Unofficial Portkey Archive

Life and Times by Elban Fehl
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Life and Times

Elban Fehl

Life and Times

Rating: R

Ship: HHr (main emphasis)

The (unlovely) procedure: all rights go to JKR for PREVIOUS plot and characters, Scholastic, Warner, and whoever else has their hands in HP.

Author Note: After writing forty pages nearly straight through, I decided to break what would have been one full forty-page chapter into two. So, instead of uploading one for the weekend, now you all will get two updates! Some of my reviewers have hit the foreshadowing dead-on, and the stuff that is to come for the future. You guys amaze me. I hope you all keep reading and giving me these excellent reviews! You guys keep me going!

***

Chapter Twelve ~ Options

The creak of the door inching into the room brought life to my sight. Before, I had been asleep on an Easter-green couch. My head lay on a beige pillow. The couch was not long enough for my entire length, so I had to bend my knees and curl myself around the pillow. A nurse came in during the night and asked me, while she changed Hermione's IV bag and took her temperature, if I wanted a bed. They'd bring the bed right into the room with Hermione. At the moment, I couldn't care less. Being beside Hermione was all that was important to me. All I wanted was to be by my girl.

Now, the same night-shift nurse walked back in. She smiled at me, her hands clasping the usual clipboard of coloured paper. Each colour represented a certain task that needed to be checked on or done. I'd watch the nurse go about the monitors and scratch down the numbers. Maybe she would press on a button, maybe she wouldn't, her fingers constantly writing away on the clipboard.

The nurse eyed me through neon pink hair, straight down her back. An interesting, original colour that made sure I knew she'd been the one coming in-and-out throughout the night. She was pretty, too, but nothing compared to Hermione. Fail in comparison, utterly and completely. She was young, and very cautious around the equipment. I didn't ask, but if I did ask if she was new, my hunch probably would have been right. She looked younger than me, and that's a statement, being only nineteen years on this earth.

Her yellow-green irises read the numbers popping and twirling on the monitor calculating the palpitations of Hermione's heart. Down below, a blue number would rise and fall, observing her oxygen input and output. The nurse, Valerie, checked Hermione's pulse by holding her wrist and looked at her watch. She then scratched something down, I assumed, was yet another number.

"Good morning, Mr. Potter," exclaimed Valerie in a casual-but-business-like tone. Her right eye was covered by her neon pink hair; her other eye was severely black around the edges of the yellow-green. "Can I get you anything?"

I made a sort of wave, coughing into a fist. I scooted to my backside and stretched as much as I could on the too-tiny couch. I heard the sounds of the hospital: the paging for this doctor, the code yellow for the sixth floor, and the shuffling forever of feet and shadow.

I was alone, in a sense, besides Hermione. I sent Ginny and Neville back. Ginny, of course, protested my wish for her to go back to the hotel. Neville's future career could be a negotiator. He is practically the only one who can persuade Ginny, the ever-stubborn and hard-headed. He told her about the situation. He told her nothing could be done except waiting. Waiting, the waiting game, in the waiting room. I had my cell phone with me, and I promised her whole-heartily that if anything changed-even the most miniscule of change-I'd call her. She prodded my chest and said, "I don't give a damn what time of the night it is, you better call me!" Then, they left for the Marriott and the Art Deco, lush suite.

"No thank you, I'm fine," I replied to Valerie. My eyes were on Hermione and how the breathing machine would slightly push her chest out, making it rise. I brushed her hair and cleaned her face with a wash cloth gently before I had lain down. I needed to do something, anything; I hated the fact that my only true option was to wait around. Dr. Stone had come in before she left to go home and said the echocardiogram hadn't come back from the laboratory and that she'd get it first thing in the morning when she came back in.

That was unfortunate.

"How is she doing?" my vocal chords were raspy. I sounded as if I'd been smoking for years.

"She looks positively wonderful," smiled Valerie, her lips black with lipstick. The pen scuffed the wood of the clipboard as she continued making marks. She had her eyes on another monitor, this one the most vital of them all: the heart monitor. "Her figures are great. Her heart rate is a bit below par, but that's mainly because she's sleeping. Her blood came back fine with no irregularities and her body is getting enough oxygen."

