Unofficial Portkey Archive

HPX2: Harry Potter & The Secrets of Weapon X by Classic Cowboy
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

HPX2: Harry Potter & The Secrets of Weapon X

Classic Cowboy

A/N the song in this chapter is 'Rain' by Seat Belts from the anime 'Cowboy Bebop's final episode.

Chapter 16: Death Trap

"I can't take this," Hermione growled, pacing back and forth in the common room. Ron, Neville and Ginny were sitting on the couch watching her wear a line in the rug. "We need to find out where he went, and get there to help him! I refuse to let him do something so stupid by himself!"

"Um, Hermione, I know you're not used to this," Ron started, "Merlin knows, I'm not, but I'm going to have to be the voice of reason here. We don't know where he went, and we already know Dumbledore isn't talking. Even after you threatened to hex him to the quote 'goddamn dark side of the moon', which I might add cost us 60 house points. He won't give us any info on where he went, so you may as well calm down and wait for him to come back."

"Plus, Potter's not even really alone you know, he's got a whole gang of freaks with him to keep him breathing," a voice drawled from behind them.

Hermione jumped when a wing slapped her in the back of the head as Draco Malfoy walked past her.

"Malfoy!" Ron growled standing up, "How did you get in here! Ginny, did you give him the password?"

"I don't know the rutty password, Weasel, I got in through the window up there." Draco pointed to a window that stood ajar further up in the tower. "I just wanted to know what the hero situation was these days."

Draco sighed and sat down in one of the chairs. "Hmm these are nice, Gin. You never said how nice a common room you have, I'm quite impressed." Draco said looking around the red and gold decorated room.

"What do you want?" Hermione growled, narrowing her eyes at the winged Slytherin.

"I already told you, well, it was two reasons, I wanted to say hi to Ginny, and I also wanted to see how you two were holding up being bench warmers now."

Ron and Hermione both tried to grab for Draco but Ginny and Neville reached them first and struggled to hold them back. "Oh calm down, I'm just having some fun with you two, and Granger you need to relax, he's coming back. He's not going anywhere till I beat him, once and for all," the blonde said knowingly.

The group fell into silence, watching Hermione gaze out the common room window with a large amount of concern reflected in her eyes.

---

"Alright, Wolverine," Cyclops said to the gathered group of X-Men who were sheltered under the hidden X-Jet that protected them from the tempest Storm had created to cover their arrival. "I want you to lead alpha group in to check out the security. Take Mage, Jubilee, Shadowcat, Nightcrawler, Colossus, Gambit, Rogue, and Storm." Cyclops turned to the rest of the group. "Psylocke, Beast, Iceman, Scarlet Witch, Banshee, Moody, Lupin and Tonks will stay here with Professor Xavier and me watching for your signal. We'll cover your escape, should something go sour."

"Don't worry your little one-eyed head, Bub," Logan smiled avoiding any eye contact with the Aurors that were still loyal to Dumbledore who accompanied them, especially Lupin and Moody. "We'll be in and out, and get Mage back before Granger's pulled her bushy hair out."

"Then lets get started," Cyclops nodded, before making eye contact with Harry, "And be careful. None of you … NONE of you try to be the hero."

The group that remained watched their comrades disappear into the dense forest that hid the Ministry's Sentinel factory. "Think they'll be ok, Professor, think we'll be ok?" Cyclops asked as he stepped into the cockpit of the X-Jet.

"I don't know, Scott," Xavier answered honestly, "Time will tell, all we can do is be ready to fight when the time comes."

---

Wolverine and alpha group slowly made their way into the dark, half-magical-half-mechanical factory where the army of giant humanoid killing machines was being constructed.

"Stay on your toes," Wolverine whispered, his enhanced senses pushed to their max. "I don't see or smell nothin' but that don't mean jack." The Canadian turned to Harry, "You sense anything, Runt?"

"Nope, not a thing," Harry said, reaching out with his psychic abilities, "But my scar's killing me, he has to be close."

"Wait …" Wolverine stopped, suddenly, "Where's the security? I know it was time for a switch, but there had to be somebody!"

