Unofficial Portkey Archive

Time-Traveling Meddler by Harrys Mistress
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Time-Traveling Meddler

Harrys Mistress

Yeah baby! An update already! I'm so good! Man, I'm kind of shocked, as you all know I normally don't update two days in a row. Enjoy it while you can, because I promise it doesn't happen a lot! Thanks for all the great reviews!!

Chapter 5

"It's weird to think about it, isn't it?" Ron asked Luna as they made their way out of the Great Hall. "All of us married…having kids."

"I don't know if I do or not," Luna said. "James hasn't said anything."

"Of course you will, LuLu," Ron said playfully nudging her. "Who wouldn't want to marry you?"

Luna sighed. "I'm all sorts of weird and abnormal."


Ron laughed as he threw an arm around her. "I happen to like you that way."

Luna blushed as she looked away. "What about you, Ronald?" She didn't look at him, but slipped an arm around his waist. "Who do you think the mother of your Mallory is?"

"Haven't the slightest idea," he said with a shrug.

"Do you think it's Hermione?"

"No."

Luna stopped, making him pause as well. "You answered that rather quickly," she said looking up at him.

Ron pondered for a moment, realizing what he just said, then flashed a quick smile as he gave a little shrug. "Yeah, I guess I did."

Ron started to walk away but Luna grabbed his hand and pulled him back. "I don't understand," Luna said shaking her head. "I thought…you and Hermione were together."

"Why would you say that?"

"Well…I did walk in on you two snogging that day at your brother's wedding."

"Aww jeez, that was awkward, wasn't it?" Ron laughed. "I'd hardly call that snogging, it was barely even a kiss."

"But I thought…"

"Luna, if you can count the number of times you've kissed the girl with one hand….it's hardly a relationship."

"Oh. Well…how long has it been since you've kissed?"

"That day you walked in on us." Ron gave a little shrug. "During the war, there just wasn't enough time and we…just never talked about it."

"Don't you think you should? Maybe she'll want to start something."

"No," Ron said with a small smile. "Hermione and I are just friends. Always have been, really."

"James looks a lot like Harry," Luna blurted out suddenly before Ron could walk away again.

Ron lifted a brow. "Yyyyeaaah," he said carefully not knowing where she was going with this. "Practically identical."

"Practically," Luna repeated. "Except for his nose."

Ron shoved his hands in his pockets. "Right."

"I know where he got that nose, Ronald," Luna said patiently as she linked her hands in front of her. "I think you do, too."

Ron was silent for a moment, not knowing what to say. It was when Luna gave him a questioning look, when Ron sighed in defeat. "Yeah…Yeah, I guess I do." He gave a little laugh, shaking his head in wonder as he began to continue on, but once again was pulled back in place. "Lulu," he said with an exasperating laugh. "You're acting very weird and abnormal."

Luna smiled brightly. "I thought you liked me like that."

"Hard not to, but…"

"My mother's name was Mallory."

"..you're being very…" Ron trailed off when her words registered. "What?"

"My mother." She cocked her head to the side and smiled. "Her name was Mallory."

Ron shook his head and laughed. "But that's my daughter's name."

"Hmm…how bout that?"

Ron paled and his jaw dropped. "Luna…"

"I gotta run." Luna leaned into him and gave him a soft kiss on the cheek. "See you tomorrow, Ronald."

Ron couldn't seem to do or say anything, so he stood there as he watched her walk away. His eyes couldn't help but travel downwards as he admired the look of Luna's backside. "Woah," he said shaking his head clear. "Bloody hell, did I just check out Luna's bum?"

Yeah, ya did, a voice that sounded a lot like Harry said to him. And you liked what you checked out.

"Oh, sod it," Ron muttered as he made his way back to the common room. What did that mean? Why would he name his daughter after Luna's mum? The only reason he could think of would be if….

"Bloody hell."

Ron immediately quickened his steps, now running to Harry and Hermione's common room. He found them sitting at a table by the window, finishing up dinner that Dobby had taken them. "Hey," Ron said plopping down in an extra chair.

"Hey Ron," Harry said as he finished off his shepherds pie.

"You okay?" Hermione asked when he noticed the distress look on his face.

"No. Yes." Ron shook his head. "I don't know."

"You're not freaking out about being a dad too, are you?" James asked as he set down his pumpkin juice.

"No…Well, it is a rather frightening thought but…no." Ron cleared his throat as he shifted in his chair. "Actually…can I ask you something?"

"Sure."

"Do I marry Luna?"

Harry choked on his pumpkin juice, coughing uncontrollably while James patted him on the back. "Don't answer that," he croaked, gratefully accepting Hermione's goblet of water and sucking it down. "Don't answer that," he repeated coughing a few times more before finally getting his breath back. "Ron, what are you thinking? Asking that here in front of Hermione?"

