," Gambit said letting go of the now glowing red broom, "Enjoy de fireworks," he smiled as the broom exploded between the rider's legs.

Then with a roar, Wolverine leaped over the railing and slashed a Deatheater about to attack Jubilee. "Thanks, Wolvie," Jubilee said, firing some of her 'fireworks' attacks at another Deatheater, Where have you guys been … whoa! Who's he?" she asked, as Harry, Ron, Shadowcat, and Nightcrawler ran out to them, "Hey, cutie," She said with a winking at Ron, "My name's Jubilation, but everyone just calls me Jubilee. What's your name?"

"Jubilee," Cyclops scolded, "Fight now; flirt later!" he then turned to Phoenix, "Is it clear inside, Jean?"

Phoenix brought a hand to her forehead, and closed her eyes tight, "Yes, there are none left in the building except a couple of students and a some professors," She said relaxing.

"Ok, Storm, finish this," Cyclops said looking at the African-born X-Man. And smirked as her eyes vanished into pure white.

"WINDS AND HAIL!" Storm cried, "RAIN DOWN AND DRIVE AWAY OUR ENEMIES!" As soon as the words left her mouth hurricane force winds and hailstones the size of golf balls rained down on the Deatheaters forcing them to escape.

--

"Thank you all so much," Dumbledore said from McGonagall's side, "I shudder to think of what could have been if not for you're quick arrival."

"We did what we could, sir," Cyclops said walking up to the elder professor, "But Mage was the one who brought us."

"Ah yes, Mr. Potter," Dumbledore said looking toward where Ron and Harry were talking, "This is not the first time he has come back and saved us all when none of us here deserved his salvation."

"Um what do you know of that gentleman?" Dumbledore asked nodding toward Wolverine who was lighting up a cigar.

"Wolverine?" Cyclops asked, "What about him?"

"Who is he? How long have you known him?" Dumbledore quizzed.

"His name's Logan, Professor," Cyclops answered, looking curiously at the professor, "He's been with us around six years now, I guess, even he doesn't remember much before that. Why do you ask?"

"Oh …" Dumbledore said, narrowing his eyes at Wolverine, "it's no matter."

"Is everyone ok?" Cyclops asked the headmaster.

"Yes, but one student is missing," Dumbledore answered, "Her name is-"

"Hermione Granger," Harry finished for him, walking toward them with Ron, "She's been missing at least a few months. Someone was pretending to be her in her place."

"Oh dear …" Dumbledore sighed, "That would explain her odd behavior … any idea where she could be, Mr. Potter?"

"No …" Harry said turning and starting toward the X-Jet, "But I am going to find her."

"Oh Harry …" Jean sighed looking sadly toward him, then to her husband.

--

"Harry wait!" Ron called running up to him.

"Listen, Harry," Ron started, looking at Harry in the most serious way he had ever before, "I know you are still upset about me and Hermione dating behind your back, and I know we did before that blue person took her place. So don't even pretend to be over that, Harry!"

"Ron, I'm," Harry started but Ron cut him off.

"No Harry, hear me out," He said forcefully, "Yes I am crazy about Hermione, I will not even pretend not to be, but Harry listen to me, do you know that over the summer, on all seven of our dates, I have learned everything there can be humanly known about you?"

"What?" Harry asked, trying desperately not to sound surprised and interested.

"Every single bloody date, Harry," Ron said exasperatedly, "Ron, did you know Harry did this, and he did that? Oh Ron, I hope those Dursleys are treating Harry well. Harry. Harry! Harry! Harry, Harry, HARRY, HARRY!" He said growing louder by the word. "From the moment I picked her up, to the second before I kissed her goodnight … bloody hell you are scary when you look at me like that, Harry … she would talk about one single topic … YOU."

"What's you're point, Ron?" Harry asked, still a bit miffed at the thought of Ron and Hermione kissing.

