Unofficial Portkey Archive

From London to Chicago by Marauders__x
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

From London to Chicago

Marauders__x

Disclaimer: JK Rowling owns everything Harry Potter related.

[AN]: All I have to say is that I'm giving out my biggest sorry in the history of fanfiction. I'm sorry I haven't updated in the longest time. I know it's been over a month, but as I said in my last Author's Note that school came around and it's been really hard for me to try and add on another chapter. But the good part is I haven't forgotten about this story! I know some of you have been anxious to find out what will be happening. From now on, I will be updating when I have free time. I hope none of you have lost hope in this story!

Chapter Eleven: Between Best Friends

---

Hermione placed a teacup in front of Ron filled with tea along with Harry and herself also getting a teacup. She sat down next to Harry at the table and passed the lemon that Ron wanted for his tea.

"While you were making the tea, Hermione, Harry told me you were going to Chicago for your book company."

Hermione looked over at Harry quickly and then over at Ron.

"I really didn't want you to know about that."

Ron looked at her curiously. "Why didn't you want me to? It's not that big of a deal."

Harry gently sipped his tea and shook his head quickly at Ron to not go too into depth of the whole situation.

"Ron, it really is a huge deal for me and especially the company."

"Well can I ask how huge the deal is?"

Hermione sighed heavily and stirred her tea gently from the sugar she just added in there.

"It might be life changing for me," she said softly. "There's a possibility I might move to Chicago and stay there to open up the business, employ people, and from there widen the company throughout America."

Ron stared at her stunned. He wasn't expecting that to come out of her. He was thinking maybe the company was taking a turn for the worse.

"That's a good thing, Hermione. Don't make it sound like it's horrifying. I'm sure you'll get everything done over there in no time. It's a fantastic opportunity if you ask me. I mean, look at me. I moved all the way to Romania and gaining a fortune from dragons."

"Yeah but completely leaving everything behind, crossing the ocean, and being away from the ones you love is pretty hard, Ron," Harry said and Hermione felt a tiny smile tug at her mouth. Harry knew exactly how this was going to affect her.

"That is true," he said and looked down into his tea, "Especially when the holidays are coming around now. Christmas is just in 3 weeks."

Hermione completely forgot about that. Christmas was literally just in three weeks and she was leaving everyone behind that knew her too well. She sighed quietly and Harry looked over at her. He noticed how she was staring into space. She was thinking by the looks of it. Harry had already picked up her new habits of thinking.

"Do you know how long this will take?" Ron asked over at Hermione.

"Hermione," Harry said and gently shook her by the shoulder seeing as how she wasn't paying attention anymore.

"Huh?" she said, finally blinking, and looked over at Ron. "I, um, really don't know."

Ron could tell that she looked tired and how worried she now looked from the questions he kept asking her. He felt bad for doing that but he had a right to know what she was about to do over there.

"Harry, I think I'm going to go relax for a bit. I don't feel too well anymore. There's just so much going on."

Harry reached over and placed a hand on top of hers, lacing his hand up loosely with hers.

"Do you need anything?"

She shook her head and looked into his face. "I'll be fine."

Harry knew she didn't want to be at the table anymore. From Ron asking questions about the whole Chicago trip, it wasn't helping her at all. Harry noticed how she didn't like staying up late and searching for tickets or even trying to find a hotel. Stress and a lot of other things were getting to her already.

"Call me if you do need something."

Hermione nodded and Harry gave her a quick kiss. Ron moved his chair uncomfortably and watched Hermione leave the kitchen. He heard from her a quick goodbye and he looked over his shoulder, watching her leave and go up the stairs.

Hermione went up the stairs at a normal pace and turned around the banister, going to her room. She opened the door slightly and sat down on her bed, falling backwards. She stared up at the ceiling and then over at the pillows. She could smell Harry's cologne and crawled over to where he would usually sleep.

She placed her head against the pillow and closed her eyes. She felt them burn from the tears starting to form, but she resisted them to fall. Stress was soon to be over taking her life and she knew she was going to hate that more than anything.

She was stressing over Ron's questions already, the phone call she would be getting from Paula, the trip to Chicago, having Christmas coming soon, and so much more. She didn't know if she could handle this by herself at all. Thankfully Harry would be there with her for the whole entire thing. She hoped he wouldn't leave her there and come back to London.

-

Harry sat back and ran a hand through his hair. He crossed his arms in front of his chest and looked straight at Ron.

"This is too much for her. The guy at her work just had to bring this up to her."