"That means, either they weren't expecting anything …" Harry blinked, growing slightly pale.

"Or it could be a trap, huh, Love?" What sounded like Hermione's voice came from the shadows, and the group was bathed in blinding light.

The light dimmed enough for the surprised X-Men to find them selves being watched over by Minister Umbridge, Lucius Malfoy, Arthur Weasley, Sinistra, and a rather large group of Aurors.

"We walked right into a trap!" Wolverine growled, unsheathing his claws.

"Hem-hem," Umbridge cleared her throat then laughed, "That's one terrorist group out of the way, now all we have to do is deal with Riddle and his little want-to-be threat."

"Professor! Cyclops!" Wolverine called into his radio.

"They can't hear you," Umbridge laughed, smiling sinisterly at the group. "And we've also put a thought shielding charm on the factory, you can't call for help either, Potter."

Umbridge turned to Malfoy. "Ok, Arthur, Lucius, activate the Sentinels, I want them all dead."

"Hey, you fat toad, that wasn't part of the deal!" Sinistra growled, her hands and eyes glowing red, "You said you wouldn't hurt Harry!"

"Oops, I'm terribly sorry, my dear," Umbridge smiled weakly, "I lied. Kill them all."

"No."

Everyone turned in surprise to Lucius Malfoy. "What do you mean 'No'?" Umbridge barked, "I'm the Minister of Magic! Nobody, NOBODY, tells me NO!"

"I mean, no, the Sentinels will not be used to kill them and you can not order them to either," Lucius smiled.

"And why, pray tell, NOT?" Umbridge blanched as she whined like a spoiled child.

"Because they no longer belong to you or the Ministry," Lucius laughed, "They belong to my Lord and Master."

"What?" Umbridge blanched.

"Oh hell …" Wolverine groaned before he suddenly found himself flying through the air then held tightly by his very skeleton to a steel beam.

"Two traps in one day," Gambit pulled out his deck, "Gambit tinks we not doing so hot."

Several loud pops sounded and multiple bellowed 'Avada Kadavra's echoed through the quiet factory. Suddenly, half of the Ministry Aurors dropped to the ground from the killing curse.

"Brotherhood, Deatheaters, secure the area!" Magneto ordered, floating through the entrance, he was accompanied momentarily by his Brotherhood of Mutants and Wormtail.

"What kept you losers," Sinistra asked as she walked to stand beside Malfoy, glaring down at the Master of Magnetism, "I thought you'd never get here."

"We have to get Wolverine down, and get out of here," Harry hissed under his breath. With an imperceptible nod, Jubilee gripped Nightcrawler's arm and they vanished in a cloud of sulfur. They appeared a moment later |directly in front of the Master of Magnetism and Jubilee exploded a flash of her trademark fireworks in Magneto's face. The surprise attack startled him, breaking the hold he had on Wolverine.

"You ok? D-Wolverine?" Harry asked with concern as he helped the feral X-Man back to his feet.

"Yeah..." Wolverine growled then blinked at what he'd heard, but shook it off, thinking he had heard wrong. "We gotta bail!"

"THEY'RE GETTING AWAY!" Toad and Blob cried and started after the retreating X-Men. They stopped suddenly when a red energy blast hit the floor right in front of Blob causing him to tumble on top of the much smaller Toad.

Magneto and Lucius glared at the innocently whistling Sinistra before turning back to the slowly retreating Umbridge. "And were do you think you're going, my dear?" Magneto asked, as he manipulated the magnetic fields around her jewelry and pulling her back into the limelight.

"You know, you fat cow, I've been meaning to say something to you for sometime now," Lucius said as he stalked menacingly towards the pale Minister. He slowly unsheathed his wand as he approached her now cowering frame. With an evil glint in his eyes he raised his instrument of magic above his head and began an incantation. "Avada ..."

---

Mud and water splattered as Harry, Wolverine, Storm, Jubilee, Shadowcat, Nightcrawler, Colossus, Gambit, and Rogue ran down the muddy path.

"We have to get to the jet!" Storm ordered from behind.

A figure suddenly appeared in front of them forcing them to complete stop and taking battle stances.