"My point is, you thick git," Ron all but shouted, "as much as I want her to be completely wild about me, she isn't in love with me. She's in love with you, Harry. Bloody hell! I was going to break up with her and tell her if she was so infatuated with you why not ask you out, then I guess who ever it was that took her place and we kindda well, ya know …" Ron then shook his head getting, back on track, "What I'm saying is, I wouldn't be surprised for a second if she wasn't waiting patiently for you to come in and save the bloody day like you bloody always do, so get the bloody hell out of here and go save her!!!" he finished breathing hard.

"I'll save her …" Harry said quietly, "Then she can decide who she wants to be with … I'll owl you when we find out something."

Take care, Harry," Ron sighed, as Harry climbed the ramp into the X-Jet followed by the remaining X-Men.

"How can any two people be so bloody thick?" Ron sighed before Jubilee walked up shyly, "Here's my phone number, call me sometime!" She smiled, giving him a folded piece of paper, "Call me!" She ordered again running up the ramp.

Ron looked down at the paper, "What's a phone? Is that like a telephone or what?"

--

It had been a week since the attack on Hogwarts and the official disappearance of Hermione Granger, the Ministry of Magic proved little help, except for telling and deeply upsetting Hermione's parents, and foolishly placing the blame on her disappearance onto the X-Men. Mrs. Granger quickly gave them the understanding that the X-Men had nothing to do with it, in a 'very' friendly manner.

Jean lay awake in Scott's arms, her thoughts resting on her adopted son. She had been keeping a mental eye on him, and psychically trying to relax his restless mind. She has attempted to talk with him, but, as with the other X-Men, completely failed.

"Harry, what can I do to help?" she whispered, with a sigh.

"Maybe I can help you with that," a voice came from the hallway.

"What? Who's there?" Jean asked slowly easing out of her husband's arms, and slowly crossing her bedroom.

"Come this way, and find out," the voice suggested.

Jean walked to the opened the door, but upon walking through the door, she found herself in the entrance of a quaint little cottage.

She looked over at the fireplace and saw several photos of a woman who looked a lot like herself and a man with a striking resemblance to Logan. "I'm up here! Come on up!" came a soft, British voice.

She followed the voice up a small flight of stairs, onto a closed door with a yellow duck shaped wooden plaque with 'Harry' written on it. She slowly opened the door to find a woman sitting before a cradle in a blue and white sundress, with long crimson red hair, same shade as her own, flowing down her back. "I'm pleased to finally meet you face to face, Jean," she said turning her friendly emerald green eyes to her.

Her eyes then took a sad glaze, as it turned to the cradle, "I've really missed him, I thank you for bringing him into yours and your husband's family. I've watched him for so long, and the only time I've seen him that happy was when he befriended Ron and Hermione."

"Who are you?" Jean asked taking a seat across from the woman who could be her twin.

"It doesn't matter, Jean," She said softly, "I am merely a memory held in the spirit of the Phoenix."

"I'm sorry, but what?" Jean asked tilting her head to the side.

"It will all be explained in time, my dear," she said with a caring smile, "but for now, all you need to know is that your decisions, life and death decisions, will effect more then you could possibly fathom." She then walked over and smiled down on the confused Jean, "When the time comes, you will understand, and I have faith you will make the right decision. Now you must leave this place, he needs you."

Jean opened her eyes and found that she was back in bed with Scott. 'He needs you,' she remembered from the strange dream. She carefully crawled out of bed and placed on a robe before exiting the room. She found Harry where he's been almost all the time he'd been at the mansion and not in a class: at the main computer looking up all the info on Mystique.

"Harry?" she asked moving around to look at him. He was slumped back in the seat, fresh tears, on his cheeks, obvious he's had a nightmare. She smiled sadly as she telekinetically raised him up from the chair and levitated him before her. She carried him up to his room and proceeded to tuck him in. "I promise you, Harry," Jean whispered as she kissed his forehead, on his scar, "We will find her."