"Then why is she still in here?"

"Because Dr. Stone's team wants to make one hundred percent sure Ms. Granger is doing well before discharging her. Makes sense, too, as people just don't drop to the ground," Valerie put her clipboard under her arm and the pen she wrote with in her pocket. She glanced at me and said, "All right, I have to take blood again. Just a fair warning."

I swallowed hard and felt nauseous. Two things-one, needles. Needles bugged me, gave me the creeps. Seeing one, as Valerie pulled a clean syringe out and took off the safety plastic, had me to turn away. They'd have to knock me out almost for someone to shove a needle in my arm. You'd think after all the years I was locked up with Madam Pomfrey I'd get used to it. But, nope, still made me sick at the sight. Secondly, that was a part of my baby leaving her. As I peeked to see Valerie fill the tube, the crimson colour gushing in gradually, something about the essence of my angel being taken away disturbed me, too. I didn't want anyone to take that life from her…though, I realized it was for the best as much as I chafed.

"Actually," Valerie started, having cleaned the pivot of Hermione's arm again and put a band-aid on it. "I don't know why Ms. Granger even has the oxygen mask on anymore. She's giving me really positive reads, better than positive, and her blood is rich with oxygen. I wouldn't be surprised if the mask comes off in the morning."

"That's great," I tried to grin, but it subsided before it took off. I didn't want to get my hopes up to have the crash-and-burn once more. No more Catch-22's. But, a part of me did cheer deep inside my soul. Cheering on my Hermione as if I was along the sidelines and she caught the snitch to win the big Quidditch match. "That's good."

"That's extremely good," smiled Valerie, shifting over with her feet in blue booties. She crumpled up a wrapper and tossed it in the rubbish bin by the door. She took hold of the door handle and slipped her way out silently, "Sleep tight, Mr. Potter."

"Valerie!" I shot up, my hand out to her.

Valerie flipped around, her head moving inside the room, her body behind the door and outside the hallway. "Yes?"

I began to step towards Hermione softly as if I didn't want to wake her up. Nothing was waking her up with the anti-pain medicine they gave her. I looked at Valerie who pushed open the door so I could see more of her in the brightly lit hallway, "When does Dr. Stone usually come in?"

Valerie glanced at the watch on her wrist, "It's a little past 1:30 now… So, roughly, eight more hours, give or take."

"All right," I'd gone to the side of Hermione's bed, my hands around the metal rims. My eyes set and wouldn't budge from Hermione, relaxed and a bit more comfortable-looking after my hygiene handiwork. Sliding my fingers underneath her palm, I laced them with hers, just holding her hand.

"Give Dr. Stone some time for coffee and the like," I heard Valerie say before closing the door. "Good morning, or, good night."

She made a stifled laugh and waved at me. She was ever-so-nice to Hermione, and to me, a sweet girl. Caring for my Hermione gave her mega-points. She could spit on me, and I'd still give her points for being gentle and genuine when she spoke and touched my baby. She even winced when she'd poke Hermione with the needle, knowing it hurt me too.

I leaned down alongside Hermione and ran my fingers through her hair. I smiled at her and lightly pressed my lips against her cheek. I whispered in her ear, "Did you hear that, my love? You're such a fighter… You're so amazing… Do you know that?"

I lightly caressed her forehead, and then went back to her ear, "You're simply the most amazing woman I have ever seen, and I love you with all of my heart… Every bit of it, all of it…"

I kissed her shoulder lightly as well, "I love you, Hermione Granger… I will always love you…"

***

The only time I ever left Hermione's side was to forage for food. Hermione would have a fit if I didn't eat; in a way, much harsher than Ginny. She'd scold me, and I smiled at the thought. I was in the elevator with a few people from the ground floor. I didn't have to press the third floor button, having stepped on to see it already lit. The sun hadn't rose, but it was about to, the sky churning from black to purple. I'd asked Valerie where a cafeteria was located for breakfast, and I was coming back from there. Eggs and toast, something to eat that wasn't heavy but would get me through the day until lunchtime.

