Unofficial Portkey Archive

HPX2: Harry Potter & The Secrets of Weapon X by Classic Cowboy
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

HPX2: Harry Potter & The Secrets of Weapon X

Classic Cowboy

Chapter 15: Counter-Offensive

"Ron?" Harry asked, as he and Hermione both stared at their friend in confusion, "What are you doing here?"

"STUPIFY!!" Ron cried, and a beam of light shot toward Harry and Hermione.

Harry gawked in shock even as the beam passed him and connected to the Auror that was standing directly behind him and Hermione. Ron smiled confidently as the Auror fell backwards. "That's what you get for messing with my friends." Ron said before turning to Harry and Hermione smugly, "Who's the hero now, Harry?"

"Ron?" Harry asked, again as he and Hermione glanced at the fallen Auror.

"I got an anonymous owl," Ron said as he walked up to the couple, "the letter was on Malfoy's private owl, despite my better judgment, I opened and it said you guys were in trouble, that the Ministry was going to hit Xavier's saying it was a Terrorist and Deatheater ring. So I came to warn you. Leave it to me to be late."

"I thank you for that, Ron but right now I believe the Mansion is about to blow up so it might be wise to start making our way to the X-Jet, do you agree?" Harry said before turning toward the elevator.

Harry hit the button to open the elevator door and waited a few moments. "Great, the elevator's dead!" Harry cursed, then his eyes widened, "Dad, go ahead and take off," he sent telepathically, "I'll get Ron and Hermione out on my bike, we'll meet with the 'High Snitch Maneuver'," Harry then dashed down the hall, and glanced back at Ron, "You coming?"

"Right," Ron nodded and ran behind the two, "What's the High Snitch Maneuver?"

"You don't want to ask that, Mate …" Harry said as he made his way toward the garage.

They made it to the garage and Harry let Hermione down, and handed her to Ron. "We'll get that ankle looked at when we get back to New Hogwarts, Hermione, now lets roll," Harry said climbing on his Firebolt II bike, Hermione you get in the middle, Ron you get on the back. Both of you hold on tight."

The Firebolt II roared out of the opened garage door. "Holy …" Harry heard Ron squeak as he weaved between the Sentinels' legs all the way out of the mansions gates.

Harry pulled his wand and muttered a spell, transfiguring a tree into a ramp, before circling back, "Ok, guys, hold on," he said as the X-Jet approached.

"Harry, what are you doing?" Hermione whispered nervously, peaking over his shoulder.

"Get back down, Hermione, and hold on to me, you too, Ron," Harry instructed as he revved his bike's engine.

"Harry …" Ron squeaked fearfully, as the ground trembled.

"There went the self-destruct system, gotta fly!" Harry said.

"Fly? I thought you said this bike couldn't fly …" Ron said, before squeaking a girly scream as the bike pilled out, "HARRY NO!! DON'T DO IT!!"

Harry hit the ramp at full speed just as the mansion exploded in flames, but the sound of the explosion was unable to cover Ron's girl-like scream. The Firebolt II and its three passengers shot high into the air and landed with squalling tires in the rear cargo bay of the X-Jet.

"Everybody ok?" Harry asked, trying futilely to get Hermione to let go of his waist.

"I'm fine," Hermione squeaked.

"Harry?" Ron said bashfully.

"You ok, Ron?" Harry asked.

"No," Ron responded, sound as if he was on the verge of tears. "I made a mess in Hermione's hair …"

"You ok … whoa," Wolverine said walking into cargo bay, waving his hand before his nose, and looked at the pitiful looking Hermione, "You need to take a shower, Darlin, you smell down right funky."

X-X-X-X-X-X-X

"You can go in now, Mr. Potter," Madam Pomfrey said walking out in the hallway, "I swear being your girlfriend is a hazard to the poor girl's health, she just got out of the wing and already back in," she scolded the young man, before giving a small smile, "She'll be right as rain in about an hour, merely a sprained ankle. But if I ever have to clean a mess like that in a another person's hair, I'm quitting."

"What about Professor Xavier?" Cyclops asked stepping up beside his adopted son.

