Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Great Magical War by Sirius Potter
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Great Magical War

Sirius Potter

Harry Potter and the Great Magical War

Chapter 1

The New Dursleys

Harry Potter lay asleep in his bed at Number Four Privet drive. Books were scattered all over his floor, to be more specific Defense Against the Dark Arts books. Just over a week ago he had been told that he was the one that would defeat the most infamous dark wizard of the time, Lord Voldemort, to add to this burden he had witnessed the murder of his Godfather, Sirius Black. Harry had vowed to himself not to let anyone else he loved die, and to be prepared for the inevitable day when destiny would decide itself between himself and Voldemort.

"Boy! Get down here, breakfast is ready!" Aunt Petunia's shrill voice rang through the house waking Harry from a surprisingly restful sleep.

He had not been having any terrible nightmares since he returned home to Privet Drive. He didn't know whether this was due entirely to the fact he had received an Owl from Dumbledore the day he arrived to remind him to practice what he had learned in Occulumency.

The Dursleys' had actually been decent to Harry so far into the holiday. Harry suspected it had to do with the threatening warning Mad-Eye Moody and Mr. Weasley had given to Uncle Vernon. Harry had been free to do whatever he wanted to this summer, he was even permitted to read his school books during the day he no longer had to sneak them under his covers at night.

Entering the sunlit kitchen, Harry slid into the open chair around the table in the Dursleys' kitchen. He grabbed a piece of toast and a few pieces of bacon. Keeping to himself he just munched on it absently.

"Dad, you know that since I'm sixteen now and can drive I was wondering if I could drive down to London for about a week, and maybe borrow the car?" Dudley asked his father with hopeful eyes.

Harry perked up at this if he was lucky, maybe just maybe he could get in on this.

"Well... perhaps..." Vernon replied sounding unconvinced, Aunt Petunia shot him a look and patted Dudley's massive arm sportingly.

"When would you go and who would go with you?" He asked guardedly.

Harry was surprised that he didn't say yes right off, it seemed that maybe spoiled Dudley was a thing of the past. Dudley seemed to be taking his father's response rather badly, his piggy face frowned slightly.

"Well... ah... tomorrow? It would just be myself, I was thinking of meeting some friends from school down there?" Dudley answered pleadingly.

"OH DID MY LITTLE DUDLY WUDLY MEET SOME NEW FRIENDS?" Aunt Petunia trilled kissing her son's pudgy cheek. "Oh Vernon just let him take it." She added under her breath with a glare at her husband,

"Can I come?" Harry asked hopefully.

"Absolutely not!" Uncle Vernon roared, his eyes bulging. Harry frowned and then a idea struck him,

"Please, I would hate to tell Mr. Weasley about this. Plus I will stay out of Dudley's hair. The moment we arrive there I'll leave and not see him until it's time to go back." Harry said in one breath hoping that he would be allowed to go.

Dudley looked livid, the last thing he wanted was for Harry to come and "ruin the trip," but luckily for Harry, Uncle Vernon grudgingly agreed. Dudley had nothing to say really and just snapped that Harry should be ready at ten the next morning to leave.

The rest of the day was pretty boring. Harry still had to do a few chores. So he finished up those and sent a short note to Ron and Hermione telling them where he would be. He then packed up some clothes and called it a day. Laying down in bed, he carefully cleared his mind and went to sleep, waiting for tomorrow.

Harry woke very late the next day and almost missed Dudley leaving. He assumed his cousin had probably told Aunt Petunia not to wake Harry in hopes that he could go alone.

The ride to London was uneventful neither of the two spoke to each other. Finally when they arrived in London Dudley grunted, "Where do you want to be dropped off?"

"The London Shopping Center." Harry said, and forty minutes later Harry was out of the car and Dudley sped off to do what ever trouble he and his friends had planned.

Harry walked past the Shopping Center a little bit and immediately found the run down pub known as The Leaky Cauldron. He pushed open the creaking door and walked up to barkeeper, Tom. He told Tom that he would need a room later on but had to do some things first. He entered the small courtyard and headed to Diagon Alley, and immediately went on to Gringotts. He withdrew a sack full of Galleons and sickles from his vault.