I passed by the window holding the New York skyline. I felt lighter, an emotional high being given off by the sunlight gently rising through the square panes and by all the positive feedback Hermione had given Nurse Valerie. My hands in my pockets, I turned the corner and noticed Valerie chatting away on a telephone behind the third floor desk. She smiled at me as I passed, and I half-grinned back, something that had been rarely seen the past two days of my dreary life.

My hand reached for the handle of the door. I gently pushed into the room, slid in, and shut it quietly. The heart monitors met me, and I'd grown fond of hearing the steady rhythm. I knew, with each matching beep of the machine, Hermione lived-and that's all that mattered. Her life was more important than anyone's from my perspective of the world. I'd gladly give my own to save hers, and had in my short lifespan of nineteen years.

In near-tip toe, I made a path to the window that had been behind me on the couch. As I went, I watched Hermione sleep. Her little body had been through so much; she needed all she could get. As much as I wanted her to get up, I knew the more she lay there in relaxation, the more her insides recuperated from the trauma. I also knew, pulling on the chord to make the blinds open slightly, that she'd want some natural light in her room. If the day were sunny, she didn't like to be in the dark. Light made her lively, and lively made her happy.

I pushed off the couch with my knees. The cushions flipped from my weight. I bent down into a squat and fixed them before standing back up and slipping my hands in my pockets. I sat on the couch, taking my cell phone out of my pocket to see if I had any missed calls. Not that I would not have heard the phone go off. I did it to do something, to get my mind off from waiting, to have my mind go somewhere else for a second. No missed calls. I placed the phone back in my jeans, having to stretch my leg out to slide it back in, when I saw Hermione.

A hallucination… No…

She moved!

No…!

She moved again!

Ha!

Hermione tried to adjust herself, but couldn't quite do it. How could she with all the equipment around her. I saw her eyes blink open, and her head tilt back. I popped right from my seat and was at her side in a snap. She didn't see me at first, but then her eyes drowsily peered over at me as I bent down to really make sure what I saw was the real deal. That she was actually, really, and truly moving. And…she was! For a moment, I didn't know what to do. I thought about running out the door and getting Valerie, anyone, when I saw her try to move her arm from the bed. She couldn't lift it all the way, and I caught it before she could have it fall.

She smiled at me under her mask, and I began to cry. I broke down. I lowered right down level with her and gently wrapped my arm across her chest. I could feel the lines attached beneath the sheets; chords going right to her heart area. I felt Hermione lightly gripping at me. She hadn't the strength with all the medication in her. She rubbed my arm, and I went into the crook of her neck to kiss her. Hoisting myself higher, I purred alongside her cheek and kissed as close to her mouth as I could with the mask in the way.

Her eyes would close sleepily, but she smiled. I saw a tear leak from the corner of her eye, and that made me begin again. I laughed a little in my cry and kissed away her tear on her cheek. I caressed her throat and under her jaw. I ran my hand against her soft tummy, her soft fingers gripped into me with an ounce of strength. I wrapped my arm back around her chest and laid my eyes on her. She turned her head back towards me, having straightened it when I caressed her neck. She gazed at me with her cinnamon eyes, and I grinned.

I lowered to her ear and whispered, "I love you…"

The heart monitor leapt at my words.

I smiled and kissed, again, as close as I could to her mouth.

She tried to say something, but came out silent. I got close, my ear to her, to hear her say quietly in a strain, "…I'm sorry…"

I sobbed beside her, my nose to her cheek. I embraced her loosely, feeling her hand inside my hair, "There's nothing to be sorry for… I'm so happy to see you awake, you're doing really good…"

Hermione closed her eyes slowly, more tears flowing alongside her nose and cheek. I smiled and licked the soft of her face and caressed away those tears. I scratched the top of her head gently and combed her unyielding, silk-like hair with my fingers. She tried to make out something to me and I drew in close.

"…I love you…" her voice struggled with the medication.

My heart, heavy with love, fluttered in my chest. I kissed her all over-anywhere and everywhere-along her neck once more, and shoulder, down and up her arm, to her palm and fingertips. Alongside her clavicle, her chest, the curve of her breast and stomach; my hand by those parts of my beloved where I'd massage her, loving her as much as I could in our current state of being. I moved back up and kissed her chin, and then the side of her mask.