"He took a strong knock out charm, but should be coming to in another couple hours, Mr. Summers," Pomfrey said somewhat flirtily toward the field commander of the X-Men. "I'll be sure to let you know personally when he regains consciousness." She then turned back to the teen, "She's asking for you, Mr. Potter, tis rude to keep your lady waiting."

Harry nodded and entered the hospital wing and went straight to Hermione's bed, where she was reclining and reading a book. "Hey," he said pulling up a seat to sit by her bedside.

"Harry, are you ok?" Hermione asked looking up from her book.

Harry gave his girlfriend a smile, "Hey, I'm not the one in the hospital bed, now am I?"

"Did everyone make it out ok?" Hermione asked worriedly, "I can't believe the Ministry attacked the school, do you think they'll attack New Hogwarts too?"

"We don't know yet," Harry said glancing over at Xavier's sleeping form on a bed on the other side of the room, "We're waiting for Professor Xavier to come to, The Order of the Phoenix has just arrived too. I don't know what's going to happen now, Mione."

"Fool me once, shame on you, fool my twice, shame on me," Hermione stated, then glancing at her confused boyfriend. "Meaning, they got us once, we'll be ready next time."

"Right," Harry agreed then turning his attention to the book in her lap. "What are you reading there?"

"Oh this?" Hermione asked holding up the book, "It's called Psychology of Superheroes by Talmie Ansle. Trying to figure out if I'm really dating a raving lunatic or not. Especially after that little stunt you pulled with me and Ron on your bike," She smiled lovingly at her boyfriend. "According to this, with your background you should be a raving maniac like Frank Castle. I'm just glad you're not … yet." She finished with a playful smirk.

"Gee thanks for the faith, Love," Harry chuckled leaning forward and kissing her forehead. "I'm going to go get a bite to eat in the kitchen, I'll be back to walk you back to your room in an hour."

"Tell Dobby and Winky I said hi, Harry," Hermione chimed, burying her nose back into her book.

---

After Professor Xavier recovered, the X-Men and Order of the Phoenix met in Professor Dumbledore's office.

"News of the attack on your mansion has already spread through the wizardry world," Dumbledore said to the gathered Mutants. "This could be a blessing in disguise, Professor Snape has something I believe you all will be interested in knowing, especially you, Harry." The aged Headmaster said turning his attention to a shadowy corner that Snape walked out of.

"Voldemort wants the Sentinels, and he's planning a major offensive with The Brotherhood of Mutants and the Giants to take the construction plant and take the Sentinel army for his own," Snape informed.

"Should the X-Men stop this attack, and save the lives of the Ministry's wizards and scientists, perhaps we could get a bit of public sympathy, thus avoiding anymore unsanctioned attacks," Xavier rubbed his chin.

"And finally end this war," Harry said, his eyes sharp and not leaving Dumbledore's face.

"Indeed, this will be the perfect time for you to finally corner Voldemort, Harry, and end his reign of terror," Dumbledore nodded, and everyone seemed to agree with the exception of Cyclops and Wolverine.

"Bull shit, Al," Logan snarled, "he's not even a full-fledged wizard yet! How's he gonna take on a old, bastard wizard?"

"His education at Hogwarts and now New Hogwarts is in fact not complete, and while he is not, as you put it, old friend, a 'full-fledged wizard' he is in fact a fully-trained, and battle tested X-Man, and I feel that he is ready. He is the only one who can defeat Voldemort, that is to say … unless you feel you can do it?" Dumbledore asked, eyeing down his half-moon spectacles at the feral X-Man.

Logan let out a low growl, but backed down.

"When is Magneto and Voldemort planning their attack?" Cyclops asked, his uneasiness showing in his voice.

"Tomorrow, planning to hit them around lunch time, when guard shift changes," Snape informed, "Now if you'll excuse me, I must prepare for my class." with that the potions master exited the room through a shadow.

"Ok, we have the location of the construction plant," Xavier said, nodding as the plan formulated, "Cyclops, you will take the full team, along with the best fighters in Dumbledore's Order. With their help you will enter the plant early, and set up a trap. We're going to settle everything tomorrow. Priority is taking down Voldemort." The wheelchair bound psychic then turned to Harry, "The X-Men will back you up the whole way, son."

