Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Children of the Atom by Classic Cowboy
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Children of the Atom

Classic Cowboy

Chapter 5: I Still Remember …

----

I still remember the world from the eyes of a child.
Slowly those feelings were clouded by what I know now.
Where has my heart gone?
And I'd even dream for the real world.
Oh I, I want to go back to believing in everything and knowing nothing at all.

I still remember the sun always warm on my back.
Somehow it seems colder now.
Where has my heart gone?
Trapped in the eyes of a stranger.
Oh I, I want to go back to believing in everything.

Where has my heart gone?
And I'd even dream for the real world.
Oh I, I want to go back to believing in everything.
Oh where, where has my heart gone?
Trapped in the eyes of a stranger.
Oh I, I want to go back to believing in everything.

I still remember…

Fields of Innocences - Evanescence

-----

Ron and 'Hermione' sat in Snape's potion class, as usual, watching him only call on Slytherin and only calling on the Gryffindors to take points away. Then the door of the class slid open drawing Snape and everyone else's attention.

"Oh, sorry," Harry said shyly as everyone, even Snape, stared speechless. He didn't realize how much he's changed since he went to Xavier's. He shoulders and chest has broadened, and he seemed taller, though it was only because he no longer hunched but carried himself with more pride.

"A-Ah yes," Snape said clearing his throat, "We discussed you're return today in a faculty meeting, welcome back, Mr. Potter," Snape said in his usual tone, as Harry took a seat beside Ron.

"Where in Merlin's name have you been???" Ron whispered.

"I'll tell you later," Harry responded, pushing his glasses up on his nose, "Long story."

Harry then looked to the other side of him and saw Pansy and Parvati, who usually can't set together without fighting, were both setting together quietly, staring at him. Harry blinked a few times, "Um hello," He greeted but only response he got was a drip of drool that escaped Pansy's mouth.

Harry blushed lightly before turning his attention back to the class.

--

Snape's class went as normally for Harry, except Snape seemed to not point out Harry's every single mistake. But this time he seemed to be looking over him. When the class time was up, and the class started to leave, Snape spoke up, "Mr. Potter, may I have a word with you privately for a moment?"

Harry nodded nervously, then turned to Ron and Hermione, "Guys, I really need to talk to you guys later," Harry said nodding his head toward the door, "I have to meet Prof. Dumbledore after this so I'm not sure I'll see you guys till lunch, would you mind meeting me in the commons room then?"

They both nodded, before Harry took an audible gulp and turned to face the Professor. He walked back into the classroom, and Professor Snape walked around him slowly, like he was sizing him up. Then suddenly he stopped in front of the boy, and did one thing he has never done before: out stretched his hand to him.

"Huh?" Harry asked dumbly staring at the hand.

"Allow me the honor of shaking hands with an X-Man," Snape said with a faint since of pride in his voice.

"Umm what?" Harry asked.

"The entire faculty knows you've joined the X-Men, Mr. Potter, or should I call you Mage?" Snape commented with a smirk, "We were informed of your progress in reports from Prof. Xavier. You and you're teammates have my full respect. Any sane member of our race knows who our champions are."

"Professor … you mean," Harry gasped, finally understanding, "you're a … you're a …"

"A mutant?" Snape finished for him, "Yes, dear boy, I am."

He then walked over and sat down at his desk, "And I also owe my life to X-Men like you. You see about ten years ago, I was in London. Others didn't know I was a mutant, but a friend I was with was a little more … conspicuous. My friend, Dr. McCoy is also a member of your group."

"Whoa, you know Beast?" Harry asked, his eyes bulging.

"Yes, his sister moved to Britain some years ago, and married a muggle dentist," Snape explained, "anyway, we had thought no one saw us, but a group of Anti-Mutant miscreants attacked us. Other members of the X-Men came to our rescue, a woman in rather interesting blue and gold ensemble that appeared a few sizes too small, long red hair and green eyes, a man in blue and yellow outfit and a weird yellow and red eye piece, who could fire beams from his eyes, and a rather rude gentlemen in yellow tiger-striped uniform and a mask, and metal claws fought off the mob. I have a strong feeling that without Henry and these other X-Men I would certainly not be here today. I never got a chance to say thank you, so I will be satisfied thanking the groups latest recruit."

"Sounds like the others are Jean, Scott, and Logan," Harry mused, "Different uniforms then now, I guess …"

"Now Mr. Potter, I believe you have to meet with Prof. Dumbledore," Snape said returning to his usual, hateful tone, "Go, before I take away points from Gryffindor."