She raised her arm and touched her mask. She tried to get under the secured, clear plastic face-piece with her nail. I held her hand, not quite knowing if taking the mask away was a good idea. She tried to, anyway, and finally my will weakened. I wanted to kiss her lips, and she wanted me to. I tenderly lifted the mask and pulled it down under her chin quickly and cautiously. She tilted her head back and rose to get to me an inch off the bed. I met her all the way, all ninety percent. I kissed her lips and brought my moisture to them.

I heard the heart rate monitor beeping frantically. I smiled, and I felt her grin under my ever-so-gentle kiss. She lay back, smirking through her sluggishness. She was feeling better, the smirk proving against my greatest fears. She nodded some when I pointed at the mask, telling her in body language I was putting it back on. I let it slip softly to her mouth and nose from my finger tips. She blinked at me, her smile still evident under the mask.

The monitor beep calmed as I stroked the side of her face. She nudged her head into my hand as I did, getting soothed, and every-so-often closing her eyes even though she willed them to stay open. I smiled as she fought herself to keep her eyes on me, and then motioned me to come down to her. I followed her instruction, and put my ear so I could hear.

"…I'm thirsty…"

"Okay…," I grinned and peck-kissed her forehead. I looked at her, and she smiled at me, closing her eyes. I whispered, "I'll be right back. I need to go get the lovely nurse that's been overseeing my baby… I'm sure she'll bring you some water."

Hermione mouthed, "Thank you."

"You're more than welcome…," I peck-kissed her forehead once more. "You're absolutely amazing… I'll be right back."

My hand didn't want to leave hers. As I stepped, my palm felt cold, my fingers chilled, leaving the warmth of Hermione's touch. She followed me, twisting her head in the direction I went. I kept my eye on her, grinning, smiling from ear-to-ear. I gently pulled the door open and put my index finger up to state, "Just one second."

I saw her smile at me, having rotated her head a full one hundred eighty degrees from where it was to the door. I left the door open, blowing her a kiss, and high-tailed it over to the desk and asked for Valerie.

***

Did I mention how unbelievable this Valerie woman is? The moment I asked for her, as she was in the back room behind the desk filing paperwork the instant I came up, to the moment she went with me into the Hermione's room she was golden. Immediately, she laughed out loud in surprise, seeing Hermione fidgeting most uncomfortably. She went over and asked Hermione if she wanted to be raised, if she needed her pillows fluffed, or anything else. I told her about Hermione's throat being dry, and she asked her, bending down, what she'd like.

"…Cranberry, please…," Hermione was propped midway from being seated erect which was a large improvement. Her voice was a little raspy, from lack of liquid substance, but other than that she was rather responsive in-between her exhaustiveness.

"I'll get right on it!" smiled Valerie, glancing up at me with a grin from Hermione. "And, I'll call Dr. Stone right away with the update so we can get that darn mask off your face!"

Hermione smiled at her, and then turned her head to look at me. I gripped her hand, my fingers mingling with hers, having missed them dearly. She did her smirk, her eyes closing and re-opening. The medication was still within her, but she looked ravishing nonetheless.

That's my girl.

I leaned in and smelled of her vanilla on her neck. I licked her when we were alone, on the side of her throat, and purred. I nuzzled my lioness, her cheek rubbing into my hair. "You're so amazing…," I whispered into her ear after caressing the earlobe.

"…I probably smell…," she smiled at me, her eyes closed.

I took loose strands of hair and tucked them behind her ear, shaking my head from side-to-side, "You smell wonderfully brilliant… My vanilla baby…"

Frederick Granger called amidst our love-making, as much as we could, re-connecting like long-lost puppy dogs. She listened to me with her eyes still shut. She may have drifted off to sleep, stroking her hair, her head, and her face gently with my fingers. But, she moved and opened her eyes, blinking them to stay awake against her medical obstacle. They'd just landed at JFK and were on their way in a cab and would get there shortly. When I told them of Hermione's responsiveness, and how she was awake, I heard Mr. Granger announce to the cabbie, "There's an extra fifty in it for you if you speed it up!"

