Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Mixed Tape by Iloveharrypotter17
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Mixed Tape

Iloveharrypotter17

"Boston" by Augustana

Eva apparated to Lily's flat. She looked around in shock. There were boxes everywhere. Some were full and stacked in piles. Others were sitting on the living room floor half full.

"Lily? Lily where are you?" Eva called out, carefully making her way through the maze of boxes.

"I'm in here Ev," Lily called back.

Eva followed the sound of Lily's voice to the bedroom. "Lily, what are you doing? What's with the boxes?" Eva asked, walking into the room to find Lily's dresser drawer open with her emptying its contents into a suitcase. Different articles of clothing were strewn across the room.

"I'm packing," Lily said simply, not even looking up from her task.

"Packing? Where are you going?"

Lily looked up. "I'm going to Boston."

"What? Lily, you can't be serious," Eva said with a little laugh, waiting for Lily to tell her that she was just moving down the street, not across the ocean.

Lily didn't reply. She just continued packing.

"Lily? You're really moving to Boston?" Eva asked her incredulously.

"I am," Lily said. She zipped the suitcase close and placed it on the floor. She grabbed an empty duffle bag and started to shove the contents of another drawer into it.

"You're not moving to Boston," Eva said disbelievingly.

"Yes, I am Ev," Lily told her.

"You can't!" Eva cried out.

"Why not?" Lily asked her.

"Because you just can't," Eva said. "Lily, I'll miss you if you leave."

"I'll miss you too, but you can always visit me there. Or better yet, why don't you move to Boston with me?" Lily suggested, raising an eyebrow at Eva.

"Lily, you know I can't leave. My life is here, and so is yours. You can't go Lily," Eva repeated.

"My life was here, Ev. There's nothing here for me anymore."

"Yes there is. Your job is here. And your friends," Eva said. "And James is here," Eva added softly.

"I can get a new job. You're the only one I'll miss here Ev. And I could care less where James is. He can go to hell for all I care," Lily said angrily, throwing the duffle bag on the floor.

"Lily, you can't leave James. You love him. I know you do," Eva said.

"I don't," Lily replied forcefully. "I did, and that was a mistake I made."

"It wasn't a mistake and you know that. I can't believe you. You're leaving just because of him. Where's the Lily I know? She wouldn't just pack of and leave because of a guy."

"You don't know what it's like. To have people stare at you. To know that people are whispering about you as soon as you pass them. 'Look, there goes James Potter's ex-fiancé. Oh dear, what happened? I heard…' And it just goes on and on. It's hard to be around him now, I avoid him, Ev. I never thought it would end up like this. It's just easier to leave now."

"Lily, I'm sorry," Eva said, and wrapped her arms around Lily in a hug. When they let go Eva asked, "What did happen between you two?"

"We're too different. I think we fought more than we did before 7th year. I couldn't bear it anymore, Eva. And so I broke it off. I walked out of his flat and left the ring on the side table. I haven't seen him since," Lily said. She got up and started towards another box. "And now I won't have to."

"I thought you two loved each other."

"We did. Sometimes it's not enough."

"It's always enough."

"It wasn't this time."

Eva picked up a stack of picture frames and started packing them in a box. "Lily, why Boston?"

"Because it's different. I hear that they actually have sunshine instead of rain all the time. I'm tired of this weather. No one there will know me or my name. And they won't know my history with him. I can start over there. My cousin says they have beautiful sunrises, I'll be staying with her."

"You're staying with your cousin?"

"Yeah, she has an extra bedroom in her flat, I mean apartment. It's in the middle of the city. It's all set. I'm leaving tonight."

"Tonight?" Eva cried out. "That's too soon! Lily!"

"The sooner I get out of here, the better."

"Lily I'll miss you," Eva said. She continued putting pictures in the box. She lifted a picture frame with a photo in it. She stop and studied it for a moment.

"What are you looking at?" Lily asked her, grabbing the picture from Eva's hands.

Lily's eyes watered staring at the picture. Suddenly she flung it across the room. It hit the wall with a satisfying crash and fell to the floor ending in a pile of shattered glass.

"I'm going to Boston," Lily said determinedly with tears rolling down her face.

A/N: Do you like it? I'm not getting any reviews, so I hope it's alright. Just tell me if you like it or not. Consider it a birthday present for me (since I turned 18 yesterday! Whooot!)