Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Children of the Atom by Classic Cowboy
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Children of the Atom

Classic Cowboy

This chapter was automatically imported from the story archive available on /r/HPharmony.

Please report any issues by using the Report as broken button!

Chapter 2: Mage

The next day, Dr. McCoy and Logan walked into Prof. X's office. "We finished checking out the kid, Chuck," Logan said sitting down hard in a chair before the professor's desk.

"And?" Prof. Xavier asked eyeing the two.

"The boy isn't the largest build in the world, and it seems that he has gone through times of starvation," Dr. McCoy said, "but other then that he is in excellent physical shape. I'm not all that surprised; my niece bragged he was the star of their house Quid Dock team."

"The kid does have potential," Logan interrupted, lighting up a cigar, "I see it in his eyes, he's a fighter. But he's also got a lot of suppressed anger that needs to be worked out, I can help with that."

"We received his records, Professor," Scott said as he, Rogue, and Jean walked into the office.

Professor Xavier looked at the file filled with parchments and his eyes went wide, "Holy …" Xavier sighed.

The X-Men present walked around his desk and looked at the records of the new student. On the page Xavier was looking was a list of all the accomplishments Harry has made in his life.

"Defeated the dark wizard known as Voldemort at age …ONE! Defeated Voldemort a second time and saved Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry at age eleven … shit, he's X-Men material alright …" Logan said with a whistle.

"What about you, Hank," Scott said looking up at the blue furry scientist, "You get his records from the United Kingdom?"

"Yes, I certainly did," The Beast said putting on his reading glasses, "Ok … name, Harry James Potter, Age sixteen, born to James and Lily Potter on July 31, 1980 in Edinburgh, Scotland. Both parents deceased, died sometime in 1981. He is under the care of the Dursleys, Vernon and Petunia, and a Godfather, Sirius Black. Started at a unknown private school at age 11, apparently Hogwarts, and has attended since."

"Harry is currently exploring the estate, is it agreed that Harry will begin classes and combat training as well tomorrow?" Xavier said closing the file. Everyone nodded, and Xavier nodded, "He's saved the world several times, though with the help of his friends, almost by himself. It's time we showed him he doesn't have to fight alone."

--

Harry walked outside the mansion. It was late afternoon, and the sun was bearing down. "Hermione …" Harry sighed plopping down at the base of a large oak tree next to the estate's large lake. He couldn't believe the turn of events, his best friends have been hiding behind his back for Merlin knows how long, and then if it can't get any worse, he's a mutant too. Life is great.

"Dat ya woman, mon ami?" a voice from above him caused him to jump.

"Wh-who are you?" Harry gasped at the man setting on a tree limb, looking down on him with crimson eyes. Then in one fluid motion, the man flipped through the air and landed at the teen's side. Harry looked him over, the man had shaggy brown hair, with a red bandana rapped around his forehead, and his body was hidden under a long brown trench coat.

"De name's Gambit, I live here," he said with a smirk, "You must be de new kid."

"Um, yeah, my name's Harry, Harry Potter," Harry said smiling kindly, "You're a little old to be a student, do you teach here?"

"Pleasure, Harry, Harry Potter," Gambit said in a deep Cajun accent. "And … Gambit … Teach … ya funny, mon ami, Gambit don't teach … Gambit … just plays cards …" he said raising his hand from his pocket to show an Ace of Spades held between his two middle fingers. "You never answered my question, Harry, Harry Potter. Is this Her My Ninny your woman?"

Harry blushed, "I … no … no she isn't, it's a long story …"

"Gambit got time." The Cajun said sitting down beside Harry.

Harry didn't know why he told him, he didn't even know this man. Maybe it was the fact he had to tell somebody or else he'd explode. But he told this 'Gambit' about his situation with Hermione and Ron, and his new friend here was actually a good listener.

"Ah, Gambit sees clearly," Gambit said nodding after Harry was finished, "You liked this girl, but you never knew ya other friend liked her too. Said friend went and asked said girl out. And they have been seein and doing … other tings behind ya back. Am I wrong?"

Harry shook his head.