I flipped the phone back when the call ended. Hermione kind of shook her head, as much as she could, and kept her pink smile, "…you called daddy and mum?"

I lowered to her and kissed her mask. I nodded, slipping the phone in my jean pocket, "I did. I thought they should know."

Hermione lifted her head from me and stretched. Her smile never ceased, and when she stopped her action, her eyes came back to mine. She looked at me, those big, brown doe-eyes coming to tears. I instantaneously moved in and kissed those eyes, her eyelids when she closed them. I kissed her cheek and nudged the tip of my nose along the spot. I asked, seeing a tear trickle down the crevice alongside her nose in whisper, "…Why are you crying?"

Hermione sniffled and tried to nudge me right back, her nose hitting the inside of her oxygen mask. I heard the heart rate monitor flutter in beeps. I looked up at it, and then down to her, thinking something was wrong. That's when she said, "…Because…I'm so in love…"

She breathed in her pause, "…with you…"

She reached up to touch my cheek. I took her hand after she felt me, stroking me lightly, and turned her hand so the inside of her palm faced me. I gently caressed the softness of her palm, seeing her fingers slightly fidget in my kiss. I placed her hand back along my cheek and leaned in, her hand moving with me, to peck-kiss her wherever I could all over her face. The monitor was going ballistic, her pulse rising and falling erratically. I heard the door open, my lips on her forehead. Dr. Stone traipsed right on in, stopping a little to hear the monitor jumping. She had her clipboard in hand, and smiled when she saw me lift from Hermione with Hermione's hand still on my cheek.

"That's one way to keep that heart pumping," she laughed, her heels tapping the floor. She traipsed up to the side of Hermione's bed and held onto the metal. I got a good look at her white nail polish contrasting against the chrome-like polish of the barriers. She was grinning at Hermione, "Good morning, Ms. Granger. My name is Rebecca Stone and I'm your cardiologist. My team put you in this contraption.

Dr. Stone gestured to the machines, "I hope we haven't caused too much discomfort."

Hermione shook her head and said softly, "…Good morning."

"When will these drugs, that are making her sleepy like this, be out of her body?" I asked, Hermione's hand finding mine on the metal barriers opposite Dr. Stone's.

Dr. Stone was flipping through her charts and examining the monitors. She said whilst gazing at the oxygen in-take, "The pain medication we've given her should be out of her system by this evening at the very latest."

Dr. Stone bent down to Hermione and whispered to her, still audible to me, "How's your chest feel this morning? Good? Bad? Mediocre?"

"…Feels good," Hermione managed to say, closing her eyes.

Dr. Stone glanced up at me and smiled, "I bet you're feeling a lot better with Harry here, hm?"

Hermione smiled, her fingers sliding and lacing with mine. I put my other hand over the top of hers.

Dr. Stone returned her focus to Hermione, "Are you breathing well enough alone?"

Hermione nodded her head, her eyes still closed. Dr. Stone's sight went back to mine. Valerie was behind her scratching away at the clipboard she handed her. Valerie also had a bottle of Ocean Spray cranberry juice in her white coat pocket. The bottle tilted out from its small confines with a paper-covered straw beside it.

"Val?"

"Yes, Dr. Stone?" Valerie gazed up from her scratching pen.

"Could you go over and turn off the breathing apparatus?" Dr. Stone's eyes were fixed on Hermione's chest, and would flick to the input-output of her oxygen via the machine. "I want to be sure Ms. Granger can receive oxygen on her own before taking leave for Mr. Ramirez."

"You're doing extremely well, Ms. Granger," Dr. Stone's red lipstick-grin curled. "We may even have you out and home in a couple days."

"Does that mean the test results came back good?" My hopes were on high. I stepped forward and allowed Valerie to go around me. I heard her pressing the controls on the monitor itself and I saw Dr. Stone removing the mask. Dr. Stone paid close attention to Hermione after she'd taken it away from her face and gave it to Valerie across the bed.

