Unofficial Portkey Archive

Depression by padfoot_puppyeyes
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Depression

padfoot_puppyeyes

A.N.- I have a rather long author's note today, because I have someone new to dedicate Depression to. Thank you to that anonymous reviewer, on Christmas Eve, during the last update. I've been pretty busy lately, and was going to give up writing this particular story, but just to know someone else read and enjoyed my story was an inspiration, so the rest of this story, including this chapter, is dedicated to you. And please, ProngsGurl, I mean it. No more using reviews as e-mail. Call me if you have to! Again, all reviews are appreciated!

"Feminist"

"Hypocrite"

"Why, you arrogant little-"

"Oh, your one to talk!"

We'd been immaturely throwing insults back and forth in this manner for the last half-hour. While I could be civil enough during Head-Boy and girl duties I hated Potter, and I was going to take this opportunity to let him know it. Seeing as he seemed to be thinking along the same lines, I was having my own insults thrown back in my face, and was fighting back, waiting to be released from "Black's torture chamber". Potter had been strangely silent since my last comment, and I was proud to know that at least some of my words had reached his heart, supposing he had one.

Of course he has one! A little voice in my head said, sounding horribly like Black himself.

You wouldn't know it! I replied in my defense. Whether I was imagining Black's voice or not, it wasn't going to win any fight between us, so long as it still sounded like Black, or any of the Marauders for that matter.

Why can't you just give him a chance? The annoying voice asked.

"Because he's an arrogant git!" I said, not realizing I had voiced my opinion aloud until I saw the hurt reaction on James' face.

It could be worse. Black's voice taunted. It could be me!! I couldn't help but smile, and agree. It'd be worse if it were Black.

"So that's all you know about me?" James asked, bringing me out of my reverie. "It's true then, when I do something right, no one remembers, when I do something wrong, Evans never forgets!" even as I tried, I couldn't think of a proper retort for the hurt in his voice. So I just responded with

"Shut it potter!" Ignoring the annoying voice still in my head.

Let me explain the situation. Potter spent the first half hour pounding on the door, yelling for help. After that help didn't come, he slunk down on one side of the room, leaving me for the other. While I was shivering from the cold, I was grateful for the distraction. It was all that kept from falling asleep in this stone room on Christmas Eve. The light from my wand had gone out long ago, probably because I was too tired to do the simplest of charms.

"Cold Evans?" Potter's voice echoed on the stony walls. I was, but as he seemed perfectly comfortable I would freeze before I'd admit it.

"N-Not in the least!" I replied stubbornly, and cursed my chattering teeth. I felt something light but warm drape over my shoulders, and listened to potter apologize his way out of this one.

"I was wearing two cloaks anyways, and I was already warm. Give it back after we get out of here, I might need it again sometime soon."

Even as I felt gratitude at the warmth, I felt awe at the source, and it wasn't James. I looked down at my lower half and gasped. My eyes had somewhat adjusted to the dark, and I couldn't see anything below my head.

"An invisibility cloak?" I asked, more to myself than him.

"It's not as though now that you know about it you can see us under it!" James said, somewhat bitterly, as I tried to sort out how many questions this answered about the Marauders…and how many it didn't.

"So is that how you know exactly where everyone is in the castle at exactly that same time?" I asked, knowing full well that it wasn't.

"No." he replied stubbornly. "But it's how I know all about you and your secret, Angel." That last word said a little more than one would think. James potter knew my secret. I was dead!

"How long have you known?" Great. Sirius, I'm going to kill you, I thought. Here I was, locked in the same, cold room, with the one person I hated in this castle more than Snape, revealing my innermost secrets.

Why am I doing this? I asked myself. A voice inside my head, sounding strangely like Sirius, answered for me.

Because you love her. The annoying voice replied. I had never heard this voice inside my head before now, and if I had to put up with it for the rest of my stay in "Black's torture chamber" I really would lose my mind.

Do not! I retorted. I didn't love Lily Evans!

Do too! It replied, and I smiled.

Fine. I replied. Somehow Sirius always won. Even the bloody voice in my head, sounding like Sirius wins. I thought bitterly.

The voice only replied with I'm not just any voice in your head, Prongs I'm your conscience.

Lily always said I never had a conscience. I replied bitterly.

"Merry Christmas to me." Lily said, miserably, un-knowingly bringing me out of my thoughts, as only her voice could.

"You wanted to know something about how I know where all of Hogwarts students and staff where." I asked her, an idea forming in my head. She nodded, agreeing with me, and my spirits lifted slightly.

Maybe I could finally understand how she could sometimes catch us in the act of pulling the perfect prank. If she doesn't catch us, she comes pretty close to it, usually closer than she knows. If my suspicions were correct, she had an amazing gift.

"What do you want to know?" Evans asked, sounding somewhat put-off.

"What are you?" I asked, smiling, I heard her shift un-comfortably next to me, and almost felt guilty.

"I don't see how the topics are related." She rebuked, not willing to give up her secret easily. I smiled cheekily.

"One secret for another." I replied stubbornly. Lily must've really wanted to know the truth about how we knew the grounds so well, because she actually answered my original question.

"Even as I think that's overly-accusing, I'll tell you what I am. I am and Angelinos. They used to call us angels, because of how we used our gifts in the dark ages, but now, with Voldemort's in power, I'm not willing to risk my neck to up-hold a title." I could tell she was doing her best to procrastinate. She must've realized it wasn't working, because she sighed and said, "I can see and move things telepathically. So you can see how useful I could be to Voldemort. Please, it you can help it, don't tell anyone."

I know this might sound selfish, but I was slightly hurt by her previous comments, about me being stuck on myself and caring for no one else, so I was quick to agree on being trustworthy.

"I'll keep your secret, if you keep mine." I replied, and she seemed to agree by her silence. I hadn't expected the truth from her, but if she gave it, I had to too.

Prongs, you idiot, no! That'd be betraying your friends for a girl! Sirius's voice echoed in his head.

Lily gave me her secret; I have to give her one of mine! I replied in determination, and then ignoring my newfound sub-conscience, I explained how the Marauder's map worked to Lily. The next half-hour was rather enjoyable, at least, it was to me, and I actually made Lily laugh on several occasions. Once Lily was "sworn to secrecy," I proudly told her tales of the marauder's, with the caretaker more often than not posing as the bad-guy.

As time passed, and the school started to come out of their beds, the door opened (magically, of course, because if either Lily or I saw Sirius, he was a dead man.) As we walked back to the Gryffindor tower, I remember only a few of the many agreements. Both of us agreed to kill Sirius Black on sight, and to speak not a word of the events of the night. But it was a night I'll never forget, my most memorable Christmas Eve.

"Hey, Prongs, how'd you sleep last night?" Sirius asked snidely, and I only smiled.

"Wouldn't you like to know?"

I never saw dear old Padfoot smile behind me, or heard him mutter,

"Thank god for legilimency."