"Why would I care?"

Harry looked across at Hermione. "Because he's your boyfriend."

Hermione tickled out a laugh. "No he's not."

"Jeez, why does everyone think that?" Ron asked with a roll of his eyes. "I mean, yeah…we had our moments and yes…we attempted to share a few kisses, which failed miserably….er…no offense, Hermione."

Hermione held up a hand. "Please. None taken."

Ron grinned and then shrugged at Harry. "We're just friends."

Harry was still yet convinced. "The two of you always had something going on though. I just thought…"

"Harry," Hermione sighed. "The only thing Ron and I have between us is annoyance and aggravation."

Ron snorted. "You can say that again."

"Not that I don't adore the git," Hermione said sweetly before she kicked his shin under the table.

"Ow!" Ron groaned gripping his shin. "Hermione! No kicking!"

James giggled. "Get use to it, Uncle Ron. She tends to do that a lot."

"Great," Ron muttered.

"So, can I answer Ron's question now?" James asked his dad, who had been staring at Hermione this whole time.

"Hmmm?" Harry turned to his son. "What? Oh…no, don't say anything."

Ron groaned in protest. "Aw come on, Harry, why not?"

"If you I don't get to know, you don't get to know."

"But I…"

"Ron, no," Harry said firmly. "Stop talking about it and find out by yourself like everybody else. Just because my son decides to drop in from the future, doesn't mean we need to take advantage of him."

Ron slumped in his chair. "Oh all right, fine. I'll leave it alone and figure it out on my own." He grinned at Harry and bobbed his eyes. "Could be kind of fun."

Harry laughed. 'Yeah, well…why don't you go on and start strategizing your plan of attack. It's getting late and this one probably needs to get ready for bed."

James did not like that idea. "Oh, come on, Dad. You and Mum let me stay up till at least ten-thirty."

Harry lifted a brow. "Do we?"

James nodded aggressively. "Mm-hmm, sure! All the time!"

Harry grinned at him, then leaned forward in his chair and stared him down. "Look me in the eyes and say that again."

James took a deep breath and stared him down right back. "You and mum let me stay up until, oh, all right…ten." Harry didn't even blink and James sighed. "Fine..nine-thirty."

"Hmm…sounds about right." Harry leaned back in his chair and looked Hermione. "What do you think?"

"I don't know," Hermione pondered eying James. "That's still a little late."

James paused for a moment before leaning back in his chair. "Okay, so only nine-thirty is for special occasions, but at least I spoke the truth a little." James crossed his arms across him with a pout. "Mostly nine…man, can't I even win in the past when I have over twenty years on you?"

"Technically, eleven," Harry pointed out. "And I am your father, aren't I? I know all."

"Scary how good you are at that, mate." Ron stood up from the table. "I'm off to bed. See you later, Squirt."

"Night, Uncle Ron," James said running up and giving him a hug.

Ron smiled and patted his head. "Night."

"All right, James," Harry said standing up once Ron left. "I'll take you upstairs, Dobby should have taken care of that extra bed I requested for you."

"Okay, I…oh! I almost forgot. I need to take a bath."

"A bath?" Hermione asked with a smile. "Why?"

"Well, my mum asked me to and I promised her I would."

"You do realize that was in the future?" Harry asked with a teasing grin.

"I know that but…I promised her." James stuffed his hands in his pockets and nervously shuffled his feet. "I should still keep it, shouldn't I?"

Harry's heart warmed with pride at the boy his son had come to be. "Of course, James. You're absolutely right." Harry held out his hand. "We'll go upstairs and I'll take you to the bath."

"I'm going to stay down here and catch up on some studying," Hermione said, smiling at the two of them. "You sleep well, James. I'll see you tomorrow."

James let go of Harry's hand and ran up to her, hugging her tight. "Good night."

Hermione felt tears threatened to appear as she kissed the top of her head. "Good night, sweetie. I'll see you in the morning. We'll get you home, I promise."

"I know." He leaned back and flashed her that same grin she knew all too well. "I trust you."

Harry gave Hermione a smile as James took his hand again. "I'll come back down after I'm done."

Hermione nodded quickly waving them off. "Okay. Take your time."

As they walked off hand in hand, Hermione watched them as the tears finally emerged. She still couldn't believe Harry was a father…that he would have the family he always wanted. She was happy for him. No one deserved it more than he after all he had been through. She just hoped that the girl he married realized that and appreciated all the wonderful things Harry offered.

For someone who didn't know he'd have kids less than twenty-four hours ago, she had to admit, he picked up on it rather quickly. Anyone could see what a wonderful father he was, because it showed on the adorable boy that popped up in their lives. Harry and his wife…whoever she was…raised him well.