Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Mixed Tape by Iloveharrypotter17
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Mixed Tape

Iloveharrypotter17

Dislcaimer: I do not own:

Harry Potter

Snow Patrol

Or "Chasing Cars"

A/N: No lyrics this time. I'm sure you guys know most of them. Hopefully you do at least. I love this song! Lol

"Chasing Cars" by Snow Patrol

"Come on," Lily said as she gave his hand a little tug.

James stared at his girlfriend. His girlfriend, no one else's. he was lucky, he was happy, he was on the verge of falling in love again. It scared him a bit, but was exhilarating.

"What do you want to do?" Lily asked him, looking into his eyes.

She was tired, exhausted, but her body had too much adrenaline. She was a little kid on a short-lived sugar high, just running before she crashed. It had only been two weeks since she had returned and despite James' subtle initial resistance, she had worked her way perfectly into his life again. He didn't want to do anything with her, just being with her was enough.

He smiled a little smile, having an idea. He got up but Lily's voice stopped him.

"What are we going to do? I told Eva I'd let her know what we were doing."

"Eva can take care of herself."

"Well what about Sirius? Didn't you tell him you'd meet up with him in Diagon Alley?" Lily prompted.

"We don't need him Lily, we're perfectly fine by ourselves. Don't you trust me when we're alone?" James asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Oh stop," Lily laughed. He gave her a quick kiss.

"Can't we go to Diagon Alley? I need some supplies," Lily continued.

James smiled, "You don't need them right now. We don't need anyone or anything, not when we're together."

Lily rolled her eyes but smiles nonetheless.

He walked into the hallway and extracted a large blanket from the mostly empty linen closet.

"What are you doing?" Lily asked as she peeked her head out of the doorway of the lounge.

He didn't reply and walked away from her towards the door that led outside to the small garden. With his back to her, she couldn't see the smile on his lips.

"James? James what are you doing?" Lily said as she stepped into the hallway, just as James disappeared out the door. "James Potter!" Lily cried out as she dashed down the hall and outside after him. He laid the blanket down on the ground and laid on top of it, his face towards the sky. "What are you doing?"

"Come lay with me," James said and motioned to the empty space next to him on the blanket.

Lily gave him a look which clearly expressed that she thought him insane, but he didn't see it for he was only looking at the sky. She looked around, and found no one or nothing to tell that anything was going on. She couldn't shake the feeling of suspicion as she laid down next to him. Lily peered into the sky, searching for what James found so interesting. After a few moments of silence she asked, "What are we doing?"

"Don't do anything, Lil. Just forget the world even exists. Just lie here with me."

"Can't we do something?"

"Just look at the stars, love," James replied.

Lily stared at the sky for a few more moments, trying to find whatever it was that he wanted her to find. "Can't we do something else?" she asked as she sat upright.

"No," James replied. He tugged on her arm gently. She turned her body so she was adjacent to him and laid her head on his stomach. "What are you thinking about?" James asked, although he knew she found it hard to stay still in one place. That was one reason that she loved her job. Lily turned her head towards his and smiled, then she looked upwards. He was terribly afraid that Lily would grow tire of him and would move on. She had proved before that it was only too easy for her.

"I'm thinking about you, and how you're the only person who would drag me outside to see the stars," Lily said.

"Is that a good ting of a bad thing?"

"It's a good thing. You're very comfortable."

"Thanks. Do you see that star, the one right past the neighbor's chimney?"

"Yeah, is that the North Star?"

"Yes."

"I haven't looked at the stars since our last Astronomy class," Lily said, searching the sky for any constellations that she remembered.

"Do you miss it?" James asked. "Hogwarts?"

"Sometimes. I don't miss the classes or most of the professors, but I miss the safety I felt there. Like nothing could ever go too wrong just because I was at Hogwarts."

"I'll always protect you, Lily," James said softly, then instantly regretted it. She would think it was some kind of line.

Lily reached for his hand and held it. "I know you will."

James smiled. He was safe. But even better, Lily would be safe because he would never let anything hurt her and she would let him.

They laid there together for a little while before Lily broke the silence. "I'm sorry James," she said as she sat up straight, looking at him.

He knew she was sorry, but he was glad to hear her say it. "I know."

"No, I truly am," Lily repeated and laid down next to him on her side and James turned his body so he could see her face better. "I love you."

He loved her. He really did and he knew it. It was a fact, that had never changed. Even after she left he still loved her. It didn't seem enough somehow, just to say those three tiny little words. They could not possibly express what he felt for her. He doubted any words could. Yet those three words were all he had at the moment. "I love you too."

She smiled at him and looked around them as best as she could while lying on the ground. Her eyes stopped at what appeared to be a garden. She immediately got up and inspected the neighbor's little garden. She touched the soft petals of the flowers. She bent down to smell them, they smelled wonderful, filling her nose with their sweet perfume. James wrapped his arms around her waist, and she stood up and leaned against him. She picked one of the taller flowers and put it to his nose.

"Smells good," James said with a nod. Lily smiled in agreement and placed it behind her ear.

"It's so full of life, I've always wanted a garden," Lily said softly to herself.

"You can still have one," James said. "I'll help you if you'd like."

"That's sweet but I'd probably ruin it. I don't have much of a green thumb."

"I'm sure you do, if you would only try."

"My mum said that I didn't when I was younger. She was disappointed that I didn't have it like she did."

"Nonsense. You just haven't tried it lately," James replied, not letting her think that she was bad at something. He took her hand and led her back to the blanket. He sat down and Lily gracefully sat beside him. She stretched her arms and placed them behind her and leaned back on them. She moved so gracefully, he knew he could never imitate her moves. She did everything with such precision that it would be impossible to copy her. The only time he had ever achived such grace was on the Quidditch pitch, but he decided not to be too hung up about it. He laid down on his side, turned towards her. Lily slid her arms back, lowering her body to the ground. She leaned on her elbow, then laid on it so they were face-to-face. He gazed into her gorgeous eyes. He loved her eyes. He loved how they laughed and gave away her feelings when her mouth refused to. But most of all, he loved looking into them, feeling that she was looking right into his and at his very soul. No on else had the power to do that. He felt for her hand and held it in his. He didn't want anything to change from that moment. He did not know how he could be so lucky, how she found his way back to him, but it really did not matter. He could have laid like that with her next to him forever.

A/N: Long time no update, I know. But 'tis life.

I started writing this before this song was on the radio or on MTV. I couldn't bear to not use the stuff that I had once the song became popular.