--

Harry walked into Dumbledore's office and found several Professors in Prof. Dumbledore's presence. Harry looked around to see Madam Hooch looking furious, a curious Madam Pomfrey, and a worried looking Prof. McGonagall. "Ah, Mr. Potter," Professor Dumbledore said cheerfully, "Please join us."

"Mr. Potter," Professor McGonagall began as Harry took a seat, "the faculty has been informed of your progress and … out-of-class activity at your new school, and I fear the response has been … varied," She said giving Hooch a glare.

"What do you mean, Professor?" Harry asked tilting his head to the side.

"You see, Harry," McGonagall said resting a hand on the teen's shoulder, "Some wizards and witches don't like Mu- … your kind, because …you see… some feel that those born with gifts from birth that are similar to those that can be learned by magic is a form of cheating and is unfair, and shouldn't be aloud."

"Oh …" Harry said, dropping his head shyly.

"Madam Hooch wished to have you removed from the Gryffindor Quidditch Team," Dumbledore said softly giving the Madam who was glaring at Harry a hard stare, "Because of the nature of your gift, it could lead to you cheating in a game. But knowing your record and your good name, I have … encouraged Madam Hooch to allow you to continue participation, but under a more strict watch."

"Ok," Harry nodded, hurt a bit by Madam Hooch's lack of trust in him, "You can trust me," Harry said with a reassuring smile.

"None of your kind can be trusted," Hooch shot earning a glare from Dumbledore.

"That's enough, Madam Hooch," Dumbledore growled, before looking at Harry, "Thank you, Mr. Potter, you may return to Gryffindor tower. You have but one more class for the day, and you have permission to miss it, if you so desire. You have been given much to think about in a short period of time."

"Thank you, Professor Dumbledore," Harry said before giving a respectful nod to the other professors and walking out.

"Poor lad," Dumbledore sighed as he closed the door, "Has he not been through enough in his life?"

--

"So you going to tell us where you were, mate," Ron asked setting on a couch in the abandoned commons room with 'Hermione' at his side and Harry sitting across from them. "We were worried about you, Harry."

"First off, guys," Harry started, taking a deep breath, "I know. I know about you two."

"Wha?" Ron gasped, neither noticing the sly smile crossing Hermione's lips for a moment. "How did you find out?"

"Well … seeing as neither of you really felt I was important enough to tell your best friend about your relationship, I found out the most expected way," Harry said with a momentary look of discuss, "The night I left I walked in on you two shagging."

Oh…" Ron said shyly and said nothing more, while Hermione just looked down and covered her mouth with her hand to hide her content smile.

"I forgive you," Harry sighed, earning a shocked look from both, and a faint look of disappointment from 'Hermione'. "We've been through far to much to let this tear us apart, it hurt, believe you me, it hurt a lot. But … I'm willing to put it behind us and be happy for you … the better man won I guess."

Ron got up and unceremoniously hugged Harry while Hermione looked on in shock.

"Now, before I tell you where I've been, Ron, Hermione, you have to promise," Harry requested, his eyes begging, "Promise you'll remain friends with me."

"Of course, Harry," Ron said with a smile, "It can't be that bad, it's not like you're a Mutie or something."

"Ron … I am …" Harry whispered, just loud enough for Ron and Hermione to hear.

"Y-You're what?" Ron asked not wanting to believe.

"I'm a Mutant, Ron," Harry said looking up at his shocked face hoping their six-year friendship would be strong enough to take this blow, "I've been attending Xavier's School for the Gifted. It's a school for Mutants to learn how to control their abilities. I've even joined a group made up of more advanced students and teachers called the X-Men."

Ron's shocked face slowly turned to one of hurt, as tears formed in his eyes, but he quickly turned his back on Harry trembling slightly. "Just … just stay away … stay away from me."

'Hermione's eyes widened and her face turned to one of pale fear, 'oh God, I didn't count on this …' she thought in panic, 'if he finds out about me, oh God, why? Why did he have to go … go THERE???'

"Ron …" Harry started and touched his shoulder, "after everything we've been through together, please Ron, I really need you guys …"

"I said …" Ron growled turning around quickly hitting Harry square in the jaw, "STAY AWAY FROM ME, YOU FREAK!!!" He cried tears flowing down his face. He then looked down on the dazed Harry, and turned and ran out the portrait hole, leaving Harry and 'Hermione' alone.

"Hermione, please tell me … oh Mione …" Harry sighed sadly as he turned to see 'Hermione's look of pure fear. Harry didn't give her time to speak even if she would of; he turned and dashed toward his dormitories and his portkey to the X-Mansion leaving her alone.