"What guy?" Ron asked.

"He's like the manager or the person who helped her expand the company. I don't know. She didn't really explain him that well. He's not that great of a bloke to me even though I haven't met him at all."

Ron smirked and looked around the kitchen. "You said you were going with her, right?"

"Yeah I am. I know she can't do all of this alone. I hate it when things like this are on her."

"I know what you mean by that. Lacey works for Muggle insurance and the people that call her in and send in a letter just puts her out completely. She comes home to the flat miserable looking."

"Hermione's always been like that though, Ron."

Harry stood up and started clearing the table. Ron decided to help him and he brought over the teacups to the sink.

"How's she been overall with this?"

Harry leaned against the counter and watched Ron place the last teacup from the table into the sink. "Alright I guess. I swear the shagging we have -"

"You two shagged already?! Are you both mad?" Ron said laughing.

Harry rolled his eyes and Ron calmed down his laughter.

"I can imagine how the shagging must be from all the stress."

"Oh you have no idea. She wants it nice and slow according to her."

"Nice and slow is pretty amusing. It's way more fun and it's fun torcher if you ask me.

Harry had to smile and shook his head over at Ron.

"What?" Ron asked and grinned.

"Nothing, Ron." Harry took out his wand from the back pocket of his jeans and waved it over the things that were in the sink. Instantly they began to wash themselves.

"So when did you and Hermione start the whole dating thing?"

"That I really don't want to get into. You have no idea how hard it was for us to know if it was wrong or not. It broke out a lot of fights."

"Never would've guessed that."

Harry nodded and wondered how she was doing.

"I'll go see how she's doing. She probably fell asleep by now."

Harry left the kitchen and Ron was following him up the stairs, curiosity arising in him. Harry gently pushed the door open since he found it closed and saw her laying there on the bed with her eyes closed. She seemed to be sleeping.

Ron leaned against the doorframe of her room and watched as Harry walked over to the bed.

"Are you going to stay with her there?" Ron asked softly as he watched Hermione sleeping on the bed.

Harry nodded and walked over to her, bending down to his knees just to look at her precious face he adored.

"I'll be staying in Chicago with her."

"Do you know for how long?"

"As long as it takes for her to finish what she started."

"I hope that doesn't affect much around here."

Ron walked in and stood next to Harry. Harry stood back up and looked over down at Hermione.

"I hope everything goes well for you two over there. She's going to be needing a lot of support," Ron said and looked over at Harry.

He nodded and moved a piece of her hair away from her face. "She's a strong person. I know she can get it done. I have a feeling though that we won't be back too soon. I think we might be there for the holidays from how serious this guy is with her. He wants at least a book shop opened up and see how the sales go."

"Seriously, Harry, good luck with all of that. If it was me and her doing this, I know for sure I would be going crazy."

Harry smirked and patted his friend on the shoulder.

"Let's get out of here. She needs the rest she can get."

Harry and Ron left her room and gently closed the door behind them. Hermione on the other hand wasn't literally asleep yet. She opened up one eye slowly and looked over at the door. She was happy how Harry was being behind her all the way and she felt that Ron spoke the truth from what he said.

She closed her eyes back up and decided to take a nice nap in the meantime.

Back downstairs, Ron was getting his things and he said goodbye to Harry.

"Tell your parents and Ginny to take it easy," Harry said and with that Ron was gone with a pop.

Harry closed the door gently and locked it up. He ran a hand through his hair and turned around. He made his way up the stairs rather quickly and opened back up her door. He peaked his head in and found her back towards the door. Harry walked back over to her and slipped into bed on the other side of her.

She looked so peaceful just sleeping like that. Harry moved closer to her and wrapped his arms around her, gently bringing her into him. Hermione responded and grabbed a chunk full of his shirt. She rested her head underneath the crook of his neck and Harry could smell the lovely scent of her shampoo.

She closed his eyes and just snuggled closer to her.

"I love you, Hermione," he whispered and kissed her forehead gently.

Hermione's face had a small smile tug at her face and she just snuggled even closer to him. Those words filtered into her mind and just made her feel more loved by him.

Harry himself started to drift off and soon enough he, himself, was sleeping.

---

Preview for Chapter Twelve!

"I sometimes want to hex that man out of this universe!"

"He at least could've given you another day to stay here."

Hermione shook her head sadly and just slumped down on the bed.

"I can't believe we have to leave at midnight tonight."

"There are different time zones, you know. Maybe that's why?"

"Harry, that's not the point!"

Please review you guys! :]

-->