Harry then set of to find Fred and George's shop. After a few minutes of searching and a few whispers that sound mostly like "Look it's Harry Potter! See the scar?" he finally found number ninety-three, Weasley's Wizard Wheezes.

Harry slowly pushed the door open. He couldn't be too sure if Fred and George would dare play a prank on their customers.

"Harry over here! I just got your owl." Ron yelled from behind the counter.

"Hey Ron, err what are you doing back there?" Harry asked,

"Well I did say I was going to get a job didn't I? Working for Fred and George is great. They pay me eleven sickles an hour. I already have fifteen galleons saved up." Ron said with great enthusiasm in his voice.

"Wow that's great, so when do you get off?"

"In about an hour. Do you want to meet at the Leaky Cauldron for Lunch at twelve thirty?" Harry gave a nod seeing the Ron was not done talking so he let him continue. "You should sign up for the Junior Duelling Tournament. Its four days from now at noon. You've got to be at least thirteen and no older then seventeen to enter. Plus you get to use magic from the moment you sign up, to the moment you get eliminated from the tournament. I have no idea how they pulled that off. Here let me show you…. Accio Quill." Ron said and his quill flew towards him and landed neatly in his hand.

"Wow I have to get in on that. Where do I sign up?" Harry asked eagerly,

"They have a parchment posted up at Quality Quidditch Supplies."

"Alright I guess I will see you in the Leaky Cauldron at half past twelve. I'm going to sign up now, see you later!" And with that Harry headed to Quality Quidditch Supplies.

On the way there he saw a group of 12 Aurors marching down Diagon alley. 'Must be patrolling the streets in case of a Death Eater attack.' He thought glancing around uneasily.

Harry easily found the parchment. There were already 30 names signed up, and to his loathing Draco Malfoy was on top of the list. "Great," Harry said to no one in particular. He checked his watch and noticed that he still had a half an hour so he headed down to Flourish and Blots to get a couple of spell books so he could not only practice for the dueling tournament, but also his vow.

Harry could tell that Defense Against the Dark Arts books were selling quite well, because there was a whole table piled high with them right in the entrance. All of the titles were like DADA 101, SIMPLE DEFENSE SPELLS, DADA FOR BEGINNERS. If Harry wanted to be able to really stand up against Voldemort and win the Dueling Tournament he would need to find some books with more powerful spells. There seemed to be no one open to help him because the shop was packed with customers, but then he spotted someone who Harry knew could help him.

"Hey, Mr. Weasley, over here!" Harry shouted across the room where he saw the closest thing he had left for a father.

Mr. Weasley spotted Harry and walked over to him. "Hello Harry, what are you doing here?"

Harry told him his story about how his Uncle let him come down to London.

"Well, I guess that should be alright then just try to stay low." Arthur Weasley said in a quiet voice.

"Ah... well... err... you see, I kind of entered the Dueling tournament." Harry said in embarrassment, immediately feeling foolish at his rashness.

"Well that should be fine, at least you can do magic to defend yourself now without having to go to a trial for it. I am going to help Ron with some dueling practice tonight, try to get your hands on some floo powder and come on down." Mr. Weasley said with a smile.

"Thanks, but where do I get floo powder?"

"That's easy Tom usually keeps some on the mantle above the fireplace in your room at the Leaky Cauldron. So now what did you call me over for?" Arthur asked looking intently at Harry,

"Well you see I made a vow to my self and it basically is that I will not let anyone down… and err... try to be ready for when I encounter Voldemort. So I am trying to find some more powerful spell books." Harry replied with another embarrassed look on his face.