Lucky she was alone, because the shock proved too much for her, and her skin and clothing shifted to blue scaly skin, her curly brown hair shortened, straightened, and turned bright red, and her chestnut eyes turned to snake-like and yellow. "Damn X-Man," She cursed as she sat down, "Damn them all!"

--

"The things I do to get out of homework," Kitty sighed as she walked into Storm's green house on the top floor of the mansion. Storm had made an arrangement with young Ms. Pryde to excuse her from doing her stack of over do assignments in exchange for working her greenhouse for a week. She placed on the blue apron with a large black X on the front, and went to work watering and inspecting the verity of plant life.

As she went about her work, she heard what sounded like sniffling, "Hello?" She asked sitting the watering pot down, and looking around the large green house, "Is anybody there?"

"Sorry," Harry whispered standing up from his hiding place, "I-I'll go, sorry," he said, failing to mask a sob, before trying to quickly pass the girl.

'Hold it right there, Mister" Kitty said sternly, "You're not going anywhere until you tell me what's wrong."

"Nothing," Harry snapped but she stayed firm.

"You're gonna have to talk to someone," Kitty said, "Or it'll just eat you up."

Harry let out a sigh before explaining what happened earlier with Ron and Hermione. "I half expected what happened with Ron, it hurt, but not as much as Hermione," He said, not making contact with Kitty's concerned brown eyes. "Even when the whole school turned on me in fourth year, she stood by me, Kitty," Harry sighed in frustration as a tear ran down his cheek, "I've never seen her look at me like that … like she was afraid of me … not in my worse dreams … not once …" he then looked away not wanting her to see a fellow X-Man see him cry.

Kitty then brought her hand up to touch his cheek and turn him to face her, "Harry … if they can't see past what you are and see WHO you are … they were never friends in the first place, and you're better off without them."

"I know … it's just … they were the first friends I ever had … and Hermione … she was one of the first girl I ever really … ya know … liked …" Harry sighed, "I feel so alone now …"

"But Harry," Kitty said with a shy smile, "You're not alone."

"I know, Kit-" Harry started, but was abruptly stopped as Kitty pressed her lips to his.

Kitty then pulled back and looked embarrassedly up into Harry's saucer-shaped eyes, "I-I'm sorry … I don't know what came over me … I just-" she stuttered but was silenced as Harry pulled her back into another kiss.

Meanwhile in the shadows of the greenhouse, a third set of eyes watched the couple sadly. His blue colored fur helped him to blind in perfectly with the shadows, though he'd rather crawl under a rock and die slowly. With a silent sigh, the figure disappeared leaving only a small cloud of sulfur and a single teardrop that collided with the ground.

--

Kitty completely forgot her choirs, and went about her one concern at the moment, making out, or as Harry called it, 'snogging' with Harry.

'Harry, I apologize for interrupting you … getting to know Ms. Pryde better,' Prof. Xavier's voice rung in Harry and Kitty's minds causing them to jump apart, 'But please come to my office immediately. It is a very important matter."

"Right, Professor," Harry said standing up adjusting his Hogwarts robes and dusting the dirt from them, and helping Kitty to her feet, "Kitty go on, I have to do something and I'll be right behind you."

--

Two hours later, the X-Jet came to a rest out side 4 Private Drive, London, or what was left of it. Harry, in his Mage uniform, Shadowcat, Wolverine, Cyclops, and Phoenix walked slowly toward the unhinged door, "Merlin's ghost …" Harry gasped as he walked through the shredded door and saw the destroyed home, decorated with the Dursley's blood. "They … they didn't deserve this …" Harry growled, closing his eyes tight, filling a slight bit of comfort as Kitty holding his hand tight and Phoenix squeezing his shoulder.

"Who … who could have done this?" Shadowcat asked, turning a little green around the gills.

Wolverine stepped further into the house and sniffed the air, before unsheathing his claws and growling angrily, "Sabertooth …"

"Sabertooth?" Harry asked, narrowing his eyes, "He was with … Magneto … this was my fault … this is a message to me …" Harry said, growing pale from the realization.

"Lets go back, and tell the Professor," Cyclops said softly as Phoenix and Shadowcat led the shocked Harry back to the X-Jet.

--

"Sabertooth?" Prof. Xavier asked as Cyclops stood before him, and Harry sat in a chair with Jean and Kitty rubbing his shoulders.

"Yes, Professor," Cyclops replied, "Wolverine remained in London to try to track him."

"Harry, come with me," Xavier said wheeling his chair around his desk heading toward the doorway, with the others behind him.

The group went down into the lower levels of the mansion, and toward a large room with a retina scanner in the center. The group stopped before the door, and Xavier leaned forward toward the scanner, which immediately scanned his eye.

"Welcome, Professor," A voice said as the door slowly opened.