"He's right, Harry," Cyclops clamped a comforting hand on his adopted son's shoulder, "We've got your back, and I'm looking forward to seeing you kick his ass back to where ever he came from."

"Yeah, Harry," Kitty chimed in as she and Kurt took their place at his side. "We stand together."

"Thanks, guys," Harry smiled at his teammates, his family, "But if something goes wrong," he said turning to Kitty and Kurt, "don't let Ron and Hermione do anything uncalled for, ok?"

"Won't have to worry about that," Kurt nodded.

"Well then, I believe you should all rest until tomorrow morning," Xavier said to his X-Men. "The X-Jet will launch at sunrise, be ready."

Harry nodded and left the office in search of Ron.

---

"There you are," Harry said as he walked into the Great Hall to find Ron sitting alone nibbling on a corncob.

"What's up, Harry?" Ron asked turning to his best friend.

"I need to ask you for a favor," Harry said staring up at the slowly setting sun through the large windows walling the massive hall.

"Sure, what do you need?" Ron asked, a smirking slightly.

"Tomorrow's the day, Ron, I'm taking on Voldemort tomorrow," Harry said in a serious yet slightly quivering voice.

"Really?" Ron blanched, "When do we leave?"

"We're not, me and the X-Men are leaving at sunrise tomorrow," Harry said, still not meeting his friend's gaze.

"But Harry … what if … we've always faced him together, at least tried to anyway," Ron reasoned.

"Not this time, mate," Harry shook his head.

"But Harry … Hermione won't like this 'tall."

"Hermione won't know about this," Harry said, making Ron's jaw drop.

"What?" Ron gasped, "Harry, she'll bloody kill you!"

"No she won't," Harry chuckled nervously, "I'm going to tell her I have a mission with the team in the morning, and I'll be back by dinner. It will finally be over. Ron, it's finally going to be all over!"

"I … I don't like the idea of you taking him on without us there to back you up," Ron said unhappily.

"Ron, if something does go wrong, if I don't make it back," Harry said, seriously locking eyes with his unofficial brother, "Watch over Hermione and take care of things for me."

"Nothing's going to go wrong," Ron grinned, "You've kicked his sorry arse how many times now? Just make sure to get a shot in for me and Hermione before you finish him off!" Harry nodded, and Ron stood up, "Jubs is waiting, I take it this is why she wanted to speak to me alone after dark, huh? Not sure why you came to be before your girlfriend … get your stupid arse to Hermione."

Harry laughed and the two young men went separate ways to their respective significant other's room.

---

Hermione stretched out in her bed and felt Harry's side of the bed empty but still warm. She sat up, clutching the bed sheet to her bare chest. She found him seated at the foot of the bed, dressed in his X-Men uniform, and lacing up his combat boots.

"Harry, what is it?" Hermione asked, a feeling of dread washing over her, "Something's wrong isn't there?"

"Oh, hey, didn't mean to wake you …" Harry said, glancing back at her.

"So you were just going to leave without saying goodbye?" Hermione asked half-hurt.

"I thought last night was a pretty good goodbye, you didn't seem to complain except when I started to wear down," Harry said, smiling slyly.

Hermione rolled her eyes but still blushed, "You're incorrigible, Harry Potter."

"Thank you, Ms. Granger," Harry laughed before turning serious. "Hermione, it's just a mission like any other, we'll be back before dark. But I do promise that everything will be a lot better after today."

Harry then walked over and gave her a deep, passionate kiss, "I love you," Hermione said, the dread refusing to leave the pit of her stomach.

"Hermione, when I get back, I'm going to tell you something I should have a long time ago," Harry smiled, kissing her forehead, "See you tonight."

"Ok, good luck, Harry, and …" Hermione forced the years and the sobs from escaping, "Please, please be careful."

"I'll be back before you know it," Harry said kissing her one last time before walking out of the room.

Hermione sat there in silence before pulling on a robe and walking over to gaze out her window, and as she watched the X-Jet take off and fly off into the early morning sky, she couldn't help but feel that this was the last time she'd see Harry alive …

To Be Continued …

Next and final chapter (excluding epilogue): Mage vs. Voldemort, let the endgame begin!