Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Mixed Tape by Iloveharrypotter17
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Mixed Tape

Iloveharrypotter17

A/N: So this one really doesn't follow the lyrics that much. But it's still very fitting. Plus this song is great. After this, there's only two more.

"Walk Away (Maybe)" by Good Charlotte

"Hey James, have you seen my pearl necklace?" Lily asked him the second she apparated into his flat.

"I haven't seen it," he replied, looking up from the book in his lap.

"Damn it. I need it," Lily swore as she stomped her foot against the floor.

James looked her up and down, from her slightly curled hair to her black cocktail dress, to the heels she was wearing, it was obvious that she was going out to impress.

"Where are you going?" he asked Lily who was walking around the room lifting and looking behind objects for her necklace.

"Oh, Eva and I are going out," Lily shrugged nonchalantly as she picked up a stack of magazines on the coffee table and set them back down.

"Where to?"

"What does it matter?" Lily snapped, her temper flaring. "You're not my keeper."

"Of course not, I'm just your fiancé, why should I care about where you're going?"

"We're just going out for drinks," she replied tartly. "That is, if that's okay with you," she added scathingly.

"Oh well of course it is dear," James retorted sarcastically as he stood up from his place on the couch.

"So glad to have your permission honey."

"Glad to give it babe."

"This is ridiculous!" Lily shouter, her face scowling, hands clenched into fists. "I don't need your permission to go out if I choose to!"

"I'm so glad that you can make plans to go out with Eva, but not even bother talking to me for days."

"Rubbish, I just talked to you yester," Lily dismissed him with a wave of her hand.

"Yes, because I came to your flat. You never come to mine to see me. You only come if you need something, otherwise you wouldn't even know what it looks like."

"I'm going to be late," Lily said and walked towards the hallway.

"You can't just leave, we need to talk," James told her.

"I'm late already," she mused as she headed for the front door.

"Is going out for drinks really more important than us?"

"She's going to wonder what's holding me up," Lily muttered, loud enough for James to hear as she reached for the door.

"Wait," James commanded.

Her hand dropped back to her side and looked at him, obviously annoyed.

"If you leave now, we're over."

Lily looked at him with a blank face, he couldn't see any emotion whatsoever. The air was suddenly heavy and he found it hard to breathe, his heart beating faster than it ever had before.

Lily took a step forward, towards him.

She took off her engagement ring and held it with her right hand. She held it over the table and opened her hand so that the ring fell onto the tabletop. In one fluid motion she turned around, opened the door, stepped out and closed the door.

She was gone.

James couldn't move from his spot, facing the door.

It was over.

He had hoped that she would prove his fears wrong, that she really did need him. But he was wrong, his fears were right. She was free now.

For a second he considered grabbing the ring and going after her. It was right there, three steps to the table against the wall with his keys lying next to it. They could get back together and everything would be fine.

James took a step forward, then immediately stepped back.

If she really wanted him she would have stayed. Even for five minutes to show that she cared, but no she wasn't even capable of doing that.

He turned around and walked to his bedroom and collapsed on top of his bed. He closed his eye, suddenly exhausted, but the only image that played was the one of Lily walking out the door. He settled for staring at the ceiling.

He had let her leave.

It was easier to walk away than to fix what was wrong with them.

There was always the slight chance that she would come back.

James turned on his side and closed his eyes again.

It was all in her hands.

The thought didn't make him sleep any easier.