Mr. Weasley regarded Harry and smiled. "You know Harry you always seem to amaze me. Follow me." With that he headed to the very back of the store, and pulled out two very thick, old books. "These two Harry I suggest you read. The first one here, called ANCIENT DEFENSE MAGIC we have a copy of this at the new Order headquarters." Mr. Weasley paused for a second when he mentioned the new Order headquarters. He knew Harry would be upset about mentioning anything related to Sirius and since the old headquarters was his house he decided to drop the subject. Then he continued… "It gives you a lot of powerful and difficult spells I suggest you wait on these until you have read the other book." He then put ANCIENT DEFENSE MAGIC down and lifted up the other book. "Now, this one is called RARE CURSES AND MOVES FOR DANGEROUS CIRCUMSTANCES it is hard to tell by the title what this book actually is about. It basically gives you powerful curses like the stunning spell, disarming charm, and shield charm besides that there are more powerful versions along with many other spells. It is also laid out in a way kind of like a lesson format. It even teaches you how to deflect spells. This book is very expensive but if you can afford it it's well worth it. Ah maybe you can let Ron borrow it sometime." Mr. Weasley said his ears turning a slight tinge of red at his last suggestion. He handed the books to Harry.

"Wow, thanks I never would have picked these books out." Harry said with a big smile on his face.

"Well I have to run see you tonight at around six?" Mr Weasley said glancing at his watch, and then towards the door.

"Sure thing, see you then Mr. Weasley."

Harry paid for his two books and realized he was running late for his meeting with Ron. He ran to the Leaky Cauldron and luckily enough got there the same time Ron did.

"Hey Ron, guess who I saw at Flourish and Blots…" Harry told Ron about the meeting with his Dad. They then discussed the tournament and Harry going over to Ron's house later tonight. Ron had to make a quick exit because his lunch hour was running out and he didn't want to test Fred and George's tempers as his bosses.

Harry got a room from Tom and spent the rest of the afternoon engrossed in RARE CURSES AND MOVES FOR DANGUROUS CIRCUMSTANCES and by the time it was six he had finished the section on deflecting curses and had a pretty good hang of it.

Harry pointed his wand at the fireplace and muttered "INCENDIO" and a huge fire roared in the fireplace. He then grabbed a handful of floo powder, and threw it in the fire. Emerald green flames erupted where the once orange ones were. Harry stepped inside and yelled "THE BURROW" Harry now felt the familiar sickly sensation of twirling down passing many different fireplaces until finally he stopped. He walked out and was greeted by Mrs. Weasley.

"Harry it's great to see you. The boys are outside. Hurry along now, I have to finish supper." With that Mrs. Weasley gave Harry a huge bear hug and chivvied him outside, where Ron and Mr. Weasley were duelling.

"STUPEFY!" Ron yelled as he sent the stunning spell straight at his father.

Mr. Weasley easily dodged it and pointed his wand at Ron and yelled "EXSPELLIARMUS!" Ron was not, however, able to dodge it and his wand went flying over towards Mr. Weasley.

Harry clapped, and they both looked over and noticed him for the first time.

"Hello Harry, good to see you. Ron you did pretty well you just need to be a little quicker on your feet." Mr. Weasley said with an encouraging smile.

"Hey Harry… Why don't you give it a try now I'm beat." Ron panted.

"Alright sure, you ready Mr. Weasley?" Harry asked,

"Yep"

They bowed at each other, raised their wand and counted to three.

"STUPEFY, STUPEFY, STUPEFY!" Harry yelled and sent three stunning spells in quick succession.

Mr. Weasley dodged the first two and on the last one yelled "PROTEGO " The shield charm worked successfully and Harry's last stunning spell jetted back towards Harry. Harry used what he learned from the book and flicked his wand and concentrated on deflecting it and it worked. Mr. Weasley looked at him with a shocked face. Harry saw this as an opening and yelled "REDUCTO!" The spell caught Mr. Weasley right in the gut he flew back about five feet and dropped his wand. A few seconds later he got up brushed his clothes off and beamed.

"Wow Harry you actually beat my dad!" Ron yelled with mixed emotions.

"Well I wouldn't have been able to if I didn't surprise him with that deflection curse. Sorry I had to use that spell but it was the only one I knew that would be fast enough to reach you before you got over your shock."

"That's alright, Harry. Great move by the way. Now come on I think Molly should have supper ready." Arthur said massaging his sore back.

A/N: Well how did you like it? I wonder if anyone is reading this since the fifth book came out just a few days ago. Please review! So I know if I should continue or wait about a month until everyone is over with the fifth book.