Unofficial Portkey Archive

Time-Traveling Meddler by Harrys Mistress
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Time-Traveling Meddler

Harrys Mistress

Whew! Finally got a chapter up! Sorry it's been so long! Now that Sleeping over I hope to finish this one up rather quickly. This fic will not be a long one, so just giving you guys a heads up on that. So anyway, here's a chapter and I promise I'll try to put the next one up a little sooner. Thanks everyone! Happy Holidays!

~HM

Chapter 4

"I'm sorry," James said and rushed over to his dad. "I'm so sorry, Dad, I didn't know…he's a great father…I didn't know he'd act like that."

Harry knelt in front of him and clasped his shoulders. "It's okay, James. He was just shocked. You just have to keep remembering how young we are. We're not parents now…you don't technically exist yet."

James looked down at his feet. "But I do. I'm not lying, I really am your son."

"Oh, James," Hermione knelt next to Harry, causing James to look up at her. "That's not what your dad meant, of course you're not lying. Anyone can see that you belong to Harry just by looking at you. It's just that…you're in the past and…you have to be careful what you say. We don't want anything to mess up your future."

"Exactly," Harry said with a nod and gave him a firm pat. "Just keep that in mind, okay?"

James nodded. "All right." He smiled softly then let out a laugh. "I'll try my best to keep quiet about the future."

Harry gave him an encouraging smile and nuzzled his head. "Why don't we all go sit down so we can figure this out, hmm?"

"Actually, I have to go," Ginny said speaking up since Draco's surprise escape. "I promised the new chasers I'd help them with some overtime practicing before dinner."

"All right," Harry said walking over to her. "I…guess I'll see you later."

"I have rounds late tonight and I know you'll be busy with James, so I'll just see you tomorrow, okay?"

Harry shoved his hands in his pockets. "Er…sure. Okay."

Ginny leaned up to kiss him, but Harry turned his head so she would meet his cheek instead. He didn't know why, but he did not feel comfortable kissing Ginny in front of his futuristic son. "I'll talk to you later," he said quickly before retreating back to James.

"What was that all about?" Ron asked once Ginny was gone.

"What?" Harry asked sitting next to James while Hermione sat on the other side.

"That. Brushing her off like that."

"I didn't brush her off, Ron."

"I specifically watched you…"

"I didn't mean to, I just didn't…" Harry let out a sigh. "I just…"

"Didn't want to kiss her in front of me?" James finished for him.

Harry looked over at James frowning. "Do you always do that?"

"Do what?"

"Know what I'm thinking?"

James shrugged. "Pretty much."

Harry looked over at Hermione. "You're the only one who can do it now," Harry said, smiling softly when she blushed.

Ron cleared his throat after a moment of watching his two best friends having a…weird moment. "Er…So, how are we going to get him back?"

Hermione tore her eyes away from Harry. "Oh…right. I guess we should probably go see McGonagall and show her the Time Turner."

"Maybe she can strip it…see how it works," Harry suggested. "If we know how it functions, we could probably send him back the exact time he left."

Hermione nodded. "Good idea. James, why don't we slip the cloak on you and we'll take you to go see Professor McGonagall."

"Minnie?" James asked as his eyes lit up. "I get to see, Minnie?"

Hermione blinked. "Er…Minnie?"

"Sure…Minnie baby-sits us all the time, ever since she retired years back."

"Wow…I can't believe you call her, Minnie."

"We all do, Dad. Even Ron and Draco's kids." James winced suddenly. "Sorry, that's not really being quiet about the future, is it?"

Hermione laughed. "Oh, it's okay James. Stuff like that is harmless. Don't worry. We should get going though, I'm quite anxious to get started." She looked over at Ron and Luna. "Are you two coming along?"

"I'm awfully hungry," Ron said, wincing when his stomach growled. "We'll go down for dinner and ask Dobby to bring back some food for you three."

"I forgot Dobby use to work here," James said after Ron and Luna left.

"Use to?" Harry asked handing him the cloak.

"Well, he works for us now. You hired him a soon as you found out Mum was pregnant with Sirius."

"Really?" he asked with a grin then laughed at Hermione. "I feel like I should be taking notes, I'd hate to forget something."

Hermione smiled. "Well, all I know is, you better be paying him, Harry. I'd hate it if S.P.E.W didn't teach you anything."

James snorted. "Well duh…Of course he's getting paid. There's hardly a house elf out there that won't work without pay."

Hermione's jaw dropped. "Are…Are you serious? House elves get paid?"

