Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Children of the Atom by Classic Cowboy
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Children of the Atom

Classic Cowboy

Epilogue

Harry climbed over the rubble, reached down and helped Hermione over a large piece of debris. "Oh Harry," Hermione gasped, tears forming again, "Fat Lady …" she whimpered holding up the broken frame and shredded painting.

"This was the first home I ever knew …" Harry whispered painfully.

"Nonsense, my dear, It's not but a flesh wound," A voice called from the painting, causing Hermione to scream and throw it down.

"This place still never ceases to amaze me," Harry said looking over the wreckage.

"So, now what Harry?" Hermione asked.

"Simple really," Harry said pulling her in a hug, but holding her back just enough to look into her eyes, "We go on, rebuild, go to another school, whatever, just so long as we're still breathing, that's what matters." He said before giving her a quick kiss. Then pulling back, failing to hide the sadness in his eyes.

"I'm sorry, Harry," She whispered resting her head on his chest.

"I really miss her, Hermione," He said holding her tight, burying his face in her hair.

"I know," she responded giving him a firm comforting squeeze.

--

Wolverine leaned against the X-Jet staring at the ground, his solitude being his way to greave Jean's loss. He sniffed a moment then narrowed his eyes, "What the hell …" He growled stepping toward the back sleeping area of the X-Jet and could easily hear panting.

"What the hell is going on in here???" Wolverine growled throwing open the door, making Ron jump off Jubilee. "You …" Wolverine growled unsheathing his claws.

"Wolvie!" Jubilee shrieked, trying to cover herself, unsuccessfully when Ron showed his gentlemanly ways by taking the blanket to cover himself.

"Ron, run, now!" Jubilee ordered seeing the anger literally washing off Wolverine. Ron dashed out of there wearing only the bed sheet. Wolverine turned and stomped after him, "Wolvie! I love him, so don't kill him!"

"I wasn't going to kill him … till you said that," Wolverine said walking casually after the almost naked, scared to death Ron.

--

"Looks like the children will get a few months extra summer holiday this year," Dumbledore sighed, watching students loading horseless carriages.

"So what are you going to do, Albus?" Prof. Xavier asked rolling up beside him.

"I felt the situation was bleak when Hogwarts fell," Prof. Dumbledore spoke softly, "but then I looked around, at all the students, all the professors, and I realized, all that was destroyed was an old castle. Hogwarts still exists, in the hearts and minds of its students and teachers, and it will continue on quite possibly, as long as the world has heroes such as your X-Men, Charles."

"Someone help me!" Ron's voice called as he ran, holding the bed sheet tight, across the open field with Wolverine hot on his heels, "He's mad, I tell you, MAD!!!"

"What do you know about him, Charles?" Dumbledore asked nodding toward Wolverine.

"He goes by the name Logan now, Albus," Xavier responded, "He has no idea who he really is or where he came from, or that he is on the same covert team as his own son," he said smirking at the last.

"Ah so it is him," Albus nodded, "Any idea on how it is he is alive?"

"He has no memory before fifteen years ago," Xavier informed, "His last memory is him wondering through the forests of Canada as a wild animal covered in blood."

"Are you going to tell him of his past?"

"No," Xavier shook his head. "His mind is too fragile at this time. His conscious and subconscious might not survive such a revelation."

"Yes, letting him discover his past on his own would be the most prudent course of action," Dumbledore mused.

--

"Oh no …" Hermione whimpered when the two discovered a few books from where the library once had been.

"I'm sorry, Hermione," Harry sighed, walking in front of her.

Hermione looked around at the scatted torn books and rubble, and then a faint whisper began to rise in the back of her mind causing fear to rise in the pit of her stomach. She couldn't make it out, but she knew the voice, it was the voice of Sinister. Her mind grew slightly fuzzy, and she reached down and picked up a jagged stone, and the voice slowly began to be understandable: 'Kill … Kill … Kill …'

Her face scowled and an almost insane smile crossed her lips as she walked toward Harry's turned back. Hermione walked up and raised the stone over her head. 'Kill … Kill … Kill …' the voice repeated, 'Kill Harry?' Her own voice asked from the back of her mind, making her eyes go wide dropping the stone to the ground.

"Hermione?" Harry asked turning around at the noise, "Hermione are you alright?" He asked, shaken by Hermione's shocked and frightened expression.

"Harry!" Hermione cried diving in his arms.

"What's the matter?" he asked, his voice dripping with concern.

"J-Just hold me," Hermione begged, "and never let go …"

--

A short while later only Harry, Hermione, Ron, Ginny, Draco, Crabb and Goyle remained with the Professors and the X-Men. "You sure you're alright, Hermione?" Harry asked Hermione, now back acting her old self again.

"Honestly Harry," Hermione smiled slapping his arm playfully, "I get emotional once, and you think something's the matter, you must relax." She said giving him a hug and a quick kiss on the cheek.

"You two waist no time," Ron teased. Earning blushes from both Harry and Hermione.

"Oh sure, just took us six years to figure out we liked each other," Harry smirked wrapping his arms around Hermione's waist from behind, as she leaned into his chest, "We really should slow down, shouldn't we?"

"Potter!" Draco said walking up, none of them noticing a blush creeping on Ginny's cheeks.

"What do you want, Malfoy?" Harry asked, unimpressed.

"What's with you, Weasley?" Draco asked glaring at Ron, "Associating with a Mutie."

"You have a problem with me," Harry said stepping out in front of his friends, "Take it up with me."

"Oh I will, believe you me, Potter," Draco growled, a hint of worry in his voice, "But you know that you being what you are places the Mudblood, and the Weasel's family in danger …"

Draco couldn't finish as Harry grabbed him by the collar, "Well, I pity the poor fools that tries to get to me through my friends." He then turned and saw the last two carriages pulling up, "Ok guys, time to go home," Harry said turning to Hermione, Ron and Ginny, "Owl me alright, and maybe you guys can come over sometime this summer?"

"Wouldn't miss your birthday, Love," Hermione said, giggling at the last part, "I could get used to calling you that …" She said flirtatiously.

"Oh get over yourselves," Ron said rolling his eyes, then was almost tackled to the ground.

"Bye, Ronnie Baby," Jubilee said kissing him all over his face, "I'll miss you lots, and lots, and lots, and lots …"

"You were saying, Ron?" Harry asked raising an eyebrow.

"Bye, Harry," Hermione said, before giving him a soft kiss, "I'll call you when I get home, talk to you soon," She said getting into Ron and Ginny's carriage.

Harry waved as the carriages disappeared along the road, before joining the other X-Men in the X-Jet.

The flight over the ocean was a quiet one, the group taking their own time to think of their loss. Harry looked over at Jean's empty seat, and then around at the somber faces of the X-Men, they had won, but fallen at the same time. But like Hogwarts, they still lived, and because of that they would rebuild. This was not the end, not even close. This was but the beginning.

----

Hermione's Voice: Change is coming. A new breed of man has emerged. They are the Children of the Atom, Homo superior, individuals gifted with strange and fantastic abilities simply by virtue of their genetic makeup. Many of these mutants believe they should rule, and that open conflict with the human majority is inevitable. Hated and feared by those they've sworn to protect, another group stands in defense of a world on the brink of genetic war. Until the day Mutants and Humans live in peace and harmony, there will always be … X-Men.

The Beginning

C. Cowboy: Well that's it for Harry Potter and the Children of the Atom, nothing much else to say except thank you Xavien for Beta Reading this story, and coming this weekend: the next installment of the HPX series: Harry Potter and the Secrets of Weapon X!