"Hello, Potter," Voldemort hissed, "Why are you leaving so soon?"

"Voldemort …" Harry snarled.

"What's wrong, Mage is it? Afraid to face me alone?" Voldemort laughed.

"X-Men stand together," Shadowcat said bravely, stepping up to stand at Harry's side.

"How sweet," Voldemort sighed, "I get to rob you of yet another loving family, it's a pity."

"Get to the X-Jet," Harry whispered dangerously, "This is my fight."

"No, Harry …" Shadowcat started but Wolverine touched her shoulder and shook his head.

"Alright Runt," he said seriously, "We'll be back to pick you up. Can you hold on that long?"

"I think so," Harry nodded, "Now get going, I'll hold off Voldie," He said giving Voldemort a smirk that would make Wolverine proud.

"I have no problem with that," Voldemort nodded, not taking his snake-like eyes off Harry, "I will kill them all later, but I would prefer to kill you alone, Harry. So that I can thoroughly enjoy your demise."

"Bring it on … Bub," Harry said, earning a grin from Wolverine.

The X-Men ran toward the X-Jet, some more reluctant then others.

"Ok then, shall we begin?" Harry asked drawing his wand and running a hand through his soaked hair.

Harry started to say a spell when a voice called behind him, "Avada Kadavra!"

Harry turned to see a green beam heading toward him, and he had no time to escape. 'Hermione …' He thought one last time as he was tackled to the ground, safely out of the killing curse's path.

"Stupid Pettigrew," Sinistra growled still pinning Harry to the ground but glaring at Wormtail who was watching from the sidelines surprised his spell missed. "Needs to learn to play fair." She turned her crimson eyes on the young X-Man. "Are you ok, Lover?"

"Sinistra?" Harry asked surprised.

"Don't get used to it," She said jumping to her feet, "I just didn't want to see you die like a bitch like in my dreams, that's all. Not like I care about you or anything."

She then pulled him to his feet, "I'll keep tubby there out of your hair," She said thumbing at Wormtail, "Now fight Voldie Baby, you both deserve a fair fight."

"Whatever you say," Harry shrugged, retrieving his wand, "Thanks anyway, Sinistra."

"Don't mention it," Sinistra beamed, "Enjoy being killed fairly!" she waved as she ran toward the now frightened and running Wormtail.

"Ok, Tom," Harry said turning to the glaring Dark Lord, "I'm tired of running from you, let's finish this."

"I too tire of this game, Harry," Voldemort approached his longtime rival, "Let this be our final battle."

The two continued to stare each other down when finally Voldemort cast a curse Harry's way. Harry, not really caring what it did, jumped to the side, using his telekinetically enhanced speed to easily dodge the attack. He quickly returned with a spell of his own, but that was mostly for a distraction.

"You never liked Muggle fighting styles did you, Tom?" Harry asked as he quickly got in Voldemort's space and kneed him in the abdomen followed by a backhanded punch.

"You've learned a lot since we first met officially, Harry," Voldemort said, apparating a few yards away to put some distance between them.

"You're not going to win," Harry said before running toward him again, unfortunately Voldemort was ready this time.

Just as Harry stepped up to the Dark Lord, Voldemort brought his wand up and bellowed "PETRIFICUS TOTALUS!" the spell flew forward and hit Harry right in the chest.

"You … bastard …" Harry growled out, barely able to move even with the use of his telekinesis.

"Such language from a hero!" Voldemort laughed.

"I'm still going to beat you," Harry growled, "even if you stop me, my friends will finish what I started."

"You sound like your father!" Voldemort smiled evilly, "Such a strong sense of justice, such bad comedy."

Voldemort glanced around the area, "Where are your X-Men? Where are your friends? Where is your mentor Dumbledore? Where is your Hermione or her twisted copy?"

--

I don't feel a thing

And I stopped remembering

The days are just like moments turned to hours

--

"You're all alone, Harry," Voldemort grinned venomously, "Alone in the rain with me ... and death."

"I'm never alone," Harry forced out through his stiffened jaw.