She put her stethoscope in her ears and felt of Hermione's chest with the pad. She gazed at me as she listened beneath Hermione's ribs, "I do have the ECG report, but Val here told me Ms. Granger's parents were on their way. I didn't know if you wanted to wait, or not."

I can't wait.

I bowed to Hermione and whispered to her, "What do you think, love?"

"Ms. Granger seems to be receiving enough oxygen on her own power," I heard Dr. Stone state, looking at Valerie beside me. Valerie's pen went to writing once more, Dr. Stone singing off one number and the next, then ending in, "Make note of the time and I'll be coming back to check on her progress in six hours if nothing happens between then and now."

"…I want to know…"

That was all I needed to know. I lifted, seeing Dr. Stone's eyes on me as I did, "What's the verdict, doc?"

Dr. Stone put her hands in her white coat after hanging her stethoscope around her neck. Her blue scrubs became pronounced against the ivory colour, the coat not buttoned in anyway, allowing it to shift outward by her hands. She looked between Hermione and me, and then said with a sigh, "I have good news…and I have bad news."

"Good news first, please," I closed my eyes and told my mind to settle; my mind erupted when the phrase "bad news" was said. I felt Hermione tighten her grip on my hand.

"Well, the good news is I can see Ms. Granger leaving the hospital in a few short days, a week by the latest." Dr. Stone motioned with her hands for her clipboard. Valerie handed it back to her, and she took off a manila folder. "The bad news, however…"

"…however…?" I stated just as straight as she did.

Dr. Stone slipped a sheet of white paper with black computer print out of the folder, "…The `however' depends on Ms. Granger's decision on how to proceed."

"I don't understand…," Hermione sounded much better, much more vocal, without the damn machine on her face. She sounded just as sweet and angelic, though, a bit low in tone than normal. "…What decision will I have to make?"

"We found a tiny obstruction as we thought within Ms. Granger's heart."

"What's going to happen now, then?" My tone raised, I felt like screaming. I felt that wave of sickness again hit my stomach. "Are you going to have to operate on her heart?"

Dr. Stone shook her head, "Not at all, actually."

I wish whoever was playing this game would stop. If someone was writing my life, please, I beg of you, write it happier! I felt like I was on a teeter-totter, and couldn't get off. One minute I was high, ecstatic, and the following minute I was dirt, scum, the bottom of the barrel. I gulped, swallowing hard. My heart raced, and I was glad mine wasn't being monitored or I'd be on the bed being observed.

"You see, what has happened to Ms. Granger's heart is," Dr. Stone held up a black-and-white photograph. I couldn't make heads-nor-tails of it until she said "heart" amongst her discussion. What I viewed, the light portions and the dark portions, was the very essence of my girl. I got goosebumps, seeing the exposed lifeline. I think I wanted to smile. There was something about getting a look at Hermione's heart that felt thrilling. That this organ, right there, painted for us by computer image, was the piece of her that I loved to listen to when I lay my ear to her chest-that kept her alive, breathing.

"…We don't fully understand why this bit right here," Dr. Stone pointed at a little, mini-bulge in what she called the "wall". "Why the cells have created that thickening of the wall. Has Ms. Granger had any heart history or heart surgery to cause a lining like this?"

"Not that I can think of," I shook my head and looked down at Hermione shaking hers as well.

"I've seen odder things in my short time at Bellevue, but what this is right here is sort of like a scab. The cells have built upon an abrasion in her heart like our skin cells do to re-create that shelf of epidermis. The muscle here has collected, unfortunately, giving the blood flow of the valve a bit more of a struggle to pump the blood."

"I won't have to have surgery, though…?" Hermione exclaimed while I slipped my arms around her in a loose embrace. I had my nose to her cheek.

I heard a piece of paper crinkle and a rubbish bin open-and-close. I glanced to my right to see Valerie coming back towards us with a red-striped straw inside the cranberry juice bottle. She held the bottle out of Hermione, "Here you are, cutie."

Hermione took it up in her hands. I cradled the base just in case she dropped it and led the straw over to her mouth. I watched her lips slip around the top and the reddish-purple liquid shoot up from inside the clear plastic.

"Therein lays your decision, Ms. Granger."