--

Harry stood leaning against the wall outside Cerebro as Prof. Xavier finally came out. "Any sign of Mystique?" Harry asked anxiously.

"I'm sorry, Harry," Xavier said sadly, "not a sign of her. Something seems to be masking her. I'm sorry, Harry."

Thanks, Professor," Harry sighed walking toward the elevator at his side.

"You finished your danger room training, Harry?" Xavier asked, noting a small cut crossing his arm and a few drips of blood oozing out onto his uniform, and some hair stuck to his forehead by sweat. "You should go have Beast check out that cut."

"It's just a scratch," Harry said, with a weak smile.

"You truly have been around Wolverine too much," Xavier smiled, "You are beginning to act like him."

"We are going to find her, aren't we Professor?" Harry asked, fear of the answer evident on his face.

"We will do everything in our power to find Hermione, Mage," Xavier said in his strongest tone, "We will keep looking no matter how long it takes. X-Men do not believe in lost causes and we always bring our own home. Bet you didn't know that most of us here know Hermione quite well," Xavier said trying to lighten the mood. "What?" he asked as the lights of the hallway suddenly went off.

"Hello, Charles," a voice called from the shadows, "May I borrow your latest student? I have need for him."

"Sinister, I don't know how you got in here," Xavier growled, "But I will not allow you to take any person from my property."

"Will you make all of this boy's decisions for him, Charles?" Sinister asked with a fangy smile, "Tell me, are you or are you not Harry Potter, boy?"

"That's my name," Harry said stepping out from behind Xavier's wheelchair boldly, "but you can call me Mage."

"Very well, Mage, I have a question for you," Sinister said, stepping closer, "Does the name Hermione Granger mean anything to you?"

"Where is she?" Harry barked, barely keeping himself from tackling the strange man, "What have you done with her?"

"Oh you needn't worry about Hermione," Sinister chuckled, "She's thoroughly enjoyed her stay as my lab rat."

"You monster," Xavier eyes grew wide, "what have you done, how could you do anything to a child!"

"She is physically alright, Mage, Charles," Sinister said reassuringly, "physically anyway."

"If one hair is out of place …" Harry threatened, narrowing his eyes.

"I'll let her go of her own free will," Sinister offered, "If you come with me, Mage."

"Harry no," Xavier warned, "He is not to be trusted."

"Professor," Harry sighed, "This is my only chance, you told me to trust you, and I am. I'm going with him." Harry said giving the Professor a small wink.

"Very well," Xavier said, while mentally contacting the other X-Men and pre-starting the X-Jet.

"You swear you'll let her go of her own free will," Harry asked stepping toward the demonic scientist.

"I swear," Sinister said looking Harry in the eye.

"Lets go," Harry said and a bright flash blinded him.

Harry's eyes barely had enough time to focus before Sinister grabbed him and forced him down on an examination table and shackled him down.

"Where's Hermione?" Harry growled glaring at Mr. Sinister, "you swore you would let her go if I came with you."

"I said of her own free will," Sinister smiled evilly, "Hermione dear, you're free to go where you please." He said looking back in the shadows.

Then who walked out of the shadows made Harry's eyes go wide, it was her. No doubt this was the real Hermione, same bright cheery cinnamon eyes, bushy brown hair, and wearing slightly dirty Hogwarts robes.

"Hermione?" Harry asked a smile creeping across his lips, "You're alive! I knew I'd find you!"

Then all the color faded from his features as she walked up and twined her arms around Sinister's arm. "Who is that, Daddy? He looks familiar."

"It's amazing what a little reeducation can do, huh, Mage?" Sinister laughed as Harry stared, at a loss for words.

To Be Continued …

C. Cowboy: sorry for the really evil ending, but it will get better, I promise. As for Logan being James, trust my guys I know what I'm doing. ^_~ Well that's all I got for now. Enjoy and please review!