James watched her eyes fill with tears as she waited for him to answer. "Yes. Thanks to you."

"Me?" Hermione squeaked, barely registering that Harry had taken her hand for support.

"Well…you are the CEO of S.P.E.W."

Hermione choked back a sob. "I am?" she whispered.

Harry squeezed her hand. "Is that so hard to believe, Hermione?"

She looked up at him, smiling through her tears. "Well, I…it just always seemed so hopeless." Hermione brushed her tears away hastily. "Look at me…I'm a mess. Crying over something so silly."

Harry wiped away a tear she missed. "It's not silly, Hermione, you've always wanted to make a difference with S.P.E.W."

"Yeah," she said shakily and then let out a delightful laugh as she leaned down to hug James. "Thank you, James….thanks for this precious gift."

Although he was embarrassed, he hugged her back. "I didn't really do anything," James said sheepishly when she pulled away."

"Oh, but you did," she said brushing his hair back. "You gave me hope on a dream I thought was dead." She laughed again, but this time jumped in Harry's arms. "Oh, Harry, can you believe it?!"

Harry smiled softly, loving to see how happy this made her. "I always knew you could do it if you tried hard enough." He gave James a wink over her shoulder. "Nothing you can't do."

Hermione blushed as she pulled back. "That's not true, I'm rubbish at Divination."

"Ah, well…who isn't really?"

"I'm a terrible flyer," she reminded him.

Harry laughed. "Well, that's true, I guess you're not perfect after all."

Hermione rolled her eyes. "Ha, ha, very funny. And you will pay for that." Hermione playfully pushed him away and smiled at James. "For now…let's try and get you home."

XXXX

"You're son?" Professor McGonagall repeated with one eyebrow arched upward. "From the future?"

"Yes, mam," Harry said looking at the chair between him and Hermione, where an invisible James was sitting. "He's under the cloak. Go ahead James…you can take it off."

When he revealed himself a small gasp of wonder escaped McGonagall. "Good heavens," she said placing a hand on her heart. "He has so much of you in him…and your father."

"Yeah," Harry said sharing a smile with his son. "He has my eyes…my out of control hair…although he doesn't have my…"

"Nose," McGonagall finished with a hint of a smile. "He has his mother's nose."

Harry blushed as he avoided eye contact with Hermione and shifted uncomfortably in his seat. "Well, I, uh…he's not really saying who that is sooo…I don't…"

"You mean you don't know?"

Harry opened his mouth, only to close it. "I…er…well…no. Do you?"

"Harry, I'd recognize that nose anywhere," she said as her and James shared a little smirk. "It's a shame that you don't."

"But I…"

"James, let me take a look at that Time-Turner," she said cutting Harry off.

"Sure thing, Minnie." James took it off and went over to her desk to hand it over.

"Did you call me, Minnie?" She finally asked after James returned to his seat.

"Oh…right." Harry gave her a awkward smile. "Supposedly all my kids call you that. I hope that's okay."

Minerva's eyes immediately softened and looked at James. "You do?"

James nodded. "Yep, we sure do. You told us to, I hope you don't mind I just…"

"No, no." She shook her head and waved it off. "Don't be silly…I think it's a very sweet name, it's just…" She looked over at Harry and Hermione. "Albus use to call me by that name when he teased me and…it just took me by surprise. That's all." She then immediately straightened in her seat and cleared her throat. "Well…now, let's just take a look at this thing. Yes…definitely a new model…some similarities with today's model, but very different. I'll have to get some experts to study it…see how it works than maybe we can figure out how to get your son home safely."

"How long do you think it will take?" Hermione asked urgently. "The longer he's here, the more danger there is for him being exposed."

"Or changing the future," Harry added. "Professor, I don't want the Ministry getting wind of this…please make sure you twist the truth a little when you explain the situation to the experts."

"I understand," she said with a nod. "Not to worry, I won't even mention your name."

Harry smiled gratefully. "Thanks."

McGonagall nodded. "Now…the best thing to do is for James to sit tight and stay in your living quarters as much as possible. Do not go out without the cloak, if you do decide to leave."

"Yes, Professor," Hermione assured her. "We'll be careful."

"I'll be in touch…this will be my first and main priority."

Harry nodded. "Yeah…okay. Thanks. Let's go James…maybe we can try and get you something to eat."

"I can never say no to food," he said cheerfully as he hopped up from his feet. "Bye Minnie!"

Harry watched as McGonagall's eyes softened once more. "Bye James. It's been a pleasure."