Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Mixed Tape by Iloveharrypotter17
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Mixed Tape

Iloveharrypotter17

"This Is Such A Pity" by Weezer

"Are you alright?" James asked as Lily apparated into his flat looking worn-out.

"I'm fine," Lily snapped. "I'm just a bit tired."

"You look exhausted. What do they have you doing?"

"It's nothing," Lily told him through gritted teeth. "Don't worry about it, I'm fine."

"I'm sorry for worrying about your health," James retorted, then mentally scolded himself. They didn't need another fight. His anger wouldn't help the situation. He didn't mean to get so mad at her all the time. "I'm sorry," he said quickly. "I just worry."

"I know," Lily said softly. He stepped forward and wrapped his arms around her delicate frame and she let out a heavy sigh. "I'm sorry too." She leaned her head against his chest, and he had to wonder how things got so bad that they were at each other's throat for every little thing.

Her body shook in his arms and he realized that she was crying. He pushed her away to see her make-up running down her face in two little black streams against her white skin. He frowned at her, she knew he hated when she wore that ugly black stuff on her eyes. She was pretty enough that she didn't need it and it always seemed to come off. His finger traced the one black stream.

"Why do you wear it? You're so pretty, Lily, you don't need to wear this crap," he said to her softly as he wiped his blackened finger on his pants. And then he bit his tongue, because he knew she would take it the wrong way.

"What does it matter? You have no say in what I choose to put on. It's my decision," she retorted angrily as she stepped out of his arms, staring into his eyes in defiance.

James sighed as he put his arms around her. Her arms hung at her sides.

He wanted to ask her if she was okay, but he knew she would be offended. She would think that he thought she couldn't handle it. So instead he bit his tongue and didn't apologize for getting so mad either.

It seemed that no matter what he said, they always ended up fighting. He didn't want it to be this way, he could feel her anger radiating as he hugged her. It was such a pity that this is what happened.

"Lily," he said softly. "Can we stop fighting? Please?"

She stepped out of his hug. "It's not my fault we fight," she yelled. "You make it sound like it's all my fault. It's not!" She stormed away from him, into the hallway and he heard a door slam.

James shook his head. He didn't want this at all. He didn't even want to know what it would be like if they would actually marry. He heard her slamming pots and around and knew she was in the kitchen. He just wanted a little peace, to be with her and not be arguing. He wondered what the neighbors thought, they were probably about to call the police. And if the police came, what would happen? Did they even have any record of him since he was a wizard? He was a little scared then, maybe they would lock him up in their own form of Azkaban.

He walked into the hallway and opened the kitchen door a tiny bit to see in. Lily was stirring a pot on the stove. He opened the door more and walked into the room. Lily either did not hear him enter or merely did not acknowledge his presence. "What are you making?" he asked.

Lily didn't reply but stirred the contents of the pot.

"Lily, please don't be mad at me. I didn't mean it."

She took the pot off of the stove and slammed it onto the counter.

He was quite surprised that it didn't break from the force of it, metal or not. She wanted him to say he was sorry and that it was all his fault, but he couldn't. It wasn't all his fault. And he knew that she would never apologize. Neither of them would give.

Lily went to one of the cabinets and took out a jar of sauce. She opened it and poured it into the pot and stirred its contents around.

He took out a glass and poured two cups of pumpkin juice while Lily dished out the spaghetti onto two plates and set them down on the table. She took a seat and James placed a glass in front of her and sat down at the other place on the table.

Neither of their eyes looked at anything besides their plate.

They ate in silence.