"Come along, Harry," Xavier said as he rolled inside.

Harry looked around the large spiracle room; it was about three stories, with a single walkway leading from the door to a single platform with a strange console with a headpiece in the center of the room. "Welcome to Cerebro, Harry," Professor said as he wheeled to the center. "What ever you do, son," Prof. X instructed placing on the headpiece, "Don't move."

"What are we doing here Professor?" Harry asked, looking around.

"As good as Logan's tracking skills are, I feel he may not find Sabertooth before he finds another victim," Professor X stated, "Cerebro will help us."

Suddenly the floor and the entire room itself vanished then it was replaced by open space with images of people of various ages and nationalities flying past him.

"Creed … where are you?" Professor X asked as a single image came into focus before them, Sabertooth riding a motorcycle down a dirt road. "There you are …"

"Where is he, Professor?" Harry asked nervously.

"One moment, Harry," Prof. X asked, as the imaged zoomed out into what appeared like a map of England. "Looks like he's in some unpopulated area northwest of London."

"Oh no …" Harry gasped, "He's going straight toward where Sirius is hiding!"

--

Harry and Prof. Xavier quickly exited Cerebro, "I'm going to my room, Professor," Harry said, looking very pale.

"Very well, Harry," Xavier said as Harry quickly walked past the group, earning worried looks from the group especially Kitty and Jean.

"Cyclops, Phoenix," Prof. X said in his commanding voice, "Get Beast, Colossus, and Storm, and take the X-Jet to this location, and get there very quickly. I'll contact Wolverine and have him meet you there, we know where he's … oh dear …"

"What's wrong, Professor?" Jean asked as the Professor suddenly took a very worried expression.

"Harry just left using the portkey," Professor X sighed, "And he took his flying broom with him …"

--

Harry shot over the English landscape on his Firebolt, if not for the insulated X-Men uniform, the cold wind would of made him slow down quite some time ago.

"Hang on, Sirius," Harry said as he flew as fast as the Firebolt could go, "I won't let you face that monster alone."

Harry touched down outside Sirius's hut, it seemed he was the first to arrive. Hopefully the other X-Men would be here soon, but even if they weren't coming, Harry would NOT let Sirius face a beast like Sabertooth alone.

"Sirius??" Harry cried as he ran into the small house, looking around in every room, "Sirius, are you home?"

"O-Out here, Kiddo!" Sirius called from the backyard.

"Thank God," Harry sighed, thankful he got there in time. But went wide-eyed when he saw whom Sirius was with.

"Hey, Runt," Sabertooth growled holding Sirius by the neck, "I was hoping ya would show up."

"Let him go," Harry growled, pulling out his wand, "now."

"Or what, Mr. Wizard," Sabertooth mocked, twirling Sirius' wand in his free hand, "You gonna zap me with your little stick again?"

"If you hurt him," Harry whispered dangerously, "I'll do more then zap you …"

"Oh you're no fun," Sabertooth groaned as he dropped Sirius to the ground.

Sirius then jumped up and dashed to Harry's side, standing partly in front of him protectively.

"But you know what, Mage," Sabertooth said with a fangy grin, "You're not the only one with magic blood flowing through you." He then pointed Sirius's wand at its owner, "Avada Kedavra!"

Harry watched in horror as the spell sped form the wand. Sirius had enough time to turn to Harry and give him on last smile before the curse hit him in the chest causing him to drop to his knees on into Harry's arms. "SIRIUS!!!!!" Harry cried as he held his lifeless Godfather in his arms. "Sirius … no …"

"It's been a good sixteen years since I used magic," Sabertooth chuckled, "I seem to have not lost my touch."

Harry's teary eyes slowly cut toward Sabertooth, "you … you're no better … no better then him …"

"You talkin' about Voldemort?" Sabertooth snorted, "I AM better then him, in every way imaginable. I was made to be."

"Then …" Harry said standing to his feet, "You'll die as he will, Accio Wand!" he shouted as the wand flew from Sabertooth's hand, and Harry pointed his wand again, "Stupefy!" Harry cried as he shot a beam at Sabertooth who easily dodged the spell.

Sabertooth dove at Harry, and the young wizard/X-Man jerked off a glove. Sabertooth brought his claw across Harry's face, but Harry reached up and grabbed Sabertooth's sleeveless arm with his bare hand, copying Sabertooth's strength, speed, and healing ability. The young man then stabbed Sabertooth with his now clawed hand and kicked him away.

The two continued to claw, punch and kick, while Harry occasionally would cast a spell. While Harry had the same strength and speed as Sabertooth, Sabertooth had the cool head. And because of this, Harry was taking more hits then he was putting out.