"Ya have much respect for both your friends, and wouldn't have any complaints tim goin out, jus tim goin out behind ya back, upset you, yes?"

Harry shook his head again.

"You wouldn't go behind ya friends' backs, so it making her an untouchable prize just outside ya grasp," Gambit assessed, "Gambit knows how that is all too well …"

"Thanks for listening, Gambit," Harry said with a genuine smile.

"No problems, Mon ami," Gambit said, "Now, Professor Xavier sent me to tell ya he needs to speak with you. Gambit tinks you better head on, Xavier tends to be a bit on the impatient side at times."

"Ok, see you around, Gambit," Harry said waving goodbye before running back toward the mansion.

"Good kid …" Gambit said watching him go, "Now, where's Cher,"

--

"You called, Professor?" Harry asked walking into Professor Xavier's office.

"Yes, do come in, Harry," Xavier said looking up from Harry's file. "I have been reading your file from Hogwarts, and I must say, you've done a lot of good things."

"I just did what was needed," Harry said, looking down to hide his blush, "anybody else would have done it."

"I'm not to sure of that, my young friend," Xavier said, "Good heroes are few and far between these days, but that is only part of why I've called you today."

Harry just nodded shyly.

"Harry, we've finished our tests, and we've discovered exactly what type of gifts you've received," Xavier said, grabbing Harry's attention.

"We'll it seems that your natural gift is telekinetic abilities, but the curse you received when you were a child seemed to have mutated you further. You have gained strong telepathic abilities as well as minor parasitic abilities."

Harry, once he got over the fact Professor Xavier showed no fear in saying Voldemort's name, looked at the older man questioningly, "What does that mean?"

"Well Harry, your natural ability of Telekinesis, which is the ability to move things with the power of your mind alone, is your strongest ability. The next strongest is your telepathic ability, which allows you to read minds and in some rare instances foresee the future, is strong probably because it relates to Telekinesis. Then finally your parasitic ability allows you to take energy from other living beings by making physical contact." Prof. Xavier explained, "When used on Mutants you temporarily take their abilities as well as your own. The length in which you hold the ability is determined by how long you hold skin-to-skin contact. Rogue has a similar power, only do to a childhood injury, she has no control over it, and can never my physical contact with another living being."

"Oh … ok …" Harry said still not understanding.

"Don't worry, son," Xavier said giving Harry a reassuring smile, "You'll figure everything out in time, and we'll be right there to help you along. But what I've asked you to come today is to ask if you'd be willing to take part in some advanced classes in developing your abilities, a program I've dubbed 'Generation X'. Most students do not become active members of the X-Men until after they graduate from the regular classes, but if you successfully pass the Generation X tests, you will become a full fledged X-Man."

"What does that mean exactly, Professor?" Harry asked, feeling strangely nervous and excited about the idea of being a 'X-Man'.

"I've studied your records from Prof. Dumbledore, you've already shown astounding bravery and courage in situations when anyone else would have ran. When no one else would stand up to almost literally the devil, you stood and faced him head on. Bravery and Courage, that's what it takes to be an X-Man and you have both of those things. I won't force you into it; you don't have to if you don't wish to. But I feel you would make a great addition to the team."

"Um, Professor, exactly what do the X-Men do?" Harry asked, feeling silly for asking the question.

"As you've seen Harry, the Mutants here share my dream of a world where mutants and humans live in peace and harmony," Prof. Xavier explained, "But not all mutants and humans agree with my vision. Some mutants use their power in personal gain and to try to rule over 'normal' humans. And then most humans fear what they do not understand, you probably already understand this as a wizard, but they tend to strike out and try to destroy what they do not understand. And to explain what the purpose of the X-Men is, quite simply, to protect those who cannot protect themselves. Do you understand my friend?"

"Ok," Harry said, giving a determined nod, "I'll give it a try."

"Very good …" Professor Xavier smiled, "Cyclops!"

The door of the office opened and in walked Scott, but dressed differently then Harry has seen. Scott was wearing a black leather body suit with blue trim, decorated with blue circles with 'X's in the middle of them on his s