--

Mother used to say

If you want, you'll find a way

--

"It has been fun, Harry Potter," Voldemort said, raising his wand, watching the X-Jet approach them from the corner of his eye.

"You have been a very worthy rival, and it may come at little relief, but you have my respect," Voldemort bowed slightly, and aimed the wand point blank to Harry's chest.

"Avada Kadavra."

--

Bet mother never danced through fire shower

--

The green beam hit Harry's chest and the light faded from his green eyes. He slowly stumbled backwards, his breath escaping his now limp jaw in a gasp before he hit the ground with a thud, splashing the puddle around him.

The Boy-Who-Lived, the wizarding world's last hope, had failed.

--

Walk in the rain, in the rain, in the rain

I walk in the rain, in the rain

Is it right or is it wrong

And is it here that I belong

--

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!" Wolverine called out, racing madly for the hatch. A transformed Colossus could barely hold him back. "HARRY! NO!!"

"Logan … Scott, I'm sorry," Professor Xavier's trembling voice said softly, "He's … he's gone …"

"Oh god …" Scott sat back in his chair roughly, feeling bile rising in his throat.

--

I don't hear a sound

Silent faces in the ground

The quiet screams, but I refuse to listen

--

"Rogue, you're going to have to stop him before he gets us all killed," Xavier said to the stunned woman sitting in the cockpit.

Rogue gave a weak nod and made her way to the hatch where Colossus was barely holding on to the distraught Wolverine, "Sugah, you gotta calm down, don't let Harry's d-death be for nothin' …" She said pulling off her glove and touching the bare skin of his face.

As Logan fell to the deck, he began mumbling various words. The only the words that were recognizable were 'Harry' and 'Lily'. As his memories flooded her mind, Rogue brought her hand to her mouth in shock, "Oh mah stars … he's … Harry's your … oh mah stars …"

--

If there is a hell

I'm sure this is how it smells

--

"Lets … go back …" Xavier said, wiping away his own tears, "Storm, take us back to New Hogwarts. We've lost enough today.

The cockpit was quiet except for the occasional sobs from the girls and Cyclops. In the back Shadowcat clung to Nightcrawler to the point the Blue Elf was almost in tears from not only the loss of his close friend but also from the pain of the girl's grip.

"Why?" Shadowcat whimpered in the Elf's chest, "Why?"

"I don't know, Kitten, I don't know," he said running his fingers through her hair.

--

Wish this were a dream, but no, it isn't

--

Nightcrawler bowed his head after he glanced around at the fallen faces of his comrades ... his family. His heart ached for the loss of his newest brother and close friend. Taking solace the only way he knew, he brought his hands together and began to whisper. His voice grew stronger until everyone aboard the understood what he was saying and the tears and sobs flowed more forcefully.

"Our Father, who art in heaven, Hallowed be thy Name. ... Thy kingdom come ... Thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. ..." He choked back a sob and continued to the last word. "... For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever and ever. ... Amen."

--

Walk in the rain, in the rain, in the rain

I walk in the rain, in the rain

Am I right or am I wrong

And is it here that I belong

--

"He said he'd be back by now …" Hermione said, her hand now trembling too much to hold a fork to continue eating.

"Relax, he's probably already back, just in debriefing or something," Ron said sympathetically, placing a hand on the girl's trembling shoulder.

"No, something's wrong … I can feel it, something's very wrong …" Hermione shook her head, fighting back the worried tears threatening to spill forth from her chocolate eyes.

--

Walk in the rain, in the rain, in the rain

I walk in the rain, in the rain

--

"Ms. Granger, Mr. Weasley," Professor McGonagall said in her usual stern voice as she approached the table. But when the two parts of the Golden Trio looked up, both felt their stomachs lurch at the sadness in her eyes, "Come with me, Professor Dumbledore wishes to have a word with the both of you in his office."

Ron and Hermione glanced at each other before standing up and following the teacher out of the Great Hall.

--

Why do I feel so alone?

--

A few moments later the halls of New Hogwarts were silenced by the loud, heartbreaking wails of Hermione Granger echoing from the Headmaster's office.

--

For some reason I think of home

--