Harry finally took a misstep and Sabertooth ran through him with his razor sharp claws.

"HARRY, NO!" A voice called from behind them as Harry dropped to the ground, gasping for air. He looked back and saw Phoenix floating toward Sabertooth with a very angry expression on her face. Her body was surrounded by blue psychic energy, which suddenly took an orangey red color and looked more like flames. "You …" Phoenix said in a voice not like her own, narrowing her now blazing red eyes, "Never touch my son again," she commanded as a fiery blast shot from her outreached hand that blasted Sabertooth far in the distance.

The flames disappeared as quickly as the appeared and Phoenix dropped to her knees. She blinked and shook her head in confusion, "W-What … just happened?" she then looked back at the teen, "HARRY!" she cried as she dashed to his side.

"Harry, are you alright?" Cyclops asked looking over the bloodied uniform, seeing that most wounds have healed up, but the healing ability faded before it could wipe away a scar that formed on his stumach.

"Sirius …" Harry whispered before braking into sobs, "Sirius …"

Jean looked down sadly at the boy she had come to think as the son she always wanted, and pulled him into a hug. "I know … I know … let it out, Harry," Jean whispered as she held him tight, letting him sob on her shoulder, "let it out …"

The X-Men remained there with the distraught Harry, till the teen finally fell asleep in Jean's arms.

"Come on, kid," Logan whispered sadly, taking him from the reluctant Jean, "Lets go home …"

--

Later that night, Harry sat in his bed in room at the Mansion; he had given up on sleep some hours ago. Every time he closed his eyes he saw Sirius fall. So now he sat there in the dark, thinking about Sirius, Hermione, Ron, his parents, Cedric and even the Dursleys, everyone who had lost their lives because of him.

Harry looked to his left and in a chair in the corner of his and Kurt's room, Kitty sat, leaning to the side, fast a sleep. She reminded Harry a lot of what he thought Hermione was like: caring, friendly, witty, and faithful to a fault.

Harry's thoughts were interrupted as Hedwig flew through the open window and landed on his shoulder, exhausted.

"A … a letter from … Sirius?" Harry asked as he looked at the parchment on the leg of his snow owl.

Harry looked at it for several moments before finally unrolling it and reading it

Hey Kiddo,

All I can say is wow! My godson is a real life superhero! I'm really proud of you, and it doesn't bother me that you're different; hey I'm one to talk. I spend most of my time as a dog, and it never bothered you. So why should you having some new abilities bother me. I'm actually relieved; those powers will definitely help you protect yourself from You-Know-Who.

About Ron and Hermione, Harry you can't really help how people think, and it was a bit of a shocking revelation so you never know they may come around. But if they don't that's ok too, I look forward to meeting you're new friends from you're new school. That is if you're not ashamed of you're dear old godfather Snuffles. Heh, I especially want to talk to this Kitty, you two already kissed, wow, liccle Harry Warry growing up on me 'sniff sniff' I'm getting way to old …

I am really sorry about what happened with Ron and Hermione, I know how close the three of you were, and it had to have hurt you. And I always figured you and Hermione would end up the couple to end all couples but weather it be with Hermione or this new girl Kitty, if you're finally truly happy after everything you've been through, I can die happy.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Snuffles

"Ok, Snuffles …" Harry whispered looking at the sleeping Kitty, "I'll try my best to be happy. I'll be happy for you … for us … good bye Sirius …" Harry said as he laid back in his bed, peaceful sleep finally overcoming him.

--

Meanwhile, just a few miles away, a teenaged girl, around the same age as Harry sat in the corner of her cell. Her Hogwarts robes were torn and covered in dirt. Her bare arms were slightly bloody and cut from where she had been poked with extraction and examination needles, her long curly brown hair and face was dirty, but her cinnamon eyes shimmered with defiance and Gryffindor courage.

While anyone else would be more worried about themselves in her situation, her worries were centered on a very strong feeling in the pit of her stumach and heart, "Harry …" She whispered looking out the small window of her castle prison, "Something terrible has happened … I can feel it … please be careful, Harry, and please be ok …"

To Be Continued …

C. Cowboy: A lot happened in this one, and a lot of subtle and not so subtle hints of what's to come later in the story. I'll start out with saying the X-Men side of the story is completely AU compared to the comic, movie, and cartoons. The major events of the X-series (like the Phoenix saga, hint-hint) haven't happened yet. Before anyone asks, Jean's code name without that saga will be explained in the next chapter. The Harry/Kitty thing has begun, H/Hr fans don't shoot me, and give it a chance k? Things can happen. And EVERYTHING will be explained in time.