Hermione's eyes focused on Dr. Stone to her left, mine doing the same. I wandered away, for a moment, my eyes seeing her throat bob a tad in her drink. I smiled, loving how each second brought my Hermione right back. Just a little while longer, and she'd be home with me, wrapped up in my arms. My eyesight blinked back to Dr. Stone.

"There are three ways to progress with what my team has categorized this as a pulmonary infarction, but a mild case. To put it simply, there is a slight abnormality of the heart and can proceed thusly…"

I grazed my nose along Hermione's cheek and kissed her. I didn't care that Dr. Stone, nor Valerie, watched me. This was my baby, and she is my love. She's better and getting better, and that's all that mattered. They'd found a diagnosis, so now, they could treat her…without surgery.

"First, and what I'm going to suggest to you Ms. Granger, is a pill. It's small, it's effective, but you have to keep on top of it or else you'll get tired because your heart is tiring. This is an everyday pill."

"…'Everyday' for how long?" I asked, my eyes looking back to Dr. Stone from Hermione's drink.

"Everyday," Dr. Stone simply stated. "There's a chance that the heart will heal itself, but for recorded history of this ailment, it may possibly be for the rest of Missus Granger's life."

Hermione paused her sipping. Her eyes searched for Dr. Stone and found the doctor looking at her encouragingly. Dr. Stone nodded, "It's really the best deal, believe me. The pill sort of like…boosts the heart, assists the muscle in palpitations. Like a steroid, but without any side effects of a steroid except for, of course, if you don't take it one, two, three days, you will see a regressive result. You can end up right back in the hospital and the other procedures will have to be done."

Dr. Stone glanced from our motionless faces and eyes. Hermione set the cranberry juice in her lap and lay her head against mine. She closed her eyes while Dr. Stone began again, "The next would be to have a shock given to your heart every month. An electrical shock that past patients found very intrusive. The shock has an after effect, leaving the patient feeling tired for a few days, possibly up to a whole week or more. That's why many other patients with the same problem take the pill."

"Then, you have the third and final procedure that will potentially eliminate the problem…but will be extremely intrusive and discomforting," Dr. Stone shook her head, looking at Valerie who came around to her side. "Surgery to shave the wall of the heart to its original thickness; but, in Missus Granger's condition I just don't see the need to go that route. Her heart is strong, as you can tell by her response to our medication, but it still needs a little giddy-up after she is discharged home."

Hermione gazed at me as if to want my opinion. I knew what I wanted to say, but this was her body. I lightly kissed the tip of her nose and smiled at her, "It's up to you. I'm right alongside you one hundred percent. Whatever you believe."

Hermione swiveled her head around when Dr. Stone added, "I can begin the receipt for the pill or the treatment today. We'd still need to keep you for a few nights, though, for complete observation. We want you right as rain for when you leave here."

"How many more days would that be?" I proclaimed, questioning.

Dr. Stone looked up at the ceiling and bobbed her head from side-to-side in thought and calculation, "I'd say…two, maybe three days tops at the rate we see Ms. Granger healing."

"The pill…," stated Hermione in the silence Dr. Stone left.

"Just realize that you must keep track, and it will get habitual."

I kissed her cheek, and then her jaw line. That was the route I wanted my girl to take.

Dr. Stone nodded to Hermione in a white-toothed grin, and then motioned for Valerie, "Begin that for me please, Val."

"Right away, Dr. Stone," exclaimed Valerie in reply. Her neon pink hair and sky-blue scrubs shot out the door at once. I didn't even see her open the door before I saw the door ajar, the hospital hallway teaming with other doctors and other patients moving throughout the building.

Hermione turned to me and smirked. I leaned over her and kissed her mouth tenderly. I felt her hands grip my arm, my nose lightly poking into her own.

"…I'll leave you two alone," Dr. Stone snickered, twisting on her heel to step outside. I heard her hand on the metal door handle and she peeked inside to say, "A good choice, Ms. Granger."

She winked and closed the door behind her.

{Inspirations for the Chapter: My brilliant mind? Haha - seriously, I didn't really listen to anything while writing this time. Scary, eh? If anything, it was the same type of music and songs I've listened to up until now}

-->